PDA

View Full Version : A chef's life after the pot boils dry - The acclaimed Feenie goes down-market

SpongeG
Apr 6, 2008, 10:44 PM
ouch

A chef's life after the pot boils dry

The acclaimed Feenie goes down-market

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.nationalpost.com/most_popular/423122.bin?size=404x272
Ian Lindsay, CanWest News ServiceRob Feenie prepares butternut squash ravioli in a casual dining chain's test kitchen.

VANCOUVER -Long a leading light in Canadian haute cuisine, Rob Feenie has moved downstairs, and down-market.

This is the last place gourmands might expect -- or want -- to find one of the country's most celebrated and talented chefs: in a basement test kitchen, toiling for a "casual" restaurant chain.

Best known outside Vancouver for once beating up on Masaharu Morimoto, stone-faced chef of TV's Iron Chef America, Mr. Feenie pulls some pasta from a freezer, throws it in a pot of boiling water and scowls. He seems not in the best of moods.

Understandable. His wrist hurts; Mr. Feenie broke it not too long ago, playing hockey. His beloved Canucks are missing the NHL playoffs. But these are trifles compared to the utter indignity he has just endured.

In November, following a spat with investors, Mr. Feenie walked from Lumiere, the five-star Vancouver restaurant he founded, and Feenie's, its laid-back sidekick. His abrupt departure was front-page news here and sent shock waves through the culinary community.

"I didn't want to leave," shrugs Mr. Feenie, 43. "But it was out of my control. I had turned to the wrong people for help. It was the biggest mistake of my life."

He claims he was stripped of his duties and effectively terminated by his former partners, husband and wife duo David and Manjy Sidoo. Ironically, they had come to his rescue five years ago, when payment obligations on Lumiere's new $1.2-million kitchen threatened to bring down the entire enterprise.

"I had the wool pulled over my eyes," Mr. Feenie says. Not so, counter the Sidoos, adding that Mr. Feenie quit because of some internal miscommunication, and not because they may have favoured another, younger chef they had hired.

Fast-forward to March and another stunning development. The Sidoos struck a deal with New York-based superstar chef Daniel Boulud. He takes over the former Feenie's, next to Lumiere, and is putting in its place a version of his famous contemporary franchise, DB Bistro Moderne.

It's the first Boulud-driven restaurant in Canada. Mr. Boulud is also expected to work some magic inside the Feenie-less Lumiere. Both locations are closed until menu makeovers and front of house renovations are finished, likely in late summer.

It remains to be seen whether former Lumiere regulars will return. Some Feenie loyalists have vowed never to set foot in the restaurant again. A more interesting question is whether they will follow Mr. Feenie to his new home.

The Cactus Club Cafe is a growing chain of casual restaurants, with 17 locations in B.C. and Alberta. Mr. Feenie was introduced two months ago as the chain's "food concept architect." No one saw it coming, although he had flirted with the corporate dining industry before, appearing in television commercials for Whitespot, a B.C.-based family restaurant and fast-food chain best known for a special hamburger sauce that tastes a lot like Thousand Island salad dressing.

Cactus Club Cafe does not do haute cuisine. The fare is solid, if predictable, with well-presented takes on such pub grub staples as burgers and quesadillas. There are other, more interesting items, but no match for the brilliant, challenging dishes that Mr. Feenie once presented at Lumiere: Foie Gras Torchon rolled in gingerbread powder, with date puree and orange blossom brioche; Pheasant Boudin Blanc, with leek, ricotta & lemon ravioli, chanterelle cream and yellowfoot chanterelles; caramelized white chocolate namelaka with muscavado wafer, peach sorbet, Ras al Hanout poached peaches and white chocolate corn.

Opening in 1995, with an initial investment of $500,000, Lumiere won some serious honours, including membership in the Relais Chateaux Gourmand and a five-star rating from the American Automobile Association.

But it was not for everyone. In fact, Lumiere was for very few. A typical meal for two, with wine and tip, cost $500.

Moving to the Cactus Club Cafe, suggests Mr. Feenie, will help democratize good dining. Obviously, he can't cook for everyone. He'll limit his culinary duties to the company's test kitchen, where he's already whipping up new menu choices, and he'll be at the helm when the company's new, $6.5-million flagship restaurant in downtown Vancouver opens this spring

He's not giving away any secrets. Competition in the so-called "casual fine dining" category in which Cactus Club operates is cutthroat, especially in Vancouver, where several other chains --Milestones, Browns, Earl's --already crowd the market.

Mr. Feenie does allow that customers will soon be offered organic fare. He's fiddling with the menu's meat dishes and fussing with the fish.

He's considering bringing over other signature dishes from his former digs, such as the ravioli that he's been tweaking in his new employer's test kitchen.

Mr. Feenie goes into Iron Chef mode and in 10 minutes presents butternut squash ravioli with mascarpone cheese, in a light citrus butter and topped with Parmigiano-Reggiano, deep-fried sage, grated amaretto cookie, truffle oil and extra virgin olive oil. It's very good.

The chef's mood lightens. He smiles, as if recalling when he was on top of the food scene.

"That is a Feenie-esque dish," he says. Then he adds a line that only an old master of haute cuisine could muster: "I still have influence in my mouth feel."

http://www.nationalpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=423121

deasine
Apr 7, 2008, 12:08 AM
Feenie and Lumiere is being renovated and replaced by another restaurant owned by Daniel Boulud from New York.

Post-Feenie, Lumière lands a New York star

ALEXANDRA GILL
From Monday's Globe and Mail
March 10, 2008 at 8:50 AM EDT

VANCOUVER — Go big or go home.
That was the choice facing the owners of Lumière and Feenie's after executive chef Rob Feenie walked away from their partnership last fall.
David and Manjy Sidoo decided to go huge.
Instead of closing the restaurants (a seriously considered option), they recruited superstar Daniel Boulud as their new business partner and executive chef at Lumière.
"I think this will be good for Vancouver," said Mr. Sidoo, who will be introducing Mr. Boulud at a press conference on Friday.
That's putting it mildly. Mr. Boulud is the first major celebrity chef to open a restaurant anywhere in Canada. The news has sent shockwaves through the culinary community.
Born in Lyon, Mr. Boulud trained in France but made his mark in New York. He was the executive chef at Le Cirque during the famed restaurant's heyday in the late 1980s.
He now owns six award-winning restaurants in the United States, including Daniel, his flagship fine-dining restaurant in New York. This spring, he will be opening a seventh restaurant in Beijing.
"We weren't restaurateurs, but we were forced into it," Mr. Sidoo, a venture capitalist and former Canadian Football League player, explained.
He and his wife were silent investors in Feenie's when the restaurant opened in 2003. Three years ago, when Lumière was on the verge of bankruptcy, they bought a majority ownership and became more actively involved in the restaurant's operations.
Their long-simmering differences with Mr. Feenie came to a boil last November, when the executive chef walked away from the restaurant, citing a breach of his employment
contract.
"[Daniel] has been a good friend throughout all of this," said Mr. Sidoo, who has had to cope with a major exodus of staff since the highly publicized split.
"He was the first one to call and say, 'What can I do?' "
Though the terms of the contract are confidential, Mr. Sidoo says he and Mr. Boulud are equal partners in the venture.
He won't say how much time Mr. Boulud will actually spend in Vancouver.
"He will spend a lot of time here initially to transform the menus and bring both chef de cuisines up to his standards of quality."
Feenie's, which shutters for renovations on Mar. 20, will reopen as DB Bistro Moderne Vancouver.
The new restaurant will be modelled after Mr. Boulud's casual New York restaurant where he launched the world's most expensive hamburger (a prime rib patty topped with braised short ribs, seared foie gras and 20 grams of shaved black truffle, which now sells for $150 U.S.).
At Lumière, Mr. Boulud will work with Dale MacKay, the chef de cuisine who has been running the kitchen since the fall. The restaurant closes for renovations at the end of April for about two months.
At DB Bistro Moderne, Mr. Boulud will bring in a new chef from one of his U.S. restaurants. The restaurant closes on Mar. 20 and should reopen at the end of June.
Mr. Sidoo said he is encouraging the staff who stuck with him to reapply for work when the restaurants open again.
Mr. Feenie, who has often cited Mr. Boulud as a mentor, says he is flattered by the choice of replacement. "Do you think he came cheap? If this is the only way they can replace me, that's great. It's great for the restaurant and it's great for Vancouver."
The best of Boulud
Restaurants Daniel (New York), Café Boulud (New York
and Palm Beach, Fla.), DB Bistro Moderne (New York), Bar Boulud (New York), Daniel Boulud
Brasserie (Las Vegas), Maison Boulud (Beijing)
Awards Among others, the James Beard awards for Outstanding Restaurateur (2006), Outstanding Chef of the Year (1994) and Best Chef of New York (1992)
Source: Globe and Mail

Hong Kongese
Apr 7, 2008, 1:53 AM
I kind of feel sorry for this guy, I don't know if he has bad luck or if he is a complete idiot in the bussiness aspect, a man with so much talent should have been one of the richest chefs in the world.

SpongeG
Apr 7, 2008, 1:55 AM
i think he let the hype get to his head and than he believed in it and than made dumb decisions

Mike K.
Apr 7, 2008, 2:02 AM
He'll be fine. A man with his skills is sought after the world over and his move to Cactus might seem like a downgrade but I bet he's making a significant income by working in that "test kitchen."

Hong Kongese
Apr 7, 2008, 2:51 AM
I don't think Cactus Club will keep him for too long, once they find out that he is no longer useful to them they will fire the poor guy for sure. Then, he'll probably go looking for a job in McDonalds.

cc85
Apr 7, 2008, 3:41 AM
charging $500 for a dinner for two will never win me over.

jlousa
Apr 7, 2008, 6:50 PM
I've been to both of his old restaurants, too be honest I was never impressed. The meals did not cost $500. Closer to the $100 range for two, no different then most nicer places. The word in the industry is as others have mentioned, he suffered from his ego. There's no denying his skill, maybe this whole experience will humble him and he can reclaim his former glory. I agree I don't see him at the Catcus club for very long. Hopefully he saves some money though as I don't beleive any investor will be interested in opening a business with him any time soon though.

vanlaw
Apr 7, 2008, 7:05 PM
I don't think Cactus Club will keep him for too long, once they find out that he is no longer useful to them they will fire the poor guy for sure. Then, he'll probably go looking for a job in McDonalds.

I think he took this "contract" (dont know terms or length - but suspect he is being paid very, very well) to build up some capital to open a new restaurant. I bet he does 2 years with CC, then sets off with some other "landmark" restaurant bearing his name.

djh
Apr 7, 2008, 9:23 PM
I think he took this "contract" (dont know terms or length - but suspect he is being paid very, very well) to build up some capital to open a new restaurant. I bet he does 2 years with CC, then sets off with some other "landmark" restaurant bearing his name.

Agree with jlo on both points - I've never had a $500 meal at Lumiere/Feenies, but you never know, back when it opened it may have been that pricey (I wasn't around then). And the other point, he'll definitely be gone in 2 years either because his ego or the CC accountants will nix the deal. I mean, which regular Cactus Club customer (think Johnny Beerville with a baseball cap, a Ford F150 and a cute lululemon-clad gf) is going to care that their food was "designed" by Rob Feenie? Like they are going to pay an extra $5-$10 on their menu for that? They 'll just go to Earls and watch "the game" with a few extra beers!

mezzanine
Apr 7, 2008, 11:29 PM
^^ LOL!! But it is so true...

Apr 22, 2008, 2:28 PM
charging $500 for a dinner for two will never win me over.

That's the general idea....