PDA

View Full Version : Put the main branch of the library in a mall!

adam-machiavelli
Feb 12, 2008, 6:15 PM
Has anyone seen the 2 letters in the Ottawa Citizen saying that the main branch of the library should relocate to some mall or big-box centre in the far flung suburbs? They are calling it a 'revolutionary' idea! I laughed really hard when i read it. Then I threw up a bit when I realized they were being serious. Then I cried when I realized this is part of the mediocratic malaise perverting the minds of people in this city and therefore A LOT of people probably think this is a good idea!

Mille Sabords
Feb 13, 2008, 4:51 PM
Has anyone seen the 2 letters in the Ottawa Citizen saying that the main branch of the library should relocate to some mall or big-box centre in the far flung suburbs? They are calling it a 'revolutionary' idea! I laughed really hard when i read it. Then I threw up a bit when I realized they were being serious. Then I cried when I realized this is part of the mediocratic malaise perverting the minds of people in this city and therefore A LOT of people probably think this is a good idea!

I missed that, but I'm going to try and find those letters. It never ceases to baffle me what some people can come up with. :koko:

What do you think is the best response to that type of "suggestion"? A letter with a vigorous counter-argument, or just ignore them and hope they just go away quietly?

adam-machiavelli
Feb 13, 2008, 6:06 PM
You should confront them or else their stupidity will fester. If they offer a rebuttal, it'll probably read even stupider than their original letter.

clynnog
Feb 13, 2008, 6:13 PM
Has anyone seen the 2 letters in the Ottawa Citizen saying that the main branch of the library should relocate to some mall or big-box centre in the far flung suburbs?

Is there still a library branch in the Emerald Plaza on Merivale...east side near where there is a Staples etc.

Ottawade
Feb 13, 2008, 8:30 PM
We should slowly start rolling downtown lifestyle enhancements out to the suburband mega-malls..... starting with parking meters :D

citizen j
Feb 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
^Hear! Hear!!
Imagine the impact of applying the downtown meter rate to all suburban retail parking lots. It would certainly boost transit use. Okay, yes, I'm dreaming.

m0nkyman
Feb 16, 2008, 3:09 AM
They can have a library in a mall.... but they need to take a needle exchange as well... ;)

Jamaican-Phoenix
Feb 16, 2008, 3:36 AM
In exchange for putting the main library in a mall, we should meter the crap out of the suburbs...Fair trade, I say... :P

movebyleap
Feb 17, 2008, 4:26 AM
Cool! Husbands can check out the libraries & read sports mags while their wives shop! LOL!