PDA

View Full Version : Transit link to the Niagara Region

SteelTown
Apr 21, 2008, 7:50 AM
Hamilton eyes broader rail service

Hamilton could be on track for more passenger trains beyond expanded GO service.

Hamilton and Welland officials are pushing an idea with CP Rail of having some type of rail service return to the former Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway line that runs between the two communities and passes through Smithville, Grassie and Fenwick. Passenger service ended in 1981.

“I think there’s an opportunity there,” said Welland Mayor Damian Goulbourne.

“It’s just a question of whether the other players we need to make this a reality are going to help us.”

The move, first floated two years ago by the operator of a short-line railway in Port Colborne, comes after the province approved spending $3 million to build a platform near the former CN station (now LIUNA Banquet Centre) for new GO trains that could roll down to Niagara Falls. GO also approved building a new $6.1-million train layover facility at the Hamilton GO Centre (formerly the TH&B station), which will allow it to give Hamilton a new morning train to Union Station.

Wayne Ettinger, head of Trillium Railway, a short-line which runs on former CN lines in Niagara, proposed operating two self-propelled rail cars (called Budd Cars) on the CP line. The idea was to show demand and attract GO service one day. He was reluctant to talk about his proposal.

“The big railroads don’t like things in the paper until they make decisions,” he said.

Hamilton Councillor Bob Bratina has met and talked to Goulbourne, plus CP officials, and believes the idea has merit.

“There’s nothing concrete yet, but no one has given up on it.”

CP Rail spokesperson Michel Spenard says the company is open to the idea, but some conditions have to be met. They are insurance and liability, traffic and signal upgrades and squeezing passenger trains onto a busy freight line. “We’d certainly not slam the door on anybody,” said Spenard.

“But that route is a busy international freight corridor and for any kind of augmentation, as far as passenger service is concerned, we’d have to put in a significant amount of capital to really make it viable.”

CP officials met in February with Welland-Niagara officials to talk about the scheme. Welland and Hamilton officials are to meet next month “to see if this thing has legs,” said Goulbourne. The mayor notes Welland has been identified in Niagara policy statements as an economic gateway for future development.

He also notes the Niagara-GTA corridor study. “It’s not just a highway. All modes of transportation will be examined. It makes me think rail is an option.”

markbarbera
Apr 21, 2008, 1:54 PM
This is interesting news indeed. I always imagined passenger service along this route.

Check out this info on self-propelled passenger trains from Colorado Rail:

http://www.coloradorailcar.com/dmu-brochure-2005.pdf

The 2-level DMU would be cool to run on this line. It also would be a good candidate for a rail line up to the airport via the old caledonia spur route.

SteelTown
Apr 21, 2008, 2:05 PM
It's a beautiful route to take as well, travelling mostly along the Niagara Escarpment. I hope this becomes a reality.

I would name it Escarpment Rail Transit or something like that.

Jon Dalton
Apr 21, 2008, 4:51 PM
It's great to see plans for the TH&B station as part of a regional network.

They could run one of these:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj194/jondalton/trip/55080302.jpg?t=1208796812

Short multiple unit trains could serve lower demand situations while realizing the efficiency benefits of rail and building momentum for increased ridership.

LikeHamilton
Apr 21, 2008, 7:17 PM
Gee I thought this should be done years ago! This is what Ottawa has been doing for a number of years. It is run by OCTranspo and is called the “O-Train”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGl5N9gif34&feature=related

SteelTown
Apr 21, 2008, 7:28 PM
For the O-Train they only paid $22 million for the pilot project because the rail was already there just needed money for some rail improvements and stations.

hamiltonguy
Apr 21, 2008, 8:28 PM
I don't think the capital for this project would be THAT bad.

I mean they just have to double track in a few places, and everywhere they would be double tracking there's space.

LikeHamilton
May 6, 2008, 7:25 PM
New “GO Bus” service from east Hamilton/Stoney Creek will start mid to late June this year. It will start from a parking lot at Barton and Nash to the Burlington GO station to connect with GO Trains and buses. There is parking for only 60 vehicles. This is a one-year trial. Yes they are looking to go to the HSR terminal at Eastgate.
They are in negotiations to put in a station in at Casablanca and the QEW to service Grimsby to Hamilton/Stoney Creek and Burlington.

In 2009 they will be starting weekend tourist service to Niagara Falls with GO Trains. They will be using VIA Rail stations along the way for their stops. They are working on issues with the Welland Canal. Right now VIA trains can be stopped by a ship anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. They are looking to have full GO Train service to the Niagara region by 2011-12.

They expect the third line into Hamilton to start service sometime in 2009 and you can expect an increase in service late next year to the GO Centre plus the increase in service by having the trains layover in Hamilton. Their goal is to get the same level of service into Hamilton as the Lakeshore run has. That is 40 to 50 trains a day. The 3rd line completion for the whole Lakeshore line from Oshawa to Hamilton is not expected to be completed until 2011-12.

Because someone will ask, I was at a meeting this morning where there was a rep from GO Transit there and that is where I got the info.

DC83
May 6, 2008, 7:29 PM
^^ Awesome news! Thanks LikeHamilton! I can't wait for that Niagara link! I have family out there, and actually enjoy spending a couple hours in the region (mo more than a couple hours tho hahaha)

40-50 Trains per DAY between both James North & TH&B? That's absolutely amazing! Congrats Dalton & Co., you have secured my vote! :D
^^ Ok, maybe I'll wait to secure the vote once LRT construction begins! haha

SteelTown
May 6, 2008, 7:37 PM
Wonderful news! Thanks a bunch LikeHamilton!

Gurnett71
May 6, 2008, 7:56 PM
This would be great. My colleagues and I always discuss the pros/cons of taking the GO to TO if our office was moved there versus carpooling. With potentially 50 trains per day for Hamilton, tax breaks and LRT, I think the pros have tipped the balance! Just hope that there will be an express train or two to TO to cut down on the travel time a bit!

fastcarsfreedom
May 7, 2008, 2:02 AM
Full GO Train service (which is what that 40/50 trains per day represents) is an absolute game-changer for the city...the demand for residential in and around the immediate station areas is going to swell considerably--as well demand for real estate in the entire region--one only needs to look at the other areas which receive full-service to see the effect it has had. Further connections down the Pen toward Niagara is welcome news and will hopefully see the station facilities used to their fullest advantage.

Having GO Transit at Eastgate would be excellent--and perhaps a more efficient use of the some of the malls parking space...Redcliffe must be loving the idea also--would definitely drive some foot traffic into the mall.

matt602
May 7, 2008, 7:47 AM
Holy crap, that news gave me a joy overload. 40-50 trains a day? Damn. Like fastcars said, that is definitely gonna kick Hamilton's downtown development right into overdrive. Stinson will have no problem with his project, neither will anyone else starting one up.

That Barton/Nash stop will also be a 5 minute walk from my house. Awesome. I can get a bus right from my house to the train. I only hope there will be ticket vending machines there (I'm doubting it since it sounds like a very temporary arrangement).

Anyway this is all great news, stuff that all of us have been pushing for decades now. Thankfully all levels of government involved are finally noticing this situation and doing something about it. I assume this means that GO will be arranging for CP to widen the Hunter St. tunnel as well. I can't see any other way they're going to get 40-50 trains into here per day.

Jon Dalton
May 7, 2008, 12:33 PM
Just to clarify, is that full service to TH&B AND the new station by 2011-12, or combined between the two stations? Thanks for sharing this.

SteelTown
May 7, 2008, 11:47 PM
Here's some more info that I managed to find....

GO bus service from Stoney Creek to Burlington will provide 16 express trips. June 28th is the day that I've been getting that the bus service will begin.

fastcarsfreedom
May 8, 2008, 12:14 AM
I'm reasonably sure you aren't going to see full-service at both stations--it doesn't make sense from either an economic or operational standpoint. My guess given TH&Bs apparent limitations is full-service at James North and peak time service at TH&B...just a hunch. Full-service to both would devour too much of GO's rolling stock and the stations aren't far apart enough to justify it. Service at TH&B keeps go downtown and connected to bus services while James North provides flexibility and onward possibilities to Niagara. Win-win.

LikeHamilton
May 8, 2008, 12:35 AM
Don’t get too excited. I said ‘their goal”!

There are lot of factors that weigh in on this including politics and budgets. Everyone wants the biggest piece of the pie. The impression I got from the GO rep is that they are not all that happy with the James Street GO site. The big impression I got is that they feel that the James site is purely a political one and not a business one. When taking to them they always reverted to the Hunter station when taking about expansion and did not talk a lot about the future and expansion of the station or service at the James site.

coalminecanary
May 8, 2008, 1:07 AM
so why doesn't GO step up and push for hunter tunnel improvements already!?

hamiltonguy
May 8, 2008, 1:59 AM
so why doesn't GO step up and push for hunter tunnel improvements already!?

Because right now they're working on expanding service towards St. Catharines along the line with more population?

Not saying that the Hamilton Welland line is a bad idea, but I think that if it runs it;ll be paid for by Hamilton and Niagara.

drpgq
May 8, 2008, 10:48 PM
Who politically is pushing for more GO service to James instead of Hunter?

I see way more benefit for more service to Hunter, it is in just a far denser area, both residentially, commercially and institutionally. And closer to the east west LRT line. With more scheduled service to Hunter, I could see condos going up in some of the underutilized areas right near the station (although I admit, being right beside the GO station hasn't seemed to help the Chateau Royal).

hamiltonguy
May 9, 2008, 2:47 AM
Who politically is pushing for more GO service to James instead of Hunter?

I see way more benefit for more service to Hunter, it is in just a far denser area, both residentially, commercially and institutionally. And closer to the east west LRT line. With more scheduled service to Hunter, I could see condos going up in some of the underutilized areas right near the station (although I admit, being right beside the GO station hasn't seemed to help the Chateau Royal).

The problem lies with eastward expansion. St.Catharines and Grimsby are larger and more connected with Hamilton and Toronto, and would therefore be more logical to serve.

Unfortunately it is not possible to serve anywhere but Welland from Hunter Street.

SteelTown
May 9, 2008, 9:12 PM
New GO service from Stoney Creek

Ken Mann
5/9/2008

Perhaps some good news for local commuters.

GO Transit is adding daily bus service between Stoney Creek and Burlington.

The service will amount to 16 daily express trips between the Red Hill Plaza at Barton and Nash, to the heavily-used GO station in Burlington.

It's being called a precursor to further services in the Niagara region, as well as a way to ease the parking demands at the Burlington station.

The new bus service will begin late next month.

raisethehammer
May 10, 2008, 2:31 AM
more info on this, with lots of Hamilton references:

GO’s ridership growing faster than service

Bus service, parking lots stretched
May 09, 2008 03:09 PM
TESS KALINOWSKI
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER
As fast as GO Transit expands its bus and train service, ridership on many routes appears to be growing faster.
This year GO was expecting about a 4- to 5 per cent increase in riders. But March ridership numbers released to GO's board of directors this week showed average weekday ridership increased 7.5 per cent over the same month last year.

That's about 14,080 more riders daily or the equivalent of nine additional train trips.

A surfeit of riders is a good problem to have when "most transit companies are out there screaming to get people on the system," said GO managing director Gary McNeil.

"We're trying to manage the demand based on the supply we've got available," he said, adding that bus capacity is almost "maxed out" even though GO introduced the first of its new double-decker fleet on the Highway 407 routes in April and it is not retiring its coaches as fast as it had expected.

Ridership is migrating to the off-peak periods when there are seats available on the trains, but at many stations there's virtually no parking available by the end of the morning rush, said customer service director Bill Jenkins.

The third track being built along GO's busy Lakeshore line means the Oakville VIA station for about $3 million by December.(The new station will be built northwest of the existing building, which is being demolished.

Georgetown riders will have their weekend bus service to Union Station increased. An hourly express service will service downtown Brampton and a second hourly service will go to Bramalea and Malton.

The transit company also plans to launch a new weekday bus service between Bronte and Milton with 13 trips in each direction to connect with 407 bus service at the Burlington 407 Carpool lot, the Lakeshore West service to Union Station and McMaster University.

As it prepares to extend service into the Niagara Region, GO is also introducing buses from a new interim park n' ride lot in Stoney Creek to the Burlington station. The move is expected to reduce the demand on parking at Burlington, where a new parking structure is supposed to open next month.

All GO Transit’s Milton trains are now pulling 12 cars that accommodate 300 additional passengers on each train.

The 12-car trains also are being used on three Lakeshore runs: the 8:25 a.m. Oshawa express train to Union Station; the 5:03 train to Pickering from Union and the 4:10 p.m. express to Burlington from Union Station.

Eight of GO’s 27 new locomotives are now in service. The agency is awaiting delivery of more locomotives before it can add more 12-car trains to the busy Lakeshore line. The new engines are supposed to be delivered by the middle of next year.

Meantime, some Lakeshore platforms still need to be lengthened to accommodate the longer trains. Platform work begins this month in Hamilton, in the summer at Appleby and in the fall at Long Branch.

DHLawrence
May 10, 2008, 2:58 AM
Good to see there's growth, even if GO's having trouble catching up.

Will GO and VIA be sharing the new station in Oakville, or are they going to be in separate buildings still?

SteelTown
May 10, 2008, 2:41 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2184/2478955259_2b020146b4.jpg

SteelTown
Jun 25, 2010, 11:15 AM
Study proposes options other than a super highway

June 25, 2010
Daniel Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/796077

It appears the much-vaunted idea of building a super highway between Fort Erie and Burlington is dead.

The group studying transportation schemes between Niagara and the GTA has outlined preferred options and they do not include the super highway.

However, it does say in its latest report that a new highway corridor between west Niagara and Stoney Creek-Hamilton "in the long term ... will help to alleviate future congestion on QEW and provide (road) network flexibility." It implies this might be beyond 2031.

The options proposed are a new highway corridor connecting the QEW in Fort Erie/Niagara Falls with Highway 406 in Welland; widening of the QEW between Highway 406 in St. Catharines and the Freeman Interchange (QEW-403-407) in Burlington; operational improvements on Highway 403 between the Ancaster-Brant County border and the Freeman Interchange in the short term; and a new corridor study to connect Highway 403 at Ancaster-Brant with Highway 407 near the Burlington-Milton border.

The options were presented at Public Information Centres held over the past week in Ancaster, Burlington and Welland. It was the fourth open house held by the Niagara-GTA study team since the idea of the super highway was put under the scrutiny of an environmental assessment by the Liberal government in 2005.

The team also recommended exploring Hamilton as the centre for an inter-regional transit service involving Niagara, Brantford, Burlington, Guelph and Kitchener- Waterloo. This would hark back to when Hamilton was the centre of numerous streetcar lines in the early part of the 20th century.

The draft transportation development strategy, which considered community, economic, environment and transportation impacts of the preferred options, will be finalized by the end of the year with input from the last information centre. It will then undergo a review by the Ministry of Transportation and other agencies.

Under the former Conservative government, a 2001 study determined the need for a new highway and premier Mike Harris announced plans to build a $1.5-billion highway between the QEW in Fort Erie and Highway 407 in Burlington.

The mid-peninsula corridor was supported by Hamilton, Niagara Region, Hamilton Chamber of Commerce and the Niagara Economic Development Corp. It was opposed by Burlington and Citizens Opposed to Paving the Escarpment because it threatened the Niagara Escarpment.

SteelTown
Jan 10, 2011, 11:39 PM
Niagara highway idea revived by Tories

Last Updated: Monday, January 10, 2011 | 5:56 PM ET
The Canadian Press

The idea of building a new highway through the Niagara peninsula linking Fort Erie with the Hamilton airport is being revived by Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak, nine months before Ontario voters face a general election.

An alternate route to the Queen Elizabeth Way from Niagara to Hamilton has been talked about for decades. It was last championed by former Conservative premier Mike Harris but fell out of favour again when the Liberals were first elected in 2003.

Plans for a mid-peninsula highway were shelved again last summer by the Liberals after a Ministry of Transportation study said the four-lane expressway wouldn't be needed for at least another 20 years.

Hudak, who represents Niagara West-Glanbrook, said the Liberals made a mistake in putting off the proposed highway, which would take some traffic off the QEW through the Niagara-Hamilton region.

"I just strongly disagree with [Premier] Dalton McGuinty, who says he's going to put off this important project until 2030 and study it again," said Hudak. "I think that's wrong. We'd go forward."

The new highway would not only bring construction jobs, but would help attract more business to Ontario, creating more full-time employment, said Hudak.

"This will be the biggest investment in job creation, not only building the highway but attracting new businesses and jobs to Niagara, Hamilton and the western GTA, in generations," he said.

"We are a trading economy, and if we don't invest in our highway infrastructure, we're not going to attract the jobs we should in our province."

Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne was unavailable for comment Monday, but the government said it was in the process of completing a transportation study for the Niagara to Toronto corridor, considering all modes of transport.

"We are not just planning to build a highway through sensitive lands," the Ministry of Transportation said in an email.

"The previous government launched into plans for building a mega-highway through some very important communities. That is not what we are doing. We want to get it right."

The New Democrats wondered where Hudak would find the money to build the new highway, which was estimated to be $1.3 billion when last costed out 10 years ago.

"The mid-peninsula corridor has been a mythical thing for years," said New Democrat Peter Kormos, who represents the Niagara-area riding of Welland.

"Nobody knows what the route would be, nobody knows who would be using it and nobody knows who would benefit."

The government's preferred options for transportation changes in the region were broken into three segments last summer, including a call for a new highway between Fort Erie and Highway 406 near Welland.

The study only supports adding two high-occupancy vehicle lanes to the QEW between St. Catharines and Burlington.

And it also calls for a new corridor study to connect Highway 403 to Highway 407 somewhere north of Ancaster and Waterdown before crossing the Niagara escarpment in Halton region.

There's no longer any need for a mid-peninsula highway and even former supporters of the idea have changed their minds, said Kormos.

"Hudak's a day late and a dollar short on this one," he said.

"The mid-peninsula corridor is no longer a flavour of the month in regional Niagara."

The government study group did not examine the idea of putting tolls on any new highways linking Niagara and the Greater Toronto Area, but hasn't ruled out charges for motorists.

"The Ontario government is committed to considering innovative ways to fund new infrastructure projects, including tolling," says the government's Niagara-GTA website page of frequently asked questions.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2011/01/10/niagara-highway.html#ixzz1Ag8qYpT0

miketoronto
Jan 25, 2011, 3:17 PM
This is just stupid. We are either going to do transit or highways, and the government better make up their minds.

If they are going to improve transit, than there really is no need for another highway through a world BIOSPHERE reserve.