PDA

View Full Version : New large music venue in Vancouver (cap. 10-15k)?

Xelebes
Dec 31, 2007, 10:50 PM
So a contact of mine is saying (boasting, if I may editorialise here) that he has finally got a construction permit for a venue in the Vancouver area with a cap. of 10-15k. I've been trying to get him to respond on any details about where about this is being constructed but to no avail. I'm just asking if any of you know of this application/permit and where it is going to be built?

MistyMountainHop
Jan 1, 2008, 10:02 AM
Haven't heard of it. That would be amazing though.

Do you have any more information?

Xelebes
Jan 1, 2008, 8:00 PM
The owner of this venue is heavily connected to European electronic music scene, so it will most likely be used for holding dance events and bringing in big names from Europe and the Americas.

hollywoodnorth
Jan 1, 2008, 10:41 PM
Bullshit........I know the music industry in Vancouver.........and I call bullshit

MistyMountainHop
Jan 1, 2008, 10:58 PM
Bullshit........I know the music industry in Vancouver.........and I call bullshit

You're probably right ... unfortunately. :(

westcoast604
Jan 2, 2008, 12:28 AM
This city is very much an untapped market in the afterhours nightclub scene. We are over due for a large quality afterhours venue, and it's only a matter of time before we see one emerge. Vancouver will not remain backwater in this sense forever.

Volksboi
Jan 2, 2008, 12:37 AM

It is posible that he may know somthing that you dont know.. so rather then call him a liar...lets wait and see what happens...would hate to see you look like a total ass for jumping to conclusions :tup:

jlousa
Jan 2, 2008, 12:44 AM
I won't call BS, but I'm willing to bet this won't happen, there isn't a need for 10-15K music venue in the city. We have GM place/Pacific Colisiuem/ possible Whitecap stadium for stuff like that (concerts) There is no need for a 15K afterhours club in Vancouver. If you told me there is a new music venue in the 1-1.5K size I would be much more likely to beleive it.

SpongeG
Jan 2, 2008, 2:22 AM
anything more than the world would be great - that place is so sweaty and charges too much

Xelebes
Jan 2, 2008, 4:04 AM

How well do you know Boodang Productions? I know he has worked along side Boodang, throwing events in Alberta and Vancouver.

hollywoodnorth
Jan 2, 2008, 10:13 PM
I still call Bullshit.

Xelebes
Jan 2, 2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah, call bullshit on any long-term venue.

It's a short term thing, to be used in the summer presumably. So, it isn't gonna be that spectacular or anything. Just got word from the contact.

npinguy
Jan 4, 2008, 10:56 PM
A lot of people have said that it would be cool if the old Storeyum space in Gastown was converted into a massive european-style nightclub. With gastown getting trendier by the day, I'd agree with that.

Jacques
Jan 5, 2008, 1:42 AM
A lot of people have said that it would be cool if the old Storeyum space in Gastown was converted into a massive european-style nightclub. With gastown getting trendier by the day, I'd agree with that.

Forgive me, however can anyone please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a project done in Downtown Toronto for the Rave scene that went really well, with the city blessing and TPD, but I had read that few years back, I know Montreal has raves and dance circuit all years round that attract thousands and big money spender, it would be a very good idea to consider the Storeyum has a main entertainment for that purpose , underground and noise level to a minimum less noise for the residents, Interesting concept

officedweller
Jan 5, 2008, 2:53 AM
... got a construction permit for a venue in the Vancouver area with a cap. of 10-15k

My guess is an open field in Mission ...

hollywoodnorth
Jan 5, 2008, 5:36 AM
My guess is an open field in Mission ...

hehe I would go with Chilliwack or Abby.

I have thrown a few large outdoor raves back in the day in both cities on Native Land............been there done that ;)

Xelebes
Jan 5, 2008, 8:25 PM
Yeah, but I never really know how deep this guy's pockets are. So I didn't really know what to expect from him.

EastVanMark
Jan 7, 2008, 5:04 AM

Unfortunately never gonna happen unless the city changes their nimby views of expansion of liquor seats. Keep in mind that this city is infamous for creating silly bylaws such as not letting venues operate to fire code limits ( a common practice around the world), and limiting the amount of liquor seats per venue regardless of size, and punishing bars who don't operate in the districts they want by not letting them operate at the same hours as others.

jlousa
Jan 7, 2008, 5:32 PM
Storyeum isn't the best venue for a club anyways, while it is large, the idea of over a thousand people with liquor in them trying to get out of an underground club in an emergency isn't pretty, I'm sure the Fire dept would never okay it, and they do have a say before any license could be issued.