PDA

View Full Version : noobs at SSC - WE NEED HELP

deasine
Feb 8, 2008, 3:44 AM
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=18247438#post18247438

We need SFU Vancouver or officedweller to help us with these guys... i'm going to explode soon.

agrant
Feb 8, 2008, 4:02 AM
:previous: The discussion on Gateway? Either you like the car, or you don't. That's the way that thread goes.

deasine
Feb 8, 2008, 4:10 AM
The guy there is like DISSING transit users and making unnecessary suggestions such as twinning the Massey, etc I would prefer someone suggest twinning the Expo Line or something ><"

Rusty Gull
Feb 8, 2008, 4:18 AM
I think for all forumers on SSP or SSC, the word "Gateway" is the white elephant in the room. It's like bringing up the subjects of money or religion or politics at a family dinner. It always ends ugly.

deasine
Feb 8, 2008, 4:29 AM
It is ugly already. I can see that mr. x is just like these guys are hopeless...

cc85
Feb 8, 2008, 4:30 AM
tricks are for kids.

officedweller
Feb 8, 2008, 9:16 AM
I tend to stay away from the Gateway threads a bit as they seem to be highly polarized.

I think that a balanced approach of both highways and transit is required (and doesn't necessarily mean co-locating them or spending exacting the same amounts of money on them or spending at the same time).

I think that the TCH and Port Mann are long overdue to be upgraded to maintain a "basic" level of highway infrastructure (this is not advocating unrestricted highway growth). I have no problem with tolling it - even a distance based toll (although the actual scheme will be a bridge toll). I think the reality is that certain transportation needs cannot be adequately met by transit - i.e. cross commuting, errands that require cargo haulage (transporting a soccer team or taking a family grocery shopping).

I don't side with the urbanist transit [zealots] who shun anyone who lives in the suburbs. i.e. I'm sure that car usage among single family households on the west side of Vancouver is just as high as it is in the suburbs, despite the west siders having more convenient access to transit (no evidence, just observations). Transit usage (at least in Vancouver) is closely tied (inversely) to social status and affluence.
Then there's the debates on how transit is implemented and the politicization of who gets priority over others. i.e. There's the typical issue of do you serve existing demand or shape development growth? Do you create a small timesavings for many passengers who already have transit access, but a degrading quality of service (replace the B-Line), or a large time savings for fewer passengers who do not have access to practical rapid transit (commuter rail)?

Ultimately, there are different opinions and people are entitled to them.

i.e I was looking up something on the 407 in TO on Wiki the other day and came across this on the four stack interchange - Ontario only has one 4 stack interchange - London, UK has three of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_interchange

cornholio
Feb 8, 2008, 9:22 AM
The guy there is like DISSING transit users and making unnecessary suggestions such as twinning the Massey, etc I would prefer someone suggest twinning the Expo Line or something ><"

The massey tunnel will be twined and highway 99 expanded, this will be gateway part two. There is some info on this out there if you search hard enough.

Phil McAvity
Feb 8, 2008, 12:53 PM
I tend to stay away from the Gateway threads a bit as they seem to be highly polarized.

Oh don't be such a sissy! Get back there and :whip:

If I knew more about the issue, i'd do it myself!

By the way, can someone fix the title of this thread. It should say "SSC", not "SCC".

eigobugman
Feb 8, 2008, 1:59 PM
This is a stupid thread. People have their opinions; good or bad. Post to the appropriate threads.

deasine
Feb 9, 2008, 12:17 AM
sorry I was just madly typing down - ahem spelling errors.