PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with that former auto shop @ Brentwood Town Centre Station?

finalcoolman
Feb 2, 2008, 7:16 AM
At the North-east corner of the Lougheed and Willingdon intersection, there is a former auto shop that closed just after the opening of the Millenium Line. The land parcel is located just south of the Brentwood Station bus loop and just west of the pedestrian walkway coming from the station. The building has been vacant since then, for what, 5+ years now? Anyone know when they are going to tear down the eye sore, and what is it going to be replaced with? Thanks.

officedweller
Feb 2, 2008, 7:28 AM
Haven't heard anything. You would have thought that they would have torn it down just to remediate the soil below.

Bert
Feb 2, 2008, 7:57 PM
I believe the original plan was that it would be a public square, but that may have changed.

SpongeG
Feb 3, 2008, 12:19 AM
it used to be a gas station so they have to let it air out for i think 5 or 10 years before building

cornholio
Feb 3, 2008, 1:23 AM
Its been declared a heritage building.
jk
That building actually really bugs me just siting there like that, it should really be torn down. I have a feeling though that Brentwood mall doesn't own the property, or at least I would think if they did own it then they would of taken care of it a long time ago.
^The gas station was at the corner, the building siting there was just a bunch of repair shops and a budget muffler for as long as i remember.

SpongeG
Feb 3, 2008, 4:04 AM
yah but if you are a developer you would probably want to develop the whole parcel at once instead of the former garage and wait until the gas station part is clear to build on no?

worldwide
Feb 3, 2008, 4:21 AM
with soaring construction costs it could be more profitable to leave that as the last phase

SpongeG
Feb 3, 2008, 4:30 AM
theres not much room though - you could put up a mcdonalds or carls jr maybe

worldwide
Feb 3, 2008, 5:14 AM
public square sounds better than that.. although i could go for some chicken nuggets right now

Bert
Feb 3, 2008, 8:47 AM
I believe the original plan was that it would be a public square, but that may have changed.
Here's the land use concept from the City of Burnaby's site (http://burnaby.ca/cityhall/departments/departments_planning/plnnng_plans/plnnng_plans_brntwd/plnnng_plans_brntwd_lndusc.html):
http://i32.tinypic.com/xlguj4.jpg

The square is actually inset a little from Willingdon & Lougheed, as it describes in the Development Plan (http://www.burnaby.ca/cityhall/departments/departments_planning/plnnng_plans/plnnng_plans_brntwd/plnnng_plans_brntwd_dvlpmn.html):
6.3. c)
A minimum 1 acre public town square is proposed with an urban character suitable for public celebrations and surrounded by pedestrian arcades with high-vitality drop-in commercial activities such as cafes and restaurants. This town square should be City controlled. This town square is desired on the central Brentwood Mall site near the Lougheed/Willingdon intersection. This feature could be provided in conjunction with major redevelopment of the Mall site and/or the establishment of the LRT Station.
7.1. a)
The large north-east Brentwood Mall quadrant recognizes the continuing strength of the mall and encourages the development of major office development and pedestrian-oriented commercial focussed around a "town square" public open space feature near the Lougheed/Willingdon intersection. High-rise developments should be oriented to the Lougheed/Willingdon intersection in the south-west portion of the mall site. Development near the intersection would be integrated with grade-separated pedestrian crossings across the Lougheed Highway and Willingdon Avenue to other core quadrants as well as integration with the bus loop and the LRT station.

officedweller
Feb 6, 2008, 9:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

SpongeG
Feb 7, 2008, 2:25 AM
will be nice

the area could use something like that

Distill3d
Feb 28, 2010, 7:35 AM
Hate to drag up an old post, but the building has been gone since sometime between August and October 2009.

red-paladin
Feb 28, 2010, 9:30 AM
It took a few years, but Brentwood is sure becoming a successful high density transit node!

SpongeG
Feb 28, 2010, 9:33 AM
the site still has some time to air out doesn't it?

don't they have to let former gas stations air out for like 10 years or something?