View Full Version : Bubble Tea Recommendations

deasine
Nov 7, 2007, 4:24 AM
I love bubble tea, and Vancouver has so many it's impossible to try every single one. My favourite:

Pearl Drops: North Burnaby (Willingdon @ Hastings) - about $3.50 - $6.00, a little bit more expensive than others but everything is fresh!

bils
Nov 7, 2007, 5:59 AM
Dragonball at King Ed & Oak is prolly the best in town.

Oddly enough, I don't think I can name a single good bbtea place in Richmond....

twoNeurons
Nov 7, 2007, 6:47 AM
Dragon is good... but if you haven't tried Pearl Drops, you'll soon change your mind on what you consider the best.

Pearl Drops tea is awesome too. They import a lot of it directly from Japan from a family that has been growing tea for hundreds of years.

And the owner knows the art of Matcha.

bils
Nov 7, 2007, 6:52 AM
Dragon is good... but if you haven't tried Pearl Drops, you'll soon change your mind on what you consider the best.

Pearl Drops tea is awesome too. They import a lot of it directly from Japan from a family that has been growing tea for hundreds of years.

i'll have to give it a try. pretty damn far for a richmond boy like me. what would you recommend i try there?

deasine
Nov 7, 2007, 8:23 AM
Richmond........ hmmm....

Tapioca Express is alright... (their snowbubbles). But it's really expensive for bubble tea from powder... $3.50 - $5.50

There's also Peanuts in Richmond Public Market... it's nice and cheap LOL (so chinese of me to say taht =P). Green Apple Green Tea is their best one there. $2.50 - $4.50

Yeah! Someone else knows that place =P

For some reason, I don't raelly like Dragon Ball. It's alright but nothing from there really shines out for me.

twoNeurons
Nov 7, 2007, 4:32 PM
i'll have to give it a try. pretty damn far for a richmond boy like me. what would you recommend i try there?

I've always liked their matcha stuff... but watermelon is amazing too.

You can't go wrong with Mango either, but everyone seems to have a good mango.

True though, it's a long trip if you're from Richmond. I'd say if you're in the area, make it a night by going for dinner at nearby Anton's or Bombay Bhel.

Hot Rod
Nov 8, 2007, 3:19 AM
The best bubble tea is in Chinatown, at the Crown Bookstore on Pender. We ONLY go to this place, since it is authentic taiwanese run and made.

mr.x
Nov 8, 2007, 4:39 AM
The best bubble tea is in Chinatown, at the Crown Bookstore on Pender. We ONLY go to this place, since it is authentic taiwanese run and made.

just yesterday, i found out there was a basement floor to the UBC Student Union Building....so many more options for food. -_- it was like that episode of King of the Hill where the family goes to Japan, and lives in the hallway of their suite - unaware that the walls are actually sliding doors to other rooms. (not that i watch King of the Hill...was one of those slow days with nothing to do)

anybody know if the bubble tea there is good?

giallo
Nov 8, 2007, 8:01 AM
Dragonball at King Ed & Oak is prolly the best in town.

Oddly enough, I don't think I can name a single good bbtea place in Richmond....

My brother lives over Dragonball. I liked the bubble tea there, but it still lags behind Taiwan's variety.

Deasine, you need to visit Taichung in Taiwan. It's the home of bubble tea and has a ton of different kinds to choose from.

twoNeurons
Nov 8, 2007, 4:57 PM

I think I've been there... a long time ago. I'll have to check it out again.

deasine
Nov 9, 2007, 2:40 AM

Ohhhhh... i should try that =D hopefully I can do that tmr before i go to work. Does anyone know the exact name?

My brother lives over Dragonball. I liked the bubble tea there, but it still lags behind Taiwan's variety.

Deasine, you need to visit Taichung in Taiwan. It's the home of bubble tea and has a ton of different kinds to choose from.

I SHOULD! I'm a starbucks (maybe not as much) and a bbt addict.

Kats Bubble Tea House across from Petro Canada at E 49th Ave. and Victoria. Their bubble tea is pretty good and they are very consistant. i prefer pearl drops but this one is WAY CLOSER to my house =P
$3.00 - $6.00

Tea Wok at E 41st Ave and Victoria. It's alright.... nothing special.
$3.00 - $6.00

David
Nov 22, 2007, 5:26 PM
does anyone know of any good bubble tea places downtown? i have never been able to find a good one yet.

Rusty Gull
Nov 23, 2007, 10:17 PM
For Richmond, try the GoGo Tea Cafe. Sort of a higher-end bubble tea experience. It's right at the corner of Garden City and Cambie.

Bert
Nov 24, 2007, 4:35 AM
I find the service at GoGo attrocious. I would definitely recommend against going there. They exemplify a "I'm too busy, so make your order in 5 seconds and never call me to your table" attitude. They wouldn't even remove ice from bubble tea I specifically asked them not to put ice in. They said something to the effect of "we're really busy". When I insisted, it was, "fine, fine". Then they took it away for 10 whole minutes. Finally, they came back again with the tea, saying, "sorry, we're too busy" again. The ice was still in the tea!! :hell:

I'm also not a fan of Pearl Drops. To me, both their pearls and milk tea have problems.

Dragon Ball is for sure my top pick. Fresh fruit, incredible pearls on a good day (I think they must use something very unique to flavour them), and the milk tea blended so you can definitely taste both the tea and milk. That said, the quality isn't always consistent, but that just seems to be the nature of bubble tea. For pearls, does it partially depend on the weather (i.e. humidity)? I know a lot depends on the length of time they're cooked or sitting.

bils
Nov 24, 2007, 5:19 AM
That said, the quality isn't always consistent, but that just seems to be the nature of bubble tea.

i totally agree. i actually find that bbtea is the worst during busy times (i.e., friday nights) and best during off-peak hours. it almost seems like they'll throw more fruit into your drinks then.

Hot Rod
Nov 26, 2007, 5:25 AM
Deasine, the bubble tea place is right inside the Crown Book Store in Chinatown. It's tops!

deasine
Nov 29, 2007, 2:18 AM
I didnt' have time to look for the crown book store before I had work =(

Yeah DragonBall isn't consistant, and that's why I like Pearl Drops better, which has the best fruit slushes and fruit milkshakes honestly... milk tea wise yes I agree it isn't that good. Then Tea Wok for milk tea or perhaps Tapioca Express is good for that.

I don't really know any bbt store that actually has consistant bbt/good drinks overall. Then again I haven't went ot the crown book store one. I HOPE I WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED HOT ROD!!! jkjk XD

Hot Rod
Nov 30, 2007, 9:26 AM
I;ve found Crown Bookstore - Chinatown's BBT to be pretty consistent, especially when the young (and very attractive) Taiwanese girl is the barista!!! They actually have one of the real sealing lid machines (instead of just giving you a cup and a goofy fast food lid), so you can shake your BBT prior to piercing it with the wedge cut straw!

:)

Hot Rod
Dec 16, 2007, 8:19 AM
Correction, I went to Chinatown over the weekend and discovered that Crown Bookstore is gone. BUT, the BBT store is still in the same location; the new store is called Qi Pao ~ a clothing store with, you guessed it.

Anyways, on W. Pender half of the superblock away from Main (S side of Pender), the BBT shop is inside the 'new' Qi Pao store (old Crown Bookstore).

Also, it appears that chinese operators may have taken over the business but it also appears that the former taiwanese owners tought them well since the product is very much the same.

deasine
Dec 19, 2007, 2:31 AM
does anyone know of any good bubble tea places downtown? i have never been able to find a good one yet.

I finally found an okay BBT place in downtown.

Capstone Tea on Robson St.

View Map: http://local.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=1429+Robson+Street,+Vancouver,+BC+V6G+1C1,+Canada&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.178967,82.265625&ie=UTF8&ll=49.288147,-123.130201&spn=0.014556,0.040169&t=p&z=15&om=1

Comments:
Bubble tea is alright (better than normal) though there is nothing special. Service is incredibly slow.

I will be trying more BBT places in downtown. =)

deasine
Mar 18, 2009, 6:06 AM
Went to Orange Corner in Station Square, which is quite new. Not bad... wouldn't recommend their crepes though...

Metro-One
Mar 18, 2009, 6:33 AM
Bubble World in Metrotown on Kingsway is pretty good, but it is always really busy, and it is open late, i think 1 or 2 am even on weeknights. I also always liked Pearl Fever in Coquitlam. It seems every mall has bubble tea now, even SFU Burnaby has bubble tea on campus, every town center has a handful (that are not in malls) and they seem to be springing up near high schools like mad (i know one just opened in Maple Ridge just opened near my old high school). This has always led me to wonder, is bubble tea this common in every major city in North America or is Vancouver abnormal in this respect (outsdie of Taiwan of course). because even in Japan bubble tea was hard to find (i found 1 in Kyoto and 1 Osaka).

giallo
Mar 18, 2009, 6:36 AM
I'd wager that Seattle, SF and LA all have a significant bubble tea presence. You can find it everywhere in Shanghai.

Metro-One
Mar 18, 2009, 6:45 AM
:previous: I was guessing it would be along the lines of wherever a major Taiwanese population or influence existed, but Bubble Tea has become more than just a "Taiwanese" or an "Asian" drink in Metro-Vancouver, it is now becoming like sushi (just maybe 10 years behind) where it is becoming part of the Vancouver culture and identity. So while it is a safe bet that these is bubble tea in Seattle, San Francisco, Toronto, etc... what i wonder is if it is up to the same high per capita ratio that we have. Again, it could be just like sushi, in many places, but in Vancouver its presence is abnormally high, for there are more sushi restaurants in Vancouver than fast food burger places. If you don't believe that, just start walking around and noting all the sushi places throughout the city, so many they have now just faded into the woodwork, even 7-11 and Shoppers Drug Mart sells sushi! I really do feel the same has started to happen to bubble tea as well.

giallo
Mar 18, 2009, 7:01 AM
I see what you mean. Vancouver definitely has embraced bubble tea and made it it's own. When I was back, I noticed a plethora of flavours that I've never seen in Taiwan, HK or China.

baggab
Mar 18, 2009, 7:04 AM
I'd wager that Seattle, SF and LA all have a significant bubble tea presence. You can find it everywhere in Shanghai.

I didn't see any in LA or SF when I was there, unless I was in a place like Richmond.

Vancouver on the hand you can pretty much find it anywhere around the Central City, but arguably it's because of the 40% + Asian population.

That being said, a lot of the bubble tea places in China are really bad. The pearls are usually poorly made and the selection is pretty crappy usually.

The funny thing is that there are a lot of Juice Bars that don't have bubbles ready on the side, expensive drinks for a regular Chinese person thou. I think I spent 3-4 dollars CAD for juice over there. It was worth it thou, they sweetened all the drinks with fresh pressed sugar cane.

twoNeurons
Mar 18, 2009, 7:29 AM
I didn't see any in LA or SF when I was there, unless I was in a place like Richmond.

Vancouver on the hand you can pretty much find it anywhere around the Central City, but arguably it's because of the 40% + Asian population.

That being said, a lot of the bubble tea places in China are really bad. The pearls are usually poorly made and the selection is pretty crappy usually.

The funny thing is that there are a lot of Juice Bars that don't have bubbles ready on the side, expensive drinks for a regular Chinese person thou. I think I spent 3-4 dollars CAD for juice over there. It was worth it thou, they sweetened all the drinks with fresh pressed sugar cane.

Poor in China perhaps, but bubble tea came from Taiwan. I'd imagine that it's up to snuff, though I've never had Taiwanese bubble tea.

giallo
Mar 18, 2009, 7:36 AM

It depends where you go (in SH at least). In the last three years, dozens and dozens of Taiwanese owned and operated bubble tea shops have opened up here. They range from good to excellent. I wouldn't know about the locally run bubble tea shops as I never ever go to them anymore. Most of them (while cheap) were/are putrid.

If I've learned anything while living in China, it's that you shouldn't be a cheapskate when it comes to food and drink. You'll pay for it in the end

djmk
Mar 18, 2009, 3:47 PM
Have you guys ever heard of beer? Say no to the gelatinous tapioca pearls and come join me for some hops and barley. Your life will change forever.

dreambrother808
Mar 18, 2009, 4:46 PM
:previous:
:haha:

DKaz
Mar 18, 2009, 5:11 PM
Have you guys ever heard of beer? Say no to the gelatinous tapioca pearls and come join me for some hops and barley. Your life will change forever.

LOL.

I remember back in 1998 when Bubble Tea was all the craze in Vancouver, I talked to people in San Francisco, Sacremento, Los Angeles, NONE of them knew what this bubble tea thing was all about.

deasine
Mar 19, 2009, 8:07 AM
Really? For some reason I would think San Francisco would have caught the trend earlier...

Anyway in the states it's not referred to as bubble tea, more like boba tea, similar to like in Hong Kong it's called "jun juu lai cha" not "boh bah lai cha"

igeneer
Mar 19, 2009, 5:53 PM
I used to go to a great bubble tea cafe at the UBC village. I assume it's still there, can anyone confirm? The lychee flavour slush with pearls was a good flavour

Kodii
Mar 19, 2009, 6:00 PM
If you're talking about Pearl Fever, then yes. There's also a new tea cafe in the UBC Village called Well Tea. I'm still only a fan of the bubble tea at the SUB though (Little Tea House), and don't find the bubble tea in the village very appealing.

DKaz
Mar 19, 2009, 6:37 PM
What other authentic Taiwanese places are around town?

Vancity
Mar 19, 2009, 8:21 PM
There's a Taiwanese BBT place in Richmond called "Pearl Castle" - I've been there a few times, and it's pretty good =] There's also a fusion restaurant, Taiwanese-HK style cafe restaurant in Vancouver (on Granville St) called Flo Tea Room. Ambiance is nice, they have decent prices (combo meals), I love it there. I go there often. Try it out, if your near the area. There's also a place in Richmond called Estea, not a bad place, but their service can often be disappointing.

deasine
Mar 19, 2009, 10:52 PM
Pearl Castle is okay.

Twinkle Twinkle is also a cute place.

I haven't tried Flo before so I really want to try it.

I don't like Estea =P

nova9
Mar 23, 2009, 11:55 PM
I hate Flo and I discourage people from going there. Service sucks and I find that they can never get our orders right.

I really enjoy Pearl Castle but I like the Port Coquitlam location more than the Richmond one.

I would also try out 'Beef Noodle House' on Granville and 70th (?) or Cabin 555 in Kerrisdale.

metroXpress
Mar 24, 2009, 12:13 AM
Really? For some reason I would think San Francisco would have caught the trend earlier...

Anyway in the states it's not referred to as bubble tea, more like boba tea, similar to like in Hong Kong it's called "jun juu lai cha" not "boh bah lai cha"

^ You know what? In Taiwan, they actually use both terms for Bubble Tea!!

Anyways, I love bubble tea and I like the ones in Bubble World.
They have a store in Surrey (close to Gulidford) and another one in Burnaby (close to Telus building)

arashi_1987
Mar 24, 2009, 7:10 PM
Bubble World in Metrotown on Kingsway is pretty good, but it is always really busy, and it is open late, i think 1 or 2 am even on weeknights. I also always liked Pearl Fever in Coquitlam. It seems every mall has bubble tea now, even SFU Burnaby has bubble tea on campus, every town center has a handful (that are not in malls) and they seem to be springing up near high schools like mad (i know one just opened in Maple Ridge just opened near my old high school). This has always led me to wonder, is bubble tea this common in every major city in North America or is Vancouver abnormal in this respect (outsdie of Taiwan of course). because even in Japan bubble tea was hard to find (i found 1 in Kyoto and 1 Osaka).

There actually IS one inside Lougheed Mall and I think there was also one inside Coquitlam Centre by the food court.

metroXpress
Mar 24, 2009, 8:25 PM
^ Cool. I am asumming that it is a new store?

nova9
Mar 24, 2009, 11:42 PM
I recently ran into an Angelino who was up here but staying only in Downtown and mocking how even though we're a new city we don't even have this new thing called 'bubble tea', then we all just turned around and smirked at him. Haha. I told him we've been having it since the early 90's and told him where somewhere nice he could go.......

But that brings up a good point, I wish there were more bbt places downtown, i only know the one bubbleworld near the fogg n suds. Any other?

And for the bbt neophytes out here, your next progression is to move away from the pearls and embracing the other fixums like coconut, aloe, grass jelly, pudding......haha. and then start combining them with other flavours. mmm...also, recommend people try shaved ice with pudding and pearls and other htings.

metroXpress
Mar 25, 2009, 12:12 AM
I love TARO!!

Vancity
Apr 1, 2009, 10:19 AM
I hate Flo and I discourage people from going there. Service sucks and I find that they can never get our orders right.

I really enjoy Pearl Castle but I like the Port Coquitlam location more than the Richmond one.

I would also try out 'Beef Noodle House' on Granville and 70th (?) or Cabin 555 in Kerrisdale.

I personally like Flo. They get my orders right, and I don't mind going there again. Decent prices, and the food is pretty good ^^ I don't really like the Beef Noodle House, personally. Every time I go there, their service sucks. It takes them forever to realize someone new has entered, and sat down. Even longer for the food to come out from the time you've placed an order. It gets frustrating. I don't mind the food, pretty tasty, but service & the food to me is important. Cabin 555 isn't too bad. I've went a few times. Food's pretty good =]

Yume-sama
Jun 4, 2009, 10:08 PM
Strangely, I just had the best Bubble Tea ever... in Calgary!

I am still looking for a place downtown that can rival it. :whip:

A lot more places on Robson St. seem to be advertising Bubble Tea this time of year. :yes: