PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia's Greatest Olympic Legacy?

Rusty Gull
Feb 13, 2008, 5:33 AM
It's interesting to note that some of the most significant architectural and engineering legacies coming out of the build-up to the Winter Olympics Games (ie, venues and/or related projects) are outside of the "named" host city of Vancouver.

The truly stunning "icons" -- the Richmond Skating Oval and the Peak to Peak Gondala -- are in Richmond and Whistler, respectively.

A retractable roof for BC Place Stadium would have been an iconic development for the City of Vancouver, but this appears to not be the case (given recent discussions on SSP showing that a mere replacement of the existing roof is in the cards).

So what will be the stand-out jewel from the building run-up to these Olympics Games?

deasine
Feb 13, 2008, 5:45 AM
where's the choice: I LIKE ALL OF THEM

canucks23
Feb 13, 2008, 5:58 AM
I think the Canada Line should be added in there. The Canada line is probably my favorite! But in terms of impacting down town, I voted the convention center.

bils
Feb 13, 2008, 6:40 AM
seems to me that the canada line & convention centre woulda/coulda been built regardless of whether we had olympics or not

canucks23
Feb 13, 2008, 6:48 AM
^
Ya thats true, I was just thinking the same thing before. Although, without the Olympics, do you think they would have considered going ahead with the Canada line, or any other plans like that?

zivan56
Feb 13, 2008, 6:50 AM
Probably would have been bumped back in terms of the timeline. The line (or a variation of it) was proposed ages ago. Wasn't the Evergreen Line originally supposed to be built before originally...?

bils
Feb 13, 2008, 6:53 AM
yah the canada line would've been built eventually anyways.

i'd say the olympic village will turn into our greatest legacy, especially with all the new development it will bring to the area in the next decade.