PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Ave. mall question

rgalston
Feb 14, 2008, 6:06 PM
I'm writing an article about pedestrian malls, particularly about the idea being peddled around that Winnipeg's Albert Street should become car-free. Typically, Stephen Avenue is mentioned to defend this idea.

I'm just wondering:
Stephen Ave. is open to cars from 6pm to 6am. Was it always like this, or did they re-open it up to cars in recent years? When did this happen? Did this have a postive or negative impact on Stephen Ave's commercial and pedestrian vibrancy?

Doug
Feb 14, 2008, 6:21 PM
It was reopened to cars between 6PM and 6AM block by block starting in 1990 as the mall was renovated. The renovations were completed in 1994. Previous to that, the mall had been completely closed to traffic since the early 1970's.

Opening the mall to cars and limited street parking coincided with the resurgance of Stephen Ave. However, other factors came into play. Prior to the redeisgn, there were planters and kiosks scattered throughout what is now the carriageway. These provided room to loiter and contributed to the crime problems that plagued the mall prior to the redeisgn. The redesign also coincided with the start of the building renovation wave that occured along Stephen Ave. Whether the building improvements would have happened without the streetscape improvements is anybody's guess. Finally several vacant lots were filled in with development (ex. Convention Center expansion, ATB Branch),the second Banker's Hall tower went in and the local economy improved, bringing more people to the area.

Stephen Avenue was actually fairly vibrant right into the mid 80's. The Oil Bust of the 80's combined with competition from indoor malls (Banker's Hall, Eaton Center) downtown contributed as much to Stephen Ave's decline at the time as its poor design.

MalcolmTucker
Feb 14, 2008, 6:28 PM
It was positive, Calgary has free parking after six pm so it gave people the perceived availability of parking. Also, when the street is active the speed of the cars probably doesn't top 30 km/h. The street only has one lane open to one way traffic, and is paved in concrete pressed to look like stone so that the street feels different to drivers to act as a mental deterrent to excessive speed.

This excerpt from a Calgary Herald article can fill in some blanks:

After the Stephen Avenue Mall was first instituted as an exclusive "pedestrian corridor" along 8th Avenue, it quickly became a no-man's land of closed retail stores, questionable and undesirable street activity, as well as a highly unsafe environment, particularly at night. In the late 1980s, I was a member of the Calgary planning commission. I had the temerity then to suggest that a great variety of European examples indicated that control of traffic at certain times of the day, coupled with full vehicular access at other times, provided retail exposure and related viability, as well as an enhanced level of personal comfort and security through more "eyes on the street" passing through. All this, while also maintaining a great opportunity for strolling when the pedestrian density needed that.

At the time, I was castigated for suggesting an idea that was not consistent with the intent of the downtown plan's call for a "pedestrian mall." Fortunately, somewhere along the way traffic did get remixed into the arrangement and the mall has become a successful people place. The key point of this example is that sometimes well-intentioned policies don't work very well, and benefit from rethinking and more balanced solutions.

The mall was switched over from full pedestrian mall to the hybrid european model in either 1989 or 1990. To show how bad a place Calgary's downtown was then, Mayor Klein's main defence for keeping cars off of 8th was to make sure prostitution did not return to the main strip.

Ald. Duerr who later became Mayor was the champion of the hybrid pedestrian mall.

But Klein said the new festival market, Barclay Mall, Chinatown and new projects under construction will help attract people downtown - not traffic on the mall.

"You want to create an environment where people can walk around and sit down, and have a coffee and have a beer. The last thing we need is cars with exhaust fumes, cigarette butts and all the other things associated with traffic."

Klein said there's a risk the the introduction of traffic could lead to prostitution.

"It will provide an opportunity for activities related to motorvehicle solicitation," he said.

The plan called for one westbound lane of vehicular traffic between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., sidewalk cafes, a 1912 heritage theme and a central square.

I think the lessons from Calgary beyond the obvious ones up above are that you should start with a small strip and as it becomes successful you can expand it. Also, it is more important to have it in your central business district than on a currently successful retail strip (even if Europe tells us that already).

rgalston
Feb 14, 2008, 7:36 PM
Thanks, guys. This helps greatly.

Do you know the name of the author of that piece in the Herald?

MalcolmTucker
Feb 14, 2008, 7:53 PM
Just search 'calgary stephen avenue traffic' in Canadian Newsstand or Lexis Nexis.

In any case, here is the full article:

Planner promotes big ideas for city's downtown engine; [Final Edition]
Peter Burgener. Calgary Herald. Calgary, Alta.: Feb 23, 2006. pg. B.6
Abstract (Summary)
Brent Toderian is the manager of city centre planning and design for the City of Calgary. In addition to his capacity as one of the senior planners, he is also carrying out multiple presentations, one of which I attended last week. His primary message relates to an overview of a focused planning process, a process to provide a framework that will shape the direction for development of the central core of the city.

It's an ambitious undertaking and, by his own account, long overdue. Though there have been a variety of planning studies carried out and policies defined over the period, the last time an overall downtown plan was put together was 40 years ago. Toderian is quick to note that that plan contained a number of key elements that have been important in creating the increasingly desirable environment that has evolved over the years. He points out the old plan specifically envisaged high-density residential development in the downtown, a transit-oriented street -- which 7th Avenue has become -- and a pedestrian mall. Fair enough -- two out of three's not bad. (Anyone who has read this column on other occasions might know that I think that the LRT on 7th Avenue is hopelessly wrong -- it's a single-minded transportation solution -- that simply does not work effectively as a holistic city-building solution!)

Photo: Calgary Herald Archive / Brent Toderian stresses collaboration in plans to enhance downtown.

ยป Jump to indexing (document details)
Full Text (845 words)
(Copyright Calgary Herald 2006)

Brent Toderian is the manager of city centre planning and design for the City of Calgary. In addition to his capacity as one of the senior planners, he is also carrying out multiple presentations, one of which I attended last week. His primary message relates to an overview of a focused planning process, a process to provide a framework that will shape the direction for development of the central core of the city.

It's an ambitious undertaking and, by his own account, long overdue. Though there have been a variety of planning studies carried out and policies defined over the period, the last time an overall downtown plan was put together was 40 years ago. Toderian is quick to note that that plan contained a number of key elements that have been important in creating the increasingly desirable environment that has evolved over the years. He points out the old plan specifically envisaged high-density residential development in the downtown, a transit-oriented street -- which 7th Avenue has become -- and a pedestrian mall. Fair enough -- two out of three's not bad. (Anyone who has read this column on other occasions might know that I think that the LRT on 7th Avenue is hopelessly wrong -- it's a single-minded transportation solution -- that simply does not work effectively as a holistic city-building solution!)

Experience suggests that single-focus, simplistic planning solutions often fail from other points of view. Another element referenced in the 40-year-old plan provides an example: The pedestrian mall.

After the Stephen Avenue Mall was first instituted as an exclusive "pedestrian corridor" along 8th Avenue, it quickly became a no-man's land of closed retail stores, questionable and undesirable street activity, as well as a highly unsafe environment, particularly at night. In the late 1980s, I was a member of the Calgary planning commission. I had the temerity then to suggest that a great variety of European examples indicated that control of traffic at certain times of the day, coupled with full vehicular access at other times, provided retail exposure and related viability, as well as an enhanced level of personal comfort and security through more "eyes on the street" passing through. All this, while also maintaining a great opportunity for strolling when the pedestrian density needed that.

At the time, I was castigated for suggesting an idea that was not consistent with the intent of the downtown plan's call for a "pedestrian mall." Fortunately, somewhere along the way traffic did get remixed into the arrangement and the mall has become a successful people place. The key point of this example is that sometimes well-intentioned policies don't work very well, and benefit from rethinking and more balanced solutions.

Toderian articulates a perspective that embraces that notion. He cites three fundamental words that underline the planning process he is leading: creative, flexible and collaborative. He stresses the city's ability and willingness to take risks and to be open to new approaches. "We don't want a rule to stand in the way of a better idea," he says.

That is a welcome and refreshing message. Particularly as our positive economy drives both opportunity and requirement for the continued enhancement of the central core of the city.

"If Calgary is the city of energy," says Toderian, "the downtown is the engine of energy for the city."

He suggests several "big ideas" for downtown enhancement that are percolating within the draft plan:

- An underpinning of listening to what makes people want to live and work here;

- Creating incentives to ensure that every street in the downtown is interesting for pedestrians on a 24/7 basis;

- Calling for funding by council of the public realm on a continuous basis;

- A revised "bonus" system that will encourage development to achieve enhancements to the public environment;

- An enlivening of the role of arts and culture, both physically and in terms of programming;

- Encouragement and recognition of environmentally responsible and sustainable development;

- Maintenance of what is left of the city's physical heritage; and

- A transit and downtown parking "imperative."

The policy direction being formulated on the last point has not found traction with the downtown retailers, corporate employers, the development industry or the Calgary Downtown Association. But it's one point among nine other positive initiatives.

There is a lot to like in most of the draft plan direction, and a lot of things happening in this city that can bring implementation and life to ideas and policies. Still, the intensity of activity brings a concern about timing and process. Not everyone shares Toderian's view that "I am OK with approvals processing taking however long it takes to achieve great solutions."

Toderian's key word of "collaboration" -- by all participants -- will be the essential ingredient for achievement of those great results.

Peter Burgener, senior partner of BKDI Architects in Calgary, is an award-winning architect and a fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.

He can be reached by e-mail at pgb@bkdi.com

Arch26
Feb 14, 2008, 7:59 PM
I'm writing an article about pedestrian malls, particularly about the idea being peddled around that Winnipeg's Albert Street should become car-free. Typically, Stephen Avenue is mentioned to defend this idea.

I'm just wondering:
Stephen Ave. is open to cars from 6pm to 6am. Was it always like this, or did they re-open it up to cars in recent years? When did this happen? Did this have a postive or negative impact on Stephen Ave's commercial and pedestrian vibrancy?

Have you looked at Granville mall in Vancouver? I assume you have. It was open to buses and taxis only prior to being closed for Canada Line construction. They are now talking about reintroducing cars to it after construction is complete, citing a significant loss in vibrancy throughout the affected blocks following the removal of personal vehicles.

Calalb
Feb 15, 2008, 8:05 AM
This photo was recently submitted by 1ajs in the Calgary Construction Thread showing how the mall looked in 1975.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/cgyboomer/sa75.jpg

1ajs
Feb 15, 2008, 10:37 AM
looking the other direction
http://cac.mcgill.ca/cac/bland/building/pictures/full/2-09.jpg
btw this is were i got the images from... http://cac.mcgill.ca/bland/building/searchbland.php?Title=&Architect=&Start_date=0&End_date=9999&Provincelist%5B%5D=AB&City1=Calgary&City=&Version=English&PageNumber=1&submit=Search+now%21

ScottFromCalgary
Feb 16, 2008, 3:21 AM
I like having a few cars allowed on Stephen Ave at night because there simply isn't that many people walking around and it adds to the street. As has been said before, the cars are going very slow. It also allows taxis to come down and pick people up right in front of whatever restaurant/bar.

Just Build It
Feb 19, 2008, 1:33 AM

I'm just wondering:

I think it's been a positive asset to Calgary, so I hope Winnipeg does the same.

Is Albert Street in the Exchange district? If so, Winnipeg should definitely do it, it would be a great location.

rapid_business
Feb 19, 2008, 9:30 PM
Make sure to also check out Spark Street in Ottawa.

Personally, I have trouble with the idea. Motor-vehicle movement adds to the sense of vitality of a street, and in downtowns with low residential populations, this can be trouble. It's a gamble from a store-owners perspective who may see a boost in sales as the novelty is fresh, but the evening hours is where business tend to suffer as sales and vitality are often directed by traffic patterns.

It can work, but the pictures posted above show how dismal it can be otherwise.

Boris2k7
Feb 19, 2008, 10:26 PM
Honestly, I think Spark Street isn't as nice as Stephen Ave. That's a personal judgement based on aesthetic qualities, mind you.

Wooster
Feb 19, 2008, 10:32 PM
Sparks Street, by most accounts isn't all that successful. It is much like Stephen Avenue was during the mid-90s.

However, Stephen Ave does provide a model for how it can work, particulary if it is properly managed and programmed.

Here are some of my pics of what Stephen Ave has become.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/July%202005/IMG_0130.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/July%202005/IMG_0135.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/July%202005/IMG_0148.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/July%202005/IMG_0131.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/picture92.jpg

rapid_business
Feb 19, 2008, 11:12 PM
Nice pics. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, and think it's great in the summer and the day time. The problem is that a picture at 7pm on a Tuesday in January paints a different picture.

Surrealplaces
Feb 19, 2008, 11:32 PM
Make sure to also check out Spark Street in Ottawa.

Personally, I have trouble with the idea. Motor-vehicle movement adds to the sense of vitality of a street, and in downtowns with low residential populations, this can be trouble. It's a gamble from a store-owners perspective who may see a boost in sales as the novelty is fresh, but the evening hours is where business tend to suffer as sales and vitality are often directed by traffic patterns.

It can work, but the pictures posted above show how dismal it can be otherwise.

That was the case when Stephen Ave was only a pedestrian mall. Making it into a hybrid seems to have really paid off. During the day, even in the dead of winter, Stephen ave is packed with people, and in the evening is quite busy as well thanks to the vehicle traffic.

Sparks Street unfortunately is not a good example of a pedestrian mall. It's much like the way Stephen ave used to be, dead at night. Sparks street also suffers from the types of business along the mall. Lots of banks and government offices.

Surrealplaces
Feb 19, 2008, 11:33 PM
Nice pics. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, and think it's great in the summer and the day time. The problem is that a picture at 7pm on a Tuesday in January paints a different picture.

Actually it is often quite busy at night, even in January...providing it's not -30C of course. In the summer it's always busy in the evenings. Many of the restaurants are high end restaurants and don't generate the foot traffic of cafes or ice cream shops etc..but it still does pretty well, and seems to be still evolving.

MalcolmTucker
Feb 20, 2008, 8:37 PM
Some Photos of the Ave this morning
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1450/11skp02202008mq5.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7883/10skp02202008yk8.jpg
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3221/09skp02202008ww3.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8595/08skp02202008iu4.jpg