PDA

View Full Version : Problems arising from construction activities

garyperry
May 3, 2008, 9:22 AM
hi i am doing research into problems arising from construction and how companies try to iron out these problems.I know of one where the concrete had special ice in it because of the extreeme heat can anyone think of any others.
It may be:
Construction Techniques
concrete
skyscrapers
construction in dubai,saudi anywhere

MarkDaMan
May 3, 2008, 12:38 PM
Built on a cheap budget, The Portland Building which proclaimed itself as the first major postmodern building, designed by Michael Graves, has had tremendous problems. Those include a leaking curtain wall, sloping top floor, dreary cave like feeling with few and tiny windows.

Here's a pretty good write-up on it.
http://www.architectureweek.com/2002/0605/culture_1-1.html

Coldrsx
May 4, 2008, 6:18 PM
having worked at the project manager on a large scale residential high-rise and dealing with change orders, RFIs, and the sort...you get to know that every single job has problems. Architects forget or overlook something that an engineer now must have, redesign. Mechanical needs to be where electrical is, redesign. etc. etc.

good supers, i mean the really good ones...can spot issues on blueprints the day they are dropped off and then can call a site meeting weeks or months in advance of that work being done to rectify it.

however, many onsite issues happen such as severe sloping of cured concrete or even bowing between columns. These all have tolerances and they can often be fixed after the fact.

Basically the head project manager and site super are responsible for these along with the head consultants. Goes to show you how important interfacing is and how site meetings can resolve problems before they become "major issues"