View Full Version : Hotel Developments

Pages : [1] 2 3

SteelTown
Mar 6, 2008, 12:16 PM
Sheraton Hamilton latest target of hotel developers

March 06, 2008
Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator

The Sheraton Hamilton Hotel may soon be sold and refurbished -- the latest in a stunning series of plans to renovate or build hundreds of hotel rooms in the city.

An official of the steelworkers' union, which represents 130 employees of the downtown Sheraton, reports that Darko Vranich and his Burlington-based Vrancor Group have signed a letter of intent to buy the hotel.

A hospitality industry consultant says any buyer will have to invest millions to upgrade the 21-year-old property.

Downtown development director Ron Marini also revealed yesterday that the city has committed to giving Staybridge Suites owner John Bukovac tax incentives to build on the former Hamilton Motor Products used-car lot on the south side of Main Street West just west of Bay Street South.

That news comes as:

* The former Ramada Plaza is renovated to become a four-star Crowne Plaza this spring.

* Dethroned Toronto condo king Harry Stinson tries to convert the vacant Royal Connaught into a boutique hotel and apartments.

* A downtown car dealership is being turned into a Days Inn.

* Plans are floated to build five more hotels downtown in addition to one or two overlooking Highway 403 in west Hamilton and one near the 403-Linc interchange in Ancaster.

David Adames, executive director of Tourism Hamilton, sees it as part of a boom in hotel development that's swept across Ontario in recent years, noting that Hamilton has suffered from a shortage of quality hotel rooms for some time.

David Larone, a director of Toronto hospitality consulting firm PKF, attributes industry interest to the success of the city's two newest hotels, the Marriott Courtyard on Upper James Street and Staybridge Suites downtown.

He said Staybridge, developed by Vrancor, which has since sold its share, "has performed very well" and the Courtyard, developed by Oscar Kichi's Sahar Hospitality, "has done extremely well," so the interest in further investment downtown should be no surprise.

Larone also said, "Whoever would end up acquiring the Sheraton would certainly be looking to invest dollars and that's a good-news scenario."

Rumours of an impending Sheraton sale are rampant, and Jereme Lee, head of the Sheraton Hamilton unit of the United Steelworkers of America, Local 16506, said yesterday that employees were told early in January about Vrancor's letter of intent to buy the hotel.

He said the original closing date has passed, but he understands negotiations to conclude the deal are continuing.

Neither Vrancor nor Starwood Hotels, which owns the Sheraton, could be reached for comment yesterday.

Kichi, who aims to open the former Ramada Plaza as a Crowne Plaza in early May, with a new conference centre next door, said he made an unsuccessful bid for the Sheraton when it first was listed for sale, but turned down an invitation to try again late last year because he was making plans for one or two new hotels at the McMaster Innovation Park in west Hamilton.

Proposals for new downtown hotels:

* The owner of Staybridge Suites wants to build on the former Hamilton Motor Products used-car lot on the south side of Main Street West between Caroline and Bay.

* Vrancor plans a Hilton Homewood Suites on the northwest corner of Main and Bay streets.

* Two are included in the City of Hamilton's plan to redevelop the Education Centre site on the northeast corner of Main and Bay. The city won't identify the interested developers.

* A Holiday Inn Express at King and Queen streets is reportedly being considered by Vrancor.

flar
Mar 6, 2008, 1:30 PM
I'd be more enthused about this if Vranich got going on the Hilton or any other of his projects for that matter.

SteelTown
Mar 6, 2008, 4:32 PM
More movement in local hotel business

Mar, 06 2008 - 8:00 AM

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - Yet another Hamilton hotel is making news today.

This time, there's word the Sheraton Hotel downtown may be sold and refurbished.

Burlington's Vrancor Group has signed a letter of intent to buy the hotel.

This comes amid word the city has committed tax incentives to build an Intercontinental Hotel beside the Bank of Montreal at Main and Bay.

SteelTown
Mar 6, 2008, 4:33 PM
Intercontinental Hotel is nice!

matt602
Mar 6, 2008, 4:54 PM
I'm not enthused. This guy is already sitting on tons of properties he could be developing. If he grabs one of our already functioning hotels theres a likely chance he could sit on it and let it go to shit.

I'm more than willing to be surprised, but I don't expect it.

DC83
Mar 6, 2008, 5:01 PM
I'll be happy to hear these annoucements once I see some solid work happening at ANY of these sites, primarily the HMP site... and by 'work' I don't mean demolition!

coalminecanary
Mar 6, 2008, 5:06 PM
Word is that HMP is on track for groundbreaking after the thaw since it is more expensive (and sometimes not possible) to start under heavy snowfall ;-)

The city's stance is apparently to not piss them off by bitching about the parking lot before they even start development. I guess they are giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

But I agree, all of this standstill makes me really nervous....

SteelTown
Mar 6, 2008, 5:10 PM
You think Darko would waste his money on purchasing the land, hiring an architect, create renderings, re-create renderings, develop a blueprint, pay for demolition to simply stop and forget building the Hilton Hotel?

I think not! When's the last time you heard of construction starting in the middle of winter?

RePinion
Mar 6, 2008, 5:11 PM
I do not trust Vranich. He hasn't done much of anything downtown except to sit on a bunch of properties crying out for redevelopment. Sure he was involved with the Staybridge Suites, but that isn't really much of a hotel ...

That being said, the prospect of an Intercontinental certainly is exciting. Alongside the Crown Plaza, that makes two top tier hotel chains making a move to Hamilton (I don't count the Hilton, since it's just a suburban "Homewood Suites" and not a real city hotel).

DC83
Mar 6, 2008, 5:12 PM
Word is that HMP is on track for groundbreaking after the thaw since it is more expensive (and sometimes not possible) to start under heavy snowfall ;-)

Well according to Dave Phillips @ Environment Canada, we're expecting 6 more weeks of Winter Weather :s
So I guess that means the original March start-date will be pushed to mid-April?

RePinion
Mar 6, 2008, 5:13 PM
Construction does start sometimes in the winter. It happens in Toronto with some condo projects, but you're right - it's more expensive and often not even possible when we've had as cold a winter as this.

coalminecanary
Mar 6, 2008, 5:14 PM
I think not! When's the last time you heard of construction starting in the middle of winter?
Well, queen victoria school for one.

I'm not saying HMP won't be developed, I'm just saying it makes me nervous when they announce such grand plans and then tear the building down and it becomes parking within a week. I still have faith. But you ahve to admit there are a lot of stalled projects right now, and the vranichs('s'?) are behind more than a couple of them ;)

SteelTown
Mar 6, 2008, 5:18 PM
^ Did that require digging layers and layers of soil? If so didn't that start before the winter?

With the Engineering building at McMaster they started the digging before winter.

With the Intercontinental Hotel, I believe it's slated to have 240ish rooms. Which is quite a lot of hotel rooms. Probably a couple of storey.

coalminecanary
Mar 6, 2008, 5:27 PM
No it was really weird... Winter came and I assumed that they would not start til spring and that the school would be a year late. Then all of a sudden after months of nothing, they were digging (sometime in december or maybe even january I can't remember). They only got the foundation poured in the last month or so.

Meanwhile they are still not going to reach the September target so they are slated to open now next January and a bunch of kids will switch schools halfway through the year. So in my opinion the extra cost of winter construction is going to end up a complete waste of time and money.

My prediction is they don't actually end up opening til september 2009.

DC83
Mar 6, 2008, 5:29 PM
No it was really weird... Winter came and I assumed that they would not start til spring and that the school would be a year late. Then all of a sudden after months of nothing, they were digging (sometime in december or maybe even january I can't remember). They only got the foundation poured in the last month or so.

Meanwhile they are still not going to reach the September target so they are slated to open now next January and a bunch of kids will switch schools halfway through the year. So in my opinion the extra cost of winter construction is going to end up a complete waste of time and money.

My prediction is they don't actually end up opening til september 2009.

I think they started construction so abruptly b/c the locals (incl. myself) were using this great wide open field as a perfectly smooth outdoor ice rink!

Then out of the blue (like you said), they dug & filled the foundation.

RePinion
Mar 6, 2008, 5:55 PM
Crowne Plaza has some pics up supposedly of the Hamilton hotel.

Here is one of the lobby:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/hotelmedia/repository/hotelimages/YHMCP/WELCM_LBBY_01_E.jpg

Can anyone confirm if this actually is the Hamilton location? If so this is a bit disappointing and quite below the standards of other Crowne Plazas. That drop ceiling looks cheap. However, it is still better than the Ramada I guess ...

matt602
Mar 6, 2008, 6:02 PM
The ceiling is the only thing there that looks cheap to me. The rest looks fine.

markbarbera
Mar 6, 2008, 6:08 PM
Hamilton Days Inn website is up, but only displays 'Under Construction' message currently.

http://www.hamiltondaysinn.com/index.html

I was hoping to see a rendering so we could get an idea of how the rotunda will be refinished...

SteelTown
Mar 6, 2008, 6:11 PM
Hamilton's Crowne Plaza website

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/yhmcp?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/cp/1/en/hotelsearchresults

FairHamilton
Mar 6, 2008, 7:06 PM
Very nice, and I love how all 199 rooms will be non-smoking.

chris k
Mar 6, 2008, 9:00 PM
I was in the Crowne Plaza just over a month ago and remember them working on the third floor. Not sure if they are working their way up from there or down but scheduled to be complete i think tis June.
Looks great so far, i just wish they had made the lobby bigger and maybe incorporated like a lobby piano bar sort of idea.

RePinion
Mar 6, 2008, 9:14 PM
Lobby bar would have been nice. Hopefully we'll see one with the Connaught, as discussed by Stinson.

Is there a restaurant planned for the Crowne?

FairHamilton
Mar 6, 2008, 9:34 PM
The site lists a cocktail lounge, so hopefully it's open and incorporated into/adjacent to the lobby. It also lists a restaurant, Amore's Restaurant (that name isn't the greatest), which will be adjacent to the lobby.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/YHMCP/dining

raisethehammer
Mar 6, 2008, 11:40 PM
I was told that the hotel on the south side of Main would be 14 stories. i'll try to verify now that it's moving ahead.
Crowne Plaza looks great....too bad they can't bring some magic to the outside. haha.

fastcarsfreedom
Mar 7, 2008, 12:48 AM
The Crowne Plaza lobby looks fantastic--you really have to consider the constraints they were working within--the place never had a "grand" lobby--but was designed a style typical of the bunkers Holiday Inn built in the 1960s--the ceiling was--and always will be--low--but they've worked wonders with the interior.

Interesting that InterContinental is rumored to be the brand for Main/Bay. InterContinental and Crowne Plaza are both parts of the InterContiental Hotel Group (along with Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, etc)--IC is the top tier brand, Crowne Plaza is one rung down. As a company they seem very keen on signing up properties in Hamilton.

As for the non-smoking trend, it's a growing one. Marriott is completely non-smoking at all of it's properties in North America.

Also interesting (but not surprising) news about the Sheraton. Starwood really isn't in the real estate business anymore (no hotel chains are thesedays), and I'm sure they've been sitting back and waiting for the right offer. It will be interesting to see if it stays as a Starwood branded property or not.

RePinion
Mar 7, 2008, 1:34 AM
The Crowne Plaza lobby looks fantastic--you really have to consider the constraints they were working within--the place never had a "grand" lobby--but was designed a style typical of the bunkers Holiday Inn built in the 1960s--the ceiling was--and always will be--low--but they've worked wonders with the interior.

I don't know about "fantastic". It certainly looks better than what was there before, but it's also vaguely reminiscent of a model home in a slightly upscale suburban development. That chintzy little glass-fronted gas fireplace could have been done much better. As for the ceiling, it's not so much the height that I find objectionable but the cheap styro paneling ... if I may be excused for expecting higher standards than what we've been used to for the last few decades in this city.

Agreed, though, that the space they had to work with was not exactly conducive to stunning interior design.

chris k
Mar 7, 2008, 2:09 PM
I like the floors but i agree it could have been better if they had something better to work with. I should hope they can do better with new buildings and connaught because they have some maneuverablitly and more to work with. I would take ugrade to corwne plaza over knocking it down and turning it into a parking lot.

raisethehammer
Mar 7, 2008, 6:30 PM
yea, considering how crummy that old Holiday Inn/ Ramada was, I admit to being shocked when I walked in there a few months ago. they've really done a great job. That entire complex feels so much nicer now...the shopping concourse in Terminal Towers has been reno'd wonderfully and has a great cafe.

Interesting news about the Sheraton...we'll see. How about building on some of your other lots though before gutting a perfectly fine hotel.

DC83
Mar 9, 2008, 4:53 PM
Do you think that once the Sheraton is bought and reno'd, they'll end up either a) tearing down the over-pass, or b) reno it as well?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/DC_83/DSC01915.jpg

I believe initially, the city wanted to reno it. (http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/641C6C78-FA24-4C14-8E87-F1D3524B2375/0/pedestrianbridge.jpg) ... but does the city own it, or does the Sheraton?

SteelTown
Mar 9, 2008, 5:00 PM
They'll definitely want to keep the overpass up once School Board land is re-developed. More hotel space will mean more chance of getting convention events and therefore the overpass will be needed.

HAMRetrofit
Mar 9, 2008, 8:39 PM
That bridge should meet the wrecking ball as soon as possible. It is really a vacuum for street life along King. I would destroy the other one on York too. There is no need for these 'plus 15' style passages anymore. There is no reason to sink a penny of municipal money into these failed ideas. Creating a healthy street life in this area should be the top priority.

LikeHamilton
Mar 9, 2008, 8:47 PM
The city owns overpass.

flar
Mar 9, 2008, 9:12 PM
The overpasses are good, I think it's fine that one can travel between so many facilities without going outside in the winter. Nice convenient access from the hotel to the convention centre, art gallery and Hamilton Place.

raisethehammer
Mar 9, 2008, 9:36 PM
yea, just one problem. The doors are always locked on the other side.

SteelTown
Mar 9, 2008, 9:48 PM
^ Exactly, the point of the overpass is to bring people from the Sheraton hotel to the Convention Centre so even renovating the overpass isn't going to suck away street life. The overpass is probably closed 90% of the time.

HAMRetrofit
Mar 9, 2008, 10:02 PM
There is no point spending X million dollars on something that is ugly and dysfunctional. Spending X million dollars to create wider and more beautiful sidewalks from McNab to Bay is something to be desired. Some fresh outdoor air for people while passing between buildings will be good for their health and vitality. It may even take them outside of the vacuum that is Hamilton's Center Block and encourage them do some exploring and consuming downtown.

fastcarsfreedom
Mar 9, 2008, 10:33 PM
There is no point spending X million dollars on something that is ugly and dysfunctional

The translation here is that there is no point spending money on anything that doesn't align with your viewpoints, that you consider dysfunctional or that you consider ugly. So what if it ultimately is beneficial to the HCC and/or Sheraton. On one hand it sucks the life out of King Street and on the other hand it's dysfunctional/failed?

The York Blvd bridge is another story--it IS ugly, and is/was a complete waste of money considering it was left with a bare/unfinished interior and never climate controlled.

HAMRetrofit
Mar 9, 2008, 11:36 PM
My point is that it offers absolutely no return on investment.

The Sheratan is not going to attract any more guests because of this pedestrian bridge. The city is not going to recover any profit from investing in it. Unless they hire a troll to charge pedestrians to cross it. I just think that it is better to loose it now than to spend money on it. Once it is gone its loss will not be missed. There are just better things to spend money on than a low use pedestrian bridge.

fastcarsfreedom
Mar 9, 2008, 11:44 PM
Indoor connectivity to a major hotel is one of the key sales points for a major convention/conference facility. Off the top of my head I can't think of a major one I've visited that isn't connected to a hotel--either below grade or above. My point is that the bridge is a greater benefit to the Convention Centre than the Sheraton--since the Convention Centre is city-owned I would argue that investing the structure gives the city-owned facility a competitive advantage--and as such--a return on investment.

hamiltonguy
Mar 9, 2008, 11:51 PM
The Bridge is extremely usefull, and when I used to go Downtown, i'd use it almost every time. While it's critical to have downtown street life, the bridge only takes cross street traffic away that would only be at street level a few minutes if that.

HAMRetrofit
Mar 10, 2008, 12:08 AM
Indoor connectivity to a major hotel is one of the key sales points for a major convention/conference facility. Off the top of my head I can't think of a major one I've visited that isn't connected to a hotel--either below grade or above. My point is that the bridge is a greater benefit to the Convention Centre than the Sheraton--since the Convention Centre is city-owned I would argue that investing the structure gives the city-owned facility a competitive advantage--and as such--a return on investment.

It think proximity to a major hotel is more important than whether or not a pedestrian bridge connects to it. If a conference space were part of the hotel and there were some type of discount for using both facilities that would be a plus. Who is the Hamilton Convention center competing against downtown? No one. Because there is a lack of competing facilities in the city the bridge creates no advantage.

I have never booked a convention facility on the basis that there was an indoor link to a hotel. I do not know anyone who has thought of this as a priority in booking a convention facility.

The only way it could be profitable is if, as I mentioned, a troll was manning it for tolls.

flar
Mar 10, 2008, 12:42 AM
It's not really a big deal, it's not meant to be profitable and it can be considered part of the Convention Centre's structure, its maintenance probably consumes a miniscule portion of the Convention Centre budget. Besides, every city I know of has walkways like this from hotels to convention centres, there's probably a reason for that. I would certainly like to have the overpass if I were staying at the Sheraton and going to a convention, I could move between the convention, restaurants and my room without having to drag my coat around.

fastcarsfreedom
Mar 10, 2008, 4:54 AM
The Convention Centre is not competiting with other venues downtown, it's competing with other venues in other cities. Again, I repeat, I cannot think of very many major convention facilities that do not offer indoor/climate controlled connectivity to at least one major hotel. If it is a matter of profitability alone--well--in that case I'm reasonably sure we'd lose 3/4 of our major artistic and cultural venues along with the bridge if that's the only determining factor.

When you book a convention--being able to say to your delegates that they can get back to their hotel come hell or highwater is a huge advantage--and frankly, Hamilton needs all the help it can get competiting for convention business.

markbarbera
Mar 10, 2008, 6:35 PM
Since the convention centre aggressively advertises its space for wedding receptions, it does indeed compete with other venues in the city. Of course, if adequate hotel space was available, it could focus on its primary market and not need to pursue this secondary business line nearly as aggressively.

As far as the overpass goes, any renovation would not be perceived as a waste of money if the overpass actually gets used. Currently it is chained closed at either end and of no use to anyone on either side of the overpass.

HAMRetrofit
Mar 10, 2008, 8:26 PM
Are people up in arms about it being closed off or does the city seem to be functioning just fine without it? I does not seem to me that it is really that vital to the convention center's venues. I mean, I have attended events at the Hamilton Convention center, stayed in the Sheraton, and have not used this bridge before. It would not be my first option for transferring between the two buildings since it connects in a fairly awkward way. For that short of a walk I will go outside with no coat if I am wearing a suit. For the ladies this would be more difficult.

fastcarsfreedom
Mar 10, 2008, 8:32 PM
I will agree that the thing ought to be open--what is it's current status--is it never open or is it still unlocked during events at the Convention Centre?

flar
Mar 10, 2008, 8:43 PM
I walked across it when I went out for my Downtown Hamilton photo tour last month :shrug:

I took this shot from it:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/segaert/downtown2008/00307.jpg

SteelTown
Mar 14, 2008, 11:29 AM
Goodbye Pompeii, hello hotels

March 14, 2008
Paul Wilson
The Hamilton Spectator

Downtown Dubai's got nothing on Hamilton. There's a tidal wave of towers coming to our core, new hotels on every corner.

A Hilton Homewood Suites, a Holiday Inn Express, two mystery hotels on the Board of Ed property, another on the Hamilton Motor Products used-car lot, a four-star Crowne Plaza emerging from the worn-out Ramada, a rebirth of the padlocked Royal Connaught.

Yes, the developers are dreaming overtime. But don't make your reservations yet.

Today, for a little perspective, we talk to three people.

The first, with no fanfare at all, is building his hotel right now.

The second really, really wants to breathe life into the carcass of the Connaught.

And the third is a man gone from Hamilton. But it was he, nearly 25 years ago, who saved the Connaught from the wreckers.

Azim Kassam and his family have been in the hotel business for years, first in Niagara Falls, then around the GTA.

Somebody from Days Inn told him Hamilton needed more hotel rooms, so Kassam came and took a look around.

He decided he would turn a former Ford dealership on Main East near Wellington into a 60-room hotel.

It would cost $5 million. He looked into financing. The usual sources weren't much help. "Questions were asked and eyebrows raised."

But he did find money at the federal government's Business Development Bank and got to work. He says his Days Inn will be welcoming guests by the end of May -- corporate clients, people attending sports tournaments or visiting family and friends.

Yes, he has seen the news of those other hotels. He hopes some actually get built. He thinks it will be good for everybody.

In 1990, somebody built a 150-room Journey's End on Catharine South. Its average occupancy dipped as low as 30 per cent. In five years, it had surrendered and was turned into a residence for Columbia College.

Kassam, however, believes he has got the timing right. "I think there's a good possibility of a turnaround ... And it's exciting news that new properties are coming. Let the games begin."

Two weeks ago, we ran a jumbo picture on the front page of the Royal Connaught, with a shiny 80-storey needle behind it, rising right to the heavens. Harry Stinson now advises us to forget that.

He explains he was pressed for time. The empty Royal Connaught was not for sale, but he offered $9.5 million for it anyway. And his $100,000 deposit was accepted.

"I was as surprised as anyone when the deal came together." He had to come up with an image fast. "I just took a picture of a building I was planning in Toronto and glued it on."

Do not, however, take this as a sign that he doesn't truly love this project. He wants to do the hotel. He wants to do the tower behind it, but the look will be much more traditional, more Hamilton.

Stinson, the maverick developer who pulled off many wins in Toronto before some big falls, has succeeded in drawing attention from the city he left behind.

Last Saturday's National Post carried a big spread called Letter From Hamilton. It showed a grimy picture of King East, the view people would see from the front door of the Hotel Harry.

"Coming to downtown Hamilton is like stumbling on Pompeii," the article said. "Everywhere are preserved stone temples, and nothing is going on."

Stinson didn't mind the coverage at all. "I went through exactly the same thing on Queen West in 1993. It was a complete wasteland. To get to our sales office (for the Candy Factory condos) you had to pass through an honour guard of pretty strange people."

He says the Connaught deal will close in the summer and people will be filling up his boutique hotel and condos by Christmas of next year.

There would be no Royal Connaught for Harry Stinson to dream about were it not for Barry Massey.

He arrived in Hamilton in the early 1980s to run the faded landmark. But a recession was making that hard. The place was going to come down. Work had started on a final 1984 New Year's Eve party, at which guests would be allowed to cart off some of their favourite furniture.

At the 11th hour, Massey found four investors to save the Connaught. But still it struggled.

Massey stayed until the end of the 1980s. Now he co-owns the successful StationPark All Suite Hotel in downtown London -- a city that has four times as many hotel rooms as Hamilton.

This city has two big problems, Massey says. First, it's too close to Toronto, which means many travellers choose to stay there, where the lights shine brighter.

Second, downtown Hamilton doesn't show well. The streets are too empty and some who do walk them are a little scary.

Massey knows about the long list of potential new hotels. "Hamilton probably has a 55 to 60 per cent occupancy now," he says. "That's not a healthy rate to have all that new product coming on at the same time. Where are the people going to come from?"

That said, he does wish Harry Stinson well. He thinks his approach is the right one.

"Every time I drive past the Connaught, it tears my heart out to see it closed," he says. "It's just dripping with heritage and memories."

SteelTown
Mar 14, 2008, 1:42 PM
Anyone know where the Holiday Inn Express suppose to go? Innovation Park?

raisethehammer
Mar 14, 2008, 2:05 PM
I think King and Queen.

SteelTown
Mar 14, 2008, 2:11 PM
I had a nice list of all the hotels that was being planned out or developed but it was in the old development thread. Guess I'll have to search for it, ugh.

SteelTown
Mar 14, 2008, 3:23 PM
Yes it's at King and Queen.

Guess I'll have to make another list of hotels. Perhaps LikeHamilton can help as he seems to have good knowledge in the hotel business in Hamilton.

SteelTown
Apr 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hotel revival takes another step with Crowne Plaza renovations

April 15, 2008
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton tourism and entertainment officials will get a sneak peek today at the new look of a downtown hotel.

The Crowne Plaza Hotel, formerly the Ramada Hotel on King Street East, is about a month away from completing a two-year, $7-million renovation.

The 22,000-square-foot Lincoln Alexander Conference Centre, which features a 400-seat theatre, is in the final stages of construction next door to the hotel, in what used to be the Odeon Cinemas. It's expected to open in July or August.

"About 60 per cent of our 216 guest rooms have been renovated, right down to the crown mouldings, the window treatments and complete renovations of the bathrooms," said hotel general manager Paul Sutton.

A hallmark of the Crowne Plaza brand is attracting meetings and conventions, he said.

"We will have three or four meeting directors on site who will be dedicated to making sure events go off without a hitch."

He said the hotel is forging partnerships with groups like Tourism Hamilton and Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc. to bring groups and events to the city.

Tourism Hamilton executive director David Adames, who is to walk through the project today, says it sends a "strong signal" about investing in downtown Hamilton.

"The east side of the downtown has fallen on hard times," he said. "The Connaught closed and the Ramada grew tired. But this is a signal of a rebound."

For years, tourism officials have warned that Hamilton desperately needs quality, modern hotel rooms to attract conventions and sporting events to the city's core.

It seems that message has been heard. There are plans to build a Hilton Homewood Suites Hotel on the former site of Hamilton Motor Products at Main Street and Bay Street. Another former car dealership at Main and Spring streets is close to opening as a Days Inn.

There are plans circulating for another five new hotels downtown, including a Holiday Inn Express at King and Queen streets, and at least two along the 403.

As well, Toronto developer Harry Stinson is pushing a plan to convert the vacant Royal Connaught into a boutique hotel and apartments and there are reports of a possible sale of the Sheraton Hotel.

SteelTown
Apr 15, 2008, 9:26 PM
Hotel Restoration Nears Finish Line

4/15/2008

Another positive step forward for Hamilton's downtown core.

The developers behind the restoration of the old Ramada Hotel have given the media a tour of what will next month become the Crowne Plaza Hamilton Hotel.

CEO Oscar Kichi says it features 216 rooms, a 400 seat ampitheatre and the Lincoln Alexander Conference Center, along with meeting rooms and banquet facilities.

Construction will be completed by July. Kichi adding that the Crowne Plaza is being positioned as a place for trade shows and conventions.

realcity
Apr 15, 2008, 9:41 PM
this is great news. A new Convention Centre -- named after a great man no less, and DOWNTOWN .... hopefully this city can stop going to Carmens for everything. Carmens sucks... it's supposed to be an elegant night out, but its in the middle of nowhere in an industrial park across from a bowling alley. Everyone who leaves Carmens parking lot driving is likely over the limit. Don't get me wrong about bowling, I love the Big Lebowski, just when I'm dressed up it never feels right walking into that shitbox Carmens.

DC83
Apr 15, 2008, 10:09 PM
^^ across from a bowling alley AND a shooting range... and just down the road from a fake lab haha What a nice place to walk around (ps: Hamilton Mountain Bowl is fun tho) haha

SteelTown
Apr 15, 2008, 10:17 PM
Video of the Crowne Plaza

http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/354863

SteelTown
Apr 15, 2008, 10:31 PM
CH showed a rendering of the exterior of Crowne Plaza, lots of gold for the entrance, that won't be finished until the fall. The restaurant, Coco I believe (Mediterranean food), suppose to open 3 weeks.

raisethehammer
Apr 15, 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm surprised they got the Crowne Plaza name with only 60% of the rooms reno'd.
Those rooms are BRUTAL! they need to spruce them all up.

SteelTown
Apr 15, 2008, 10:45 PM
I actually thought the suites looked good! Complete with a fireplace, a nice looking bathroom and topped off with flat screen tv in each room.

DC83
Apr 15, 2008, 10:50 PM
^^ I think he was talkin bout the unfinished rooms... from what I remember, the old rooms were pretty brutal.

I walked thru the Effort Square plaza (1st level, attached to the hotel) on rth's suggestion and I couldn't believe how good it looks in there, too! and there's a cafe, who knew!?

matt602
Apr 15, 2008, 10:50 PM
They look great to me.

realcity
Apr 15, 2008, 11:13 PM
Coco's seems to be standard issue with InterContinental Hotel Group....
http://www.holidayinnniagarafalls.com/

gold will look down there.

fastcarsfreedom
Apr 16, 2008, 12:02 AM
60% are finished--to the best of my knowledge all are being done--though there may be some suites that were done previously that don't need the full-scale reno and will only get new "soft" materials. The major issue with this renovation (hence the high cost) was that the bathrooms had to be replaced--they were still vintage 1960s Holiday Inn.

LikeHamilton
Apr 16, 2008, 12:29 AM
My daughter worked on the Crowne Plaza project and I got a tour last year. Each floor was to be gutted. There is new everything! New plumbing, new electrical, new drywall etc. There is nothing cheap or shabby about anything they are putting in. Every floor was to be done. They are putting an entrance from the hotel to the new convention centre.

SteelTown
Apr 16, 2008, 8:58 AM
A feather in his Crowne
The bar is raised as former Ramada gets a major makeover

April 16, 2008
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator

Hotelier Oscar Kichi unveiled what $7 million and 15 months of planning and renovations could do for his downtown Hamilton hotel yesterday.

It buys all new furniture and plasma flat screens for 216 rooms, plush carpeting and bedding, bathrooms with marble tile, raised sinks and glassed-in showers, a sleek new lobby with a stone wall and fireplace, a new restaurant and wine bar.

It also buys the less glamorous items like new plumbing, wiring, and heating and cooling systems.

The Ramada Plaza hotel on King Street East near Catharine, once tired and outdated, will be rebranded as an upscale Crowne Plaza in about a month. Standard rooms will rent for $139 a night, while five suites, some featuring Jacuzzi tubs, kitchenettes and fireplaces, will go for $249.

Sometime in June, Kichi's plan to open a conference and meeting centre next door will finally be realized. Yesterday, workers were mudding drywall amid a maze of scaffolding, pallets of wood and brick, and bags of concrete.

A former Odeon theatre will open as the Lincoln Alexander Conference Centre, featuring 33,000 square feet of convention floor space, a 400-seat lecture theatre and executive meeting rooms.

Kichi says he sought out the Crowne Plaza flag for his newest venture because the chain focuses on meeting the needs of business clients and attracting conferences.

"This city needs one-stop shopping for conferences and conventions."

The theatre's stage was extended to accommodate live shows and concerts. The space can also play movies, said Kichi.

The hotel's new restaurant, Coco's Mediterranean Restaurant and Wine Bar, will feature mixed cuisine and Ontario wines, under the direction of executive chef Sean Tweten.

Niagara-on-the-Lake designer Wendy Edwards has planned everything in the hotel and conference centre, from the public washrooms to the lobby and guest rooms.

InterContinental Hotels Group, which owns the Crowne Plaza, InterContinental, Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels, has approved every choice, from wall colours to fabrics, said Edwards.

The chain's representatives will be doing an inspection of the site in the next few days, she said.

Existing hotel amenities include an indoor pool, a full-service spa and a fitness room. A hallmark of the Crowne Plaza is its Sleep Advantage: seven layers of comfort bedding and a sleep package for guests that includes a CD with sleep tips, an eye mask, ear plugs, lavender spray and a night light.

Kichi, who built the Marriott Courtyard on Upper James and has signalled his intention to build a hotel or even two at the McMaster Innovation Park, says his downtown conference centre plan was in place five years ago. But he couldn't secure financing until Effort Trust, which owns the building, stepped in to help land the funding.

The Iranian immigrant once made a fortune selling cars but was devastated by an economic slowdown and landed in prison after turning to fraud to pay his debts. He built a new life after revitalizing a bankrupt hotel on Upper James and bought the Ramada in 1998.

"I love old buildings and to bring something alive that is old," said Kichi. "This shows that you can do something great in the downtown."

Kichi has no shortage of ideas. He's dreamt of being part of a consortium that could save the storied Royal Connaught and he had visions of bringing an ambitious harbourfront development to Hamilton, including the Canadian Music Hall of Fame.

Duncan Gillespie, CEO of Hamilton Entertainment and Conference Facilities Inc., was clearly impressed by Kichi's project yesterday.

"What I see today is extremely encouraging. This raised the bar for existing and new hotels to meet and exceed the standard Oscar has set here with this one."

Gillespie hopes the hotel's revitalization triggers some momentum that can help the city land important events. For instance, he said HECFI has been courting the Canadian Country Music Association awards for a number of years.

"The stumbling block all along has been the lack of hotel rooms."

SteelTown
Apr 16, 2008, 8:58 AM
http://media.hamiltonspectator.com/images/b7/3a/7c23df104a1bb07170a84fc286e1.jpeg

http://media.hamiltonspectator.com/images/2a/d4/73d4c0694800a6e148b8d1488a23.jpeg

SteelTown
Apr 16, 2008, 9:07 AM
Hamilton hotel will offer high-speed Internet in all 216 of its rooms

April 16, 2008
Hamilton Spectator Staff

Hamilton's Crowne Plaza hotel will be among just eight in Canada, including a newly opened site in Niagara Falls. (A ninth location is slated to open in Calgary next year.)

There are 299 Crowne Plaza hotels in 52 countries.

Crowne Plaza hotels are owned by Intercontinental Hotels Group, a United Kingdom-based company that also owns the InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites and Hotel Indigo brands.

Crowne Plaza hotels focus on hosting meetings and conferences, employing dedicated meeting directors at each site, "quiet zone" floors, same-day dry cleaning services and executive floors with business lounge areas and free evening cocktails.

The Hamilton hotel will offer 24-hour room service, a large work desk and high-speed Internet in each of its 216 rooms.

SteelTown
Apr 16, 2008, 9:09 AM
Across from the old federal building on Main is where InterContinental Hotel is supposed to be built (range of 200 rooms I believe), this year residential loan program will probably request money.

Westin Hotel is rumoured for those two hotels on the School Boards property.

the dude
Apr 16, 2008, 9:27 AM
^cool. the interior is a big step-up. i only wish the exterior was to receive the same treatment.

Hammer Native
Apr 17, 2008, 1:22 AM
I think King and Queen.

There is a property at King and Queen formerly known as Mount St. Joseph. It was owned by the Sisters of St. Joseph. They have sold off some surplus properties around the city that were used as convents. Their main convent is on the southwest corner of Highways 6 & 403. (That's the beautiful building with the tower on top.) Quite a lot of the building was empty, so most of them moved back there. I'm pretty sure I read the Vranichs bought the Mt. St. Joseph property. Hard to imagine these guys doing business with nuns. I'm just wondering if those historic buildings will meet the same fate as HMP?

fastcarsfreedom
Apr 17, 2008, 6:48 AM
Hammer Native--King/Queen is slated to be a Holiday Inn Express last I knew.

SteelTown
May 24, 2008, 5:09 AM
Newest downtown hotel gets early retirement date

A report to city council says Hamilton’s newest downtown hotel will be converted to a retirement home.

But it also says the two-year-old Staybridge Suites on Market Street won’t close until a replacement is built on the former Hamilton Motor Products used-car lot behind the Bank of Montreal at Bay and Main streets.

Darko Vranich’s Vrancor Group and John Bukovac’s Wilshire Group converted an old postal warehouse at Market and Caroline streets into the 108-room, all-suite hotel in 2006.

Wilshire now plans to sell it to 118 Market Street Limited Partnership, in which Wilshire has an interest, according to the report. Bukovac could not be reached for comment.

Council approval is needed because the project received a $2.1–million downtown residential loan, of which $1.8 million is now outstanding.

Those loans cannot normally be assigned when a property is sold, but city staff propose to allow a transfer for 18 months, the time it’s expected to take Wilshire to build and open a new hotel at 137 Main St. W. The remaining $1.4 million would then have to be paid.

The report to council’s planning and economic development committee says the Staybridge development also received an enterprise zone realty tax incentive, which will continue because Wilshire will still be involved. The matter will be on the committee’s June 3 agenda.

SteelTown
May 24, 2008, 5:19 AM
So I guess within 18 months Hamilton will have a brand new InterContinental Hotel.

the dude
May 24, 2008, 9:21 AM
fine but what about the hilton-hmp? is that shit ever gonna go down?

DC83
May 24, 2008, 12:01 PM
^^ That's the new hotel the article is talking about.

SteelTown
May 24, 2008, 1:43 PM
^ No, that article was talking about the InterContinental, not the Hilton one.

flar
May 24, 2008, 2:01 PM
^^That's what I thought.

If Vranich can't guarantee a shovel will be in the ground by the end of the summer for the Hilton, there should be no leeway on the residential loans and he should be fined for tearing down HMP and turning it into a parking lot.

DC83
May 24, 2008, 2:38 PM
^^ If the hotel hasn't started development by end of summer, he should have his property taken away from him for lying a) to obtain a loan, b) to obtain a demo permit.

I don't get Hamilton? Why would someone purposely demo a building if they had no intention on rebuilding in it's place?

Well I'm sure happy we let this beauty of a warehouse (HMP Bldg) get torn down for yet another empty lot... can't wait til the Board of Ed across the street is also leveled, the lots will totally compliment eachother!

Who else thinks the Vranich's are getting ready to jet?

flar
May 24, 2008, 2:48 PM
I'm not sure they're gonna jet, I just see a long list of incomplete projects and so-far-empty promises.

Hilton Hotel?
Old Federal Building condos?
Lofts on Dundurn?
Concert Theatre at King and Hess?
Still not rebuilt DnV in Hess Village?
probably others I'm forgetting...

the dude
May 26, 2008, 5:13 AM
the minute you starting taking a pimp's word you're in serious trouble.

SteelTown
May 28, 2008, 11:14 PM
To house MIP visitors – the research and business community alike – construction of a hotel is set to start late in 2008 or early 2009. feasibility studies will determine if the project – with approximately 140 rooms – will be built as a traditional hotel, a longstay suites hotel, a combination of the two, or two separate projects on the same site.

Btw this is supposed to be a Marriott Hotel chain.

SteelTown
May 29, 2008, 12:54 PM
So yea the InterContinental Hotel is supposed to start construction this year. I betcha it'll probably take weeks and weeks to dig and flatted out that old used cars parking lot.

So there could be four hotels under construction in Lower Hamilton this year, InterContinental, Hilton, Days Inn and one at MIP.

raisethehammer
May 29, 2008, 1:11 PM
Staybridges is being converted to seniors apartments, and apparently one of the 2 hotels to be built at HMP used lot will be a bigger Staybridges - 10 to 14 storey range.

SteelTown
May 29, 2008, 1:53 PM
Ah that makes sense as I was surprised one would want to drop Staybridges as it's non-vacancy rate is higher than the average for Ontario. So I guess they decided to go bigger for the Staybridges chain.

fastcarsfreedom
May 29, 2008, 8:31 PM
Given that Staybridge Suites as an InterContinental Group chain--I assume all the "InterContinental" talk is in reference to what will be a new Staybridge Suites--on the HMP lot behind the Bank of Montreal.

raisethehammer
May 29, 2008, 9:32 PM
there are two hotels planned for that site...both in the 10-15 storey range.

fastcarsfreedom
May 30, 2008, 6:33 AM
Oh...ok...I'm losing track of the various hotel proposals. Presumably they would both be IC Group Hotels and would share some back-of-house functions. Marriott is leader in this concept (as potentially proposed for the MIP site)--they frequently co-locate Courtyard and Residence Inn.

Hammer Town
May 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
How many Hotel proposals are there. We need someone to do an updates construction list that used to be floating around. Maybe even just for hotels.

SteelTown
May 30, 2008, 12:51 PM
I had a list but lost it, I'll try and search for it again.

the dude
May 31, 2008, 10:22 AM
we've had a million-and-one hotel proposals recently. if more than two of those get built i'll eat my stinky gotchies.

SteelTown
Jun 12, 2008, 11:14 AM
Staybridges loan to transfer to new owner

June 12, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

A downtown hotel will hold onto a city loan while it is converted into a seniors home.

Staybridges Suites on Market Street is expected to become a retirement residence in less than two years. The city gave its owners -- Darko Vranich's Vrancor Group and John Bukovac's Wilshire Group -- a $2.1-million loan a few years ago to convert an old postal warehouse into the long-stay hotel. According to city staff, Wilshire now plans to sell the property to 118 Market Street Limited Partnership.

Council agreed last night to transfer the city's loan to the new owner on several conditions. All outstanding taxes and this year's tax payment must be paid in full. A lump-sum payment of $300,000 is also required to bring the outstanding balance owed on the loan to $1.3 million.

The loan must be paid back in 18 months.

SteelTown
Jun 12, 2008, 1:40 PM
Staybridges has stopped taking any reservations after 50 weeks. So this time next year it’ll likely close down as a Staybridges.

raisethehammer
Jun 16, 2008, 3:06 AM
as far as I know, a new Staybridges will be built at the HMP used lot. 10-15 stories. They plan on opening that hotel shortly after closing down the small one on Market.

chris k
Aug 9, 2008, 3:14 PM
Sheraton hotel to get $10m facelift

Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
(Aug 9, 2008)
The Sheraton Hamilton Hotel is set to undergo about $10 million in renovations after it changes hands next month.

Well-known developer Darko Vranich has confirmed his Burlington-based company, Vrancor Group, is set to close a deal to buy the hotel in mid-September.

"It's a great asset in downtown Hamilton ... and I'm excited about it," he said.

Vranich was tight-lipped about what renovations to the hotel could entail.

Rumours about the sale have been swirling for months.

Earlier this year, a union official at the Sheraton said Vrancor had signed a letter of intent to buy the 23-year-old hotel.

City council has also given its approval to moving forward with the transfer of the ground lease.

Currently, Starwood Hotels owns the hotel, which stands 17 storeys and has 299 rooms.

The company did not respond to a request for comment yesterday.

Downtown councillor Bob Bratina said the project, and the renovations that will come with it, will mean a lot for the core.

"It does show that the hotel business is viable in Hamilton," he said.

The project is the latest in a series of developments, including another project by Vranich.

Bratina said plans to develop the former HMP site at Main and Bay streets are moving forward and the city has already dealt with some issues regarding the site plan.

Two questions,
is the city slowing down the hilton hotel or trying to speed up a sleeping Vranich?
and would the Sheraton remain under the Sheraton name after is changed hands becuase it is no longer under starwood?

raisethehammer
Aug 9, 2008, 3:51 PM
I'm not enthused about this.
Darko seems to be buying up property all over downtown and doing jack squat with them.
Just focus on a couple and get something done.

markbarbera
Aug 9, 2008, 4:13 PM
Chris I would guess it's a little of both on the Hilton site at Main and Bay. It reads as though site plans are being exchanged between the city and Vrancor as they work towards a plan that can go to council for approval. This can really slow down the process of getting the shovel in the ground, and an empty lot leaves the impression that nothing is being done. But preparing a proper site plan takes a lot of time (and money).

As far as the Sheraton deal goes, the name will probably stay as Starwood sells the Sheraton brand as a franchise. About 40% of Sheraton locations are franchised.

SteelTown
Aug 9, 2008, 4:19 PM
Remember Darko buying the Sherton comes with a lot of stings......the employees are part of a UNION. Therefore Darko just can't sit around he'll be forced to set timelines. If Darkso says $10 million renovation than the union will expect the $10 million renovation.

I hope the exterior and the dining second floor area gets a makeover.

adam
Aug 9, 2008, 4:37 PM
Its cheaper to tear a building down and sit on a parking lot for a few years than pay the property tax associated with an empty building. That's why he tore down the building without plans to build right away.

raisethehammer
Aug 9, 2008, 5:21 PM
Remember Darko buying the Sherton comes with a lot of stings......the employees are part of a UNION. Therefore Darko just can't sit around he'll be forced to set timelines. If Darkso says $10 million renovation than the union will expect the $10 million renovation.

I hope the exterior and the dining second floor area gets a makeover.

I'd like to see their cafe moved to the King St frontage instead of those lame windows with advertising.
They could have a small patio on King too.
And yes, the second floor dining area...TONS of potential there...perhaps sliding glass windows that can open up to the street and a trendier interior.