PDA

View Full Version : 80,000 Olympic license plates purchased

mr.x
Jan 23, 2008, 3:38 AM
80,000 British Columbians have bought Olympic licence plates

Sun News Services
Published: Tuesday, January 22, 2008

VANCOUVER - More than 80,000 British Columbians have bought 2010 Olympic Winter Games licence plates since they went on sale in April, and a Kamloops man has won a new vehicle for taking part in ICBC's Show Your Support to Win promotion.

ICBC hopes to sell 100,000 plates by April, with net proceeds supporting the Canadian Olympic team and the staging of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

The program is part of ICBC's commitment as an "official supporter" of the Games in the motor vehicle insurance category.

Allen Reiffer of Kamloops received his 2008 Pontiac Vibe on Tuesday.

The grand-prize vehicle, valued at $22,900, was donated by the Pontiac Dealers of B.C.

Reiffer, a 54 year-old retail store manager, says he's received lots of compliments on his 2010 plate, which he purchased in July.

Reiffer has a history of Olympic luck; in 1988, he won a contest to attend the closing ceremony of the Calgary Olympic Winter Games.

Olympic licence plates can be purchased from Autoplan brokers for an initial fee of $35, with an annual renewal fee of $25 until 2012.

They are available for passenger vehicles, motor homes, commercial trucks, commercial trailers, farm trucks, motorcycles and utility trailers.

The number makes sense....I'm seeing them everywhere these days.

SpongeG
Jan 23, 2008, 4:48 AM
i was thinking of getting one but i haven't gotten around to it

cjohnny4
Jan 23, 2008, 7:00 AM
Who designed the Olympic plates? They are a complete graphic design train wreck...the yellow lettering is practically invisible against the busy mountain background. From a distance, they just look like a mish-mash of incomprehensible vomit. Even close up, you can't read the lettering. Did any thought all go into these at the design stage?

Innersoul1
Jan 23, 2008, 6:42 PM
Who designed the Olympic plates? They are a complete graphic design train wreck...the yellow lettering is practically invisible against the busy mountain background. From a distance, they just look like a mish-mash of incomprehensible vomit. Even close up, you can't read the lettering. Did any thought all go into these at the design stage?

I must agree! I like seeing the plates around here in Calgary but REALLy it is a mish-mash....the background is quite busy! Personally, my first thought was the green blue and white look. When I wnet to try and google images I found that somone on Skyscrapercity had already dreamed this up (great minds think alike LOL :notacrook: )

I think this would be ACES!

Using this:
http://vancouver2010.com/template_images/interface/common/rightSide_look_panel.gif

To Make this:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/spyro2/Plate.jpg

Insert the 2010 logo in the middle and I think that you are READY TO ROCK!!!

deasine
Jan 23, 2008, 8:06 PM
that looks so much better

mr.x
Jan 23, 2008, 8:45 PM
Instead of the B.C. rising sun emblem, the 2010 logo should be there......and i agree, i like that much more.

Nutterbug
Jan 27, 2008, 2:17 AM
Bad idea.

Dark on white is the best for visibility, and should not be cluttered with other pictures or colours. It's too important to compromise for the almighty buck.

The most modification they should have made to it was just replacing the Expo flag logo in the middle with the Olympic logo, or something to that effect.