PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Construction Season

Dmajackson
May 13, 2008, 1:55 AM
Summers around the corner and as all Haligonians know this means construction. This thread is for any construction slated to happen in 2008. This includes residential, road, water, comercial, office, institutional, or anything else. I'll start off with a short list:

-Armoury Square
-5800 South Street
-St. James Place
-repaving and new sidewalks on Robie (Quinpool to Cunard)
-Chebucto Road reversing lane
-Founder's Corner
-QEII ER expansion
-Dockside

This thread is simply for listing projects. If there is a thread on a project already, please refrain from going on for to long on this thread. Pictures would be a wonderful addition.

someone123
May 13, 2008, 2:01 AM
There are many suburban projects as well and probably a bunch more in the city.

This gives a good rundown of construction projects: http://www.gov.ns.ca/finance/publish/conact/ca0803.pdf

There are dozens, but I'm not sure which are actually under construction since I haven't been in Halifax since December.

Dmajackson
May 13, 2008, 2:02 AM
Some pictures of construction all by me recently:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/2474733796_c884c09813_b.jpg
5800 South
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2465164673_ae965a6e27_o.jpg
Sacred Heart Boy's High School on SGR
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/2437060229_1f2397267d_b.jpg
Village Expansion

Dmajackson
May 13, 2008, 2:06 AM
Seeing that this could get a little out of hand maybe is better if we close this thread and create a photos thread only for construction. That would still allow a "list" of sorts but only of the ones we snap pictures of, eliminating the dozens in suburbia.

worldlyhaligonian
May 13, 2008, 2:08 AM
yeah, the sgr expansion of sacred heart will help the street feel more filled out.

Dmajackson
May 13, 2008, 2:40 AM
i agree it will fill it out more. I dont think that SGR will ever be completely filled out, like near Dresdon Row, the two parks kill the chances of that happening as well as Sacred Heart.

Get this, i take public bus to get home everyday. normally i'm at Sunnyside by 5:00 if i catch the 3:40 bus at SMU. Recently thanks to lots of construction the travel time has increased by 20-25 minutes on average!!!

Jonovision
May 13, 2008, 3:25 AM
U mentioned Dockside in the first post? whats that?
Also has anyone noticed the new sigh posts and gates going up around historic properties. They look quite nice.

someone123
May 13, 2008, 4:35 AM
The Sacred Heart site is fairly nice and I don't think it's a problem that it's not built up to the street.

The three sites that I think should be built up are at Spring Garden and Queen (or this could be a large building set behind some kind of square) and the empty spaces in front of Summer Gardens (the ~20 storey tower at Summer St) and that apartment building built at an angle from the street, next to where the single imitation-stone-clad house was built a few years ago.

I don't think the Summer Gardens lands will be filled in because they are condo but a development in front of the apartment building could happen. The site I'm talking about is where the cars are parked in this photo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2465164673_ae965a6e27_o.jpg

Dmajackson
May 13, 2008, 9:43 PM
U mentioned Dockside in the first post? whats that?
Also has anyone noticed the new sigh posts and gates going up around historic properties. They look quite nice.

Dockside is a two five storey condo/retail buildings project at the North Jetty in Bedford. There is a thread for it; "Agreement Signed for Bedford Waterfront". Its located just behind Mill Cove.

The building across the street from Summer Gardens is beautiful. I forget the name right now but it has RBC in it. Its right on the corner. If they could build something a nice looking as that i would greatly help SGR. If they can't join the two sections of SGR they should bring them as close as possible. If memory serves there was some sort of short proposal for the parking lot near there? Does anyone know anything about this?

someone123
May 20, 2008, 9:29 PM
There is a plan to build a life sciences lab for Dal (LSRI) on the parking lot next to the Tupper Building by Summer Street. As far as I know most of the funding for that is secured and it is going to start sometime this year.

Here are some renderings from http://fm.dal.ca/lsri.htm:
http://fm.dal.ca/images/lsri_four_views.jpg

Haliguy
May 21, 2008, 2:10 AM
There is a plan to build a life sciences lab for Dal (LSRI) on the parking lot next to the Tupper Building by Summer Street. As far as I know most of the funding for that is secured and it is going to start sometime this year.

Here are some renderings from http://fm.dal.ca/lsri.htm:
http://fm.dal.ca/images/lsri_four_views.jpg

I've been wondering about this building. I thought it was suppose to start this spring. I drove by there the other day I don't see anything going there at all not even a sign or anything.

Dmajackson
May 21, 2008, 2:44 AM
It'll be a nice addition to the area once its complete. Since it has to do with health it will further make this the health centre of the Maritimes.

spaustin
May 21, 2008, 9:21 PM
It's really a small bit of construction but, if true, its something that's very, very long overdue. I was at the South End Super Store yesterday and they've torn up a good portion of the ground along the Super Store side of Hollis. It looks like they're finally putting in sidewalks there. How sidewalks were missed in that spot is beyond me. The extremely well-worn muddy rut there is plenty indication of much foot traffic there is through there. Anyway, if that's what they're doing a belated well-done to HRM, Super Store or whoever is responsible :tup:

pchipman
May 22, 2008, 11:57 PM
I work in one of the labs that is supposed to move into the building once completed. People have been saying construction is to start 'anytime now' for years. Latest news is that construction should start in June...but who knows. I would be surprised if it was finished by the time I am (another 3 years).

The problem, as far as I understand it, is in securing funding and finalizing the layout. As the building aims to integrate various areas of basic science and clinical research as well as incorporate and expand an advanced animal care facility, it requires fairly specific structural features which may take more time to hash out. Also, the general idea is to design a building which would enhance and develop collaborations between researchers - shared labs and equipment, open concept etc. I think this issue has been fairly touchy and may have contributed to the delay in construction, although I imagine the limiting factor was the funding issues.

someone123
May 23, 2008, 12:15 AM
Yes, the plans came long before the funding. I've heard of several related funding announcements but I don't know how close they are to being able to break ground.

The building looks a little strange because of some of the lab-related requirements. There can't be large windows on every floor, for example.

Dmajackson
Jun 5, 2008, 4:48 PM
In the Chronicle Herald today:

Where the road crews are

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Thu. Jun 5 - 10:36 AM

MAJOR PROJECTS

•Old Sackville Road, intersection improvements (Dexter Construction) $124,114.80.

•Kearney Lake Road (Castle Hill/Broadholme), traffic signal installation (Black & McDonald) $155,458.96.

•Hammonds Plains road widening (Brycon) $2,229,929.24.

•Robie Street (Cunard to Jubilee) intersection improvements, paving, new sidewalks (Dexter) $1,647,520.54.

•Akerley Boulevard/John Savage Avenue, traffic signal installation (Black & McDonald) $302,010.61.

•Hammonds Plains Road/Pockwock Road intersection improvements (XL Electric) $202,114.84.

•Lacewood Drive/Willett Street, traffic signal rehabilitation (XL Electric) $165,946.78.

PAVING RENEWALS

Generally consists of the pulverization of existing asphalt and paving the street.

•Holland Road (Basin) $314,941.31

King Street, Dartmouth (Dexter) $163,314.39.

•Prince Street (Ocean) $501,630.65

Queen Street, Alderney Drive to Wentworth Street (Dexter) $371,723.83.

•Stokil Drive (Dexter) $442,469.26.

•Canary Crescent (Dexter) $648,525.69.

•Crown Drive (Dexter) $118,943.35.

Frederick Avenue (Brycon) $361,892.

Parkdale Avenue (Dexter) $350,727.74.

PAVING RESURFACINGS

The removal of existing asphalt and the placement of new asphalt

•South Park Street, Inglis Street to Fenwick Street (Ocean) $568,859.50.

•Greystone Drive (Ocean) $628,848.32.

•Hillside Avenue and Highland Avenue (Lafarge) $384,238.73.

•Celtic Drive, Kingston Crescent, Guy Street (Lafarge) $444,641.27.

STREET IMPROVEMENTS

•Generally consists of cold-planing existing asphalt, placement and compaction of new asphalt and associated reinstatement (Dexter) $819,571.40

Streets included in this package:

Connaught Avenue (Quinpool to Norwood), Connaught Avenue (Third to Quinpool), Bedford Highway (Dartmouth Road to Rocky Lake Drive), Rocky Lake Drive (north of Duke to railway overpass), Dunbrack Street (Main to Willett), Hillsboro Drive (Highway 7 to Karen)

MICRO SURFACING

•Applying the specified surface sealing material at each site, including surface preparation and pavement markings (Industrial Cold Milling) $780,563.15

Streets included in this package include:

Portland Street (Eisner to Portland Estates), Woodlawn Road (Guysborough to Mount Edward), Woodlawn Road (Valleyfield to Guysborough), Herring Cove Road (Maplewood to Winchester), Herring Cove Road (Purcells Cove to Maplewood), Herring Cove Road (Winchester to Cowie Hill), Gottingen Street (Cornwallis to Cunard), Gottingen Street (Cunard to North), North Street (Windsor to Robie), Oxford Street (Quinpool to North), Bedford Highway (Bayview to Flamingo), Dartmouth Road (East Wardour to Ridgevale), Sackville Drive (Florence to Riverside), Lucasville Road (Sackville to Sackville River), Purcells Cove Road (Burns to Williams Lake), Cobequid Road (Windsor Junction to railway crossing), North Preston Road (Long Lake bridge to Johnson), Dartmouth Road (Bedford Highway to East Wardour)

THIN OVERLAYS

Generally consists of the preparation of the existing roads for overlay, which may include cleaning, drag-coat patching, driveway asphalt lips and/or driveway adjustments, the application of a thin asphalt overlay and the replacement of the existing pavement makings: (Dexter) $710,453.80

Streets included in this package include:

Carlisle Drive (Sherwood to Shrewsbury), Oathill Crescent (Celtic to Somerset), Stewart Harris Drive (Grimes to Mount Edward), Princess Margaret Boulevard (Killkee Gate), Robie Street (Lady Hammond to Livingstone), Market Street (Prince to Sackville), Beech Street (Chebucto to Jubilee), Marlwood Drive (Edward Laurie cul-de-sac), Lancaster Drive (View Royal to St. Pauls), Tribune Court (Lancaster Drive cul-de-sac), Guildwood Crescent (Leiblin Drive), Judy Avenue (Beaver Bank to Gloria), Crimp Court (Robert Drive end), Madison Drive (Orchard to Oakridge)

MAIN ARTERY PATCHING

(Lafarge) $614,109.69

Dartmouth Road (East Wardour/Ridgevale), Hammonds Plains Road (Pockwock/Yankeetown East), Main Street (West Harlen/Major), Mount Edward Road (Cranberry/Wildwood), Pleasant Street (Everette/Imperial Oil), Lacewood Drive (West Radcliffe/Bi-Hi ramp), South Park Street (University/Spring Garden), Connaught Avenue (Quinpool/First), North Street (Windsor/Robie), Quinpool Road (Oxford/Monastery), Mumford Road (Joseph Howe/railway), Herring Cove Road (Maplewood/Winchester), Leiblin Drive (Guildwood West/Old Sambro), Herring Cove Road (Punch Bowl South/Layton), Highway 3 (North Green/Devonshire)

NEW PAVING

Paula Drive, Brighton Avenue, Dundee Street, Trafalgar Turn, Hummingbird Lane, Timberlane Terrace (Dexter) $687,052.99

CRACK SEALING

Various locations (Road Savers Maritime) $223,566.95

GRAND TOTAL $13,236,116.80

For a more detailed list of paving projects around the municipality this summer, go to: www.halifax.ca/designcon/cons/index.html

SOURCE: HRM.

Some of the above street listings — like the list for "thin overlays" — may change slightly. Consequently, additional streets may be added or the list changed, depending upon the evaluation.
Source: http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1060062.html