PDA

View Full Version : West Capital Airpark [1500 Thomas Argue Rd] | Proposed

c_speed3108
Apr 3, 2008, 1:02 PM
This is a neat idea. Having your own hanger connected to the taxi-way

http://www.wcd.ca/

Airpark development in position for takeoff
As soon as the snow melts, developers plan to start work on Tailwind Estates near the Carp Airport, reports Carolyn Kuipers.
Carolyn Kuipers, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Thursday, April 03, 2008

Imagine getting out of bed in your home just west of Ottawa, spending a leisurely afternoon on Toronto Island and returning in time for dinner.

This is what developers have in mind for future residents of Tailwind Estates.

West Capital Developments is gearing up for a spring start for construction of the fly-in community at the Carp Airport, a short drive from Scotiabank Place.

The 1,000-acre project will be completed in three phases, the first of them beginning when the snow melts. The land will be graded and roads will be roughed-in, with asphalt hopefully following in August, West Capital vice-president James McDermott said.

Construction of the first homes is expected to begin in the fall, president John Phillips said, with the first occupancy permits scheduled for spring 2009.

"The approval process was a lot more cumbersome than I expected," Mr. Phillips said, but the project is moving forward as scheduled.

The company is accepting deposits on the lots and about 30 per cent have been claimed already.

Chad Wilton will be one of the first residents at the airpark, having already placed a $5,000 deposit on a taxiway lot. The owner of three The Bulk Barn stores comes from a family of pilots.

"My father and grandfather are both long-term pilots and I'm a student myself," Mr. Wilton said. About 10 hours from completing his licence, he plans to fly mainly for recreation, visiting his father and grandfather in the Muskoka area.

"There's a certain culture that comes with aviation. It's a close-knit group," said Mr. Wilton, who remembers flying as a child with his father into little-known airports.

"There was always someone offering to drive us into town for a hamburger."

He hopes to do the same for others from his eventual home in the airpark.

The lots available for traditional homes in the airpark range from 50 to 70 feet wide, while the estate lots, one of which Mr. Wilton will have, are 100-150 feet wide. In the initial phase, there will be about 30 estate lots.

There are more than 500 communities built around airplanes so far, mostly in the United States.

Mr. Phillips says a trip from Ottawa to Toronto by airplane with a 125-horsepower engine uses more fuel per hour, but takes less time than driving a car. "The carbon footprint is about the same," he said.

Living next to an airport wasn't always popular because of noise concerns, but that may be changing. Mr. McDermott said Tailwind Estates was capitalizing on the convenience of not having to wait for hours in commercial airports and the sense of security from living in a gated community.

The development will eventually total 329 houses or townhomes. Some will have communal airplane hangars, while the larger estate lots will allow for the construction of private hangars with taxiway access.

There will also be roads and garages for cars. The traditional homes will be built on cul-de-sacs, while the estate lots will line the taxiway.

Mr. McDermott is not a pilot and has no intentions of obtaining a licence, but has purchased a taxiway lot after seeing a similar upscale community near Daytona Beach, Florida.

"People were outside at their barbecue, waving at the pilot of a plane coming down the taxiway," he said.

Mr. Phillips is an aviation enthusiast. He grew up near the airpark in Florida that Mr. McDermott would later visit and says he knew at a young age he would one day live in a fly-in community.

When the City of Ottawa requested proposals to determine the future of the Carp Airport, Mr. Phillips acted.

The airpark development will also include business and aerospace operations in a business park.

It is being marketed to aviation enthusiasts and frequent-flyer business people as a means of connecting Ottawa with major commercial hubs, including Toronto, Boston and Chicago.

Others are skeptical. One pilot questions the resale value of a $500,000 home at an airport.

"There's not a lot of money being made in the aviation industry; it's got to be something you really enjoy to be involved," said Robert Burns, owner of Westair Aviation flight training at Carp Airport.

The development was originally expected to cost $50 million, but Mr. McDermott estimates the total project is now at $30 million after changes to the water and sewer systems.

Instead of having city water and sewer lines, the airpark system will be financed, designed, built, operated and owned by Corix Utilities, which has an office in London, Ont.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

YOWflier
Apr 3, 2008, 1:46 PM
Maybe we can lure John Travolta to build a home there. :D

Here is one of his current homes, complete with two gates (one for his bizjet and another for his Qantas B707):

(Google image search)

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/flying/assets/travoltas_house.jpg

c_speed3108
Apr 3, 2008, 1:51 PM
Maybe we can lure John Travolta to build a home there. :D

Here is one of his current homes, complete with two gates (one for his bizjet and another for his Qantas B707):

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/flying/assets/travoltas_house.jpg

Is that a helo-pad in the front too?

Rathgrith
Apr 4, 2008, 3:51 AM
^Its probably a Scientology landing spot. Or a way to communicate with L. Ron.

clynnog
Apr 4, 2008, 2:11 PM
This is a neat idea. Having your own hanger connected to the taxi-way

http://www.wcd.ca/

You can dress this all you want, but when you boil it down to its bare bones, it is ex-urbia sprawl (on an Ottawa scale). Honestly, how many pilots are there out there wanting to live amongst other pilots in an area without many other facilities nearby. Well, I guess the Cheshire Cat is nearby.

c_speed3108
Apr 4, 2008, 2:56 PM
You can dress this all you want, but when you boil it down to its bare bones, it is ex-urbia sprawl (on an Ottawa scale). Honestly, how many pilots are there out there wanting to live amongst other pilots in an area without many other facilities nearby. Well, I guess the Cheshire Cat is nearby.

I suspect there is probably enough such pilots in this area. General aviation is pretty popular in this area. There are several flight schools and flying clubs (and flying clubs with flight schools) There are also a number of these small airport/airstrips in the area including Rockcliffe, the north field at the big airport, carp, Gatineau, and several others across eastern Ontario.

Really I can't imagine many people wanting to live in the middle of an airport, so if there is not sufficient pilots that want this I can't see much of this getting built.

eemy
Apr 4, 2008, 3:03 PM
I wasn't sure of the feasibility, but frankly, I'm impressed they managed to get a deposit on 30% of the units already.

YOWflier
Apr 4, 2008, 4:27 PM
Obviously enough pilots exist to demand such a development.

Forget about stripping it down to it's bare bones. This is a niche development to servce a niche market. It's all about giving folks who are passionate about flying an opportunity to have their very own flying club in their back yard. You just can't do that in the city, unless there's a condo with a runway going up that I didn't know about.

If I had my PPL, and especially if I owned a plane, I would move there in a second. Having the ability to fly at a moment's notice would be pure heaven.

clynnog
Apr 4, 2008, 5:04 PM
If I had my PPL, and especially if I owned a plane, I would move there in a second. Having the ability to fly at a moment's notice would be pure heaven.

Is Melissa willing to move to the edge of Carp with you.?

YOWflier
Apr 4, 2008, 7:32 PM
Perhaps I should clarify what I said earlier. I wouldn't automatically move there 'in a second', but I would certainly give it strong consideration. Obviously Melissa would need to be consulted in this decision too.

waterloowarrior
Aug 15, 2013, 3:40 PM
Finally an update courtesy OBJ: seems like it's becoming more of a traditional development, but with a business park still

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Residential/2013-08-15/article-3347919/Sheldon-Creek-charts-new-course-for-Carp-Airport-development/1

Sheldon Creek charts new course for Carp Airport development

The new owner of land around the Carp Airport says he intends to start constructing residential and commercial space around the west-end property next year, more than a decade after previous proponents first pitched development plans.

Sheldon Creek, which has a portfolio of properties in Orangeville, Walkerton and Durham Region, says it bought out West Capital Developments earlier this year and is now managing the proposed $50-million project, which includes plans for the construction of 354 residential units and a 188-acre business park on the west-end airport property.

The original WCD proposal, approved in 2003, was for a gated fly-in community adjacent to a high-tech business park. But the idea never found its wings, and in the spring of 2012 one of the project’s partners pulled its funding.

In January 2013, Sheldon Creek began its revamp of the plagued project and ditched plans for a residential airpark, says Sheldon Creek owner Andrew Wildeboer.

“We honestly don’t believe there’s a big enough market to build that type of community,” Mr. Wildeboer says. “Our focus has changed from promoting the development solely as a fly-in community to a residential development with large, serviced lots, as well as expansion to the business park.”

While the marketing strategy has shifted, the advantages of living beside an airport for recreational pilots and frequent business travellers will still be available. “We are going to have houses that have airport accessibility, so those that want to can have that option,” says Mr. Wildeboer.

Estate lots ranging from half an acre to five acres will start in the low $200,000s, and urban lots of 50 feet by 150 feet will start in the low $100,000s, Mr. Wildeboer says. Residents will receive city water, but will pay into a private sewage treatment system. The community will operate like a private condominium, with some of the maintenance fees directed to the airport.

The planned 188-acre business park will be carved into parcels of land ranging from one to 50 acres for businesses involved in aerospace, advanced manufacturing and technology industries.

Mr. Wildeboer says business reaction has been strong.

“We’re getting good interest. We can’t sell property yet but we have people interested in moving their companies out there,” he says.

Mr. Wildeboer says the team is on track to get shovels in the ground by next spring.

SIDEBAR: CARP AIRPORT
Carp Airport, located 2.2 kilometres south of the village, was originally a military airfield and used as a training base during the Second World War.
Transport Canada turned it over in 1997 to the former municipality of West Carleton, which became part of the City of Ottawa in 2001.

According to its website, West Carleton Developments was founded in 2002 with the purpose of developing the Carp Airport lands.

The local firm says city council agreed in 2003 to exclusively negotiate the sale of the property to WCD. Two years later, the city gave its final approval to the deal, which was to see WCD take “direct control” of the airport by the end of 2005.

A 2007 Ottawa Citizen article said plans for the fly-in community were moving “ahead cautiously, with numerous extensions of deadlines and interim benchmarks” for WCD, which was then led by president John Phillips.
The city finally sold the property to WCD for $1.2 million in 2010, according to media reports.

JM1
Aug 15, 2013, 6:56 PM
Good one. But L. Ron probably communicates with him -- someone needs to fund scientology's operations.

Seriously though, the guy owns a 707 and a business jet and still has brown grass growing all around his house? Tsk, tsk.

I like that the pool is on the tarmac side of the house. If you want to wash the windows, just turn that 707 around a power it up -- the pool water will do the job.

Now, can anyone explain how he backs the jets up from the gate? Does he have his own tractor?

^Its probably a Scientology landing spot. Or a way to communicate with L. Ron.

OTSkyline
Aug 16, 2013, 2:10 PM
I hope this doesn't go through... STOP with the suburban sprawl already!

There is plenty of room to build closer to the city where there is already existing roads, infrastructure, schools, water, sewers etc... All of this extended sprawl costs a lot of tax dollars.

Next thing you know we will be building more from Mattamy Homes and Richcraft subdivisions in Vars, Richmond, Carp, Dunrobin etc...

todspe67
Aug 16, 2013, 4:13 PM
I hope this doesn't go through... STOP with the suburban sprawl already!

There is plenty of room to build closer to the city where there is already existing roads, infrastructure, schools, water, sewers etc... All of this extended sprawl costs a lot of tax dollars.

Next thing you know we will be building more from Mattamy Homes and Richcraft subdivisions in Vars, Richmond, Carp, Dunrobin etc...

Couldn't agree more! If it doesn't stop, we're going to be in trouble sooner or later. Build up! Not out.

1overcosc
Aug 16, 2013, 8:29 PM
Growth outside the UTA should focus solely on marginal growth in the existing towns and villages, with all new growth tightly integrated into the existing settlement fabric of them. No other non-UTA growth should be permitted.

waterloowarrior
Nov 27, 2013, 1:20 AM
report on the FEDCO agenda to make it easier to develop
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2359&doctype=agenda&itemid=312035

Williamoforange
Dec 12, 2022, 7:53 PM
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applications/D02-02-22-0084/details

1500 THOMAS ARGUE

Ottawacurious
Dec 13, 2022, 9:11 PM
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applications/D02-02-22-0084/details

1500 THOMAS ARGUE

Looks like a continuation of diamondview estates?