PDA

View Full Version : 424 Metcalfe/Beaver Barracks Redevelopment | Completed

Pages : [1] 2

waterloowarrior
May 1, 2008, 10:15 PM
424 metcalfe/beaver barracks by CCOC (Barry J Hobin & associates is the architect)
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-lacac/2008/05-08/424_site_presentation_8.5x11.pdf
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-lacac/2008/05-08/City%20let%20Lazear%20Apr22.pdf

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/424metcalfeaerial.jpg

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/424metcalfesiteplan.jpg

I really like the site plan for this one

Kitchissippi
May 1, 2008, 10:23 PM
:previous: I like the courtyard set up but I'm not so sure about the 8 storey building in the corner. I was really hoping they would set aside some set-back so that in the far future, the Museum of Nature would gain some visibility from the Queensway. Right now the perspective seems crammed. When the museum building and the Windsor Arms apartments were built, the Queensway was a railroad so that view was never considered.

Also, Metcalfe is supposed to be a tourist gateway -- tourists coming from the west (eastbound Queensway) are signed to go this way to get to Parliament Hill and the InfoCentre. It would be nice to see something more festive and exciting on the corner.

kwoldtimer
May 2, 2008, 1:57 AM
Interesting. A proposal for that site has been a long time coming.:tup:

Rathgrith
May 2, 2008, 2:16 AM
Isn't the Iraqi Embassy there right now?

Kitchissippi
May 2, 2008, 2:34 AM
The Iraqi embassy is on McLeod, on the front side of the museum. This site is behind, beside the YMCA

kwoldtimer
May 2, 2008, 2:39 AM
:previous: I like the courtyard set up but I'm not so sure about the 8 storey building in the corner. I was really hoping they would set aside some set-back so that in the far future, the Museum of Nature would gain some visibility from the Queensway. Right now the perspective seems crammed. When the museum building and the Windsor Arms apartments were built, the Queensway was a railroad so that view was never considered.

Also, Metcalfe is supposed to be a tourist gateway -- tourists coming from the west (eastbound Queensway) are signed to go this way to get to Parliament Hill and the InfoCentre. It would be nice to see something more festive and exciting on the corner.

Perhaps Ms. Holmes will help you out - she'll probably think that 8 stories on that corner is too tall! :haha:

AuxTown
May 2, 2008, 3:36 AM
Perhaps Ms. Holmes will help you out - she'll probably think that 8 stories on that corner is too tall! :haha:

I'm sure they've already thought of that and actually hope to get approved for 5-6 storeys. What a farce.

movebyleap
May 2, 2008, 3:40 AM
How odd! I've never seen those buildings before! Barracks? Well, in any case - good thing they're getting rid of them. They're just awful looking!!

waterloowarrior
May 2, 2008, 3:49 AM
here's a project overview (http://www.ccochousing.org/announcements/424%20Metcalfe%20Project%20Overview.pdf) from CCOC's website

Mille Sabords
May 2, 2008, 3:01 PM

Personally, I don't have a problem with an 8-storey building providing a strong edge to this corner, to signal an entrance into urban conditions from the highway, and to channel the perspective and the view toward the museum with a sharper focus than if the eye were distracted with the type of aimless suburban shrubbery one would find within a typical Ottawa "building setback".

I give this proposal good marks on urbanity and on their approach to site development.

I'm also happy to see they're loosing the paramedics station, which was in the wrong location to begin with. My wife used to live in the Windsor Arms years ago when they were talking about building that paramedics station and most people weren't too thrilled with the prospect of sirens at any hour right by their windows. Good riddance.

Jamaican-Phoenix
May 2, 2008, 3:12 PM
Now THAT's what I call urban infill! :tup:

ajldub
May 2, 2008, 7:38 PM
:previous:
:previous:
I'm with you Milles, I like the density. It takes priority over views from the queensway in my opinion. In Dublin, where I have been living for five years now, when a highway cuts through a city they make the walls surrounding the highway out of stone. This absorbs 100% of the sounds and vibrations so you can walk along the stone wall and have no idea that cars are on the other side. It's great. We should do it in Ottawa. Ideally I'd like to see the NCC bury the queensway and put down a tree-lined boulevard with a speed limit of 70 on top, but like most things we bring up on this forum it's far too bold and visionary an idea for them.

So is this project a mix of public housing/condos then?

AuxTown
May 2, 2008, 9:19 PM
Besides being adjacent to the Queensway, that spot is a gem. It's really nice along that stretch of Metcalfe, the park around the Nature museum is gonna be really nice, and you can walk to the Glebe or DT in minutes. These units will bring in a few bucks.

Jamaican-Phoenix
May 2, 2008, 9:54 PM
Besides being adjacent to the Queensway, that spot is a gem. It's really nice along that stretch of Metcalfe, the park around the Nature museum is gonna be really nice, and you can walk to the Glebe or DT in minutes. These units will bring in a few bucks.

That is a really good location. Close to the Glebe and Downtown, Bank St., the Museum and a nice park, Elgin St., the Canal...Dang, maybe I should try and move in there... :haha:

Kitchissippi
May 2, 2008, 10:47 PM
I have no problem with the density, in fact I would like to see something denser, with an even taller building at the corner, possibly to balance with the YMCA tower. What I was hoping for was the possibility of a wider sidewalk on the Metcalfe side, with a setback that at least lined up with the museum building's curved "apse". I find the Windsor Arms a bit too forward and it pinches the view. It has gotten worse since the Museum of Nature built its south addition which presents a black stone wall as you drive towards it with the museum's name on it. It's really cool (I think there is or was supposed to have water flowing down it) but it needs more width to be appreciated better because it feels a bit closed in. I know the Windsor Arms is in the way, but maybe it too gets "redeveloped" somehow in the future.

I've gone onto Museum's new terrace and it is a spectacular space. When the East side opens, the cafeteria will have access to it.

rodionx
May 3, 2008, 1:47 AM
Personally, I don't have a problem with an 8-storey building providing a strong edge to this corner, to signal an entrance into urban conditions from the highway,

That corner could definitely use an eight story signal that it's the beginning of a residential area. Currently, it takes drivers a couple of blocks to figure out they're not on the highway anymore. So I'm ok with the lack of views. Eyes on the road!

ajldub
May 3, 2008, 1:02 PM
It would actually be a great place for a twentysomething tower that would make a bold statement that downtown begins here. And it would look great driving right by it on the Queensway.

adam-machiavelli
May 5, 2008, 3:20 AM
I was just talking to someone who helped do the social aspects of the planning of this place. Apparently every new unit is going to be subsidized housing.

ajldub
May 5, 2008, 8:27 AM
Maybe one of the professional planners on this site can clarify things for me, but hasn't it been shown time and again that building projects that are 100% public housing is a really bad idea?

Mille Sabords
May 5, 2008, 4:33 PM
Maybe one of the professional planners on this site can clarify things for me, but hasn't it been shown time and again that building projects that are 100% public housing is a really bad idea?

You're right, the most current thinking says that a tenure mix is much better. Toronto is experimenting a new mixed-tenure approach (rental, subsidized rental, and condo ownership) in their Regent Park redevelopment, which is a massive laboratory and one I think will prove itself as the way to go.

This particular one, I'm not too worried about because it is one relatively small site and it already abuts a private rental building (the Windsor Arms) as part of a fairly fine-grained urban fabric.

But there are several areas in the city, starting with the "projects" in Lowertown, which would lend themselves to the Regent Park formula when the time comes to redevelop them.

Bucolic Urbanity
May 5, 2008, 5:02 PM

I believe that Diane Holmes got a bit too involved early on and then the matter of conflict of interest came up and the City went hands off.

I have the original PDF of the RFP but I don't know how to post links like that.

p_xavier
May 5, 2008, 6:43 PM

What I would suggest is a subsidy directly for housing, based on income and family dependants. This way none of this complicated mess, the city has no value in buidling housing anyways, and being public, it just costs lots more in the end.

adam-machiavelli
May 5, 2008, 6:58 PM
I too support mixed housing in theory. However, there are many many examples of mixed housing where lower income/subsidized residents felt or were subjected to behaviour by more wealthier residents (with more legal resources at the ready) with the intention of kicking them out of the building just because they think the value of their condo will go up by $5-10k for doing so.

c_speed3108
May 5, 2008, 7:31 PM
The tricky thing about mixed developments is while everyone seems to support the idea in principle, when it comes to laying hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table...people run.

or as another poster said, if they don't run it creates a class structure in buildings/complexes which does not do anyone any good either.

I am personally a more of a fan of a) trying to protect against the rising costs of housing and b) helping those in lower incomes improve there economic position through the opportunities available around them so that they can then afford reasonably priced properties.

the capital urbanite
May 5, 2008, 8:28 PM
...I'd like to see better integration with the YMCA.

Aren't they supposed to renovating the YMCA tower?...why not extend the Courtyard concept into the YMCA lot?

c_speed3108
May 5, 2008, 9:18 PM
...I'd like to see better integration with the YMCA.

Aren't they supposed to renovating the YMCA tower?...why not extend the Courtyard concept into the YMCA lot?

Nice idea! :)

Mille Sabords
May 6, 2008, 4:00 PM
The tricky thing about mixed developments is while everyone seems to support the idea in principle, when it comes to laying hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table...people run.

or as another poster said, if they don't run it creates a class structure in buildings/complexes which does not do anyone any good either.

I am personally a more of a fan of a) trying to protect against the rising costs of housing and b) helping those in lower incomes improve there economic position through the opportunities available around them so that they can then afford reasonably priced properties.

I spent some time thinking about this and they are very good points. It is not a simple matter to pin down with a single solution, though, because economic conditions change and may require different tools and types of responses.

For example: instituting a housing subsidy to poorer households is a good approach in theory and works best in a context of economic stability or prosperity. But in times of economic instability or recession, there are potentially more households to subsidize at a time when tax revenues may also drop from a slowdown in growth, lower amounts of user fees collected, fewer building permits issued, fewer development charges collected, etc. How does a municipality navigate such a system of support through time and economic ups and downs?

On the other hand, for all the trouble that comes with it, housing stock constitutes an immobile asset which a municipality can leverage, or lease out for revenue to a management company, or package as a safe type of REIT with a rate of return that approximates government bonds, since there is virtually no vacancy in assisted housing units and rent increases (and therefore rates of return), along with operating costs, are predictable.

And, on your other point regarding buyers unwilling to purchase next to subsidized housing: Yes, that is the experience. Which is why so many eyes are on Regent Park as it unfolds. The bet they are making is that, through urban design, the streetscape will be integrated in such a way as to mask the difference between a subsidized building and a market building. Much as in older urban fabrics (and in older European cities), where a streetscape is a succession of contiguous buildings and a passerby won't know who lives in them because they all have storefronts along the sidewalk, Regent Park has gone boldly toward a genuine type of urbanity that will allow buildings to meld into a streetscape and therefore create a "place", or a neighbourhood, where the tenure matters less than the overall desirability of living there (because it is lively, close to everything, convenient, walkable, etc.).

We have been treating subsidized housing as "sites" and isolating them, either geographically or through urban design blunders like setbacks, side yards, etc., that make them identifiable and prone to standing out, when in fact we should be integrating those buildings as completely as possible with their neighbours to stitch an urban fabric that won't let you tell the difference.

waterloowarrior
Jul 11, 2008, 4:41 PM
up for LACAC approval
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-lacac/2008/07-17/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0147.htm

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-lacac/2008/07-17/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0147_files/image008.jpg

waterloowarrior
Jul 11, 2008, 7:37 PM
Ottawa.ca downtown development page
http://ottawa.ca/residents/planning/downtown/construction_en-36.jpg
424 Metcalfe
Proposed redevelopment - former Beaver Barracks property
Type: Private non-profit rental apartments and townhouses
Developer: Centretown Citizens Ottawa Non-profit Housing Corporation (CCOC)
Architect: Barry Hobin
Units: 185

waterloowarrior
Jul 16, 2008, 5:01 PM
application page (http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__6ATJ3P)on the city's website is up

c_speed3108
Jul 17, 2008, 3:53 PM
For a non-profit, I must say, this looks pretty darn good :tup:

harls
Aug 21, 2008, 1:17 PM
WTF..

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2008/08/21/6521256-sun.html

New station coming down

City's building on site for housing 'poor planning'

By LAURA CZEKAJ, SUN MEDIA

A paramedic post that cost the city about $600,000 to build four years ago with funds from the Ontario government will be torn down as part of a new affordable housing development.

In what is being called a case of "poor planning" on the part of the municipality, the station on the northwest corner of Catherine and Metcalfe streets will be demolished and incorporated into the Beaver Barracks affordable housing development to maximum use of the space.

DEMOLITION COSTLY

When the first stage of the project is complete, including the construction of three buildings, one of which will house the new paramedic post, the second stage will begin with construction on the former station site.

The cost of demolishing the existing post and including it in the new design will cost the Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation about $100,000. Altogether, the first phase of the project will cost about $26 million.

The non-profit housing provider has received $8.5 million from the three levels of government through the Affordable Housing Initiative. The remaining $18 million will be financed.

What makes the demolition of the post even more curious is why the site was selected in the first place.

The city inherited the property from the region, which had purchased it from the federal government to build affordable housing.

Somerset Coun. Diane Holmes said whoever selected the property as the site for the paramedic station either wasn't aware of its intended use or was swayed by the fact it was city-owned and didn't require the purchase of another property.

"I think it was an expedient move," she says. "There was a need for a new site and here was a piece of land the city owned, but in fact it was a very poor use of the site."

The cost of building the station was drawn from capital funding provided by the province as part of the transfer of paramedic services to the city.

The station serves as a rest stop for paramedics who have space to park their ambulance between calls.

"It seems evident that it's poor planning," says Kevin Gaudet, Ontario director for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

To have a new building that has to be torn down to accommodate a newer building, at the initial expense of the taxpayer, is an absurd waste of money, Gaudet says.

CHOSEN FOR LOCATION

The city-owned plot of land was chosen largely for its accessibility to the Queensway and downtown.

"The intent was to get housing on that site from day one and it wasn't really fair or appropriate to hold up the paramedics' post while we were waiting to sort out the housing problem," said city housing director Russell Mawby.

It wasn't until after the station was built that the province provided funding allowing affordable housing on that site to move forward.

Paramedic deputy chief Pierre Poirier doesn't anticipate any impact on service or response times since the new post will be completed before the existing one is demolished.

CCOC intends to break ground on the first batch of buildings this fall.

:no:

Mille Sabords
Aug 21, 2008, 1:59 PM
I've always wondered about that paramedic station. Even before the Beaver Barracks project took shape there is the nice old apartment building next door, the Windsor Arms. The logic of putting a potentially noisy paramedic station next to an apartment building always escaped me.

waterloowarrior
Oct 17, 2008, 2:47 AM
Contamination delays sale of Beaver Barracks site
Wednesday, 08 October 2008
By Megan Haynes
Centretown News

A disagreement has delayed the sale of the property owned by the city at 424 Metcalfe St. to a nonprofit housing corporation.

The land, better known as Beaver Barracks, is contaminated with old pipes and other leftover waste, and the interpretation of who is responsible to clean up the site has delayed the sale of the property until Nov. 26.

The city will determine where it can provide funding support after it receives a revised budget from the Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation, an organization that deals with low-income and

sustainable housing. The CCOC plans to buy the vacant property from the city for one dollar andturn it into 140 units of low-income residences.

Russell Mawby, the city’s housing director, says Ottawa has a legal obligation to ensure the site is clean enough to build on.

Because the CCOC wants to dig out a hole in the ground and fill it with concrete, Mawby says there is an issue over who is responsible to pay to remove the soil and dump it.

“It’s never been a secret [the ground is contaminated],” says Catherine Boucher of the CCOC.

“What we understood was that the city’s real estate and property department had set aside money toremediate the site.”

The site has been cleaned up to current environmental standards, says Mawby. He explains the ground isn’t contaminated with chemicals or dangerous materials, but is full of garbage and debris left over from its previous dwellers. Mawby stresses the soil isn’t dangerous; rather just pricey to remove.

“I think it’s a little disingenuous for the city to say we’ll do the work to decontaminate the soil, so long as you don’t dig,” says Boucher.

The cost to clear out the dirt is estimated at $600,000 which the CCOC doesn’t have, says Boucher.

“We’re a non-profit corporation. We’re not Minto. The money has to come out of the project itself. So either our building is less sustainable or less affordable,” she adds.

Because the units will be low income housing, the city can’t let the CCOC raise the rent prices, says Mawby.

The city and the CCOC are working on the revised budget, which will be presented to the council within the next few weeks, says Mawby.

However, Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson says the city simply doesn’t have the money to cover these costs.

“Right now, we have to find $57 million in cuts,” she says. But she adds she is willing to wait for the revised budget before saying that the city cannot provide funding.

Somerset Coun. Diane Holmes, who proposed the motion to defer the sale, says the city has an obligationto clean up the site.

“We’re squabbling over $600,000, and we’ll be getting that paid back with 50 years of property taxes,” says Holmes.

Boucher says the cost of construction will go up once the ground freezes and as the price of steel continues to climb.

These factors will be included in the resubmitted budget, which Boucher wants to have at councilbefore the end of the month.

ottawatraffic
Oct 17, 2008, 1:58 PM
“We’re squabbling over $600,000, and we’ll be getting that paid back with 50 years of property taxes,” says Holmes.

Amazing how she does not recognize this when it comes to development charge relief in her ward.

AuxTown
Oct 17, 2008, 2:10 PM

Amazing how she does not recognize this when it comes to development charge relief in her ward.

How unfortunately true that is.

waterloowarrior
Nov 8, 2008, 6:50 PM
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/beavermslive.jpg

waterloowarrior
Feb 26, 2009, 5:31 PM
http://beaverbarracks.ca/gallery

http://assets.beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/2008-06-01/beaver_barracks_aerial_view.800.png?1224050573

http://assets.beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/2008-05-15/20080522-005.jpg?1224050573

http://assets.beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/2008-05-15/20080522-004.jpg?1224050573

http://assets.beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/2008-05-15/20080522-003.jpg?1224050573

osirisboy
Feb 27, 2009, 11:38 PM
is there a reason why its so short?

Ottawade
Feb 28, 2009, 2:21 AM
Probably due the extremely close proximity to the Queensway (nothing like owning a penthouse that looks out on to highway traffic!) and the close proximity to the nature museum. It would be a bit of shame to brood over such a nice looking castle :)

eemy
Feb 28, 2009, 12:29 PM
It looks like it would be a nice place to live in. Not ever building has to be a highrise.

osirisboy
Feb 28, 2009, 2:18 PM
Probably due the extremely close proximity to the Queensway (nothing like owning a penthouse that looks out on to highway traffic!) and the close proximity to the nature museum. It would be a bit of shame to brood over such a nice looking castle :)

I dont understand, you shouldnt have tall buildings by a highway? I would rather be 25 floors above the queensway not at eye level of the thing. and a tall building on the catherine street side wouldnt intrude on the museum.

osirisboy
Feb 28, 2009, 2:20 PM
It looks like it would be a nice place to live in. Not ever building has to be a highrise.

when you are downtown they sure as hell should be. especially when its right by the ugly ass YMCA tower.

kwoldtimer
Mar 27, 2009, 11:45 PM
Work now seems to be underway on this site. If so, it must be some kind of Ottawa speed record.

drawarc
Apr 2, 2009, 4:03 AM
Should be a decent infill development. That corner building looks interesting in the renderings.

Ottawade
May 6, 2009, 4:39 PM
One of the Jane's Walk this weekend was given by the director of maintence at the CCOC. It was an interesting walk and one of the stops along the walk was the Beaver Barracks site. Talked about the ground floor retail going in, hoping to be complete on the first phase in about 2 years. Also talked about ideas for the name of the private street that will be put through the development.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3574/3507587272_3eafecc4fb_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3507587534_ef7dc6d9b4_b.jpg

jcollins
May 6, 2009, 5:06 PM
One of the Jane's Walk this weekend was given by the director of maintence at the CCOC. It was an interesting walk and one of the stops along the walk was the Beaver Barracks site. Talked about the ground floor retail going in, hoping to be complete on the first phase in about 2 years. Also talked about ideas for the name of the private street that will be put through the development.

Which of the buildings has the ground floor retail going in?
Based on the renderings and the plan I couldn't tell.

Ottawade
May 6, 2009, 6:14 PM
Apparently the side along Cathrine street will have ground floor retail though they aren't sure which type of tenants they will get as they aren't sure coffee shops and the like to take up residence there. (I said hardware store!)

Not sure if its the Phase I or II or both...

kwoldtimer
May 7, 2009, 1:30 AM
Apparently the side along Cathrine street will have ground floor retail though they aren't sure which type of tenants they will get as they aren't sure coffee shops and the like to take up residence there. (I said hardware store!)

Not sure if its the Phase I or II or both...

Seems a very odd location for any sort of retail. I could see small offices of some sort, but that would be about it.

Ottawade
May 7, 2009, 2:27 AM
I agree, though they definitely have the right idea. When all is said and done their development will have 262 units I believe. I'd imagine we will see more along the lines of what is on the other side of Catherine (small real estate branch offices and the like).

waterloowarrior
May 27, 2009, 12:14 AM
southfacing from above
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/3561460828/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3623/3561460828_374c83fb39.jpg

AuxTown
May 27, 2009, 1:37 AM
I noticed the other morning that the crane for this project comes REALLY close to the YMCA building. Great to see things moving along with this project and EDC despite the financial turmoil. We need a couple more cranes to go up as the nature museum, HP, and Mondrian shouldn't be up for too much longer.

Deez
Jul 13, 2009, 3:36 AM
foundation nearing completion (my photo)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/IMG_1793.jpg

waterloowarrior
Aug 7, 2009, 2:44 AM
crappy shot at a stop light. not too tall yet.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2506/3796346117_0004b31649_o.jpg

harls
Aug 7, 2009, 12:58 PM
I noticed the crane at the Museum was finally taken down (Off topic, sorta.)

waterloowarrior
Aug 13, 2009, 3:27 AM
by Southfacing... nice angle http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/3810440734/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/3810440734_8596cf7261.jpg

AuxTown
Aug 31, 2009, 9:55 PM
Here's a couple of renderings that I don't think have been posted yet. Looks pretty sweet if you ask me. Too bad it'll be so noisy being so close to the 417. From www.beaverbarracks.ca

http://beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/20090523T125200-001.jpg

http://beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/20090523T125151-001.jpg

http://beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/2008-06-01/beaver_barracks_aerial_view.800.png

http://beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/2008-05-15/20080522-005.jpg

http://beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/2008-05-15/20080522-004.jpg

http://beaverbarracks.ca/gallery/2008-05-15/20080522-002.jpg

rodionx
Sep 1, 2009, 1:50 AM
I like it too. It's very Centretownish, if such an adjective exists. It's like they took the major Centretown building types and put them all together on one site. Nothing flashy, but it works.

mrarlyn
Nov 6, 2009, 2:09 AM
I'll be keeping an eye on it as it goes up. This is a great example of what can be built even with the local politics.

jcollins
Nov 6, 2009, 2:14 AM
Anyone have any recent pictures of this one?

waterloowarrior
Nov 7, 2009, 5:58 PM
Ottawa Urbain has some pictures
http://www.ottawaurbain.ca/424-metcalfe-mise-a-jour/444/

http://www.ottawaurbain.ca/include/ottawaurbain/images/uploaded/1257125787_31266_thumb.jpg

Davis137
Nov 8, 2009, 1:45 PM
I like seeing this little site above the Queensway...makes it look like more development and rejuveination (spelling?) is taking place downtown and in centertown...

waterloowarrior
Nov 17, 2009, 8:51 PM
aerial by southfacing from oct 25
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/4048146940/
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/4048146940_bbae813e13.jpg

here are a few more angles
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/4048156696/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/4048155694/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/4047406849/

Bootawn
Nov 20, 2009, 4:10 PM
Website addy: www.beaverbarracks.ca

Click on the "Updates" tab at the top of the page for ongoing photographic updates of the construction.

You can also follow us on twitter @beaverbarracks

Cheers!

waterloowarrior
Dec 4, 2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.ottawaurbain.ca/include/ou/images/uploaded/1259583693_21379.jpg

more at Ottawa Urbain
http://www.ottawaurbain.ca/424-metalfe-mise-a-jour-iii/459/

waterloowarrior
Jan 5, 2010, 10:20 PM
a few pics from the beaver barracks site (nice site Bootawn!)

http://7.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kv4in9bpfT1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg

http://14.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kv2pmmJNH61qa6vj9o1_500.jpg

waterloowarrior
Feb 18, 2010, 4:24 AM
Fire at construction site blocks downtown traffic

THE OTTAWA CITIZENFEBRUARY 17, 2010 8:21 PM

A fire on the seventh floor of a 10-storey residential building under construction at the corner of Metcalfe and Catherine streets Wednesday evening forced the closure of some downtown roads.

The call for the blaze came in at 7:03 p.m. and firefighters arrived at the scene about five minutes later.

Fire officials said heat from a Salamander-type heater “probably ignited combustible materials” on the seventh floor of the highrise, which included wooden scaffolding and tarps.

The fire was contained to an area of the seventh floor and was out within 20 minutes, despite a lack of working elevators and “a lot of slugging” on the part of firefighters, said Ottawa fire District Chief John Simpson.

Forty firefighters in 15 trucks fought the two-alarm blaze.

Catherine was closed from Elgin to O’Connor streets, and Metcalfe was closed from Isabella to Argyle streets.

An estimate of the cost of damages was not immediately available Wednesday evening.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

waterloowarrior
Feb 20, 2010, 9:58 PM
some recent pics from the beaver barracks website
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ky3zalGe2M1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ky3wvreizZ1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ky3zz54aiH1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg

waterloowarrior
Mar 9, 2010, 9:01 PM
From the Beaver Barracks website (more pics here (http://beaverbarracks.tumblr.com/))

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kytrw7awer1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kytrd44Q8C1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg

waterloowarrior
May 26, 2010, 1:42 PM
more from the Beaver Barracks site

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2q70jFPKV1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2q2tqgPZ31qa6vj9o1_500.jpg

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l29u9rAjXJ1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg

Davis137
May 27, 2010, 3:04 AM
Hmmm...it is actually starting to look kinda bland with the colour of brick choices they used...it blends in a lot with the surrounding buildings...unless of course, that was their intent.

waterloowarrior
Jun 7, 2010, 10:50 PM
Phase 2 site plan application is in... no images/documents up yet
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__7YO1I4

jcollins
Jun 8, 2010, 2:25 PM
So Im guessing the stacked townhomes in the middle of this block are no longer getting started this fall? Are they being done after the 2nd phase?

The 2nd phase has also changed, on the beaver barracks website it says it'll have ground floor townhomes, but on the site plan application it says ground floor commercial. I like that instead. The ground level townhomes of the 4 storey building on Argile are good, but for Caroline, retail is essential.

Edit: Nevermind, elsewhere on their website they talk about commercial space in phase 2

concrete06
Jun 15, 2010, 1:51 AM
Taken June 13 by me

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/June%2014%202010/IMG_2492.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/June%2014%202010/IMG_2489.jpg

waterloowarrior
Aug 2, 2010, 5:21 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4853794944_56e5c976b3.jpg

AuxTown
Aug 2, 2010, 5:50 PM
I like this project. It's a little different, but not so far out there that it completely alienates the existing old apartment blocks. I would love to see more like this along the 417.

waterloowarrior
Aug 11, 2010, 1:13 AM
some new pics on the beaver barracks website
http://beaverbarracks.tumblr.com/

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6xz4ixpRW1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg

concrete06
Aug 11, 2010, 2:00 AM
Taken late July by me

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/Aug%206%202010/IMG_2631.jpg

LoveBug
Nov 24, 2010, 1:01 AM
Was just searching for any information on the beaver barracks because I will be moving in at the end of December, I came across this forum and thought you all may find it interesting to see what it looks like inside.
Also some neat facts, its a sustainable building, it is using some new unique cooling system from the ground. Not sure on the details but it should be somewhere online. It is a NON SMOKING building, you can't smoke anywhere in the building not even on the balcony!
This is a two bedroom corner unit. 921 sqft 464 Metcalfe

This is our layout
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/realapartment.jpg

Hallway Entrance
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3613.jpg

Livingroom
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3686.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3625.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3633.jpg

View from livingroom window
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3696.jpg

Side Livingroom Window
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3685.jpg

Kitchen
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3626.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3693.jpg

(can see diningroom as well)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3694.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3683.jpg

Bedroom 1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3672.jpg

Bedroom 2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3675.jpg

Bathroom
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3616.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3618.jpg

I tried using the panorama setting on my camera but I havent perfected it yet so its a little off haha sorry but u get the idea
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/LoveBugAngel/Beaver%20Barracks/DSCF3684.jpg

c_speed3108
Nov 24, 2010, 1:49 AM
Was just searching for any information on the beaver barracks because I will be moving in at the end of December, I came across this forum and thought you all may find it interesting to see what it looks like inside.
Also some neat facts, its a sustainable building, it is using some new unique cooling system from the ground. Not sure on the details but it should be somewhere online. It is a NON SMOKING building, you can't smoke anywhere in the building not even on the balcony!
This is a two bedroom corner unit. 921 sqft 464 Metcalfe

First off, welcome to the forum :multibow

Many thanks for sharing your pictures. It looks like you have a very nice and spacious unit!

That is awesome that it is non smoking. There was talk on the news last week about more buildings going that way.

AuxTown
Nov 24, 2010, 2:14 AM
A patient of mine, a very nice lady with a mental illness, has been offered one of the subsidized units in this project. I think it's great that they city will have some new stock to add to their dilapidated public housing projects. As far as non-smoking goes, I wish you good luck. With subsidized units will come people with mental and physical illnesses, many of whom will be VERY heavy smokers. How will they enforce it?

LoveBug
Nov 25, 2010, 2:52 AM
Upon moving in you have to sign something that says you will not be smoking in your unit. My mother and I will be living in there together and are being subsidised. We have been living in a housing project for 13 years and it is DISGUSTING how some people live. To my understanding there is a limited amount of subsidised units in there. A credit check along with proof of insurance and a background check is done on you before you are offered a suite. I assume this is their way of weeding people out. Everyone who has applied for this living space has been informed at a manditory group session that everyone must attend before even being considered to move in that this building is a non-smoking property. You can still move in if you are a smoker but can not smoke in the building itself. We were told appropriate measures would be taken if someone is caught smoking, I would assume some sort of warning to begin with, then perhaps a fine, and eventually eviction? Thats just my guess.
I am very asthmatic and the place I currently live in is horrible for smoke. My bedroom window is just above someones balcony who smokes and I have got CO2 poisioning TWICE from the smoke. Our apartment itself smells as though there are 5 people smoking in here.
Moving into this building we are hoping to escape number 1 the smokers, 2 the filth, 3 the drugs and prositution and gangs that we are exposed to on a daily basis. I am 25 years old now and have been living in my current building since I was 13 with my single mother. Thankfully due to my upbringing I did not fall into the trap that many of the kids who grew up here fall into. Anyhoo I'm rambling now. I just can't wait to move!

Here is an article about the non-smoking. My mother was also interviewed for it and is written about in the article check it out
http://centretownnewsonline.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1934&Itemid=94

c_speed3108
Nov 25, 2010, 3:04 AM
Upon moving in you have to sign something that says you will not be smoking in your unit. My mother and I will be living in there together and are being subsidised. We have been living in a housing project for 13 years and it is DISGUSTING how some people live. To my understanding there is a limited amount of subsidised units in there. A credit check along with proof of insurance and a background check is done on you before you are offered a suite. I assume this is their way of weeding people out. Everyone who has applied for this living space has been informed at a manditory group session that everyone must attend before even being considered to move in that this building is a non-smoking property. You can still move in if you are a smoker but can not smoke in the building itself. We were told appropriate measures would be taken if someone is caught smoking, I would assume some sort of warning to begin with, then perhaps a fine, and eventually eviction? Thats just my guess.
I am very asthmatic and the place I currently live in is horrible for smoke. My bedroom window is just above someones balcony who smokes and I have got CO2 poisioning TWICE from the smoke. Our apartment itself smells as though there are 5 people smoking in here.
Moving into this building we are hoping to escape number 1 the smokers, 2 the filth, 3 the drugs and prositution and gangs that we are exposed to on a daily basis. I am 25 years old now and have been living in my current building since I was 13 with my single mother. Thankfully due to my upbringing I did not fall into the trap that many of the kids who grew up here fall into. Anyhoo I'm rambling now. I just can't wait to move!

Here is an article about the non-smoking. My mother was also interviewed for it and is written about in the article check it out
http://centretownnewsonline.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1934&Itemid=94

Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation always appeared to me to be considerably better at managing it's buildings than Ottawa Community Housing....although I have no direct experience with either.

Ottawan
Nov 25, 2010, 3:36 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures LoveBug. Congratulations to yourself and your mother - it looks like a beautiful unit!

RTWAP
Nov 30, 2010, 4:42 AM
Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation always appeared to me to be considerably better at managing it's buildings than Ottawa Community Housing....although I have no direct experience with either.

I used to be a tenant back when I was a student. They were very thorough, organized and efficient landlords. I wish they'd take over all of our public housing stock.

LoveBug
Dec 3, 2010, 5:27 AM
moving date got moved up, I'll be in there on the 15th woo hoo :D

c_speed3108
Dec 8, 2010, 8:44 PM
Fire in the basement.

Welder sparks fire that forces evacuation of downtown Ottawa highrise

Ottawa Citizen December 8, 2010 3:30 PM

OTTAWA - A fire at a downtown highrise apartment building late Wednesday morning caused an estimated $50,000 damage.

About 10 fire vehicles were called around 11 a.m. to 464 Metcalfe St., near Catherine Street for a fire started by welding sparks.

Fire Chief Monty Malloy said the fire started in the ventilation shaft above the utility boiler room where workers were welding. Sparks set fire to pipe insulation and construction materials, causing a large amount of smoke.

The fire extended into the basement, activating the basement sprinkler system and causing a building evacuation. The building was under construction, but some units were occupied.

Malloy said all residents were able to return safely to their units by about mid-afternoon. There were no injuries, he said.

Malloy estimated the damages would be around $50,000, mostly from smoke and the replacement of water-damaged boilers.

The fire was the third Ottawa firefighters battled Wednesday, starting with one at a glass melting plant fire on the city's south side before dawn and followed by a house fire on the west side that started mid-morning.
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Welder+sparks+fire+that+forces+evacuation+downtown+Ottawa+highrise/3946389/story.html#ixzz17YTITpnW

LoveBug
Dec 27, 2010, 5:57 AM
very interesting, we were never told of this fire upon move in. Nor have any neighbours mentioned it.

OttawaSteve
Dec 27, 2010, 2:19 PM
very interesting, we were never told of this fire upon move in. Nor have any neighbours mentioned it.
I believe this is actually the second fire to have occurred at this property. There was also one a few months ago on one of the upper floors.

waterloowarrior
Feb 5, 2011, 5:48 PM
a couple of posts (with pics) from West Side Action
http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/and-now-some-good-development-news/
http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/more-good-news/

BuildEng
Mar 2, 2011, 6:35 PM
For anyone interested. Phase II of the redevelopment has started. The 7 story building will start after demolition of the EMS post this month.

bus_guru
Mar 17, 2011, 4:42 PM
Construction Phases:

Catherine 7 Storey Building Construction

Mar 14 - Demolition of Old Ambulance Post
Demolition crews started taking down the old ambulance post on Catherine St on Monday. Work should be complete by Friday, March 18. The ambulance post has already relocated inside of 464 Metcalfe.

Mar 21 - Shoring and Excavation
Work will begin to excavate the Catherine site and drive piles into ground for foundation support until the concrete is poured. Should be complete by the beginning of May.

Pouring of Concrete for Foundation of Catherine Building
Once the Catherine site has been excavated and shored up, the contractor will begin to pour the concrete to create the foundation and the 7 upperfloors. The basement and main floor slab are expected to be in place by the beginning of July. The Catherine Building is expected to be fully complete by August 2012

Stacked TowneHouse Construction -
Once the concrete for the foundation, basement and main floor slab are complete for the Catherine building (around the beginning of July), construction work will resume on the stacked townehouses in the middle of the site - Victory Gardens Private Lane. Framing and closing in of the two buildings will continue into the winter and final work is expected to be complete by January 2012.

Completion of the Entire Site
Once the townehouses are complete and the weather is suitable, landscaping work will begin around the townhouses and the community garden. Once the Catherine building is near completion, work will start on landscaping around that building as well. All building, construction and landscaping work, including on-surface parking will be complete by the end of August 2012

Construction Notes
Construction work for the most part will occur between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm. During the phase when the concrete is being poured for the Catherine building, it may be necessary to extend the workday past 5 pm. CCOC has promised to keep residents aprised of any work extensions and time of completion that day. The contractor will also put up green mesh over the western side of the Metcalfe building during this phase (more information will be provided to residents in late April). Balconies, yards and Victory Gardens Lane will remain open during all phases of construction. Construction vehicles will access the site via a private closed lane on Catherine St.

m3i6
Mar 18, 2011, 2:23 AM
Construction Phases:

Catherine 7 Storey Building Construction

Mar 14 - Demolition of Old Ambulance Post
The ambulance post has already relocated inside of 464 Metcalfe.

The new ambulance depot address is actually 103 Catherine St.

waterloowarrior
Apr 10, 2011, 11:32 PM
4 april 2011 - excavation underway
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj8ldxZjSP1qa6vj9o1_500.jpg
http://beaverbarracks.tumblr.com/

9 april 2011 - aerial by southfacing at flickr
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/5604150433_5fa60e98b9_z.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/5604150433/

bus_guru
Apr 12, 2011, 1:07 AM
Now that I've been here a few months I can tell you that the building isn't nearly as great as CCOC would have you believe.

Air Temperature: Since the beginning there have been non-stop problems with the heating/cooling geothermal system. Maintenance has quietly told me that the system is not working properly and hasn't for some time now. The cooling system is not working at all at this point and the temperature in the building and some units has surpassed 26 degrees celsius. What's worse is that you pay a flat monthly fee regardless of consumption amount or whether the system is working. CCOC was adamant that no tenant would subsidy the cost of another but that is clearly false.

CCOC maintenance: Don't expect a return phone call. In the 4 months I have lived here I have had to call the maintenance dept as many times and not once has anyone returned my call. It took me going into the office to have anyone address my concerns - not easily done if you work a 9-5 job.

Bathroom Exhaust: This is yet another system that does not work as designed. There are no exhaust fans in the individual units. Instead, all the vents are interconnected with one exhaust fan at the end of the system pulling air. Unfortunately, it's not effective and humidity in the units has been somewhat of a problem. Additionally, the system often pushes bad smelling air back into units. Being that the system should never push air into a unit and CCOC has not addressed this concern, I would say this is a definitive drawback to living here.

That smell in the lobby: Yet another exhaust system that doesn't function properly. The garbage room is located through one single door in the lobby and the smell is nearly intolerable. What an embarrassment when company comes calling. CCOC has done some repairs to the exhaust system so it isn't nearly as bad as it was in the first 3 months however, the smell is still there and still noticeable.

For Profit Hydro Metering Company: Why would a non-profit choose a for profit sub-metering company? I don't know why CCOC chose Stratacon to bill hydro consumption but what I can tell is you is that based on the per kw/hr pricing, I pay slightly more for hydro here than I did at the same price/consumption with Ottawa Hydro (this is the result of fees charged by Stratacon that Ottawa Hydro does not charge).

Tree killers: At least once a week there is some type of notice on my door. I understand not everyone may have e-mail and some notices must be written however, many of the notes left on the doors are unnecessary and the flyers end up all over the hallways/elevator etc.

Notice to Enter: Another glaring example of the incompetence of the maintenance dept. 24 hr written notice is required under the Residential Tendencies Act of Ontario (barring an emergency) however, there have been 2 times for me personally where notice for entry was provided with less than 24 hours. Additionally, CCOC has felt the need to enter my apartment 5 times in the 4 months I have lived here (I feel this amount is far too high and on the verge of harassment). Only 3 of those times were necessary and one one occasion, less than 24 hours notice was provided, my name, unit # and reason for entering were missing from the notice clearly in contradiction to Ontario Law.

Solicitors in the Building: Besides the fact there is little security to prevent solicitors from entering the building and no notification on the doors barring solicitors from entering, CCOC actually endorsed BELL CANADA to set up a booth in the lobby to solicit new customers. And these guys were aggressive. Very few people like solicitors coming to their door nevermind bombarding you as you come home from a stressful day at work. Appalling!

There are a lot of positive reasons to live here: affordable rent, convenient location (downtown close to the queensway, grocery, elgin street, banking liquor and beer etc), fully accessible units and entranceways, brand new beautiful units never lived in before or only lived in by one other person/family, underground parking, paramedics in the building with police across the street and fire within a very short distance, a non-smoking environment. One should be aware of all the pros and cons before making a decision to move somewhere. If the above mentioned drawbacks are too much for you then this might not be the best place for you!

bus_guru
Apr 12, 2011, 1:12 AM
The new ambulance depot address is actually 103 Catherine St.

I was not aware that the Ambulance Post had a different address than the rest of the building. Thanks for the update!

AuxTown
Apr 12, 2011, 2:42 AM
Welcome to a new development bus guru. Most people who move into new condo developments will have similar stories of growing pains while the building is newly occupied. They put up with this in exchange for the significant profits from buying pre-construction. As a renter, I can imagine this may be very frustrating for you. All I can suggest to you is to keep your cool (no pun intended) and continue to give constructive feedback to the property manager via the proper channels.

waterloowarrior
Oct 24, 2011, 9:34 PM
10 oct 2011 by southfacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/6235480733/in/photostream

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6107/6235480733_d00030f2eb_z.jpg

rocketphish
Jan 11, 2012, 6:19 PM
from southfacing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/), Jan 7, 2012:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6656367439_d4a62bce5b_b.jpg

S-Man
Jan 11, 2012, 6:33 PM
Well, say what you will about the views - or lack thereof - by they got a fair bit of density out of that land.