PDA

View Full Version : New Sellwood Bridge | Completed

IHEARTPDX
Nov 28, 2007, 5:44 PM
Some Sellwood Bridge replacement choices...
http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/img/renderings/bridgetypes_700x662.jpg

Sellwood Bridge (http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/BridgeTypes.aspx)

alexjon
Nov 28, 2007, 6:08 PM
I like Cable-Stayed and Delta-Frame a LOT.

pdxman
Nov 28, 2007, 6:26 PM
I like the cable stayed a lot as well. Thats one type of bridge portland doesn't have yet that i'd like to see. But, since this is portland and good design rarely wins out we'll probably end up with the box girder.

rsbear
Nov 28, 2007, 6:36 PM
In addition to the Cable-Stayed, I like the Through Arch.

alexjon
Nov 28, 2007, 6:48 PM
pdxman, it's Sellwood. They'll demand the through arch, even if every other bridge option is cheaper and dropped money on them as they crossed it.

Pavlov's Dog
Nov 28, 2007, 7:22 PM
The nice thing about the through arch is that you don't have pillars in the middle of the river like with all the other designs.

joeplayer1989
Nov 28, 2007, 7:35 PM
definitely cable stayed or through arch

PuyoPiyo
Nov 28, 2007, 8:20 PM
Deck do look good, I agree with others.

urbanlife
Nov 28, 2007, 8:59 PM
I dont like the cable stay mostly because it seems like every new bridge that is being built is one of those...other than that, I have nothing against it being a cable stay...which is what will probably be chosen.

65MAX
Nov 28, 2007, 9:46 PM
The costs of each option get larger from top to bottom, so from a cost-benefit point of view, the Delta Frame would be my choice. If cost wasn't a factor (lol), of course I'd prefer the Cable-Stayed. The Through Arch looks too similar to the OC-West Linn Bridge and the Fremont Bridge.

zilfondel
Nov 29, 2007, 8:17 PM
I like the Delta Frame the most... keeps in tune with the original design and keeps the sight lines up top open.

Sekkle
Mar 19, 2008, 7:37 PM
Article from the Oregonian today...
Multnomah County commissioner pushes to close Sellwood Bridge
Engineers say the aging span across the Willamette River is still safe
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
ARTHUR GREGG SULZBERGER
The Oregonian

Frustrated that money for the Sellwood Bridge remains nowhere in sight, Multnomah County Commissioner Maria Rojo de Steffey is calling to close the decrepit span.

The county is in the midst of a two-year, $5 million review to decide whether to repair or replace the bridge, but hasn't found the money to pay for a project expected to cost as much as $450 million.

The 83-year-old bridge, the busiest two-lane crossing in the state, is cracked and sagging with a 3-year-old weight limit that prohibits buses, firetrucks and other heavy vehicles.

Nevertheless, county, state and independent engineers who conduct regular checks of the bridge -- most recently this week -- continue to say it's safe to carry the estimated 30,000 cars that travel over it each day.

"We're staying on top of it," said Ian Cannon, the county's top bridge engineer.

Rojo de Steffey is taking issue with that assurance, saying the county is better off closing the bridge now if it can't get a 100 percent guarantee that the bridge won't fail.

"I'm ready now to close it," Rojo de Steffey said. "On my watch I don't want to be responsible if it goes down."

Commissioner Lonnie Roberts said he shared the concern and was leaning toward supporting closing the bridge.

"It's not going to get better," he said. "I don't want to close it unnecessarily, but there's no way to know when it's going to collapse. We need to take some leadership here."

County and state bridge experts were surprised by the sudden interest in closing the bridge without any new information suggesting it's no longer safe.

Bruce Johnson, the top bridge engineer with the Oregon Department of Transportation, had his staff accompany county engineers on an inspection Monday. He said the problems with the bridge are serious, but well-managed.

"I don't have any concerns about the safety of the bridge," he said.

County Chairman Ted Wheeler, who led an unsuccessful push to raise local money for a new bridge, said any decision to shut it down should rest with experts, not politicians.

"I believe the bridge is safe based on the information I'm getting from our engineers," he said. But he also noted: "If we ever got any information that the bridge is not safe, we would close it without hesitation."

It's unclear whether the county has the authority to unilaterally close the bridge or whether the city or the state also would have a say, said County Attorney Agnes Sowle, who is drafting a legal opinion on the subject.

A closure could create serious traffic problems, with an estimated 20,000 additional cars heading to the nearby Ross Island Bridge or other downtown crossings every day, said Mike Pullen, a county spokesman on bridge issues.

Though the Sellwood Bridge's deficiencies are well-known, it has come under increased scrutiny after the collapse of a bridge in Minneapolis last summer. Much of the discussion has centered on the Sellwood's low federal sufficiency rating -- just 2 out of 100 (as opposed to 50 out of 100 for the Minnesota bridge). But engineers say the number is designed to show eligibility for federal money, not just the safety of the bridge.

Nevertheless, Wheeler cited the figure repeatedly as he tried to get local communities to endorse his plan for increasing the amount county residents pay to register their cars to help raise the local share for a new bridge.

But he dropped the plan when three cities refused to support the fee increase. Now, Wheeler said he's trying to build support for a regional bridge authority that would include neighboring counties.

Rojo de Steffey criticized Wheeler for dropping the plan, saying he should have cut whatever deals necessary to get Gresham, Troutdale and Maywood Park to sign on because a regional plan will take too long.

Some officials privately dismissed Rojo de Steffey's move to shut down the Sellwood as a tactic to increase pressure on the cities as well as neighboring counties to help pay for a new bridge. But Rojo de Steffey said she's driven by genuine safety concerns.

She has said publicly that she's too scared to drive over the bridge herself, a comment that has carried particular weight because she's spearheaded the planning process for a new bridge and knows the bridge better than the other commissioners.

Commissioner Lisa Naito is leaning toward Rojo de Steffey's way of thinking.
"I'm fully prepared if we cannot guarantee the bridge is safe, to shut it down," Naito said at a board meeting last week. "We have no realistic plan to pay for a replacement bridge at this point, not even to repair this bridge. We have no legal obligation, statutory or otherwise, to continue operating this bridge."

Commissioner Jeff Cogen said the bridge should stay open until engineers say it's unsafe.

"What I support will not be based on hysteria; it will be based on the facts," he said. "I wouldn't close it just because people are afraid of it if the fear is not real."

Arthur Gregg Sulzberger: 503-221-8330; arthursulzberger@ news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1205895314293830.xml&coll=7

How can anyone possibly give a 100% guarantee that a bridge (or any other structure) won't fail?

zilfondel
Mar 20, 2008, 1:17 AM
I rode my scooter over the bridge a few weeks ago... probably the first time I had ever been over it.

Wow. That is one sketchy bridge! It would make an ideal pedestrian or bike bridge, but even on a scooter (25 mph) it felt way too small and rickety. The lane widths and lack of shoulder space or sidewalks in particular.

How can anyone possibly give a 100% guarantee that a bridge (or any other structure) won't fail?

No kidding. All it would take is to tap it once with a barge...

alexjon
Apr 11, 2008, 6:04 PM
Any news?

Sekkle
Jan 7, 2009, 5:22 PM
Controversy surrounds Sellwood Bridge replacement
At penultimate meeting of advisory group, residents claim they’ve been ‘held hostage’
POSTED: 04:00 AM PST Wednesday, January 7, 2009
BY TYLER GRAF

After two and a half years of meetings, studies and discussions, the Sellwood Bridge Advisory Group is gearing up to make its final recommendation about the replacement of the current bridge.

Members of the advisory group joined people from the community on Monday night for the penultimate meeting about the matter.

It proved to be a feisty affair.

County Commission Chair Ted Wheeler called the Sellwood Bridge “one of the biggest infrastructure projects being contemplated on the West Coast.”

But there’s still a vicious divide between stakeholders, who at the meeting continued to debate the merits of the two most popular bridge types: One, called option D, would be a replacement two-lane bridge that would widen at the south end. The other, called option E, would be a replacement four-lane bridge, relocated to the north with public transit lanes.

The most vocal feedback came from residents of the Sellwood Harbor condominiums. If the southern-based option D were built, then some residents would lose their homes.

Multnomah County estimates that four condominiums could be lost as a result of the bridge’s construction.

Many said they were being “held hostage” by the long decision process. These residents said they are unable to sell their homes and move, pending a final recommendation, even though some are old, infirm and require assisted care.

Support for bridge type D came from Bob Russell of the Oregon Trucking Association.
“(Bridge type E) basically replaces one two-lane bridge with another two-lane bridge,” he said.
Bridge type E would also include a roundabout, which would be difficult for freight trucks to navigate, he said.

Sellwood resident Bradley Heinz said he was concerned primarily by the possibility of increased traffic in the neighborhood and what that might mean for safety. He said bridge type D would be safer for residents.

A final recommendation will be made on Jan. 19. A meeting will be held at the OMSI Auditorium, starting at 5:30 p.m.

Once a recommendation is made, it will be taken to the bridge policy group, a collection of elected officials, for approval.

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDetail.htm/2009/01/07/Controversy-surrounds-Sellwood-Bridge-replacement-At-penultimate-meeting-of-advisory-group-residents

I know it’s an important project in the Portland area, but “one of the biggest infrastructure projects being contemplated on the West Coast”? Not sure about that.

Some drawings from the project website…
http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/

Alternative D
http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/BridgeConcepts/Alternatives/AlternativeD.jpg

Alternative E
http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/BridgeConcepts/Alternatives/AlternativeE.jpg

alexjon
Jan 7, 2009, 6:49 PM
D, please

PacificNW
Jan 7, 2009, 7:35 PM
Am I reading the above article correctly? It seems to contradict itself....The bold type states that Plan D would be a 2 lane bridge replacing a 2 lane bridge. Plan E would be a 4 lane bridge (including transit) replacing the 2 lane bridge. Then farther down in the article the options appear to be opposite. Am I blind or not understand something here?

65MAX
Jan 7, 2009, 9:40 PM
I know it’s an important project in the Portland area, but “one of the biggest infrastructure projects being contemplated on the West Coast”? Not sure about that.

It's not even the biggest infrastructure project being contemplated in Portland, let alone the west coast. Hasn't Wheeler heard of the CRC? Or Milwaukie MAX?

And California is starting a $40 billion dollar High Speed Rail project. And Seattle is considering at least 2, maybe more, multi-billion dollar projects. And SF is..... oh never mind. Stick to facts, Wheeler, not hyperbole.

360Rich
Jan 21, 2009, 12:16 AM
Task force OKs $300M Sellwood Bridge plan

A community task force approved a $300 million plan Monday to replace the aging Sellwood Bridge.

The new bridge would require the demolition of four condos to the south of the existing bridge and one townhouse to the north.

The new bridge would be approximately 30 feet to the south of the existing bridge, which would remain open during construction.

The plan now needs approval by a group of elected and appointed leaders that includes representatives from the city of Portland, Multnomah County, Metro and TriMet.

That group will meet next Monday to review the task force recommendation. It is expected to approve the plan in a second meeting on Friday, Feb. 6 at 3 p.m. at the Multnomah County building.

If approved, the Federal Highway Administration would then need to sign off on the project, a process expected to take at least one year.

Construction could begin in 2012. The price tag is calculated in 2012 dollars.

Funding for the project remains unclear.

“Funding is the million dollar question,” said county spokesman Mike Pullen. “It’s probably not a project that will get money from the proposed federal stimulus package because it’s not a shovel-ready project.”

The community task force that made the recommendation includes a cross-section of business and community leaders.

The existing bridge is in need of major repairs or replacement. It has a rating of 2 out of a possible score of 100 from the National Bridge Inventory. To put that in perspective, the Minnesota bridge that collapsed in 2007 had a rating of 50.

http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2009/01/19/daily21.html

CUclimber
Jan 21, 2009, 4:51 PM
I find it incredible that the Sellwood Bridge could cost 1/3 of a billion dollars to replace.

I am glad to see some more movement on the project though.

360Rich
Feb 6, 2009, 7:47 PM
Sellwood Bridge plan would keep existing footprint
by The Oregonian
Thursday February 05, 2009, 9:36 PM

http://blog.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/2009/02/large_sellbridge106.JPG
Brent Wojahn/The Oregonian

A panel of policymakers today is expected to endorse a Sellwood Bridge replacement plan that uses the cracked, 83-year-old bridge's current alignment but forces five families out of their homes.

The decision on a new, $300 million bridge will end more than two years of study and widespread dispute over the route and configuration. Community groups and residents squabbled over whether the old bridge should be renovated, replaced on the existing alignment or built farther north.

At its narrowest point, the new bridge may have only 24 feet of width for vehicles, with one lane in each direction -- the same as the current bridge. However, the new bridge would have more than double that width for bicycles and pedestrians.

A citizen task force spent two years coming up with that solution, in a recommendation Multnomah County Chairman Ted Wheeler called "tremendous work."

The biggest concern with the preferred option was the need to eliminate five condominium units on the east shore of the Willamette River. But all alternatives laid out in a recent environmental study would displace some homes and businesses. The bridge is in a highly developed area and was built over and through a pre-existing office building.

"The reality is that under any plan that we adopt ... we'll displace both residences and businesses," Wheeler said. "That is not something I relish doing. The commitment we have to make to the community is that we'll do everything we can to mitigate the impact on people who'll be displaced."

Serving more than 30,000 cars a day, the Sellwood is the busiest two-lane bridge in the state and the county's highest-priority transportation project.
Policy Advisory Group will vote today

Wheeler, chairman of the 11-member Policy Advisory Group that must approve the plan, said he expects a decision today. The group raised no major objections to the plan outlined by the citizen task force last week.

Catherine Ciarlo, transportation director for Portland Mayor Sam Adams' office, said the mayor supports the task force's recommendation.

"We have heard pretty strongly from the community and stakeholders," Ciarlo said. "A lot of the pieces have fallen into place."

Wheeler would not comment on how he would vote, but along with Adams, four others generally favor the recommendation.

As with many transportation projects, planning has proceeded even though officials don't have the money to pay for the final design or construction.

Wheeler said local cities and counties could be expected to pay $100 million or more.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/2009/02/large_GS.00017548A_SG.SELLWOOD.jpg

TriMet General Manager Fred Hansen said one good thing about the task force's proposal is its ability to be built in phases. Half could be built south of the old bridge, for example, giving motorists a safe new crossing. Then when more money becomes available, crews could replace the old bridge with the northern half of the new bridge, he said.

As recently as three months ago, there was no agreement on anything about the Sellwood Bridge -- except that it needed to be replaced and fast. Rumors of its demise circulated for years, but outcry about the bridge became acute in 2004 when the county, observing cracks and sags, placed a weight restriction that banned buses and trucks.

For more than a decade, the Sellwood neighborhood had pushed for Portland, the county, which owns the bridge, and Metro to endorse the Tacoma Main Street Plan. The Tacoma plan calls for the region to use only two through-traffic lanes on the bridge, which is part of Southeast Tacoma Street.

The logic? Why build more than two lanes on a bridge when it leads to two-lane streets on either side. Both would likely become bottlenecks.
Five proposals considered

So when the county wrote an environmental impact statement last year, it evaluated five alternatives -- A through E -- with no more than two lanes for through traffic.

A December public hearing showed a community divided. Dozens of residents of the Riverpark Condominiums and Sellwood Harbor Condominiums supported Alternative E, which would have built a new bridge to the north. But it would have displaced a 48,000-square-foot office building and come close to a historic church building.

Some residents favored a version of Alternative D, the plan that officials are likely to approve today. It creates a new bridge on the existing alignment but doesn't require closing of the bridge for construction.

Jim Larpenteur, who lives in one of the Sellwood Harbor condos that would be removed by the project, said the neighborhood unfairly tarred the E alignment.

"Those who are opposed to the E alignment will pick whatever argument they can make to attack it," Larpenteur said. "I'm disappointed in the neighborhood for taking the position. I kind of feel like I can't fight this."

In coming weeks, Multnomah and Clackamas county boards, the Portland City Council and the Metro Council are all expected to vote on a bridge plan, but Wheeler said he expects them to abide by today's vote.

-- Dylan Rivera; dylanrivera@news.oregonian.com

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/02/decision_close_on_sellwood_bri.html

deasine
Feb 6, 2009, 11:06 PM
I don't live anywhere near Portland, but is it really necessary to have THAT much space for bike lanes? It looks like there are two lanes of bike lanes per direction according to that article.

To me, it just seems to make more sense to have two traffic lanes, one counterflow lane in the center, and two raised pedestrian/bike corridors (should you decide to use that configuration).

dkealoha
Feb 6, 2009, 11:55 PM
I don't live anywhere near Portland, but is it really necessary to have THAT much space for bike lanes? It looks like there are two lanes of bike lanes per direction according to that article.

To me, it just seems to make more sense to have two traffic lanes, one counterflow lane in the center, and two raised pedestrian/bike corridors (should you decide to use that configuration).

If you haven't been to Portland and seen the rush hour bike traffic, you wouldn't understand... These photos from bikeportland.org of the intersection near the Broadway Bridge.

http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/biketraffic2-11.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2902449926_a72d37412d.jpg

alexjon
Feb 7, 2009, 12:00 AM
Yeah, stand in the middle of any of the sidewalks on the Hawthorne Bridge at rush hour and you'll understand. I stopped walking that way after only 3 days and instead took other routes.

I walk slower than a bike, sigh.

WonderlandPark
Feb 7, 2009, 3:34 AM
What design was chosen? Please, please NOT box girder.

WestCoast
Feb 7, 2009, 4:33 AM
less room for cars and more room for bikes means less people drive and more people ride.

pretty simple really.

it's 2009, what reasonable city planner would want to add lanes of traffic to improve their city :yuck:

RED_PDXer
Feb 7, 2009, 8:57 AM
I'm actually quite pleased with the direction of this project. I'm proud of the neighborhood for standing up to the traffic engineers and auto advocates who call for more auto lanes at all costs. I believe this bridge will get quite a bit of bike traffic in the future. It will provide a connection between the Springwater corridor and the future Willamette Shore trail on the west side. It's the only bridge across the river for miles in either direction.

deasine
Feb 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
Well I know there is a lot of bikes around Portland, but I wouldn't think the Sellwood area has that many. I'm going to pop another question in then: why isn't a pedestrian/cyclists bridge considered?

65MAX
Feb 8, 2009, 2:35 AM
No offense, but it sounds like you don't know Portland that well. There are bicyclists EVERYWHERE, and especially on the Springwater Trail near Sellwood, which recently opened 3 separate bike/ped only bridges to connect gaps in the trail. Bridging the Willamette is a lot more expensive and the cost can't be justified for bike/ped only.

deasine
Feb 8, 2009, 2:51 AM
No offense, but it sounds like you don't know Portland that well. There are bicyclists EVERYWHERE, and especially on the Springwater Trail near Sellwood, which recently opened 3 separate bike/ped only bridges to connect gaps in the trail. Bridging the Willamette is a lot more expensive and the cost can't be justified for bike/ped only.

Of course I don't know Portland well, I don't live anywhere near Portland.

I just don't see the point of rebuilding the entire bridge to expand pedestrian/cycling infrastructure when you could build an entire new bridge just for that. Then again, the bridge itself is aging.

llamaorama
Feb 8, 2009, 5:41 AM
I noticed some of the designs had trusses beneath the road deck? why couldn't bike and pedestrian lanes be situated inside of this structure, making it narrower and saving the houses, and also shortening the length of the ramps that peds and cyclists would have to climb to cross the bridge?

65MAX
Feb 8, 2009, 7:10 AM
Of course I don't know Portland well, I don't live anywhere near Portland.

I just don't see the point of rebuilding the entire bridge to expand pedestrian/cycling infrastructure when you could build an entire new bridge just for that. Then again, the bridge itself is aging.

The bridge isn't being rebuilt just for bikes and pedestrians. It's being rebuilt because on a scale of 1-100, the feds rate this bridge a 2. It's way too narrow for today's traffic, its structural capacity has been downgraded so that large trucks and buses can no longer use it, the narrow sidewalk is treacherous for both bikes and pedestrians, there are significant stress cracks and lots of structural deformation, basically it's on its last legs and they want to replace it before something tragic happens. Since it has to be replaced anyway, they are widening the traffic lanes significantly to modern standards, adding a full bike lane on each side for bike commuters, and a generous raised sidewalk for pedestrians as well as younger and recreational bicyclists who aren't comfortable biking close to cars, trucks and buses. The reason the Sellwood Bridge needs such large bike/ped accommodations is because there are MAJOR parks and regional trails on both sides of the river, literally right on the east and west banks where the bridge crosses, which generate huge amounts of bike and pedestrian traffic.

Regarding putting pedestrians and cyclists underneath the traffic lanes, that idea was brought up earlier in the design phase, but was dismissed due to safety concerns. It was thought that putting bikes and pedestrians out of sight of vehicular traffic would attract criminal activity.

NJD
Feb 8, 2009, 7:10 AM
^^ the buildings would be razed anyway...
http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/img/railTracks-Large.jpg

Okstate
Feb 8, 2009, 7:14 AM
Bridging the Willamette is a lot more expensive and the cost can't be justified for bike/ped only.

Unless of course you're Eugene, which has more bike/ped only bridges crossing the Willamette than auto bridges. :shuffle:

zilfondel
Feb 8, 2009, 9:34 AM
^ I lived in Eugene over 5 years ago, and loved all the ped/bike bridges they had across the Willamette. Of course, the Willamette is tiny there! I used to swim across during those hot nasty summers (maybe not such a good idea, but fun)

Okstate
Feb 8, 2009, 11:19 PM
^ You & your silly rational "logic" :) You didn't happen to be one of those that rode in tubes with a rope attached to a cooler of beer floating behind?

Okstate
Dec 29, 2009, 2:50 AM
Wonder if 2012 is still the projected start date for this. BTW we need to have estimated start/finish dates posted in the forum titles so I don't have to go digging!

Okstate
Sep 7, 2010, 3:40 PM
http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/08/30/public-to-vote-on-sellwood-bridge-design/

http://djcoregon.com/files/2010/08/bridge-type-profile-tiedarch1.jpg
Public votes on Sellwood Bridge design
POSTED: Monday, August 30, 2010 at 04:30 PM PT
BY: Daniel Savickas
Tags: bridges, Sellwood Bridge

A steel tied-arch design was selected in a public vote as the favorite for the replacement Sellwood Bridge. (Photo courtesy of Multnomah County)

The replacement Sellwood Bridge is closer to having a design after a series of votes which let citizens and community groups involved in the project weigh in on the look of the proposed bridge.

With the help of 2,452 online surveys, one third of which were filled out by people living in the Sellwood neighborhood, a 17-member community advisory committee was able to cut its list of prospective designs in half with the overall favorite being a tied-arch design.

Mike Pullen, spokesman for Multnomah County, said before the two separate votes, six bridge designs were being considered for the Sellwood Bridge project, but in both votes three of the bridge types, which happened to be the most expensive, were not scored well among voters.

In the online survey, voters were asked to score the designs from first to sixth place just based on looks. While a tied-arch design received the most first place votes, the girder design received the highest overall rating. In the community advisory vote, which was conducted last night, the steel tied-arch design took first place.

Pullen said the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners should be making the final structure selection by early October.

In the online surveys, voters said that the maintenance of the bridge was the most important criterion when selecting a bridge type, followed by aesthetics and overall cost of the project. Voters also pushed to use any extra money from the project to build a small observation deck on the bridge.

Pullen said the project has also taken major steps in ensuring that it goes off without a hitch. One step is to take a construction manager/general contractor approach to the planning. Pullen said this ensures that the company in charge of building the bridge will also take part in the design aspects of the bridge.

Multnomah County has also hired David Evans and Associates as an owner’s representative on the project. Pullen said that since Multnomah County has never done such a large project, it wants to hire someone who has.

“We get the experience of a firm who has been associated with a project as large as this,” Pullen said. “It gives us more confidence with the project.”

The next step of the project is to have the federal government sign off on the project’s final environmental impact statement, which county officials expect will happen later this month. Upon receiving the OK, the next step is to select a new bridge design and hire a contractor.

MarkDaMan
Feb 1, 2011, 7:03 PM
http://djcoregon.com/files/2011/01/sellwood_3-span-arch_steel-composite-300x185.jpg

Sellwood Bridge design approved by county
POSTED: Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM PT
BY: Sue Vorenberg
Daily Journal of Commerce

Getting people from a wide variety of backgrounds to agree on anything can be a daunting task - but in the case of the design of the new Sellwood Bridge, the struggle appears to have been worth it, according to Multnomah County’s five-member board.

The commissioners on Thursday unanimously approved a new deck arch design and cost-saving features for the Sellwood Bridge replacement, and before the vote each one talked about how impressed they were with the community advisory and public stakeholder committees and their efforts.

“I do feel everyone’s involvement has made this a better process,” said Jeff Cogen, board chairman. He added that he thought the discussion led to a safer and less expensive design.

Commissioner Diane McKeel added that she thinks the process - of involving neighborhood groups, businesses, government representatives and advocates for different users such as bicyclists and drivers - should be repeated in the future on any new efforts.

“I feel this has been a model major capital project,” McKeel said. “I think we’re on the right track.”

In mid January the advisory groups recommended several changes. Some features, such as light-rail tracks, were removed; the size of a road cut was reduced; and the bridge was moved closer to the Willamette River near Oregon Route 43.

That dropped the cost of the bridge from $331 million to $290 million, as estimated in 2014 dollars, said Ian Cannon, bridge project manager for the county.

At the meeting, Cannon noted that the $290 million estimate includes design, engineering and all other features for construction.

“It’s a full-blown estimate,” Cannon told the commission. “No other things are anticipated outside of that.”

Only five people commented before the vote, and they were mostly supportive; minor concerns included the project’s impact on local businesses, the tax costs to drivers, and the bridge’s safety features - including some that haven’t been fully worked out yet.

Terry Parker, who lives near the bridge, said he was concerned that the interests of bicyclists and pedestrians played too great a role in the process, especially considering, he added, the notion that they won’t be paying vehicle taxes to pay for it.

“Given the excessive, super-sized sidewalks and bike lanes that allocate more deck space for bicyclists and pedestrians than for cars, the proposed design of a new bridge is basically a bicycle and pedestrian bridge that only replaces the two existing motor vehicle lanes,” he said, reading a prepared statement to the commission.

“More lavish and wasteful spending can be saved,” Parker added. “By narrowing the sidewalks to a reasonable width and eliminating the pedestrian viewpoints, the disproportionate price tag of the project can be reduced still further with little or no impact on alternative transport mobility.”

Another speaker, Diana Richardson, owner of D.J. Richardson Properties LP, raised some personal business concerns to the commission.

The county wants to lease two blocks of her land near the east end of the bridge during the two-year construction process, said Michael Pullen, a spokesman for the county.

“She has some longtime businesses there,” Pullen said. “But our hope is that we can lease those two blocks for equipment staging and other operations. Nothing’s final yet though. The discussion is just beginning.”

Richardson said she was worried that her business tenants, if they moved during construction, would not move back - which is dangerous in the current economic situation.

“If these businesses move away, they will not be returning. That will be a hardship for myself,” Richardson said.

But she added that she plans to develop the area so it will be ready for tenants at the same time that the new bridge opens.

Greg Miller, speaking for Ironworkers Local 29, said the union supported the steel design for the bridge and hoped the project would get several unemployed members back to work.

“The iron workers are a strong workforce in this community, and many are at home today,” Miller said.

Heather Cook, a resident and an advisory committee member, said she was impressed by the openness of the discussion during the design selection process.

She added that she would like to see a stronger commitment to safety features on the bridge, such as bike signals and signs that indicate roadway users are entering a neighborhood.

“I don’t think we can be noncommittal to something such as safety features,” Cook said.

In the next phase of the project, smaller details will be investigated. Those include what railings will look like, what signals will be used and what signs will be added, Pullen said.

Construction could begin as early as July 2012, he added.

The commissioners also unanimously approved a measure to begin property acquisition for the project. The estimated budget for right-of-way is about $35 million, Pullen said.

During the next steps, Cannon said he hopes to reconvene the advisory groups to get further input on various features of the project.

“It’s absolutely our intention to have the (Community Advisory Committee) come back together for that,” he said.

And Commissioner Deborah Kafoury, who represents District 1, where the bridge will be built, said she’s eager to see the project continue to move along.

“This is a great day,” she said before casting her vote. “I’m very excited.”

http://djcoregon.com/news/2011/01/27/sellwood-bridge-design-approved-by-county/

bvpcvm
May 18, 2011, 5:20 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty_impact/print.html?entry=/2011/05/clackamas_county_vote_jeopardi.html

Clackamas County vote jeopardizes Sellwood Bridge replacement (election results)

Published: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 8:10 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 9:20 PM

Yuxing Zheng, The Oregonian By Yuxing Zheng, The Oregonian

OREGON CITY -- Clackamas County
voters on Tuesday resoundingly rejected contributing to the cost of replacing the Sellwood Bridge, a decision that could delay the project.

Voter turnout in Clackamas County was about 37 percent.

Partial returns indicated voters rejected the fee 63 to 37 percent. The measure called for Clackamas County residents to pay a $5 annual vehicle registration to help raise the county's $22 million contribution for the $290 million replacement bridge.

Clackamas County commissioners unanimously approved the fee last December before former Oregon City commissioner Dan Holladay and Molalla resident Thomas Eskridge led a petition effort to refer the issue to voters.

"This grassroots effort showed the big money and big unions that they cannot push us around," said a "very ecstatic" Eskridge. "This is a strong statement that people are really concerned about where their money is going. We should not be forced to pay for somebody else's bridge, the same as you should not be forced to pay for your neighbor's roof."

Holladay said he was as happy as a clam in mud.

"Voters sent the message that Clackamas County isn't Portland, and it's time for some fiscal responsibility," Holladay said. "The county commissioners need to figure out how to use the money they have wisely instead of just tossing it around for the next green sustainable project, bikes and bike paths. In Clackamas County, we drive cars."

Clackamas County commissioners took a brief break from interviewing the seven finalists for the board vacancy in order to check the election results shortly after 8 p.m.

"I think it's disappointing," Clackamas County Commissioner Jim Bernard said. "I think we worked hard to get the message out but this is a tough time to raise fees and taxes."

Charlotte Lehan, chairwoman of the board, said the county will not be contributing any money to the project now that voters have rejected the fee. "We don't have any money," she said. "If somehow, Multnomah County won't be able to fix the Sellwood Bridge, that's a huge impact on Clackamas County residents."

Critics questioned why Clackamas County residents should pay for a bridge located in Multnomah County and expressed concern that once a precedent was established, county officials could raise the fee or create new ones.

The failure of the measure leaves the project in jeopardy. Combined with an existing $20 million shortfall in funding, Clackamas County's withdrawal spells a $42 million funding gap.

Multnomah County spokesman Mike Pullen has said the county is not optimistic it could make up another $22 million.

"We cannot replace it if we can't pay for it," Pullen wrote in a recent email to The Oregonian. "Without the $22 million from Clackamas County, the project could be delayed, take longer to complete, or be partially completed."

-- Yuxing Zheng

© 2011 OregonLive.com. All rights reserved.

65MAX
May 18, 2011, 8:07 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty_impact/print.html?entry=/2011/05/clackamas_county_vote_jeopardi.html

Clackamas County vote jeopardizes Sellwood Bridge replacement (election results)

Published: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 8:10 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 9:20 PM

Yuxing Zheng, The Oregonian By Yuxing Zheng, The Oregonian

....."This grassroots effort showed the big money and big unions that they cannot push us around," said a "very ecstatic" Eskridge. "This is a strong statement that people are really concerned about where their money is going. We should not be forced to pay for somebody else's bridge, the same as you should not be forced to pay for your neighbor's roof."

© 2011 OregonLive.com. All rights reserved.

Uh, no, it's NOT the same!!! The bridge is part of our infrastructure, and infrastructure is used by EVERYBODY. And we all pay for the roads and utilities leading to your house way out in Molalla. Your neighbor's roof is on private property and is only used by your neighbor. A fourth grader can understand the difference.

....."Voters sent the message that Clackamas County isn't Portland, and it's time for some fiscal responsibility," Holladay said. "The county commissioners need to figure out how to use the money they have wisely instead of just tossing it around for the next green sustainable project, bikes and bike paths. In Clackamas County, we drive cars."

And, so, cars don't use the Sellwood Bridge? More specifically, a boatload of CARS from Clackamas County don't use the Sellwood Bridge? What is fiscally responsible about letting your bridges crumble into the river?

jaxg8r1
May 18, 2011, 2:47 PM
I think they should refund the Multnomah County tax that we have paid the last year on the replacement, and close the current span to everyone except bicyclists and pedestrians. And if they have to build a new bridge, then just toll it heavily. Let the people who use it pay for it, IMO. Especially since from what I've read that is primarily Clackamas County residents.

cab
May 18, 2011, 5:21 PM
Parasites, all they want to do is feed off society without giving anything back. Screw em. Close the bridge.

PacificNW
May 18, 2011, 8:47 PM
Design it to be a toll bridge....

65MAX
May 18, 2011, 10:19 PM
Only if we also toll State Hwys 211 and 213 going in and out of Molalla. I'm not paying for maintenance of Mr. Eskridge's infrastructure. Or the infrastructure of any other idiot who voted against this. :koko:

philopdx
May 19, 2011, 2:47 AM
These cats oughtta team up with the former mayor of Wilsonville who is also happy as a clam in mud that he drove away Solopower and its 481 $51,000 a year jobs by saving $2 million on a property tax abatement (http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/05/after_ditching_wilsonville_sol.html).

They could be the Axis Of Libertarian Awesomeness.

MarkDaMan
May 19, 2011, 4:14 AM
$5 a year...I understand why the PPS bond was lost ever so closely, even though I supported it. BUT FIVE FREAKING DOLLARS A YEAR?!?! I say keep the registration fee for Multnomah County and the local commitments in place, and toll everyone else not a resident. Those commuters from CC are going to be paying more than $5 a week. Mwahahaa!

bvpcvm
May 19, 2011, 5:50 AM
Close the bridge to everyone except bikes and pedestrians, put some food carts on it with lots of open-air seating in the summer.

From what I understand, the idiots who voted this thing down 1) aren't really aware that Multnomah County residents are paying their share and 2) argue that Clackamas County actually has the money, but it's being spent on socialist garbage that they don't want - in other words, stop spending money on crap like bike lanes and sidewalks and gimme my damn road!

2oh1
May 19, 2011, 6:37 PM
Parasites, all they want to do is feed off society without giving anything back. Screw em. Close the bridge.

Agreed. I think it's time to begin seriously discussing closing the bridge and not replacing it. That's the only thing that will completely change the conversation, and many of the same voters who said no to doing their part will see the value of what they're going to lose.

Then, put it back on the ballot.

2oh1
May 19, 2011, 6:39 PM
Close the bridge to everyone except bikes and pedestrians...

...and rename it the Five Dollar Bridge.

davehogan
May 21, 2011, 4:13 AM
Uh, no, it's NOT the same!!! The bridge is part of our infrastructure, and infrastructure is used by EVERYBODY. And we all pay for the roads and utilities leading to your house way out in Molalla. Your neighbor's roof is on private property and is only used by your neighbor. A fourth grader can understand the difference.

And, so, cars don't use the Sellwood Bridge? More specifically, a boatload of CARS from Clackamas County don't use the Sellwood Bridge? What is fiscally responsible about letting your bridges crumble into the river?

Why does the Green Line serve Clackamas Town Center? Why will the Orange Line go into Clackamas County? Why is the state looking at building the Sunrise Corridor?

It's frustrating enough that Washington and Oregon have to fight over funding of infrastructure that benefits both states, but having counties within Oregon within the Portland Metro Area fighting over things that are regionally significant? That's just pathetic.

RED_PDXer
May 22, 2011, 5:07 PM
I think Clackamas County residents feel that they already contribute enough to road taxes (not true in my opinion given the low rate of the gas tax and increased fuel efficiency). They think the new Sellwood Bridge has too many "extras". For example, the westside "interchange" is going to cost $100 million alone. That's because ODOT engineers are controlling the design and requiring a design speed of 45 mph and extra-wide shoulders, basically a highway design. Going with a lower design speed would probably save quite a bit of money and they wouldn't need to cut into the hillside at all. The County could also build the bridge over the same spot as the old bridge, which would close the bridge for a few years. That would save millions. Instead, the County has promised to keep the existing bridge open while the new one is constructed just next to it, and then widen the new one to accommodate more vehicle lanes at the giant intersection with Hwy 43.

Long story short, this bridge can easily be built without the Clackamas County funds and will be built. The fact of the matter is, the Sellwood Bridge isn't used by that many people. It's only 1 lane wide and connects a cemetery with a sleepy Portland neighborhood. $300 million seems like an awful lot to pump into a one-lane roadway connection.

Why not replace it with a medium-sized ferry that costs $3/car and free for bikes/peds. or maybe just a bike/ped bridge... The Sellwood neighborhood would be better off with less cut-through traffic, Hwy 43 would be faster, and the unused funds could pay for more important transportation improvements in the region.

Shilo Rune 96
Nov 9, 2011, 11:51 PM
I just got this in the mail today:

http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/files/phase3/20111102-newsletter-07-for-web.pdf

So construction is starting next month? I didn't have time read everything yet.

Shilo Rune 96
Feb 3, 2012, 7:04 AM
Bridge cam:
http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/?p=construction-camera

Shilo Rune 96
Feb 20, 2012, 12:57 AM
Letter to the Editor: Sellwood Bridge truss could become bike/pedestrian bridge between Milwaukie, Lake Oswego

Now is the time for Metro to begin studying moving sections of the existing Sellwood Bridge to a location next to the Lake Oswego-Milwaukie railroad bridge and building a bridge for pedestrians and bikes. In 2010 the Union Pacific Railroad denied Metro permission to study adding a pedestrian/bike deck on the Lake Oswego-Milwaukie railroad bridge.

Reusing the steel truss from the current Sellwood Bridge is the least expensive way to obtain a pedestrian/bike bridge between Lake Oswego and Milwaukie. The Willamette River is 600 feet wide where the railroad bridge spans the river with two 298-foot through-trusses. Reusing the two 300-foot center spans from the Sellwood Bridge's main truss is a perfect fit. The truss is 20 feet wide allowing for a 14-foot pedestrian bike deck.

At the completion of the new Sellwood Bridge the current bridge structure will be put on barges and floated downstream to a wharf. At that point the concrete deck can be removed, the truss modified, a pedestrian/bike deck installed inside the truss, and the truss painted. Then the truss can be floated upstream and installed on new piers next to the railroad bridge.

A new pedestrian bike bridge will provide excellent access between Lake Oswego and the Trolley Trail in Oak Grove, the (future) Park Avenue Light Rail Station, and Milwaukie.

Fred Sawyer
Oak Grove

Via: OregonLive (http://blog.oregonlive.com/my-milwaukie/2012/02/letter_to_the_editor_sellwood.html).

philopdx
Mar 18, 2012, 7:02 PM
Sellwood bridge update from March 18th, 2012. That temporary shoo-fly bridge is going to be a TIGHT fit against those condos.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/6993676749_deaaf77f21_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7042/6847555520_3e9f93776a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/6993678629_c789a662be_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/6993679539_dab3d46291_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7069/6993680517_75caa58243_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7063/6993681401_7c115ce6cf_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7179/6993668941_c6b7c6aa96_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/6847547616_fcba5c3c3f_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7041/6993670591_5a0f39a85e_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7199/6993671719_32d4d09892_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7051/6993672709_8d11de6745_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7050/6847551902_ea1c776ddb_b.jpg

philopdx
May 6, 2012, 11:35 PM
Update 5-5-2012:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8028/7004309968_a370ec1fee_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8012/7150401281_d6fce3caa8_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8147/7004309240_32781e72ff_b.jpg

Grantenfuego
May 7, 2012, 9:17 PM
Wow. That Shoo Fly bridge is getting crammed in there. Are there still going to be people in those condos while the bridge is there? If so that would be super uncomfortable. It kinda reminds me of pictures of the L train in Chicago whizzing right past people's windows.

MarkDaMan
Jul 18, 2012, 4:15 PM
Committee bewildered by Sellwood Bridge proposal
POSTED: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 03:32 PM PT
BY: Aaron Spencer
Daily Journal of Commerce

http://djcoregon.com/news/2012/07/17/committee-bewildered-by-sellwood-bridge-proposal/

A final design proposal to replace the Sellwood Bridge had city and state officials perched on the edges of their seats Monday – and not with excitement.

“That causes me great concern,” Mayor Sam Adams said. “This is the largest single project of mine in eight years in terms of money invested. … I’m going to have to cut the city transportation budget to absorb these costs.”

Adams’ concern stemmed from two aspects of the proposal: Multnomah County officials estimated the project would cost $299 million, nearly $70 million more than last estimated, and county officials made drastic changes to the bridge’s design to reach that amount.

Adding more fuel to the situation was the fact that the county submitted the proposal late last week, not leaving much time for Adams and other elected officials of the project’s public stakeholder committee to review it before having to make a decision Monday.

“I don’t understand why you proposed such radial changes at the last minute,” Adams said. “Respectively, I’m suffering from whiplash here.”

The changes presented in the proposal included removing a multi-use bike path from the project’s original plan and reworking the bridge layout in a way that pushed most of the bicycle and pedestrian lanes onto the north side of the structure.

County officials said the changes were necessary because of unexpected costs associated with the project. Those costs include a rise in the prices of steel, concrete and other project materials, and an increase in the amount of contaminated soil found on the project’s site. The changes would save more than $2 million, according to county officials.

Committee members weren’t convinced, however. Removing the multi-use path and putting most of the bridge’s bike lanes on its north side would make it dangerous for bikers and pedestrians trying to access the bridge from its south side, they said.

“Certainly a lot of people already risk their lives as far as bicycling and walking up Highway 43, so as long as that changes, we can move forward,” said Metro Councilor Carlotta Collette, who serves as chairwoman of the committee.

Additionally, committee members were confused about why the project’s cost increased in the first place. Although Adams said he recognized that cost estimations usually increase over the course of a project, he also said he was puzzled as to how the project’s could have strayed so far from the original estimate

“I just don’t understand where the cuts will come from,” Adams said. “Seventy million dollars is a big swing, and I’m left wondering where this leaves us.”

County officials justified their actions by stating that there was no way to predict the unexpected costs. And, to come up with the changes, officials worked with independent engineers and citizens, said Multnomah County Commissioner Deborah Kafoury.

“I want to make one thing clear. There are a lot of committees, citizen involvement and staff involved,” she said. “This is not just people making decisions in a room with the door closed by themselves.”

Despite their voiced concerns, committee members approved the proposal, including cost-saving changes such as using concrete instead of steel on the bridge columns and having only one turning lane of the bridge’s west side interchange. Dropped from the final proposal, however, were the suggestions to eliminate the multi-use path and relocate bike and pedestrian lanes to the bridge’s north side.

County officials said their main goal for their proposal was to win approval without running into time delays, which would force project costs even higher. A month-long delay on the project could cost as much as $1 million more, city officials said. The proposal will now go before the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners.

While Adams gave the proposal a thumbs-up vote, he said he plans to meet with Sellwood Bridge project managers and the project’s general contractors, Slayden Construction and Sundt Construction, personally to verify why the cost increased and whether there are additional steps that can be taken to save money.

“I want the project that was proposed six years ago,” Adams said.

philopdx
Jul 19, 2012, 5:44 AM
At least they kept the path.

Grantenfuego
Jul 20, 2012, 9:50 PM
Sellwood Bridge Project design approved by Multnomah County commissioners
POSTED: Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 02:44 PM PT
BY: Reed Jackson

The Multnomah County Board of Commissioners today approved the final design of the Sellwood Bridge Project.

With the approval, construction can begin late this summer on the bridge’s replacement, which will be a steel deck arch bridge. Construction on a detour bridge has already begun.

The board’s decision comes only a few days after Mayor Sam Adams and the project’s public stakeholder committee approved the design, but rejected some of its features, including the placement of bike lanes on only one side of the bridge.

Adams also showed concern about the project’s overall cost of $299 million, which according to him, is close to $70 million more than the project’s original estimated cost (county officials say it’s closer to $30 million).

Despite the design being approved by the committee and now the board, project managers will continue to explore design options to lower the project’s cost, said Commissioner Deborah Kafoury.

The project is expected to finish spring of 2016.

davehogan
Jan 5, 2013, 8:08 AM
So, I'm not sure if anyone else heard about it, but the Sellwood Bridge is going to be shut down from the 17-24 with the move happening on the 19th, weather permitting.

http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/?e=325

I'm thinking I'll probably try to see it, but at least they have the webcam option if you can't make it.

urbanlife
Jan 10, 2013, 4:37 AM
That is just crazy that they are actually going to move the Sellwood Bridge.

cab
Jan 10, 2013, 3:03 PM
Crazy when you realize they are doing it to appease clackamas county commuters even after they pulled their revenue for the bridge. We should of just closed the bridge for the year, could have saved millions in expenses.

PDX City-State
Jan 10, 2013, 5:26 PM
Crazy when you realize they are doing it to appease clackamas county commuters even after they pulled their revenue for the bridge. We should of just closed the bridge for the year, could have saved millions in expenses.

Um... Cities thrive only if people and goods can get to and from work. That's why we have bridges, and roads in the first place.

zilfondel
Jan 11, 2013, 4:06 AM
At this point, I just want the new bridge to be built. Its going to be awesome! Sidewalks, bike lanes, and cycle tracks on both sides!

PDX City-State
Jan 11, 2013, 4:44 PM
At this point, I just want the new bridge to be built. Its going to be awesome! Sidewalks, bike lanes, and cycle tracks on both sides!

I agree. I'm thrilled about this new bridge. I often bike or run the loop along the Springwater Corridor, and over the Sellwood Bridge. Right now, crossing the bridge on a bike or even walking can be terrifying.

maccoinnich
Jan 20, 2013, 7:46 PM
Sellwood Bridge move comes off without a hitch, amazing hundreds of onlookers
By Dana Tims, The Oregonian

on January 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM, updated January 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2013/01/12143676-large.jpg

The Sellwood Bridge on Saturday provided daylong entertainment for a giddy crowd of hundreds of awestruck onlookers, as its 6.8 million-pound span moved -- in what seemed miraculous to many -- inches at a time onto new, temporary supports.

The move came off flawlessly, capping months of intense planning and detailed preparations.

Traveling about six feet per hour, the bridge's 1,100-foot-long steel truss slid so slowly along specially built tracks that actual movement was nearly impossible to discern.

...continues at the Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/01/historic_sellwood_bridge_moves.html#incart_river).

RainDog
Jan 21, 2013, 2:46 AM
100's of people watched a bridge move at 6ft per hour..... :uhh: ....

maccoinnich
Jan 21, 2013, 3:02 AM
It's quite interesting though if you can compress the time down to 90 seconds.

http://www.kptv.com/story/20628356/sellwood-bridges-big-move-set-for-saturday

philopdx
Jan 29, 2013, 3:39 AM
A couple of snaps from the bridge move:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8079/8426126190_e583e5f035_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8508/8426126226_f7f83ef105_b.jpg

tworivers
Jan 29, 2013, 3:43 AM
Nice shots!

dubu
Jan 8, 2014, 12:16 AM
is there some updates on this?

zilfondel
Jan 9, 2014, 10:29 PM
Not much, it looks like there is one concrete support left to remove. Last time I was near it, they had recently poured some concrete abutments for the east side of the bridge, and it looked like the bridge will be much wider than it is now.

You can see here:

http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/?p=construction-camera

maccoinnich
Aug 12, 2014, 7:37 PM
The [old] Sellwood Bridge is for sale:

Bridge for sale: Multnomah County seeks buyers for Portland's 88-year-old Sellwood Bridge

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/pgmain/img/oregonian/photo/2014/07/31/-af8572d128227e25.jpg

By Kelly House

Decrepit. Obsolete. Crumbling. Unsafe.

Given the harsh words used to describe Multnomah County’s 88-year-old Sellwood Bridge, a recycling complex might seem like its most logical destination once crews finish building its replacement in 2016.

Instead, the county is looking to sell it.

The Sellwood’s uncommon construction gives it historic value. As such, the National Historic Preservation Act specifies the county must court potential buyers before demolishing the bridge.

The county will post for-sale ads in The Oregonian and the Daily Journal of Commerce this week.

County leaders aren’t anticipating a flood of interest.

...continues at the Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/08/bridge_for_sale_multnomah_coun.html#incart_river).

maccoinnich
Sep 23, 2014, 6:41 PM
....and no one wanted to buy the Sellwood Bridge.

Sellwood Bridge faces demolition after sale turns up no buyers

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/pgmain/img/oregonian/photo/2014/07/31/-af8572d128227e25.jpg

By Kelly House | khouse@oregonian.com

Nobody wants to buy the Sellwood Bridge.

Multnomah County’s deadline for interested parties to submit plans to purchase and relocated the 88-year-old bridge has come and gone, without a single serious offer.

“Nobody even came out to kick the tires,” County bridge spokesman Mike Pullen said. “We had a tour available for anybody to come out, and we didn’t get a single person.”

County leaders aren’t surprised. They expected this outcome when they put the bridge up for sale back in August. The Sellwood is old and crumbling, and its unusually long 1,091-foot truss span would make moving it a costly and difficult endeavor.

...continues at the Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/09/sellwood_bridge_faces_demoliti.html#incart_river).

2oh1
Sep 24, 2014, 3:59 AM
Awe. I remember a few years ago, before the great recession I believe, there was talk of reusing a bridge, taken from the river and placed instead over the 405 in the Pearl for pedestrians and cyclists. I can't even remember which bridge that was, but I'm sure somebody here remembers. The idea sure was neat... but of course, in the end, it all came down to money (or a lack thereof). Anyway... I knew it wasn't realistic, but I hoped somebody would float the idea again, this time for reusing the old Sellwood Bridge.

bvpcvm
Sep 24, 2014, 4:37 AM
It was the old Sauvie Island bridge.

urbanlife
Sep 24, 2014, 6:44 AM
I figured the Sellwood Bridge would end up being scrap metal. Not much of a loss, it was an okay looking bridge.

maccoinnich
Nov 18, 2014, 8:26 PM
3-day Sellwood Bridge closure expected to jam up Ross Island Bridge, I-5 and Oregon 99E commutes

A three-day closure of the Sellwood Bridge that starts Wednesday morning is expected to create longer commutes for drivers on the Ross Island Bridge, Southeast McLoughlin Boulevard and Interstate 5.

The Sellwood, which carries more than 15,000 vehicles a day, needs to be closed in order for crews to shift traffic from Southeast Tacoma Street onto an east approach to the new $307.5 million bridge, said Mike Pullen, a Multnomah County transportation spokesman.

The bridge will be closed to all traffic from 5 a.m. Wednesday until as late as 11:59 p.m. Friday, Pullen said.

For months, traffic has been running on a temporary bridge as crews build the new span and dismantle the old one. "But as of Friday night, the public will be using about 100 yards of the new Sellwood Bridge on the east approach" from the Sellwood neighborhood, Pullen said. "People are going to notice a big S-curve as they're coming west on Tacoma."

...continues at the Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2014/11/3-day_sellwood_bridge_closure.html).

maccoinnich
Nov 21, 2014, 8:58 PM
Photos: Sellwood Bridge closed for traffic lane shift

The Sellwood Bridge was closed Wednesday morning to allow contractor Slayden/Sundt to shift traffic lanes onto the south side of the bridge’s new east approach. Crews are removing a portion of the concrete bridge railing, removing and relocating signs and light poles, installing new barriers, paving, and striping. When it is re-opened to traffic today, drivers will navigate an s-curve from the east approach to the detour “shoo-fly” bridge.

After the bridge re-opens today, demolition of the eastern span of the old approach will commence, followed by construction of the north half of the approach. On the west side of the project, work continues on the two-level interchange with Highway 43 and construction of retaining walls along the highway’s west side. Work on the river continues with installation of forms in preparation for a concrete pour next week on Bent 5, and underwater demolition of the last pier of the original bridge.

http://djcoregon.com/files/2014/11/1121_Sellwood_Bridge_SA_00_WEB.jpg

...continues at the DJC (http://djcoregon.com/news/2014/11/21/photos-sellwood-bridge-closed-for-traffic-lane-shift/#ixzz3Jjs1KdzN) (no paywall).

PDXDENSITY
Nov 21, 2014, 9:09 PM
...continues at the DJC (http://djcoregon.com/news/2014/11/21/photos-sellwood-bridge-closed-for-traffic-lane-shift/#ixzz3Jjs1KdzN) (no paywall).

I dig the design of the new bridge. Can't wait to see it finished. Really hope this sparks a nice riverfront renaissance on the west side of the river and continues the ongoing infill in Sellwood. I still hold a candle to the idea of a rapid street car to Lake Oswego.

maccoinnich
Nov 26, 2014, 8:49 PM
Sellwood Bridge budget grows beyond $307.5 million, Multnomah County acknowledges

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/pgmain/img/oregonian/photo/2014/11/20/-becd0f1c2295de6e.jpg

Replacing the Sellwood Bridge is as much as $9 million over budget even though Multnomah County officials have repeatedly told the public the $307.5 million project has been on track and within budget.

The disclosure came after repeated questions from The Oregonian. Officials acknowledged costs are now expected to exceed the budget by between $3 million and $9.2 million.

Although the overruns represent only about a 1 to 3 percent increase in the total costs, officials aren't sure how they'll pay for it. The city of Portland and Multnomah County previously agreed to split any overruns.

...continues at the Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/11/sellwood_bridge_budget_grows_b.html#incart_river).

maccoinnich
Jan 18, 2015, 11:11 PM
Sellwood Bridge overruns: County budgeted unusually low amount for unexpected costs

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width960/img/oregonian/photo/2015/01/08/-a3b2695c52447276.jpg

As Multnomah County officials seek to downplay cost overruns on the Sellwood Bridge, public records obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive highlight a key underlying problem: Officials budgeted significantly less money for unexpected costs than government and industry standards call for.

The $307.5 million project includes a 4 percent contingency fund, or $12 million. Federal agencies such as the U.S. General Services Administration recommend contingencies of 7 to 10 percent.

The Associated General Contractors of America says 5 to 10 percent is typical for projects using the county's contracting method for complicated projects, which brings the general contractor onboard at the beginning instead of waiting until designs are done.

...continues at the Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/01/why_the_sellwood_bridge_overru.html#incart_river).

Photogeric
Aug 12, 2015, 2:41 AM
They have really been busy on this bridge!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/546/20314831630_76037f901f_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5617/19880247514_11313d02f3_b.jpg

urbanlife
Aug 12, 2015, 5:45 AM
It is amazing how much wider this new bridge will be.

davehogan
Aug 12, 2015, 8:03 AM

The Adams administration required that it had to be able to carry streetcars in the future. I think those features were mostly built in to the project. I know they were part of the Tacoma Street plan in the late 90's, and I think Sam won that battle with Multnomah County.

Not all the infrastructure is being built now, but the basics will be there so a SoWa extension to Sellwood/Tacoma Street will be more possible in the future. I think this was built in as it became clear Lake Oswego was going to say nope to a MAX line.

The planned routing of the 99X next month via Tacoma to Macadam over the new bridge might be enough for now.

2oh1
Aug 12, 2015, 7:07 PM

It's amazing how narrow the old bridge was!

What's the ETA for completion?

davehogan
Aug 13, 2015, 6:30 AM
It's amazing how narrow the old bridge was!

What's the ETA for completion?

Early 2016, with the Western Interchange a few months later.

maccoinnich
Feb 6, 2016, 3:27 AM
Two public events planned to mark new Sellwood Bridge opening

http://portlandtribune.com/images/artimg/00003537513991.jpg

Multnomah County has two community events planned to mark the opening of the new Sellwood Bridge — a final Feb. 25 walk across the original bridge before it is dismantled and a Feb. 27 celebration on the new bridge before it opens to traffic on March 1.

The original bridge, which has remained in use while the new bridge was built, will close to traffic for the last time at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 25. Half-an-hour later, it will reopen to residents from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. for one last chance to say goodbye. Participants are invited to bring flashlights, electric candles, and phone lights for a final walk across the 90-year-old span.

Those taking part should assemble at the east end of the bridge sidewalk at Southeast Grand Avenue before the procession starts at 7:30 pm. There will be time to walk from east to west and back again. The bridge will need to be cleared by 8:30 p.m. so that work to set up the new bridge for traffic can begin.

...continues at the Portland Tribune (http://www.pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/292224-169484-two-public-events-planned-to-mark-new-sellwood-bridge-opening).

65MAX
Feb 6, 2016, 11:00 AM
Wow! I didn't realize they were that close to opening the new bridge. That's fantastic.

zilfondel
Feb 7, 2016, 6:02 AM
Bridge opening ceremony is on February 27th, from noon to 4pm.

maccoinnich
Feb 26, 2016, 8:13 PM
Reminder: new Sellwood Bridge opening tomorrow.

New Sellwood Bridge opening won't end commute headaches right away

http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width960/img/oregonian/photo/2016/02/23/-d50ca8008318dee8.JPG

The new Sellwood Bridge opens to traffic Tuesday, but that doesn't mean the long-running traffic nightmare in the area is over.

Several key pieces of the project remain undone, and some can't move forward until the old bridge — used since 2013 as a detour around the new, unfinished span — is removed.

"There's a lot of work that remains to be done," said Multnomah County spokesman Mike Pullen. "It's not like the Tilikum Crossing, where they had the party and it was 100 percent done."

Here are four commuting headaches that aren't going away yet.

...continues at the Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2016/02/new_sellwood_bridge_opening_wo.html#incart_river_index).

maccoinnich
Jul 14, 2016, 5:48 AM
Removal of old Sellwood Bridge marks end of an era

http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/files/phase3/blog/20160630.jpg

After 90 years of serving the public, the original Sellwood Bridge will be only a memory in a week’s time. The last steel span of the original bridge is scheduled to be lowered to a barge on July 12. Removing the old bridge has been one of the most visually interesting parts of the Sellwood project, with many people watching as a familiar landmark slowly disappears.

To understand how the bridge is being deconstructed, it helps to remember its history.

The Sellwood Bridge was built in 1925. To save money, the bridge was built as one continuous 1100-foot long four-span truss perched on concrete piers.
In January 2013, the steel truss was slid north and attached to temporary steel piers, which allowed the bridge to be open to traffic while the contractor built the new Sellwood Bridge on the same alignment as the original bridge. Traffic continued to use the old bridge in its new location for three years while the new bridge was built.

When the new bridge opened on February 29, 2016, the original bridge closed and the contractor began the complicated task of removing the old bridge and its temporary supports.

About the demolition team

Since the old bridge was built as one continuous 1100-foot long span, it could not easily be dismantled and removed in sections. It was also coated in lead-based paint, a known health hazard. A specialized team was assembled to deal with these challenges and get the old bridge safely down.

General contractor Slayden-Sundt and McGee Engineering teamed with Emmert International of Clackamas. Emmert International has moved complicated structures ranging from the Spruce Goose (the gigantic wood airplane built by Howard Hughes, which was delivered to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville) to the Hotel Fairmount in San Antonio (the largest building ever moved on wheels).

A complicated project

In the past (and still in some parts of the world today) old bridges are taken down with explosives. This has not been done in Oregon for decades, for obvious environmental and safety reasons. Instead, the old Sellwood Bridge is being cut into sections and carefully lowered by hydraulic jacks onto a barge, which will minimize impacts to neighbors, nearby structures, fish species and water quality.

Cutting a thousand-foot-long bridge into sections is not straightforward. Subcontractor Staton Companies began the demolition process by cutting and removing the concrete deck, railings and sidewalk from the old bridge, leaving the green steel skeleton of the truss spans sitting on steel supports. About 2,300 tons (4.6 million pounds) of concrete was removed and recycled as fill material for construction projects.

Strengthening steel was then added to the temporary piers and truss section to counter the forces applied during lowering. Long steel tie-downs were attached to the stub ends of the truss spans to hold the sections in place after the center sections were cut and lowered.

Finally, the cutting began. Workers used oxy-acetylene torches to cut the steel truss span free at each end. The truss span is 28 feet high, so cutting each span section free took at least one day.

The spans were then lowered 50 or 60 feet onto the decks of the barges. The team started lowering each span around dawn and completed the process by evening. Each section weighed between 400,000 and 500,000 pounds and had to be lowered perfectly in unison onto the barge.

Each span was then cut into two or three sections to fit on separate barges and taken ten miles north to the Schnitzer Steel facility, where they were processed for recycling.

Next steps

The in-water work period begins in July. After the truss spans and steel supports are removed, a marine subcontractor will begin removing the 80 steel piles that supported the temporary bridge. By this fall, there will be no remaining sign of the old bridge. The new Sellwood Bridge will have the view all to itself.

...from the Sellwood Bridge website (http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/?e=748).

maccoinnich
Nov 22, 2016, 8:54 PM
Slayden-Sundt joint venture finish Sellwood Bridge

http://pamplinmedia.com/images/artimg/00003562569364.jpg

On Wednesday, the busiest two-lane bridge in Oregon will be officially complete.

A decade in the making, the new Sellwood Bridge is the largest project Multnomah County has ever taken on, estimated at $325 million — much more than the amount of the Sauvie Island bridge, which cost $43 million.

...continues at the Business Tribune (http://pamplinmedia.com/but/239-news/333199-212421-slayden-sundt-joint-venture-finish-sellwood-bridge).

maccoinnich
Feb 26, 2017, 7:55 PM
The new multiuse path under the bridge is now open. I think that's all the work complete.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/maccoinnich/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/ABDC3C3C-248F-48C0-BF97-4FFE815B8BAE_zpsx5uyvicu.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/maccoinnich/media/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/ABDC3C3C-248F-48C0-BF97-4FFE815B8BAE_zpsx5uyvicu.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/maccoinnich/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/F28A7127-3BA1-4D20-AF60-E3682EEAEC29_zpsv4r5u26w.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/maccoinnich/media/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/F28A7127-3BA1-4D20-AF60-E3682EEAEC29_zpsv4r5u26w.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/maccoinnich/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/AACC9027-1140-4D90-9C31-5B6547317D57_zpsurkonwym.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/maccoinnich/media/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/AACC9027-1140-4D90-9C31-5B6547317D57_zpsurkonwym.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/maccoinnich/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/CC3B0C38-590D-4B5A-A307-6BFB19427D14_zpsrxgevleq.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/maccoinnich/media/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/CC3B0C38-590D-4B5A-A307-6BFB19427D14_zpsrxgevleq.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/maccoinnich/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/70FFD8C6-1980-423F-A364-09497D788C0F_zpsadgutuaj.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/maccoinnich/media/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/70FFD8C6-1980-423F-A364-09497D788C0F_zpsadgutuaj.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/maccoinnich/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/A6B24C41-283C-4F62-B42A-1E950663BC12_zpsauqsmwqt.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/maccoinnich/media/skyscraperpage/sellwood%20bridge/A6B24C41-283C-4F62-B42A-1E950663BC12_zpsauqsmwqt.jpg.html)

hat
Feb 27, 2017, 12:12 PM
Awesome. Is that last picture looking south showing a new path? How far does that path go? Are the detours on to 43 gone? Thanks for the pics.

maccoinnich
Mar 2, 2017, 1:24 AM
Awesome. Is that last picture looking south showing a new path? How far does that path go? Are the detours on to 43 gone? Thanks for the pics.

I don't think there's a formal trail going south, but I didn't check it out. Long term there's a regional goal to get a trail all the way to Lake Oswego. Going north the bridge is fully connected to the Willamette Greenway Trail, via a newly repaved SW Miles Pl. There's no need to walk or cycle on Macadam any more.