PDA

View Full Version : Public bike rentals in Vancouver?

mr.x
Nov 30, 2007, 9:56 PM
Public bike rentals coming to Vancouver?

Frances Bula, Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, November 29, 2007

VANCOUVER - They've done it in Paris. They're promising to do it in Beijing. Now Vancouver is jumping on the bandwagon of cities looking into a public bike rental system for commuters.

TransLink has put out a tender call for companies to assess whether and how public bikes could work in Greater Vancouver. It is asking the bidders to assess a system that would make bikes available in downtown Vancouver, the Broadway corridor, and in other communities.

"I wouldn't expect it everywhere," said TransLink vice-chair Marvin Hunt, also a Surrey city councillor. "I would expect them where there is a concentration of businesses. And I wouldn't expect them at the King George Station at all or a station like Joyce."

Hunt said TransLink put out the contract call after hearing from consumers that they'd like such a system in the region. As well, Vancouver Coun. Peter Ladner put forward a motion in October suggesting TransLink look into public bikes, a move that got support from the rest of the board.

"I think this is very workable in Vancouver," said Ladner. "I pushed it because it's taking off in other cities in Europe. It produces a dramatic increase in the number of people cycling and reduces car use."

The first public-bike system started in Rennes, France, in 2001, with 250 bicycles at 25 docking stations, according to information supplied with the TransLink call for bidders.

Paris, with a fleet of flashy pink bikes, has supplied 20,600 bicycles at 1,450 docking stations and Beijing has promised it will supply 50,000 bikes in time for the Olympics.

Typically, people pay for the bikes with a smart card or credit card, picking them up in one spot and returning them to the same place or any other docking station.

The bikes are frequently manufactured with different kinds of parts that don't fit regular bikes, making them less prone to thefts.

Bonnie Fenton, the chair of Vancouver's bicycle advisory committee and a trainer in bike skills, called the idea "very cool."

"If you make it easy for people, it's more likely to happen. All of this is fitting together really well."

Former Vancouver city councillor and transit advocate Gordon Price also called it a "great idea." He had one caution, though. "The big problem is helmets."

In Europe, helmets aren't required or supplied. In the Lower Mainland, it's illegal to ride without a helmet. About three per cent of people in Vancouver commute by bike; about two per cent in Metro Vancouver. In Amsterdam, the rate is 37 per cent.

Jared
Dec 1, 2007, 8:07 PM
I'm an avid bike rider, and when the weather's nice I commute to UBC by bike (from Broadway station area), but I'm not totally sure this would work. I don't think Vancovuer has the same hop-on/hop-off attitude with bikes the way Europe does. I get the impression that people who would ride bikes already own them, and people who don't already own them probably are not to interested in using them. Plus there's the helmet issue.

IIRC, Montreal is thinking of implementing something similar. Let's hold off and see how they do.