PDA

View Full Version : Junos coming to Vancouver in 2009

mr.x
Feb 13, 2008, 5:39 AM
How convenient too....with CTV as broadcaster of both the Junos and the 2010 Games.

Junos coming to Vancouver in 2009

Leah Collins
canada.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

There's still a couple months to go before Feist, Avril, Anne Murray and more descend on Calgary for the 2008 Juno Awards, but organizers are already starting the hype for 2009. Today, the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences announced the Juno wagon will keep rolling westward next year, with the 2009 gala to take place in Vancouver on March 29, 2009.

Said CARAS president Melanie Berry in a statement: "A city well known for its diversity, inclusiveness and cultural heritage, Vancouver is a natural fit to host Canada’s music awards show."

Van City has hosted the Junos twice before. Back in '91, Vancouver nabbed the honour of being the first city outside of Toronto to host the gong-fest, and Paul Shaffer came in to emcee the gala.

This will be the first time the west coast city will be taken over by the Junos since the music awards became a travelling event. Since 2002, Juno festivities have landed in St. John’s, Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax and Saskatoon. As in past years, Vancouver will not only host the Juno awards ceremony but also a four-day weekend worth of events including the Juno Cup, Juno Fan Fare and the Songwriters' Circle.

This year's Juno Awards broadcast, live from Calgary, takes place April 6.

And of course, it'll be at GM Place.

excel
Feb 13, 2008, 7:44 AM
nice!

Yume-sama
Feb 13, 2008, 7:24 PM
The Junos are like The Grammy's special Olympics.

Haven't watched it in years :yuck:

Good for the city, though. :)

excel
Feb 13, 2008, 8:19 PM
^yea i don't think i have ever watched them either, let alone the Grammy's. But as you said "good for the city"

Overground
Feb 14, 2008, 3:29 AM
How do they seat celebs at the Junos now? If I remember from before they had them sitting on what looked like conventional folding chairs.

Yume-sama
Feb 14, 2008, 3:43 AM
How do they seat celebs at the Junos now? If I remember from before they had them sitting on what looked like conventional folding chairs.

Oh, to save costs they have to stand now. :P