PDA

View Full Version : New library delay frustrates Uteck

someone123
Feb 2, 2008, 7:03 PM
From the Daily News:

New library delay frustrates Uteck
CITY HALL Public asked for 'vision,' although funding uncertain
RACHEL MENDLESON

Library staff and international consultants will be hosting a public meeting next week to establish a vision for a new downtown central library. But one area councillor says the lack of municipal funding for the long-awaited facility should be the public's most pressing concern.

South End Coun. Sue Uteck says she was recently "very frustrated" to learn there are no immediate plans to set aside money for the project, which could cost $30 million.

"I just think that it's not a priority with senior management or the mayor, and it's not going to make capital budget again," said Uteck, who also sits on the library board.

Mayor Peter Kelly acknowledged HRM staff may have shared speculation about the allocation of funds in preliminary discussions, but with budgetary debate still several months away, he says it's premature.

"It would depend upon what the library is asking for ... If there is an ask, that will be debated and discussed throughout the budgetary process," Kelly said.

"If council wants to begin a council allocation program for the library, that is possible. And council, and only council, can make that determination."

The project, he says, will be a joint venture between all levels of government. But the cost will depend upon the public's vision, and the construction site.

Council has approved in principle the designation of the provincially owned lands at the corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen Street, and talks to negotiate a land-swap are underway.

"We need to complete that process, too, and see what will be the differential that we may have to pay, or they may have to pay us," he said.

A new downtown library has been in the works for more than a decade.

In 1997, council approved a $24-million facility to replace the deteriorating Spring Garden Road building. But after budgetary constraints put the project on hold, $5 million that had been donated for a new downtown facility was diverted to the construction of the Keshen Goodman Library.

Despite the long wait, Halifax Public Libraries CEO Judith Hare says she's looking forward to the first public meeting.

"It's really important that we do have that shared vision," Hare said. "We don't want to pre-suppose what it is that the public wants. I think that you get a better building in the end if you talk to people and you listen to people about what they want to see."

rmendleson@hfxnews.ca

Keith P.
Feb 2, 2008, 11:01 PM
This is a perfect example of Kelly's lack of leadership and why he should not be mayor of this city. Instead of saying either:

"I am of the belief that a new central library is vital to this city and I will be doing all I can to make sure it is a top budget priority", or:

" I do not believe that a new central library is of such importance that we should sacrifice other capital projects for it",

he just sits on the fence, talks about consultation and process, and does nothing to move either side of the issue forward. Ridiculous.

Kelly must go.

Haliguy
Feb 2, 2008, 11:25 PM
This is a perfect example of Kelly's lack of leadership and why he should not be mayor of this city. Instead of saying either:

"I am of the belief that a new central library is vital to this city and I will be doing all I can to make sure it is a top budget priority", or:

" I do not believe that a new central library is of such importance that we should sacrifice other capital projects for it",

he just sits on the fence, talks about consultation and process, and does nothing to move either side of the issue forward. Ridiculous.

Kelly must go.

Agreed..his got to go. I can't wait until the municipal election.

someone123
Feb 3, 2008, 12:06 AM
Yes, it's largely the lack of leadership that is the big problem. The specific issue of the library doesn't even matter that much, but it's one of half a dozen or so major projects that have been floating around for years with no real progress.

There was a similar article in the Herald today about the Cogswell interchange and Kelly went on about how it "might be demolished in the next few years". No mention of actual goals.

GUB
Feb 3, 2008, 12:34 AM
I totally agree about Kelly being in over his head. The guy provides no leadership and frankly is a bit of a wimp. I know who I won't be voting for. That being said, if the only other candidate were Sloane than we'd be in real trouble.

Jonovision
Feb 3, 2008, 3:04 AM
I saw that article this morning about the interchange and it made me so frustrated! Why in the world must the city do ANOTHER study!!!!!!!! It's absolutely ridiculus!!!!! GAH Kelly has to go!!!!

Haliguy
Feb 3, 2008, 2:33 PM
Library’s woes worsen — CEO
Clean, spacious building needed sooner, not later, Hare says
By BILL POWER Staff Reporter
Sun. Feb 3 - 5:27 AM

[A man and two children leave the Spring Garden Road Memorial Public Library on Saturday. A public meeting will be held on Wednesday to discuss a new facility. (Ingrid Bulmer / Staff)</p>]

A library staff person wheels a book cart at the Spring Garden Road library, (Ingrid Bulmer / Staff)

[A man and two children leave the Spring Garden Road Memorial Public Library on Saturday. A public meeting will be held on Wednesday to discuss a new facility. (Ingrid Bulmer / Staff)</p>]

A man and two children leave the Spring Garden Road Memorial Public Library on Saturday. A public meeting will be held on Wednesday to discuss a new facility. (Ingrid Bulmer / Staff)

Conditions at the Spring Garden Road Memorial Public Library in Halifax have deteriorated to such a pitiful state that a public meeting to discuss a replacement for the 57-year-old structure will be held at a nearby hotel.

"It really is sad that we do not have space for a community meeting of this size," Judith Hare, chief executive officer of Halifax Public Libraries, said Saturday.

That’s just one deficiency that will be addressed when a replacement is built, Ms. Hare said in an interview.

She said the discussion about the need for a new downtown central library ended a long time ago.

"Now is the time to move forward and hopefully it will be something spectacular," Ms. Hare said of a replacement for the often waterlogged and mould-infested building that was scheduled for renewal back before municipal amalgamation in 1996.

She said backers of the central library project are mindful of the risk of over-planning and of further delays as they embark on consultations this week. That includes a public meeting at the Lord Nelson Hotel on Wednesday beginning at 7 p.m. and focus meetings with teenagers, day-care operators and other library regulars throughout the week.

A site at the corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen Street near the existing library was tentatively targeted last June for a new facility.

Negotiations about the future of that site and some others in the area are continuing between Halifax Regional Municipality and the province.

Ms. Hare said the Lord Nelson meeting is expected to be well-attended as it is the first step in determining the services, functions and space requirements for the library system’s flagship branch.

"Our goal right now is to gather input from the public and staff. We need to hear what people want in a new central library so we can develop a shared vision that will meet the needs of the community for years to come.

"Based on this input, our team of experienced urban designers, planners and architects will shape that vision into a reality."

This phase of the planning process is expected to be completed by June, when figures on the new building’s tentative cost and proposed square footage will be presented to regional council. A $35-million price tag is attached to the project in a draft staff report circulated at city hall last year.

The Spring Garden Road library was built in 1951 and enlarged in the early ’70s. Water leaks and mould have increased maintenance needs in recent years.

Serious talks within HRM about replacing the structure started back in 1996, and the former city approved a replacement plan about 10 years before that.

"We truly cannot continue operating in the existing building much longer," Ms. Hare said.

She said that besides mounting technical and space-deficiency issues there are health and safety concerns behind the drive to build a replacement.

The Spring Garden Road branch has about 500,000 patron visits annually, compared to an estimated 4.5 million overall within the 14-branch system.

( bpower@herald.ca)