PDA

View Full Version : Rogge heaps praise on Vancouver; expresses concern over Beijing air

SpongeG
Feb 28, 2008, 7:13 AM
Rogge heaps praise on Vancouver; expresses concern over Beijing air

http://media.canada.com/8975269b-0529-4353-a446-596d133824d2/SUN0227%20Rogge%20%201.jpg?size=l
CREDIT: Ian Smith/Vancouver Sun
International Olympic Committee president Dr. Jacques Rogge speaks as part of the RBC Legacies Now Speaker Series.

VANCOUVER -- International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge heaped praise on the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games today for its legacy programs, but raised concerns about the continuing problem of pollution facing athletes at the 2008 Beijing Games.

In an address to the Vancouver Board of Trade about the lasting legacies of Olympic cities, Rogge said the Chinese government was clearly trying to clean up the Beijing and by Games time will have taken 1.3 million cars off the road. But he said Beijing's famously polluted air will still be a problem.

"I cannot hide the fact that there is today a danger of atmospheric pollution in Beijing. But our Chinese friends are making tremendous efforts to reduce this," he said.

Rogge's comments come as teams heading to Beijing consider strategies for protecting athletes from the effects of pollution.

Rogge has warned in the past that high pollution levels could force the IOC to reschedule some some endurance events.

Rogge, who is in Vancouver for three days to tour Olympic venues and meet with officials, did not speak with reporters after the speech to the Vancouver Board of Trade.

There was a heavy police presence outside the Vancouver Convention and Exhibition Centre, including about 30 Vancouver police officers standing behind barricades. A mounted horse squad patrolled the street in front of the convention centre.

About 20 protesters, including members of the Anti-Poverty Coalition and a group protesting against federal Olympics Minister David Emerson, showed up and were prevented from crossing the barricades.

Rogge was introduced by Vanoc CEO Jack Poole who noted that while Vanoc and the IOC often get along, they sometimes argue over differences in the way things should be done.

Rogge, who showed up in a blue power suit and tie, drew laughs when he noted that he had not realized that today was "the first official anti-bullying day" and Vanoc CEO John Furlong had told him to wear a pink tie in remembrance.

"Unfortunately I had no pink tie with me, but I would like to contribute to this anti-bullying day by swearing solemnly that I will not bully Jack or John today," he said. "Having said so, I must admit that I am extremely relieved that there is only one such day a year."

In a speech that reviewed the legacies of recent Olympic cities, Rogge said the Games have the power to inspire people, but can't solve all of the world's problems.

He said Vancouver, with two years to go, had already created a long lasting social and economic legacy, and is at the forefront of Olympic cities that since 1994 have made environmental and social sustainability another pillar of the Olympics. He cited three examples: a sustainability management and reporting system, a "creation of a culture of transparency and openness" and "early and comprehensive attention to social legacies."

He also singled out the provincially-funded 2010 Legacies Now, which promotes programs on literacy, sport, volunteerism and recreation, saying it is the first of its kind to use the Olympics as "a catalyst for change."

The Olympic movement in recent years has moved away from building "white elephants," he said, and now wants cities that host the Games to create long-term benefits for both residents and the world at large.

He credited Lillehammer, Norway, with setting a new standard for sustainability that cities now all follow.

"Every Olympic Games since Lillehammer has taken steps to protect the environment," he said.

Vancouver has extended that to include social sustainability, he said. This is Rogge's second visit since Vancouver was awarded the Games in July, 2003. It coincides with an inspection by the IOC's Vancouver Coordination Commission.

Rogge's planned tour of Whistler sports venues was postponed because of weather. Instead, he joined members of the commission in touring the Richmond Speed Skating Oval and a hockey arena at the University of B.C. In the afternoon, he visited the Vancouver Athletes Village with Mayor Sam Sullivan, who skipped the Board of Trade luncheon.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=b0b604bf-a82a-4874-aff3-8b9ba6e2309e&k=17792