PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Makers' Market season

hmagazine
Apr 21, 2008, 11:11 PM
Downtown Hamilton’s only outdoor market returns for another season in 2008. The Makers’ Market brings life, activity and renewed hope that communities can be revived through social interaction, creative thinking and a distinctly local focus.

Makers of all kinds come together this Summer and Fall to Cultureful James North and King East’s International Village to show just how great local economy, creativity and food can be!

The Makers' Market features:

• handmade goods - jewellery, stationery, clothing, knitted goods
• organic foods - local farm-fresh fruits & vegetables, baked goods
• local art - paintings, photographs, prints, pottery
• vintage items - retro, clothing, books, furniture, jewellery, ephemera
• workshops & tours - bike repairs, crafty D.I.Y. sewing, historic walking tours

Makers’ Market on James North
Courtyard of Christ’s Church Cathedral

(252 James St. N.) Third Saturdays -
May 17, June 21, July 19, August 16,
September 20, October 18 • 10am - 3pm

- - - new second location!

Makers’ Market at International Village
Ferguson Station Pavillion

(corner of King St. E. & Ferguson)
First Saturdays - June 7, July 5, August 2,
September 6, October 4 • 10am - 3pm

Contact us! P: 905-527-1316 ext. 710

raisethehammer
Apr 22, 2008, 1:47 AM
wahoo!! international village now too! awesome.
this will be great to have 2 per month...great choice of locations.
Anyone who hasn't been to the church on James North needs to go. It's an awesome setting.

the dude
Apr 22, 2008, 2:26 PM
love the makers' market. more is better.

SteelTown
Apr 22, 2008, 3:28 PM
It's great to hear a market will go to Ferguson station. That station needed something.

Mack297
Apr 22, 2008, 3:30 PM
I try to spend my summer wekends up at my cottage on Rice Lake ... my wife has been trying to find an excuse( short of making me work ..) to keep me home for a weekemd or three.

She was just reading over my shoulder and suggested the 'Makers Market' as a good idea for us to attend ... some Saturday ... I committed myself to maybe two outings ...

Mack

hmagazine
May 11, 2008, 6:19 PM
"Truly successful public markets become catalysts and centres of entire districts where a variety of places to shop, stroll and be entertained are found. The area becomes a place where people want to live. Public markets create a critical mass of activity that enhances an entire area." - Project for Public Spaces, New York

Please join us this Saturday, May 17th (10am-3pm) as local growers, artists and makers of all kind set up shop in the courtyard of Christ's Church Cathedral on James North to kick off the 2008 season. Over 30 stallholders confirmed, including: Simpler Thyme Organics, Under Ground Organics, Bestow Organic Bakery, Speakeasy Fair Trade Coffee, Rev Wear Fashions and artists creating jewellery, clothing, stationery and paper goods, a slew of vintage and retro items, tours of the historic cathedral and so much more!

hmagazine
Jun 6, 2008, 6:25 PM
It 's time for International Village to host their first ever Makers' Market this Saturday, June 7th from 10am - 3pm at the Ferguson Station Pavillion.

Experience local culture at its best with organic farm-fresh foods, handmade goods, local art and retro and vintage items!

We hope you can join us!

FairHamilton
Jun 6, 2008, 6:32 PM
It 's time for International Village to host their first ever Makers' Market this Saturday, June 7th from 10am - 3pm at the Ferguson Station Pavillion.

Experience local culture at its best with organic farm-fresh foods, handmade goods, local art and retro and vintage items!

We hope you can join us!

And it's followed at 7pm by the first Hamilton 24 Hour Film Festival, at Ferguson Station.

The forecast for tomorrow is sunny and warm, so what a great way to spend a large part of the day and the evening downtown.

matt602
Jun 6, 2008, 7:16 PM
Sounds like it will be great. I'm glad it is happening in the IV this time.

Wish I were in the city this weekend (leaving for NY momentarily).

hmagazine
Jun 20, 2008, 9:28 PM
Makers' Market is back - this time on James North.

Join us this Saturday, June 21st from 10am - 3pm for all sorts of local goodness!

hmagazine
Jun 21, 2008, 3:12 PM
This is only our third market this season - but WOW - there sure is an amazing mix of fantastic stuff at today's event!

The weather is holding out and the vibes are really good!

raisethehammer
Jun 21, 2008, 4:30 PM
exactly right...it's one of the best yet. James North simply rocks. tons of people out, eating on patios, shopping at markets, having coffee etc....

matt602
Jun 21, 2008, 9:59 PM
aye, it was pretty busy downtown today. lots of people out and about.

hmagazine
Jul 5, 2008, 2:17 AM
Makers' Market returns to Ferguson Station, International Village this Saturday, July 5 from 10am-3pm

Simpler Thyme Organics along with new vendor - West Ave Growers providing local-farm fresh foods!

Also lots of creative vendors - plus the return of bike repair workshops!

Free to attend!

raisethehammer
Jul 5, 2008, 6:38 PM
cool vibe today....decent crowd too. I expect this location will grow similar to how James North did last year.

What is happening next weekend on James North? i noticed signs up saying that it's closed from Thurs night-Sat night. Anyone know??

hmagazine
Jul 5, 2008, 7:03 PM
The Inc. will be taking down the middle building of the original Jerry's man Shop complex.

This has been in the works for a long time and this will be the beginning of making that space into a functional courtyard for events.

Shall be an exciting Art Crawl - that's for sure!

matt602
Jul 11, 2008, 4:32 AM
Thought I would mention that my friend called me tonight and let me know that demolition on the property mentioned above has already started. I'll be going downtown tomorrow afternoon (and probably staying to the evening for the crawl) to take pictures of it.

hmagazine
Jul 18, 2008, 11:10 PM
Just a reminder that the James North Makers' Market is this Saturday, July 19th!

We have close to 40 stallholders - including three organic farms joining us!

Hope to see some of you exploring Cultureful James North tomorrow!

coalminecanary
Jul 19, 2008, 12:11 AM
is cultureful a word?

looking forward to it - i'll be doing free bike tune ups so ride on down and i'll get you running smoothly :-)

hmagazine
Jul 19, 2008, 4:13 PM
is cultureful a word?

It is now!

Look for more from the "Cultureful James North" campaign soon!

hmagazine
Aug 16, 2008, 12:41 PM
James North's Makers' Market is today - and it should be a sunny one!

Hopefully you can join in on the fun...

hmagazine
Sep 19, 2008, 9:32 PM
Just a little reminder to come see the many local makers of all kinds down on James North this Saturday, Sept 20. Only a few more outdoor market dates left - start finding that unique gift for that special someone or dig into some tasty treats from our organic farmers. Lots to see - great folks to meet!

Also on James North this Saturday - HIStory+HERitage (165 James North) is hosting a talk titled Getting Around Hamilton: A Brief History of Transportation in Hamilton.

Hamilton historian and author, Bill Manson, presents an illustrated talk tracing the development of maritime, rail, and road transportation which capitalized on Hamilton' strategic location and addressed the challenges of the city's unique geography. Free admission. 1pm start - another chance to see and hear Bill on Sat. Oct. 4 at the same location.

hmagazine
Oct 17, 2008, 8:49 PM
Join us this Saturday for the final outdoor Makers' Market of the Fall season. It promises to be a sunny afternoon and the courtyard of Christ's Church Cathedral is the perfect setting to find organic farm fresh foods, local art, handmade goods, vintage items and unique gifts of all kinds.

The market runs 10am - 3pm at 252 James North. Hot Apple Cider and other snacks will be on hand to keep all of us warm as the fall season sets in.

Thanks Hamilton for a fantastic summer and fall season! See you on Dec. 6 for the Holiday Makers' Market - more details to come!