PDA

View Full Version : Centre Mall -> The Centre on Barton

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

raisethehammer
Nov 25, 2008, 3:25 PM
Have you ever wondered why no one ever listens? Hint: it's not because they are ignorant Hamilton-haters.

This thread, with rare exceptions, is not interested in reasonable discourse. We all have our biases, but frankly, this self-perpetuating negativity-drenched drivel is not constructive. As a newcomer to Hamilton, I truly hope the likes of raisthehammer have no real political or monetary influence outside this forum. (I suspect they do not).

Cheers guys, have fun wasting your breath.

believe me, nobody on this forum has wasted their breath more than this lame post.
Nobody's stopping you from watching your 11 hours of E! everyday and allowing your city to be ruined. Some of us actually care (no, not about the television schedule) and bother to show up at rallies, give money for limestone slabs, attend meeting after meeting in the hopes of making this a better place.
this forum is nothing more than an online stomping ground for ideas/rhetoric etc.....
I know many on this forum and we're happy to say that we hold little, if any influence on this forum and I personally love it that way.
We are influential and involved in our communities in a way that folks like you can't imagine.
Sadly, you're not the only one in town with such a negative, narrow view of life and our great city.

ryan_mcgreal
Nov 25, 2008, 3:30 PM
Have you ever wondered why no one ever listens? Hint: it's not because they are ignorant Hamilton-haters.

I never suggested it is. I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I don't think anyone is nefariously trying to destroy the city. Most political conflicts are between people with conflicting agendas and interests, not between 'good guys' and 'bad guys'.

This thread, with rare exceptions, is not interested in reasonable discourse.

You seem here to be defining "reasonable discourse" as "statements I agree with". The exchange between markbarbera and me, for example, has been civil, stuck mainly with the issues, and conceded facts more or less willingly. That's how I define "reasonable discourse". I understand and respect markbarbera's arguments; I just happen to disagree with them for the reasons I have stated.

Ironically, your comment arguably exacerbates the unconstructive "self-perpetuating negativity-drenched drivel" with which you take exception. Instead of addressing the issues, you would shift the discourse to the people discussing the issues.

Let's stick to the matter at hand and try not to let personalities get in the way of civility.

crhayes
Nov 25, 2008, 3:35 PM
I never suggested it is. (I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I don't think anyone is nefariously trying to destroy the city. Most political conflicts are between people with conflicting agendas and interests, not between 'good guys' and 'bad guys'.)

You seem here to be defining "reasonable discourse" as "statements I agree with". The exchange between markbarbera and me, for example, has been civil, stuck mainly with the issues, and conceded facts more or less willingly. That's how I define "reasonable discourse".

Ironically, your comment arguably exacerbates the unconstructive "self-perpetuating negativity-drenched drivel" with which you take exception. Instead of addressing the issues, you would shift the discourse to the people discussing the issues.

Let's stick to the matter at hand and try not to let personalities get in the way of civility.

I agree. This forum is here for us to discuss issues regarding Hamilton. Mark, raisethehammer and Ryan have been civil thus far. There are conflicting opinions and views, but when is everyone ever on the same page?

flar
Nov 25, 2008, 3:51 PM
Yes, let's keep this civil.

comadriver, if you are new to Hamilton it might take a while to understand the extent to which this city has been raped and mismanaged. As a relative newcomer to Hamilton myself (six years), I have become astounded at the things that go on here (and I don't think raped is too strong a word).

Centre Mall is a good example: developers have again been allowed to take the path of least resistance, to make a quick buck with the excuse that "it's better than nothing" by building something that makes no attempt to fit into its surroundings and has had no consideration given to its long term effects on the area. It would have required only a minimal amount of planning to better integrate the Centre Mall project with public transportation. The original plan pitched by the developers called for mixed use. The developers probably expected they would have to meet some minimal design requirements for this urban location in their initial proposal. However, it is apparent that once again the city did not hold them to any basic standard of urban design and thus the developers have chosen the path of least resistance and have not incorporated any public transport, residential, office or urban design principles into the project. They have been allowed to apply the generic suburban highway format in the very centre of the city, because, oh well, Hamilton should be happy that anyone is building anything here.

raisethehammer
Nov 25, 2008, 3:57 PM
I never suggested it is. I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I don't think anyone is nefariously trying to destroy the city. Most political conflicts are between people with conflicting agendas and interests, not between 'good guys' and 'bad guys'.

You seem here to be defining "reasonable discourse" as "statements I agree with". The exchange between markbarbera and me, for example, has been civil, stuck mainly with the issues, and conceded facts more or less willingly. That's how I define "reasonable discourse".

exactly right.
Comadrivers post was possibly the most unconstructive, negative pile of drivel uttered in this entire discussion.
It's a tired technique by people who have no good arguments or points to make, so they start attacking the people instead.

markbarbera
Nov 25, 2008, 5:44 PM
exactly right.
Comadrivers post was possibly the most unconstructive, negative pile of drivel uttered in this entire discussion.
It's a tired technique by people who have no good arguments or points to make, so they start attacking the people instead.

Let's not do a pile-on on comadriver's comment. There has been a lot of unconstructive, negative statements posted by others in this forum, including those jumping on comadriver right now. Self-righteousness is never well recieved, particularly when delivered in a hypocritical manner.

raisethehammer
Nov 25, 2008, 7:30 PM
Let's not do a pile-on on comadriver's comment. There has been a lot of unconstructive, negative statements posted by others in this forum, including those jumping on comadriver right now. Self-righteousness is never well recieved, particularly when delivered in a hypocritical manner.

I definitely agree.

hammergirl
Nov 25, 2008, 7:45 PM
Currently at Centre Mall RBC has a regular branch, an insurance office and another small office for corporate services or something like that. It's accessible from the outside of the mall next to the TD Canada Trust. My guess is that they're combining those three locations into the new building and that's why it's 2 stories.

raisethehammer
Nov 25, 2008, 8:10 PM
yet another missed opportunity for a street facing building with 2 floors.
oh well, I'll never go to this project so I really shouldn't care so much, but I hate seeing our city crapped on all the time with encouragement from the losers at the Hall.

markbarbera
Nov 25, 2008, 8:46 PM
Marks Work Wearhouse will be here as well. Trying to confirm if it will be a standalone location or incorporated in the Canadian Tire Store.

raisethehammer
Nov 25, 2008, 8:50 PM
I heard it's going to be inside of a Can Tire which is going to be inside of a GCSS which is going be inside of a Walmart which is going to be inside of Sams Club which is going to be inside of a Disneyland Castle.....

crhayes
Nov 25, 2008, 8:55 PM
I heard it's going to be inside of a Can Tire which is going to be inside of a GCSS which is going be inside of a Walmart which is going to be inside of Sams Club which is going to be inside of a Disneyland Castle.....

Which is going to be inside a Costco.

markbarbera
Nov 25, 2008, 9:19 PM

Stop listening to all those voices inside your head.

flar
Nov 25, 2008, 9:21 PM
We should try to be a little more civil on here, I think comadriver has closed his/her account.

raisethehammer
Nov 25, 2008, 9:59 PM
Stop listening to all those voices inside your head.

Lol....someone had to lighten up this chat.

raisethehammer
Nov 25, 2008, 10:01 PM
We should try to be a little more civil on here, I think comadriver has closed his/her account.

that's a shame if it's true, but honestly, why should we all pander to someone who shows up to take a bunch of cheap shots at people?
He/she didn't offer a single idea/thought regarding Centre Mall...his/her post was merely a bunch of cheap shots.
I'm sorry if my response contributed to them leaving, but seriously, if you can't take it, don't dish it out. Very simple.

markbarbera
Nov 25, 2008, 10:05 PM
Which is going to be inside a Costco.

Speaking of COSTCO, I understand they are finalizing a real estate purchase in the GHA. But that's a discussin for a different thread.

crhayes
Nov 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
Speaking of COSTCO, I understand they are finalizing a real estate purchase in the GHA. But that's a discussin for a different thread.

Yeah I heard the city is endorsing a warehouse on King between Bay and Hess :jester:

markbarbera
Nov 25, 2008, 10:48 PM
that's a shame if it's true, but honestly, why should we all pander to someone who shows up to take a bunch of cheap shots at people?
He/she didn't offer a single idea/thought regarding Centre Mall...his/her post was merely a bunch of cheap shots.
I'm sorry if my response contributed to them leaving, but seriously, if you can't take it, don't dish it out. Very simple.

This is not a fair statement. Review the 23 posts Comadriver made before closing his account. They were all positive posts that enriched the discussion here. Not once did he resort to namecalling.

As a contrast, RTH, review the last 100 posts that you have made and count how many times you belittled someone by calling them things like 'stupid' or 'ignorant'. Perhaps you (and the moderators) should rethink who it is that is really dishing out the cheap shots that drive decent forum posters away.

raisethehammer
Nov 25, 2008, 11:02 PM
This is not a fair statement. Review the 23 posts Comadriver made before closing his account. They were all positive posts that enriched the discussion here. Not once did he resort to namecalling.

As a contrast, RTH, review the last 100 posts that you have made and count how many times you belittled someone by calling them things like 'stupid' or 'ignorant'. Perhaps you (and the moderators) should rethink who it is that is really dishing out the cheap shots that drive decent forum posters away.

please find a post of mine where I called another poster stupid. ever.
I've called out some ignorant comments from time to time, as have all of us. If we can't chat like grow-ups then let's shut the whole thing down.
Comadriver beat me to it, but I've been mulling over ending my account here as well.
there's some great people and posters, but then there's others who only come on to start arguments.
Not to mention the whole 'urbanism' 'skyscraper' agenda on this site seems to no longer exist. I'm sure one could crack big box jokes at a big box convention and get treated better than on this site.

Da Warrior
Nov 26, 2008, 12:43 AM
FYI Zellers centre mall just put up 2 windmills today lol. Not that I even care for that place since it doesn't look like their going to have a footlocker anymore :(

crhayes
Nov 26, 2008, 1:27 AM
I've called out some ignorant comments from time to time, as have all of us. If we can't chat like grow-ups then let's shut the whole thing down.
Comadriver beat me to it, but I've been mulling over ending my account here as well.
there's some great people and posters, but then there's others who only come on to start arguments.
Not to mention the whole 'urbanism' 'skyscraper' agenda on this site seems to no longer exist. I'm sure one could crack big box jokes at a big box convention and get treated better than on this site.

You don't need to close your account, just don't continue arguing if it's pissing you off:rolleyes:

This forum would be dry without your commentary :cheers: lol

Jon Dalton
Nov 26, 2008, 1:30 AM
I doubt the guy with 8000 posts is going to cancel his account. He'd have serious withdrawal.

MsMe
Nov 26, 2008, 1:31 AM
Plus there is the iggy button. I have it used on one person. I won't mention names though. If I don't reply to your posts you will know why. ;)

fastcarsfreedom
Nov 26, 2008, 3:27 AM
Participation in the Forum is down significantly by my estimation.

Dundasguy
Nov 26, 2008, 4:06 AM

This is a bunch of BS, are you forgetting what you wrote about me 2 weeks ago. It was thankfully deleted when I reported it to the Moderators. I have noticed you belittle almost everyone on this board in one way or another who doesn't share your opinions.

Millstone
Nov 26, 2008, 6:59 AM
Not to derail this thread any further, but RTH attacks others via weak attacks on their ideals. Then you try to defend them, but defending common sense is kind of hard, so it's fruitless.

hmagazine
Nov 26, 2008, 11:14 PM
So what I'm seeing here is that everyone is right and RTH is wrong?

Wow - these must be some of the same folks who post some really out of whack comments on the Raise the Hammer threads...

If you don't like Cities and uniquely urban topics - stay away! You are just gonna drive yourself nuts...

realcity
Nov 27, 2008, 12:15 AM
I just saw this for the first time. I'm speechless... that is... very disappointed. This is another step backwards for that property, first changing from a race track to a mall and now a glorified Power Center. Every new phase was a step backwards from a proper urban, walkable, real city. I would have a bit of respect for it, if the the elevations facing the street had windows and proper frontage. Obviously they don't expect any patrons from the street/sidewalk... only cars.

F(**k this city... and these developers. Why bother? It won't attract new business because it's more car oriented. The same patrons the same busines. I'm certainly not shopping there because of new stucco and pad-site stores. gawddammit

fastcarsfreedom
Nov 27, 2008, 1:01 AM
If you don't like Cities and uniquely urban topics - stay away!

A more accurate and earnest statement would be, "if you don't think the way I think - stay away!" - because what you suggest here is that in order to "like" cities and urban topics - one must think exactly as you do.

F(**k this city... and these developers. Why bother?

A comment that requires no further dissection--except to say it's unbelievably negative and defeatist.

hmagazine
Nov 27, 2008, 1:11 AM

A more accurate and earnest statement would be, "if you don't think the way I think - stay away!" - because what you suggest here is that in order to "like" cities and urban topics - one must think exactly as you do.

A comment that requires no further dissection--except to say it's unbelievably negative and defeatist.

This forum could've been a contender...

highwater
Nov 27, 2008, 1:24 AM

You're being disingenuous. This is an urban forum devoted to all things urban. There is lots of room for differences of opinion on urban issues, but if you prefer the suburbs, and suburban models of development, then this simply isn't the place for you. It's like going on a Japanese flower arranging forum and complaining because no one is talking about scrapbooking.

What you call negative and defeatist, I call the righteous anger of someone who understands good urban form, cares passionately about his/her CITY, and is sick to death of the ignorance and apathy that produces stunning mediocrities like we see here. Again, if you are content with suburban models of development, this is not the forum for you.

flar
Nov 28, 2008, 2:37 AM
continue...

highwater
Nov 28, 2008, 3:00 PM
I have heard rumblings that some of the yet-to-be announced tenants include Winners, a home furnishing store (can't pin the brand down - hearing either Pier 1 or Home Outfitters), PetSmart, Indigo, Starbucks and Michaels. All would be warmly welcomed to the lower city. Can anyone confirm these rumours?

Not likely to be Pier 1. From the 24/7Wallst blog:

"Pier 1's (PIR) shares are on sale for $.50. A little less than a year ago they would have cost $8.25, making this a remarkable write-down. PIR said its Q3 same-store sales would be down as much as 18%. The firm says it has a $325 million credit facility, but the stock market clearly thinks that is inadequate. The company's guidance for the quarter sent shareholders running for the exits. In the last quarter, revenue fell 7% and the company lost $30 million. Pier 1 pulled its guidance because it believes it cannot predict how much the retail market will deteriorate. With $183 million in debt, it won't take much to tip Pier 1 into insolvency. UBS recently cut its price target on the shares."

LikeHamilton
Nov 28, 2008, 3:46 PM
The new TD Canada Trust is now open. This is the first of the new buildings to open.

SteelTown
Nov 28, 2008, 4:07 PM
Maybe a Home Outfitters? It's part of HBC and with the Bay relocating to Eastgate this could be a way for them to keep a HBC connection to Centre Mall.

fastcarsfreedom
Nov 28, 2008, 4:27 PM
Home Outfitters would be a possibility--as would the Winners-owned HomeSense or Quebec-based BouClair Home. In light of the economic crisis I would expect a number of bankruptcy filings/insolvencies come January--many of which may well affect the Canadian market. Pier 1 is clearly one of the companies to keep an eye on as far as failure goes--it would surprise me to see any expansion from them in the near term.

MsMe
Nov 28, 2008, 5:25 PM
:hmmm: I feel like we are playing who done it, but we are playing what it's going to be.

Big waiting game indeed. ;)

matt602
Nov 28, 2008, 6:05 PM
I can't wait to see how many of those new retailers actually appear. I still want to be surprised by a movie complex or something. So badly needed in this end of the city. People here have to go all the way downtown, up the mountain or to Ancaster to see anything.

SteelTown
Nov 28, 2008, 6:08 PM
Take the Red Hill up to the new movie cineplex.

ryan_mcgreal
Nov 28, 2008, 6:09 PM
As promised:

http://planetsave.com/files/2007/08/beer1.jpg

(Image source: planetsave.com (http://planetsave.com/files/2007/08/beer1.jpg))

matt602
Nov 28, 2008, 6:13 PM
Take the Red Hill up to the new movie cineplex.

And for us citizens who rely on public transit to get around? :sly:

Seriously though, is there any service to that place?

SteelTown
Nov 28, 2008, 6:20 PM
The new Rymal bus route?

ryan_mcgreal
Nov 28, 2008, 6:27 PM
The new Rymal bus route?

So, what, bus service for 7.5 hours a day?

MsMe
Nov 28, 2008, 6:34 PM
I agree with Matt. A movie theatre is needed in the east end. They should make the old Commisso's at Nash and Barton into one, or the empty school on Nash and Kentley. And those areas are on a bus route.

matt602
Nov 28, 2008, 8:32 PM
Yep, well served bus routes that run all day.

markbarbera
Nov 28, 2008, 9:29 PM
I like to take in my films at Jackson Square. No fancy stadium seating, but a decent screen and cheaper admission to boot. And plenty of buses arriving from all points.

MsMe
Nov 28, 2008, 10:01 PM
Yep, well served bus routes that run all day.

And they are both on the Bayfront routes which go downtown even without having to transfer.

mishap
Dec 2, 2008, 9:55 AM
And for us citizens who rely on public transit to get around? :sly:

Seriously though, is there any service to that place?
Yes. 43 goes right by, and 11 comes close. It's not so great Saturday night or Sunday when the 42 isn't running, but that'll be improved eventually.

I expect that area to be a major transfer point in a few years (I won't go so far as to call it a hub) as it's right near a major mountain access.

markbarbera
Dec 2, 2008, 1:48 PM
Getting back to Centre Mall, I passed by the site on Sunday afternoon. Zellers has its Grand Re-opening this Thursday (December 4th), and TD Bank has a 'now open' banner in front of its new location.

Also, as promised, I did a count of the empty storefronts in the existing traditional streetwall along Barton between Ottawa and Wentworth. I was only able to focus on the north side of the road. Along this side, I could make out 35 empty storefronts, about a dozen that had been converted to makeshift apartments, and ten more storefronts being used as storage units. And very few pedestrians. Next time I pass by I'll focus on the south side of the streetwall.

the dude
Dec 4, 2008, 9:21 AM
^i'm sorry, and what's your point again?

markbarbera
Dec 4, 2008, 11:21 AM
^i'm sorry, and what's your point again?

Review the posts on or around November 24 for proper context.

the dude
Dec 4, 2008, 12:54 PM
no thanks. i don't need to read that pointless drivel again. what empty storefronts on barton have to do with the centre mall redevelopment is beyond me. you're wrong. very wrong and you need to admit as much. hey, i'm wrong all the time and i readily admit it when i am. it's very cathartic. where urban design is concerned, you're outta your realm.

markbarbera
Dec 4, 2008, 10:02 PM
I had referred to the high vacancy rate in the existing traditional streetwall along Barton west of Centre Mall several days ago, and another poster challenged me on that statement, saying that I was exaggerating the condition of Barton west of the mall. At the time I promised to count the empty storefronts next tme I went along Barton, which I had done. And that was the point of my post the other day.

As far as understanding the concept of urban design, I would say that most of us posting here have an equivalent level of competence on that matter.

The new Zellers opened today. Did anyone get there today?

adam
Dec 5, 2008, 3:16 AM
I've been to many Zellers in my life, they are basically all the same, no?

Jon Dalton
Dec 5, 2008, 4:01 AM
RIP James and King William.

mishap
Dec 5, 2008, 10:03 AM
I was there. Once inside, I could've sworn I was in the Waterdown store. Nearly identical layout.

FairHamilton
Dec 5, 2008, 8:07 PM
I had referred to the high vacancy rate in the existing traditional streetwall along Barton west of Centre Mall several days ago, and another poster challenged me on that statement, saying that I was exaggerating the condition of Barton west of the mall. At the time I promised to count the empty storefronts next tme I went along Barton, which I had done. And that was the point of my post the other day.

As far as understanding the concept of urban design, I would say that most of us posting here have an equivalent level of competence on that matter.

I was off work yesterday and popped in to see Zellers. Seemed like every other large store in that category. It won't be on my regular shopping travels.

In regards to the condition of storefronts and retail between Sherman and Ottawa is extremely challenged, period. If anyone wants to challenge me on that statement, I'm happy to walk the stretch with them this weekend and we can observe and discuss the situation along Barton.

Speaking of empty stores Littlewoods, a pharmacy that I've more than a few times wiped the grime from the window and peered into, is featured on The Spec's Multimedia today.

I'd give my eye teeth to get some time inside; http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/476949

adam
Dec 5, 2008, 9:42 PM
RIP James and King William.

Are you referring to Lister Block? Why RIP.. what happened?

matt602
Dec 5, 2008, 9:51 PM
Are you referring to Lister Block? Why RIP.. what happened?

Nope, he's referring to the Zellers store that used to be on the opposite corner from Lister Block. It was demolished some time in the 1990's I think.

Anyway The Barn at Centre was finally re-branded as Metro some time this week. The old Zellers is of course closed now, and the new Shoppers Drug Mart is taking obvious shape.

flar
Dec 5, 2008, 9:52 PM
The empty lot across from Lister used to be a Zellers.

bornagainbiking
Dec 5, 2008, 11:48 PM
The Barn at KingRose Plaza is METRO now.

flar
Dec 6, 2008, 12:01 AM
The Metro rebranding is also complete at the A&P in Dundas and Barns in Dundas and Westdale.

markbarbera
Dec 6, 2008, 1:26 PM
I was in the Metro on Upper James the other day. I like the new concept. The rebranding has involved more physical renovations than I expected. I really like the new prepared foods areas - very clean looking and easy to find stuff.

The rebranding at the Centre Mall Metro is much more basic, presumably because an entirely new location is being built just west of the new Zellers. Anyone have a completion date for it? I'm guessing next spring sometime.

LikeHamilton
Dec 6, 2008, 3:19 PM
The staff at the Metro store at Centre Mall told me they expect to move to the new store next summer. Yes it is next to, west of the new Zellers store behind the present Metro.

adam
Dec 6, 2008, 8:26 PM
Is the new Zeller's a lot better than the old Zeller's?

FairHamilton
Dec 6, 2008, 8:58 PM
Is the new Zeller's a lot better than the old Zeller's?

Sorry, I'd never stepped foot in the old one. Not my favourite shopping place......

hammergirl
Dec 7, 2008, 10:17 PM
The Barn at Upper Ottawa and StoneChurch is a Metro now too. I was there last week and was impressed with the changes but was disappointed they didn't have any frozen veggies in the store at the time.

adam
Dec 7, 2008, 10:50 PM
Great place for fresh veggies just down the street from the Centre parking-lot mall...
http://www.farmersmarketsontario.com/MarketDetails.cfm?uMarketID=131

fastcarsfreedom
Dec 8, 2008, 1:45 AM
Most of the physical renovations of the existing A&P/Dominion/Barn/Loeb are complete. The rebranding is the last step in the strategy and basically involves only signage changes, new promotional materials and a change in staff uniforms. The change seems to be occuring systematically (city-by-city) in Ontario--radiating outward from the GTA, which seems to have been completed first.

adam
Dec 9, 2008, 4:31 PM
So are they changing the name of Centre Mall? A mall has a shared pedestrian area.... something like Centre Plaza would be accurate. :shrug:

fastcarsfreedom
Dec 9, 2008, 4:51 PM
Centre Mall was a name used for marketing purposes. The property is/was officially called the Greater Hamilton Shopping Centre. Sears used that full name throughout the store's existence.

markbarbera
Dec 9, 2008, 10:53 PM
There's been no indication of any name change to the development. I would be surprised if they did change the branding. No need to really.

realcity
Dec 10, 2008, 1:20 AM
The Centre Power Center

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/CentreMallHamiltonCanada.JPG/200px-CentreMallHamiltonCanada.JPG

i couldn't resist, i love the name so much

logo
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/theshawsphotos/cities/Center-Power-Center.jpg?t=1228875153

pylon
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/theshawsphotos/cities/Center-Power-Center-pylon.jpg?t=1228874813

adam
Dec 10, 2008, 2:41 AM
Great branding idea realcity! The American spelling of Center at the end to show its a group of US owned box stores. And its no longer a mall, so silly to keep calling it that.

BCTed
Dec 10, 2008, 4:23 AM
Great branding idea realcity! The American spelling of Center at the end to show its a group of US owned box stores. And its no longer a mall, so silly to keep calling it that.

US owned? As far as I know, the following are all Canadian-owned or at least have Canadian roots:

Canadian Tire
Tip Top
TD Canada Trust
Hollywood Salon
Sally Beauty
CIBC
Scotiabank
Centre Mall Dental
Peoples Jewellers
Rogers
Boston Pizza
Tim Horton's
Bell World
Desjardin Credit Union
Zellers
Shoppers Drug Mart
Royal Bank
LCBO
Metro
Brewers Retail

astroblaster
Dec 10, 2008, 2:26 PM
how about East Hamilton Park 'N' Consume

fastcarsfreedom
Dec 10, 2008, 2:41 PM
I'm so amused by the discussion in this thread. Please get over the fact that the former Centre Mall was NEVER some oasis of urbanism, populated only by folks who walked, rode bikes or took transit. It was a mid-century shopping centre built specifically for folks who wanted to drive, park for free and shop. It was built specifically to capture retail trade from what were the primary commercial districts at the time (namely, downtown). Claiming anything else is a cross between simple delusion and revisionist history.

Secondly, the term "Mall" while generally used to refer to enclosed shopping centres, is not exclusively used as such. Most people I knew referred to it simply as "The Centre" anyway.

realcity
Dec 10, 2008, 3:08 PM
i agree, but this is still is a step backwards.

I think indoor Malls have much more urban value then Power Centers. At least you park once and patronize multiple stores and services. A mall parking lot has considerably less cars driving around then these formats because of this reason. These formats encourage people to park visit a store then get back in the car and drive through the parking lot to visit another store within the same complex.

Indoor malls make more sense in Canada, when we have winter/slush 6 months a year and 30 degree humid whether for another two months.

It should be a horse track.

markbarbera
Dec 10, 2008, 3:10 PM
C'mon guys, Adam was obviously trolling to revive the same old tired arguments against the Centre Mall redevelopment. Why take the bait?

I was in the new Zellers over the weekend. I really like the new layout. The wide aisles and general layout is a marked improvement over the old location at the mall. It was way to cluttered and had an odd layout, much due to the fact that it was designed originally for a completely different style of department store.

adam
Dec 10, 2008, 5:44 PM
Here's an interesting article (http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1056943) about China's exports falling. Do you guys think this will mean stores like Zellers will have more North American products? This could revive a lot of jobs and provide higher quality products.. people making things for their own community tend to have a greater degree of pride in what they do..

MsMe
Dec 10, 2008, 6:05 PM
Chapters is a Canadian store. It's one of my favourites. ;)

FairHamilton
Dec 10, 2008, 6:38 PM
Here's an interesting article (http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1056943) about China's exports falling. Do you guys think this will mean stores like Zellers will have more North American products? This could revive a lot of jobs and provide higher quality products.. people making things for their own community tend to have a greater degree of pride in what they do..

No, I think it means demand for products is falling. Not that people are sourcing locally.

LikeHamilton
Dec 10, 2008, 8:54 PM
Back on topic!

They have started to erect the steel work for the new Canadian tire store.

SteelTown
Dec 26, 2008, 7:12 PM
New Zellers Hamilton Grand Opening
Relocated green store part of downtown revitalization

Hamilton, ON: Dec 4, 2008 - Hudson’s Bay Company (Hbc) is pleased to announce the grand opening of its Hamilton, ON Zellers in the new Centre Mall located on 1211 Barton Street, behind the old shopping centre.

This newest Zellers store is one of the greenest Zellers ever, featuring a variety of progressive elements that will minimize the store’s impact on the environment. It is also a part of the recent revitalization of the downtown Hamilton area, which is undergoing an extensive makeover featuring more pedestrian friendly streets and attractive green spaces to entice more visitors and residents to the downtown core. The new location follows the Zellers prototype store layout offering over 120,000 square feet of space that reflects Hbc’s strategy to update its Zellers format with new departments and better brands. In addition, the store features wider aisles, improved energy efficient lighting and better signage. The new store replaces the former location and exceeds the size of the old store by 20,000 square feet.

Sustainable features in the new Hamilton store include:
• Two wind turbines, which will generate enough electricity to power an average house;
• Solar panels, contributing green power to the store;
• A white roof which reflects and disperses heat;
• Touchless faucets and flushers, which will reduce water use;
• Heating, ventilating and air conditioning units (HVAC) which use no ozone depleting refrigerants;
• Exterior signage is LED illuminated; and
• State of the art InterfaceFLOR covering (carpet) which is carbon neutral, with 40% recycled content and can be fully reclaimed at end of life.

The store also features a fully automated energy management system that is controlled remotely by Hbc’s head office. The system allows for central control over the timing of indoor and outdoor lights, temperature control, CO2 reduction, humidity control, electricity consumption, remote lighting and more. This system allows Hbc to adjust temperatures and reduce lighting levels in the store during heat waves in response to energy conservation requests by the Province of Ontario.

The Zellers Hamilton location is an important part of the Hbc’s broader sustainability program called Global Mind. Hbc is committed to ensuring its stores and operations are energy efficient and environmentally friendly through programs such as:
• The Hbc Waste Reduction Work Plan thus recycling all paper, cardboard, hangers, plastic and plastic film, with a goal of 90% waste diversion rate;
• A program to take back plastic shopping bags and to promote the use of reusable ones;
• A customer recycling station; and
• Return programs for rechargeable batteries and cell phones.

“In addition to being a state of the art Zellers store with approximately 170 associates employed, it will also feature programs like plastic shopping bag and battery recycling, and an in-store Zero Waste program that will allow our associates and customers to take an active role in reducing the store’s environmental footprint,” said Steve Shepherd, store manager.

The new location also benefits from custom designed, color specific signage and photography aimed at simplifying store navigation and searching for leading brands like Alfred Sung, Nest by House & Home, Midtown, Sportek, Carroll Reed and Hannah Montana a more intuitive customer experience. The store also features:
• Neighborhood Market - grocery section with cooler and freezer;
• Expanded cosmetics section with a wider assortment of brands;
• Expanded pharmacy;
• Beauty salon; and

hmagazine
Dec 26, 2008, 7:58 PM
"It is also a part of the recent revitalization of the downtown Hamilton area, which is undergoing an extensive makeover featuring more pedestrian friendly streets and attractive green spaces to entice more visitors and residents to the downtown core."

Huh?

SteelTown
Dec 26, 2008, 8:31 PM
I had to post that article it's just a strange news article.

astroblaster
Dec 27, 2008, 2:46 AM
downtown = not on the mountain.. come on guys get your suburban lingo straight.

SteelTown
Dec 27, 2008, 2:57 AM
But it says "downtown core" so it makes it sound like Centre Mall is at King and James.

But retail market area is loopy anyways, look at Eastgate which is marketed as Stoney Creek. Noticing more and more that Centre Mall is being marketed as the Hamilton mall, "Zellers Hamilton" and possible "SilverCity Hamilton".

realcity
Dec 27, 2008, 4:20 PM
what do you expect from a corporate press release written by someone who has never been to Hamilton.

FairHamilton
Dec 29, 2008, 1:37 AM
^^Seriously now, what could they possibly do to these walls?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/3003497814_4e64feea90.jpg

Drove past along Barton this morning and noticed the construction fencing was down (pushed down) and a small tag present.

adam
Dec 29, 2008, 5:34 AM
Looks like the wall of a prison to me - tagging suits it

SteelTown
Feb 13, 2009, 12:25 PM
New Barton Canadian Tire 'smart store'

February 13, 2009
Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/512882

The new Canadian Tire store on Barton Street is a clever development.

Lisa Gibson, spokesperson for Canadian Tire, said it will be a "smart store" -- the third in a pilot project by the iconic retailer in addition to stores in Welland and Ottawa.

Smart stores offer everything from clothing (in a Mark's Work Wearhouse inside the store) to groceries to an expanded assortment of fitness products and nutritional supplements. Not to mention a renewed focus on customer service.

"We're trying to find ways to give customers a more compelling experience," said Gibson.

The success of these new stores and another, new format smaller market store for rural areas, may prove critical to the firm's success, significant given the news yesterday about its fourth-quarter earnings.

Canadian Tire announced yesterday its net profit in the fourth quarter fell nearly 23 per cent to $101.2 million. But sales increased as severe winter weather drove customers to its stores for snow shovels, ice salt, industrial clothing and other goods.

It reported its net income fell to $1.24 per share, down from a net profit of $131.3 million, or $1.61 per share at the same time in 2007. The decline reflected accounting provisions and higher spending at the company's main Canadian Tire division.

But it was Canadian Tire's retail store division that accounted for most of the company's operating revenue - $2.36 billion, up 9.1 per cent from $2.17 billion a year ago.

The company's petroleum division, which operates gasoline bars and convenience stores, had lower gross operating revenue, which fell by 4.6 per cent to $414.3 million from $434.1 million.

Its adjusted earnings before income tax increased to $6.3 million from $4.4 million.

Mark's Work Wearhouse, the company's clothing division, contributed $355.7 million in gross revenue, up 9 per cent from $326.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2007. Its adjusted earnings before income taxes rose by 7.4 per cent to $72.2 million from $67.2 million.

"Wherever possible we will put a Mark's inside a store," said Gibson.

The 105,000-square-foot store on Barton will host a Mark's, but it will also offer some groceries: frozen foods such as burgers, dry goods, milk and bread and other convenience food.

The stores also feature customer pick-up, for the times when you buy a patio set that won't fit in the cart next to the box of light bulbs.

It will also have an auto centre, garden centre, gas bar and a series of boutiques inside with specialized customer service desks.

Still, Canadian Tire said yesterday it's worried about the impact of the growing recession on its business and said it won't provide profit and revenue predictions for the year due to the volatile economy.

Locally, the Canadian Tire on Barton is a critical piece of the overall redevelopment of Centre Mall, which began last year.

The formerly enclosed mall is slowly being taken apart while new sections open, featuring a Zellers, Metro, several banks, Shoppers Drug Mart, The Beer Store and several other smaller stores and offices. A Boston Pizza will be part of a stand-alone food court.

The new Canadian Tire is to open this spring.

flar
Feb 13, 2009, 12:35 PM
They're really pushing it by offering groceries at Canadian Tire. I just need them for a quick cheap oil change with my coupons and to pick up some windshield washer fluid.

MsMe
Feb 13, 2009, 4:37 PM
Some of the new stores etc will be opening in April so I heard. Shoppers is now closed at the old mall. Easy Home was still open, the optomostrist and Optical Factory was still open and only a couple of other stores were still open. It's sure looking like a ghost town in there now.

Jon Dalton
Feb 13, 2009, 5:39 PM
Great - further homogenization of retail. Some day, it will just be one big store.

omro
Feb 13, 2009, 8:48 PM
Great - further homogenization of retail. Some day, it will just be one big store.

Erm.... that's been around for a long, long time.... the Department Store ;)

Selfridges (http://www.selfridges.co.uk/) in London, in the same day and store I bought: a pair of jeans, some fruit and veg, a usb memory stick for my laptop, a cat flap and the saw to cut through the door to fit it into.

Jon Dalton
Feb 13, 2009, 9:13 PM
I wish. Department stores are long gone around here.

omro
Feb 13, 2009, 9:27 PM
I wish. Department stores are long gone around here.

:(

Shame, have you seen the building that Selfridges of London is in, it's a nice building. Now if some of the Centre Mall buildings looked like that, even well mocked up, doubt anyone would complain too much!

FairHamilton
Feb 19, 2009, 2:50 AM
Shoppers Drugmart's Grand Opening is this Saturday, February 21st.