PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XLII in Phoenix/Glendale Thread

Pages : [1] 2

PHX31
Jan 13, 2008, 5:02 PM
So, with the Super Bowl quickly approaching, I thought it might be good to put up a thread to inform residents here and abroad of the activities. It might be useful for us Phoenicians to know of the events that are going on, as well as the headaches that go along with it.

We hear all about other large happenings and the economic windfall they'll bring to other cities (ie, the DNC in Denver), but there's nothing bigger and better for the local economy than the Super Bowl.

A good start is this article from the AZ Rep mentioning how while the game will be played in Glendale, the hub of the event is Downtown Phoenix.

Phoenix: Super Bowl's hub away from stadium
Jahna Berry
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 13, 2008 12:00 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/superbowl/ent/articles/0113sb-phoenix0113.html

[Glendale can lay claim to the Big Game on Feb. 3, but downtown Phoenix will be buzzing during Super Bowl week.

Some downtown high-rises will get a Super Bowl-themed makeover, like the Hyatt Regency Phoenix did on Thursday when crews put a huge NFL emblem on the hotel.

A three-day downtown block party is on tap. Nightspots are bracing for crowds, exclusive charity events are in the works and celebrity-sighting possibilities abound.

On top of that, more than 3,000 journalists from around the globe will be working at the Phoenix Convention Center, the official media center for the Super Bowl. NFL officials have taken over the Hyatt.

While it's hard to pin down how many people will come to downtown Phoenix, the Valley expects to see up to 150,000 visitors and $200 million in direct spending, said Stephanie Heckathorne, media relations manager for the Greater Phoenix Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Phoenix, however, will be a key Super Bowl hub, a Super Bowl official said.

"I envision two key central-focal points for Super Bowl XLII for the whole week - downtown Phoenix and the (Glendale) stadium," said Bob Sullivan, president of the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee.

"Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa - they all have events, but those two are the biggest footprints where it will be visually impossible to not know that the Super Bowl is here."

That's what bar and restaurant owners are hoping.

Bill Smith, who owns a bar and several downtown restaurants, including Stoudemire's, expects thousands of people to Phoenix during game week.

Suns star Amaré Stoudemire will host a Jan. 31 "Welcome to Phoenix" party at the restaurant that bears his name. There may be other celebrity hosts at the restaurant the rest of the weekend, Smith said.

The game will showcase downtown Phoenix to tourists as well as locals who don't come often, he said.

"My hope is that people will come down and see that there is a lot going on," Smith said.

Meanwhile, Majerle's, a sports bar in downtown Phoenix, is hosting a three-day block party on First Street, during game week. The party will have DJs spinning on Jan. 31 and plans to have live music that Feb. 1 and 2, said Cathie Ruiz, Majerle's Sports Grill manager.

Concerts will be another big draw.

Shows are planned throughout the Valley, and Phoenix will have its share of the stars. Latin pop mega star Alejandra Guzman is a headliner for the Jan. 26 "Super Fiesta" concert at the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix.

A gospel concert will bring Patti LaBelle and Donnie McClurkin to Phoenix Symphony Hall on Jan. 31. Rap star Ludacris will be the big draw at a Feb. 2 show at the Celebrity Theatre.

Orange-shirted Ambassadors will have up-to-the minute information about Phoenix events, parking and other information for visitors, said Terry Madeksza, director of operations for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership.

One thing that an Ambassador probably can't do: find a vacant downtown Phoenix hotel room during Super Bowl week.

Downtown hotels are sold out, said Heckathorne, the tourism official.

"If you can find a hotel room," she joked, "let me know."

HX_Guy
Jan 13, 2008, 5:26 PM
I'm going to make the assumption that all downtown restaurants will be changing their hours during Super Bowl week, right? Has anyone heard anything related to this?

vertex
Jan 13, 2008, 5:47 PM
Don't know about individual restaurant hours, but I'll bet everyone is glad closing time is now 2:00am, as opposed to 1:00am back in '96.

PHX
Jan 13, 2008, 7:18 PM
It is unbelievable how negative the people are that comment on the articles on AZcentral.

HooverDam
Jan 13, 2008, 8:09 PM
It is unbelievable how negative the people are that comment on the articles on AZcentral.

Generally speaking, people who comment on sites like AzCentral, IMDB, Youtube, et cetera are cretins of the highest order. There ought to be a button, if you hit 'comment' a gun pops out of your computer and blows your brains out.

Upward
Jan 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
Was the Sheraton originally planned to be open in time for the Super Bowl? Since it's so near completion (at least that's how it looked to me last month), it's quite a shame that it can't be open in time for the game.

Tfom
Jan 13, 2008, 11:59 PM
Generally speaking, people who comment on sites like AzCentral, IMDB, Youtube, et cetera are cretins of the highest order. There ought to be a button, if you hit 'comment' a gun pops out of your computer and blows your brains out.

I was going to suggest electrocution through the keyboard, but I will compromise and go for the gun popping computer as long as it has the same result.

wrendog
Jan 14, 2008, 1:35 AM
Go whoever plays the Patriots!

PHX31
Jan 14, 2008, 2:17 AM
It's a shame that the high-rise and loft tour as organized by Will Daly (as reported by Soleri) cannot be held on Super Bowl weekend. With all of the fans and media people, etc., in town, many staying downtown, it would be seem to be pretty beneficial to showcase those property to the out-of-towners... especially if it is New England vs. Green Bay (or NY), with all of those bad-weather people seeing our nice weather, they may be enticed to buy something here for the winters.

HooverDam
Jan 14, 2008, 2:39 AM
Was the Sheraton originally planned to be open in time for the Super Bowl? Since it's so near completion (at least that's how it looked to me last month), it's quite a shame that it can't be open in time for the game.

Nope, just the outside of it is nearly done, its still got a ways to go. The Sheraton is slated to open at the same time as the Convention Center in late '08 (along w/ light rail).

EDIT: Ug, Im now completely disinterested in the game itself. Its most likely going to be Patriots-Packers or Patriots-Giants, both match ups are completely uninteresting to me. I hope San Diego can upset N.E., they're the only remaining team I don't hate

Buckeye Native 001
Jan 14, 2008, 4:27 AM
I'll probably be the only person trying to get out of Phoenix that weekend (Super Bowl party in California, go figure)

tempedude
Jan 14, 2008, 6:07 AM
I'll probably be the only person trying to get out of Phoenix that weekend (Super Bowl party in California, go figure)

Go then sir..."buckeye native" ..enjoy

Archdevil
Jan 14, 2008, 5:50 PM

I honestly feel like moving after I read comments from that site. Sure sometimes they are funny but most of the time they are just sad!! I just find it hard to believe that there are so many people who think like that. The most memorable being the people who posted on an article about a new highrise condo. One suggested that highrise towers only bring drugs, crime and terrorist attacks. The amount of people that agreed was scary. Ignorance is a sad thing.

®uger
Jan 14, 2008, 6:34 PM
I can't think of a more pleasent place to have the SB. We know one thing, the weather will be great and it's going to be a shot in the arm for AZ. Think of the positives, money, great shots of your city and FOOTBALL! Good luck and I look forward to seeing the Giants and New England there ;)

PHX31
Jan 14, 2008, 6:46 PM
Anyone else think about how the FBR open (formerly Phoenix Open) is that weekend too? That event is completely nuts by itself (hundreds of thousands of specators attend that event), but throw in the Super Bowl that weekend as well, and it is a perfect storm for Phoenix. Not only the exposure, but the two will feed off each other. It will give Super Bowl goers an additional event to attend. This Super Bowl won't be anything like South Florida (all the clubs), but I think all visitors will have an enjoyable experience... which is definitely a good thing (unlike when it was cold and miserable in Detroit a couple of years ago and I heard a lot of bad about that Super Bowl).

HX_Guy
Jan 14, 2008, 6:49 PM
Aren't they expecting something like 150,000 visitors to Phoenix? That will be great for the area as most people who come and visit Phoenix love it, if even 1% decide to make this their new home or second home, that will help out our housing market and economy greatly.

blm3034L!fe
Jan 14, 2008, 7:38 PM
Go whoever plays the Patriots!

That's what I am talking about Wren!!!

IMHO Tom Brady looks like he has down syndrome? Or might possibly be a missing link? Seriously...

SLCforme
Jan 14, 2008, 10:31 PM
:previous: :haha: yeah, that's what I've been thinking, Tom Brady looks like the missing link! And it bugs me because 2 girls I know from Boston are completely infatuated with him. He's such a tool. I hope Eric Weddle intercepts 2 of his passes next week and sacks his ass 3 times (Weddle is a rookie out of Utah, so I cheer for him and for San Diego now). I just hope they lose to somebody, anybody.

FrancoRey
Jan 14, 2008, 10:52 PM
Double, and double!

PHX31
Jan 14, 2008, 11:05 PM
WOW, BLM & SLCforme... I've never seen more blatant jealousy in my life! now, back on topic. :whip:

Archdevil
Jan 15, 2008, 5:06 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like we are getting our second Super Bowl about 1 year early. I think we would be much better off with the 2009. If it were just one year later all of those visitors would be able to use light rail and the new hotel and convention center. I love that it is going to be here now but I think 09 would have been a better time for Phx to be in the spotlight.

HooverDam
Jan 15, 2008, 5:15 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like we are getting our second Super Bowl about 1 year early. I think we would be much better off with the 2009. If it were just one year later all of those visitors would be able to use light rail and the new hotel and convention center. I love that it is going to be here now but I think 09 would have been a better time for Phx to be in the spotlight.

True, but I think Arizona was just trying to get the game ASAP to capitalize on the new stadium. Arizona will certainly be getting the game soon as the NFL loves warm weather locations, I believe the next game w/ out a city already announced is XLIX (49) in 2015. It was originally slated to go to Kansas City, but since they didn't get the votes to fund improvements to Arrowhead, it won't be going there. By then it'll have been 7 years since the Super Bowl was in Arizona, so I could certainly see 'us' landing it. Heck, by then Light Rail might be connected to UofP Stadium :D

Upward
Jan 15, 2008, 8:25 AM
True, but I think Arizona was just trying to get the game ASAP to capitalize on the new stadium.

Sounds like putting what's best for the stadium and a few related industries ahead of what's best for the city and the state. If the stadium was in Phoenix itself, I bet the Super Bowl bid would have been put off to coincide with the light rail (hell, they might have even sped up construction of that). It would have been like smaller-scale Olympics development.

PhxPavilion
Jan 16, 2008, 2:47 AM
I agree, another blunder for the city and state, fueled by a single greedy individual getting ahead of himself.

HooverDam
Jan 16, 2008, 3:43 AM
Im sorry, I just don't think thats how the world works. The Cardinals can't just be like "meh, no thanks NFL, keep your Super Bowl, we'll take it in '09." Everyone is falling all over themselves to get the game, and the Cards had to show interest early or they could've gotten screwed.

Like I said, don't worry, w/ the new stadium, the warm weather location, and the resort nature of the Valley, we'll see many more Super Bowls here.

PhxPavilion
Jan 16, 2008, 7:08 AM
What does a year later matter when it won't be coming back for another five years minimum?

How could they have gotten screwed in any way, like you said this city has all the makings of a place to be and the NFL knows it. The Super Bowl happens every year and the stadium won't be going anywhere.

®uger
Jan 16, 2008, 7:56 AM
After all is said and done I think this is going to be memorable for you. One of the best things is this new stadium that they get to show off

(Pictures courtesy of Arizona Cardinals)
http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/nfc/cardinalstad955.jpg

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/future/cards901.jpg

One thing that's awesome about this new stadium is that it's a convertable:D Does anyone have any more current pics of it? This was all I could find without staying up past my bed time.

tempedude
Jan 16, 2008, 7:45 PM
^ Here is a more updated shot of the stadium from the air. You can see the midtown skyline of Phoenix some 14 miles away (more or less) in the distance.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/988/uopskylineshotcq8.jpg
Photo Courtesy: Global Spectrum, Managers, University of Phoenix Stadium

Inside shot with stadium full of football fans :)

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/456/universityofphoenixinsibp1.jpg
Photo: Courtesy of the Arizona Cardinals.

Sonoran_Dweller
Jan 21, 2008, 3:46 AM
So it's set: the New England Patriots vs. the New York Giants.

®uger
Jan 21, 2008, 3:54 AM
I can't think of a more pleasent place to have the SB. We know one thing, the weather will be great and it's going to be a shot in the arm for AZ. Think of the positives, money, great shots of your city and FOOTBALL! Good luck and I look forward to seeing the Giants and New England there ;)

HOW DO I DO IT!!!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Sonoran_Dweller
Jan 23, 2008, 5:34 AM
From azcentral.com
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0122phx-sign0122.html

Downtown bank building gets super treatment
Betty Reid
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 22, 2008 04:48 PM

Your eyes are not deceiving you.

An image of the Vince Lombardi Trophy showed up on the downtown Bank of America building Tuesday. It indicates Super Bowl XLII is in Phoenix and two teams will compete for the Lombardi trophy.

"We have done this in the last couple years in Super Bowl host cities," said Brian McCarthy, NFL spokesman. "It is literally to paint the town in Super Bowl colors."

McCarthy said people can expect similar signage to show up on tickets, programs and airports in the region. Bank of America was chosen because it's very high profile and visible building, McCarthy said.

"The natural design of the building also lends itself to the image of trophy," he said.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/778/workersputupasuperbowlsmz4.jpg Workers put up a Super Bowl sign on the Bank of America building Tuesday morning. Mark Henle/The Arizona Republic

HooverDam
Jan 23, 2008, 6:00 AM
^Wow that looks pretty slick, I'll have to check it out in person.

Sonoran_Dweller
Jan 24, 2008, 9:59 PM
Talk about taking advantage of the situation...
From azcentral.com
A big hit to the wallet

Super Bowl guests willing to splurge on a last-minute weekend trip can expect to spend thousands of dollars. Here is a sample of what a visitor could spend during Super Bowl week compared with a similar trip one week later.

Airfare

Round-trip ticket from

Boston to Phoenix:

$2,700

US Airways non-stop flights, departing Jan. 31, returning

Feb. 4.

A week later:

$363

Feb. 8, returning Feb. 11.

Lodging

Four-night stay at Hyatt Place Scottsdale:

$2,800

Four-night minimum at $699 per night, before taxes, as advertised at hyattplace.com.

A week later:

$796

Rate of $199 per night, before taxes, at hyattplace.com.

Car rental

Four-day economy-car rental from Dollar:

$432

Taxes, fees and surcharges not included.

A week later:

$99

Three-day economy-car rental from Dollar

Source: Arizona Republic research
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/superbowl/business/articles/0124SB-inflation0124.html

PhxPavilion
Jan 25, 2008, 9:33 AM
That kind of crap should be outlawed.

HooverDam
Jan 25, 2008, 11:24 AM
That kind of crap should be outlawed.

Why? Wouldn't you do the same if you ran a hotel? If you know people are going to be clamoring to get rooms for a certain date, you'd be a fool not to raise rates.

PhxPavilion
Jan 25, 2008, 9:57 PM
No, I wouldn't gouge people for their money just because I can. If that makes me a fool in the eyes of some so be it, but I know the people buying from me would sure appreciate it and that can get you more business in the long run.

One could argue it is that type of reasoning that has turned this place into the corporate America it has become, big business at the expense of everyone else. Not exactly a model for success with a falling economy lagging behind the rest of the developed world and near a recession.

But this is getting off topic.

Upward
Jan 26, 2008, 6:03 AM
It's just good business to charge more when people are willing to pay more. But, it does seem excessive for that price increase to be 7x!

That all just goes to show how out-of-control professional football is. Compare the Super Bowl to the World Series or the NBA championship. Sure, the tickets are always going to be expensive, but at least in the other sports the venue isn't selected years before it's even known who will be playing. The Super Bowl is a consumption festival for the super-rich, not an event for fans of the teams.

tempedude
Jan 26, 2008, 5:36 PM
I thought this was sort of an interesting article. Thats me though...I like numbers and stats.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 26, 2008 - 5:04AM
Super Bowl chief’s mantra: Don’t screw it up
Mike Branom, Tribune

Pressure is building in anticipation of Super Bowl XLII. The New England Patriots stand on the threshold of history, one win away from the National Football League’s first-ever 19-0 season.

The underdog New York Giants don’t want their surprising playoff run to end as a trivia question’s answer.

And over the next week, 150,000 strangers will scrutinize the Valley for its worthiness as host to the biggest event in American sports. These visitors have expectations: Planes must be on time and parties must be fun. Traffic must be bearable and tee times must be available.

Preparations to meet those demands have been years in the planning, and the man in charge is aware there’s no margin for error.

“We’ve got one shot at this, to really give everyone a 'Wow!’ experience,” said Bob Sullivan, president of the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee.

However, pundits are already sniping at what might go wrong.

An online columnist noted US Airways’ chronic problems with lost luggage and late arrivals could lead to a situation reminiscent of the infamous 1972 crash of a plane in the Andes Mountains of South America.

“People are going to be stuck there for weeks, eating each other to stay alive,” snarked the writer, ESPN.com’s Bill Simmons.

A spokeswoman for the Tempe-based carrier dismissed Simmons’ criticism as “dramatization, at its best,” while acknowledging the company will treat the Super Bowl as it does Thanksgiving, the airline industry’s busiest period.

“I can understand people may be concerned,” spokeswoman Valerie Wunder said. “But we’re going to do everything we can to make sure things go smoothly.”

If law enforcement officials are feeling the pressure of keeping the Valley and visitors safe during Super Bowl week, the strain isn’t showing.

“It really doesn’t compare to when you have a serial criminal preying upon people that we serve,” said Arizona Department of Public Safety Cmdr. Mike Orose, the public safety agencies’ liaison to the NFL and host committee.

A confidence-builder for Sullivan was the fact the Valley did fine when hosting its first Super Bowl, in 1996.

“The NFL still points to that Super Bowl as where many things went right: the community involvement, the turnout,” Sullivan said.

It was the success of Super Bowl XXX, Sullivan added, that convinced the NFL Arizona was prepared for more big games. The only ingredient missing was an adequate venue — taken care of in 2006 with opening of University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

Recent championship games illuminated where cities can go wrong – and right.

Jacksonville, Fla. is nobody’s idea of a cosmopolitan city, but the NFL put Super Bowl XXXIX there anyway. As the smallest municipality to serve as a host city, Jacksonville was so short on hotel rooms, cruise ships were sailed up the St. John’s River to provide temporary lodging.

Still, fans of the Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles found themselves booking rooms more than hour’s drive away.

Detroit, host to Super Bowl XL, also seemed like a foolish choice, given its cold, snowy winters and reputation, deserved or not, as a metropolis beyond its best days by decades.
But those who attended fondly remember Detroit’s hospitality.

“They over-delivered on customer service,” Sullivan said.

Of course, one element that helps determine a quality Super Bowl experience, game aside, is beyond any mortal man’s control.

ESPN broadcaster Trey Wingo, a veteran of 11 Super Bowls, quickly summed up what can ruin the fun: “Weather.”

Eight years ago, in the days before Super Bowl XXXIV, an ice storm pounded Atlanta. That was bad enough, Wingo recalled, but the sports network’s sets were located outside and the city has enough trouble moving people around, even in nice weather.

Wingo used the following words to describe the result: Terrible, miserable, awful, a train wreck. “Nothing against the city of Atlanta,” was his qualifier.

Of course, the lovely Arizona winters are a big reason why we’re hosting Super Bowl XLII. Other factors include our ability to handle a large influx of visitors, our nightlife, our world-class golf courses ...

“We’ve got everything that you would possibly want on a checklist for a Super Bowl,” Sullivan said. “Our challenge is: Don’t screw it up.”

BY THE NUMBERS

8,000: Volunteers have signed up, nearly half of which come from East Valley cities. Many have traveled from out-of-state.

125,000: Out-of-town visitors expected in the Valley.

73,000: Ticket holders for the game.

35,000: Hotel rooms available in the Valley.

19,000: Hotel rooms occupied. The Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee alone has blocked off rooms at 45 hotels across Maricopa County.

3,500: Media members in the Valley.

400: International media members attending the Super Bowl.

$400 mil: The expected economic impact.

300: Police officers on duty on Super Bowl Sunday. The Glendale Police Department is using a majority of its force to patrol the Super Bowl.

1 billion: Television viewers. Fans will tune in from as far away as Tunisia and Nepal.

18,000: Extra vehicles on the road Super Bowl week.

1,600: Limousines on the road Super Bowl week.

1,000: Buses on the road Super Bowl week.

SOURCE: Super Bowl Host Committee
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/107483

Tfom
Jan 27, 2008, 2:13 AM
So I was given tickets to the NFL Experience and I was really amazed. Even though I didn't pay for them, let me say this is one of the first things I have done in a long time that I would say is worth every bit of its ticket price. If you have kids, it is definitely worth it. Just avoid buying food and drink in there and everything is available with your ticket. I am thinking the lines next weekend will be a bit much though.

PhxPavilion
Jan 27, 2008, 11:06 AM
The police and trafficade began blocking off a large square block around the Hyatt and Convention Center West buildings today using those giant concrete barriers! Talk about ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Evo5Boise
Jan 27, 2008, 8:56 PM
This has to be one of the lamest Superbowls I can remember in a long time.

HX_Guy
Jan 27, 2008, 9:00 PM
Huh? The Superbowl hasn't started yet.

How about this weather though? People from the NE were probably expecting to come to sunny Arizona and here it is raining inches...plus it's supposed to rain next Sunday too, so much for having the stadium roof open huh?

Tfom
Jan 27, 2008, 11:09 PM
There's no way they can tell if it going to be raining seven days from now, so I wouldn't worry.

tempedude
Jan 28, 2008, 12:00 AM
This has to be one of the lamest Superbowls I can remember in a long time.
Define lamest super bowl....in what terms?

PHX NATIVE 929
Jan 28, 2008, 8:22 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7729232/Beware-of-wildlife-when-hitting-the-road

PHX31
Jan 28, 2008, 8:39 PM
Lame article. The worst part about the Super Bowl are all of the so-called experts out there giving Phoenix a bad name.

"Let's start with that dateline. OK, the media has been shepherded into downtown Phoenix and the game will be contested in the western suburb of Glendale. Glendale, a truly ambitious town, is home to the University of Phoenix Stadium, which looks something like a load of Jiffy Pop just moments before the payoff.

Anyway, although Glendale is giving its all, you don't want to spend much time there unless you're staying with someone who lives in Glendale and is refusing to charge rent. And if you don't have Suns tickets, downtown Phoenix can be as slow as a refund check."

I just don't get it... it's not even true, it's not even funny, so how does this guy have a job?

Anyway, has anyone else realized that First Friday will occur this Friday right before the Super Bowl? Some out of towners are bound to stumble upon First Friday, so, that's one good thing for downtown.

tempedude
Jan 28, 2008, 8:49 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7729232/Beware-of-wildlife-when-hitting-the-road

the guy who wrote that article is a tool....i want to stuff a fresh hot steaming bag of jiffy pop up his....uh never mind:sly:

Buckeye Native 001
Jan 28, 2008, 8:57 PM
Went to the NFL Experience yesterday (Sunday) with my dad.

First things first, obviously it never crossed minds of the people who set up the exhibit that there could be rain (I don't necessarily fault them, that was one hell of a freak rain shower yesterday), so other than the tents already set up, there wasn't much protection from the rain, and it was pretty damn muddy.

It may be due to the rain, but granted there's "Superbowl XLII" logos plastered all over the Westgate Complex, I didn't really get the feeling, outside of the NFL Experience, that the site will be hosting the biggest event in major sports in less than a week. Maybe its the way UofP Stadium is designed, but they could do some things to spice up the exterior of the building a little bit more with some color (floodlights?), Super Bowl/Giants/Pats banners and whatnot (maybe there's plans to, its just too early?). They could look to the Louisiana Superdome for reference/inspiration (the things they do with floodlights there at night are amazing). There's a large "XLII" marquee outside the main entrance, but other than that, there's not much else going on.

I realize, however, that Westgate still has some more development in the works, and maybe there weren't as many decorations as I thought there'd be because of the rain? If so, my judgement is heavily skewed for that reason.

Anyway, unless you love playing football games on Xbox and Playstation, there's not much else to the NFL Experience. My dad and I went hoping to see some memorabilia and exhibits pertaining to the history of the NFL and the Super Bowl, and what they had was neat, but for those of you who plan on going for that reason alone, its not worth the $17.50 admission. Save up and go visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton Ohio if you're looking for a history lesson.

PhxSprawler
Jan 28, 2008, 9:05 PM
Lame article. The worst part about the Super Bowl are all of the so-called experts out there giving Phoenix a bad name.

Anyway, has anyone else realized that First Friday will occur this Friday right before the Super Bowl? Some out of towners are bound to stumble upon First Friday, so, that's one good thing for downtown.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was a local. As much as the truth hurts, would you recommend Glendale as a must-see destination for out-of-towners visiting for their first time? I know my out-of-town guests are going to be in Scottsdale for nightlife.

Having said that, the downtown Phoenix comment was certainly off. I am sure there will be lines to get in every club and bar downtown during the event. It would be nice if there were more hotels open downtown (like the Sheraton). It sucks that visitors have to stay as far away as Gilbert and Apache Junction just to find a room, especially with the craziness of the FBR Open going on at the same time.

CANUC
Jan 28, 2008, 9:16 PM
This guy if a f@#king tool. Just what we need another reporter rehashing washed out stereotypes on such a large public forum (MSN) in order to pander to his New York and New England cronies. How pathetic, going to lowest common denominator for what purpose? To make idiots coming to Phoenix feel better about the piece of crap towns their leaving behind? Sorry for going on a tangent but we got this crap from the media when Diamond Backs played in the World Series, we got this crap when Phoenix passed Philadelphia in population and now we’re getting this garbage because we are hosting the Super Bowl. My question to this “reporter” would be if it’s so hot, so bad, so dangerous and the wild life continues to eat the populous why do this keep coming?

PHX31
Jan 28, 2008, 9:50 PM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was a local. As much as the truth hurts, would you recommend Glendale as a must-see destination for out-of-towners visiting for their first time? I know my out-of-town guests are going to be in Scottsdale for nightlife.

I would also steer people clear of Glendale.

I was mostly talking about the DT Phoenix reference, and even sort of the Scottsdale references. He obviously knows jack shit about Scottsdale and its nightlife (just based on the clubs/restaurants he mentioned). And he knows even less about Phoenix. I mentioned First Friday because I think that (and the fact there will be a couple Suns games) and several of the new bars/clubs in DT may actually surprise some out-of-towners, especially those given a heavy dose of the "Phoenix sucks and there is nothing to do downtown" pill that people like that writer are spewing. I think all of the media types and people staying downtown might actually leave with a favorable view of downtown.

exit2lef
Jan 28, 2008, 10:48 PM
the guy who wrote that article is a tool....i want to stuff a fresh hot steaming bag of jiffy pop up his....uh never mind:sly:

columnist = journalist - (balance + responsibility + editorial oversight)

There are exceptions, but for the most part I've found this to be true in all media.

Regrettably, he is local. From the Fox site:

"Not only is Randy Hill a FOXSports.com contributor, he calls Phoenix home."

Maybe we can make him repaint the Sheraton as penance for his Phoenix-bashing?

Evo5Boise
Jan 28, 2008, 11:21 PM
Define lamest super bowl....in what terms?

The teams. Not a big Pats supporter and I hate the Giants.

PHX31
Jan 28, 2008, 11:22 PM
http://www.nfl.com/photo/photo-gallery;jsessionid=C7F0A62D28D149E389056D45F9BBD378?chronicleId=09000d5d8064d8ad

Maybe this link will work, maybe not, but there are some cool pictures of the downtown phoenix are (related to super bowl stuff) on nfl.com.

andrewkfromaz
Jan 29, 2008, 3:30 AM
Meanwhile, for those of us Phoenicians who aren't huge football fans, who are rooting for both teams to lose or who would rather do something different for a change, there's this (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/jeffmetcalfe/15655) from the Arizona Republic, containing a few suggestions. Somewhat ironically, none of them are completely incompatible with watching the big game, so we can arrange our schedules accordingly. Or something like that.

Tfom
Jan 29, 2008, 4:40 AM
I read the msn article earlier today and I too found it idiotic. He operated under the assumption all people wanted was to go to nightlife (which scottsdale clearly has). But did he ever think people might be actually be interested in doing anything else. Maybe shopping, Art, Antiques, Hiking, Going to a show? Anything!!? The article should be rewritten and tell the truth. The guy doesnt call Phoenix home, he calls scottsdale home and it was a shameless plug for the city.

HX_Guy
Jan 29, 2008, 5:38 AM
Looks like more and more people are being taken by surprise by how quiet downtown Phoenix is. I know, I know...we do have some bars and restaurants but image people coming from back east where in downtown you have countless shopping, restaurants, and people...and then coming to what we have here, they're probably all scratching theirs heads a bit.

"Phoenix has a sleepy feel on Monday

It kind of feels like the calm before the storm here. We hope, anyway, otherwise it'll be the most subdued Super Bowl in history. Although the volunteers are smiling, helpful and more than adequately prepared, the media center is buzzing and the teams are here in person and already spilling the cliches, things appear a little sleepy still in Phoenix.

I know, I know, it is just Monday. In other words, it's like saying a marathon isn't all that bad after the fourth mile. But downtown Phoenix feels a bit like a ghost town, something straight out of the Wild West, when the bad guys ride down the street looking for trouble but only find dust and tumbleweeds.

All that will change in time, as I'm sure other nearby areas like Tempe and Scottsdale will be peaking soon enough, but I honestly could've heard a pin drop in the streets today. Just thought it odd, even for a Monday."

http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/SuperBowl/2008/01/phoenix_has_a_sleepy_feel_on_m.html

HooverDam
Jan 29, 2008, 6:19 AM
^Meh, it'll be a lot better next time the Super Bowl comes to town. Light Rail Phase 1 will be open and some extensions may be open as well. JSED will hopefully be booming, CityScape will be open, ASU Downtown will be bumping, et cetera. I was kind of surprised to find they put so much stuff in downtown anyway, but I guess its the only place w/ enough convention type space.

EDIT: VV I kinda disagree. Sure the stadium seems like its out in the middle of nowhere right now, but the NW Valley is growing fast. Phoenix is already a multi-hubbed city in the way its developed, so its not like there's no way that area can't develop into another hub. I hope the stretch of Glendale Ave from Downtown Glendale out to the Westgate area can develop and hopefully densify. Eventually light rail will run out to the stadium area, the area will be built up and it'll seem like its right in the middle of everything.

sundevilgrad
Jan 29, 2008, 1:47 PM
All of these opinions just reinforce the fact that Phoenix screwed up big time with the whole stadium thing. The stadium should've been built DT or Tempe, where the infrastructure was already in place and people wouldn't have to drive an hour to get to the damn place.

Downtown_resident
Jan 29, 2008, 3:58 PM
Get ready for it, guys- there should be a fair amount of the "Phoenix isn't a real city" stuff once the Boston and NYC media roll into town.

When the Pats played in Jacksonville three or four years ago the Boston media pummeled J'ville as a city. While Phoenix has a lot more going on than Jacksonville, the east coasters won't be impressed by the horrendous sprawl and a quiet downtown. I'd expect some of the Jacksonville treatment this week, quite frankly.

On that point, I put together a downtown-related tourist guide on my blog and linked to it on the Boston Globe's web site. First Fridays is at the top of the list. Hopefully we can show off downtown's nascent resurgence to at least a few visitors.

http://downtownphoenix.blogspot.com

Archdevil
Jan 29, 2008, 4:55 PM
I am still amazed at how amazing this city looks after a good rain. If you have not been outside today just go take a look. I think that storm just gave Phoenix a nice bath to prepare for the visitors. The sky is so clean. Anyone coming to Phoenix from back East will be leaving freezing rain, snow and highs in the 30's and 40's. Seriously people, it is a little rain but it is still some of the best weather in the country right now. And I'm sure that between Tempe, Scottsdale and Phoenix there will be plenty for people to do. The media is the only place Phx gets a bad name, not sure why but most people that I know don't think like that. I have friends that come from back East to visit and just love the fact that they have a little extra room and love how everything is so new and clean. Why do we let these reporters get to us? They are simply trying to create a stir in order to get attention to themselves.

HX_Guy
Jan 29, 2008, 5:08 PM
I agree about how good the city looks after a good rain, it washes all the dust off of everything and everything just sparkles, looks great.

HX_Guy
Jan 29, 2008, 5:15 PM
Try doing a search on Google for "downtown Phoenix", using the parentheses so it searches for the whole phrase together...some results aren't bad, while others look like this...

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog/132855/

"So let me start by telling you what’s going on in downtown Phoenix: Nothing. Absolute ghost town (see above image of downtown PHX). I have never been to a deader place in my entire life. And I’ve been to places such as Wise, Virginia. Of course, the action is supposed to really be in Glendale (and Scottsdale), but I thought Phoenix was, like, an actual city, or something. I was wrong.

When we went out for dinner last night, you could literally count the amount of fellow humans we encountered (those wearing police uniforms don’t qualify) on our fingers and toes. The only way you’d know that a Super Bowl is going on is the huge NFL logo being projected onto the side of an office building. Actually, come to think of it, that office building is the only way you’d know there is life going on in this area.

Sadly, we ate at Pizzeria Uno’s. Even sadder was that their bar closed at 10PM. "

exit2lef
Jan 29, 2008, 5:36 PM
Try doing a search on Google for "downtown Phoenix", using the parentheses so it searches for the whole phrase together...some results aren't bad, while others look like this...

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog/132855/

"So let me start by telling you what’s going on in downtown Phoenix: Nothing. Absolute ghost town (see above image of downtown PHX). I have never been to a deader place in my entire life. And I’ve been to places such as Wise, Virginia. Of course, the action is supposed to really be in Glendale (and Scottsdale), but I thought Phoenix was, like, an actual city, or something. I was wrong.

When we went out for dinner last night, you could literally count the amount of fellow humans we encountered (those wearing police uniforms don’t qualify) on our fingers and toes. The only way you’d know that a Super Bowl is going on is the huge NFL logo being projected onto the side of an office building. Actually, come to think of it, that office building is the only way you’d know there is life going on in this area.

Sadly, we ate at Pizzeria Uno’s. Even sadder was that their bar closed at 10PM. "

Sad that this blogger ate at Pizzeria Uno, a mediocre national chain. Perhaps he would have felt differently had he eaten at Pizzeria Bianco or any of the more interesting places Downtown. It sounds like he just wandered into the Arizona Center and settled for its brand of mediocrity. I wonder if a hotel concierge gave him a bad recommendation, or if it's just a failure of his own imagination.

tempedude
Jan 29, 2008, 5:43 PM
Sad that this blogger ate at Pizzeria Uno, a mediocre national chain. Perhaps he would have felt differently had he eaten at Pizzeria Bianco or any of the more interesting places Downtown. It sounds like he just wandered into the Arizona Center and settled for its brand of mediocrity. I wonder if a hotel concierge gave him a bad recommendation, or if it's just a failure of his own imagination.

I was thinking the same...he should have eaten at Pizzeria Bianco. A much better choice.

I googled and read some of the blogs HX_Guy suggested. Most are not really all that bad, but there are some like those that have been posted here already. Oh well, we'll have to suck it up and take the bad with the good.

HX_Guy
Jan 29, 2008, 5:45 PM
Pizzaria Bianco is closed on Mondays.

exit2lef
Jan 29, 2008, 5:47 PM
Pizzaria Bianco is closed on Mondays.

True. It would help if I could remember the day of the week. That doesn't let him off the hook, though. I tried post a comment on the blog, but I don't think it took.

combusean
Jan 29, 2008, 5:56 PM
I'm not so worried about what the media impresses upon downtown today so long as it's clear that the project of our downtown is still far from completion. Thank god for good timing that First Friday is on the start of festivities--if the media honchos see 20,000 people they'll see the potential of downtown easily enough and hopefully take that with them for next time.

I'm also glad that the local honchos realize the Superbowl is bigger than any one city and everything is balancing things out so that the individual cities' strong points play out for the benefit of the entire metro. To that effect, I'm not so worried that Scottsdale is getting a lot of coverage because it looks like the real work will get done in Phoenix as the game is played in Glendale.

The next time Phoenix is in the rotation for the Superbowl there's a good chance downtown's current miseries won't be so recognizable.

HX_Guy
Jan 29, 2008, 6:01 PM
I don't know, I'm siding with this guy a little bit.

I don't think he's looking to hate downtown Phoenix, he's just saying it like it is...from the perspective of an outsider. You would think in any large city, when you are staying downtown, that you could walk outside of your hotel lobby and have countless dining choices, among other things like bars or shopping.
When I go visit another city, I don't hop on-line to find the best of the best in the area if I just need a quick bite to eat, I assume since I'm in "the city", I will find more then enough places to choose from.

PhxSprawler
Jan 29, 2008, 6:09 PM
:previous: They forgot to mention that every street seems to be closed off or under construction. I was walking around yesterday during "rush hour." There are signs on every bar and restaurant promoting the Bud Bowl events for the big game.

I saw evidence of a stage going up near the Hyatt and convention center. I assume that is for Dan Majerle's Coors Light block party with Tone Loc, Digital Underground, and Young MC.

I also know if the gospel celebration with Patty LaBelle, Anita Baker, and Gladys Night is going on at Symphony Hall.

Did I miss anything major going on downtown?

exit2lef
Jan 29, 2008, 6:12 PM
I don't know, I'm siding with this guy a little bit.

I don't think he's looking to hate downtown Phoenix, he's just saying it like it is...from the perspective of an outsider. You would think in any large city, when you are staying downtown, that you could walk outside of your hotel lobby and have countless dining choices, among other things like bars or shopping.
When I go visit another city, I don't hop on-line to find the best of the best in the area if I just need a quick bite to eat, I assume since I'm in "the city", I will find more then enough places to choose from.

I see your point, but I think it's naive for any traveler to expect the best restaurants to be obvious. I do research before every trip because I don't want to end up at mediocre chains. This is not a purely Phoenician phenomenon. During recent business trips to both Philadelphia and Baltimore, I would have eaten at mediocre chains if I had settled for what was right by my hotel. Instead, I did some online research, talked to some locals whose opinions I trusted, and found better places a few blocks away.

HX_Guy
Jan 29, 2008, 6:19 PM
Of course, with a little research, you always do better...I agree with you there.

But let's put this to the test...

You're a journalist in town for the Super Bowl. It's Monday night, you're staying in downtown Phoenix, you don't have a rental car...and you would like to get some pizza for dinner.

What would you do? :)

exit2lef
Jan 29, 2008, 6:22 PM
Of course, with a little research, you always do better...I agree with you there.

But let's put this to the test...

You're a journalist in town for the Super Bowl. It's Monday night, you're staying in downtown Phoenix, you don't have a rental car...and you would like to get some pizza for dinner.

What would you do? :)

Cibo (http://www.cibophoenix.com/cibo.html) -- not an obvious place because it's in a renovated house up toward the Roosevelt area, but it would have been revealed via a little research or by a conversation with a good concierge.

HX_Guy
Jan 29, 2008, 6:27 PM
Ah, I thought they were closed on Monday as well, but looks like they are open until 9:00.

I love Cibo, and I hate to criticize it, but for one, that is a pretty early time to close (especially if the guy is complaining that Uno's closed at 10:00) and two, it's about a mile walk from the Hyatt.

exit2lef
Jan 29, 2008, 6:38 PM
Ah, I thought they were closed on Monday as well, but looks like they are open until 9:00.

I love Cibo, and I hate to criticize it, but for one, that is a pretty early time to close (especially if the guy is complaining that Uno's closed at 10:00) and two, it's about a mile walk from the Hyatt.

I've never found Monday to be a lively night in any city. It's tied with Sunday for when most independent businesses take the night off. Sure, I can understand this guy's frustration, but he should have reflected on that and researched a bit before bashing. I'm glad you see his point of view, but I'm not willing to let him off the hook. Agree to disagree on this one.

Tfom
Jan 29, 2008, 9:19 PM
You know the more I think about it, the more I am convinced things will fall into place when people actually live downtown. It all comes down to supply and demand, when there are enough hungry people around dt that want food on sunday or 10 pm on monday, businesses will figure that out.

andrewkfromaz
Jan 30, 2008, 3:11 AM
I went to Pizzeria B tonight, I just got home. First, let me just say mhhmmmmm. Secondly, the line was pretty short, we got in at the beginning of the second seating. Also, downtown was as busy as I've ever seen it this afternoon (around 5) when I was driving around, and the closed-off roads made me a bit cheesed.

Trae
Jan 30, 2008, 4:07 AM
Scottsdale is all over the radio (especially JT The Brick's show).

Sonoran_Dweller
Jan 30, 2008, 4:28 AM
A little off topic, but kind of cool.

http://www.azcentral.com/phpAPP/multimedia/flash.php?path=rtmp://azcentral.com/ent/azr/0129endzonetimelapse_r&HTTP_REFERER=http://www.azcentral.com/
video only about 30 seconds long.

nobody
Jan 30, 2008, 4:59 AM
I'm traveling for work right now, sitting in Scottsdale at my hotel. Never been to the Phoenix area in the winter before - it's actually pretty nice here right now. Leaving on Friday, so I'll miss the super bowl hubub but man you guys are not messing around with this football game.

Yeah random.

HooverDam
Jan 31, 2008, 3:21 PM
Governor Napolitano was on "Doug & Wolf" on KTAR this morning (with Mike D'Antoni on the line at the same time, it was kinda weird) and she talked about the Super Bowl, but also that Arizona is going after the 2012 Super Bowl. I really hope "we" are able to land it, since that would coincide with Arizona's Centennial. I know a lot of work is already being done for the Centennial but to kick that year off with the Super Bowl would make it even more special and I think a lot of really cool stuff could be done.

On a somewhat but not really related topic (I wasn't sure where to discuss this, so this seems a good a place as any), what would people think about Phoenix going after the Olympics? I know some people (idiots) don't like having big events here like the Super Bowl because of things like increased traffic, but I think the Valley does a terrific job of hosting big events, and I think the Olympics here would be amazing.

The 2012 games are already slated to be in London (would've been cool if we could've had the Super Bowl and the Olympics in our Centennial year!), but I believe the location of the 2016 and 2020 games has yet to be determined.

It seems like by that time light rail and perhaps even commuter rail would be up and running (and expanded), connecting the Valley much better for visitors.

The Valley already has tons of sports facilities, and wouldn't have to build a lot of new structures for the games, but rather just upgrade existing structures. It seems to me UofP stadium could be used as the main Olympic stadium, with Chase Field and Sun Devil Stadium also being used for big events. The Tempe Towne Lake could host Crew events.

Wells Fargo Arena, US Airways Center, Jobing.com Arena and a (renovated) Memorial Coliseum would seemingly be more than enough for the indoor events. Plus when you factor in all of the baseball/spring training stadiums around the Valley that could host smaller events (archery or whatever).

To me, it seems the biggest hinderance would be our intense summer heat. Luckily both Chase and UofP have retractable roofs, but events held at Spring Training sites wouldn't have this luxury, and of course just being in town when its so hot is no fun anyhow. I figure though that the games could be played slightly earlier or later than usual, either in the late Spring or early Fall. Perhaps holding it right after Spring Training (i.e. late March-May) would be best, thus you could string the two big events together.

Plus by the time either 2016 or 2020 (which to me, would be the year to shoot for) roll around, it'll have been a long time since the USA held the event (Atlanta 96).

EDIT: VVV Care to expand on why going for the 2020 (or later) Olympics would be a bad idea? I can't think of too many negatives, it seems like a huge boost to our already strong tourism economy, it would encourage redevelopment of older buildings/facilities and would spur a lot more mass transit. Phoenicians may be skeptical of things like light rail, but pitched as part of an Olympic package, I think the general public would be a lot more receptive.

Heck, imagine if by then we had high speed rail running from the Mexican border to the Grand Canyon. Folks from around the world would come to see the Grand Canyon, the Olympics and be able to use a train to experience the rest of Arizona as well.

PHX31
Jan 31, 2008, 4:17 PM
I don't think it is a good idea for Phoenix to get the Olympics... but, the 2012 Super Bowl will be great. The only problem might be that I heard Indianapolis will be going for the 2012 Super Bowl as well, and they are almost done constructing a brand new stadium. That might be some serious competition, especially given the Colts and Peyton Manning's popularity.

Obviously Phoenix is a better location (weather, overall experience, hotels/resorts/Proximity of outdoor recreation (especially during the Winter), Scottsdale clubs, etc.)... but they did give it to Detroit a couple of years ago. Ultimately, the Super Bowl should be on a rotation (like the College FB NC)... it should be Miami, New Orleans, San Diego, and Phoenix... but if that doesn't happen, Indy might have a shot in 2012. (Hopefully PHX gets it again though).

Maybe if it is in Glendale again, the powers that be will expedite the light rail extension to Glendale. That would be so sweet... especially for everyone attending the SB. The media is already housed in downtown Phoenix @ the Hyatt and convention center, they could all just ride the rail out to the stadium. I can't imagine how annoying it is right now to drive and park there. That would require them to finalize the alignment (obviously to the Westgate area is the best choice - via DT Glendale, hopefully), and speed up construction everything right now.

The coincidence with the centennial of AZ is a good point. We need to do something big for that, but that's a whole different thread topic.

exit2lef
Jan 31, 2008, 4:40 PM
The problem with the Olympics is the timing of the games in relation to Phoenix weather. The summer Olympics would work well here -- but only if held in the winter. I doubt the IOC would be willing to shift the schedule by six months. As for the winter Olympics, I just don't think our modest ski slopes would be good enough.

vertex
Jan 31, 2008, 5:04 PM
...the 2012 Super Bowl will be great. The only problem might be that I heard Indianapolis will be going for the 2012 Super Bowl as well, and they are almost done constructing a brand new stadium. That might be some serious competition, especially given the Colts and Peyton Manning's popularity.

Indian-noplace will be Jacksonville all over again, only in cold weather; no contest....

Houston wants it again too, they might present a tougher match.

vertex
Jan 31, 2008, 6:08 PM
Interesting blog from Will Leitch, writing for the NYTimes:

A Civics Lesson Amid the Hoopla (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/a-civics-lesson-amid-the-hoopla/)

Save for the once-every-few-decades opportunity to host an Olympics and the occasional political convention, an American city rarely has a better opportunity to strut its stuff than when it hosts a Super Bowl. ESPN’s Bill Simmons has written that only three cities should ever host Super Bowls: San Diego, New Orleans and Miami. While I understand his sentiment, it seems awfully undemocratic. Every major American city should have the opportunity to put on its best suit and strut its stuff to the world.

Sometimes this suit does not fit. Those who had the misfortune of attending Super Bowl XXXIX in Jacksonville still tell stories of spending hours waiting for cabs that were never to arrive, or being able to see Alltell Stadium in the distance but having no conceivable way to get there. On the other hand, Super Bowl XL in Detroit was a well-organized, well-produced affair that had thousands of media members coming home and saying, “Hey, Detroit’s a fine place. Honey, we should move there!” (Or at least the coverage read that way).

We forget sometimes, in all the ridiculousness that surrounds the staging of a Super Bowl, that it is hosted by a real city, with real people. And that the event, as big and dominant as it is, is also entwined with the context of time and place.

These are heady times for Arizona. Favorite son John McCain – who doesn’t appear as popular with the in-state news media as he is nationally – is in position to secure the Republican nomination for President. The city’s first light rail system, desperately needed in a place as far-flung as the Phoenix area, will be ready in December after about a decade in the making. The big game is being held in a brand new stadium paid for mostly by taxpayers; as this Arizona Cardinals fan can wearily tell you, the stadium hasn’t been seen by most of the country.

The Super Bowl can send that good cheer soaring, or screeching to a halt. Phoenix seems to understand the importance of this; the local news coverage certainly has more stories about all the family-friendly, corporate sponsored community events the Super Bowl has brought with it than it does stories about McCain. In last night’s local news, McCain was the fifth story. The first four were about the Super Bowl, and none were about the Patriots or Giants.

So how’s Phoenix doing so far? Well, this was my first trip to the state of Arizona, so I’m one of those tourists who thought it was going to be 95 degrees here in January. It’s not. And the cab situation is a problem. After an ill-advised visit to Glendale on Tuesday evening, which is about 30 miles from my airport hotel, the one cab driver within radio distance didn’t seem to know where the airport was, despite my entreaties to, you know, follow the planes. (Two hours later, I was still on the phone to New York and a helpful dispenser of Google Maps knowledge. The fare was $94, though the cabbie knocked it down to $40 because, even though I was the out of towner, he was the one who got lost.)

But those are minor quibbles. This week, at least, Phoenix appears to be full of the friendliest people on earth. About nine months ago, the Arizona Super Bowl Planning Committee sent out a call. We’re looking for 10,000 people willing to volunteer their services during Super Bowl week. Do your civic duty. Even as a city full of expats, they answered the call to make sure their town was ready for its closeup. And now they’re everywhere.

I’m not sure that showing mostly oblivious media folk where to find places to fill up on alcohol counts as “doing your civic duty,” but pretty much everyone I see at the Airport Marriott is doing exactly like that. Everywhere you turn, there is one of these oh-so-helpful volunteers eager to advise the confused out-of-towners who haven’t quite figured out that Glendale, despite being the site of the Super Bowl stadium, is not where you want to spend your evening. If you happen to have an even slightly befuddled look on your face for even a nanosecond, one of these volunteers will find you and answer questions you didn’t even know you had. And they’re not just doing this to people whom they know wield keyboards. They’re like this to everyone.

You could make the argument, sure, that Phoenix might be uniquely positioned to amass an army of middle-aged (and quite tan) volunteers with nothing else to do all week but show visitors around, but that doesn’t mean they have to be so cheery about it. And boy, are they cheery. They’re not faking, either: They whole-heartedly want you to love Phoenix. They’re starting to talk me into it.

We will see how Phoenix pulls of the massive influx of people descending on its city in the next few days. But so far, so good. These people are doing their best to put the happiest face on the place that they love. It makes me wonder if New York would have trouble hosting a Super Bowl; we might be far less tolerant of clueless interlopers like myself, trying to figure out where, exactly, this supposed F train is. Here, everyone smiles, takes your arm, escorts you where you need to go and then turns around to help somebody else. Maybe they have to do it. But, boy, do they ever seem to mean it.

Seriously, though: They really need to do something about those cabs.

Go ahead and post a comment to his blog if you want.

Sonoran_Dweller
Jan 31, 2008, 6:51 PM
The Olympics would be great. I have dreamed of Phoenix getting the Olympics since Athens. The thing is that the Olympic Committee of the city that is chosen chooses the dates. In Beijing, they choose August 8th, 2008 at 8PM (8/8/08/8pm) to start their Olympics because the number 8 in China is a sacred number or brings good luck (something along that line). If they chose the exact date and time to start why can't we (but I would think the International Olympic Committee would have to approve it). But it would make sense to put it in March/April or September/October, I don't think people would complain. In 2000, Sydney held the Olympics in September (in the Southern Hemisphere September is just like March in the Northern Hemisphere).

Also Phoenix can't get the 2016 Olympics. The United States Olympic Committee already choose Chicago (http://www.chicago2016.org/) to be the US Applicant City. If Chicago is selected for the 2016 Olympics, then the US will not try to apply for the 2020 Olympics, because that would be a bit spoiled trying to go for two Olympics in a row. So if Chicago does get the 2016, then Phoenix should go for the 2024. But if Chicago does not get it, then PHX should go for 2020.

The Summer Olympics are not the only Olympic Games that PHX could pursue. In July 2007 the International Olympic Committee created a new Olympic Games, the Youth Olympic Games (YOG). It would be the same set up as the Summer and Winter games, but it would be for youth aged 14-18. I know they probably won't ever be as big as the Summer or Winter Games, but they are Olympics, and it would bring international attention. I think Phoenix has a higher chance of getting the YOG rather than the Summer Games. When it was announced I knew that it was something that Phoenix should pursue, so I wrote letters to Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon, Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs, and Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman. In the letter I tried to persuade them why they should pursue the YOG. I sent it out in early August, but have never heard anything about it. But PHX can't get the 1st YOG, because the final five Candidate Cities for 2010 (Athens, Bangkok, Moscow, Singapore, and Turin) were chosen in September. Last week they chose Singapore (http://www.singapore2010.sg/night/index.htm) and Moscow (http://www.moscowyog2010.com/) as the final two cities. So if PHX wants to pursue a YOG, they could try for the 2014 YOG.

Anyway, Phoenix should host an Olympic Game. It would be great to really show the world that we exist, and show the US that we are a real city, who can handle the world’s biggest event, which deserves a status equal to that of New York, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

Oh, regarding the Super Bowl in 2012, that would be great. In the centennial year would make it an even bigger 100 year celebration. Arizona should try their best for that Super Bowl; it would be a big statement for Phoenix and Arizona.

PhxSprawler
Jan 31, 2008, 7:28 PM
I think Phoenix would be a great place for the Olympics, especially seeing what it did for Salt Lake City in 2002. It was on overnight kick in the ass to clean up the decayed parts of the town, re-build the aging freeways, and fund the lightrail - despite the opposition from tax payers. Olympics make Superbowl money brought in look like chump change!

It wouldn't be a big deal for the Olympics to change the date of summer olympics to say, March or October. The dates are already all over the board, considering our planet has different seasons in different hemispheres. For instance, Seoul was Sept 17- Oct 2 in 88, Barcelona was July 25-Aug 9 in 92, Atlanta was July 10-Aug 9, Sydney was Sept 15 - October 1, and Athens was Aug 13-29. That would be a great way to let the world know that "Phoenix is better than your shitty little town" ;)

Regarding the blog about taxis, I am happy it is his only complaint. My experience with taxis has been worse in Phoenix than any city I have been. They have to pay $5 to go into the airport, and they ALWAYS seem to let you know that if you are going somewhere close to the airport, like downtown. I always recommend a town car for visitors. They are very close in price!

vertex
Jan 31, 2008, 7:40 PM
Olympics make Superbowl money brought in look like chump change!

Do you know the costs entailed with staging one of these things? The only city in the modern Olympic era to not lose money was L.A. in 1984.

The Superbowl is easy money compared to an Olympics. I'm not arguing against hosting them, only that to do so will require a lot of sacrifice and investment.

The reward will be exposure to the nth degree, not a monetary payout.

HooverDam
Jan 31, 2008, 8:11 PM
Do you know the costs entailed with staging one of these things? The only city in the modern Olympic era to not lose money was L.A. in 1984.

The Superbowl is easy money compared to an Olympics. I'm not arguing against hosting them, only that to so will require a lot of sacrifice and investment.

The reward will be exposure to the nth degree, not a monetary payout.

Well I'm not expert on the topic, but it seems to me an Olympiad held in Phoenix would be somewhat less costly than those held in other places. Most cities build a brand new Olympic stadium for the event and other facilities. We're already building a Convention Center and hotels and more would certainly come online if the Olympics were coming.

While we'd certainly have to do some of that (especially upgrades to transit and older facilities), we already have Chase, UofP, US Airways and Jobing.com Arena in pristine condition. ASU is already funding upgrades to Wells Fargo Arena, Packard Stadium and Sun Devil Stadium. There's new Spring Training Facilities already being built for the Dodgers and Indians. So you upgrade the Memorial Coliseum, do some more renovations at Sun Devil Stadium and it seems to me your almost set as far as facilities go.

I'd also be for Phoenix going after the afore mentioned Youth Olympic Games. According to Wikipedia Phoenix was slated to host the Goodwill Games in 2005 but it was cancelled.

I'd also be all for Phoenix trying to get a Worlds Fair. I lived in St Louis in 2004 and they were having big celebrations over their 100 year anniversary of the 1904 Worlds Fair and there are still tons of great civic buildings and parks (i.e. Forest Park, the St Louis Zoo, etc) left from the 1904 Fair. The 1904 really seemed to mark St Louis at its peak, if Phoenix is really going to be a great "21st Century City" I'd love to see us go after things like this.

I thought I remember reading that back during the "Phoenix Futures" days there was a plan for something called the "Desert Cities Conference" which sounded like a mini Worlds Fair for Desert Cities to be held in Phoenix, even something like that would be pretty cool.

/end derail

ESPN’s Bill Simmons has written that only three cities should ever host Super Bowls: San Diego, New Orleans and Miami.

As a huge sports fan, I can honestly say Bill Simmons is a fucking tool and nearly 100% of the things he says are wrong. I hope the Suns meet the Celtics in the Finals and absolutely crush them.

combusean
Jan 31, 2008, 9:59 PM
The World's Fair would be an absolute boon for the city. It has almost the same amount of exposure* as the Olympics but it's a lengthy multi-month event.

I asterisk my comments because since the United States no longer contributes to the World's Fair sanctioning body, one hasn't been in the US for years. So most people on this side of the pond would probably think of them as historical footnotes in this nation's history rather than a hugely popular internationally scoped event.

Another reason for a Phoenix to get the World's Fair--besides the obvious booster rationale: The World's Fair has lately been theming not so much on the promises of the future but to showcase how cities meet the challenges of the present.

Phoenix, a quickly growing metro amidst an inhospitable environment would be an ideal setting, but we really haven't responded to our challenges other than cranking up the AC. More than the Olympics, a World's Fair for Phoenix could show how this city is maturing on a tremendous, prestigious scale.

Locofresh55
Feb 1, 2008, 11:51 AM
Phoenix should try to host something slightly smaller...like the Pan Am Games. Currently the next city to host the games will be Guadalajara Mexico in 2011. Maybe we can go for 2015 or 2019. It would be cool to see a mini olympics as a stepping stone for Phoenix to host the Olympics in 2024 0r 2028.

World's Fair would be great too.

PHX31
Feb 1, 2008, 4:24 PM
Another positive Phoenix story:

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d8066194b&template=with-video&confirm=true

HX_Guy
Feb 1, 2008, 4:30 PM
And another:

http://www.eagletribune.com/puopinion/local_story_032073925.html?keyword=topstory

Phoenix22
Feb 1, 2008, 5:38 PM
And another:

http://www.eagletribune.com/puopinion/local_story_032073925.html?keyword=topstory

good story, That is how I saw Phoenix and I still see it after being here 2 years.

I could not go anywhere else.

Phoenix and the Valley of the sun is just beautiful. I love the Highways here and the wide streets, the mountains.
It is nice to open my window and look up to the mountain anytime I want.

and we have all kind of entertainment and we are an easy drive to Faboulous Vegas or California.

What else can I ask for.

I will never move back to the East coast again

PhxSprawler
Feb 1, 2008, 5:55 PM
So, I am curious! What are the rest of the locals doing during all the events? Are you all staying inside to avoid the madness?

I would prefer to be at Tommy Lee's party at the top of the Valley Ho, but $500 is a bit steep for my fellow partiers (if you read this, Tommy, I need 8 tickets for Saturday night!) Instead, I will be downtown Phoenix tonight, Old Town Scottsdale on Sat. (I am always game to see Paul Oakenfold spin), and staying home on Sunday.

HooverDam
Feb 1, 2008, 6:03 PM
Im working. I work in tv/film as a PA (fancy word for 'bitch'), so this is a busy busy time for me. Im off here in about an hour to go work on Best Damn Sports Show. So no parties for me.

exit2lef
Feb 1, 2008, 6:08 PM
I'm not a sports fan. I'll be at First Friday tonight, hiking tomorrow, and maybe a trip to Ikea on Sunday. I'm hoping the store will be less crowded if we go when others are watching the game. I'm gratified for the revenue and the exposure generated by the game and the surrounding events, but they don't interest me personally.

Buckeye Native 001
Feb 1, 2008, 6:35 PM
I was supposed to go to California this weekend, but I'm staying home and plan on staying off the roads as much as possible. Thank christ the Superbowl's on the opposite end of town from where I live, but I've got a bad feeling that Monday morning's commute will be a nightmare.

CANUC
Feb 1, 2008, 11:04 PM
PhxSprawler: So, I am curious! What are the rest of the locals doing during all the events? Are you all staying inside to avoid the madness?
Staying home Sunday, couldn’t imagine dealing with the crowds plus I am playing host to a Super Bowl party. So after a gratuitous amount of pre-work this week; think lawn care, cleaning, purchasing supplies i.e. food, drinks etc. I think I’m ready. We will have multiple smaller TV’s setup beside the main viewing TV and we will have the surround system tuned in to help those that need to leave the viewing areas from having to run back and ask “what happened!?” – got the idea from and MSN article. All combined with copious amounts of drinks, foods, some small friendly wagering – not a big fan of either team so money makes things matter and some good’ol fashion ribbing on the losing side and it should be a good day.

Sonoran_Dweller
Feb 1, 2008, 11:30 PM
---