PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa SSP Social events...

m0nkyman
Nov 2, 2007, 1:39 AM
This here is a thread where SSP'ers can arrange meetings in real life. Ideally involving alchohol, at least in my little world.

It is now official that I'll be residing in Ottawa again come December. This event strikes me as an ideal excuse to get together for drinks.

With that said, I'll let someone else nominate a venue and a time early in December that you folks might find convenient...

m0nkyman
Nov 4, 2007, 1:59 PM
Do you people not have any interest in a random excuse for drinking?

OK. What if I said December 9th (a Sunday), at the Dominion Tavern. relatively early, like 5:00pm, so that it's more likely to be a civil beer or two, rather than one of those nights where things go horribly wrong and people start doing alternating shots of Yukon Jack and Southern Comfort....

TheMeltyMan
Nov 4, 2007, 6:04 PM
DRINK!

http://www.christilling.de/pics/JackHackettBl.JPG

harls
Nov 4, 2007, 10:31 PM
I'd love to.. but I've got a 3 month old kid now. Tough to sneak out of the house these days.

Dominion is a great place.. my kind of place.

p_xavier
Nov 5, 2007, 6:08 PM
You can count me out, I don't drink, and not much of a pub/bar/club fan. Hope you guys have fun.

hackunion
Nov 5, 2007, 11:35 PM
I don't drink either. I prefer bubble tea.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 6, 2007, 1:00 AM
Don't care where we are, so long as it's within decent walking range or a quick bus ride for me.

m0nkyman
Nov 6, 2007, 4:30 AM
^ OK. Shall we move the event to a bubble tea place? Although I'm fairly certain that the staff at the Dom don't force you to drink....

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 6, 2007, 7:36 PM
Like I said, I don't care if we drink scotch, bubble tea, beer, wine, whatever.

All I want is a fairly close location which for me is anywhere from the Glebe/Ottawa South to Hintonburg to the Market.

And m0nkeyman, I'm assuming you live near Chinatown by your suggestion for bubble tea? :haha:

TheMeltyMan
Nov 6, 2007, 8:06 PM
People who don't drink aren't to be trusted. They aren't invited. What are they afraid of? Cirrhosis? Depression? Obesity? Be a man and get drunk.

AuxTown
Nov 6, 2007, 8:12 PM
People who don't drink aren't to be trusted. They aren't invited. What are they afraid of? Cirrhosis? Depression? Obesity? Be a man and get drunk.

I'm with you Melty. How can you possibly relax after a long day of work without a beer or a glass of wine....unless of course you are a robot?

harls
Nov 6, 2007, 8:12 PM
:D

I've been to many Montreal Smoked Meets, and I'm not ashamed to say I drank too much on all occasions. Hell, I even coined the term 'smoked meet'.

I should get paid or something.

Rathgrith
Nov 6, 2007, 8:36 PM
I also like this idea of alcohol. But what time of day/day itself?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 6, 2007, 8:38 PM
Happy Hour! So around 5 or 6 in the evening.

p_xavier
Nov 6, 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm with you Melty. How can you possibly relax after a long day of work without a beer or a glass of wine....unless of course you are a robot?

Probably, that's why I can work until 4am, and getting things done, instead of talking about when is the next drunk fest. Or maybe people have other ways of relaxing? Myself, I like to cook a meal, or take a walk with my mp3 player.

I just don't like to take stimulants or depressants to be happy, I just like to be happy naturally. And no, I don't drink coffee either.

I think it's mostly you guys that have a problem, I don't need to drink to have fun, and the OP was insisting for that, maybe you need help? You can do whatever you want, but I just can't stand obnoxious drunks. Good for you if you enjoy that, I don't. I don't impose my lifestyle on others, you should have more respect.

m0nkyman
Nov 6, 2007, 10:50 PM
And m0nkeyman, I'm assuming you live near Chinatown by your suggestion for bubble tea? :haha:

Corner of Florence and Kent isn't close to Chinatown, or at least it wasn't when I last lived in Ottawa. And it wasn't my bubble tea suggestion, it was a sarcastic response to the moralistic replies. If you don't want to drink, don't. I don't care. Drink water for all I care, just show up and be social. I suggested happy hour on a Sunday specifically because it's a nice time for a social drink, not a piss up. We can organize a piss-up later, and the folks that hate obnoxious drunks can avoid that to their hearts content.

AuxTown
Nov 6, 2007, 10:57 PM
Probably, that's why I can work until 4am, and getting things done, instead of talking about when is the next drunk fest. Or maybe people have other ways of relaxing? Myself, I like to cook a meal, or take a walk with my mp3 player.

I just don't like to take stimulants or depressants to be happy, I just like to be happy naturally. And no, I don't drink coffee either.

I think it's mostly you guys that have a problem, I don't need to drink to have fun, and the OP was insisting for that, maybe you need help? You can do whatever you want, but I just can't stand obnoxious drunks. Good for you if you enjoy that, I don't. I don't impose my lifestyle on others, you should have more respect.

Dude, I think I can speak for everybody that we were just having a little bit of fun. I have a few friends who choose not to drink or do drugs as well (only a few and mostly Muslim). It's their personal choice and I respect that. But just because we might meet at a bar doesn't mean that we'll all get hammered (on a Sunday night no less) and do stupid things. I was originally going to suggest we meet at the Bare Fax, but I guess that's out of the question for now. I'm fine with Dominion, it'd be interesting to meet the crew.

TheMeltyMan
Nov 7, 2007, 2:19 AM

Alcohol is a life supplement. I'm not sure how anyone could get by without it. I sense black magic. Or maybe they're secretly smoking crack and that booze just doesn't do it for them anymore.

Whatever the case, non-drinkers creep me out. Anyone who doesn't need drugs on this planet is lying to themself.

m0nkyman
Nov 7, 2007, 4:24 PM
While I am a drinker, I think we should make non-drinkers feel welcome....

AuxTown
Nov 8, 2007, 5:35 PM
If you can't poke fun at clean-cut non-drinkers who can you poke fun at?

Rathgrith
Nov 8, 2007, 6:16 PM
You know, I like how this debate has shifted from that about meeting itself, to a pseudo personal attack on judging people if or if not they drink. I would just like to met in a causal environment and discuss whatnot about cities!

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 8, 2007, 10:41 PM
:previous: Ditto. :)

m0nkyman
Nov 9, 2007, 12:53 AM
<in my best four year old imitation> they started it </ four year old imitation>

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 9, 2007, 12:55 AM
Bubblicity Tea Shop anyone?

m0nkyman
Nov 9, 2007, 4:01 AM
Naah. Stick to the Dom. At the Dominion, non-drinkers can freely not drink, and drinkers can drink. At a bubble tea place, it's awfully hard to get Peaches to pour you a pint. ;)

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 9, 2007, 4:11 AM
And where exactly is the Dominion?

m0nkyman
Nov 9, 2007, 4:29 AM
http://www.tavern.ca/doortext.jpg

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 9, 2007, 5:27 AM
Byward Market, eh? Niiiiiiiice.......

niwell
Nov 9, 2007, 6:05 AM
If I still lived in Ottawa I'd totally hit up the dirty Dom. Hell, I did many, many weekends! It's a great place.

Rathgrith
Nov 9, 2007, 8:18 PM
Alright but now what about the date... as in time?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 9, 2007, 8:47 PM
Tomorrow Happy Hour(5:00-6:00p.m.)?

The weekend is supposed to be nice weather, it'll be a Saturday, places'll be open, weather decent, and it won't make my boss angry which could lead to me getting fired. :haha:

harls
Nov 9, 2007, 9:38 PM
No can do for me. I'm in the process of moving.. maybe sometime in December.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 9, 2007, 10:33 PM
In that case, why don't we make it sometime around New Year's? Say, anywhere between the 28th to the 30th?

m0nkyman
Nov 10, 2007, 12:28 AM
^^ Original suggestion was for Dec 9th. I too am moving, and won't be around until then....

AuxTown
Nov 12, 2007, 4:35 AM
I'm heading for Toronto tonight for 3 weeks so December 9th sounds good to me. I'm thinking just a couple casual Jagerbombs! ;) ....just Red Bull for the non-drinkers.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2462/jagerbombpz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By jasonmleclair (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jasonmleclair)

Aylmer
Nov 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
Harls!!
You are coming to the wonderful, Heavenly, Quaint town of Aylmer!!!

Congrats!

harls
Nov 12, 2007, 3:20 PM
^yep. I've taken possession of the new house as of Nov. 9. right now we're painting everything and slowly transferring everything over... but we're moving the big stuff on Nov. 24. right now I'm in between places.

Aylmer
Nov 12, 2007, 10:07 PM
you changed your avatar...

Rathgrith
Nov 17, 2007, 10:38 PM
so is this going to be on the 9th of December?

m0nkyman
Nov 18, 2007, 8:54 PM
Might as well say yes. I'll be there unless something goes terribly awry.

Mille Sabords
Nov 19, 2007, 12:57 AM
I missed this whole thread until now but I'm good for a few cold ones on Dec. 9th.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 19, 2007, 1:26 AM
I think I might be able to get my shift off that day...

Rathgrith
Nov 19, 2007, 3:31 AM
Lets met at 1pm on the 9th?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 19, 2007, 3:52 AM
Works for me! :)

Mille Sabords
Nov 19, 2007, 1:24 PM
OK - the Dominion?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 29, 2007, 11:45 PM
Well this thread kinda died.

So far, from what I can gather, this is how it's all going down:

Where? The Dominion

When? Dec. 9th

What time? 1:00 p.m.

Are we all good for this time?

harls
Nov 30, 2007, 2:10 PM
Good to meet you guys last night (Jamaican-Phoenix and Mille Sabords)!

as for the 9th.. I've got a date with a karaoke machine in Montreal that evening.. sorry guys.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 30, 2007, 3:25 PM

as for the 9th.. I've got a date with a karaoke machine in Montreal that evening.. sorry guys.

Was nice to meet you too, dude!

Ah, come on! If we get ya hammered enough, you can start singing into a beer bottle. ;)

Rathgrith
Dec 5, 2007, 3:29 AM
I'll be there even though I should be studying...:sleep:

Mille Sabords
Dec 5, 2007, 1:47 PM

This thread got buried with other posts I guess... nice to meet you too, harls. Next time then. We'll be expecting you to belt out Pierre Poilievre's favourite song, Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love Youuuuuu.

m0nkyman
Dec 5, 2007, 4:10 PM
So far, from what I can gather, this is how it's all going down:

Where? The Dominion

When? Dec. 9th

What time? 1:00 p.m.

Are we all good for this time?

I'm in.

m0nkyman
Dec 8, 2007, 8:06 PM
*Bump*

Reminder that this is tomorrow. Once again, who's in?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Dec 8, 2007, 8:57 PM
I'll be there.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Dec 9, 2007, 5:16 AM
I've encountered a problem.

While I will be able to make it, I probably won't be able to make it until around 2:00 p.m. So don't get too hammered before I get there. :haha:

If there is even anyone left once I get there... :(

m0nkyman
Dec 9, 2007, 8:42 PM
Fircking cable guy. Booked for 11:00AM, and doesn't show until 3:30PM. :(

Sorry I missed this.

Mille Sabords
Dec 10, 2007, 1:52 AM
Sorry guys, I had to take care of some stuff with my family. Couldn't make it.

cityguy
Dec 10, 2007, 3:12 AM
Having a get together in the market at the start of the holiday season,is not the greatest idea!hope to meet you guys after the holiday rush!!

Rathgrith
Dec 10, 2007, 7:02 PM
Wow reading all the recent posts makes me feel less bad for not showing up. Sorry to who ever made it, I had to finish my term paper.

m0nkyman
Feb 7, 2008, 3:08 PM
bump. Anyone interested in trying this again?

Ottawade
Feb 7, 2008, 4:19 PM
I'm in depending on availability

Jamaican-Phoenix
Feb 7, 2008, 4:21 PM
Depending on what day and what hour, sure.

Mille Sabords
Feb 7, 2008, 4:24 PM
Iffy for me. Baby coming soon. I'll take note of the date and go if I can.

Rathgrith
Feb 7, 2008, 6:07 PM
I'm good in the Spring. Late Marchish would be nice.

p_xavier
Feb 8, 2008, 2:58 AM
Did people actually met last time? It reads like nobody showed up.

m0nkyman
Feb 8, 2008, 3:58 AM
I'm not sure, which is why I said 'try this again' rather than 'do this again'.
:shrug:

Rathgrith
Feb 10, 2008, 6:56 PM
I don't think so. I never did. Planned too though.

m0nkyman
Mar 23, 2008, 5:25 PM
*bump*