PDA

View Full Version : Is there a growing gap between the theory and reality of growth in Oregon?

MarkDaMan
Apr 29, 2008, 1:26 AM
finally, some story about our policies not working and instead of being draconian and getting rid of what we have, we need to rethink, and add more...What do you peeps think?

Sprawl belies Oregon's rep for planning
Monday, April 28, 2008
The Oregonian

His uncle was a big-time civil engineer, traveling the world, leaving his fingerprints on projects across several continents.

But Leonard Rydell's engineering career kept him closer to his Oregon roots. And after 36 years laying out the road and service grids for projects throughout suburban Portland -- including much of Wilsonville's Charbonneau development -- he says he's come to realize the region's glowing reputation in urban planning is increasingly an illusion.

He smiled when 1000 Friends of Oregon and two other conservation groups recently called on state planners to change suburban sprawl patterns that, despite light rail and urban growth boundaries, have left 71 percent of Oregonians driving to work alone.

The "up, not out" idea of high-density mixed-use development is a great theory, Rydell said. But the development reality on the ground is that we're heading toward a destination that, in the end, will look and function almost exactly like most places across the country.

To make his point, Rydell jumps up from the chair in his office on the second floor of his Newberg home and rattles down the steps, out the front door, directly into the middle of the street in front of his home.

"What do you see?"

The shoulder-to-shoulder jumble of ranch homes, the cars jammed into the little driveways and lining much of the absurdly wide street is a scene from any city in America.

"Tell me," he continues, as a Chevy Suburban whizzes by us at a good 10 mph above the speed limit, "does it make you feel good?"

"Exactly," he says, guessing my answer, "and yet, this is still what pretty much every city's code is encouraging us to design and build."

Cookie-cutter subdivisions. Shopping clusters. Industrial and business clusters.

And between them all, near gridlock, a slow-moving sea of commuters, truckers and soccer moms crawling to their next destination.

"We've got all the right catchphrases, but for the most part, the pieces don't fit together quite as well as we pretend, do they?"

He points to much of the infill construction that's been going on for over a decade. "Basically, we're trying to shoehorn infill into existing standard-design subdivisions. And it only angers people."

Local lawyer Christopher Crean wouldn't agree with all of Rydell's opinions. But he shares the realization that there is a growing gap between the theory and reality of growth in Oregon. It's a disparity he's come to know well during 13 years of land-use work with local cities and four sessions when he advised the Oregon Legislature.

That gap, Crean said, is exemplified by the fact that some of the same organizations recently calling for less sprawl have, in the past, supported policies that resulted in the expansion of the urban growth boundary to Damascus, a largely rural area with virtually no urban roads and services, let alone jobs.

"You're saying we've got to reduce vehicle trips, then you expand the UGB in Damascus, where they've got no roads or services or jobs. It just doesn't work. It confuses people."

Crean believes Oregon's land-use system can be retooled to meet the challenges. Despite its drawbacks, he still likes it more than anything else he's seen across the country.

But he knows that unless the current confusing clash of realities on the ground is sorted out by regional and local leaders, we can expect a lot more of the voter backlash that led to the passage of Measure 37.

Rydell isn't sure we're up to the task. "Just look around. What do you see?

"We haven't demonstrated we have the political will to fix any of it.

"So instead, we argue about things easier to control. Like whether the streetlights should be blue or black."

Andy Parker: 503-294-5945; daparker@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/andy_parker/index.ssf?/base/metro_south_news/1209191137270860.xml&coll=7

cab
Apr 29, 2008, 3:39 PM
I think over the next few years the economy will stop sprawl. The entire paradigm has changed with transportation cost going up as high as they have. It no longer makes economic sense to live far away from job centers. The problem will be builders and developers learning how to build quality density.

zaphod
Apr 29, 2008, 7:41 PM
I think it might be more of a "where to build density and how?", not "should we?", because that answer has always been yes

looking on google earth and maps I can see what the guys are saying. There aren't enough good straight arterial roads, transit corridors, or large plots of property in the surrounding undeveloped land. New development is piecemeal and disconnected and denser development only causes congestion to the underdeveloped infrastructure and tends to upset existing residents who are loosing these unofficial greenbelts.

leftopolis
Apr 29, 2008, 11:45 PM
In 2005, I flew from PDX to Vegas and back, at night. The metro(and main city for that matter) population of both locations was comparable. I was amazed at how--judging by the lights--Portland was not more compact. It appeared to have a denser core, but then gradually thinned out to the point where it was hard to tell where suburbs ended and farmlend began. Vegas on the other hand, had concentration on the strip and downtown of course. However, the density did remain rather uniform and then abruptly ended in desert. Also, the blob seemed to cover less area. If I didn't know better, from that anecdotal experience I'd have guessed that Las Vegas was the metro with the UGB--not Portland.

bvpcvm
Apr 30, 2008, 12:38 AM
We're definitely trying to have it both ways and satisfy everyone and of course, we're satisfying no one. Americans are too conflicted about urban life (even the word - after all, "urban" == "hip hop" == scared soccer moms) and haven't yet been convinced that anything will have to change. Even people who understand that we need to build up, not out, draw the line when anything over two stories is planned. It's like that old adage about supporting public transit - in hopes that other people will ride it.

Compared to Vegas, I think we're doing much better. Certainly, on the ground in Vegas a few years ago, I was appalled at the sprawl. The edges may be better defined, but that's not quite the issue, as I see it.

A few years back there was some star urban planner who came to town (can't remember his name, but he was from somewhere in Florida IIRC) and his attitude about Portland was basically: so what? Sure, the center is doing fine, but anywhere east of 82nd or west of Sylvan it looks just like any other suburb. As I recall, he was resoundingly shouted down at the time, but I secretly agreed with him.

NJD
Apr 30, 2008, 3:25 AM
Yes. The divide happens to be urbanites versus the rurals. Liberal versus conservative. The urbanites, for the most part, want beautiful places to go to out of the city and also have a more 'hive mind' mentality about 'greater good' (not judging good or bad here, just generalizing) versus individual returns when it comes to private forest and agriculture lands. Those in rural Oregon are struggling. I've lived in all the corners and center of this state, and for the most part, people are poor here. Logging, fishing, and game industries are all but extinct or corporate conglomerates. There are hundreds of towns here that are to the point of desperation. A few have turned to tourism, but there is only so much 'touring of Oregon' one can do. Farming will be on the rise soon as the need for more organic, local and shorter distance traveled foods become the norm. However, in the past 50 years most of Oregon has been on a down turn. This leads to people 'needing' to clear cut, subdivide, mine or what-have-you their lands.
The suburbs are the worst. Fast growth, with rural mentalities. Not much future planning. Metro can give density requirements, but not quality or transportation requirements. Metro is also charged, by law, to expand the growth boundary making it near useless with the current population predictions casting huge migration here. Portland is stuck. It needs to be able to annex its urban growth boundary, but the small suburban town polititions and citizens (like those in Beaverton or Tigard) wouldn't let that happen, they can't even annex their own lands in the boundary. Too many government bodies wanting different things. Also, people moving to metro area McMansions from other states need to pay more to live in our great state. We shouldn't foot the bill for their infrastructure, which doesn't mean widening streets like Farmington Road into the now 5 lane behemoth with sound walls cutting off any kind of neighborhood from developing and making auto travel the only kind of travel. New development on cheap land needs to pay for mass transit expansions, bikeways, more open space and park land and mixed use center plazas and squares. Also, the feds need to give growth control of Clark County to Metro so both sides of the river are fair and on the same page.
This state needs a little policy update. Metro should have more power, or Portland should be able to annex its suburbs and urban growth boundary lands. Rural Oregon should have protections from that urban growth boundary and quick profits. State money should focus on economic development and education in the non-metro areas.
This is a beautiful state, and a beautiful central city. Let's keep it that way, and fix our suburban growth problems right now.

bvpcvm
Apr 30, 2008, 3:58 AM
i don't quite agree with your description - yes, there's an urban/rural divide, but even "urbanites" (NWDA being a wonderful example) are afflicted with this provincial NIMBYism. remember the horror at the possibility of that 20-story tower at riverscape? or, more recently, the conway plan? and even SE PDX hipsters, who i would expect to "get" it, have displayed some of that (controversy surrounding the clinton condos, etc).

urbanlife
Apr 30, 2008, 7:40 AM
he is in Newberg, if the cities around Portland want to be apart of what's going on in Portland, then they need to start acting like it. Portland is a different city compared to most American cities, but our suburbs are the same as anywhere else.

So I think Portland's theory and reality are starting to match up, but the suburbs need to develop a theory that can be applied to reality before they go broke on rising gas costs.

cab
Apr 30, 2008, 2:43 PM
The suburbs will be the new slums as long as the Feds. don't swoop down and increase transportation subsidies. There will be no choice but to increase density. Portland and a few other cities have the bones and the right mind set to handle the huge economic swing, but many places are going to just collapse out of inability to adapt to change.

zilfondel
May 1, 2008, 12:40 AM
People have been moving back to the cities over the past 15 years... as a very noticeable phenomenon.

At first I thought it was a sort of "lifestyle change," where people simply didn't think living in the burbs was very cool.

But now, I'm starting to see that people are just flat-out flocking to certain cities in the US, but not just the urban areas - the suburbs and surrounding areas as well. They're doing primarily, however, because of jobs. Notice not many people are moving to the rust belt cities? They don't have jobs!

The big cities - SF, LA, SD, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Houston, Dallas, even Portland, are all growing - because they have jobs.

==========

In Seattle, there has been a huge discussion on the topic of sprawl and cost of living in the city going through the roof. Crosscut (http://www.crosscut.com/mossback/1863/)has the op-ed piece.