PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

ihateittoo
Jan 29, 2014, 11:59 PM
great news! any predictions? or insider info?

I personally can not think of any building other than an office tower with that kind of space downtown. What is the size of the old BMO space at jackson?

Dr Awesomesauce
Jan 30, 2014, 1:21 AM
^Would the old Bank of Montreal building work? They'll need classrooms and lots of office space. If renovated, it might be an interesting choice, I guess. Could the old Eaton Centre be a destination? Perhaps Stelco Tower. My fear is that they'll be hidden away in an office building somewhere.

ScreamingViking
Jan 30, 2014, 5:11 AM
If the website linked here is current:
1 James N (http://www.realpropertieslimited.com/hamilton/1-james-street-north-availability.html) (the old BMO pavilion) has less than half the space Mac is using at the courthouse.
100 King W (http://www.realpropertieslimited.com/hamilton/100-king-street-west-availability.html) (Stelco Tower) has more than enough available space.

Thing is, at $14/sq.ft it's way above the lease deal they're getting from the city, noted in that CBC story - $180k to $1.4 million would be quite the jump.

The Hamilton City Centre would be a great place for either Mac or Mohawk. I haven't been in there since last spring, but there was lots of vacant space in the mall and aside from some city offices I think much of the old Eaton's is available too.

oldcoote
Jan 30, 2014, 2:55 PM
Although they have 100,000 sq ft in the current location, I see them streamlining and cutting space. I think the BMO Pavillion would be perfect. Brings life back that concourse and is ideally located close to the bus terminal.

Of course, in an ideal world, I'd love to see them build new on an existing parking lot.

SteelTown
Jan 30, 2014, 3:05 PM
When City Hall moved out of City Centre there was movement to have Mac/Mohawk take over. However, Peter George was finishing up his term.

Pearlstreet
Jan 30, 2014, 7:11 PM
I just visited the new breakfast bar that opened next to the fire hall (here at the corner of John St. & King William (https://maps.google.ca/maps?safe=off&q=john+and+king+william&ie=UTF-8&ei=BabqUsvaBIOBygHvpoCYBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ)). They had a guitarist singing and playing in the back, the place was packed and conversation flying around of how the area is really booming during the whole visit. What a change of vibe in that area! From methadone clinic blues to this; closing bingo sleaze and steak houses! Pinch me.
http://i57.tinypic.com/18kx9e.jpg

Hope they keep this guy, the atmosphere was terrific! So many artists, we need them in our restaurants!

oldcoote
Jan 30, 2014, 7:38 PM
When City Hall moved out of City Centre there was movement to have Mac/Mohawk take over. However, Peter George was finishing up his term.

As much as Jackson Square is improving, City Centre is declining. An assortment of dollar stores and tackiness. It would be a horrible campus.

oldcoote
Jan 30, 2014, 7:40 PM
I just visited the new breakfast bar that opened next to the fire hall (here at the corner of John St. & King William (https://maps.google.ca/maps?safe=off&q=john+and+king+william&ie=UTF-8&ei=BabqUsvaBIOBygHvpoCYBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ)). They had a guitarist singing and playing in the back, the place was packed and conversation flying around of how the area is really booming during the whole visit. What a change of vibe in that area! From methadone clinic blues to this; closing bingo sleaze and steak houses! Pinch me.
http://i57.tinypic.com/18kx9e.jpg

Hope they keep this guy, the atmosphere was terrific! So many artists, we need them in our restaurants!

I really want to like this place, but I waited 30 minutes for a takeout order. I hope it was a one-off, and I'll give them another shot, but major red flags for me.

rousseau
Jan 30, 2014, 10:53 PM
Artists see soul on King Street

Two purchases and reno projects are injecting new life into this downtown corner

"It's a step up for the area," Colangelo says...

While much of the talk about getting people to move into the downtown core is about the megaprojects like the condo conversion of the Royal Connaught...

"We've been hearing that Hamilton is the new exciting place to be...

International Village BIA executive director Susie Braithwaite has seen 17 new businesses open in the last year.

Pfffff....what do these people know? Just ask the Hillbilly Heaven guy. He saw the writing on the wall with the new bus lane. It's going to destroy the whole downtown. "We're the first DT biz to close due to traffic, but won't be the last."

I don't believe there were 17 new businesses on King Street in one year. It's all lies. Lies, I tell you!

ScreamingViking
Jan 31, 2014, 7:46 AM
As much as Jackson Square is improving, City Centre is declining. An assortment of dollar stores and tackiness. It would be a horrible campus.

I agree with what is has become. But wouldn't an infusion of people change its fortunes, or at least its atmosphere?

ScreamingViking
Jan 31, 2014, 8:00 AM
Pfffff....what do these people know? Just ask the Hillbilly Heaven guy. He saw the writing on the wall with the new bus lane. It's going to destroy the whole downtown. "We're the first DT biz to close due to traffic, but won't be the last."

I don't believe there were 17 new businesses on King Street in one year. It's all lies. Lies, I tell you!

Isn't there an ancient Jedediah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beverly_Hillbillies) prophecy about the Chosen Lanes bringing balance to the Core? :cool:

CaptainKirk
Jan 31, 2014, 4:52 PM
I agree with what is has become. But wouldn't an infusion of people change its fortunes, or at least its atmosphere?

Yeah, it's got to change sooner or later, especially with the 20 storey condo complex going up right across the street beside the Lister block, and the Tivoli condos one block to the north of that.

Then of course we have the Connaught condos being built right now, a couple blocks to the east.

How could it not change?

ihateittoo
Jan 31, 2014, 5:14 PM
How could it not change?

Don't want to scare anyone, but it may be cursed. (Maybe because it's built on the ancient burial ground of our old city hall.)

flar
Jan 31, 2014, 5:33 PM
I would kind of like the City Centre to be demolished and replaced with some office towers. I'm dreaming of course, since no offices seem to land in downtown Hamilton. But the City Centre is so ugly and inappropriate for that location. I know they added a few windows, but it has no interaction with the street and the crappy pomo architecture is ugly as hell. I can't stand that light greenish colour and the fake clock tower complete with fake flags. How hard would it have been to have real flags?

matt602
Jan 31, 2014, 6:25 PM
The City Centre isn't going to get better unless it gets back some destination retailers. For all intents and purposes, the Le Chateau, La Senza and Fairweather are pretty much in Jackson Square anyway. Unless that happens, all the condo towers in the world aren't going to change it. Jackson Square has been doing this and you can see the change it has resulted in.

Skully2001
Jan 31, 2014, 8:01 PM
The City Centre also needs a good power wash, seriously it's filthy and they also need to remove those gawd awful awnings which are also filthy and still bear the scrubbed off (but still legible) logos of the stores that used to make it worth coming to...Ben & Jerrys, TD, etc...at least remove 'em and replace 'em with new awnings...

And while they're at it, paint the rusty pedestrian walkway so it's a bit more presentable...

you know, have a bit of pride in the place!

CaptainKirk
Jan 31, 2014, 8:40 PM
Don't want to scare anyone, but....

Ummm...you did scare me! :gaah:

ScreamingViking
Jan 31, 2014, 9:02 PM
The City Centre isn't going to get better unless it gets back some destination retailers. For all intents and purposes, the Le Chateau, La Senza and Fairweather are pretty much in Jackson Square anyway. Unless that happens, all the condo towers in the world aren't going to change it. Jackson Square has been doing this and you can see the change it has resulted in.

But new downtown residents (and workers) will improve the market for retail, which may help attract new stores.

After it was purchased in 2011 the new owner talked about "finding tenants in the creative and tech sectors (http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2213931-hamilton-city-centre-sold-for-25m/)" (here's another Spec story (http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2223424-city-centre-mall-aiming-to-be-a-part-of-james-north-revival/) written a year later).

I think a change in purpose might be the best idea. I'd prefer new retail to be on the street first, and in Jackson Square second. City Centre creates too much mall space downtown.

The whole building does need a makeover, inside and out. It could be a great space with all that light, but the pastel colour scheme needs to go. I like that they originally went with a brick exterior, but I've never cared for those colours either.

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 1, 2014, 2:21 AM
Personally, I don't think it's ever going to work - it never has and it never will. Yeah, the first couple years seemed OK - the Gap, Eddie Bauer and a few other decent retailers drew some customers in off the street. But long term, the building's going to need to be renovated to be, as already mentioned, more welcoming to people on the street and generally more attractive. And if you're going to go so far as to renovate, well, you might as well just knock the damn thing down. I mean, who's idea was it to add that clock tower and the flags?!? Time to go.

It is a big space, however and like some others, I think it could work, perhaps, as an annex to the Convention Centre. Perhaps...

lucasmascotto
Feb 1, 2014, 2:08 PM
Dining out options increasing for downtown residents

A "build it and they will come" approach to downtown redevelopment is starting to pay off.

In this case, years of emphasizing condo and other residential development in the core is attracting a new crop of restaurants catering to a growing core of downtown residents with disposable income.

City statistics show 94 restaurants opened or changed hands in Hamilton last year, with 29 of those eateries located in Ward 2, the downtown core. Adding those opening in Ward 1 and Ward 3 (west and central Hamilton) accounts for just over half the total.

"Our planning policies are certainly part of the answer for what's happening, but they're not the whole story," said Glen Norton, the city's downtown development co-ordinator. "Some of it is definitely businesses getting ready for new people living downtown.

"There are many condo towers under construction but the number of completions isn't that high yet."

Norton also noted the fact downtown employment has increased in recent years is another factor drawing new businesses.

The city's most recent estimates show 24,000 people working in the downtown core "and not all of them are going to be carrying their lunch. We're definitely getting people out of the office towers."

City estimates also say 16,000 people live in the core, covering a broad range of income groups.

The new crop of downtown eateries include half a dozen fine dining establishments, a gourmet burger bar, a pair of Italian ristorantes, and a smattering of Asian dining rooms and pizza-by-the-slice counters among others.

Observers also say population changes may account for some of the demand for new restaurants.

Kathy Drewitt, executive director of the Downtown Hamilton Business Improvement Area, noted the Columbia College residence in the core has brought a large number of Asian students there — people with some money to spend and a yearning for the tastes of home.

"They do seem to concentrate in the core," she said.

At the eastern end of the core, International Village BIA executive director Susie Braithwaite said the tastes of new core-area residents is also driving some of the change.

"These are people who are looking for unique places to shop and spend their money," she said. "They're being drawn away from the corporate kind of places like Kelsey's and Montana's.

"The challenge for the restaurant owner is to come up with something that's different from the rest."

The city list includes both new establishments, eateries where the licence holder has changed and in at least one case, a restaurant that opened and closed in 2013 — the controversial Hillbilly Heaven downtown.

movingtohamilton
Feb 2, 2014, 5:05 PM
The city list includes both new establishments, eateries where the licence holder has changed and in at least one case, a restaurant that opened and closed in 2013 — the controversial Hillbilly Heaven downtown.

Yes, the HH restaurant was controversial. The owner tweeted that he'd be happy to talk with anyone about the issues in ward 2, so I took him up on the offer. We chatted a few months before HH closed. Among other things he had concerns about the viability of businesses (other than cheque-cashing) on King Street E including: a high number of absentee landlords with no interest in improving their buildings; too many drug-addled panhandlers and street people (two nearby methadone clinics); an ineffectual BIA which he felt is more like a cheerleading organization, rather than being a business-focused group lobbying for the local business interests.

I don't have contrary information to challenge his views. What say you?

CaptainKirk
Feb 2, 2014, 5:11 PM
I don't have contrary information to challenge his views.

The article you're quoting is contrary.

A sis the article and pics I posted Jan 26 in t his thread

movingtohamilton
Feb 2, 2014, 9:52 PM
The article you're quoting is contrary.

A sis the article and pics I posted Jan 26 in t his thread

I'll go back and read your Jan 26. post.

Meantime, who wrote the article from which I took a tiny quote, and where was it first published?

I should have mentioned that my conversation with HH owner focused mainly on his section of King East. But nothing in my conversation with him is contradicted by the article: it's pretty much an article about how great everything is going for restaurants in the core. The actual reasons for his business failure are not known to me. Rumours and speculation are not facts. Maybe he was just not a good entrepreneur.

But I think the International Village BIA is more about marketing, less about lobbying, etc. I also see that it has been helping to rent out the old HH space since it closed. It's still for rent.

CaptainKirk
Feb 2, 2014, 10:32 PM
The actual reasons for his business failure are not known to me. Rumours and speculation are not facts. Maybe he was just not a good entrepreneur.

He blames it on the bus lane.:koko:

I'll find some background on his short lived business.

he was controversial. Are yo unaware of the controversy surrounding his use of the Confederate flag and his reactions towards people concerned about that?

BTW, the article and pics I posted Jan 26 are directly across the street form where HH was

CaptainKirk
Feb 3, 2014, 12:28 AM
He blames it on the bus lane.:koko:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4187756-hillbilly-heaven-owner-blames-bus-lanes-for-closing-down/
The southern barbecue joint that courted controversy this year by displaying a Confederate flag and operating without a valid business licence has announced online it will close this weekend.

"We're the first DT biz to close due to traffic, but won't be the last," said Cameron Bailey from the Hillbilly Heaven Twitter account Thursday, announcing the downtown location will close at 9 p.m. Saturday.

Bailey pointed to the new bus-only lane installed on King Street as the reason for throwing in the towel.

Like some of the commenters say, he's blaming his failed business because there are too many people downtown. Ridiculous. Strange how his business lasted mere days after the bus lane began. I don't buy it.

I'll find some background on his short lived business.

He was controversial. Are you aware of the controversy surrounding his use of the Confederate flag and his reactions towards people concerned about that?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/residents-angered-by-hamilton-eatery-s-confederate-flag-1.1301290

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03/04/owners-of-the-hamilton-bbq-restaurant-hillbilly-heaven-defend-choice-to-splash-window-with-confederate-flag/
“That’s how it works in this country. If you don’t like something, don’t buy it,” said Mr. Bailey, who has drawn ire from community activists before for posting a sign by the cash that said halal, rice, kabob, shawarma and other items are “things we don’t have and never will.”

CaptainKirk
Feb 3, 2014, 12:29 AM
...who wrote the article from which I took a tiny quote, and where was it first published?

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4346318-dining-out-options-increasing-for-downtown-residents/

And this is the area https://www.facebook.com/internationalvillage.bia

movingtohamilton
Feb 3, 2014, 3:43 AM
... Are yo unaware of the controversy surrounding his use of the Confederate flag and his reactions towards people concerned about that?

I'm well aware of that "controversy".

Are you aware that a Hamilton food truck also got caught in the downdraft, and had to deal with its Confederate flag? Apparently some people thought there were 2 kinds of Confederacy symbols: the "bad Confederate flag" used by that no-good so-and-so at Hillbilly Heaven; on the other hand, and using some bizarre logic, there is a "good Confederate flag" that was painted on a local food truck called The Dirty South! The "bad flag" guy was a racist, apparently; the "good flag" food truck people are just hipster chefs who really aren't racist.

In the end, the flag at HH came down, and the food truck got repainted.

CaptainKirk
Feb 3, 2014, 5:43 AM
^^^ Yup, followed that story with interest, but not aware of the good flag/bad flag thing. First I've heard of that.

Not sure if all the publicity was good or bad for business or had no affect, but I can't believe it was the bus lane that caused him to close in a few days.

Has anyone heard, is he running for council?

mattgrande
Feb 3, 2014, 1:33 PM
I'm well aware of that "controversy".

Are you aware that a Hamilton food truck also got caught in the downdraft, and had to deal with its Confederate flag? Apparently some people thought there were 2 kinds of Confederacy symbols: the "bad Confederate flag" used by that no-good so-and-so at Hillbilly Heaven; on the other hand, and using some bizarre logic, there is a "good Confederate flag" that was painted on a local food truck called The Dirty South! The "bad flag" guy was a racist, apparently; the "good flag" food truck people are just hipster chefs who really aren't racist.

In the end, the flag at HH came down, and the food truck got repainted.

It's not the difference between "good flag/bad flag." It's the difference between "Confederate flag on a Dukes Of Hazzard themed truck" and "a confederate flag, alongside intolerant literature about 'speaking english' and 'we won't server halal.'"

He hasn't registered yet, and he hasn't updated his website or twitter account in ages, so I doubt it. There's still lots of time, though.

movingtohamilton
Feb 3, 2014, 3:37 PM
...Not sure if all the publicity was good or bad for business or had no affect, but I can't believe it was the bus lane that caused him to close in a few days.

Blaming the bus lane for the state of his business was very lame. Ditto for the shop across the street from Hillbilly Heaven, whose owner blamed HH for the poor state of her business!

movingtohamilton
Feb 3, 2014, 3:44 PM
It's not the difference between "good flag/bad flag." It's the difference between "Confederate flag on a Dukes Of Hazzard themed truck" and "a confederate flag, alongside intolerant literature about 'speaking english' and 'we won't server halal.'"

I agree with you. Context is really important. But in the end, flags came down.

I would be very surprised if Cameron Bailey will be running for council. He's certainly fallen off the radar since HH closed.

CaptainKirk
Feb 4, 2014, 3:32 PM
http://www.bymadeleine.ca/images/madeleine_wordmark_tag_final_ko.png
http://www.bymadeleine.ca/images/madeleine_140127_dscf0726.png

Located at 51 King William Street, just down from the historic Lister Block and a short walk from King and James.

Visit us
Bakery hours Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5 pm starting February 4th, 2014

Also specially for February 14th we will be at Lister Block for Hamilton Art Crawl

http://www.bymadeleine.ca/contact.html#.UvEHOj1dXko

CaptainKirk
Feb 4, 2014, 8:51 PM
260 King St E

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfpsRTQCUAIhQHH.jpg

CaptainKirk
Feb 4, 2014, 8:59 PM
Also in International Village, just opened...

Staxx Burger Chicken & Waffle House
236 king st east Hamilton

https://twitter.com/staxxhamilton

movingtohamilton
Feb 4, 2014, 9:38 PM
^^ I signed up to be notified when classes at Madeleine are starting. Bread-baking!

matt602
Feb 4, 2014, 10:40 PM
Great to see that the retail units in the Terraces building will finally be filled up now. The IV is booming :)

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 5, 2014, 12:46 AM
260 King St E

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfpsRTQCUAIhQHH.jpg

Klassy. ;)

Good to see something open in that building.

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 5, 2014, 12:52 AM
http://www.bymadeleine.ca/images/madeleine_wordmark_tag_final_ko.png
http://www.bymadeleine.ca/images/madeleine_140127_dscf0726.png

http://www.bymadeleine.ca/contact.html#.UvEHOj1dXko

A minor thing but to me this shop is unidentifiable by the name. I know that a madeleine is a baked treat but the name and signage doesn't scream 'bakery.' If not for the link, I'd have no idea what it was. Once it opens, however, I'm sure they will have the front window filled with goodies, so there will be no confusion.

CaptainKirk
Feb 5, 2014, 1:27 AM
Once it opens, however, I'm sure they will have the front window filled with goodies, so there will be no confusion.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfpVRteCUAEXjQN.jpg

Joy, owner of Made for You By Madeleine
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfpVpv8CIAApqRZ.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bfpv8zgCMAAVOWK.jpg

CaptainKirk
Feb 5, 2014, 1:55 AM
Klassy. ;)

Good to see something open in that building.

Do you mean "something else"?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/7259846376_2000eed56c_b.jpg

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 5, 2014, 2:06 AM
Re Madeleine

That's better.

Re Accoutrements

Yeah, I know about that place - never been in. Is this new cafe in the bay beside Accoutrements or has 'Eat Me' replaced it?

CaptainKirk
Feb 5, 2014, 2:23 AM
Re Accoutrements

Yeah, I know about that place - never been in. Is this new cafe in the bay beside Accoutrements or has 'Eat Me' replaced it?

Wish I knew how to capture a Google street view.

Looks like 2 bays west of Accoutrements

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 5, 2014, 2:50 AM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/terracesonking_zps9e5d2f32.png (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/the_dude1974/media/terracesonking_zps9e5d2f32.png.html)

Here, right?

Pearlstreet
Feb 5, 2014, 2:56 AM
28Lister (http://28lister.com/)

Eh Panini (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eh-Panini/171380866397581?ref=stream)

Pearlstreet
Feb 5, 2014, 3:03 AM
Here, right?

Yup. An additional store.

CaptainKirk
Feb 5, 2014, 4:05 AM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/terracesonking_zps9e5d2f32.png (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/the_dude1974/media/terracesonking_zps9e5d2f32.png.html)

Here, right?

Hey! How'd you do that? :shrug:

Yeah, looks like the spot after examine the first image. (Black thingy on wall beside door):tup:

coalminecanary
Feb 5, 2014, 2:33 PM
Hey! How'd you do that? :shrug:

Get this asap :-)
http://getgreenshot.org/

CaptainKirk
Feb 6, 2014, 4:52 AM
Thanks! :tup:

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz98/jamestkirk2/2014-02-0509_58_01-DowntownUpdate-Page123-SkyscraperPageForum_zpsb0d9814b.png

oldcoote
Feb 6, 2014, 4:18 PM
Great news ...

McMaster has chosen the heart of Hamilton for relocating its downtown classrooms and offices from the current Downtown Centre. The move allows 200 staff and 4,000 students to remain in the city’s core.

McMaster has been contributing to the downtown for the past 13 years at the DTC. The building at Main and John is owned by the city of Hamilton which now requires the space for its own purposes.

“We’re pleased to announce that McMaster is taking over more than 50,000 square feet of space at 1 James North, right at the corner of James and King,” said Roger Couldrey, McMaster’s vice-president, Administration.

- See more at: http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/article/mcmaster-renewing-its-long-time-commitment-to-downtown-hamilton/#sthash.ucNPAHC2.dpuf

ihateittoo
Feb 6, 2014, 4:20 PM
I kind of wish I wasn't right.

"“We’re pleased to announce that McMaster is taking over more than 50,000 square feet of space at 1 James North, right at the corner of James and King,” said Roger Couldrey, McMaster’s vice-president, Administration."

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/article/mcmaster-renewing-its-long-time-commitment-to-downtown-hamilton/

Don't get me wrong i think it's a good fit and i am glad they are staying downtown. But i always though something really neat could be done to that building.

coalminecanary
Feb 6, 2014, 4:50 PM
the scotiabank building?

ScreamingViking
Feb 6, 2014, 4:53 PM
This is terrific. It's great for Jackson Square and City Centre, but also good for the adjacent streets. And that building has sat empty for years.

I wonder if Mac will be taking over the main level too, and the LCBO will do the move that people here have talked about?

CaptainKirk
Feb 6, 2014, 5:36 PM
McMaster has chosen the heart of Hamilton for relocating its downtown classrooms and offices from the current Downtown Centre. The move allows 200 staff and 4,000 students to remain in the city’s core.

McMaster has been contributing to the downtown for the past 13 years at the DTC. The building at Main and John is owned by the city of Hamilton which now requires the space for its own purposes.

“We’re pleased to announce that McMaster is taking over more than 50,000 square feet of space at 1 James North, right at the corner of James and King,” said Roger Couldrey, McMaster’s vice-president, Administration.

“When the city informed us we would have to move, our top priority was keeping staff and students together and in the downtown. Contributing to the developing vibrancy of downtown has been an important part of our decision-making and Yale Properties has been a very supportive partner in helping us find space that can be designed in a flexible manner that meets our needs now and into the future.”

Among those services and units moving are:

The Centre for Continuing Education
University Financial Affairs
Institutional Research and Analysis
University Advancement

The University is leasing the whole building at 1 James North, which is part of the Jackson Square retail and office complex. The new location is easily accessed by public transit, offers ample nearby parking and is in close proximity to a wide array of services and amenities. It’s also just two blocks away from McMaster’s new Health Campus which is currently under construction at Main and Bay, and just two blocks from the current Downtown Centre location

With the new location confirmed, the University will begin planning for the move. It is expected units and services will be relocated in stages to limit disruption to students, the delivery of services and business operations

Jason Farr email

CaptainKirk
Feb 6, 2014, 5:42 PM
the scotiabank building?

Old BMO bldg.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz98/jamestkirk2/2014-02-0612_45_53-kingandjameshamiltonon-GoogleMaps_zps04a0aeaa.png

(See what i did there?) ;)

I wonder if Mac will be taking over the main level too, and the LCBO will do the move that people here have talked about?

That's what I've been hearing. Look for a whole new entrance to JS with Mac on the ground level as well.

ScreamingViking
Feb 6, 2014, 6:16 PM
That's what I've been hearing. Look for a whole new entrance to JS with Mac on the ground level as well.

Even more awesome. It's a perfect opportunity for Yale to make some improvements.

All that glass will be a good change from the courthouse. I like the building, but it is a bit of a bunker (at least for the classrooms).

Better access to quick food options is another plus.

flar
Feb 6, 2014, 7:31 PM
Great news. That's about as prime a location as you can possibly get in Hamilton.

lucasmascotto
Feb 6, 2014, 7:37 PM
Mac moving into Jackson Square pavilion
The Hamilton Spectator
By: Meredith MacLeod

McMaster University has signed a lease to take over all three floors of the glass pavilion over Jackson Square known as 1 James North.

The university's 4,000 yearly continuing education students and 200 staff currently housed in its Downtown Centre at Main and John must move out of that city-owned building because it's now needed to house provincial offences courtrooms and offices.

"When the city informed us we would have to move, our top priority was keeping staff and students together and in the downtown. Contributing to the developing vibrancy of downtown has been an important part of our decision-making," Roger Couldrey, McMaster's vice-president of administration is quoted as saying on McMaster's Daily News website.

In addition to continuing education, staff with financial affairs, institutional research and analysis and university advancement will move into the space, which was once home to the Bank of Montreal.

It has been largely empty since the bank moved into a new branch and office space at Bay and Main in 1997.

The conditional deal was finalized Wednesday, says Yale leasing manager Jocelyne Mainville. It still must be approved by the university's board of governors.

"This is right at centre ice for us. It's the nexus of the downtown," she said.

More to come.

lucasmascotto
Feb 6, 2014, 7:42 PM
I think I actually had an urban planning orgasm at this news. I'm so glad to see them move into the former BMO Pavilion, it's such a beautiful space and I use to pine in anger every time I walked past it and saw "For Lease" signs everywhere. For some reason this is reminding me of the Ryerson University wing in the Toronto Eaton Center. Hopefully with enough 'critical mass' of people that the continuing education center will bring we can see some major renovations coming to the square... *Praying Mercifully*

coalminecanary
Feb 6, 2014, 8:32 PM
(See what i did there?) ;)

haha good work - a fantastic tool isn't it?

also great news about mac - bingo gone, mac moving to top dead centre downtown - 2014 is the best

matt602
Feb 6, 2014, 10:17 PM
Finally something moves in here. I've been dreaming about this announcement for years. This is beyond awesome.

davidcappi
Feb 6, 2014, 10:37 PM
Oh man this is excellent. That space has sat empty for WAY too long. Hopefully McMaster does some spiffing up of the exterior. New cladding and a good clean?

Jon Dalton
Feb 6, 2014, 11:14 PM
Hopefully this will keep the mall open longer as I imagine they offer a lot of night classes.

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 7, 2014, 12:49 AM
Whoa...who called that? Some sweet clairvoyance there.

CaptainKirk
Feb 7, 2014, 1:10 AM
Jason Farr

"We just heard at council that 430 jobs were created in the downtown area over the past year."

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4356262-new-logo-new-name-officially-unveiled-for-arena/

oldcoote
Feb 7, 2014, 2:39 PM
Whoa...who called that? Some sweet clairvoyance there.

great news! any predictions? or insider info?

I personally can not think of any building other than an office tower with that kind of space downtown. What is the size of the old BMO space at jackson?

:worship:

Frankenrogers
Feb 7, 2014, 4:09 PM
I love that space. Good to see for downtown.

ihateittoo
Feb 7, 2014, 4:13 PM
Well by process of elimination it wasn't hard to see it would be pretty much the only option. Its also an obvious candidate because the BMO pavilion looks very institutional and I'm sure Yale was desperate.

2014 is building well off 2013s successes.

SteelTown
Feb 7, 2014, 4:13 PM
I hope they colour the beams (looks like there's 7 beams). It'll really jazz up the building.

davidcappi
Feb 7, 2014, 11:03 PM
There are 8 beams. This is a perfect situation for a recladding job. Something modern to cover up the brown glass inbetween the windows.

ihateittoo
Feb 8, 2014, 1:04 AM
I think it would look great with just a little TLC. I like the original.

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 8, 2014, 1:55 AM
I seem to recall seeing some pics of a freshly opened Bank of Montreal pavilion looking really colourful. I don't remember if it was the interior or the exterior of the building.

beanmedic
Feb 8, 2014, 2:02 AM
When did BMO relocate?

davidcappi
Feb 8, 2014, 2:10 AM
I'd love to see some pictures of it when it was open. I used to work in the City Center, and the outside needs a lot of work. The glass is quite scratched, and damaged, and there is quite a bit of rust on the metal beams outside. It needs some serious TLC. I feel like McMaster will be willing to put in the work though.

ScreamingViking
Feb 8, 2014, 2:34 AM
Personally I don't think the building needs much a change in appearance, just a cleanup. Compared to a lot of other 1970s architecture, I think it's aged well.

Aren't the metal beams that run up and over it are made of the same oxidized metal that's on 100 King W (Stelco Tower)?

If anything, changing the look of the mall entrance would do more for it. That silver-grey sign/lights and railing on the plaza level really clash with the browns. So hopefully Yale does put some effort into upgrading it.

ScreamingViking
Feb 8, 2014, 2:38 AM
When did BMO relocate?

The Spec story (quoted on the previous thread page) said 1997.

CaptainKirk
Feb 8, 2014, 4:16 AM
I seem to recall seeing some pics of a freshly opened Bank of Montreal pavilion looking really colourful. I don't remember if it was the interior or the exterior of the building.

1972 (Can't find colour)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1798807_724004410951188_99611207_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1/s720x720/383226_483294788355486_443343080_n.jpg

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 8, 2014, 4:41 AM
I'd forgotten how much office space there is in that building.

matt602
Feb 8, 2014, 1:17 PM
I definitely think the building just needs a clean up and a restoration to the metal beams. Some new glass panes would go a long way. It's actually a pretty nifty design for something that was built in the 1970's. As already posted, I'm sure Mac will do something nice to it.

HamiltonBoyInToronto
Feb 10, 2014, 5:12 PM
sort of reminds me of the OCAD building in Toronto
http://www.garethbate.com/images/7_bio/bio_thumbs/ocad.JPG

CaptainKirk
Feb 11, 2014, 3:06 PM
Eh! Panini ‏@EhPanini 2m
Eh Panini is opening this week! Come to the restaurant on February 14th, we think you and your valentine will love our food!

http://www.ehpanini.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/business-card-back.jpg

Cafe, Bistro, and Sandwiches, Eh! (289) 389-1212

49 King William St Hamilton · ehpanini.ca

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 12, 2014, 12:03 AM
Beside Dalina's, right?

CaptainKirk
Feb 12, 2014, 12:10 AM
Beside Dalina's, right?

It's right where Dalina used to be. Same address.

In between Culantro Peruvian Cookery at 47 King William, and Made for you by Madelaine at 51 King William.

http://culantro.ca/

http://www.bymadeleine.ca/contact.html#.Uvq8XGJdWdV

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 12, 2014, 1:09 AM
Oh man, I'm outta the loop. I never thought Dalina's would close - it seemed it would go on forever.

movingtohamilton
Feb 12, 2014, 1:53 AM
Oh man, I'm outta the loop. I never thought Dalina's would close - it seemed it would go on forever.

I likely missed something really good? I'm looking forward to going to the new bakery.

In other news, The owners of Rapscallion and 2 Black Sheep are looking for a location for their 3rd restaurant! Excellent news. It would be gratifying if they opened on King Street E, but I can imagine some hesitation. That whole stretch from James east to Wellington seems to be a really challenging location, despite inroads being made. I'm hoping Cafe Oranje is thriving.

matt602
Feb 12, 2014, 1:40 PM
Every time I pass Cafe Oranje, theres at least a few people in there, so I think they're doing alright.

CaptainKirk
Feb 12, 2014, 3:40 PM

For many years that was my wife's favourite restaurant. Run by an Egyptain woman (serving Egyptian food), it was named after her 2 daughters, neither of which had any interest in the restaurant business.

When she retires a few years ago, she sold to one fo the women she employed and she ran it for a few short years, moving on to other endeavours.

http://s3-media1.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/Bok6wMvMP3zihex2dxkQeA/l.jpg

More recently, it was It's a Food Thing (Jamaican)

http://alumni.os.mcmaster.ca/s/1439/images/editor/blogphotos/dishcrawl_mac10/ka-july913-7.jpg

movingtohamilton
Feb 12, 2014, 9:04 PM
So moving west from King William to James and then north...has anyone been to The Stowaway Pub recently? Is it still open? No recent tweets or FB updates. Drove past a while ago and saw some sign in the door but didn't stop to read it. Hope it's not gone :(

mattgrande
Feb 12, 2014, 9:30 PM
So moving west from King William to James and then north...has anyone been to The Stowaway Pub recently? Is it still open? No recent tweets or FB updates. Drove past a while ago and saw some sign in the door but didn't stop to read it. Hope it's not gone :(

I heard it's gone, unfortunately. I liked it, but I'm too lazy to get that far up James in the winter, so I haven't been since it got cold.

I guess it never seemed to catch on, though. There were a couple times I would go in and it would be empty.

matt602
Feb 12, 2014, 10:29 PM
It's gone? Really? I find that pretty weird. I went a couple of times over the fall and even a month ago and it was packed a few of those times. There didn't seem to be anything that indicated they would be closing up. They had only just gotten a liquor license for the patio some time in the fall, I believe.

Jon Dalton
Feb 12, 2014, 10:46 PM
Sign says closed due to rent arrears, up for lease. Don't know any details, but the rent there was pretty expensive.

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 13, 2014, 6:19 AM

Found it!
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/BankofMontreal_zps5e4369c7.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/the_dude1974/media/BankofMontreal_zps5e4369c7.jpg.html)
link (https://www.facebook.com/VintageHamilton/photos/a.467315149953450.1610968.357013597650273/702955559722740/?type=1&theater)

mattgrande
Feb 13, 2014, 1:39 PM
So was the entrance of Jackson designed to look like a WW2 bunker?

thistleclub
Feb 13, 2014, 2:02 PM
Found it!
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/BankofMontreal_zps5e4369c7.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/the_dude1974/media/BankofMontreal_zps5e4369c7.jpg.html)
link (https://www.facebook.com/VintageHamilton/photos/a.467315149953450.1610968.357013597650273/702955559722740/?type=1&theater)

From Birks to Club Monaco to Urban Planet. So it goes.

thistleclub
Feb 13, 2014, 9:33 PM
Cash Store and Instaloans Denied Payday Lender Licences (http://news.ontario.ca/mcs/en/2014/02/cash-store-and-instaloans-denied-payday-lender-licences.html)

February 13, 2014 4:00 p.m.Ministry of Consumer Services

Ontario's Registrar of Payday Loans today issued a proposal to refuse recent applications for payday lender licences from Cash Store and Instaloans - both owned by The Cash Store Financial Services Inc.

Separately, on February 12, the Superior Court of Justice issued a decision that the basic line of credit Cash Store and Instaloans has been offering is a payday loan and subject to Ontario’s Payday Loans Act and Regulations. Cash Store and Instaloans are prohibited from acting as a loan broker of the basic line of credit without a licence and they have been ordered to pay $50,000 in costs to the Ontario Ministry of Consumer Services.

The Court’s decision resulted from an application filed on June 7, 2013 by the Ministry. As a result of the decisions by the Registrar and Superior Court of Justice, Cash Store and Instaloans cannot offer payday loans or their basic line of credit product in Ontario.

In February 2013, the Ontario Registrar of Payday Loans issued proposals to revoke Cash Store’s and Instaloans’ licences. In the same month, Cash Store and Instaloans indicated they would no longer offer payday loans in Ontario, but would offer lines of credit instead. In July 2013, the companies did not renew their payday lender licences.

Under the Payday Loans Act, the Registrar may propose to refuse a licence if the applicant’s past conduct “affords reasonable grounds for belief that the applicant will not carry on business in accordance with law and with integrity and honesty.”

Past conduct the Registrar alleges includes:

• The November 2013 convictions of Cash Store and Instaloans operating as unlicensed payday lenders
• Charging more than the Ontario maximum of $21 per $100 borrowed for a payday loan
• Not providing consumers with their payday loans immediately

Both Cash Store and Instaloans have the right to request a hearing before the Licence Appeal Tribunal to dispute the proposal.

CaptainKirk
Feb 14, 2014, 12:49 PM
A bowling-themed entertainment complex is poised to roll into downtown's Hamilton City Centre.

Thunder Alley will cover about 40,000 square feet of the lower level of the former Eaton Centre, long considered a key piece in downtown revitalization.

Prospective bowling kingpin Martin Dorie said the $3.5-million project will include 20 "cosmic" 10-pin lanes, two bars, a video arcade, a roadhouse-style restaurant and a stage for live music.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4367973-bowling-complex-coming-downtown/

matt602
Feb 14, 2014, 1:15 PM
Looks good but I think they're gonna be fighting an uphill battle to try to even get people into the mall without a lot of signage from the outside and advertising. Gotta start somewhere though.

thistleclub
Feb 14, 2014, 1:47 PM
FWIW, Thunder Alley was first announced seven months ago (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6197278&postcount=38).

At the time there was no no fixed grand opening date, but the City Centre tweeted (https://twitter.com/HamiltonCityCtr/status/355804675053850625) that there would be "updates on the first phase of construction in the next few weeks."

The project sounds basically identical, though it's now 20 rather than 22 lanes.

Will be curious to see how they navigate the City Centre's hours, and where their exterior entrance will be.

oldcoote
Feb 14, 2014, 2:40 PM
Joey Coleman tweeted that a World's Gym is also coming to City Centre.

"Hamilton City Centre, a multi-tenant retail centre located at the heart of Hamilton's business district in Hamilton, Ontario. Originally built in 1990, Hamilton City Centre comprises approximately 423,900 squar feet of gross leasable area. The property has been well maintained, and its more than 50 tenants include Hart Stores, a branch of Sun Life Financial, Worlds Gym, Thunder Alley Entertainment and the City of Hamilton."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/partners-real-estate-investment-trust-announces-senior-management-changes-and-update-on-ontario-property-acquisition-2014-02-11-141731713?reflink=MW_news_stmp

SteelTown
Feb 14, 2014, 3:08 PM
FWIW, Thunder Alley was first announced seven months ago (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6197278&postcount=38).

At the time there was no no fixed grand opening date, but the City Centre tweeted (https://twitter.com/HamiltonCityCtr/status/355804675053850625) that there would be "updates on the first phase of construction in the next few weeks."

The project sounds basically identical, though it's now 20 rather than 22 lanes.

Will be curious to see how they navigate the City Centre's hours, and where their exterior entrance will be.

It's likely they are now submitting site plans to the city. They'll need committee of adjustment to approve.

SteelTown
Feb 14, 2014, 3:11 PM
Glad to see City Centre is getting some action. Things have really drastically changed over the last five years.