PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Street"Imagination and being sensible is not necessarily opposite"

the capital urbanite
Mar 23, 2008, 6:18 PM
Commit to a making a nice city, and suddenly people will come

Maria Cook
The Ottawa Citizen

Saturday, March 22, 2008

What strikes a visitor here are the bicycles -- hundreds of them, attached to bike racks in front of places like the central train station, the national library or a suburban high school.

Copenhagen has a reputation as one of the world's most livable cities. They've been working on it for 40 years, with policies geared toward convenient and pleasant cycling, walking and use of public transit.

More recently, the city has reversed the flight to the suburbs with features such as

a new metro, well-designed housing on former industrial sites and along the waterfront, and cultural facilities such as beautiful large new opera house designed by the famous Danish firm Henning Larsen.

The City of Ottawa's official plan aims to have more people living downtown in order to limit suburban sprawl. Copenhagen is leading the way with public policies that do just that.

"Some cities say let's move people in and then we'll have the money to improve downtown," says Danish urban planning consultant Jan Gehl.

"That's not how it works. When you have a strong commitment to make a nice city, to step up the quality so it makes sense to raise your family in the city, suddenly people come."

In the 1970s, when more space was being given to cars, the Danish cycling union organized large demonstrations which put pressure on politicians to improve conditions for cyclists. Today, about 36 per cent of Copenhagen residents cycle to work; 60 per cent year-round.

With the 1999 opening of the Royal Library, a handsome building dubbed the Black

Diamond and situated on Copenhagen's inner harbour, planners decided against parking for cars. Instead, there are several hundred bike parking spots.

"It was not a controversial decision," says Jonas Thomsen, spokesman for Schmidt Hammer Lassen, the Danish architecture firm which designed the tilted black-stone building.

Across the city, people can borrow city bikes for a small fee which is refunded when they return the bike at any of 125 bike stands. Bike routes are separated from vehicular traffic, have their own traffic signals, and bikes receive right-of-way priority over cars.

In addition to bus and commuter trains, a new metro opened in 2002, which goes to the airport in less than 15 minutes from downtown. When the metro is complete, 85% of all citizens will have less than 600 metres to the nearest metro station .

Mr. Gehl says Ottawa's plans for light rail are essential to feeding the city's success.

"A good public realm and good public transport system are brother and sister. If you want people to use public space you have to make sure they can get to it in style, safety and comfort."

Every city faces the problem of how to finance large infrastructure. Copenhagen has built metro lines to areas it wants developed, then sold adjacent city-owned land at the increased value brought to it by transit proximity.

Ørestad is one of these new areas built up around an elevated metro that takes passengers to the city centre in 15 minutes. But transportation isn't everything. An emphasis on creating innovative housing has also enticed people back to the city, says Christian Hanak, a curator at the Danish Architecture Centre.

For instance, a building by BIG, a hip young Copenhagen architecture firm, sold out 240 condos in weeks even though the area will be a construction site for 20 years.

To provide daylight, views and privacy, the architects oriented the units away from another by shaping the housing block into the letters V and M. The result is a mosaic of more than 80 apartment types. Some have triangular balconies, others have rooms with up to five-metre ceilings.

"Imagination and being sensible is not necessarily opposite," says BIG's founder Bjarke Ingels. "Instead of cutting costs so you're only building the saddest slabs, we said to the client 'what if you invest a bit more and make it much more interesting and it also becomes more profitable.' In the end, the client is proud that he did this."

An example of the firm's work can be seen in an exhibition called Urbanopolis at the Museum of Civilization in Quebec City until April 19. Their project, called HySociety, features a mixed-use building that is so energy efficient, the architects claim it will eliminate energy bills.

In the southern part of the Copenhagen harbour, Sluseholmen is developing into a canal city lined with attractive five- to seven-storey residential buildings. Danish architecture firm Arkitema, in charge of the area's master plan, hired 20 different architects to do facades in order to bring variety, diversity and avoid the mega-project look.

In Ottawa, condos are sprouting up as the answer to creating higher density in the inner city. "I think they're quite awful," Mr. Gehl says. "You can have much higher densities in lower buildings than people realize. The lazy solution is to make towers."
© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

Aylmer
Mar 23, 2008, 9:48 PM
Go to a bad place Mr.Gehl.

:(

p_xavier
Mar 23, 2008, 10:03 PM
Go to a bad place Mr.Gehl.

Yes, I'm amazed on how they think no one likes to live in a skyscrapper or that nobody likes them.

Aylmer
Mar 23, 2008, 10:06 PM
And that everyone is yearning to go live in underground housing units and that we are completely reluctant to have towers go up and that if we could, we would bomb them and live peacefully in our bungalows.

Life is full of surprises and idiots.

:)

ajldub
Mar 23, 2008, 10:55 PM
Here's a post that is sure to draw some flak:

I have spent many hours pondering on Sparks over the years. It has such nice buildings unlike any other street in Ottawa. The pedestrian mall is an interesting and totally underused space. For not totally clear reasons the feds keep snatching up all the properties on the street and shutting them down to the local community. Here's the way I see it: the pedestrian mall will always be broken up by intersecting streets, and with the heavy federal meddling it is unlikely that a vibrant pedestrian mall like the Copenhagen comparison will ever materialize. I say admit defeat, pave the street and bring the cars back. That would be the best and fastest way to make the street more vibrant. And it's too central to the CBD and interrupted with other roads to make a real pedestrian-friendly place. Instead, turn the streets around the Byward market into the local pedestrian mall. I never understood why cars are allowed to drive down those streets; they are always jammed and don't really go anywhere you couldn't get to via Dalhousie or Sussex. And the retail/cafe/bar culture around the place would only benefit from the increased pedestrian space. I'm sure there are people here who disagree with me but I think we really have to let the dream of the Sparks street mall die.

p_xavier
Mar 23, 2008, 11:17 PM
I'm sure there are people here who disagree with me but I think we really have to let the dream of the Sparks street mall die.

For the street to survive, remove all link to the NCC. Everything they touch, they ruin it. And I would suggest a tramway on that street, which is one of the few that could actulally support this mean of transit.

Aylmer
Mar 24, 2008, 12:06 AM
Life is full of surprises and idiots.

Sorry Ajldub. But it's my quoted opinion.
The automobile will die. We can't prolong it's pain:
We must let go of our love... Cut the plug doc.

ajldub
Mar 24, 2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah the O-train could work....

Aylmer
Mar 24, 2008, 10:59 AM
Ottawa has always been considered a small town, a bland and culturless city that could never move forward. As much as I hate to say it, it is true. But its not out of reach! All we need to do is try. Trying is the one thing we have never done, never tried! And I think that if we where to attempt, through into the darkness, we could have a metropolis as cosmopolitain as Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver! Our Mayors have been, one after another, all the same: keep the city running at minimum cost, don't try, new is bad. And because of the fact that they have been unbelievebly partisan, we have never moved forward. The only reason we have things to be proud of is thanks to the Federal Government: NAC, MNH, NAG, MCiv.
We have to take our own city out of the hands of politicians and into the hands of people that can look forward and not at their ratings.
If we did, we could host the olympics, build a city-wide LRT, Host an Expo, build a skyscraper, become the GREENEST city in Canada!

We just need to try.

waterloowarrior
Jul 31, 2008, 4:36 PM
http://www.portalitalia.com.br/viaggio/imagens/GalleriaVittorioEmanuele%20II.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/AdamLaMore/R-HkJW_y7KI/AAAAAAAAACk/_EENAGAe0wo/100_0809.JPG?imgmax=640

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff121/mindstorms32/Kumamoto/IMG_1937.jpg

I think Sparks would be pretty cool with a glass roof like these areas....

c_speed3108
Jul 31, 2008, 5:02 PM
They tried the glassed in thing on the Rideau bus mall....it was a disaster.

p_xavier
Jul 31, 2008, 5:30 PM
They tried the glassed in thing on the Rideau bus mall....it was a disaster.

Well it was definitely not the same thing.... here he's talking about a eaton centre style mall.

the capital urbanite
Jul 31, 2008, 7:12 PM
Well it was definitely not the same thing.... here he's talking about a eaton centre style mall.

...the lack of people on Sparks isn't due to a lack of temporary shelter rather its the lack of permanent shelter (i.e housing) that makes Sparks lifeless

...sticking a roof over Sparks will not attract people!

waterloowarrior
Jul 31, 2008, 7:18 PM
I don't think it's the solution (more residents and different retail policies is), but it could be a nice amenity

c_speed3108
Jul 31, 2008, 7:56 PM
I agree it is not the same thing, but lets face it, heated enclosures downtown make nice spots for the homeless...

Beside we already have a downtown shopping center: Rideau Centre.

It simply needs to interface with Rideau street much better than it does.

As for Sparks:

The place needs to be de-governmented and pro-retailed. The there is far too many crappy government NCC policies that simply chase retailers away. It needs to be run by people that actually understand retail.

We also have to be realistic that given where it is, most of the business is going to be daytime weekday. It is the reverse of suburban shopping centres which do most of their business weeknights and weekend. It just comes down to where people are (physically) at different times. You just gear towards it.

p_xavier
Jul 31, 2008, 8:11 PM
...the lack of people on Sparks isn't due to a lack of temporary shelter rather its the lack of permanent shelter (i.e housing) that makes Sparks lifeless

...sticking a roof over Sparks will not attract people!

Eaton Centre is the most visited attraction in Canada (well it was until recently). You guys minimise how much shopping is an activity for small towners. You don't go to a town to visit, you go to shop. There is a recent spike in activity in Rideau Centre, and they have to cancel tenants lease just to attract new buisinesses.

Even in the summer, the Parliament is one of the most visited attraction, and yet, Sparks is still dead, so with thousands of people in the area, it still doesn't work attracting people. I have certainly my doubts about putting condos there will resolve the "life" issue.

It works in MTL and in Toronto because you have one retail street that funnels into a shopping mall, which funnel in an open space.

AuxTown
Jul 31, 2008, 9:10 PM
It's not just having people living on Sparks that's gonna bring it back to life, it's creating pedestrian traffic there. It's obvious, from the orientation of buildings and recent street redevelopments that the city hopes to make Bank, Somerset, and Sparks the pedestrian thoroughfares in downtown Ottawa. People use those routes to get where they are going (i.e. Rideau Centre, the canal, Byward Market, Ottawa River Parkway). As Centretown gains population, these streets will naturally become busier and the result will be more services and better urban environments. Even in the last 2-3 years there have been a number of new pubs and restaurants opening along sparks (including a really great Jazz place) though the absence of new exciting retail is a real sore spot. I don't think you could ever build enough residential along Sparks to even compare to the number of people shuttled in during the day for work, but as more and more condos pop up in Centretown, Sparks will remain a major corridor and it's businesses will reap the benefits. I think the next few years we will really see if this is the case as there will be about 400 units of wealthy condo-dwellers moving in between 2009 and 2010 (Mondrian and Hudson Park), possibly bringing with them new business oportunities. In summary, I find it really strange that people are so negative about Sparks. Yes, traffic drops 90% at night, but it's a real awesome place during the day. All we need to do is find new customers and new pedestrians to take their place once the feds retreat back to Farhaven at 4pm everyday.

rodionx
Jul 31, 2008, 10:48 PM
:previous:

Agree with this. Sparks isn't so bad. By day it's too crowded, and by night it's a pleasant pedestrian route from Centretown to the Market. It's not going to become the major shopping street it was decades ago because the retail is in Rideau Centre and the 'burbs now. It would benefit from some street-oriented night spots, and that's already happening.

If there's work to be done, it's on Bank Street. That's a street that already has a large and growing population base, but still feels a bit... gungy. It's got an awful lot of low-end retail - pawn shops, cheque cashing places, nail salons, canned goods stores and so forth. The city is sprucing it up, but ultimately the street's success will depend on economic factors. Those condo buildings are a good start.

Incidentally, Ottawa's Chinatown has a vibrant nightlife that doesn't seem to register much. Sparks and Preston Street get more press, but Somerset from Bay to Preston is a pretty significant downtown destination. Go there at 8:00 p.m. on a weekday and you'll see the restaurants are full and there's lots of people around.

c_speed3108
Aug 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
Ottawa's Chinatown area is seriously the most under-rated, under-marketed thing in the city.

==============================================

The other key on many of the these downtown business streets is convincing businesses to stay open later than 5 or 6 PM. The average suburban shopping centre stays open till 9 and often 10 some nights around the holiday season.

I used to notice walking along bank street to go to evening events at Lansdowne park, everything besides resturants and pubs shuts at 5 or perhaps 6. No wonder streets are dead...there is nothing on them. You can do anything you want to a street...including put a roof on it, but if there is nothing open on it after a certain hour, there won't be much pedestrian traffic.