View Full Version : Edmonton bid for 2017 or 2020 World's Fair

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Shodan
Jan 26, 2008, 2:32 PM
City finally shows it's serious on World's Fair

Gary Lamphier
The Edmonton Journal

Saturday, January 26, 2008

EDMONTON - Hallelujah, I say. After years of loose talk on the subject, Edmonton city council has finally approved plans for an initial review of a possible bid for a World's Fair in 2017 or 2020.

Whether Edmonton ultimately pursues a bid or not -- and that's still a big "if" at this early stage -- city council's willingness to dream big should be applauded. It's another signal that Edmonton has outgrown its goofy inferiority complex, and now sees itself as a major-league city.

The green light for the preliminary study, granted by council at an in-camera session in December, follows months of informal talks about a potential bid involving some 20 local business and political leaders.

The initial review, slated to be completed by fall at a cost of roughly $500,000, will involve the formation of an advisory committee, the hiring of a project manager, and consultations with other levels of government.

If council then decides it's still committed to pursuing a bid, it's expected to commission a full-scale feasibility study, to be completed by 2010.

The federal government, which must endorse any city's bid to host a World's Fair, would then have to select which Canadian city it supports by 2011.

Montreal, which thrust itself onto the world stage during Canada's centennial year by hosting Expo 67, has already made clear its intention to pursue a World's Fair bid for 2017 -- Canada's 150th birthday.

Several other Canadian cities -- including Ottawa, Hamilton and possibly Calgary -- are also rumoured to be mulling possible bids for 2017.

The Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), the Paris-based body that sanctions international expositions, must decide by 2012 which city would host any World's Fair in 2017.

Ward four councillor Jane Batty, who is overseeing Edmonton's World's Fair initiative along with veteran city councillor Karen Leibovici, says the secretive nature of the discussions to date partly reflects competitive realities.

"I understand both Toronto and Montreal are interested in a possible bid, and Calgary is also considering it. Of course, Canada will only be able to support one bid," she notes.

"So part of the talk has been, 'When do we do a feasibility study, and when do we bring in the citizen aspect of it, and when do we go public?' We don't want to show our hand too quickly."

Despite Batty's understandable caution, there appears to be plenty of enthusiasm for considering a bid among those who have attended exploratory sessions over the past few months.

"Personally, I'm more than happy to endorse this idea, one hundred per cent," says Ken Cantor of Qualico Developments, which recently unveiled plans to build a new $250-

million, 28-storey tower for city-owned Epcor Utilities.

"This (a World's Fair bid) is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It's one of the few, singular events available to a city that gives it both an opportunity and a commitment to grow up, and step onto the world stage. For those cities that do take it on, it's wonderful how they coalesce around it."

Ruth Kelly, publisher of Alberta Venture magazine and former chairwoman of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, is another backer.

"I'm extremely pleased city council has seen the value of exploring this. An exposition in Edmonton is an ideal way to showcase our city to the world. It would be a tremendous boon to our long-term economic and cultural viability."

Even if Edmonton tries but fails to attract a World's Fair, Kelly argues that the exercise can't help but generate a lot of positive buzz for the city.

"This is a tremendous opportunity to galvanize people towards a specific goal, and a vision of what the city can be. To get people excited and focused on a common goal is a tremendous asset on its own. That's how great cities become great."

Denise Carpenter, a senior VP at Epcor, is another supporter. "Any time we can do anything to promote our city internationally and to inspire the people who live here, we should do it," she says.

"This would put Edmonton on the international stage, as other events have done over the years. I've only attended one discussion meeting so far, but I'd absolutely participate and help in any way that I could."

Although talks to date have been of an exploratory nature only, the under-utilized city centre airport site has been proposed by some as one possible venue for hosting a World's Fair.

Proponents say the airport's scale, its concrete runways, its proximity to downtown, and its convenient transit connections -- particularly in light of recent talk about a possible future LRT line to the adjacent NAIT campus -- make it an attractive choice.

Others say Edmonton's sprawling river valley would be the ideal location for a World's Fair, although critics worry that millions of potential visitors would quickly overload the valley's fragile ecosystem. Safety issues would pose another big challenge.

But these are details. For now, the good new is, Edmonton is finally starting to think like a big city. And that has to be a good thing.

© The Edmonton Journal 2008

Copyright © 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

Cool! :tup:

If this actually happens, could somebody build one of these? Puh-leeeez???

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=65573&rendTypeId=4
From Encyclopædia Britannica Online

Kevin_foster
Jan 26, 2008, 3:49 PM
We could call it, the Oil Derrick! Instead of the space needle... no.... dont like it ? ...huh... oh ... well.... (shuffles feet and looks down)..... (runs)

IKAN104
Jan 26, 2008, 3:56 PM
Very cool. It's still a long shot but I remember being told that Edmonton would "never in a million years" be awarded the 2001 Track & Field Championships. I have full confidence in this city's ability to pull it off.

MalcolmTucker
Jan 26, 2008, 5:34 PM
Very cool. It's still a long shot but I remember being told that Edmonton would "never in a million years" be awarded the 2001 Track & Field Championships. I have full confidence in this city's ability to pull it off.

Yeah, this one is not the full size one like Shanghai or Montreal had back in the day, but more like the BC sized one right? (to be fair back when BC hosted it the smaller sized fairs did not have a limit on sheer size)

The smaller sized fairs are good!

I hope this goes forward with full vigor, I wonder what the other Canadian bids will look like (which Canadian bid to go forward was based 100% on financial considerations in 1995)

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8751/picture11ok2.png

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4293/picture12ox7.png

As a bit of nostos, here is the article from when Calgary lost the 2005 bid (I still have my bid committee hoody)

Calgary loses out on Expo 2005

Japan overwhelming choice despite massive lobbying effort by Canadian bidders

Alanna Mitchell. The Globe and Mail. Toronto, Ont.: Jun 13, 1997. pg. A.1
Friday, June 13, 1997

Alberta Bureau

CALGARY -- Canada lost its third consecutive bid for a world's fair yesterday when Japan sailed past Calgary to win Expo 2005 in what many here said was a case of money overpowering merit.

After three years of ceaseless self-promotion, including the formal corporate sponsorship by both city newspapers, Calgary had come to be seen locally as the little engine that could bump off the economic superpower of Japan. As recently as the day before the vote, the Calgary team was saying publicly it believed Canada would win.

But when the votes of the delegates to the Bureau international des exhibitions were counted yesterday morning in Monte Carlo, Japan won so resoundingly -- 52-27 -- that it was clear the race had never been close.

And that was what stunned thousands of Calgarians as they thronged Olympic Plaza at noon, about an hour after the announcement, to digest the loss, sing the national anthem and occasionally wipe away tears.

"It's pretty disappointing," said Lori Chornick, who was there with her two pre-school-aged daughters. "We expected to win. We should have."

Michael Monkman, 15, said the whole process had really been about Japan's economic power, not about Calgary's proposal.

"I personally think it's about economics and increasing trade for Japan," he said as he watched some of the bid's executives try to explain the loss to Calgarians through a television feed from Monaco.

The bid's organizers were visibly crushed by the results of the vote. Jack Perraton, a prominent local lawyer who was chairman of Calgary's quest for the world's fair, told Calgarians from Monte Carlo that it had all come down to economic and geopolitical considerations.

"I think I could say to you if this would have been awarded on merit and no other considerations, we would have won hands-down," Mr. Perraton said.

Calgary Mayor Al Duerr, who looked stricken, said he didn't think a single voting member of the bureau had any doubt that Canada had the best project.

"There is no dishonour in defeat," he told the crowd in his address from Monaco.

Standing with the crowd in pools of rainwater in Olympic Plaza, James Maxim, involved with a lobby of the Middle East and Africa on behalf of the Calgary bid, said even those working on the bid were shocked at the margin by which Japan won.

He said part of the explanation might be the rush of new member countries to the Bureau international des expositions, many of which may have been persuaded to join in order to support Japan's bid. Just a few months ago, the organization had about 50 members. Yesterday, 81 deposited ballots. (One country abstained and one spoiled its ballot, in addition to the 52 votes for Japan and 27 for Calgary.)

"What Japan offered them, we'll never know," Mr. Maxim said. "It's probably safe to assume some economic opportunity was offered to those countries."

Toronto, too, has been humbled by this process. It lost its attempt to hold Expo 2000 by a single vote in 1990 that sent that world's fair to Hanover, Germany. Then in 1992, Toronto lost to Lisbon in its bid to hold Expo 98.

Japan's Expo bid was backed by some of its most powerful businesses. The bid chairman is Shoichiro Toyoda, one of Japan's most influential businessmen and chairman of Toyota Motor Corp.

Expo 2005 will take place near Nagoya in the Aichi prefecture, which is also home to Toyota's head office. Its theme is finding ways for humans to live harmoniously with nature.

However, in order to build the pavilions necessary to showcase this theme and accommodate the 25 million expected visitors, Japan will have to destroy 150 hectares of the environmentally sensitive Kaisho forest, which contains about 10 endangered species of plants and animals.

Japan's bid has been harshly criticized by environmentalists in that country and by influential international organizations such as the Japanese branch of the World Wildlife Fund.

The Canadian Expo 2005 team said the fair would have meant economic benefits of $1.8-billion to Canada, with the lion's share going to Alberta. But in an effort to put the loss in a positive light, organizers said yesterday that Calgary's $5.5-million around-the-world travelling spree to try to win the fair would likely still have some economic spinoffs for the city. "It's been a very successful economic development strategy for our city," Councillor Joanne Kerr told the crowd.

Coldrsx
Jan 26, 2008, 5:51 PM
Shodan - if by WAMU then yes...:>

Edmonchuck
Jan 27, 2008, 1:06 AM
:)

Hmmm, coffee with Gary paid off.

Jimby
Jan 27, 2008, 5:31 AM
Shodan - if by WAMU then yes...:>

I second a WAMU style building for Edmonton! A World's Fair? Not so much.

rapid_business
Jan 27, 2008, 6:23 AM
Glad to see this getting traction. Counting down for NIMBY/pothole connoisseur letter to the editor in 3.....2....1......

wild wild west
Jan 27, 2008, 6:32 AM
I say go for it! I think Edmonton would be a great choice for a future World Expo (as long as it doesn't endanger a possible Calgary bid;) ). A great opportunity to bring World exposure to Edmonton.

MrBigStuff
Jan 27, 2008, 11:01 PM
It would be very good to see another World class event in Alberta.That would be sweeeet!!!!
Go Get 'er Edmonton!!!

Edmonchuck
Jan 28, 2008, 4:31 AM
There is a lot of momentum...

rapid_business
Jan 28, 2008, 5:30 AM
/\ how so?

Edmonchuck
Jan 28, 2008, 3:38 PM
without giving up the farm...

Feasibility study

Council support

20+ citizen action committee made up of prominent fed politicians, provincial cabinet minister backing, and local business, social, and education leaders.

My fear is that this gets lost in the city's penchant for due dilligenc emorphing into analysis paralysis...

Coldrsx
Jan 28, 2008, 4:39 PM
im still undecided if i would want this or not to be honest...

Edmonchuck
Jan 28, 2008, 4:42 PM
why?

Coldrsx
Jan 28, 2008, 4:45 PM
^to be completely honest...i dont think Edmonton is ready for something like this. I dont think we deserve to win such a prominent event without solving some of our own problems right now.

Dont get me wrong, i would love to see it here, but i personally feel we need to create an environment that is a deserving and right now that does not exist.

Spencer
Jan 28, 2008, 4:50 PM
/\/\/\ Maybe this could help us get the resources etc to help pbring the city to the next level. Before Vancouver held their EXPO they didn't have the skytrain, False Creek was kind of a dump etc. This may hlp create the momentum we need...

Edmonchuck
Jan 28, 2008, 4:52 PM
/\/\/\ Maybe this could help us get the resources etc to help pbring the city to the next level.

That is the plan. We need a compelling event to give the city some focus. Right now, it is scattered and haphazard.

Coldrsx
Jan 28, 2008, 4:53 PM
^i agree that major events support the move for more major capital projects, but i still dont feel we deserve it.

Edmonton needs to shape up, show some respect for itself, and create a friendly welcoming city.

Edmonchuck
Jan 28, 2008, 5:09 PM
Not arguing that...just trying to give it a reason to so we can blow past the old world self-depricating attitude that plagues Edmonton.

IKAN104
Jan 28, 2008, 5:12 PM
^i agree that major events support the move for more major capital projects, but i still dont feel we deserve it.

Edmonton needs to shape up, show some respect for itself, and create a friendly welcoming city.

I think hosting this event would be a big step towards doing exactly what you say we should.

Coldrsx
Jan 28, 2008, 5:15 PM
^yes...it would and Edmonton always hosts a great event, but i truly think we dont deserve to be on a world stage at this point.

If we dont make decisions and create reasons to make Edmonton more "world class", why should we be a showcase for the world?

Edmonchuck
Jan 28, 2008, 5:18 PM
Right now Cold, the forces of mediocrity have a platform with no major compelling event propelling the rest of us to stand up and shout "SHUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUP, this ISN'T VEGRIVILLE!!!!!!" 2017 is designed to elevate another platform, that of a major city that doesn't have to say "world class".

It forces you to take a hard look at yourself. The bid process ALONE will do that. Editorial after column after critique will hammer home the ideas.

Coldrsx
Jan 28, 2008, 5:28 PM
^yup and im perhaps playing a little devil's ad here, but Edmonton needs to convince me it is ready for this. Right now i dont see it.

Mikemike
Jan 28, 2008, 5:29 PM
9 years from now till 2017 is just right to build towards. At the current rate of change in thinking (look at LRT: we're thinking big again) Edmonton could be a much different place.

newfangled
Jan 28, 2008, 5:44 PM
Right now Cold, the forces of mediocrity have a platform with no major compelling event propelling the rest of us to stand up and shout "SHUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUP, this ISN'T VEGRIVILLE!!!!!!" 2017 is designed to elevate another platform, that of a major city that doesn't have to say "world class".

It forces you to take a hard look at yourself. The bid process ALONE will do that. Editorial after column after critique will hammer home the ideas.

Is it wrong that the main reason I want a World's Fair is in the hopes that it could act as a giant "Shut Up!" and maybe make people go away? :)

Hardhatdan
Jan 28, 2008, 5:45 PM
Is it wrong that the main reason I want a World's Fair is in the hopes that it could act as a giant "Shut Up!" and maybe make people go away? :)
No, no it isn't.

Edmonchuck
Jan 28, 2008, 6:43 PM
you won't recognize this place in 10 years

rapid_business
Jan 28, 2008, 6:57 PM
/\ I hope that is the case.

IKAN104
Jan 29, 2008, 4:27 PM
Would Expo transform E-town? Ask Vancouver
West Coast city came of age after world's fair

Gary Lamphier, The Edmonton Journal
Published: 1:31 am

EDMONTON - Now that Edmonton city council has set the wheels in motion for a possible World's Fair bid for either 2017 or 2020, it's instructive to consider what Expo 86 did for Vancouver, more than 20 years ago.

Expo 86 wasn't just a giant, 165-day party. It was also the catalyst for a civic transformation that forever altered Vancouver's urban landscape.

Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-Shing's massive condo development on False Creek North wouldn't have been built without the kick-start provided by Expo 86.

Ditto for the first leg of the city's now-sprawling SkyTrain system, and such eye-catching architectural icons as Canada Place and Science World.

Even the Coquihalla Highway owes its birth to Expo 86. The initial 115-kilometre leg of the spectacular toll road -- between Merritt and Hope -- was fast-tracked to coincide with Expo's launch in May, 1986.

These are a few of the "legacy" assets Expo left behind. And these assets, in turn, helped accelerate subsequent changes -- such as the redevelopment of the city's Yaletown district -- that now define the Vancouver brand.

It's a brand often associated with dense urban living, livable neighbourhoods, vibrant streetscapes and easy access to green space. It's also celebrated -- and envied -- by cities around the world.

Just as Vancouver's built landscape changed, so, too, did the city's psychological landscape. After Expo, Vancouver no longer saw itself as a somewhat isolated resource and port town, blighted by ugly sawmills.

Almost overnight, it morphed into Canada's gateway to the emergent economic giants of the Pacific Rim.

In the years before Britain's 1997 handover of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China, Vancouver attracted thousands of emigres, and hundreds of millions of dollars in investment.

Vancouver wasn't always regarded as a cool, urbane place to live. In the 1970s, when I first lived there, the False Creek and Granville Island neighbourhoods were ugly industrial zones.

By the time I returned in 1989, the Expo lands still sat empty, but the city was in the initial phase of a decade-long, post-Expo development explosion.

So what could an Expo '17 or an Expo '20 do for Edmonton? Could it accelerate development of the city's still-stunted LRT system, and push it to the outer 'burbs as well as the Edmonton International Airport? Could it lead to the redevelopment of the under-utilized but strategically located City Centre Airport lands?

Could it attract infrastructure dollars from the feds or the province, so Edmonton could finally clean up its main entrances, develop its own version of Granville Island in the centre of the river valley, and build a bridge to connect Gateway Boulevard to the downtown?

Just as importantly, could the transformational impact of Expo finally end the petty bickering that plagues Edmonton and its suburban neighbours, and focus the entire region on something bigger, nobler and grander?

The answer, in all cases, is yes. But don't take it from me. Take it from Larry Beasley, the widely respected Vancouver urban planner who played a huge role in creating the West Coast metropolis that exists today.

"Vancouver came of age through its World's Fair. It gave the city a kind of confidence it didn't have before, and set off a lot of the things that we've come to appreciate about the city," he says.

"It also brought in a lot of money from government and the private sector, and it brought the city to the attention of the rest of the world. I have almost nothing but positive things to say about it."

Beasley sees no reason why Edmonton couldn't pull off the same kind of world-class event, and achieve similar long-term benefits, provided it's well supported, properly planned and executed.

"Definitely. Now I'll say honestly, it's a little audacious for a small city to do. But hey, that's what these kinds of moves are about. They're about smart cities that do what is somewhat counter-intuitive."

Beasley says the city centre airport site would be an ideal location for a World's Fair, since it offers lots of opportunities to leverage future public infrastructure dollars and private redevelopment investment.

Locating such an event in the river valley would be a mistake, he argues, since it could "compromise" the city's crown jewel, while limiting opportunities for "legacy" infrastructure investment.

Beasley started as a neighbourhood planner in Vancouver in the 1970s. By the early 1990s, he was co-director of city planning, where he played a central role in transforming the city core into a model for urban redevelopment. In fact, it's now known globally as the "Vancouver model."

Beasley is now in demand worldwide, advising cities in the U.S., China and across the South Pacific on how to bring life back to their urban cores.

"I don't know Edmonton well, but what I do know of it is that the energy of a fair would be beneficial, provided it's well located and well conceived," he says. "It's always important that you do these things in a very thoughtful way."

glamphier@thejournal.canwest.com

newfangled
Jan 29, 2008, 5:05 PM
Just as importantly, could the transformational impact of Expo finally end the petty bickering that plagues Edmonton and its suburban neighbours, and focus the entire region on something bigger, nobler and grander?

Yes, please.

Coldrsx
Jan 29, 2008, 5:11 PM
Yes, please.

A World's Fair in Edmonton would mean many of these communities would be asking for their fair share of it, both in attractions and capital funding...and the bickering would continue.

newfangled
Jan 29, 2008, 5:16 PM
A World's Fair in Edmonton would mean many of these communities would be asking for their fair share of it, both in attractions and capital funding...and the bickering would continue.

I'm actually more interested in the "bigger, nobler, grander" bit. This potholes and interchanges and "good enough" fixation is boring.

Coldrsx
Jan 29, 2008, 5:26 PM
^and quite prevalent in most cities...

feepa
Jan 29, 2008, 5:30 PM

ya, but the thing is, Edmonton could do the whole worlds fair thing on its own. Why would it have to share with it's neighbors save for leduc/airport?
You kind of lose that whole "autonomous" argument when you want to be part of the greater city. That's why I'm also not too bent out of shape trying to hook up st albert or sherwood park or leduc to the LRT

Coldrsx
Jan 29, 2008, 5:32 PM
^and there in lies the conundrum...

exclude them - more problems

include them - more issues

Mikemike
Jan 29, 2008, 6:13 PM

I would expect very little Bickering. As for attractions, It's easy to show that a worlds fair is a single venue event, and while cordinated events could happen at other venues throughout the region, neither elk island, rabbit hill, nor the valley zoo will be be upgraded for the fair itself, and all significant attractions in Metro edmonton/N Alberta can be included in 'what else to do' literature.

As for peripheral capital funding, I don't think that there is much that could be argued. Infrastructure funding will be directly related to the worlds fair, including an airport rail link, and LRT/road access to the site.

Aylmer
Feb 20, 2008, 12:04 AM
I think Ottawa should (will) host the Expo17' for the reason of Canada's
100th anniversairy...
It would be cool if Edtown hosted the Expo20' right after!

(Since this compromise makes everyone happy, I will add an EXTRA smiley)
(yay.)

rapid_business
Feb 20, 2008, 1:23 AM
I think Ottawa should (will) host the Expo17' for the reason of Canada's
100th anniversairy...
It would be cool if Edtown hosted the Expo20' right after!

(Since this compromise makes everyone happy, I will add an EXTRA smiley)
(yay.)

100th Anniversary? Do you want to google that and edit it so you don't look too foolish? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't 1917...:tup:

noodlenoodle
Feb 20, 2008, 2:05 AM
100th Anniversary? Do you want to google that and edit it so you don't look too foolish? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't 1917...:tup:

Of course your post locks his from editing, forever sealing in the comedy gold like han solo in carbonite.

Coldrsx
Feb 20, 2008, 3:19 AM
hahhaa awesome

rapid_business
Feb 20, 2008, 1:16 PM
Of course your post locks his from editing, forever sealing in the comedy gold like han solo in carbonite.

That was half the point. To make sure he didn't change it and try to make me look foolish.

noodlenoodle
Feb 20, 2008, 1:46 PM
That was half the point. To make sure he didn't change it and try to make me look foolish.

I think he only makes people look foolish by association, not by juxtaposition or contrast.

Edmonchuck
Feb 20, 2008, 4:59 PM

Let me channel Nixon. Let me be PERFECTLY clear.:notacrook:

This will be hosted on ONE site, and that site will be Edmonton. The focus of the dollars will be EDMONTON. Like EXPO 86, outlying communities will benefit from the attendees at the fair, and may receive specific upgrades to facilities, but the biggie will be transit.

Look at EXPO 86. Your answers lie there.

Shodan
Jul 14, 2008, 12:47 PM
Edmonton officials roaming sunny Spain

By MICHELLE THOMPSON, SUN MEDIA

July 14, 2008

City officials are roaming the streets of Spain today, picking up tips on how to win a bid to host a world's fair.

The trip will give council and employees a clearer indication of whether Edmonton would be a suitable host for Expo 2017, said Coun. Jane Batty.

Edmonton is considering entering the race to be Canada's bid city.

"We're exploring the possibilities for making the bid," she said from Zaragoza, Spain. "It's just one of those wonderful opportunities to examine how it's put together."

Batty and a few city employees -- from Edmonton's transportation and planning departments -- will remain in Zaragoza for a few days, speaking with organizers and exploring sites.

Canada's shot at winning the 2017 bid could be promising, given that the country celebrates its 150th birthday that year.

"We've got some great synergy," Batty said.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2008/07/14/pf-6148686.html

IntotheWest
Jul 14, 2008, 10:34 PM

I think your cutting Edmonton short...I think it "deserves" it as much as any other Canadian city. Before Expo '86, I recall Vancouver was just that city on the coast (EDIT: not saying that Expo was the only reason it for it becoming a "world-known" city...but, definitely helped)...and as mentioned, some of the resulting projects that resulted were transforming for the city. Same might be said about Calgary before the Olympics.

I think Edmonton (or Calgary...or Ottawa) are easily ready.

MalcolmTucker
Jul 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
:previous:

Calgary only missed the big 2005 fair by a few votes, I think Edmonton could easily get the smaller fair for 2017.

Coldrsx
Jul 15, 2008, 2:30 AM
I think your cutting Edmonton short...I think it "deserves" it as much as any other Canadian city. Before Expo '86, I recall Vancouver was just that city on the coast (EDIT: not saying that Expo was the only reason it for it becoming a "world-known" city...but, definitely helped)...and as mentioned, some of the resulting projects that resulted were transforming for the city. Same might be said about Calgary before the Olympics.

I think Edmonton (or Calgary...or Ottawa) are easily ready.

We are starting to deserve it more and more...but the whole city/region needs to show me we "deserve" hosting the world.

Daveography
Jul 15, 2008, 3:56 AM
^ I would go so far as to say that we deserve it, but now we need to know it.

Greco Roman
Jul 15, 2008, 5:25 AM
Good to see Edmonton making a bid for this event.

By and by, there is an underground movement organized by some dedicated citizens getting the ball rolling to have Winnipeg bid for the 2020 Worlds Fair. I wonder if other Canadian cities are planning to bid aswell?

Shodan
Sep 9, 2008, 12:43 PM
Edmonton schmoozing for future Expo bid
Showing the flag in Spain could pay dividends for potential shot at 2017 fair

Gary Lamphier
The Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/idl/edjn/20080909/94754-34437.jpg
CREDIT: Getty Images, File
Fireworks light up the sky during the opening ceremony of the Expo 2008 World Fair on June 13 in Zaragoza, Spain. Edmonton hopes to host the 2017 fair.

EDMONTON - The ancient Spanish city of Zaragoza is a couple thousand years older than Edmonton, and nearly half a world away.

But the host city for Expo 2008, and the would-be Canadian host city for Expo 2017, also boast some surprising similarities.

Zaragoza's population? Roughly 720,000. Edmonton's? About 750,000. Zaragoza ranks as Spain's fifth-largest city. Edmonton is Canada's sixth biggest.

Both cities are provincial capitals located far from the coast, with major river systems -- Zaragoza's River Ebro, Edmonton's North Saskatchewan River -- flowing through them.

Zaragoza isn't well known beyond Spain's borders, and it has long struggled for global recognition. Ditto for Edmonton, which gets a fraction of the media attention lavished on Calgary or Vancouver.

While larger Spanish cities have hosted or bid on major global events -- Barcelona had the 1992 Summer Olympic Games, Seville hosted Expo '92, and Madrid lost its bid to host the 2012 Summer Olympics -- Zaragoza hasn't stepped up to the plate.

Until now.

The same goes for Edmonton. Despite the many high-profile events E-town has hosted over the years, Edmonton -- unlike Calgary, Vancouver or Montreal -- has never sought an event as big or as audacious in scope as an Expo, or an Olympic Games.

Like Zaragoza, Edmonton's day may finally be at hand, however. After touring Expo 2008 in July, city councillor Jane Batty has no doubts Edmonton is ready and able to take the next big step.

"I feel that Edmonton would definitely be able to host an Expo in 2017," she says.

"From what I saw there, I was quite thrilled knowing that we as a city could very successfully put on such a project."

On Wednesday, Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel will lead the third and final delegation of city and provincial officials on a five-day, fact-finding visit to Expo Zaragoza 2008, which wraps up Sunday.

Among other things, Mandel and his cohorts -- including Alberta Aboriginal Relations Minister Gene Zwozdesky, and Tory MLA Thomas Lukaszuk -- will meet with senior members of the Paris-based Bureau International des Expositions, which regulates and sanctions Expo events.

"It's really important for them to know who we are," says Mandel.

"We've had groups of people there through the summer, but this is the end of the fair and they have significant meetings then.

"So our role is to go and schmooze with these people, to tell them about the (proposed) Edmonton bid, and how excited we are about 2017, that it's Canada's 150th birthday, and that we're committed to doing this. To show that we're a player."

Zaragoza's three-month-long event, which ends Sunday after drawing between six million and seven million visitors, is focused on Water and Sustainable Development -- a key theme in a world beset by worries about dwindling fresh water supplies.

More than 100 countries are on hand, along with dozens of private companies and non-governmental groups.

The regional economic impact, and the infrastructure assets left behind for the citizens of Zaragoza to use, are substantial. And then there's the significant media exposure the event has generated.

Of course, Edmonton's proposed bid is still at an early stage. Once Mandel and his group returns and assesses its findings, a full report will be sent to city council in late October.

That's when the city must decide whether it's willing to go to Phase 2 -- preparing a detailed business case for Expo 2017, and competing against other Canadian cities, including Montreal,

Ottawa and Hamilton, to host the event. The deadline for such applications to the federal government is September 2009.

"We have to go back to council in October with all the information we've got, and ask for more money, and then we'll get the province to match it," says Mandel.

"And then we'll begin to develop a more exacting and a more complete vision of what we're going to do. For example, what kind of theme we're going to have, and where (Expo 2017) might be located, and what kind of facilities we might have."

Mandel is a realist. With a federal election underway, he says, it's impossible to know which party will be in power in two months, and how that may influence the choice the feds ultimately make about which Canadian city to support. But he says Edmonton has a great shot.

"We believe Edmonton will put forward, as we always do, an incredible bid that will be tough to challenge against because it will be that good. And when you have a province that is supportive of this, I think we've got a heck of a chance," he says.

Although some say the U of A's bid to host the 2015 World Student Games could nullify hopes of gaining federal support for Edmonton's proposed Expo bid, Mandel dismisses that as a red herring.

"So far we're the only city in Canada that's shown a strong interest in this. That doesn't mean someone isn't going to come out of the woodwork later on. But it's our 150th anniversary, and the West is the new emerging economic powerhouse in this country. To show off the West and what's happening here would be just good business for Canada."

glamphier@thejournal.canwest.com

Copyright © 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=2852e88c-452e-4b8b-ab98-214db47ebd6f&sponsor=

Coldrsx
Sep 9, 2008, 3:09 PM
good article...i think Edmonton will (finally) be ready to host an event of that magnitude come around that year.

MalcolmTucker
Sep 9, 2008, 4:49 PM
The smaller expos are a good size for small cities, you just have to watch the expectation management if people think it will cause a big splash. Even the big mainline Expos, I don't think many people on the street could name the hosts of either of the last two.

How about having it at a reinvigorated muni with the theme "exploration through flight"? hahaha

Shodan
Sep 12, 2008, 12:39 PM
September 12, 2008

E-town could host world fair in 2017

By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU

Bringing the world's fair to the Alberta capital in 2017 is "doable," say officials laying the groundwork for Edmonton's bid.

"From our research a recognized expo is certainly doable for Edmonton, but we're still waiting on our costing information," said Candice Stasynec, an executive director in the city manager's office. "Depending on what that comes in at, it may sway us one way or another."

A local delegation including Stasynec, Mayor Stephen Mandel, MLAs Thomas Lukaszuk and Gene Zwozdesky, Alberta's aboriginal relations minister, among others are in Spain this week, taking in Expo Zaragoza 2008.

Initial cost estimates for a similar event in Edmonton are expected to be made public next month when the matter goes before city council. Political approval would be required before officials move on to the next step, which includes developing potential themes and a location for the fair.

Stasynec said the cost of hosting such an event would "easily" be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

That would require significant contributions from both the federal and provincial governments.

She said Edmonton would host what's called a recognized expo, running three months.

It would not be as large as the expos previously held in Vancouver and Montreal.

"It would create a great opportunity for Edmonton, but we've got a lot of work to do yet," Mandel said.

Mandel suggested possible themes could revolve around energy, multiculturalism or immigration.

Coun. Jane Batty, who was in Spain earlier this summer attending Expo Zaragoza 2008, said four or five possible spots have been identified in the city, but she declined to say which.

Roughly 25 hectares of land would be required.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2008/09/12/pf-6742471.html

Shodan
Sep 12, 2008, 12:41 PM
September 12, 2008

Stephen slips away to Spain
Mandel and his posse are gathering info for 'potential bid' to host World's Fair in 2017

By NEIL WAUGH, EDMONTON SUN

Wait until Bronco finds out what Howie is up to.

Then Dave Bronconnier -the petulant mayor of Alberta's Centre-of-the-Universe City - will really get on his high horse.

Under the smokescreen of the federal election, Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel has slipped away to Zaragoza, Spain.

We are told the mayor's mission is to "gather information" for a "potential bid" to host a World's Fair in 2017.

No press release, of course. Or trip cost disclosure. Apparently it's not required under the loosey goosey spending rules of Edmonton's Liberal/NDP-dominated city council, including several people who used to rage against the provincial Tory machine over secrecy when they were MLAs. Politics is full of ironies.

But because Steady Eddie Stelmach requires his MLAs to declare their frequent flyer points - and two government MLAs are accompanying Mandel and his posse of city hall bureaucrats on the jolly junket to sunny Spain - the sandstone castle kicked out a disclosure document.

In it Edmonton cabinet minister Gene Zwozdesky, minister of aboriginal relations, says his role on the trip is to determine the "risks and benefits" that come with a fair bid.

One of the biggest "risks" Zwoz admits, is getting "support from other levels of government." Mayors don't actually build fairs, they just take the credit.

Considering a World's Fair consists of governments burning up massive amounts of taxpayer dollars on goofy-looking buildings in hopes that enough folks will come to see them so they can recover at least some of the money, "support" is not exactly the politically correct word.

NOT BUILT TO LAST

"Subsidize" is a better fit.

This is especially true when you consider the crazy domes, pyramids and super-sized hockey sticks are built to last for a few months. Then they all get torn down, with the likely exception of one.

That would be Mandel's elusive political legacy - the downtown hockey arena he desperately wants taxpayers to build for Forbes magazine billionaire and Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz.

Edmonton-Castledowns MLA Thomas Lukaszuk showed he's clearly not ready for prime time around Stelmach's cabinet table when he gushed, "The impact of a World's Fair in Edmonton would be a huge significance to our city, our province and to Canada."

The Polish Prince forgot to mention Cowtown, because under Alberta's harsh political code, whatever Edmonton gets, Alberta's Second City also receives a political goody of similar and equal value.

Bronco will make darn sure of that.

Mandel's timing couldn't have been worse. On the day he left town, a city hall committee released a consultant's report that recommended a four per cent per year property tax hike for the next decade to get caught up with crumbling neighbourhood roads and cracked sidewalks, unless "other orders of government partner" with city hall.

A SUBPLOT

Considering inflated construction costs have driven up Edmonton's 23 Avenue interchange to $260 million (with the likelihood of more to come), how many billions will it take to build a bunch of weird, tear-down buildings on the City Centre Airport site in Alberta's super-heated economy?

Yes, folks, there's a subplot here.

Even if Mandel wins the Expo 2017 bid, where do you put the darn thing?

This suddenly explains why the let's-shut-down-the-Muni debate reappeared on the city hall agenda after a lengthy absence, even though it's causing serious fractures in the Alberta PC caucus because of political pressure from rural mayors to not only keep the downtown air harbour open, but to bring back full commercial service.

The long drive in from Leduc is not exactly good for business.

Almost all of the big chunks of land left around the city are tied up by developers, with the exception of one sizeable block where the City Centre Airport is located.

Meanwhile, while Mandel is dreaming big, Finance Minister Iris Evans is reported to be fretting over where the $119-a-barrel oil that she based her first-quarter budget update on a few days ago disappeared to.

I'll bet Bronco is already working on his wish list.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Alberta/2008/09/12/pf-6742491.html

dansk
Sep 12, 2008, 1:16 PM
First article is good. Second one continues to show Edmonton's small dick syndrome.

newfangled
Sep 12, 2008, 1:23 PM
Second one continues to show Edmonton's small dick syndrome.

From Neil Waugh? Gee, I wonder why? :shrug:

He really is not a very happy person, is he? Oh well, at least he's got his clever nicknames to cheer himself up.

S_B_Russell
Sep 12, 2008, 1:46 PM
^"No can do" people like Neil are starting to get old, retire and die, thankfully.

Coldrsx
Sep 12, 2008, 2:59 PM
4-5 sites of 25ha...hmm...

1.muni - please god no
2.UofA south campus? meh
3.river valley? ok
4.millet?

IKAN104
Sep 12, 2008, 3:05 PM
So 25 hectares of land is required for an Expo. Just to give us an idea of the size how big is the City Centre Airport in hectares?

Coldrsx
Sep 12, 2008, 3:12 PM
25ha = 270,000sqft

hilman
Sep 12, 2008, 3:15 PM
According to Wikipedia, "It encompasses approximately 144 acres (58 ha) of land just north of the Edmonton city centre".

hilman
Sep 12, 2008, 3:20 PM
25ha = 270,000sqft

I think you missed a number Cold :P

25 ha = 2,690,967 sq ft or 61.8 acres

Regards

Coldrsx
Sep 12, 2008, 3:22 PM
^haha...that i did.
thanks

bendecido
Sep 13, 2008, 5:04 AM
If this actually happens, could somebody build one of these? Puh-leeeez???

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=65573&rendTypeId=4
From Encyclopædia Britannica Online[/QUOTE]

What? An impressive skyline? Sorry Edmonton. Aint no Expo gonna get that done for ya.

CanadianCentaur
Sep 13, 2008, 8:05 AM
:previous: Not unless they close that fucking airport. Period.

S_B_Russell
Sep 14, 2008, 4:09 PM
Here comes Neil, huffing and puffing...

A fairly dopey concept

By NEIL WAUGH

They say timing is everything in politics.

And if that's true then Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel needs a new watch.Because his decision to disappear to Zaragoza, Spain -- without a peep from the city hall PR machine -- couldn't come at a worse time.

Especially when the purpose of his jolly junket to sunny Arragon was to kick tires for a World's Fair bid for the city in 2017.

A message on the Zaragoza Fair website pretty well says it all about where these extravaganzas now rate with folks, who see more than enough goofy architecture in their own cities without travelling halfway around the world.

Yes, the blurb pronounced, they do still have world's fairs.

But it also revealed that there are a few grassroots efforts to again host a world's fair. One of those grassroots singled out is the City of Edmonton.

'Hayseeds' would be a better way to describe Edmonton city council after taxpayers got hit with another triple whammy last week.

The first came in a consultant's report that claimed property taxpayers will face 4% tax increases for the next decade to repair crumbling neighbourhood roads and sidewalks.

The next was the result of a probe by city auditor David Wiun of why the price tag of the 23 Avenue interchange shot up from $73 to $261 million.Not only were the materials costs wildly underestimated, project planning was largely left in the hands of a junior employee who the report describes as relatively new to the engineering field.

Unbelievable.

If there really is a credible professional engineering organization in this province, they have no choice but to be all over this blunder, especially when Mandel is in Spain pondering the risks and benefits of a fair, which would last only a few months, but likely cost billions to build in Alberta's super-heated economy.

Then it was revealed that the city administration is now $12.6 million over budget and spending cuts are coming.

This is not exactly the magic moment to start talking about frills like a fair.

Making matters worse, Mandel and his committee haven't come clean about where the fair will go.

The only piece of city real estate that appears big enough are the controversial city centre airport lands -- while the mayor still hasn't revealed how he intends to build a new hockey arena for Oilers owner Daryl Katz and not raise taxes.

Except maybe he now has. The presence of two Alberta PC MLAs on the mayor's airplane further adds to the suspicion of a done deal, especially when Edmonton-Castledowns Tory Thomas Lukaszuk gushed: "The impact of a world's fair in Edmonton would be of huge significance."

It would also present taxpayers from all levels of government with a huge bill. And there's only one taxpayer.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/Comment/Commentary/2008/09/14/6762166-sun.html

feepa
Sep 14, 2008, 6:30 PM
Can we trade Null Void to the Calgary Sun for a few sticks and stones?

(sticks and stones to arrive first before Null's departure...)

S_B_Russell
Sep 14, 2008, 7:22 PM
Stolen from Norm Macdonald's tribute to Bob Saget:

Neil, you have a lot of well-wishers. They wish they could throw you down a well. Hey-yo!.

Shodan
Oct 23, 2008, 6:07 PM
Expo 2017 bid should go forward: report
Next step would be for Edmonton to spend $2.3 million on detailed business case

Gordon Kent
edmontonjournal.com

Thursday, October 23, 2008

EDMONTON - Edmonton should move ahead with a proposal to host Expo 2017 by spending $2.3 million next year to develop a detailed business case and national bid for the project, a city report recommends.

The money, which needs to be matched by the provincial government, would be the first big step toward winning a world event that would now cost about $1.6 billion to $3 billion to stage, says the report released today.

Although the conceptual study doesn't suggest locations, it says an officially recognized Expo site can't be larger than 25 hectares, far smaller than the 216-hectare City Centre Airport, although an extra 50 hectare to 75 hectare support area would also be needed.

The show would likely include pavilions, cultural venues, parks and internal transportation.

The expected attendance for a three-month summer event, which would be an opportunity to mark Canada's 150th birthday, is 4.7 million visits, creating an estimated Alberta economic impact of $1.8 billion to $2.6 billion.

"There is a need for a theme, a site and a plan to leverage Expo from a three-month opportunity into a lasting legacy that permanently contributes to Alberta's capital city," the report says.

It will take about one year to developed the detailed business case for a national bid, which faces possible competition from other cities such as Montreal, Hamilton and Ottawa.

The issue will be discussed next Wednesday by city council.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

© Edmonton Journal 2008

CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=3ed32409-3bb8-46f6-a4d7-8cc6e140b6e3

----------------------------------------------------

What would be a good theme for the Edmonton Expo? Let's hear some ideas! :banana:

Kevin_foster
Oct 23, 2008, 6:47 PM
What would be a good theme for the Edmonton Expo? Let's hear some ideas! :banana:

World Wide Weldin' Expo???

Coldrsx
Oct 23, 2008, 7:14 PM
'It's Cooler here'

Xelebes
Oct 23, 2008, 9:23 PM
'It's Cooler here'

"It's cooler here; bugger off Winnipeg."

tarapoto
Oct 24, 2008, 3:32 AM
How about:

Edmonton World Fair - "Where in the world is Edmonton?"

Shodan
Oct 24, 2008, 4:28 AM
Edmonton: We're Not Just Another Suburb North Of Airdrie

Edmonton: Refinery Row Revolution

Edmonton: The Mother Of All River Valleys

Edmonton: Groat Road - The 8th Wonder of the World

Edmonton: The Downtown That Looks Like A Mesa (from a distance)

Edmonton: Home of the Royal Nisku Institute for Advanced Pipefitting Studies

Edmonton: Where the Yellow Head Drowns in the White Mud

Edmonton: Home of The Grandest Scientific Experiment since the Hadron Collider: Sherwood Park

Etc. :jester:

But seriously folks, interesting link to Wiki re: World's Fairs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_fair

Greco Roman
Oct 24, 2008, 4:33 AM
"It's cooler here; bugger off Winnipeg."

You mean, bugger of Calgary. Winnipeg is way cooler ;)

Shodan
Oct 24, 2008, 4:36 AM
For their World Fairs:

Paris has the Eiffel Tower

Seattle has the Space Needle

We should have.......a Giant Baseball Bat......

Oh, we already have one......my mistake....:shrug:

Shodan
Oct 24, 2008, 12:26 PM
City gears up for Expo Bid
World's fair could lure a million, but cost billions

Gordon Kent
The Edmonton Journal

Friday, October 24, 2008

EDMONTON - Edmonton is moving ahead with the biggest event in the city's history after a committee recommended Thursday putting together detailed information for a bid to host Expo 2017.

Staging the world's fair would cost an estimated $1.6 billion to $2.3 billion, draw more than one million tourists to the city and could require up to 40,000 volunteers, but Coun. Karen Leibovici said Edmonton has the capacity to pull it off.

"Some of you may be thinking this might not be the best time, given the budget ... but while it's the role of council to ensure we consider the needs of the day, we also know that we need to look ahead and plan and dream for the future," she told a news conference.

"At the core of all of that is the belief that we're a truly great city, and this will help galvanize us toward that vision."

International rules restrict such fairs to a 25-hectare site, but another 50 to 75 hectares would be needed for outside support services, according to a report supported by a 40-member committee of business and community leaders.

They concluded Edmonton is better positioned to try for a smaller "recognized" Expo rather than the larger "registered" event scheduled for 2020.

While potential sites weren't discussed, it says the ideal location "should offer picturesque, attractive and complimentary views of the host city ... the availability and proximity of green space, water features and other natural elements should be considered."

The 90-day summer event, an opportunity to mark Canada's 150th birthday, would have an expected attendance of 4.7 million.

It would feature pavilions showcasing other nations, non-governmental organizations and corporations, as well as a variety of arts and cultural performances, all following such possible themes as human environmental impact, human movement, the Arctic or global migration.

"There is a need for a theme, a site and a plan to leverage Expo from a three-month opportunity into a lasting legacy that permanently contributes to Alberta's capital city," the report says.

Most of the new roads, transit, housing and other improvements required for the fair would already be part of Edmonton's long-term plans, but built much sooner than expected, city manager Al Maurer said.

That will require support from other levels of government before deciding to go ahead, he said.

"If the lion's share (of the funding) is the City of Edmonton, you probably know what the answer is now. We do need other partners."

The next step is a $4.5-million study outlining the costs, theme, site, economic impact and other details needed so Edmonton can become the Canadian nominee for the fair over such possible rivals as Montreal, Ottawa and Hamilton.

The proposal, which will be discussed by city council next Wednesday, suggests splitting the expense with the provincial government.

The total cost if Edmonton reaches international bidding is estimated at $22.5 million. A final decision on the host city is expected in 2012.

Candice Stasynec, an executive director in Maurer's office, visited this year's $3.3-billion Expo in Zaragoza, Spain, along with Mayor Stephen Mandel and other city officials.

The Spanish organizers used 40,000 volunteers, many of them students, she said. By comparison, Edmonton's 10-day World Master's Games in 2005 needed 5,000 volunteers.

"This would be our biggest undertaking to date. They have been feasible in the past. This would stretch us a bit."

Edmonton has already been chosen as the Canadian bidder for the 2015 Summer World University Games. While Stasynec said financing and staging the two events would be "challenging," she thinks the city could do it.

Mandel said hosting an Expo would be a way to market Edmonton around the world.

"I think we have a heck of a chance. It hasn't been to Canada in a lot of years ... it's Canada's 150th birthday," he said.

"It's a great opportunity for the city. We have to seize the moment for things that are 10 years away."

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=45f74cfe-feea-45e2-a66e-c2a30e10031e&sponsor=

S_B_Russell
Oct 24, 2008, 1:15 PM
Make it so, E-town!

Xelebes
Oct 24, 2008, 5:01 PM
You mean, bugger of Calgary. Winnipeg is way cooler ;)

I said what I meant.

Greco Roman
Oct 24, 2008, 5:58 PM
I said what I meant.

So did I.

Edmonchuck
Oct 24, 2008, 6:11 PM
love the positive energy here...

Great Dane
Oct 24, 2008, 6:26 PM
This is great news.

Edmonton is rounding that corner ever so slightly. Hopefully the bid is strong and makes it to the international level.

Now we just need to close the Muni.

Edmonchuck
Oct 25, 2008, 12:15 AM
the bid IS strong...

Coldrsx
Oct 29, 2008, 7:18 PM
Edmonton to proceed with Expo 2017 bid
Gordon Kent, edmontonjournal.com
Published: 1:16 pm
EDMONTON - Edmonton will make a pitch to hold Expo 2017 after councillors unanimously agreed today to kick in half the $4.5 million needed to prepare a bid to become Canada's nominee for the event.
"As a city we can't be stagnant, we have to grow, we have to move ahead, even in hard times," Coun. Karen Leibovici said.
"There has to be a light at the end of the tunnel."

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:

The rest of the bid money for this phase is being requested from the provincial government, which Mayor Stephen Mandel said supports Edmonton's plans.
The world's fair, which would mark the 150th anniversary of Confederation, has an estimated $2.3-billion cost and is expected to attract 4.7 million visitors, according to a conceptual report.
It would feature pavilions from other countries, non-governmental agencies and companies, along with arts and cultural displays, on a site of up to 25 hectares.
City manager Al Maurer said the big benefit to Edmonton would be the construction of LRT, housing and other infrastructure years ahead of schedule and funded primarily by the two other levels of government.
The deadline for putting in a bid to be Canada's nominee for the project is fall 2009, with a decision likely to be made in time for the winning city to be represented in the Canadian pavilion at the 2010 Expo in Shanghai.
The total cost of a bid all the way to the international level is estimated at $22.5 million. Mandel told councillors who are unsure about the project that they can't later pull the plug if Edmonton's pitch is successful.
---
What are your thoughts on the Expo 2017 bid? Have you say in our Sound Off!

© Edmonton Journal 2008
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=b13c610a-13fc-4ae7-8f20-4ec29cf4064e

0773|=\
Oct 29, 2008, 9:23 PM
The sound-off comments from the link are so typical.

I have to resist the temptation of thinking that I can convert those people one-by-one...

Shodan
Oct 30, 2008, 12:38 PM
Council approves $2.3M for Expo bid
Detailed research requires province to match cash

Gordon Kent, with files from Archie McLean
The Edmonton Journal

Thursday, October 30, 2008

EDMONTON - Edmonton will try to secure Expo 2017 after city council unanimously agreed Wednesday to spend $2.3 million on a bid to become Canada's nominee for the world's fair.

While some councillors expressed concern at the cost and the project's potential impact on Edmonton's long-term plans, Mayor Stephen Mandel cautioned that if the bid succeeds, the city can't back out.

"Once we commit to this, let's not fool ourselves, we will be committed to go on to the next step."

The money, which must still be matched by the province, will pay for detailed research and a national bid against such potential rivals as Montreal, Ottawa and Hamilton, although Mandel said none of the other centres has done as much work as Edmonton.

The fair, being held during the 150th anniversary of Confederation, has an estimated $1.6-billion to $2.3-billion cost, and is expected to attract 4.7 million visitors, a report says.

It would feature pavilions from other countries, non-governmental agencies and companies, along with arts and cultural displays.

"If we continue to be cautious, if we continue to be timid, we can't complain if down the road other cities have surpassed us. I have no doubt in my mind that we can pull it off," Coun. Ben Henderson said.

"The only thing that holds us back is our own over-caution at times. I'm hoping we have the guts to look into the future and make decisions, not on this year or next year, but what the city will look like in 20, 30, 40, 50 years."

City manager Al Maurer said the three-month fair would see LRT, housing and other infrastructure built years ahead of schedule with money supplied primarily by the two senior levels of government.

It would also give Edmonton's profile a huge boost, he said.

Last summer's Expo in Zaragoza, Spain, allowed that city to develop its river valley park system and complete a high-speed train station, among other projects.

Coun. Karen Liebovici teared up as she recalled visiting Expo 67 daily when she was a teenager growing up in Montreal.

"It brought the world to the doorstep of Montreal and to my doorstep. I think it's very important -- I'm actually getting emotional, too," she said.

"Expo is not like Capital Ex. It's a showcase for international knowledge, it's a showcase for new inventions and it's a showcase for us in the city."

The deadline for putting in a proposal to be the country's applicant for the project is fall 2009, with a decision likely to be made in time for the winner to be represented in the Canadian pavilion at the 2010 Shanghai Expo.

The total cost of a bid all the way to the international level is estimated at

$22.5 million, which is intended to be shared by other levels of government and corporate sponsors.

Alberta Culture Minister Lindsay Blackett said he hasn't had in-depth discussions with city officials about the proposal.

"We know their interest and we've expressed some interest in supporting it, but we haven't talked about dollars and cents yet."

EXPO FACTS

- Expo 2017 would be the largest event yet held in Edmonton.

- The city is bidding on the smaller "recognized" category of Expo, which run for up to three months, cover a maximum of 25 hectares and may attract up to 20 million visits; the larger "registered" category can be unlimited in size, last six months and draw up to 70 million people.

- While it would be an estimated $700-million cheaper to stage the event on farmland rather than underused industrial or commercial property, the site must be attractive, have nearby transit and utility services, and be good for housing, park or other uses when the fair ends.

- No decisions have been made about a location, theme or other details.

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=70376000-6f84-48d7-84b9-9d135ecf5743&sponsor=

240glt
Oct 30, 2008, 3:39 PM
Just reviewing the Expo documents on the COE site.. there's still no real firm talk of a venue.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the Muni site is where it would be ?

Coldrsx
Oct 30, 2008, 4:59 PM
^i suspect so but i hope not to be honest... but where else would you be able to do such a thing right.... unless... ROSSDALE!

240glt
Oct 30, 2008, 5:11 PM
^ ooo. I never even thought of that.

Rossdale would be an awesome venue.

Coldrsx
Oct 30, 2008, 5:16 PM
^but limited transit access and NIMBYS and even the venue size required means likely not.... but imagine a new bridge with active parts to it, a converted power plant, and the lower area redeveloped along with a new iconic museum on the bank.

feepa
Oct 30, 2008, 8:31 PM
Just reviewing the Expo documents on the COE site.. there's still no real firm talk of a venue.

Just because I was thinking that a link would be handy...

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/news/edmonton-expo.aspx

Edmonchuck
Oct 30, 2008, 9:29 PM

No, there are 3 firm site alternatives, and about 5 not so firm ones.

The Muni is but one, and in reality, not the forerunner at this time of pontification and dreaming.

Coldrsx
Oct 30, 2008, 9:35 PM
Stelly just said this is NOT a priority for funding...

Edmonchuck
Oct 30, 2008, 10:07 PM
Yup, and I think he is playing politics. Announcing this with the media hyping up a crisis probably does not mean good news for him. OR, there is still a bit of a pissing match between the province and the city, and this is a good embarrassment.

SHOFEAR
Oct 30, 2008, 10:11 PM
Will my Rossdale dream come true?

Edmonchuck
Oct 30, 2008, 10:18 PM
I think people need to take Ed's comment in stride.

The question from the reporter:

The city wants not only $2 million, but will ask the province to be guarantor which may cost a couple billion,. Are you prepared to do that?

“Not at this time. We made a commitment to Universiade. Anything further from here has to be further reviewed. Today I can tell you our priorities are health, education, infrastructure and we have to be careful making further commitments down the road.

“If there are improvements in our economy generally across Canada and some predictability in the markets, then that’s fine. But we’ve made significant commitments over the last number of months. Commitment to seniors, commitment to crime, and those are our priorities for the government.”

So, what he said is that there is no firm commitment to the BILLION, not the 2.25 million...

Kevin_foster
Oct 30, 2008, 10:29 PM
Will my giant Swiss Chalet dream finally come true?

I can see it now.

Swiss Chalet(tm) Tower of Champions!! It would look much like the Calgary tower, but instead of a typical roundhouse on top, it would be a chicken body.

Shodan
Oct 31, 2008, 12:37 PM
As some kind of "Expo legacy," I think High Level Bridge should have a restaurant right in the middle of it, just like the Esplanade Riel Bridge in Winterpeg...

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/ImgGalleryTn/70/25470/7344_29012.jpg
photoanswers.co.uk

Maybe it could be a Timmy's? :rolleyes:

But seriously, folks.....

Ed cool to Expo cash
Edmonton bid for world's fair not a priority of province, says premier

By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU - October 31, 2008

Premier Ed Stelmach says bringing Expo 2017 to Edmonton isn't a priority of his, nor is sinking wads of money into a bid at a time when the national economy is sluggish.

"We made a commitment to Universiade. Anything further from here has to be thoroughly reviewed," Stelmach told reporters yesterday.

The premier was referring to the 2015 Summer World University Games, an event Edmonton is vying for and the province supports.

"Today I can tell you our priorities are health, education, infrastructure, and we have to be very careful in making commitments further down the road," Stelmach cautioned.

He said that may change if there are improvements in the economy and "some predictability in the markets."

Edmonton needs an immediate $2.25-million injection from the province before it can move to the next stage of the Expo bid process, which involves developing a detailed business plan.

City council voted this week to pony up a matching contribution.

However, hundreds of millions of dollars - if not more - will be needed from the Alberta government over time to stage an event that could come with an estimated price tag of up to $3 billion.

Some of that is also expected to be covered by the federal government and corporate sponsors.

The four-year bid process alone is estimated to cost $22.5 million, according to city number crunchers.

Mayor Stephen Mandel said he hasn't been told no by Stelmach.

"We have every indication that the province will be supportive of our bid and we'll hear what they say," he said.

"We would expect some support but if they decide not to then we'd obviously not be able to go ahead with the bid because it's not feasible to do it without provincial support."

Coun. Karen Leibovici, whose council portfolio includes getting Expo, said the city hasn't even had a chance yet to present its latest proposal to provincial officials.

"(Stelmach) needs to see what the full package is and what the actual ask is. We still need to make that formal ask and see how things roll out in the next month or so."

There are two types of expos - registered, which are larger and run six months, and recognized, which are smaller and run three months. Edmonton is seeking to host a recognized expo.

The expo site would require 25 hectares of land. It's unclear where in the city it would be held, but the land the City Centre Airport sits on has not been ruled out.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2008/10/31/pf-7259851.html

Shodan
Oct 31, 2008, 12:40 PM
Will my giant Swiss Chalet dream finally come true?

I can see it now.

Swiss Chalet(tm) Tower of Champions!! It would look much like the Calgary tower, but instead of a typical roundhouse on top, it would be a chicken body.

....A roasted half-chicken body....:tup: