PDA

View Full Version : Haligonians for Development

Wishblade
Apr 25, 2008, 11:21 PM
after seeing much of the comments made by folks at public hearings and in the papers, a friend of mine and myself have decided to start a facebook group called "Haligonians for Development". It is a pro development group, and might make reaching the public a little easier.

Since not everybody uses the SSP forum, or knows about it, I figured it might be a way to reach out to more people, and get discussions going about meetings and public hearings, heritage issues, and so on. So if you have facebook, or know anybody who would be interested, here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34319930634

:cheers:

Mike K.
Apr 26, 2008, 3:34 AM
Great idea.

And how about a link to SSP:L Halifax from within the group? :)

Dmajackson
Apr 26, 2008, 4:30 AM
Awesome idea. I joined it immediately. Because facebook is a mainly "youth" site this group will block out many of the anti-development older people.

worldlyhaligonian
Apr 26, 2008, 6:04 AM
which in turn underscores the point that these people don't know whats up.

Keith P.
Apr 26, 2008, 10:27 AM
Please don't assume that this is strictly a young people vs. older people issue. I am a child of the 1950s but do not buy into the anti-development, anti-tall building mantra that you often hear in these parts. I frankly do not understand these people but know that there are many others of my generation who do recognize the need for the city to grow up.

phrenic
Apr 26, 2008, 7:01 PM
I joined!

Aya_Akai
Apr 26, 2008, 8:03 PM
Great idea.

And how about a link to SSP:L Halifax from within the group? :)

Done and done!

Wishblade
Apr 26, 2008, 8:57 PM
Im glad everyone likes the idea. :)

Hopefully it will catch on.

Spitfire75
Apr 27, 2008, 4:02 AM
nice, 44 members already!

terrynorthend
Apr 28, 2008, 10:41 PM
count me in!

Canopus
Apr 29, 2008, 11:23 AM
Do I smell a turn in the tide on this issue recently?

Mike K.
Apr 29, 2008, 5:55 PM
Done and done!

Word.

You guys will soon start to realize that by forming such a group the media will eventually take notice and chase after you for your side of the story. What you should always remember to flaunt is the group's apolitical and multi-generational membership base. Demographics like that carry a phenomenal amount of weight in the world of public perception.

Wishblade
Apr 29, 2008, 7:01 PM
Word.

You guys will soon start to realize that by forming such a group the media will eventually take notice and chase after you for your side of the story. What you should always remember to flaunt is the group's apolitical and multi-generational membership base. Demographics like that carry a phenomenal amount of weight in the world of public perception.

Thanks for the tip!

And we're actually hoping that it will attract media attention. I was going through the list of members invited to the group, and a local media reporter is one of them (Bruce Frisko).

The more attention the group gets, the better. I hate the perception the NIMBY's have in thinking that they are the majority, when the opposite is true.

Canopus
Apr 29, 2008, 8:02 PM
(Bruce Frisko).

Don't listen to his hair care tips

Aya_Akai
Apr 29, 2008, 8:09 PM
Word.

Oh, for sure. Thats one thing we want to make sure is known, folks from all demographics want to see this happen!

Takeo
Apr 30, 2008, 2:01 AM
I suppose the heritage trust could start a facebook group too... but someone there would have to call their grandkid to figure out how to do it. Haha. Oh... that was a cheap shot :P LOL.

Aya_Akai
Apr 30, 2008, 2:26 AM
I suppose the heritage trust could start a facebook group too... but someone there would have to call their grandson to figure out how to do it. Haha. Oh... that was a cheap shot :P LOL.

LOL!!! That was a cheap shot, but, I totally laughed :D :worship: ... I have a feeling you're right lol.

I'm the creator & admin for the Development group, your comment made me laugh and smile hehe

Aya_Akai
Jun 11, 2008, 4:45 PM
Group updated with all the "so far" news on the approval for the South Park & Brenton development.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34319930634

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 11, 2008, 9:14 PM
We should have a meet at some point.

Is the Heritage Trust some sort of formally structured, registered (with who/what) organization?

I could see Haligonians for Development as the pro-development counter-initiative.

Could I possibly be made an admin in the group?

Jonovision
Jun 12, 2008, 12:29 AM
I was thinking of a forum meet now that the weather is all nice and such. I'm somewhat hesitant about make it a formal group like the heritage trust. They are a lobbyist group and I don't think that's what we want. But if people are interested in a group to better the city there is the new Fusion group. I joined last night. www.fusionhalifax.ca

hfx_chris
Jun 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
According to their website they're having some sort of event tonight - at the Halifax Club. Is it just me or is the Halifax Club not the best venue for attracting young people?
..or am I completely missing the point. Personally, I'm not the type of person who would ever want to see myself in the Halifax Club. I was there once for a wedding reception, and it was way too stuffy and elitist.

Keith P.
Jun 12, 2008, 9:49 PM
The Halifax Club has a new manager and they are trying to reinvent themselves. I wish them luck because they are going to need it -- it has never been the kind of place I felt comfortable in nor one that I thought was particularly useful.

Personally I find the Fusion group a bit pretentious. By limiting themselves to those under 40 they are acting in a very blatant and discriminatory manner against people like myself. It is not the physical age that affects ideas, it is the beliefs and thoughts that a person maintains. I have known a lot of 20-somethings who sound more staid than their grandparents.

someone123
Jun 13, 2008, 7:06 AM
Yeah, I don't get the 20-40 restriction. Why would they even bother with that?

So far these groups have all had weird issues of one form or another.