PDA

View Full Version : Our War on Gangs

mr.x
Nov 7, 2007, 3:26 AM
Police vow to get tough on gangs
Third and fourth homicide victims in a week found in car at 70th and Granville

Kim Bolan and Neal Hall, Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, November 06, 2007

VANCOUVER - After four fatal shootings in a week, Vancouver police vowed today to form a new gang violence task force aimed at getting "in the face" of suspected local gang members.

"We're obviously extremely concerned about this escalation of violence and potential for innocent victims to be hurt and killed," Vancouver police Deputy Chief Doug LePard told reporters today at a news conference.

He said the recent spate of fatal gang violence in Vancouver appears to be series of unrelated disputes rather than a gang war.

"I would not say it's necessarily truly a gang war," he said. "There clearly is a conflict between two or more gangs right now....It's not a classic dispute between one gang trying to take over the territory of another gang."

The two latest victims, both known gangsters, were gunned down in a Mercedes about 2:15 a.m. today. The men were identified late this afternoon as Ronal Shakeel Raj, 31, of Surrey, and Ali Abhari, 25, of Kelowna.

A 45-year-old man shot to death outside his Shaughnessy mansion Saturday - Hong Chao (Raymond) Huang - was a top crime boss of the notorious Big Circle Boys and on the radar of the RCMP nationally.

This week's flurry of gang killings began Halloween night when a 51-year-old Richmond man Hiep Quang Do, was fatally shot at a Vietnamese restaurant at 4884 Victoria Drive.

Deputy Chief Bob Rich said the Vancouver police department's new gang violence task force will redeploy patrol officers to try to stop the outbreak of fatal shootings on city streets. "The public should be aware there is no greater priority right now than to deal with this issue," he said, adding the new squad will be "very much an in-your-face" unit.

"We will be confronting people who are gangsters moving about our streets and we will be checking on where they live," said Rich, who is in charge of the operations section, including patrol officers.

"Today we want to send a very clear message to gang members that we are going to be watching them very closely," he added. "We will be letting them know that these activities are just not acceptable."

He promised Vancouverites "we are going to take every step to ensure their safety," he added. Asked how many officers will be assigned to the new unit, Rich said details still are being worked out.

"I have placed Supt. Andy Hobbs in charge of putting this task force together," he said.

Rich added that Vancouver police Chief Jim Chu was meeting today with other senior police leaders in Metro Vancouver to consider a regional response to the brazen gang violence problem that has erupted lately.

Vancouver police are already part of B.C.'s Integrated Gang Task Force, which was formed three years ago after another rash of gang shootings.

The integrated task force was called to the scene of the latest gangland slaying at 70th and Granville, when two known gangsters were shot to death in a leased four-door Mercedes.

Police said two late-model sports utility vehicles pulled up and trapped the southbound Mercedes, which was turning east off Granville from the left-turn lane.

The passenger in one of the SUVs opened fire, killing both men in the Mercedes.

LePard said some people tend to romanticize gangster life.

"I was at the scene this morning," he said of the south Granville slayings. "Those who think the gang lifestyle is appealing, looking at these two men, full of bullet holes, they didn't look glamorous at all."

He said gang members are making tens of thousands of dollars a week, own fancy cars, live in penthouse apartments and spend a lot of money on drugs and women. "They make a lot of money and spend a lot of money," LePard said. "They live for today."

That's because they often don't live long, he added.

Supt. John Robin, head of the Integrated Gang Task Force, said Metro Vancouver is a North American centre for the drug trade and inevitably faces gangland violence. He said police are on top of the issue, but valuable resources are sidetracked by the increasing demands of disclosure once cases go to court.

Legislative changes may be needed to deal with the problem, Robin said.

Large court cases with multiple defendants are even more difficult to process.

"The whole court process is sucking up resources," he said. "So many of our police resources are sucked up with the disclosure process."

RCMP Supt. Wayne Rideout, the officer in charge of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, said that in a metropolitan area of 2.6 million, a relatively small number are causing most of the problem.

"There are 300 or 400 people who are creating all of the crime. We need to get serious about those people. The police are serious...the community has got to get involved in this and we have got to have a no-tolerance policy."

LePard said it is now common for gang members to pack guns and use them when tempers flare over seemingly minor disputes.

"They're very cavalier about their use of violence and the use of firearms in settling their disputes," he said. "We're very fortunate that we have not had more innocent victims caught in the cross-fire." "I can tell you, in general terms, sometimes they are fighting about insults, they fight about women, they fight about drug turf - they fight about things that you or I might think are relatively trivial," he said when asked to explain what police believe gang members are fighting over.

LePard suggested gang violence goes in cycles, citing the spike in gang violence in the mid-1980s when there were open shootouts between rival gangs - the Los Diablos and Red Eagles - on city streets.

He said today's fatal shooting, using two SUVs to block the car, showed "a higher level of planning than we normally have seen and shows a certain level of premeditation."

deasine
Nov 7, 2007, 3:54 AM
globaltvbc.com - Gangs galore

Right now, seeing these reports and deaths on the news doesn't shock me anymore... it's like one every couple of days. =__="

vanhattan
Nov 7, 2007, 6:05 AM
So the police are just now starting a gang task force??!! How lame. Explain to me why this wasn't done years ago? The Vancouver cops are a bunch of wimps. Every murder I read about is followed by the statement, "the victim was well known to police", translated to; "he deserved to die and we are glad a rival gang took him out so we did not have to get out of our police cars and get wet in the rain".

Innocent people are getting killed in the crossfire and these gangs and their crimes need to be exterminated. This situation will only get worse until the cops sink their teeth into these loosers. Learn the lessons of NYC. Either the gangs are Boss or the City and Police are Boss. Never both at the same time.

cornholio
Nov 7, 2007, 10:08 AM
^These gangs and the crime will never get exterminated so long as substances, services and items that are in demand are illegal. Getting hard on organized crime only encourages monopolization, which result in increased profits, higher costs for organized crime while increasing costs to drug addicts who's vicious cycle of theft, prostitution and crime in general increase and their point of no return hastens. If you want to reduce organized crime then legalize marijuana and other light drugs, treat drug addiction as medical and allow the distribution and use of drugs to addicts in specialized clinics where the primary goal is to get the addict on a path to rehabilitation. Make stronger efforts at rehabilitating drug addicted repeat criminals and welfare bums. Maintain a moderate to low level of enforcement on drug dealers but use sever financial penalties and fines and have a better system of confiscating proceeds of crime or illegal trafficking. And last of all continue to use education, but more importantly smart education.

In our current system getting harder on organized crime with stiffer jail sentences will only fail by increasing its organization and sophistication and distance from the law, unfortunately 90% of our population has no idea how human society actually works. On the other hand getting to soft on it will also fail because it will allow every idiot to enter the business and replace organized crime with disorganized crime(which is far worse for everyone). In our current system we cant exterminate organized crime, so the next best thing would be to maintain a desirable level of organized crime. In other words understand that it will exist so set levels of enforcement and such to maintain a level of organized crime that has the lowest negative impact on society. To bad most people would never back this because they are to stuburn to research, take in facts and be flexible and adaptable with new and modern solutions based on real scientific research.

Canadian Mind
Nov 8, 2007, 6:51 AM
wonder who the current gang warfare involves anyways... Maybe the Russian Mob is in town. :P

cornholio
Nov 8, 2007, 8:47 AM
^ I think most of it is connected. I used to know one of the guys that was executed in Surrey a while back, actually haven't seen him or anything ever since he got charged for manslaughter after killing someone seven years ago. But in any case I know 7 years ago the guy was affiliated with the Big circle boys(dead guy in Shaughnessy who the police said was linked to the dead Vietnamese guy a day earlier), and I also heard from a reliable source that the guys in Surrey were responsible for a shooting in Vancouver a month or so earlier. My memory is a bit foggy but I believe it was the shooting at the restaurant on the west side that only injured the intended target. The intended target was I believe affiliated with the two guys killed the other day who's death the police even said was linked to the executions in Surrey and a earlier gun fight on Lougheed highway(not to mention that again this came right after the other Vancouver shootings which again reinforces my belief that their connected). Do the math and you soon realize that in all probability a majority of the recent deaths are all linked. Also I have a strong suspicion that the people at the fortune cookie restaurant were some how linked to all of this. In any case im not affiliated with any of these people and almost as clueless as the rest of us. Also there was a interesting article in the Province yesterday which showed all the shootings in the past year and what not and said there are 4 gang wars going on which is probably really misleading information since a majority of it is all linked to one gang war and they also went on to talk about a bunch of other stuff. Interesting but really the reliability of the information they give is low.

What really interests me is who started this and why, somewhere out there is a interesting story, unfortunately that may never come out since this probably wont stop until most of them are dead and their mini drug empires crumble and other groups take over. Thats the funny thing because in organized crime when shit like this picks up steam it is impossible to stop it, so I would expect a increase in related killings for months or maybe years, maybe not at the current rate but mark my words that this probably is not over.

Canadian Mind
Nov 8, 2007, 7:49 PM
In any case im not affiliated with any of these people and almost as clueless as the rest of us. Also there was a interesting article in the Province yesterday which showed all the shootings in the past year and what not and said there are 4 gang wars going on which is probably really misleading information since a majority of it is all linked to one gang war and they also went on to talk about a bunch of other stuff. Interesting but really the reliability of the information they give is low.

What really interests me is who started this and why, somewhere out there is a interesting story, unfortunately that may never come out since this probably wont stop until most of them are dead and their mini drug empires crumble and other groups take over. Thats the funny thing because in organized crime when shit like this picks up steam it is impossible to stop it, so I would expect a increase in related killings for months or maybe years, maybe not at the current rate but mark my words that this probably is not over.

lol, don't wanna get shot or arrested now do we? ;)

I think if the news is saying 4 gang wars, there is prolley 4 gangs all fighting each other.

It would be a good story, excellent movie potential.

cornholio
Nov 9, 2007, 10:07 AM
^i just wanted to make sure no one misinterpreted me. I just hapend to know one the people involved 7 years ago when I and they were much younger. other than that this stuff interest me. oh yeah the newspapers are there to sell a story, when they write "4 gang wars" in huge font on the cover with a black background based on a simple quote I would question their intentions.

Nutterbug
Nov 9, 2007, 10:45 AM
I'm actually glad that there are multiple rival gangs out to kill each other, instead of one dominant gang running the scene, even with all the havoc that they wreak. It's nice to see them on edge and shitting their pants fearing for their lives all the time, instead of kicking back and indulging in the good life under a one gang system.