PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland Weather Central

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

mr.x
Nov 26, 2007, 6:25 AM
From the Weather Network for Vancouver:

From Sunday Overnight to Monday Evening we expect 5-10cm of snow and 5-10mm of rain.

Oh I can only hope...
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/dawnd_01/Autumn%202007/01b0a7c6.jpg

cornholio
Nov 26, 2007, 8:46 AM
snow sucks unless on mountains or hills.

SpongeG
Nov 27, 2007, 12:38 AM
snow at higher elevations they said on the noon news

and sea level will see rain or sleet

i have no idea where burnaby sits it might see both

bils
Nov 27, 2007, 12:44 AM
we're getting chunky rain in richmond as of 430pm today

SpongeG
Nov 27, 2007, 2:39 AM
nothing here but rain (Burnaby brentwood mall areA)

someone123
Nov 27, 2007, 2:53 AM
It snowed for a bit around UBC then switched over to rain. There's a bit of slush on the ground.

In my opinion this is about one month early.

mr.x
Nov 27, 2007, 3:07 AM
it's a bit messy out here in UBC, a lot of slush and it's raining wet snow.

Canadian Mind
Nov 27, 2007, 4:06 AM
it turned from rain to snow about 3:00pm this afternoon over here in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island, shoudl stay that way overnight as another cold front is moving in.

nikw
Nov 27, 2007, 4:30 AM
i got close to 5 cm in about 1 hour near my place near horseshoe bay...it was crazy for about an hour before it turned back into slush at around 715. The strange thing is that it seems everywhere else is fine, when i was driving west along the upper levels it wasnt even raining untill i got to the eagleridge construction, then it was suddenly like a blizzard.

SpongeG
Nov 27, 2007, 4:45 AM
it looks like snow but its mostly rain over here

the roads are wet but not freezing

sounds like Abbotsford and the valley are having it tough - and south surrey and white rock have been hit with snow, black ice and they says one stretch of king george hwy has cars all over in the ditches

good times

squeezied
Nov 27, 2007, 6:33 AM
i remember a year ago(last monday of november) ubc was closed due to a power outage caused by the SNOW!

SpongeG
Nov 27, 2007, 6:35 AM
yes we had a big snow dump on november 25/26th

thats the day i went to work on skytrain

i only know that cause i made a video for youtube - lol - and thats when it was uploaded

crazyjoeda
Nov 27, 2007, 9:51 PM
I just got home from Hong Kong yesterday where it was 30c. I had a nap around noon and when I woke up there were 5cm of snow on the ground here in White Rock. I had forgotten it was winter. I like the snow though.

mr.x
Nov 27, 2007, 9:55 PM
I just got home from Hong Kong yesterday where it was 30c. I had a nap around noon and when I woke up there were 5cm of snow on the ground here in White Rock. I had forgotten it was winter. I like the snow though.

it's 30c in Hong Kong (plus humidity)????? i hope it's cooler when i hop on a plane over there in a month.

SpongeG
Nov 27, 2007, 11:01 PM
we got robbed! no snow here - lol

apparently new west was looking like a winter wonderland

bils
Nov 29, 2007, 7:04 AM
get ready for some hardcore cold & snow this weekend. it's not really showing up on the local forecasts quite yet.... but if you take a peek at some other websites you'll see what's coming :banana:

SpongeG
Nov 29, 2007, 8:15 PM
its suppossed to get really cold like below zero

mr.x
Nov 30, 2007, 7:10 AM
it's -1c in Vancouver right now at 11 pm....if only we had percipitation right now, which would equate to snow!!!! there's a possibility, depending on conditions on monday, that ubc will close....nevermind sfu, it would be fun to see the buses go up the hill however. :D

SpongeG
Nov 30, 2007, 7:46 AM
it was sort of snowing when i crossed the port mann around 10:30

nothing heavy just the odd flake

bils
Dec 1, 2007, 4:33 AM
maybe... just maybe ... they'll be right this time. blaine washington is forecast to get 5-10cms of snow, so I would lean towards that for the metro area.....

-----------------
Greater Vancouver
3:25 PM PST Friday 30 November 2007
Snowfall warning for
Greater Vancouver issued

Snowfall amounts of 15 to 25 cm over east and Inland Vancouver Island and 5 to 15 cm elsewhere by Sunday morning.

This is a warning that significant snowfall is expected or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system will develop just offshore of Vancouver Island tonight. It will combine with cool Arctic air to produce snow over most areas of the south coast Saturday through Sunday morning. Strong easterly outflow winds through the mainland inlets will help to enhance precipitation over the eastern side and inland sections of Vancouver Island where snowfall accumulations of 15 to 25 cm are expected by Sunday morning. Elsewhere snow amounts of 5 to 15 cm can be expected.

Canadian Mind
Dec 1, 2007, 6:33 AM
i'm hoping for a good foot of snow, I need to practice my winter driving. problem is that the bottom storey of my house is right at sea level, as such substantially warmer than even just 50 feet up. often there will be snow in the trees and on my roof, but none on the ground.

mr.x
Dec 1, 2007, 6:42 AM
i hope it keeps snowing into monday....finals are killing me.

Canadian Mind
Dec 1, 2007, 6:43 AM
Suck it up. Post on here less and study more. :P

although i agree with the hope for snow on Monday. passing the 30cm mark would be nice.

mr.x
Dec 1, 2007, 6:50 AM
Suck it up. Post on here less and study more. :P

although i agree with the hope for snow on Monday. passing the 30cm mark would be nice.

lol well i'm pretty much on track with my studies even though i spend 90 mins each day on the forums (SSC/SSP), followed by maybe 30 mins of facebook/msn....and the rest is study time which is usually 3-4 hours per night.

thankfully, my first exam isn't until next next monday.

i want a snow day just for the heck of it!

mr.x
Dec 1, 2007, 7:15 AM
Two days of snow heading our way

Gerry Bellett, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, November 30, 2007

VANCOUVER - The weather man is promising Lower Mainland residents an interesting weekend with snow in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday, followed by a rapid rise in temperatures with high winds and lots of rain early next week.

Environment Canada issued snow warnings late today as an anticipated five to 10 centimetres of snow was expected in the Vancouver area over the weekend, with snow beginning late Saturday.

Temperatures will remain at around zero before rising to about 4 C as snow turns to rain Sunday afternoon.

Monday will see a warming trend continue, with temperatures peaking at about 12 C as a front containing subtropical moisture moves across the southern parts of the province.

The weather office said it expects to post a storm warning for Monday, with winds of 40 kilometres an hour to 60 km/h expected in the Vancouver area later in the day, combined with heavy rain.

The storm will punch its way through the Fraser Valley and into the Interior and could bring freezing rain to parts of those areas overnight Monday.

On Tuesday, the weather is expected to be mild with showery conditions.

Vancouver and other cities in the region have made plans to deal with what is promising to be the year's first large snowfall. Vancouver has called in 14 truck drivers to begin work at 7 a.m. Saturday salting roads, especially around hospitals and in steep sections of the city. Crews have been salting streets since the weather turned cold, said Murray Wightman, the city's manager for streets.

"We'll have a full shift change overnight Saturday to keep on top of things and to clear whatever snow we have to deal with," said Wightman.

In Burnaby, works crews were loading up the city's 11 salt trucks today, and road crews were given notice they will likely be called out to clear roads.

Richmond will have some road crews come in over the weekend to salt roads ahead of the snowfall, said Suzanne Bycraft, an official with the city's emergency response program.

"We'll salt first. Then if the snow builds up, we'll put the plows out," Bycraft said.

gbellett@png.canwest.com

SpongeG
Dec 2, 2007, 1:08 AM
oh dear its white out

mr.x
Dec 2, 2007, 5:52 AM
the snow's falling heavily at UBC, about 5 cms right now.

1ajs
Dec 2, 2007, 6:04 AM
sweetness get out and injoy the snow you guys...

SpongeG
Dec 2, 2007, 6:23 AM
enjoy it?

everyone is driving about 30 kmh down the lougheed highway

its pretty brutal - no snow clearing when i was out a couple hours ago

apparently there are cars all over the ditch along the I5 north of bellingham

and its just a dusting of snow - barely a dump

haha

1ajs
Dec 2, 2007, 6:27 AM
enjoy it?

everyone is driving about 30 kmh down the lougheed highway

its pretty brutal - no snow clearing when i was out a couple hours ago

apparently there are cars all over the ditch along the I5 north of bellingham

and its just a dusting of snow - barely a dump

haha
so go get a case of beer at the beer store on yer ski's :P

SpongeG
Dec 2, 2007, 8:05 PM
and get to the ski hill how?

haha

its crappy

suppossed to warm upo to 11 or 12 c tomorrow and bring heavy rain to wash it all away :) including hitting the mountains with rain

i got stuck in the little driveway at work today twice - argh

never had to get out but it took a long time to get up the stupid little slope

mr.x
Dec 2, 2007, 8:47 PM
0c, and it's coming down really hard right now....snowflakes are the size of quarters. there's 12cms where i live.

mr.x
Dec 2, 2007, 10:20 PM
temperature rose to 1c, and i think it's turning into wet snow now :(....only a matter of time before it turns into torrential rain.

SpongeG
Dec 2, 2007, 11:08 PM
yay i can get home than

Canadian Mind
Dec 2, 2007, 11:11 PM
no signs of it turning to rain here, just heavier snow.

argon007
Dec 2, 2007, 11:49 PM
yeah
i don't trust the weather report.

mr.x
Dec 2, 2007, 11:53 PM
it's all rain out at UBC....lots of slush now.

bils
Dec 2, 2007, 11:55 PM
still snowing & 1C in richmond

just across the border in blaine it's 6C and raining. the end is near. get ready for some major rain & flooding issues tomorrow

SpongeG
Dec 3, 2007, 12:01 AM
looks like rain here now (Burnaby) and seems a little warmer out

SpongeG
Dec 3, 2007, 2:51 AM
theres been a flood warning released now

the pineapple express is gonna bring lots of run ontop of the melting snow

i know i drove through a few puddles the size of small lakes earlier on my break

mr.x
Dec 3, 2007, 2:57 AM
Flood warning issued for Metro Vancouver

Sunny Freeman, The Vancouver Sun
Published: Saturday, December 01, 2007

METRO VANCOUVER - Officials issued a flood watch Sunday as a perfect storm of torrential rains, melting snow and heavy winds was forecast to wreak havoc on rivers, sewers and trees across the Lower Mainland until Tuesday.

A "pineapple express" system of subtropical air from Hawaii was projected to usher in warm moist air and heavy rainfall Sunday night, meaning that river levels are expected to rise and may exceed river banks, B.C. Minister of the Environment Barry Penner said Sunday.

Environment Canada on Sunday issued high-rainfall warnings for Greater Vancouver, Howe Sound and the western Fraser Valley. Rainfall levels were projected to reach 80 millimetres in Greater Vancouver between Sunday night and Tuesday morning, said John McIntyre, forecaster for Environment Canada.

A rapid rise in temperature, set to reach an unseasonable 12 degrees today, compounds the risk of flooding because precipitation sitting on the ground in the form of snow will turn into water, McIntyre said.

A low-pressure system combined with cold air from the Interior brought six centimetres of snow overnight Saturday in the Greater Vancouver region, said McIntyre.

Skiers and snowboarders in Whistler woke up to a 16 centimetre snow dump overnight Saturday, covering the mountain in a 110-centimetre snow base. Some communities on Vancouver Island saw as much as 40 centimetres of snow Sunday.

As heavy snowfall transformed the Lower Mainland into a Winter Wonderland Sunday, transit officials said they were excited to see the precipitation turn back to Vancouver's familiar rain late Sunday.

"I never thought I'd say this in Vancouver," said TransLink spokesman Drew Snider. "But, I'm looking forward to the rain."

Throughout the weekend, trolley buses had problems coping on routes with hills and higher elevations, getting stuck and stalling in the snow. The SkyTrain system experienced false alarms on the platform triggered by the heavy snow.

Police checked cars for snow tires on the Sea to Sky Highway, issuing fines and turning people back if their tires did not have the proper 3.5-millimetre tread, said Whistler RCMP spokesman Cpl. Joe Leeson.

On Saturday, the snow delayed departures at YVR by about 15 minutes. But there were no delays on Sunday departures due to winter conditions, said Diana Barkely, director of communications for Vancouver Airport Authority.

All runways were operational, but Barkely said there were delays on arriving flights due to stormy weather conditions in cities across the continent. Many regions across Canada are experiencing stormy winter weather, with major storm systems battering Ontario and the Maritimes as well as the West Coast.

Weather warnings were still in place Sunday night for much of B.C., Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes, with snow and severe weather expected across the country.

sfreeman@png.canwest.com

SpongeG
Dec 3, 2007, 11:09 PM
pretty much 90% of the snow is gone now

not even much slush - the roads are clear to bare :)

MistyMountainHop
Dec 4, 2007, 1:11 AM
pretty much 90% of the snow is gone now

not even much slush - the roads are clear to bare :)

It's back to normal Vancouver again.

SpongeG
Dec 4, 2007, 1:39 AM
http://www.gvrd.bc.ca/media/2007/2007-12-03-HeavyRainfallExpectedtoCauseDrinkingWaterTurbidity.pdf

^^^

Drinking-water turbidity
Metro Vancouver has issued a cloudy-tapwater warning for residents of the Lower Mainland. Visit the Metro Vancouver media page.

basically says people will notice cloudy water and people with compromised immunity should not drink the tap water

mr.x
Dec 4, 2007, 3:44 AM
not again..... -_- ....didn't it happen one year ago today as well?

the snow is completely gone in my backyard.

mr.x
Dec 4, 2007, 4:10 AM
Rainfall warning for: Greater Vancouver
Issued at 4:20 PM PST MONDAY 3 DECEMBER 2007
FURTHER RAINFALL AMOUNTS UP TO 50 FOR GREATER VANCOUVER INCLUDING THE NORTHSHORE MOUNTAINS..FRASER VALLEY..WEST VANCOUVER ISLAND AND UP TO 80 MM FOR HOWE SOUND THROUGH TONIGHT. THIS IS A WARNING THAT SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

Wind warning for: Greater Vancouver
Issued at 4:20 PM PST MONDAY 3 DECEMBER 2007
SOUTHERLY WINDS OF 60 TO 90 KM/H IS EXPECTED OVER GREATER VANCOUVER EAST VANCOUVER ISLAND SUNSHINE COAST AND WESTERN FRASER VALLEY AND HOWE SOUND THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH EVENING. NORTHERLY OUTFLOW WINDS OF 80 TO 100 KM/H WILL CONTINUE FOR THE CENTRAL COAST - COASTAL SECTIONS TODAY AND TONIGHT. THIS IS A WARNING THAT POTENTIALLY DAMAGING WINDS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

UPDATE: The Stanley Park seawall is closed again, there has been another major slide.

SpongeG
Dec 4, 2007, 4:11 AM
i was just outside on my break and its warm

i had my coat on and was way too warm

bils
Dec 4, 2007, 7:58 AM
expect cold and possibly snowy weather again this weekend!!

Canadian Mind
Dec 4, 2007, 8:30 AM
oh for fuck sakes.

global warming (?) at it's best.

Oh, anyone else notice ocean swells? Even without high tide the ocean level is about ready to encroach on my neighbours property (across the street).

mr.x
Dec 4, 2007, 8:36 AM
^ it shouldn't be called global warming, climate change is more proper.

SpongeG
Dec 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
did you see whats going on WA state and Or?

the I5 was in some parts under 10 feet of water!

mr.x
Dec 5, 2007, 3:19 AM
anybody see the huge rainbow today?

zivan56
Dec 5, 2007, 7:29 AM
^^ Yep, got a bunch of pictures (including one where it emerges between 2 buildings). There was also a double rainbow at one point.

mr.x
Dec 14, 2007, 12:02 AM
a few blocks in West Point Grey, including my house, has received a centimetre of snow....but it seems like it is the only place in the whole darn city that had snow, not even UBC.

SFUVancouver
Dec 14, 2007, 12:26 AM
It's snowing at SFU

mr.x
Dec 22, 2007, 9:13 PM
there's like two cm's of snow where i live.

SpongeG
Dec 22, 2007, 10:36 PM
nothing where i am

funny though i can see all the roofs in surrey and metrotown area have snow on them

and quite a few cars but its green and wet here - lougheed/brentwood mall area

mr.x
Jan 9, 2008, 6:32 AM
not exactly about weather....but i heard that there were two major earthquakes in the province over the past few weeks while i was gone. is that true?

bils
Jan 9, 2008, 7:13 AM
yea but they were way off the coast of the queen charlottes. no damage or anything. the headlines were basically saying it's a "reminder" that we live in a seismic area. i think they registered 6.5 or so

worldwide
Jan 9, 2008, 7:16 AM
nothing where i am

funny though i can see all the roofs in surrey and metrotown area have snow on them

and quite a few cars but its green and wet here - lougheed/brentwood mall area

haha. the 22nd was the day i rode my bike out to tsawassen to the ferry. there was tons of snow from sfu all the way to boundary bay. not too much in the gaglardi/lougheed hwy area though.

the weather is crazy up here at my home at sfu. i swear there has been snow on the ground for over a month. i live in a wintery bubble in the city

mr.x
Jan 9, 2008, 8:21 PM
another one today:

Strong 6.1-magnitude earthquake strikes near Queen Charlottes
CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A large, 6.1 magnitude earthquake rumbled off coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands Wednesday.

The earthquake occurred in the Pacific Ocean around 6:40 a.m. local time, about 180 kilometres south of Queen Charlotte City.

"It wouldn't be surprising if we got one or two reports of minor shaking," Stephane Mazzotti, a seismologist with the Geological Survey of Canada said Wednesday.

"There wasn't any damage because the earthquake was . . . too far away from any populated place for that."

This was the third earthquake to hit the island region in the past five days.

On Saturday, two earthquakes both measuring in at 6.5 magnitude occurred an hour apart, about 50 kilometers south of Wednesday's earthquake.

Mazzotti said earthquakes are common in the area because it is a "triple junction," a place where three large tectonic plates intersect.

"These plates grind past each other creating a hot spot for earthquakes," he said. "We have earthquakes there all the time. It's a routine event."

Despite the strength of this recent earthquake, an expert said it was not strong enough to trigger a tsunami.

"It was a large earthquake and if it happened on land, it would've been capable of destroying buildings," said Bill Knight, a spokesman with the West Coast Alaska Tsunami Warning Center.

"But from a tsunami perspective, it was not large enough to produce a tsunami."

Usually, a tsunami would only be triggered by an earthquake with a magnitude of seven or higher. Knight said another risk factor is that smaller earthquakes - those within the mid-sixes range - can cause landslides or avalanches that can trigger a tsunami.

B.C.'s largest threat for a tsunami would be a ripple effect if a large enough earthquake were to hit Alaska's remote Aleutian Islands, he added.

If that happened, it would take three to three-and-half hours for the tsunami to reach Canadian soil. The strongest rumble felt in the region was in 1949, with experts recording an earthquake at 8.1 magnitude.

SpongeG
Jan 9, 2008, 10:15 PM
yikes

Jan 9, 2008, 11:03 PM
The earthquake today was the 6th one in that area since Saturday and the third one over 6 magnitude.

IRIS Seismic Monitor (http://www.iris.edu/seismon/last30.html)

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/views/eveday_big//imgs/topMap.eveday_big.gif

mr.x
Jan 10, 2008, 12:19 AM
so....are we getting a new volcano? or is it that dreaded Big One that's coming? or will it be nothing?

bils
Jan 10, 2008, 5:43 AM
T

IRIS Seismic Monitor (http://www.iris.edu/seismon/last30.html)

looks like another biggie hit off the coast of oregon sometime this afternoon

SpongeG
Jan 10, 2008, 6:09 AM
yah i just heard that

they are getting closer

bils
Jan 10, 2008, 6:53 AM
err, why's it snowing in richmond?

cornholio
Jan 10, 2008, 9:31 AM
Magnitude 6.4 quake off Oregon coast
Reuters
Published: Wednesday, January 09, 2008

WASHINGTON - A magnitude 6.4 earthquake struck off the central Oregon coast at 8:37 p.m. EST tonight, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The temblor was located about 240 kilometres west-northwest of Barview, Oregon, at a depth of 9.98 kilometres, the USGS said.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said no current warning or advisory was in effect following the quake.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Lanny Boston, the fire chief in Bandon, Ore., also 240 kilometres from the site of the quake off the Oregon coast, said he had not felt the quake and had received no reports of damage.

Something is definitely going on, though i wonder if its decreasing the odds of the big one right now or increasing them.. I guess no one really knows the answer for sure.

SpongeG
Jan 10, 2008, 8:23 PM
err, why's it snowing in richmond?

the lower mainland was suppossed to get 5-10cm overnight - same for thursday

SpongeG
Jan 15, 2008, 1:10 AM
whats going on out therE?

the radio makes it sound like downtown is in a hurricane is iT?

they said Robson street is shut down

intersections are chaos without lights and power out all over the place?

is it really like that?

its calm out here in burnaby

weird

mr.x
Jan 15, 2008, 1:36 AM
it's really windy out here at UBC.

SpongeG
Jan 15, 2008, 4:20 AM
we lost power for about 1 minute out here an hour or so ago

its crazy windy outside now - and its freezing cold

mr.x
Jan 15, 2008, 4:24 AM
we lost power for about 1 minute out here an hour or so ago

its crazy windy outside now - and its freezing cold

there's a windchill of -5c.:sly:

Canadian Mind
Jan 15, 2008, 6:10 AM
Not that cold. Nows the time to go out and grow some thicker skin. :P

SpongeG
Jan 15, 2008, 6:15 AM
i haven't felt cold that cold since living in ontario or northern BC

ick

when i lived up north we laughed at lower mainlanders who said 1c was cold

now i am one - lol

Canadian Mind
Jan 15, 2008, 8:10 AM
i've never really lost my temperment for cold since moving here from Alberta. -20 Still doesn't faze me, although I am getting kinda scared of -30 to -40 again. :P

Actually, the worst for me is between -5 and +5, because the air is still moist, and then the wind blows, and it sucks the heat right out of me. It its between 0 and -5 for a week, or lower than -10, then most the moisture disappears, and I can walk around in a t-shirt again.

mr.x
Jan 20, 2008, 3:56 AM
All that talk about the Prince George ice jams, have they ever thought about using explosives? -_-

Lead
Jan 20, 2008, 5:34 AM
Yea I read somewhere awhile ago that they were considering using explosives, ice breakers, or pumping in hot water to free up the ice on the river.

mr.x
Jan 20, 2008, 5:37 AM
Yea I read somewhere awhile ago that they were considering using explosives, ice breakers, or pumping in hot water to free up the ice on the river.

Too much talk, not enough action...

SpongeG
Jan 20, 2008, 7:05 AM
the problem was the fraser was frozen up so the nechako would have no where to go

mr.x
Jan 26, 2008, 2:43 AM
the problem was the fraser was frozen up so the nechako would have no where to go

Blow up the ice!!! How hard can it be? I can't believe they've allowed it to go this bad:

Nechako ice jam doubles to 11 km

Becky Rynor, Canwest News Service
Published: Friday, January 25, 2008

The Nechako River ice jam pushing its way through Prince George has doubled in length since Saturday, prompting the Red Cross to launch an emergency appeal to help residents forced out of their homes by flooding.

"There's going to be a significant financial need," said Red Cross spokeswoman Christine Finnerty.

"This is having an impact. Some people may be out of their homes for another couple of months."

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=7d82d418-bf60-4505-8913-a6e600d337e7

That said, major snowfall warning for Metro Vancouver tonight :D :

Snowfall warning for: Greater Vancouver
Issued at 3:47 PM PST FRIDAY 25 JANUARY 2008
SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 5 TO 10 CM EXPECTED OVER THE SOUTH COAST EXCEPT 15 CM OVER HOWE SOUND. HIGHER AMOUNTS OF 15 CM ARE FORECAST FOR BELLA COOLA AND UP TO 25 CM NEAR STEWART. THIS IS A WARNING THAT SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.

SpongeG
Jan 26, 2008, 6:45 AM
bring it on (already)

mr.x
Jan 27, 2008, 8:18 PM
didn't snow at UBC, but i heard east of Burnaby got huge dumps.

towerguy3
Jan 27, 2008, 9:00 PM
15 cm 6 inches at Burnaby Golf Course as of 12:30 pm

SpongeG
Jan 27, 2008, 9:37 PM
at brentwood there is a little bit of snow the main roads are clear

but in coquitlam/lougheed mall area its insane - white out blizzard

I started to drive to work but had to turn around and take the skytrain

cars are all over the side of the road not able to make it up Austin road, north road i saw at least 3 accidents and a couple of cars not able to go anywhere

saw a few cars in the ditch along lougheed and one spun out in the median

i have some pics but have to wait till i get home

there must be a good 10 cm or more on the ground

there were two snow blowers out clearing the sidewalks! snow blowers!

saw a bus stuck

its the complete opposite 10 minutes away near brentwood

hopefully its heading west - hehe - its gonna be a mess if it does

SpongeG
Jan 28, 2008, 8:20 AM
and now some pics

my driveway
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03208.jpg

austin - where cars were just not making it up the hill - can't really see but there were a number of cars pulled over and a bus
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03209.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03210.jpg

there was a pileup on north road
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03211.jpg

this car got stuck and i watched it just spin out for a few minutes - in the time i waited it never got anywhere
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03212.jpg

from the station
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03213.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03215.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03217.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03219.jpg

SFUVancouver
Jan 28, 2008, 8:23 AM
It's so random that those photos were taken on the same day as these:

Taken by me today [Sunday January 27th]:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2162/2225109626_2a4544ff8d_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2296/2224317171_f51d0104e5_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2345/2225113970_c892b50f76_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2414/2225113708_60eb94de1b_b.jpg

SpongeG
Jan 28, 2008, 8:27 AM
i know right? so weird

i got off the train at brentwood and it was like a completely different day

i called home and it snowed heavy like that for about 2 hours after i left

walking home the streets were icy and barely any cars on the road - if it snows again overnight tomorrow's commute should be fun

SFUVancouver
Jan 28, 2008, 8:37 AM
Tell me about it. I've got to head up the mountain pretty early and then zip to Vancouver in the evening.

Here was my shot of the day:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7955/p1050209nt4.jpg
My photo taken Sunday January 27th

mr.x
Jan 29, 2008, 9:09 AM
it's snowing heavily right now, -1c. there's like 2cms in my yard.

SFUVancouver
Jan 29, 2008, 5:35 PM
About half a foot on Commercial Drive Tuesday morning.
I wonder how much SFU got?

There was already about a foot yesterday before this recent dump. Here are a couple shots I took Monday morning.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1553/p1050210bp3.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5511/p1050211oe6.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7889/p1050212hw8.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2673/p1050213sz5.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/856/p1050216ox1.jpg

My photos

SpongeG
Jan 29, 2008, 6:18 PM
commuter chaos - i hear there are a lot of busses stuck and a lot of streets closed - broadway was closed for a while as the 99 was stuck - it has just reopened

granville and 16th busses are struggling

front street in new west is closed

SpongeG
Jan 29, 2008, 6:23 PM
no busses to SFU today

and whats going on with west coast express? its not running?

SpongeG
Jan 29, 2008, 6:37 PM
ah just heard that the west coast derailed or a derailment was preventing it from running past coqutilam

SFUVancouver
Jan 29, 2008, 7:45 PM
Downtown from my window.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/549/p1050219tz9.jpg
My photo

Jarrod
Jan 29, 2008, 9:12 PM
Here in Comox it didn't snow very much... less than a cm... but in Courtenay it snowed more and I'm guessing Cumberland snowed a lot too... Comox almost always gets missed by the snow.

mr.x
Jan 30, 2008, 2:26 AM
UBC's administration must surely be incompetent...they didn't cancel classes, even though almost every other institution in the region did - even Langara. My classes were more than half empty today. There's about 8cms in my neighbourhood.

Anyhow, some pics of the snow at around noon today...in and around West Point Grey and UBC:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1503/dscf1845yc8.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/263/dscf1846lr1.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1590/dscf1847ub3.jpg

One of the houses to the right, hidden by the trees, is Gordon Campbell's house. :D Now you know.
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5489/dscf1848qy9.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8995/dscf1851rc0.jpg

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3896/dscf1852ul2.jpg

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2006/dscf1854pb1.jpg

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/428/dscf1849fi4.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1452/dscf1850ca9.jpg

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9435/dscf1855ee7.jpg

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/859/dscf1856qc2.jpg

SpongeG
Jan 30, 2008, 4:09 AM
there were some pissed off students on the news wondering why as they waited two hours for a bus

they said they had probably already missed the first class and one said he was going to go home as it was pointless

SpongeG
Jan 30, 2008, 8:13 PM
more snow! on top of the snow!
and more snow forecast - what a week

SpongeG
Jan 31, 2008, 9:38 AM
yucky snow on wednesday

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03226.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03227.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC03228.jpg