PDA

View Full Version : Bedford

Dmajackson
Apr 29, 2008, 1:15 AM
The talk of Bedford being "neglected" has been blasted all over the local news lately. Especially in the Weekly News for Bedford. Heres one example of articles popping up all over the place:
Bedford residents looking for boost

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Mon. Apr 28 - 5:50 AM

BEDFORD — DISTRICT 21:

Population (2006 census): 16,780

Eligible voters: 11,480

Last represented by: Gary Martin (who passed away in February) won the seat in a byelection over Ed McHugh in 2006. He took over from Len Goucher, who moved on to provincial politics. First elected in 2000, Mr. Goucher was acclaimed in the 2004 election.

Byelection: Saturday, May 3

Candidates: Matthew Christie, Tim Outhit

New councillor sworn in: May 13

David Morton moved to Bedford 20 years ago because of an impressive ranking in a national magazine.

At that time, Chatelaine Magazine was touting Bedford as one of the 10 best places to live in Canada. But in hindsight, they may have been only partially correct in their praise.

"I continue to enjoy Bedford but we continue to be slighted, it seems, when it comes to getting things here," Mr. Mortin said in a recent interview.

The real estate agent, who travels frequently around the municipality for his job, says Bedford is overlooked when it comes to municipal investment.

"Every community in HRM seems to have a centre or something that the community gathers to," he says.

Spryfield, Cole Harbour, Musquodoboit — even Kinsac, he notes — have facilities that give residents a sense of place, as well as place to go.

"So, I’m just a little miffed and a little amazed that we can’t point to something and say that it’s our own."

Things are so bad, in fact, that at a recent Bedford visioning meeting, an organizer commented that the true "heart" of Bedford could be narrowed down to two commercial entities.

"We joked on the committee: Would it be the Chickenburger or Pete’s Frootique?" committee member Rosemarie Sampson told a group of about 85 who gathered in January at Basinview Drive Community School.

That lack of community identity has permeated Bedford for decades, Bedford resident and community volunteer Doug Kolmer said in an interview Sunday.

"It’s been 27 years since the whole idea of public recreation space, community space and public meeting space has been in studies."

During that time, Bedford has always been seen as a "have" community, he says.

"The reality is, we do have stuff, but it’s 27 and 30 years old, and it’s really only a (Lions Park) pool and the LeBrun Centre with one rink," he says.

Other community space is limited to school buildings and church basements, he says.

Bedford’s recent visioning exercise reveals that residents are keen to put Bedford back on the map for more than grocery stores and eateries.

And Mr. Morton is hopeful that whoever wins — he still hasn’t made up his mind yet — will help the community build a new recreation centre with ferry terminal and library on the waterfront.

( apugsley@herald.ca)
Source: Chronicle Herald.

Since Bedford is not represented well in this forum i was wondering what people outside of Bedford thought of these ideas? Some extreme groups are calling for de-alamangation or at least a seperate Council for Bedford. The main focus of these group are at recreational facilities. Currently Bfd has one outdoor pool that is rarely ever open, is dirty and stinks up the whole neighbourhood, Bfd has one rink (35 years old i believe?) and our trails are quickly falling apart. The once popular Sackville River Trail in front of Bedford Place Mall is non-exsistant and the limited other trails in town are falling apart.

Please post your opinions. I will respect everyones opinion. I'm mainly just here to see others thoughts and for any clarification. I will try to limit my opinion based posts because of my bias. What do you think Bedford should do to resolve these issues?