someone123
Dec 5, 2007, 3:51 AM
From today's Daily News:

MLAs, give up your parking
Councillor urges province to follow city's lead

BRIAN FLINN
The Daily News

http://www.hfxnews.ca/photos/TheDailyNews/stories/Province%20House-jpg.jpg

An artist's rendition of what the Province House grounds would look like as a park was included in HRM by Design.

Grand Parade is no longer a parking lot for politicians. But a block away, Province House continues to be crowded with the cars and SUVs of elected officials.

Downtown Coun. Dawn Sloane said it's time MLAs follow City Hall's lead and find a new place to leave their vehicles.

"I don't know why we're using public land as a parking lot," Sloane said. "It should be a park people can enjoy."

Nova Scotia is marking 250 years of representative democracy next year. Its historic legislature sits on land that looks and feels like private property, according to a consultants' report prepared last year for the province and Halifax Regional Municipality.

It suggests that's why people are not outraged about its use for parking, the way many were about the square in front of City Hall.

"Given the perception that the Province House grounds are more private (created by the limited pedestrian access to the space as a result of the less-permeable fencing and the presence of a security guard for the parking), the public sentiment about parking around Province House is less voluble," The CBCL report said.

The Province House grounds should be a Victorian garden, the report said. The square on the south side of the building, around the Joseph Howe statue, is already a "lovely park, shaded by mature trees," but few people use it. The report recommends creating new entrances through the wrought iron fence to make it convenient for pedestrians.

The square to the north of the building is potentially the most valuable part of the Province House grounds because it faces George Street, a busy pedestrian axis in downtown Halifax. Its Boer War monument once acted as the city's cenotaph. Now, it's covered in asphalt.

The lot can accommodate about 32 vehicles. MLAs park there when the legislature sits. Ex-MLAs are allowed to use it when the House is not in session.

The report suggests parking can be eliminated from the legislature property when the province builds a new administrative building and parking garage across Granville Street, on the former Birk's property. Construction of that building, which is expected to cost at least $19 million, is contingent on a land swap with the municipality involving the former Infirmary site on Queen Street.

Transportation Minister Murray Scott said no final determination has been made about the land deal. He would like to turn the parking lot into a park, but doesn't know how long that could take.

"It would be great down the road if we could take the cars out of Province House and find another place to park," he said. "With the historic nature of this area and tourists coming in, it would be great if we could find an alternate location for parking. It would add a lot."

Sloane said MLAs don't have to wait for a new building to give up their parking lot. Many keep apartments in Halifax that are within walking distance, she said. Others who live further from downtown could ride the bus, or rent their own space.

"It shows a sense of entitlement. They are elected officials," she said. "They should have to pay for their parking like anybody else."

bflinn@hfxnews.ca

skyscraper_1
Dec 5, 2007, 5:18 AM
This would go a long way to spruce up downtown. Another idea would be a fountain/shallow pool in grandparade.

someone123
Dec 5, 2007, 8:26 AM
There are old pictures of both the Grand Parade with a fountain and of the Northern end of the Province House grounds before they were paved over. It's kind of sad how the city has regressed in these two areas.

The Grand Parade needs an overhaul. This area already has a nice focal point and just needs to be repaved.

The other key piece is the George/Barrington hole, which has a very negative impact on both public spaces and on Barrington itself. The Grand Parade's not properly enclosed and Barrington's street wall is broken up right where it transitions from lowrise to highrise.

As for the article itself, it annoys me how some people are simply operating under the assumption that parking must be provided for MLAs right next to Province House. HRM councillors were mostly the same way. They don't have any special "right" to this parking, and there are plenty of areas nearby where they could park (e.g. MetroPark in the case of Province House).

Keith P.
Dec 5, 2007, 8:11 PM
Isn't this a bit premature? I thought I read somewhere that there were 2 things being proposed (jointly or not) that would resolve this. The first is the Birks/Dennis Bldg site, that is supposed to become a provincial govt office building; the second is making that block of Granville St into some kind of plaza for Province House. Combined, it seems the problem is solved. Have parking underground at the office building site, which could even be connected by a pedestrian tunnel under Granville to Province House. That would let you integrate the plaza and the north end of Province House (the current parking lot) into a much more people-friendly space.

The main problem I see with the talk of making the grounds around PH more public is security. The way our public sector unions like to disrupt the Legislature when in session could work against making it more open.

someone123
Dec 5, 2007, 11:29 PM
Yes, you are right. That seemed to be the plan from the beginning and that is likely what will happen, although it seems to be happening very slowly. I wonder how long it will be until they actually announce a deal involving both the library and the site next to Province House?

Security is definitely a concern. I don't personally think it's that important that the grounds become "public space", I just think they look terrible right now. The South side with the Joseph Howe statue looks very elegant and the North side should be the same.

I would also like to see the restoration of some original detailing on the AGNS/post office building and the construction of something new next to the Dominion Public Building (actually, there's also a triangular lot in front of BMO/1801 Hollis that always comes up in planning exercises like HRM by Design).

For a long time this stretch of Hollis was one of the most beautiful urban settings in the country. Right now it's still nice but could be much nicer.

hfx_chris
Dec 6, 2007, 12:47 AM
I have to agree with the article, the large iron fence and the security guard at the front gate sure does turn me off from ever wanting to walk in there... In fact I'll admit I had always assumed the guard was there to prevent people from entering unless you were there on business.