PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Deez
Mar 19, 2008, 8:44 PM
Build some frigging 300m towers then...

=================
The fight for that prestigious address
By Roman Zakaluzny, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Wed, Mar 19, 2008 12:00 PM EST

Despite new office towers, fed demand keeps downtown market hopping

As the federal government continues to gobble up office digs downtown, private-sector companies are moving quickly to secure space for themselves in a market dominated by the public service.

Vacant commercial real estate in the downtown – in particular large amounts of contiguous space – are getting snapped up as quickly as they are becoming free, say the experts.

It's a trend that hasn't abated despite Constitution Square's 350,000-square-foot third phase coming on stream last May, and Minto's new LEED Gold building at 180 Kent St. that's expected to be completed in mid-2009.

"I guess there's not a whole lot of space left in the new Constitution Square III tower, last time I checked," said Michael Church, principal and vice-president of Avison Young commercial brokers' Ottawa office. "They've got a number of encumbered floors there. If someone was looking for 30,000 square feet of space, they'd be hard pressed to get it. You can get some . . . but you'd have to stagger it over time. Contiguous space is hard to find."

Mr. Church laid the blame for that on the federal government, which he said has been snapping up all the "big blocks" of space as quickly as they become available.

"The market is still healthy in Ottawa," agreed Denis Shank, an associate vice-president at GVA Devencore's Ottawa brokerage office.

"The feds have 50 per cent of the space out there. What they decide – the ripple effects – definitely impact the market," he said.

Private sector firms with large space requirements, like Ottawa's larger law firms, need to play musical chairs – and they need to play the game quickly – in order to meet their space requirements.

This September, Nelligan O'Brien Payne LLP is planning on moving its 125 Ottawa staff from its current class-B digs at 66 Slater St. three blocks away to the 15th floor of the Sun Life Financial Centre at 50 O'Connor St. (formerly the Clarica building).

The move will help consolidate the law firm to one floor instead of three, said office manager and HR director Caroline Choquette, and will allow it to upgrade from a class-B space to a leaner and meaner class-A office space befitting a large firm. It will also be a more environmentally friendly office, she said.

"It will afford us to all be on one floor. The floor plate is much larger," said Ms. Choquette. "We're coming to the end of our lease. We've been here for 20 years, and we're basically looking for fresh, new space, and a building that can provide more services" for its staff, including restaurants, banks and even dry cleaners, something Ms. Choquette said was in short supply on the east end of Slater.

"We like the (current) location – it's close to the courthouse and the Rideau Centre," she acknowledged. "But we're only moving three blocks away."

Of course, with Nelligan's space requirements reaching some 30,000 square feet, it's a move that needed smooth deal making and some lucky timing to proceed, said Mr. Church.

For Nelligan to move to the Sun Life building, someone else had to vacate.

"What happened was Osler (Hoskin & Harcourt LLP) moved out of 50 O'Connor and into the top two floors of Constitution Square phase III," explained Mr. Church. "(Osler) had been there probably since it was built 20 years ago." Musical chairs ensued. With Osler moving out, Nelligan moved in, and everyone ended up more or less where they wanted.

"The feds were a concern," said Ms. Choquette. "But when we actually started looking, we had specific buildings in mind, so we knew what we wanted and where we wanted to go. We had about three or four options open to us, so we didn't feel like we were squeezed into having to take specific space. We were able to cherry pick space that we wanted, and we got into a building that was probably our number one choice."

Ms. Choquette said she could not give details on how much Nelligan is paying for the lease at 50 O'Connor, although space there is being advertised at $28 a square foot. The lease was a "standard" 10-year deal with options to downsize after five years and the first right of refusal on contiguous space if they felt like expanding, she said.

"Of course there's so much pressure from the feds," said Mr. Church. "They get the big blocks. When big blocks (become available), they get snapped up. So it's getting a little tighter."

In fact, Mr. Church said, rumours about town are pointing towards a federal government tender call for 30,000 square feet, due out this week. He sees them snapping up the newly vacated Nelligan office at 66 Slater, even though it is a class-B space.

"As long as (the building) meets accessibility standards, the government is very rate-driven, as we know," Mr. Church said. "And it makes it a lot easier to get it by Treasury Board."

I'm not sure if I buy this. There are a ton of commercial proposals out in the CBD that aren't getting any play at all. I've also yet to hear if Minto has secured anybody for 180 Kent...and they would definitely announce something like that.

Aylmer
Mar 20, 2008, 1:19 AM
And the solution is: Build up!

:)

Deez
Mar 27, 2008, 5:11 PM
There's a construction crane up beside Ottawa U's newish sports field. Anybody know what it's for?

Aylmer
Mar 27, 2008, 9:20 PM
Also, There is something going on on St.Raymond near the gGatienau Parkway...

Some sort of road I guess...

spotlight
Mar 28, 2008, 4:02 AM
There's a construction crane up beside Ottawa U's newish sports field. Anybody know what it's for?

Nothing too exciting... it's simply a crane for the massive water main project going on behind the sandy hill community centre.

they dug maybe 4 floors below ground all winter long and are replacing a massive water main and sewer system.. the hole was actually quite impressive...Probably twice the size of the mondrian hole

harls
Mar 28, 2008, 1:49 PM
Also, There is something going on on St.Raymond near the gGatienau Parkway...

Some sort of road I guess...

I think that's a sound barrier.

Acajack
Mar 28, 2008, 2:02 PM
Exactement.

Rathgrith
Mar 28, 2008, 2:12 PM
Nothing too exciting... it's simply a crane for the massive water main project going on behind the sandy hill community centre.

they dug maybe 4 floors below ground all winter long and are replacing a massive water main and sewer system.. the hole was actually quite impressive...Probably twice the size of the mondrian hole

It is impressive, and seeing as I live across the street from it, the blasting was even more fun! Especially early in the morning when i was in the shower and bottles fell on me.

Its supposed to be finished Spring 2009.

Aylmer
Mar 28, 2008, 5:49 PM
It's a lot more exciting than a sound barrier.

:(

harls
Mar 28, 2008, 9:00 PM
They are pretty exciting things, aren't they?

More raping of the landscape is occuring on Chemin d'Aylmer, across from the Hippodrome. Some new strip mall is going in.. trees were bulldozed and the cement foundation was poured all within a couple of days.. I was surprised.

The Park Place Condos on Taché/St. Joseph is moving along quickly as well.. the pit has been shored up. No signs of a crane yet, I'm not quite sure there will be one.

harls
Mar 28, 2008, 9:08 PM
I was walking near the proposed Richcraft condos and saw a City of Ottawa notice on the south side (Nepean St) - it said that a couple of the places were slated for demolition but one was allowed to stay. You'd think they'd try to snap up all of the abandoned shitshacks on that corner, unless this one place wasn't abandoned and the squatter, er.. owner was holding out for a major buyout.

Richcraft has signs on all three sides of the lot now (Gloucester, Nepean, Bay). It's reminiscent of that game 'squeeze-play' on The Price is Right.

clynnog
Mar 28, 2008, 9:08 PM
They are pretty exciting things, aren't they?
More raping of the landscape is occuring on Chemin d'Aylmer, across from the Hippodrome. Some new strip mall is going in.. trees were bulldozed and the cement foundation was poured all within a couple of days.. I was surprised.

Just what Aylmer needs...another strip mall...speaking of which isn't this strip mall near Cabaret le Pink...a fine establishment of impeccable virtue.

harls
Mar 28, 2008, 9:10 PM
^ it is.. right across the street from that place and the now abandoned "Mr. Gas".

Another strip mall is planned across from Allen Rd, near the Champlain Golf course. Blech.

waterloowarrior
Apr 1, 2008, 4:38 AM
from the draft comprehensive zbl report

801 Wellington Street

Ward 14
(DCR Phoenix Corp.)
request

Allow FSI of 2.9 on the subject site.

staff response

A zoning amendment process is underway for this site, to permit two apartments buildings, both with heights of 63.8 m.
Should this site be rezoned, as per the current zoning amendment request under the current old Ottawa Zoning By-law, the Draft Comprehensive Zoning By-law will reflect the permissions granted, including any changes to FSI to ensure compliance with the new Zoning By-law.

Is this the parcel along Scott/Albert adjacent to City Centre? This proposal has been mentioned previously..

clynnog
Apr 1, 2008, 12:39 PM
^ it is.. right across the street from that place and the now abandoned "Mr. Gas".

Another strip mall is planned across from Allen Rd, near the Champlain Golf course. Blech.

Isn't there a Masonic Hall along there....they seem to be a bit of an anomoly (sp?) in QC.

harls
Apr 1, 2008, 2:44 PM
Yes, the Masonic Temple is on the opposite corner. Whenver I see that place, it reminds me of some secret clubhouse. The strip mall is going on the NW corner of Castelbeau / Aylmer Rd.

harls
Apr 1, 2008, 3:12 PM
Gatt posted this in the Gatineau section - a new microbrewery for downtown Gatineau:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080401/CPDROIT/80331264/6784/CPDROIT

it's located at the brick building in the middle of this pic (by me, last November)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/1863059416_8342761579_b.jpg

Incidentally, the G. Leblanc building next door is becoming a baby store. Looks like Montcalm is on the way to becoming the next big trendy street.

Kitchissippi
Apr 1, 2008, 3:14 PM
from the draft comprehensive zbl report

801 Wellington Street

Ward 14
(DCR Phoenix Corp.)
request

Allow FSI of 2.9 on the subject site.

staff response

A zoning amendment process is underway for this site, to permit two apartments buildings, both with heights of 63.8 m.
Should this site be rezoned, as per the current zoning amendment request under the current old Ottawa Zoning By-law, the Draft Comprehensive Zoning By-law will reflect the permissions granted, including any changes to FSI to ensure compliance with the new Zoning By-law.

Is this the parcel along Scott/Albert adjacent to City Centre? This proposal has been mentioned previously..

If the address is 801, it should be on the north side of Wellington because it is an odd number. City Centre used to be 880 Wellington, so it should be also a bit east of that site. This somewhat places it (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=801+wellington,+ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=67.009885,91.845703&ie=UTF8&ll=45.411707,-75.715413&spn=0.035399,0.044847&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr) at the corner of (Wellington) Albert and the future extension of Preston street. I thought all this land still belongs to the NCC.

But then again, Wellington used to veer south from City Centre, making that parcel you mention to be on the north side of it....

Acajack
Apr 1, 2008, 4:33 PM
Gatt posted this in the Gatineau section - a new microbrewery for downtown Gatineau:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080401/CPDROIT/80331264/6784/CPDROIT

it's located at the brick building in the middle of this pic (by me, last November)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/1863059416_8342761579_b.jpg

Incidentally, the G. Leblanc building next door is becoming a baby store. Looks like Montcalm is on the way to becoming the next big trendy street.

Hopefully there isn't too much traffic there to prevent this from happening. It's the main route between the 50 and the Chaudière Bridge, and will likely be fitted with buses-only lanes within the next two years as one of the Rapibus links between the rail right-of-way and the Terrasses de la Chaudière and Place du Portage complexes.

My fingers are crossed that with a bit of work and imagination this can one day become something like the River Walk (Paseo del Rio) in San Antonio, Texas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Walk

Kitchissippi
Apr 1, 2008, 4:48 PM
Hopefully there isn't too much traffic there to prevent this from happening. It's the main route between the 50 and the Chaudière Bridge, and will likely be fitted with buses-only lanes within the next two years as one of the Rapibus links between the rail right-of-way and the Terrasses de la Chaudière and Place du Portage complexes.

My fingers are crossed that with a bit of work and imagination this can one day become something like the River Walk (Paseo del Rio) in San Antonio, Texas:

One of the large lots is for sale (http://recherche.centris.ca/centris/search.col?dispatch=srch&match.typeBatiment=&cat=&match.indLocation=false&locale=fr&match.dateCreationFrom=&match.superficieTerrainTo=&token=30886eec-a8bf-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66&match.superficieHabitableTo=&match.nombreSalleBainTo=&match.prixDemandeFrom=&match.nombreChambreFrom=&match.nombreChambreType=NB_CHAMBRES&match.superficieHabitableType=&match.superficieHabitableFrom=&match.genrePropriete=&match.caracteristiques=&match.prixDemandeTo=&match.superficieTerrainType=&match.categoriePropriete=UNI&match.nombreChambreTo=&match.noMLS%5B0%5D=002089&match.nombreSalleBainFrom=&match.superficieTerrainFrom=&nbParPages=1&currentPage=0) around there. I hope someone does a good job with building something cool.

Mille Sabords
Apr 1, 2008, 5:42 PM

Wow, I didn't know this existed! Who knew Texas could manage so much urbanity?

Acajack
Apr 1, 2008, 5:53 PM
Not everyone is a fan, but I found it pretty cool when I was there about 10-15 years ago. I lived in Ottawa at the time, and it left me wishing parts of the Rideau Canal could have this type of vibrancy ("animation" in French).

Of course, much if not most of San Antonio is still exactly what you'd expect from a large Texas city: sprawl-sprawl-sprawl.

Kitchissippi
Apr 1, 2008, 6:02 PM
I think this is what some people want the Aqueduct in LeBreton Flats to be like. It will be interesting when we get to that phase between Booth and Preston

waterloowarrior
Apr 1, 2008, 8:50 PM
If the address is 801, it should be on the north side of Wellington because it is an odd number. City Centre used to be 880 Wellington, so it should be also a bit east of that site. This somewhat places it (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=801+wellington,+ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=67.009885,91.845703&ie=UTF8&ll=45.411707,-75.715413&spn=0.035399,0.044847&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr) at the corner of (Wellington) Albert and the future extension of Preston street. I thought all this land still belongs to the NCC.

But then again, Wellington used to veer south from City Centre, making that parcel you mention to be on the north side of it....

on Ottawa's E-maps there are a whole bunch of parcels labelled 801 wellington, so it is somewhat confusing.

Aylmer
Apr 1, 2008, 9:58 PM
Harls, Is that you on that avatar clip?

eemy
Apr 1, 2008, 10:26 PM
Harls, Is that you on that avatar clip?

That's Dr. Gregory House, otherwise known as Hugh Laurie. Unless Hugh Laurie spends his free time in Ottawa-Gatineau taking pictures of skyscrapers and people drooling over their hotdogs, I doubt it's him. ;)

waterloowarrior
Apr 2, 2008, 2:08 AM
deez, do you know the status of the planning applications website for the city? (I recall earlier you said it was planned for a March 31 launch)

Mille Sabords
Apr 2, 2008, 12:29 PM
I think this is what some people want the Aqueduct in LeBreton Flats to be like. It will be interesting when we get to that phase between Booth and Preston

Yes, and the possible new canal inlet into Lansdowne Park to complement a refursished stadium. :D

harls
Apr 2, 2008, 1:26 PM
That's Dr. Gregory House, otherwise known as Hugh Laurie. Unless Hugh Laurie spends his free time in Ottawa-Gatineau taking pictures of skyscrapers and people drooling over their hotdogs, I doubt it's him. ;)

:D

clynnog
Apr 2, 2008, 2:32 PM
deez, do you know the status of the planning applications website for the city? (I recall earlier you said it was planned for a March 31 launch)

I'd be interested to know about that as well.

FYI...On April 1, planning application fees all increased so that an OPA is now $14,300 and a Zoning Amendment is $11,700 for most applications. A standard site plan application is now $15645 and a Draft Plan of Subdivision Application for more than 250 dwelling units is $51,400.

Surprisingly, when I went to a Client Service Centre on Monday to file an OPA and ZBLA the Counter Staff had no idea that the rates were going up.

Deez
Apr 2, 2008, 3:13 PM

I was wondering this myself. Unfortunately, I have no clue as to the status.

harls
Apr 2, 2008, 6:39 PM
I've been meaning to get up there and take a pic for the longest time (since it's so close to work), and never got around to it, until today.

Click for big.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/2383500260_4159877b83_b.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/2383500260_36a8cd09c8_o.jpg)

(let me know if the large version doesn't work, Flickr has some permission issues...)

waterloowarrior
Apr 2, 2008, 10:18 PM
^ doesn't work for me ("this page is private")

eemy
Apr 2, 2008, 10:45 PM
^ doesn't work for me ("this page is private")

Hmm, it was listed as public when I viewed it, but flickr does require me to login to view it, so maybe harls has it set for only friends to view?

harls
Apr 3, 2008, 12:32 AM
I think if you don't have a flickr account, you can't see it. I've changed it now to just link to the picture itself, and not the page.

Deez
Apr 3, 2008, 2:05 AM
Random utilitarian updates from today (my photos)

Rideau parking garage demo at grade
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/2383552591_d65de0989c_b.jpg
The Westin is adding a floor to its podium for a new ballroom
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/2384378224_dd893e65b6_b.jpg
fyi
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2383547727_20e95252ae_b.jpg

waterloowarrior
Apr 3, 2008, 2:40 AM
^lmao

I think if you don't have a flickr account, you can't see it. I've changed it now to just link to the picture itself, and not the page.

I do have a flickr account and the picture still didn't work for me, but oh well it works now.... very nice, I love the density in that shot

harls
Apr 3, 2008, 1:23 PM
fyi
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2383547727_20e95252ae_b.jpg

haha.. this guy's been busy:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2246/2175598843_6413b89642.jpg?v=0

waterloowarrior
Apr 9, 2008, 10:18 PM
132 Stanley approved (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=60d3ae62-fbf9-43b0-a38f-9be4e24e660c&k=46119)

14-6 vote in favour of allowing the townhomes

LACAC Report (http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-lacac/2008/02-28/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0029.htm)

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/132stanleyb.jpg

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 10, 2008, 3:07 AM
Thank God that intelligence and decency triumphed over NIMBYism.

Aylmer
Apr 10, 2008, 9:36 PM
Another epic battle won ye fair night!

harls
Apr 14, 2008, 4:35 PM
On Saturday I noticed that the site for the Continental has been fenced off and some heavy equipment is now on site.

waterloowarrior
Apr 15, 2008, 2:51 AM
some westboro stuff from the westboro community association http://lovewestboro.wordpress.com/ (they are against most developments)

On April 8th, at the City’s Planning and Environment Committee (PEC) an agent for two developers advised PEC members that Ashcroft Homes, the new owner of the Canadian Tire property on Richmond Road, would be seeking a height increase to permit a building of nine storeys. They intend to challenge the Community Design Plan recommendation for the sight which is four to six storeys. They are also the owners of 93 Richmond Road which was the subject of an Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) hearing in 2006. To see this decision go to the OMB site select E-Decisions and search on 3321. (http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/english/home.html) Last week there was a five-day OMB hearing on 747 Richmond Road at Cleary. The proposal for this site started out with two towers of 19 and 21 storeys and is now down to 12 and 15. The CDP recommendation was 6 storeys maximum. We will post the decision when it is received.On April 10 there was an OMB hearing on a proposed development at 300 Richmond Road at the corner of Eden. This used car lot is 98 feet wide by 68 feet deep. The owners applied to the Committee of Adjustment (CoA) to build a five storey building where basically a one-two storey building is permitted under the CDP. The City’s Committee of Adjustment had denied the application on the basis that it was not a ‘minor variance’ and should be treated as a re-zoning application. This was also the position of the WCA. Instead the developer chose to appeal to the OMB and, in the absence of support from the City, the WCA appeared as an intervenor at the hearing to defend the integrity of the CDP.

If approved by the OMB a building (http://lovewestboro.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/wca-rendering-300-rr.pdf) basically filling the lot from one side to the other of at least 52 feet in height will be built. It will be taller than the homes at the south end of Eden Ave. What we heard at the hearing is the proposed five storey building is the only thing that is economically viable.

Yet the two storey Pharmasave (http://lovewestboro.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/westboro-pharmasave-building.pdf) at the corner of Richmond and Berkley has been very successful. Also you can find an example of heritage infill (http://lovewestboro.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/wellington-heritage-infill.pdf) on Wellington Street that won an award from the City. It works and the frontage is about the same as 300 Richmond Road. As soon as we receive OMB’s decision, we will post it.

300 Richmond
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/300richmond.jpg

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 15, 2008, 3:55 AM
Isn't that right across from Fratelli?

clynnog
Apr 15, 2008, 11:33 AM
Isn't that right across from Fratelli?

Right across the road from Fratelli etc. The Westboro Community Association need to learn in which context the word should be spelt 'sight' and in which context 'site'. IIRC, the WCA are headed up by Gary Ludington, a fellow who ran for Council in the area and lost to Shawn Little and then the current Councillor.

Both he and the Community Association guy for the area near Carlingwood Mall are very active at C of A hearings.

Mille Sabords
Apr 15, 2008, 2:26 PM
some westboro stuff from the westboro community association http://lovewestboro.wordpress.com/ (they are against most developments)

300 Richmond
http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/300richmond.jpg

Unbelievable. That 5-storey building is as innocuous as it gets in terms of height. And it properly fills the lot in its entirety, making a contiguous street wall along Richmond with stores along the sidewalk, yadda yadda - everything we profess to want, hey! it's here.

Of course it's taller than all the houses on Eden... it's on the mainstreet! What do you expect, a bungalow? In fact, that whole block could stand to be at least 5 storeys. The proposed building is just setting the stage for the future.... hopefully the near future.

Actually, I sincerely hope Ashcroft blows up that Westboro CDP at the OMB. There have been too many problems with its legitimacy for it to stand much longer as the template for future ones. The city cannot build its future based on the selfish opinions of people who don't want to share their neighbourhood with others. CDP's cannot be an exercise in "how many storeys do you like and how many don't you like". What business is it, anyway, of people who live blocks away, to hold sway over the future of Mainstreets that belong to the entire city, not just their neighbourhood?

With a central location comes the advantage of proximity but the responsibility of accepting and integrating more intensification. It is the organic nature of city growth, which has been stunted by easy suburbia - and which Ottawa is trying to foster again now that there is a genuine market apetite for urban living.

Ah - what a good night's sleep that was! :cheers:

Kitchissippi
Apr 15, 2008, 2:54 PM
:previous: I'm not against that project but I think the design could be better. I hate the corner detail -- I think if that curved feature was scaled down to the second storey line and the Eden side was stepped back a bit, it would show more respect to the residential street:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2311/2416534648_dfc012b492_o.jpg

Mille Sabords
Apr 15, 2008, 4:13 PM
Good point, Kitchissippi, and good eye for the detail. (How did you do that? photoshop?)

Not my favourite building either architecturally but from an urban design standpoint it speaks the right language for this block.

Kitchissippi
Apr 15, 2008, 4:54 PM
Yeah, Photoshop. Love that clone stamp tool.

I wonder how they'll handle parking for this project. Doing a ramp for an underground garage is going to take a heck of room on that narrow lot, plus the cash-in-lieu for the commercial part is going to be hefty.

Mille Sabords
Apr 16, 2008, 1:47 AM
Yeah, Photoshop. Love that clone stamp tool.

I wonder how they'll handle parking for this project. Doing a ramp for an underground garage is going to take a heck of room on that narrow lot, plus the cash-in-lieu for the commercial part is going to be hefty.

As far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't be any cash-in-lieu of parking for small retail spaces on ground floors of buildings like this one on mainstreets. We'll get there some day.

waterloowarrior
Apr 16, 2008, 1:51 AM
As far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't be any cash-in-lieu of parking for small retail spaces on ground floors of buildings like this one on mainstreets. We'll get there some day.

that's the plan for the new comprehensive zoning bylaw
http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/bylaw/zoning/bylaw/full_bylaw/pt_04/min_prk_rate_en.html

TransitZilla
Apr 22, 2008, 5:21 PM
The city has finally posted some information on its website about the Rideau Street Urban Design Study (http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/public_consult/rideau/index_en.html).

I'm confused- according to the Terms of Reference, there should have been 2 public open houses by now, but there have been none. Are they skipping those, or are they just late?

I just hope the final recommendations include filling in the Colonel By underpass and converting it to a level crosswalk. That thing has gotta go.

p_xavier
Apr 22, 2008, 7:05 PM
The city has finally posted some information on its website about the Rideau Street Urban Design Study (http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/public_consult/rideau/index_en.html).

I'm confused- according to the Terms of Reference, there should have been 2 public open houses by now, but there have been none. Are they skipping those, or are they just late?

I just hope the final recommendations include filling in the Colonel By underpass and converting it to a level crosswalk. That thing has gotta go.

I think they nailed most of of the issues. Good thing.

waterloowarrior
Apr 24, 2008, 2:25 PM
Civic eyes new digs
Proposal sees hospital relocate to suburb in 2016
By DONNA CASEY (donna.casey@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA
http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeGlobalnav/invisible.gif
After almost 100 years on Carling Ave., the Ottawa Hospital's Civic campus could be moving to the south end suburbs.

Faced with aging buildings and no space to grow, administrators want to relocate the campus to a 60-acre site at the corner of Woodroffe Ave. and Hunt Club Rd.

In a presentation to the Champlain Local Health Integration Network yesterday, hospital brass outlined their proposal to close the existing Civic campus and start construction on the new site in 2016.

It's expected the relocation of the Civic and related construction to the General and Riverside campuses will cost almost $3.7 billion over a 20-year period.

BEST OPTION

The proposal is subject to approval by the hospital's board, the LHIN and the provincial Ministry of Health.
http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeGlobalnav/invisible.gif
Gino Picciano, chief operating officer of the hospital, said the option of moving the Civic to the Woodroffe location is the best of four proposals examined by hospital executives over the past 18 months.

"We think there's community support for this and we're not reopening the three-campuses issue," Picciano told the LHIN board.

Picciano said the hospital has had "very preliminary discussions" with the National Capital Commission, which owns the Woodroffe and Hunt Club lands, and there's been no discussion of what would happen to the existing
Civic property or buildings.

The site was one of 12 considered by the hospital, including Experimental Farm lands across the road from the Civic campus.

In January, hospital CEO Dr. Jack Kitts said the Experimental Farm location was ideal for the Civic relocation but Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, the federal department responsible for the farm, quashed the idea, saying the property was protected by historical designation.

In its consultations, staff also considered a one-campus model, where the Civic, Riverside and General would be merged into one; a two-campus model where the Civic beds and clinics would be merged with the General; and keeping the existing Civic location and redeveloping the site.

Picciano said renovating the existing Civic campus would be an expensive, logistical nightmare, involving 32 phases of construction over a 20-year period.

Picciano said the Woodroffe site fits in with the city's growth patterns, transit accessibility and plans for future expansion.

Dr. Robert Cushman, CEO of the Champlain LHIN, called the proposed site "potentially very interesting."

"It's only once in every 30 years that you get a chance to re-site a hospital, so re-siting it where the population growth is, where the public transit is good, where the needs are highest -- this is a real opportunity here."

However, Marie Fortier, board chair of the LHIN, said she was concerned about leaving the city's core without a community hospital.

CUTTING BEDS

Fortier said she's also worried about the relocation plan's proposed cut of 250 to 300 inpatient beds for services that don't fit into the Ottawa Hospital's specialities of neurosurgery, trauma, cardiac and other specialized care.

Picciano acknowledged that both the Queensway-Carleton and Montfort Hospitals don't have the space or resources to take those beds from the Ottawa Hospital.

"There's a lot more work that needs to be done, both on their part and ours," said Fortier.

"It would be very dangerous for us to say that we endorse it, we love it, it's great."

"We now need to make sure that we get this out to the community in the right time and the right way," she added.

The LHIN will look at the three Civic campuses over the next month and work out public consultations.

OTTAWA HOSPITAL MASTER PLAN

Total project cost: $3.7 billion.

Phase 1 of the proposed plan to move the Civic to Woodroffe Ave. and Hunt Club Rd.
- 2016-2020: total construction cost $1.9 billion
- 2015-2017: Maternal and newborn building, General campus, $143 million - 2015-2018: Clinic and research building, General campus, $375 million
- 2018-2020: Level 8 refit, General campus

Phase 2
- 2020-2022: Rehabilitation Centre, $230 million
- 2020-2023: Riverside campus, $352 million

Phase 3
- 2022-2025: ER, ICU and new tower at the General campus, $538 million - 2025-2027: Remaining renovations at the General campus, $160 millionhttp://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2008/04/24/pf-5370556.html

too bad they weren't allowed to just go across the street, where there's already a lot of development anyways

eemy
Apr 24, 2008, 2:38 PM
I wonder how that would affect ambulance response times. Also, couldn't they shift more services to the General site? There's plenty of room there. Just look at the situation in Toronto. They have Sick Kids, Toronto General, Princess Margaret, and Mount Sinai, all at the same spot, and still expanding. Surely there are options for the Civic.

BlackRedGold
Apr 24, 2008, 5:48 PM
Since when did Nepean become a south end suburb?

Outside of Barrhaven, Nepean has always been considered west end.

c_speed3108
Apr 24, 2008, 6:49 PM
I wonder how that would affect ambulance response times. Also, couldn't they shift more services to the General site? There's plenty of room there. Just look at the situation in Toronto. They have Sick Kids, Toronto General, Princess Margaret, and Mount Sinai, all at the same spot, and still expanding. Surely there are options for the Civic.

It sounds like they may shift some things. The proximity to transit (rail or not) would certainly be a good thing. This would certainly help Ambulance response times in the other wests areas of town.

I guess as they said - it fits the population shift within the city...a larger proportion of people living further out - particularly has the homes more in the city empty as kids move out (leaving less people per residence)

The only problem I have is that while there has been several expansions I really wonder at what point will the city require another hospital. This sounds mostly like just moving an old one around. Our population is growing.

Acajack
Apr 25, 2008, 4:38 PM
It sounds like they may shift some things. The proximity to transit (rail or not) would certainly be a good thing. This would certainly help Ambulance response times in the other wests areas of town.

I guess as they said - it fits the population shift within the city...a larger proportion of people living further out - particularly has the homes more in the city empty as kids move out (leaving less people per residence)

The only problem I have is that while there has been several expansions I really wonder at what point will the city require another hospital. This sounds mostly like just moving an old one around. Our population is growing.

I never could understand why there is no hospital in Orleans. Or at least why there are ZERO plans to build one.

Actually, the entire area of Eastern Ontario between the Montfort and Hawkesbury, some 90 km long with well over 200,000 people I'd say, has no hospital.

waterloowarrior
Apr 25, 2008, 4:43 PM
^ There is also Winchester, Alexandria, and Cornwall

Acajack
Apr 25, 2008, 4:58 PM
Yes, but I was referring to the area closer to the south shore of the Ottawa River: Beacon Hill, Blackburn Hamlet, Orleans, Navan, Cumberland, Rockland, Clarence, Wendover, Plantagenet, etc. It's actually not that easy to go north-south from Highway 17 near Rockland to the 417 area around Casselman, which you would need to do to get to the hospital in Alexandria.

Plus the area I described that hugs the river is much more populated than the area along the 417.

waterloowarrior
May 1, 2008, 8:29 PM

Kitchissippi
May 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
moved as well

waterloowarrior
May 10, 2008, 5:32 PM
see http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=150896

waterloowarrior
May 10, 2008, 5:39 PM
news on the development database - coming tuesday... this will be great!

Website to close info gap between Ottawa developers, residents

Last Updated: Friday, May 9, 2008 | 4:20 PM ET

CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html)

Ottawa residents looking for more information about a development planned for their neighbourhood will soon have access to a database of all development documents submitted to the city.

The database will contain site plans, traffic studies and environmental assessments that had been hard to obtain until now. They will be accessible through the City of Ottawa website starting Tuesday.

Coun. Peter Hume, who gave reporters a sneak preview of the site on Friday, said there has been an information gap between developers and neighbourhood residents who opposed specific developments.

"It leads to the feeling in the community that something conspiratorial is going on," he said. "You have information and I don't." But not everyone thinks making that information so easily available is a good thing.

Dean Karakasis, executive director of the Ottawa Business Owners and Managers Association, said he is concerned that the database could lead to a flood of criticism about a given development from people that the development doesn't directly affect.

"You'll have people that are coming out of left field," he said.

Hume said some staff within the city share those concerns, but it is important to make the information available.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/05/09/ot-website-080509.html

waterloowarrior
May 12, 2008, 12:25 AM
another article about the database.. hopefully we'll get lots of info on projects like 500 Preston or find some new projects that didn't go to planning committee
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=fba0ad05-fa01-4e3a-b102-5ed2fd353d7c

clynnog
May 12, 2008, 12:49 AM
another article about the database.. hopefully we'll get lots of info on projects like 500 Preston or find some new projects that didn't go to planning committee
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=fba0ad05-fa01-4e3a-b102-5ed2fd353d7c

Projects that don't go to Pl'g Committee only usually require a Site Plan application, cash in lieu of parking application etc. In those cases the local Councillor has to request that it be bumped up to Pl'g Committee. Site Plan Approval is in almost all cases a Pl'g Dep't delegated authority approval.

Now a certain councillor we all know and love does like having site plans getting bumped up to Pl'g Committee.

waterloowarrior
May 12, 2008, 12:57 AM
that's what I mean, it will be good to get easy access to information on the projects only requiring site plan approval etc that don't have to go to pec, because up to this point the info wasn't available online (unless like you said it gets bumped up by you-know-who)

m0nkyman
May 12, 2008, 2:25 PM
On guard for heritage (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/city/story.html?id=54ac7fb4-e389-47f3-86b1-7b0da123ae1f)
There are now 16 heritage conservation districts in Ottawa, but that designation does not prevent what one conservationist calls 'an awful lot of spot rezoning' by the city, as Linda Mondoux writes.

Linda Mondoux
The Ottawa Citizen

Monday, May 12, 2008

Luc Bédard, left, with Jeffrey Cucksey on Lorne Avenue near LeBreton Flats, said he feels lucky to have won a heritage-conservation district designation for his block.
CREDIT: Bruno Schlumberger, The Ottawa Citizen
Luc Bédard, left, with Jeffrey Cucksey on Lorne Avenue near LeBreton Flats, said he feels lucky to have won a heritage-conservation district designation for his block.

Second of two parts

Luc Bédard considers himself lucky. He lives on Lorne Avenue, near LeBreton Flats, where he and his neighbours won a heritage-conservation district designation for their one-block stretch of historical heaven. And they did it before a would-be developer had the chance to tear down a house and replace it with something newer and bigger than the modest, yet perfectly preserved, early 20th-century streetscape could endure.

"We are blessed," says Mr. Bédard. "Everyone was pushing all together for the designation. In the end, there was no opposition."

Today, a plaque announcing Ottawa's 16th heritage conservation district can be found on Lorne Avenue, where each spring the cherry trees on the front lawns erupt in a frenzy of blossoms, their tall, ancient branches reaching out in a neighbourhood group hug.

"For us, the designation means that what you buy and see is what you get and what you will look at in 50 years," says Mr. Bédard, who helped research and write the street's history, the first step on the road to designation. "We won't be drowned in a large apartment next door."

David Blaine also considers himself lucky. His home is near Bay and Somerset streets in Centretown, where history is all around.

He walks his old dog through old neighbourhoods, never knowing what he might uncover today.

"I love it here," he says. But as the president of the Centretown Citizens' Community Association, Mr. Blaine is also aware a heritage conservation district designation does not mean a seven-storey building won't begin to sprout in a former parking lot tomorrow.

"It seems there's an awful lot of spot rezoning happening, where planning staff approve and the community doesn't," he says.

"The developers meet with the planners beforehand and they seem to say, 'This is what you can get away with.' And then the developers come back and say, 'We're not taking anything else but this.' And the (community) associations seem to be put in the position that we're always saying no."

Mr. Blaine says there's nothing wrong with intensification when it meets the requirements of the official plan.

"But when the exception becomes the rule, of what value is the official plan or the heritage overlay?"

Jacques Legendre, the councillor for Rideau-Rockcliffe, agrees.

"Heritage staff seem to have an approach where they pick and choose which guidelines they'll stick to and which ones they won't," he says.

Mr. Legendre says the city council snafu surrounding Ashbury College's application to demolish two heritage buildings in the Rockcliffe Park Heritage Conservation District started with a staff assessment that suggested the buildings weren't historically significant.

Only when it was too late did information to the contrary, unearthed by residents, come to light, he says.

"We don't have a very strong heritage component of the planning department. They are often disregarded."

Like many others who care about history, Mr. Legendre doesn't think two heritage planners for a city the size of Ottawa is adequate.

However, changes could be coming.

"Out of the Ashbury decision, I did get the mayor to agree there would be an internal review of heritage resources in the planning department," he says. "I hope something will come out of that so that there is a more professional assessment of our heritage."

An evaluation of 456 Lansdowne Rd., where developer Kris Singhal wanted to tear down a historic house to build a larger home, said the building was in such bad shape it wasn't worth keeping. Despite that, council sided with residents and turned down the request for a demolition permit.

Since then, the developer has come up with a new plan that saves the house and builds an addition around the side and back.

Iola Price, a heritage activist whose passion is trees and who opposed the demolition plan, is keeping a close watch on the new one. It would be acceptable, she says, if the driveway were narrowed so that it wouldn't harm the feeder roots of the large trees on city property on either side.

According to Stuart Lazear, the city's co-ordinator of heritage planning, Ms. Price and other residents who speak up when they see historic buildings at risk are doing what more people who care about preservation ought to do.

"People tend to really rely a bit too much on heritage conservation districts as the police power to control everything that will happen there," Mr. Lazear says. "It (heritage designation) is a tool that requires vigilance, monitoring by the community."

Mr. Lazear sees boards of education unloading more surplus schools in the years ahead, with the No. 1 goal being to make money on the sale.

"The school board goes to a developer, then the developer lobbies council for a mega-building," he says.

"The pressure has to come from the community -- that's where the power base is. If they want the neighbourhood saved, they have to speak up, not just once, but throughout the process. A twin tower can go up overnight if they let their guard down."
© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

I'm big on conserving structure, but I'm not so big on the idea of freezing whole neighbourhoods in the past.

m0nkyman
May 12, 2008, 2:29 PM
May 12, 2008
Housing pays off in long run (http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2008/05/12/pf-5537286.html)
By KENNETH JACKSON

What if the city rounded up all of its homeless people and put them in affordable homes?

That's what the executive director of the Ottawa Mission would like to see happen.

Variations of the approach appear to be working in New York, Portland and in Western Canada, so why not here?, asks Diane Morrison.

"The hardest part is getting money to do it. The government really isn't thinking long-term. They pay for them to be in the shelter. If they took some of that money and supported people in their housing, it works," she says.

In Portland, Ore., a 10-year program was launched in December 2004 to get the homeless into homes.

By the end of the 2007, 1,286 chronically homeless individuals and 1,681 homeless families with children were housed, according to Portland's 2007 annual report on the project.

"You know what? It's working. It takes a small bit of money to start but in the long run their health is better, the police aren't called as often. They are just many positives that it pays itself back way more than what they put out," says Morrison of the Portland project.

NEED MORE UNITS

She says up to 40% of the Mission's homeless could be immediately housed if more affordable housing was available.

"Here you live in a room with seven other people and you probably tie your shoes on the end of the bed so people don't steal them," she said.

The remaining people have addictions and mental health problems that need to be addressed -- and they are being addressed through initiatives such as Hostels 2 Homes.

A coalition of Ottawa's developers and service providers are expected to ask the government to give tax breaks to property owners if they donate their buildings, says Gord Diamond, director of the Downtown Ottawa Coalition for a Safe Community.

The effort could create up to 300 residential units annually.

Interesting concept...

clynnog
May 12, 2008, 2:42 PM
that's what I mean, it will be good to get easy access to information on the projects only requiring site plan approval etc that don't have to go to pec, because up to this point the info wasn't available online (unless like you said it gets bumped up by you-know-who)

One issue that has been raised by the development community and the consulting industry working for landowners etc is related to copying information.

If you are a consultant and need to prepare a planning rationale report for a submission and you find a similar application and download that consultants planning rationale report (saved as a PDF) it can make your job a lot easier (especially if you find out that the planning rationale report was accepted).

My experience with the pl'g dep't is that they ask for a number of technical studies but rarely refute them or reject them. In many cases, the checklist planning mentality persists and the City Planners are ensuring that they have received all of the reports etc.

waterloowarrior
May 13, 2008, 3:13 PM
^ yeah, I can see how that might be a problem...
and who's really going to read the long studies anyways... just need to give a quick skim of the exec summary and give it a stamp of approval ;)
I was looking at one application that had a shadow study for a 7 storey building..... seven storeys!

Development Application Search is up..
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/home.jsf?lang=en

waterloowarrior
May 13, 2008, 5:29 PM
fyi Christine Leadman posts the CofA applications summary for panel 1 on her website... anyone know how to get the rest of them (and the decision) online?
http://www.kitchissippiward.com/en/Projects_in_the_Ward_51/Minor_Variances_218.html

a couple of things I noticed....
proposal at 804-824 Bronson (near 2nd)... tear down a bunch of existing buildings and build a 4 storey, 65 unit apartment building with underground parking

tamarack developments proposing a 6-storey mixed use building with ground floor retail space, 5 floors of apartment condominiums and 2 floors of underground parking at 1433 Wellington Street West (april 2 meeting, not sure what the result was)... that's at Wellington and Carleton, kitty corner to Domicile's 'The Piccadilly'. Wonder if it's another proposal with Urban Capital.

peteotown
May 13, 2008, 11:43 PM
From what I understand they are building a new ballroom for weddings and other functions. It will cost 3x to book it compared to the older ones but it's supposed to be pretty nice.

Has anyone heard any updates about the Westin Hotel conference room addition? My girlfriend and I are starting to think about possible places downtown to hold a wedding reception for fall 2009 and thought this may be nice.

AuxTown
May 14, 2008, 1:23 AM
Has anyone heard any updates about the Westin Hotel conference room addition? My girlfriend and I are starting to think about possible places downtown to hold a wedding reception for fall 2009 and thought this may be nice.

My fiance and I just booked our wedding for August '09. The Westin ballroom will be up and running by that point and it looks to be really nice. I think it is a bit more expensive than the other halls, but probably worth it. We booked at the Marriott on Sparks Street as we were concerned that the construction around the Congress Centre (attached to the Westin) would be kind of crappy.

harls
May 16, 2008, 1:23 PM
Is this across from the Piccadilly?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2496977770_ba0db035b4.jpg?v=0

courtesy dugspr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dugspr/2496977770/) on flickr

ps - I also heard from a friend that the Salvation Army in the market is going to be demolished... anyone hear about this?

Mille Sabords
May 16, 2008, 3:12 PM
ps - I also heard from a friend that the Salvation Army in the market is going to be demolished... anyone hear about this?

I can't see that as being a serious rumour, as much as I'm sure some people would dearly love the idea. Unless the SallyAnn has a replacement facility planned and ready to go, I just can't see them shutting their key downtown facility and returning all the homeless people they help out to the street with nowhere to go.

waterloowarrior
May 16, 2008, 4:40 PM
Is this across from the Piccadilly?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2496977770_ba0db035b4.jpg?v=0

courtesy dugspr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dugspr/2496977770/) on flickr

yep, this is a the Tamarack Project I was talking about a couple of posts back.. basically it's kitty-corner from the piccadilly

harls
May 16, 2008, 4:59 PM
yep, this is a the Tamarack Project I was talking about a couple of posts back.. basically it's kitty-corner from the piccadilly

Well look at that.. man I'm blind. :)

Jamaican-Phoenix
May 16, 2008, 6:04 PM

The Piccadilly is like, nine blocks from my new apartment... :haha:

AuxTown
May 19, 2008, 5:55 PM
Vacant building not suitable for food store
Dalhousie panel rejects Loeb site as too costly; search continues

Matthew Pearson, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Friday, May 09, 2008

It's back to the drawing board for the group spearheading a plan to open a grocery store in the west part of Centretown after deciding that a building on Booth Street is not suitable.

The Somerset West Community Health Centre has been working with several partners to bring a grocery store back to the Dalhousie neighbourhood following the November 2006 closing of the Loeb store at Booth and Eccles.

Although the vacant building seemed like a perfect fit, a site visit last month confirmed otherwise. "We were disappointed because, from our perspective, it was an ideal location," said Eugene Williams, a spokesman for the centre and member of the committee overseeing the project.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****The building is in the heart of the neighbourhood, but Mr. Williams said the committee felt strongly that too much work needed to be done to make the building operational.

He estimated the cost could exceed $1 million. The renovation cost was one of the reasons Loeb officials gave for closing their store.

"There's still tremendous interest in this project," Mr. Williams said. "I'm still taking phone calls from community members who want to be involved because they're disappointed there's no grocery store in this neighbourhood."

Aileen Leo, who lives in the Dalhousie neighbourhood, said the absence of a grocery store has created a "food desert" for residents. The nearest major grocery store is Hartman's Your Independent Grocer, about 1.5 kilometres to the east.

The committee is exploring other possible locations and applying to a federal agency for funding to develop a business plan. It also plans to host a community forum in the summer to get feedback from residents.

There are some potential leads, but Mr. Williams said it's premature to reveal specific locations. Ideally, he said, the new store would be located somewhere between Bank Street and the Hintonburg Bridge, south of the Ottawa River and north of the Queensway.

"We want to look at locations where seniors and families can actually walk to get their groceries," Mr. Williams said.

A feasibility study completed in January found there was considerable area support for the project. The study recommended a store between 5,000 and 7,500 square feet, selling a diverse mix of products, including organic and locally grown food.

Mr. Williams said the store would also offer staples such as milk, bread and fresh produce at a low price.

The neighbourhood is characterized by low incomes, high unemployment and underemployment. It has a large immigrant population and many residents live on fixed incomes.

For many people, walking is the easiest and most cost-effective way to get groceries. Taxis and buses are too expensive for some, so they are often left with little choice but to buy staples from convenience stores, where prices are higher and fresh produce is scant.

Well, it's definately good news that they are looking for a new spot to put a grocery store, but it's sad that there are so few options. I still think a new development at the old technical high school would be a great spot for a condo podium with a large grocery store....or even converting the portion of the (incredibly underused) high school building on the South side of Slater into a store. That whole area could really use a shot of life considering the number of people living in that 1-block radius and how little there is to do around there.

harls
May 22, 2008, 2:22 PM
http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=860091

CSEC, together with Defence Construction Canada (DCC), is planning the construction of a four-storey, 6000 m2 building on land acquired from the National Research Council on Ogilvie Road in Ottawa. The estimated building costs are $62M.

The new 6000 m2 building will be located on approximately 36 hectares of land and could hold up to 250 people. A design build request for proposal for the project will be tendered late in spring 2008, with an anticipated contract to be awarded in early summer 2008. CSEC plans to occupy the building in the summer of 2011.

c_speed3108
May 22, 2008, 3:33 PM

Interesting...right next door to CSIS...

harls
May 22, 2008, 3:56 PM
I wonder if they'll use the plans found in the garbage on Bank Street? :ack:

Acajack
May 22, 2008, 4:12 PM

"Up to 250 people" on "36 hectares of land"... Sounds like they won't exactly be the neighbourly type!

Cre47
May 23, 2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-rcac/2008/05-27/agendaindex10.htm

In the next Cycling Advisory Committee, there is a presentation on a (I guess proposed or rumoured) Canal footbridge linking the Glebe to Old Ottawa East. I guess this was discussed several months back as the U of O footbridge was built.

eemy
May 23, 2008, 2:28 PM
Hopefully the success of the Corktown bridge will help sway their decision.

AuxTown
May 23, 2008, 2:29 PM
:previous:
Great idea for another pedestrian bridge! The canal area is so heavily travelled by bikes and walkers that there is no reason another bridge can't be built. The Corkstown Bridge is a HUGE success.

New Home for Eavesdropping Agency
Josh Pringle
Friday, May 23, 2008

Canada's eavesdropping agency is moving to a new home on land acquired from the National Research Council in Ottawa.

The Communications Security Establishment is spending $62 million to build a four storey, six-thousand square-metre building to help the spy agency keep up with growth.

The agency is responsible for monitoring foreign intelligence and protecting government secrets.

The new building for 250 staff and banks of electronic monitoring and encryption devices will open in the summer of 2011.

Why do we publicly announce where and when our spy facilities are being built? So much for being secretive. :shrug:

clynnog
May 23, 2008, 2:49 PM

Design build is just another way to say 'design compromise'.

c_speed3108
May 23, 2008, 3:48 PM
Why do we publicly announce where and when our spy facilities are being built? So much for being secretive. :shrug:

The policy on that is that the agencies (and there locations) are not secret. The work they do and data they deal with is. That is where the distinction is made.

c_speed3108
May 23, 2008, 3:52 PM
"Up to 250 people" on "36 hectares of land"... Sounds like they won't exactly be the neighbourly type!

I guess after losing a lane of roadway to the us embassy, they have learned what easement is and why it is important to locate secure facilities where you can have lots.

Really I would love to see the city adapt a policy of greater easements all over the city. Many buildings have been allowed to be built far too close to the street. Back them up 5 feet or so. Then we can have wider sidewalks and the city would be more pedestrian friendly... ;)

eemy
May 23, 2008, 4:18 PM
I guess after losing a lane of roadway to the us embassy, they have learned what easement is and why it is important to locate secure facilities where you can have lots.

Really I would love to see the city adapt a policy of greater easements all over the city. Many buildings have been allowed to be built far too close to the street. Back them up 5 feet or so. Then we can have wider sidewalks and the city would be more pedestrian friendly... ;)

Until they decide that the extra ten feet is perfect for an additional lane of traffic...

m0nkyman
May 23, 2008, 4:18 PM
^ Not really. Go to every single area in the city that feels vibrant and alive, and you will find relatively narrow sidewalks and buildings built with zero setbacks. The Market, Bank St, Elgin St, Westboro... That is what is pedestrian friendly.

c_speed3108
May 23, 2008, 5:23 PM
^ Not really. Go to every single area in the city that feels vibrant and alive, and you will find relatively narrow sidewalks and buildings built with zero setbacks. The Market, Bank St, Elgin St, Westboro... That is what is pedestrian friendly.

I guess it is personal opinion...

I like the wider ones. My ideal would look like Laurier Av between Nicholas and Cumberland (going though U of O). There is more room for pedestrians plus the pedestrians don't have to walk as close to the traffic.

My least fav side walk is the north side of the Mac King Bridge walking down towards waller. There is no room to pass and you have buses literally inches away. No room to walk even in twos and still let someone by the other way.

I also prefer creating density by height rather than density by filling every square inch of ground space....again personal preferences...

m0nkyman
May 23, 2008, 9:48 PM
Your ideal (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=45.423731~-75.68659&style=h&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&where1=Transitway%20and%20Laurier%20Ave%20E%2C%20Ottawa%2C%20ON&encType=1)is wide sidewalks on each side of a busy four lane road running through a university where it intersects with the Transitway. With no parking. Okay then. I think we're at an impasse here.

c_speed3108
May 24, 2008, 12:47 AM
Your ideal (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=45.423731~-75.68659&style=h&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&where1=Transitway%20and%20Laurier%20Ave%20E%2C%20Ottawa%2C%20ON&encType=1)is wide sidewalks on each side of a busy four lane road running through a university where it intersects with the Transitway. With no parking. Okay then. I think we're at an impasse here.

Don't get me wrong such a busy street running through the middle of the University is far from ideal. I was more referring to the sidewalks and how the buildings are positioned in relations to it. They are set in a bit so you can look up at them and enjoy the architecture on the way by. You can see the full height of them clearly.

But I do agree that Laurier can be busy at certain times. I practically made a career out of j-walking that crosswalk during my undergrad years there.

The other times it is fairly quiet. There is parking on both sides just not a rush hour. Granted I am not a fan of street parking to be honest...parking is ugly period. Put it under ground where I don't have to look at it :P

I just like nice wide walkways where you have space to move and pass others and the ability to observe and look at things on the way by.

I also walk very quickly so I need my room to pass ;)

m0nkyman
May 24, 2008, 8:24 AM
Oh, I agree. Wide sidewalks are great for areas you want to get through quickly. They just aren't conducive to a great urban experience. They're the pedestrian equivalent to freeways...

Kitchissippi
May 24, 2008, 11:55 AM
One thing I noticed when I went to Victoria is how much wider their sidewalks are. Two couples strolling side by side can pass each other comfortably, and on some streets, the sidewalk space equalled or exceeded the road width. I find it annoying when I'm walking and talking with someone that the conversation is often interrupted just by having to navigate through obstacles in narrow sidewalks or letting someone pass. In major pedestrian districts, four people should be able to walk abreast easily, meaning a good 8 to 10 feet clear of all lamp posts, parking meters, benches, garbage cans, etc.

c_speed3108
May 24, 2008, 4:32 PM
I am going to have to disagree. I think width creates a much better urban experience. Narrow sidewalks sorta say "no one will really want to walk here so we won't bother with much of sidewalk...just the minimum". On the flip side the wide ones say "hundreds of people will be walking here and hence will require lots of space"

The new city of Ottawa standard is wide enough for two wheelchairs to pass. This is I think is a reasonable size.

As for "urban experience" lets think of the avenues in Manhattan with their lovely wide sidewalks lined with stores, skyscrapers, and tons of people! :rolleyes:

ajldub
May 25, 2008, 1:27 AM
Here here to wide sidewalks. Laid with cut stone, too...

AuxTown
May 26, 2008, 2:52 AM
Some interesting descriptions of Ottawa's downtown condo developments from the Citizen a couple days ago.

Committed downtowners have plenty of condo choices

James Careless
The Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, May 22, 2008

If you're a committed downtown dweller, then you need a downtown condo to call your own. Fortunately, there are some great ones to choose from.

Just a handful of suites remain at Ashcroft Homes' OPUS, at the corner of O'Connor and McLeod. Styled for elegant living, OPUS is a single tower containing 70 exclusive condo suites; you'll find it just across from the Museum of Nature. To match the tone of the Museum's Victorian architecture and the overall heritage of this neighbourhood, OPUS has been built using limestone, granite, and red brick. OPUS' condos are available in everything from one and two bedrooms right up to two-storey penthouses. Inside, you will find granite counters, 6 stainless steel appliances, high ceilings, hardwood floors, and subtle valence lighting. Find out more by visiting The Opus' sales centre and models at 330 Gilmour Street, or log onto www.opusbyashcroft.com.

Charlesfort Developments' Hudson Park and Hudson Park II towers are located at the corner of Kent and Lisgar. Both are Art Deco-influenced paradises with large windows, rooftop terraces, and proximity to the very heart of downtown. Among their top-end features are granite countertops in the kitchen and bathroom(s), six appliances in stainless steel or black (exception: washer/dryer in white), natural maple or oak hardwood flooring, and 9' ceilings. Learn more at www.charlesfort.ca.

Claridge Homes' LeBreton Flats complex is bringing life back to this historic downtown address. The first 13-storey tower has 122 units, and will be completed this fall; more are planned with sales for the second 13-storey tower now under way. LeBreton Flats is an entirely new neighbourhood that is close to everything that is great about Ottawa's downtown core. Besides offering wonderful views and access to wide open spaces, the complex is being built using the latest 'green' technologies. Find out more at www.claridgehomes.com.

At the corner of Laurier and Lyon, Claridge Homes' Pinnacle tower is home to 105 condos with spectacular views. The features of this 23-storey luxury highrise include a stunning modern lobby equipped with intercom access and closed-circuit security system, plus elegant one and two bedroom suites that all have private balconies or terraces. Finishes include imported ceramic tiles in kitchen and bathrooms, hardwood flooring in living and dining room halls, and plush 40 oz. broadloom with quality under padding in all bedrooms and hallways. More details at www.claridgehomes.com.

Phoenix Homes' Lotus Court is a 22 unit condo low-rise at the corner of Somerset and Rochester. With suites from 621 to 1,282 sq. ft. in spacious one and two bedroom layouts, Lotus Court features a beautifully landscaped courtyard, secure underground parking, and internal access to personal service facilities such as a hair salon and dentist. It is just minutes from downtown in Ottawa's Chinatown district; learn more at www.phoenixhomes.ca.

Urban Capital's 250-suite Mondrian at Bank Street and Laurier Avenue West is a 24-storey homage to Dutch Neo-Plasticist painter Piet Mondrian. This is why the Mondrian's steel and glass frame features thin vertical lines and bold red panels that are stylistically reflective of Mondrian's visual style. Inside, the Mondrian's design features floor-to-ceiling windows, 9' ceilings, hardwood floors, airy interiors, plus executive concierge service in a hotel-style lobby. Learn more www.mondriancondominiums.ca.

"At the corner of Laurier and Lyon, Claridge Homes' Pinnacle tower is home to 105 condos with spectacular views."

I think the Pinnacle is what really jaded me when it comes to Claridge. I'm sure the units are nice inside, but I just can't get over that massive blank wall on the West side of the tower. Are they planning on building a second tower? Who owns the land directly beside it? Anyone have any insight?