PDA

View Full Version : James North Art Crawl

hmagazine
Apr 21, 2008, 11:05 PM
Join the crowds as they converge on the lively neighbourhood of James North in search of art, food and fun. Historically known as the direct link between the escarpment, the downtown and the waterfront, James North is once again playing an important role in connecting the city to its attractions. A commercial and cultural hub, it is home to many specialty shops, food markets, restaurants and now art galleries and studios. This monthly event is free, self-guided and open to all ages. Doors open at 7 p.m.

James North Art Crawl runs the second Friday night of the month.

May 8, June 13, July 11, August 8, September 12, Oct.10, Nov. 14, Dec. 11

hmagazine
Apr 21, 2008, 11:09 PM
This is only going to get busier this spring and summer!

northender98
May 3, 2008, 5:05 AM
FIRST Annual "Taste of Jamesville" today (May 3, 2008). James street wil be closed from 10:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. I have always wished we had a street festival there so I am very excited.
Northender

raisethehammer
May 3, 2008, 12:31 PM
how the heck did I miss this?? I haven't heard a thing.

hmagazine
May 3, 2008, 3:37 PM
James North is not closed today.

The Taste of Jamesville - organized by the Cathedral and the Jamesville Community Centre is taking place in the front courtyard of the Cathedral and at the playground of the J.C.C which is located at St. Mary's School on MacNab Street.

Lots of folks walking around James North for that and Doors Open despite of the rain.

hmagazine
May 3, 2008, 3:38 PM
BTW - we will be closing James North for some sort of small street Festival this year - just working out the details...

northender98
May 4, 2008, 12:10 AM
Sorry for the wrong facts, but in the "North End Breezes" magazine we get it was advertised as a street fest. Good to hear they will be closing the street down for a festival--great news.
Northender

matt602
May 5, 2008, 12:16 AM
BTW - we will be closing James North for some sort of small street Festival this year - just working out the details...

Sounds good to me. Hamilton is really lacking in this, I'm glad some people are doing something about it. The one yesterday along King William was nice, even with the rain and the depressing corpse of the Balfour building in the background.

hmagazine
Jun 12, 2008, 11:10 PM
James North Art Crawl takes place this Friday, June 13th!

Lots to see! Should be a fantastic night!

7pm start - self guided - free for all!

holymoly
Jun 12, 2008, 11:20 PM
Looking forward to the Crawl! I'm planning to bring friends from Toronto this time.

miketoronto
Jun 12, 2008, 11:22 PM
I can't make it to this one this Friday due to work. But I usually come down with some people from Toronto.
HolyMoly, if you end up going to any other ones let me know, and maybe we can get a good group from Toronto. The Art Crawl is amazing.

Anyone who wants to come from Toronto let me know. You get to ride for free with me on GO(I can only take one person with me for free). :)

matt602
Jun 13, 2008, 12:13 AM
I might be around for a bit. I'll be downtown anyway, so I'll stop in.

Jon Dalton
Jun 13, 2008, 3:01 PM
There's two shows going on during the art crawl: One is at Mex-I-Can restaurant with 3 or 4 bands, which my band is playing. The other one is an experimental noise show at Christs Church Cathedral. They're both free, so it's a great time to check out some local music as well.

holymoly
Jun 13, 2008, 5:24 PM
I can't make it to this one this Friday due to work. But I usually come down with some people from Toronto.
HolyMoly, if you end up going to any other ones let me know, and maybe we can get a good group from Toronto. The Art Crawl is amazing.

Anyone who wants to come from Toronto let me know. You get to ride for free with me on GO(I can only take one person with me for free). :)

Nice offer! I'm definitely catching tonight's Crawl. Can't make the July or August dates.

highwater
Jun 13, 2008, 5:55 PM
There's two shows going on during the art crawl: One is at Mex-I-Can restaurant with 3 or 4 bands, which my band is playing. The other one is an experimental noise show at Christs Church Cathedral. They're both free, so it's a great time to check out some local music as well.

Do Randall Hill and the boys still play the Blue Angel?

astroblaster
Jun 13, 2008, 6:10 PM
I am interested in the "experimental noise show at Christs Church Cathedral"

Sounds like a really cool venue/act combo..

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it, unless my existing plans are curtailed.

Jon Dalton
Jun 13, 2008, 6:17 PM
Highwater- Last time I was there a jazz band was playing but I don't know who they were. Astroblaster, that show starts at 9:00 and if you can't make it, there should be another one next art crawl. It seems to be a regular thing lately, both at Mex-I-Can and the cathedral.

highwater
Jun 13, 2008, 6:41 PM
Oh no. Randall Hill is bluegrass so it wasn't them. That would be a heartbreaker if he's not playing the Blue Angel anymore. :(

FairHamilton
Jun 13, 2008, 7:03 PM
We'll be out (4 of us) tonight for the crawl. I'm looking forward to it.

raisethehammer
Jul 9, 2008, 1:17 PM
so, I've got a bunch of family coming to the crawl this week from the burbs.
Let's just say "edgy" art isn't their thing.
Any info on what is showing in each gallery? The James North website still shows all the listings from June 13.
Thanks

miketoronto
Jul 10, 2008, 3:28 PM
If anyone wants to meet up in downtown Hamilton this Friday night for the James North Art Crawl and even dinner before that, just message me or reply below. Would be nice if we could get a nice little group going. I am coming in from Toronto with maybe one or a couple people.

hmagazine
Aug 8, 2008, 7:34 PM
Tonight!

astroblaster
Sep 11, 2008, 7:08 PM
another one tomorrow?

2 months ago there was going to be some music going on at the cathedral. does anyone know if thats happening again at this art crawl?

raisethehammer
Sep 11, 2008, 7:41 PM
HMag must be too tired from all the reno work. The crawl is tomorrow. haha.

matt602
Sep 12, 2008, 2:42 AM
I have to remember to pick up an H Mag... one of my photos of the Connaught is supposed to be in it...

hmagazine
Sep 12, 2008, 3:05 AM
also - not only is it art crawl but all sorts of grand openings up and down the street. New spaces - new faces!

Plus do pick up an H Mag at any of the galleries - we are looking for the Greatest of Hamilton in our own version of a people's choice awards...

See ya at the new Mixed Media building (154 James North)

Jon Dalton
Sep 12, 2008, 5:43 PM
Free show at Mex - I - Can again tonight.

raisethehammer
Sep 12, 2008, 7:57 PM
new issue of RTH has a good piece about James North.

astroblaster
Sep 13, 2008, 6:37 AM
the new mixed media is nice... not a bad art crawl tonight

hmagazine
Nov 13, 2008, 4:43 AM
Happening this friday:

Le Cyc is the story of a surreal bike-powered world where sweeping themes of power imbalances and popular revolution collide with carnivalesque images of dictators whose smart-talking parrots perch on impossibly long moustaches.

It’s a one-of-a-kind collaberative project; the story is told simulateously by over 300 projected illustrations by Dave Willekes and by the narration of an 11-piece orchestra, lead by vocalist/composer Eihab Boraie. His piano-based songs are fleshed out by violin, accordian, double bass, bike-parts-as-percussion and a host of other instruments. The resulting musical narrative is humourous, dark, compelling, and emotive.

One can only imagine the hours Willekes spent on creating his vast quantity of graphic-novel style illustrations for the project. Drawn in ink, and painted with layered brush strokes of coffee and wine (both ingrediants that have almost certainly fuelled the project), it’s hard to imagine the music without the images and vice versa.

Le Cyc was first performed as part of the Kazoo! festival in Guelph and includes local musicians Chris Yang, Martin Eckart, Brad Mcinerney, and at least 6 more people depending on which show you catch.

Friday November 14th
@ Bike Hounds (GRAND OPENING)
6 Cannon St. E (Hamilton, ON)
Doors 8:30, Performance 9:30pm
PWYC (pay-what-you-can)

** This show will be happening as part of the James St. North ART CRAWL **

WWW.LECYC.CA (website has videos & slide gallery)

hmagazine
Feb 13, 2009, 6:14 PM
TONIGHT!

Lots of new art and music and displays. Bring your sweetie out or perhaps meet a sweetie tonight!

hmagazine
Feb 13, 2009, 6:19 PM
Despite the "fear-mongering" news piece today -

http://thespec.com/News/Local/article/512952

James North will be open to visitors tonight...

flar
Feb 13, 2009, 7:05 PM
So from the article, recent(?) immigrant says the neighbourhood is "not the best" while 18 year resident has "never seen anything like it"

Good job spec, James North must be a hellhole, I'll be sure to stay away lest I be shot to death.

highwater
Feb 13, 2009, 7:25 PM
I'll be there, sweetie in tow. It'll take more than a little gunfire to dissuade us from a rare night out.

MsMe
Feb 13, 2009, 8:00 PM
perhaps meet a sweetie tonight!

Any rich ones with one foot in the grave and other on a banana peel there?
That's what I am looking for. :lmao:

thistleclub
Feb 13, 2009, 8:53 PM
So from the article, recent(?) immigrant says the neighbourhood is "not the best" while 18 year resident has "never seen anything like it"

Good job spec, James North must be a hellhole, I'll be sure to stay away lest I be shot to death.

I give them points for making the geographical distinction. The CNW wire story (http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/story/CNW.20090212.C8324/GIStory) does not. The paper was careful to make the distinction about Barton and the rail tracks. As to the previous shootings, that's part of the story, like it or not. (Although they could've counted a 2006 incident at James and Barton, which is closer to Strachan/Simcoe than the Mulberry/Robert cases.) Maybe "never seen anything like it" refers to an 18-year-old firing at police pulling a handgun on plainclothes officers and then being disabled by a return shot multiple shots. Granted, the timing is lousy, but is anyone honestly shocked that this kind of incident gets coverage?

Jon Dalton
Feb 13, 2009, 9:38 PM
At least they didn't bring up the epic Mex - I - Can sting 3 weeks ago.
I heard someone was drinking a beer on James Street.

thistleclub
Feb 13, 2009, 9:53 PM
At least they didn't bring up the epic Mex - I - Can sting 3 weeks ago.
I heard someone was drinking a beer on James Street.

Open beverages on second Fridays only. Under penalty of police pile-on.

FairHamilton
Feb 13, 2009, 10:42 PM
We'll be there!

We have a friend that we invited to come from Toronto on the second Tuesday of this month, specifically because of Art Crawl.

coalminecanary
Feb 14, 2009, 1:22 AM
Downtown Bike Hounds Art Crawl

Tonight (and through February): Hamilton's own Katy Leask:
http://peepdesign.ca/KatyLeask.html
Katy Leask is an educator and artist living and working in the Hamilton area. Her work centres on fluid line, movement and often the human figure. Working in pen and ink, acrylic and charcoal, she has created designs for tattoos, polymer jewelry, clothing, greeting cards, business logos and custom original works for homes and offices. Contact Katy via email at ekleask@gmail.com.

http://peepdesign.ca/Friends%20of%20Peep/katy%20THumbnails%20and%20Photos/cubatreeshrink.jpg - http://peepdesign.ca/Friends%20of%20Peep/katy%20THumbnails%20and%20Photos/FirstStepsshrink.jpg

6 Cannon Street East (at James)
-Next to Mixed Media-

hmagazine
Feb 14, 2009, 6:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for coming out last night - lots of familiar faces and lots of new ones too!

Very cool vibe last night that warmed my winter heart. Looking forward to many more this year!

BCTed
Feb 15, 2009, 12:21 AM

It may not be a hellhole, but multiple gunfire incidents suggest that it is not exactly Mayberry either.

FairHamilton
Feb 15, 2009, 2:20 AM
It may not be a hellhole, but multiple gunfire incidents suggest that it is not exactly Mayberry either.

But, only Andy Griffith, Opie, et al live in Mayberry. Hamilton is a city of 500K+ people.

adam
Feb 15, 2009, 3:31 AM

Is that where you live BCTed? Mayberry?

hmagazine
Feb 15, 2009, 2:05 PM
You could live on Mulberry - it connects to James North. Nice street - as long as you don't mind the past shootings at Acclamation.

MsMe
Feb 15, 2009, 5:16 PM
You could live on Mulberry - it connects to James North. Nice street - as long as you don't mind the past shootings at Acclamation.

I should send my neighbour there, he would make a good target. :haha:

sofasurfer
Feb 18, 2009, 2:50 AM

Well, this here immigrant really enjoyed his first art crawl - should I feel cheated cos I wasn't shot at? ;)
(FFS - I lived in Manchester at the height of the 'Gunchester' crap in the early 90s, and we had a few 'incidents' when I lived in Brixton... sh1t happens. Definitely concur it ain't right, nor desirable, but I've hardly come to rely on the veracity of the Spac! Reuters it ain't...)

Back to the ART, though... how cool was the Carl Brown stuff?! Felt inspired for the first time in ages (and good timing, as I had a VJing gig the following night!). Really looking forward to his screening in a couple of weeks' time.

More of this sort of thing.

(FWIW, it was interesting chatting to folk in Toronto at the weekend, mentioning the James N, Hamilton is the new West Queen West, TO - with many people agreeing, saying they either knew creatives moving/relocated to Hamilton, and/or they've seriously considered it for both what they can get for their money and a feeling the place is on the up.... awareness of the art crawl, too. All good stuff to hear and feel good about as a relativley new Hamiltonian :))

hmagazine
Apr 9, 2009, 11:00 PM
It's a "Great" Friday for an Art Crawl.

Find your map on the back of the April H Mag - out today!

Zaz
Mar 12, 2010, 1:26 PM
Greenbelt Artist Survey is in Hamiton this Friday!

http://irenecymbal.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/greenbelt_evite_hamilton.jpg

thistleclub
Mar 23, 2010, 10:00 AM

sofasurfer
May 14, 2010, 5:15 PM
Anyone from the board going along tonight? Looks like we may have a babysitter offer at short notice - so we'll be along if it works out. Be great to see some board folk again, it's been ages!

emge
May 14, 2010, 6:01 PM
I may be there.. my other half's out of town tonight unfortunately.

realcity
May 14, 2010, 6:13 PM
I'm going with Steeltown

LikeHamilton
Jan 26, 2011, 5:19 PM
Does anyone have the dates for 2011 Super Crawl? I hope they have one on September 8 as it is the weekend of the Canadian Country Music Awards.

palace1
Jan 26, 2011, 11:43 PM
The Art Crawls are on the 2nd Friday of the month so there should be one on Friday, September 9, 2011.

LikeHamilton
Jan 27, 2011, 1:57 AM
The Art Crawls are on the 2nd Friday of the month so there should be one on Friday, September 9, 2011.

Thanks but I was looking for the dates of the super crawl. There where 2 last year and I went to the one on September 25 at the end of the month. It was already a bit cool by then. I was hoping this year they would have them closer to the summer. I went with a group who most of them hardly new that James Street North was even there!