View Full Version : CTV holding auditions for Idol — in Hamilton

SteelTown
Jan 3, 2008, 2:31 AM
CTV holding auditions for Idol — in Hamilton

January 02, 2008
By Carli Whitwell
Special to the Hamilton Spectator

Move over Brian Melo.

Auditions for season six of Canadian Idol start on Jan. 26 — and the newest stop on the show’s cross-country search for singers is the city of Hamilton.

This means — for the first time ever — aspiring Hamiltonian singers will no longer have to make the trek to Toronto to try out for the popular reality show. The announcement was made last night on CTV’s eTalk.

Augusto Melo, father of Hamilton’s Brian Melo, reigning idol, said he is thrilled about the news. “Now that we will have Canadian Idol auditions in Hamilton it will encourage more people from the area to try.”

Melo won last summer’s competition after beating 17-year-old Jaydee Bixby from Drumheller, Alta., in front of 2.75 million Canadian viewers.

During the 25-year-old construction worker’s quest towards the title, Hamilton was gaga with Melo-mania.

This year, Canadian Idol’s Audition Tour starts in Edmonton.

Hamilton auditions will take place on March 1-2, though a location for the tryout has yet to be announced.

Rob Diehl, marketing assistant for Hamilton’s Entertainment and Convention Facilities said he has not heard if the auditions will be held at any HECFI venues.

But he said he likes the idea. “It is really good for the city and it would be great to have the excitement that was around Brian Melo and the past idol programs in our buildings.”

The show will air on CTV in June.

DC83
Jan 3, 2008, 6:10 PM
^^ That's great news!! The more exposure the better (obviously)!
And I'm pretty sure it'll be held at the Convention Ctr as there aren't any events set for that date in that bldg (according to hecfi.on.ca anyway).

I hope the city gets a HUGE turnout! Downtown will be awesome that weekend!

chris k
Jan 3, 2008, 6:28 PM
Yeah and hopefully they find another Brian Melo.. even better exposure to our city from abroad. I hope tons of people audition. I think that Hamilton has enough musical talent to pull back to back idol wins.:D

SteelTown
Jan 3, 2008, 7:14 PM
I'm mostly excited to see the rejects in Hamilton haha should be some funny characters during the auditions.

DC83
Jan 3, 2008, 8:24 PM
^^ too bad the "rejects" are as scripted as the rest of the show (or ANY reality show)! :(

They should host the show live from Ferguson Avenue North! haha Now THAT is (what ppl think of) Hamilton!!! hahahaha

matt602
Jan 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
Interesting but on the whole I couldn't care less about Canadian or American Idol.

SteelTown
Feb 22, 2008, 2:31 PM
Eastgate to welcome Canadian Idol hopefuls

First Brian Melo brought the Canadian Idol title home to Hamilton and now auditions for the popular singing contest are coming to Eastgate Square.

This is the first time Canadian Idol auditions will take place in Hamilton, allowing residents to audition at Eastgate Square March 1 and 2 instead of traveling to Toronto.

"Talks with Canadian Idol started back in November 2007. They were just in the beginning phase and scouting out different options in the Hamilton area. In mid-December, Idol sent out a representative and I met with him to take a walk through the mall," said Katie Simpson, Eastgate's marketing director. "It was just prior to Christmas, they let me know that Eastgate was the chosen location. I couldn't have been more excited.

"It is fantastic to know that all our recent changes and improvements are really being noticed by not only our immediate community, but also by an organization as massive and as popular as Canadian Idol. It is going to be a very exciting weekend at Eastgate Square."

Registration and auditions will take place from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in 10 trailers located near the Kenora Avenue entrance.

During Idol weekend, the Kenora parking lot will not be open to customers. The lot right next to the Kenora entrance, in front of the Bay, will remain open.

The food court doors will open at 6 a.m. so contestants can start to line up inside. Some retailers will open early and many food court tenants will open so contestants can have breakfast.

Shoppers Drug Mart will open at 6 a.m. to customers and is also booking appointments for makeup applications for Canadian Idol hopefuls to get camera-ready. Anyone interested can visit the Shoppers Drug Mart cosmetics counter to book an appointment or call (905) 560-4800, ext. 22 and ask for Linda or Maria.

Canadian Idol auditions are open to all Canadians between the ages of 16 and 28 as of Jan. 25. For more information about Canadian Idol, registration forms, rules and regulations, visit www.idol.tv.ca.

Last year, Canadian Idol was the first North American Idol to add musical instruments - a move adopted this season by American Idol. Due to its success, all singer/musicians are again welcome to audition for Canadian Idol with instruments. Last year, 42 per cent of artists who went onto auditions in Toronto played a musical instrument.

Competitors will be judged evenly on their singing, whether playing instruments or singing a cappella. Those choosing to play an instrument will also be judged on their playing abilities.

Hamilton is one of 10 cities on the cross-Canada audition tour.

Canadian Idol is holding most of its auditions at shopping malls and on weekends as part of its efforts to make it easier to audition.

Season 6 of Canadian Idol will air on CTV this June. The 2007 season was the most-watched program of the summer on Canadian television. Nearly five million Canadians tuned into last September's season finale for some or all of the broadcast to see East Hamilton's Brian Melo claim the crown.