View Full Version : [Dartmouth] Greenvale Lofts | ? m | 4 fl | Completed

Pages : 1 [2]

Jonovision
Oct 10, 2009, 9:41 PM
It does look really good. They are doing a good job.
Did you notice that they have a frame in one of the windows: pine st side near Ochterloney, 2nd floor. The framing looks out of place as a replacement window. JET

I did not notice that framing yet. Only the framing on the bottom floors of the extension.

ZET
Oct 25, 2009, 1:57 PM
It looks like they might be trying to replicate the chimney, there is an area boxed in between the two roofs where the base of the old chimney was located. There is a public hearing mid Nov about proposed alterations to the original plan. ZET

Dmajackson
Nov 5, 2009, 8:43 PM
Character-defining chimney could be gone for good
Halifax News Net
By Joanie Veitch – The Weekly News

Asking Dexel Developments to rebuild a brick chimney demolished on the former Greenvale School building doesn’t make sense, Dartmouth Centre Coun. Gloria McCluskey told her fellow councillors at regional council last week.
“I stood up and said ‘this is ridiculous’ and it is,” said McCluskey. “That old chimney had to be taken down and to say that he should have to build a replacement … that’s just silly.”
Dexel knocked the chimney down this past summer, in the early stages of construction.
An HRM staff report and recommendation specified the chimney as a one of several “character defining” elements on the municipal heritage property in the 2007 Development Agreement, leading to the staff recommendation that the developer replace it.
At a heritage advisory committee meeting last month, members voted to support the HRM staff position by refusing approval of the chimney removal. Members also recommended that a replica of the chimney be built, suggesting a reinforced brick-sheathed plywood box to match the old design.
Councillors did not support that recommendation at regional council last week. The issue may be on the table yet again though, as it is one of three “substantive” amendments to the development agreement requested by Dexel Developments and substantive amendments require a public hearing.
The public hearing on the amendments is scheduled for the next Harbour East Community Council meeting on Nov. 12.
The $6 million development project, called the Lofts at Greenvale, will create 36 rental units in the historic school. Developer Louis Lawen reached an agreement in principle with HRM to develop the site back in 2003, but didn’t take ownership of the property until late 2007, due to problems with an old sewer line that had to be worked out with the city.
jveitch@ns.sympatico.ca
Greenvale amending agreement
Although the Development Agreement set up in 2007 allows for the original brick exterior of the Greenvale School building to be covered with an Exterior Insulation Finish System, it outlines several other character defining elements that should be “retained or reconstructed”, including:
1. Tall chimneys and wide arched windows trimmed with keystones
2. Overall form and proportions
3. Classic decorative trim
4. Building materials including brick, copper and slate
5. Hipped roof with copper gutter and detailed trim
6. Side entrances with classical porticos with Doric columns
7. Front entrance with central portico with Doric columns and a balustrade with large arched window above
8. Graduated levels following grade of property
9. Original trees.
Source: HRM website (halifax.ca/council/agendasc/ documents/ 091027ca1131.pdf)

hfx_chris
Nov 5, 2009, 10:13 PM
It's just a chimney...

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 6, 2009, 3:56 AM
bump

JET
Nov 6, 2009, 1:05 PM
It's just a chimney...

I agree, just a chimney. They have almost finished the framing for the roof on the extension. They no doubt wish that it was covered given the snow today. Looking very good overall Probably windows soon. JET

spaustin
Nov 16, 2009, 3:11 AM
Drove by it tonight and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. The addition is coming along well, but the brick on the old portion has been completely covered by the cladding which looks real fake, almost foam like. Very disappointing. I'm guessing retaining the brick on the exterior was probably one of those substantive revisions that Bedford DJ referenced or maybe it was left out of the development agreement. Either way, it's a huge letdown as I thought we were going to get the old blended with the new instead of the old getting covered by the new.

JET
Nov 16, 2009, 1:19 PM
Drove by it tonight and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. The addition is coming along well, but the brick on the old portion has been completely covered by the cladding which looks real fake, almost foam like. Very disappointing. I'm guessing retaining the brick on the exterior was probably one of those substantive revisions that Bedford DJ referenced or maybe it was left out of the development agreement. Either way, it's a huge letdown as I thought we were going to get the old blended with the new instead of the old getting covered by the new.

The issue with the exterior is that there is exposed brick on the inside walls, so in order to insulate they added insulation over the exterior brick and then put a stucco over the insulation. I live a 1/2 block away and I sort of like it now. Overall, I think that it looks good. The detailing is still quite nice.. JET

hfx_chris
Nov 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
I think it looks quite nice myself.

JET
Nov 27, 2009, 1:31 PM
All the roofing is complete. There was a big Kohler window transport truck there this morning. The sign out front says Spring 2009 occupancy. Also advertising for office space; 1,000-10,000 sq ft. JET

JET
Dec 4, 2009, 8:17 PM
The new windows look great. The arched one above the front portico is quite striking. At night some of the inside is lit with floodlights. JET

JET
Dec 8, 2009, 1:27 PM
http://www.444rent.com/availability.asp?CategoryID=26&BuildingID=GV

Prices, floor plans, "photos". Looks like there is a plan to call that block of Pine St.: "19 Irishtown Road" JET

Takeo
Dec 8, 2009, 4:00 PM
http://www.444rent.com/availability.asp?CategoryID=26&BuildingID=GV

Prices, floor plans, "photos". Looks like there is a plan to call that block of Pine St.: "19 Irishtown Road" JET

Interesting that they are called lofts but none of them are actually lofts. They just have high ceilings and some rooms with dust collecting crawl spaces above them... for more than my mortgage payment in the North End near the Hydrostone. It is a good development though. Despite the stucco. LOL :)

hfx_chris
Dec 8, 2009, 6:21 PM
Not only that, but the floor plans look very basic and uninteresting.

JET
Dec 8, 2009, 6:47 PM
Not only that, but the floor plans look very basic and uninteresting.

What will be remarkable, will be the units that have sixteen foot ceilings, exposed brick walls (16'), and oversized windows. Not all have 16' heights, but many will have 12' heights. May 2010 occupancy is being advertised. Looking forward to the next openhouse. JET

Dmajackson
Dec 12, 2009, 10:29 PM
By me;

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2577/4180021204_5702486e7d_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2743/4179261181_e714e7630f_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2521/4179265385_be39b5b27c_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2706/4179263335_e6cc05e67a_b.jpg

fenwick16
Dec 12, 2009, 11:08 PM
Thank you for all of the development updates Bedford_DJ. There are a lot of interesting projects currently underway in the HRM.

Jonovision
Jan 14, 2010, 4:00 AM
The bottom level of the addition has been clad with a very very nice looking stone.

JET
Jan 14, 2010, 5:10 PM
I walked by one night and the lights were on in the second floor of the original building. The exposed brick walls looked very nice. JET

Dmajackson
Jan 14, 2010, 11:54 PM
I walked by one night and the lights were on in the second floor of the original building. The exposed brick walls looked very nice. JET

I just went by this and that stone does look very nice. :)

hfx_chris
Apr 1, 2010, 2:35 AM
For what it's worth, at the moment I am very, very seriously considering this building...

Jonovision
Apr 1, 2010, 12:42 PM
I have looked into it as well. It looks like a great building!

JET
Apr 1, 2010, 6:02 PM
For what it's worth, at the moment I am very, very seriously considering this building...

and would you then be 'Dartmouth_Chris' ?
or maybe even 'DDT_Chris' JET

hfx_chris
Apr 1, 2010, 9:10 PM
Well actually I live in Dartmouth now... the "hfx" in my name comes from the fact I use the same name on other non-local forums, and not too many people from outside of this country, let alone province, would know where Dartmouth is :P

Keith P.
Apr 2, 2010, 12:53 PM
He needs to change it to "darkside_chris"...

hfx_chris
Apr 2, 2010, 4:21 PM
:(

ZET
Apr 2, 2010, 4:58 PM

It's the darkside to those who are not enlightened, and we find that it's better to keep them in the dark JET

hfx_chris
Apr 2, 2010, 7:35 PM
It's the darkside to those who are not enlightened, and we find that it's better to keep them in the dark JET

High five sir!

ZET
Apr 3, 2010, 2:36 AM
:)

Jstaleness
Apr 5, 2010, 10:58 AM
:tup:

Dr SweetLove
Apr 5, 2010, 8:46 PM

:haha: or de backside jugin' from prtland street

hfx_chris
Apr 9, 2010, 8:58 PM

Well, I had a walk through a few units tonight.
Here's my thoughts on this development.

It's extremely interesting for one thing. The units all had polished concrete floors with in-floor heating, which actually looked pretty awesome. Some units had exposed brick walls from the original school building. I love the fact that just about every unit was different from the next, instead of just a typical new construction building where every unit is the same as the next.
In my opinion where this building really shines is the lofts. Not all units have a second floor loft, but the ones that do - those lofts are a really huge in my opinion. Definitely the hilight, and if you're going to move into a place called "The Lofts at Greenvale" - you've got to get one with a loft. Bedrooms and kitchens were also a good size.

However... the rest of the space? Small. I really realized it after I left and was thinking about it, but the living/dining areas are very, very cramped. They looked like a good size on the floor plans, but in person? You would be hard pressed to fit a decent sized dining table, couch, chair(s), TV and other furniture in those spaces, and not feel like you're crowded in. In fact, one unit I looked at, I don't even think you could fit a dining table in. And for the price they're asking? No thanks.

So I hate to say, I think Greenvale is off the menu for me.. Which is a huge shame, it's a 5 minute walk for me to work, great location - and the lofts are awesome. But the rest is quite disappointing.

Sadly, there isn't much else in downtown Dartmouth for rentals...so I find myself seriously considering the idea of taking on a mortgage and buying a condo in the area... :sly:

Jonovision
Jun 12, 2010, 1:55 AM
I was out and about today so I thought I would bring my camera along. There was an open house this afternoon. I didn't get a chance to go in, but it looks like at least the older portion of the building will be ready for occupancy next month. The backside still has a little longer I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_3742.jpg?t=1276306249

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_3741.jpg?t=1276307578

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_3740.jpg?t=1276307608

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_3739.jpg?t=1276307631

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_3738.jpg?t=1276307649

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_3737.jpg?t=1276307665

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_3736.jpg?t=1276307681

And just a bonus shot of a lot just down the street at the corner of Ochterloney and Maple. A lot that I believe could house a nice apartment building.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_3735.jpg?t=1276307734

hfx_chris
Jun 14, 2010, 12:16 AM
I didn't get a chance to go in, but it looks like at least the older portion of the building will be ready for occupancy next month.
The building is already partly occupied, as far as I know.

JET
Jun 14, 2010, 12:14 PM
The building is already partly occupied, as far as I know.

I was in on Saturday for a mini tour. There are 3 of the 36 units for rent. I saw a loft init in the new part and an apt in the north east corner (partially below grade. The front doors will be the entrance for one apartment. Three apts have small patios. Overall it looks geat. Last time I was in was just before the demo. Good save. JET

halifaxboyns
Jun 14, 2010, 8:08 PM
I haven't seen the inside of the building but the outside looks great!

hfx_chris
Jun 16, 2010, 11:28 PM
Overall it looks geat.
Really? I was quite unimpressed with the interior, especially the size of the units...

JET
Jun 17, 2010, 2:48 PM
Really? I was quite unimpressed with the interior, especially the size of the units...

My statement was more in terms of the exterior and surrounding landscaping. Only 3 units left, so some folks liked them enough on the interior. I didn't see any of the larger units in the old section, except through the windows at night, but they looked impressive. JET

Jstaleness
Jun 19, 2010, 8:12 PM
And just a bonus shot of a lot just down the street at the corner of Ochterloney and Maple. A lot that I believe could house a nice apartment building.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/IMG_3735.jpg?t=1276307734[/QUOTE]

The old NS Power building across the street is up for lease as well. Something really cool could be done on each side of the street. Maybe join the two with a 3rd floor pedway.

hfx_chris
Jun 20, 2010, 12:24 AM
My statement was more in terms of the exterior and surrounding landscaping. Only 3 units left, so some folks liked them enough on the interior. I didn't see any of the larger units in the old section, except through the windows at night, but they looked impressive. JET
To tell the truth, I didn't notice much of a difference between the units in the new and old sections of the building, they were all tiny. Only real difference was that the units in the old section had a lot of exposed brick on the interior and exterior walls, where as the new didn't.

Dmajackson
Jul 10, 2010, 5:58 PM
I take it this is complete now?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4780632332_22c2e9ea7e_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4780017397_2c112f89e1_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4780634630_7bbdb06251_z.jpg

fenwick16
Jul 10, 2010, 6:23 PM
I think that it turned out very well. Which is the original building - the left or right side?

Dmajackson
Jul 10, 2010, 6:58 PM
I think that it turned out very well. Which is the original building - the left or right side?

The old section is in the second photo fronting onto Ochterlonely Street.

I'm also quite pleased with how this development turned out. :tup:

phn902
Jul 10, 2010, 11:07 PM
This building turned out great. I think the developer did a great job of keeping the look of the building as it once did.

Before:
http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/43749/2420154520096709958S500x500Q85.jpg

After:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4780017397_2c112f89e1_z.jpg

bluenoser
Jul 12, 2010, 3:42 PM
I love this development overall. I'm a bit disappointed that they painted (stucco'ed?) over the original brick; to me it makes it less distinguishable as a nicely done restoration/addition vs. just a nicely built new building. I think the old brick would've looked great contrasted with new windows/sills etc. Anyway, maybe that's nitpicking.

I recently found out that my mother attended this school as a kid - made this development a little more personal for me, ha.

halifaxboyns
Jul 12, 2010, 4:20 PM
I agree with bluenoser a bit; the stuco could've been left off and I would've been happy.

But this is a great example of using heritage buildings and still seeing development. Not a great example of taller buildings with heritage, but still a good example of heritage intergration.

I think that this project should be touted for using historical resources as an advantage, instead of tearing the building down.

phn902
Jul 13, 2010, 9:34 AM
I don't think they covered over the bricks purely for aesthetic reasons. I think it was more so to do with insulating the building. If they did it from the inside of the building they would have lost more floor space and covered over some of the old brick they wanted to leave exposed inside of the units.

someone123
Jul 13, 2010, 10:12 PM
I'm sure if it were aesthetic they would have kept the exterior brick. Part of it is probably the brick maintenance (repointing) in addition to the insulation, although maybe it would have been worth it for the front part of the building.

Either way, I greatly prefer this to the abandoned brick version.

halifaxboyns
Jul 13, 2010, 10:15 PM
I agree, the old brick would've looked better - so if I were to score this out of 10; I would've given a higher mark for the older brick.

That being said, I still give this at least a 7, if not an 8 out of 10. So if it had retained the original brick, top marks - but still its a reasonable approach and still a good example of heritage integration.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 24, 2019, 10:24 PM
This is the school I attended as an elementary school student, and this is the project that first drew me to this forum.

Just bumping this one up to the top, wondering if any forum members ever moved into this building and what their impressions are of it.

Colin May
Apr 25, 2019, 2:33 AM
This is the school I attended as an elementary school student, and this is the project that first drew me to this forum.

Just bumping this one up to the top, wondering if any forum members ever moved into this building and what their impressions are of it.
We were in for a visit when it was first opened for rental, we wanted to see how well it had been configured. We were in again some time after to see if they had an MT unit. We liked it but the proposed high rise next door ruins all the good work that took place in restoring the old school. At the rear the proposed building would be as close as 8 feet. Lawen always does a good job and city staff gave him far too much grief during the conversion from school to residential. The view from the street in summer and fall is beautiful and far more attractive than many recent apartment buildings.

Jonovision
Apr 25, 2019, 3:56 PM
We were in for a visit when it was first opened for rental, we wanted to see how well it had been configured. We were in again some time after to see if they had an MT unit. We liked it but the proposed high rise next door ruins all the good work that took place in restoring the old school. At the rear the proposed building would be as close as 8 feet. Lawen always does a good job and city staff gave him far too much grief during the conversion from school to residential. The view from the street in summer and fall is beautiful and far more attractive than many recent apartment buildings.

Those properties adjacent were sold recently. I am not sure who bought them but I have a feeling the development agreement that was approved has expired.

JET
Apr 25, 2019, 4:17 PM
I don't recall that there was anything approved that would put a new building right next to Greenvale. There is a driveway to the West and parking to the South. Anything built should have to have some setback/greenspace. I drive by it everyday, it's lovely. I was inside just before they started the renos, and the rain was falling through the floors, and the walls were moldy and peeling. Like Colin I was in and saw a couple of the units up for rent, some had tall ceilings and expanses of exposed brick. Before the rent I had climbed a ladder into the attic, the flat roof would have been a great spot for a rooftop patio.

Colin May
Apr 25, 2019, 7:37 PM
I don't recall that there was anything approved that would put a new building right next to Greenvale.
I was referring to the empty lot at the back. There is a development agreement in place for a 16(?) storey apartment. The original developer sold several lots for $3,000,000 on February 28 2019 including 150 Ochterloney and 94 Queen and the former bowling alley site. The agreement has been extended for a few years.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 25, 2019, 7:40 PM
Thanks for the info! Hopefully there will be some setback to anything built around it so that it doesn't get crowded out.

I'm glad it turned out well as that building will always have special memories for me. I agree with the earlier postings that it would have been nice to keep the original brick visible from the outside, but perhaps this was done to enable the outer units to have exposed brick on the inside?

:tup:

Jonovision
Apr 26, 2019, 4:03 PM
I was referring to the empty lot at the back. There is a development agreement in place for a 16(?) storey apartment. The original developer sold several lots for $3,000,000 on February 28 2019 including 150 Ochterloney and 94 Queen and the former bowling alley site. The agreement has been extended for a few years.

Thanks for the info. I hope whoever bought it decides to redesign. It was a god awful proposal and with the phase 2 coming for the Sawmill daylighting there is going to be a nice new park right there. Would be a shame if the developer turned their back to it.

Colin May
Apr 26, 2019, 4:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I hope whoever bought it decides to redesign. It was a god awful proposal and with the phase 2 coming for the Sawmill daylighting there is going to be a nice new park right there. Would be a shame if the developer turned their back to it.
HRM should expropriate the 2 lots adjacent Greenvale and have one large open park space.