PDA

View Full Version : Council OKs HRM by Design’s vision

Jonovision
Feb 27, 2008, 7:59 PM
Developers key to Halifax downtown
Council OKs HRM by Design’s vision
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter
Wed. Feb 27 - 6:19 AM

Law amendments and private-sector investment are needed to help turn city hall’s dream of a revitalized downtown Halifax into reality, regional council heard Tuesday.

Just how much of the municipality’s 25-year plan gets done is largely dependant on the willingness of developers to spend money on their properties, council’s committee of the whole was told.

With respect to earmarking taxpayers’ dollars for downtown renewal, no one knows yet how much the ambitious project could cost the city.

"It’s at the concept stage," said Paul Dunphy, the municipality’s community development director. "We haven’t started to put any dollars to some of the (proposed) public realm investment."

Mr. Dunphy said major players in the development industry have indicated they’re prepared to finance needed property improvements, if the province agrees to regulatory changes that will make their jobs easier.

Plans for downtown’s refurbishment come from the city’s HRM by Design study, an urban renewal effort in the works for about 18 months. A 17-member task force assigned to the $405,400 project envisions a downtown that’s liveable, distinct and vibrant.

Planners want 16,000 people to move downtown within the next 15 years, councillors heard.

Among 10 goals presented at the city hall meeting include:

•New development that is pedestrian-friendly;

•Additional and improved open spaces;

•"Reinforced civic pride;"

•A downtown that is the "protected historic heart" of the city.

Another major goal is to redevelop the Cogswell interchange, which the politicians heard has been "a blight" on Halifax Regional Municipality. If all goes well, Tuesday’s meeting was told, the site could be transformed into a modern neighbourhood with buildings of varying heights.

Three recommendations hooked to the downtown plan were passed unanimously by council. They included: 1) approve HRM by Design’s "vision" for downtown renewal, 2) ask the provincial government to make legislative changes that’ll affect future private-sector developments and 3) begin planning and design work on the redevelopment of the Cogswell interchange.

Mr. Dunphy said municipal and provincial officials are currently talking about law amendments relating to urban planning.

An open house on downtown’s renaissance is to take place in April; a formal public hearing is scheduled for June. More than 5,000 people have already provided the task force with feedback, councillors were told.

The downtown proposal, which includes "great streets that support a culture of walking" and the "improved appearance and quality of existing buildings and structures," received praise from several councillors. But a couple of supporters raised the spectre of the dream fizzling out.

Coun. Andrew Younger (East Dartmouth-The Lakes), who’s in his 30s and is the youngest council member, said hopefully Halifax’s downtown will look esthetically more pleasing before too long.

"How are we going to make sure that this actually happens?" he asked. "I don’t want to come with a walker to a meeting" decades from now and see plans gathering dust.

The president of the Halifax Chamber of Commerce shares the same concern.

"It is now time to stop talking and to take action," Valerie Payn said in a release. "If we don’t embrace (the renewal scheme) with all our might, we will have wasted yet another opportunity to kick-start our great little city into the future."

( mlightstone@herald.ca)

someone123
Feb 27, 2008, 10:05 PM
Good news I guess, although nothing that council voted on was really that controversial. The big question isn't so much whether or not they want a successful downtown, it's whether or not they care enough about the core or understand its importance enough to make it a priority over comparatively minor issues like cat bylaws or local projects in each district.

Keith P.
Feb 27, 2008, 11:41 PM
More importantly, it will be necessary for both politicos and staff to realize that all the visions in the world aren't worth squat unless you have someone willing to put up the money and break ground on new developments. I am personally aware of a major project that cannot get to first base right now because of HRM's intransigence about wanting every last "t" crossed and "i" dotted on this exercise before they will even look at it. Ridiculous. I fear that HRM by Design will just be another MPS under another name that will be be just as bad in terms of actually getting anything built.

phrenic
Feb 28, 2008, 1:27 PM
Andy Fillmore for Mayor. :D

Then maybe something would get done.

Seriously though, I don't believe the current group of councilors and the mayor are really serious about this. I wish I could be less pessimistic, but I can't until I see something get done. And not just because they would rather spend their time examining laws around cats or chickens. We have a small-town mayor trying to lead a medium sized city into the future with no vision for where we should go, what we should be or even what we should do.

Keith P.
Feb 29, 2008, 1:19 AM
Andy Fillmore for Mayor. :D

Then maybe something would get done.

From what I'm told he is a big part of the problem.

Apparently the HRM by Design gurus like him have totally hamstrung any development until their magnum opus is complete. Their influence is such right now that nothing can get through them.

phrenic
Feb 29, 2008, 2:35 AM
From what I'm told he is a big part of the problem.

Apparently the HRM by Design gurus like him have totally hamstrung any development until their magnum opus is complete. Their influence is such right now that nothing can get through them.

Really? I got the opposite impression. I could be wrong of course. He did seem to be really frustrated with how the United Gulf development got the go-ahead outside of the HRMbydesign parameters. Either way, I truly hope this whole HRMbydesign thing helps move Halifax in the right direction.

someone123
Feb 29, 2008, 3:11 AM
He did seem to be really frustrated with how the United Gulf development got the go-ahead outside of the HRMbydesign parameters.

The United Gulf proposal dates to 2004 or 2003, and HRM by Design isn't even completed yet. As far as HRM by Design is concerned, the United Gulf Towers should be the same as any other existing building.

sdm
Feb 29, 2008, 1:14 PM
Really? I got the opposite impression. I could be wrong of course. He did seem to be really frustrated with how the United Gulf development got the go-ahead outside of the HRMbydesign parameters. Either way, I truly hope this whole HRMbydesign thing helps move Halifax in the right direction.

HRM design from my knowledge will not help the development in Halifax in any great way. We need to streamline development and keep heritage at bay. There are too many voices that stall developments, and the studies upon studies are just slowing down developments.

HRM by design simply is another study that will become a waste of paper its written on. You can't dictate to developers that a select few sites are for development, or can you say we want to have a vibrant streets. We don't have enough money for snow removal, where do they think the money is going to come from? Taxes are already going higher in the core, and if they continue to rise they will push business out of the core to sub’s. It’s a fine balance approach that should be taken.

Furthermore, there seems to no economic sense to HRM design. I work closely within the industry and there is no demand for 3 Purdy’s wharf complexes in the city. When Purdy’s was build in the late 80s' it took years to fill it and actually the building almost defaulted on their mortgage. By opening up Cogswell before the rest of the core is built is simply backwards.

I say, streamline the process, keep the naysayer’s at bay and lets build economically or we will all suffer in the end.

phrenic
Feb 29, 2008, 1:20 PM
The United Gulf proposal dates to 2004 or 2003, and HRM by Design isn't even completed yet. As far as HRM by Design is concerned, the United Gulf Towers should be the same as any other existing building.

Exactly - that was my point.