PDA

View Full Version : London Tap House

Pages : [1] 2 3

SteelTown
Oct 30, 2007, 4:31 AM
A big massive new restaurant called London Taps is currently under constrction at downtown Hamilton @ John/Main St. The company is opening a five-floor entertainment, dance club, lounge and restaurant complex, featuring a 240 seat roof-top patio.

http://www.londontaphouse.com/hamilton/img/bottom-lthHam.gif
Suppose to open late fall 2007.

From raisethehammer
http://www.raisethehammer.org/images/corner_of_main_and_john.jpg

Very exciting stuff! I would like to have a meet and greet with SSP folks once the restaurant opens.

SteelTown
Oct 30, 2007, 4:33 AM
Opps it's London Tap House not London Taps.

Jon Dalton
Oct 30, 2007, 3:40 PM
5 floors! I can't wait to see it. Nice to see someone downtown making use of more than one.

the dude
Nov 1, 2007, 12:44 AM
a photo update from today:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/IMG_0309.jpg

SteelTown
Nov 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
Amazing the building to the right already looks better. This place is gonna be crazy on opening day.

raisethehammer
Nov 1, 2007, 2:18 AM
found out in today's Spec that the building to the right is separate and will house different businesses.

SteelTown
Nov 1, 2007, 3:37 AM
Building it back up
This block is key to renewal. It’s a focal point of the downtown, housing the grand Connaught. But like the Connaught, it’s mostly hollow today. Slowly, quietly, businesspeople are trying to pull it back together, believing vibrancy can be restored.

PAUL WILSON
Hamilton Spectator

Let’s take a walk around the block.

It’s an old one, bounded by King, John, Main and Catharine.

For nearly a century, this block has been dominated by one hulking feature — the Royal Connaught Hotel, with marble-pillared lobby, spectacular ballroom, cocktails on the rooftop garden.

And at street level, the Connaught housed many shops. If we strolled that stretch of King 60 years ago we would have passed Raphael-Mack Ladies Wear, Dack’s Shoes, R.B. McLelland’s menswear, Liggett Drugs, Powell Photo.

Immediately east, on what is now the Connaught parking lot, was a building called the Secord Block. Down at street level were Bert Rymal Appliances, Robertson and Turner Jewelers, The Travel Shop, Empire Shoe Rebuilders, Courtland Steam Baths.

Upstairs were all manner of enterprises, including the Studio of Popular Music. Chris Lovett taught there. Paul Daniels taught people how to sing. J.R. McLachlan, dentist, gave them a winning smile.

If we walked along John, the western edge of this block, we would have passed the Connaught’s coffee shop, then Nick Corrado’s tailor shop, Miss Emma Schuler’s hat shop, Sekeshon’s Fashion Salon. Over these stores, on floors two, three and four, was Connaught Bowling & Billiards, with 26 alleys, five tables and a lunch bar.

Next door, the Merchants’ Store Fixtures building. And at the corner of John and Main, the Bright Spot restaurant, a printing company above it.

Just east on Main, operations on the block included Livingstone Stoker Sales, Connaught Motor Sales, Lennox Service Station.

In short, it was a bustling block with a long list of businesses.

And how many enterprises operate on that block today? Precisely one.

“Call me crazy, but I love downtown,” says Murline Mallette. She and husband Gene have been running Liaison College of Culinary Arts at 27 John South for 10 years.

The location is handy for students, and the Farmers’ Market is handy for fresh ingredients. Mallette says they’re staying downtown. She believes the cancer around her is about to be cured.

So does her landlord, Glen Swire. “Call me crazy too,” he says. Swire is part of the family that first brought Colonel Sanders and his secret herbs and spices to town in the early 1960s.

Sometimes the colonel even slept at their house.

The Swires had Kentucky Fried Chicken outlets all over the city. Thirty years ago they decided they needed one downtown, and Swire put up the building on John South and opened a 92-seater in 1978.

At that time, the post office was right across the street. Everybody went there in those days, and hundreds worked there. That KFC closed in 1996 — downtown was deteriorating, the post office moved to Stoney Creek and McDonald’s and Wendy’s left their locations across from Gore Park.

Swire, 57, values Liaison as a tenant and has no plans to sell. “I’ve got another 20 years to hang on,” he says, but predicts downtown will be a better place inside of 10 years.

He’s heartened by what’s happening one door south, at John and Main.

Whistler-based Gibbons Hospitality Group has bought a 157-year-old stone building for $500,000 and is spending $2 million to turn it into a 900-seat club, complete with what could be downtown’s only rooftop patio. The London Tap House opens soon.

Matt Gibbons looked on the Mountain. “But it’s more of a strip-mall feel up there. The history’s down here.”

One door east on Main, the BFT Group (Building for Tomorrow) is putting the finishing touches on a $200,000 renovation of what long ago was the site of the Lake & Bailey flour mill.

Brent Coleman of BFT — a young local group — says it’s their first venture downtown. The building, purchased last year, has café, office, loft potential.

They’ve moved stairways, installed heavy structural beams, struggled to get permits.

Coleman is sure it’ll be worth it. “I think this block is key. Five years from now, it’ll look significantly better than it does today.”

One door north of Liaison College is the four-storey building that once housed that bowling alley and billiards.

It’s in bad shape and has been mostly empty for years. There was the seedy Crazy Horse Saloon, whose rough patrons caused Liaison many headaches.

The saloon’s recent death is good news.

Now the building — bowling lanes long gone — is for sale. Mississauga realtor Anastasia Tolias has the listing.

She doesn’t know much about Hamilton, but “I don’t like what I see in the downtown core … Everybody needs to come together and kick it up a couple of notches.”

She has the property listed at $800,000, ambitious indeed. The building’s owned by a numbered company.

Ted Mammas of Mississauga, one of the principals, says they simply bought it as an investment. They’re not interested in developing the building, just selling it.

So that’s four properties on the block. The fifth, last not least, the great beast, Lady Connaught. After she slipped into receivership in 2004, five local businessmen bought her for $4.5 million — Tony Battaglia, a founder of Hamilton airport’s TradePort; Plaza Hotel owner Oscar Kichi; Ted Valeri of T. Valeri Construction; Labourers’ International Union vice-president Joe Mancinelli; and Mario Frankovich, president of Burgeonvest Securities.

They said they would make the Connaught royal again. They thought it would be done by now, but the job of rebuilding has not yet begun. They can’t find the financing.

The plan morphed into a mammoth project that would see the Connaught buy the other four properties on the block, knocking them down and putting up two 18-storey condo towers behind the renovated hotel.

According to Battaglia, lead hand for the Connaught ownership group, two of the four parties were “totally unreasonable” in what they wanted. So that plan died this summer.

The current plan is to do the Connaught with offices on floors two, three and four and put guest rooms on the other eight.

“The cost of renovating is more expensive than a brand-new building,” Battaglia says, “and the final appraisal shows a value that’s lower than the cost. Lenders just can’t wrap their heads around that.”

So the search for money goes on.

Battaglia says the ownership team may have to ante up more money. And they may now have to go to second-chance lenders, who charge higher interest.

Battaglia says there’s been no surrender.

“I’m disappointed, but not defeated. I still think this is a great project.”

raisethehammer
Nov 3, 2007, 7:40 PM
no way London Taps opens in 2007. Walked by yesterday and got a good look inside...bare walls and studs everywhere...upper floors too.
coming along nicely though. Should be a beauty.

DC83
Nov 5, 2007, 3:29 AM
I thought they were keeping the walls bare, as exposed brick?

Ya, this is by far my #1 favourite project in the city right now. It's going to be GREAT... as for the rooftop patio, well I'm prolly gonna wait til Late spring/early summer to venture up there! hahaha

Snashcan
Nov 5, 2007, 3:31 AM
The same owners have a London Tap house here in London, very nice bar here...hopefully works in Hamilton, but the crowd is a bit different in the two cities. Pretty much only students here in London, not so much in hamilton.

SteelTown
Nov 5, 2007, 3:48 AM
Here's a commercial from London Tap House, you get the idea of what the place will be like in Hamilton

http://www.video.ca/video.php?id=89683600

Should be a fun place.

raisethehammer
Nov 5, 2007, 1:42 PM
According to the website, Hamilton's will have a lot more including a full time restaurant, lounge etc....
it seems that London's is only nightclub.
Hamilton is loaded with students too, so they'll be packing into this place I'm sure.

matt602
Nov 5, 2007, 7:24 PM
Hamilton definitely has the student numbers to tap into. The Mac students regularly come downtown at night.

raisethehammer
Nov 5, 2007, 7:26 PM
a ton of students live downtown...try catching a college or west end bus headed for downtown at the end of the evening...packed.

DC83
Nov 5, 2007, 8:02 PM
a ton of students live downtown...try catching a college or west end bus headed for downtown at the end of the evening...packed.

Tell me about it!! Ugh!
I went to Westown (on Locke) for breakfast Sun AM, had to way 40 mins b/c the place was PACKED with Students!!! They had 4 tables and 2 booths!!
Anyone who's been there knows that's like 1/2 the seating in that joint!! haha

Mmmm... westown...

beanmedic
Nov 7, 2007, 9:33 PM
check it out

http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=5685543133&view=all

the dude
Nov 7, 2007, 11:03 PM
^that was a great photo tour. here are a couple i pulled from facebook [thanks, scott rowe]:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/londontaphouse2.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/londontaphouse.jpg
looks awesome.

SteelTown
Nov 7, 2007, 11:44 PM
Loving the interior design! That hallway is supposed to be the main hallway, what a great way to enter. So excited for this place to open, one thing for sure is that opening night is gonna be b-a-n-a-n-a-s.

matt602
Nov 8, 2007, 12:04 AM
yah I'm quite excited as well, but mostly to see what kind of development it's going to spur in the area. I bet the empty lot across Main won't be empty for too much longer. Whoever owns it is gonna jump to develop it (and hurry up the brownfield remediation they've been doing forever).

raisethehammer
Nov 8, 2007, 3:16 AM
why the plywood blocking some of the view on the rooftop patio??
yea, I looked through that tour - amazing! this place will rock.
Sadly, don't expect much on the surrounding lands for 2 reasons:
1. Main Street
2. LIUNA

matt602
Nov 8, 2007, 5:34 AM
I think the first obstacle can be overcome if the success of London Taps is enough. All a business needs is people in the area to represent a possible consumer base.

Sure is hard to believe anything is ever gonna happen to the Connaught now. The front lobby windows and doors have all been tagged up and somebody broke into the offices and did what looks like the old "smash n grab". Broken walls and glass everywhere.

SteelTown
Nov 8, 2007, 12:15 PM
Cities can get fixed block by block and I'm sure London Tap House will do the trick. One project in a block usually always gets the ball rolling to get others in the area to renovate or update. Examples as International Village, Hess Village, James St N, Locke Street and soon with Lister Block.

raisethehammer
Nov 8, 2007, 12:19 PM
true enough...John South has already been turning the corner since going 2-way. This will be a HUGE boost. Now if the city can purchase Treble Hall and redevelop it, John will become a great environment for more business and residents.
I'm sure all the students moving into the 5-storey building at King and John will love the Taphouse.

by the way, there is a 'name the building' contest going on for that city building.
www.downtownhamilton.org

matt602
Nov 8, 2007, 9:45 PM
Students? I thought the 5 story building was an affordable housing project... ie. welfare housing.

I submitted my name for the building as well. "Capitol Place". It of course pays homage to the theatre that used to join up to the property.

SteelTown
Nov 8, 2007, 10:16 PM
No, the units will be marketed towards students.

raisethehammer
Nov 9, 2007, 3:10 AM
4 more floors of university students living at the Gore is a GREAT thing.

raisethehammer
Nov 13, 2007, 2:33 PM
hmmm, I'm sad to report that they are now stuccoing the exterior of the London Tap's building.
I've always loved the look of the old stone.

SteelTown
Nov 13, 2007, 2:37 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo! Leave the beautiful stone work alone!!

Such a crime, don't stucco it.

DC83
Nov 13, 2007, 2:52 PM
is the entire bldg being stuccoed? Or just the adjacent one??
Maybe it's just certain spots???
I'll have to take a wlak a later later today

flar
Nov 13, 2007, 3:14 PM
Another building attacked by stucco! People just love stucco. Strangely enough, I noticed stucco on most houses out in Winnipeg. It must be very durable in a variable climate.

DC83
Nov 13, 2007, 3:29 PM
Stucco is good for Sheds... not houses. Or historic bldgs! Ugh.
What's historic about stucco??

raisethehammer
Nov 13, 2007, 3:54 PM
I think it looks brutal here in wintertime. So cold and unwelcoming.
I realize California and Mexico have great stucco architecture, but they don't get months of freezing and snow.

the dude
Nov 13, 2007, 4:25 PM
stucco is like a virus in this town. we need to cleanse ourselves of it.

flar
Nov 13, 2007, 10:27 PM
I drove by today, it won't be stucco, just the building next to it by the looks of things.

SteelTown
Nov 13, 2007, 10:37 PM
I don't mind those other two buildings being stucco, it was brown brick and we have plenty of that in Hamilton. Just that it would be a crime if they put stucco on the stone building.

raisethehammer
Nov 14, 2007, 3:00 PM
yup, good news.
I walked up to the site today and examined it through the scaffolding. The stucco has been put on a small eastern section of the building. You can see the edge design in the stucco which tells me they won't expand it west across the nice stone facade.
It would have been strange to spend all that time and money uncovering the beautiful brick and stone inside only to cover it up outside.

the dude
Nov 14, 2007, 9:35 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/IMG_0405.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/IMG_0406.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/IMG_0407.jpg

DC83
Nov 14, 2007, 10:24 PM
Sweet! So stucco on the ugly bldg only. phewph.

So what's going on w/ the roof? Are they adding another floor with the patio ontop of IT... or is this rooftop patio going to have really tall walls?

raisethehammer
Nov 14, 2007, 10:46 PM
the guys who own this building next door to London Taps should do lofts on the upper floors....even though Main St sucks, it's close to Gore and buses, Hess, James etc....would be great in such a cool building.

beanmedic
Nov 27, 2007, 7:31 PM
Nov 26

Thank you for your e-mail! We hope to have the renovation done by January 1st, and are working very hard to accomplish this.

We will be sending out information when we are certain of an opening date – we will most definitely keep you informed.

Regards,

Scott Rowe
General Manager
The London Tap House

the dude
Dec 3, 2007, 9:59 PM
taken today:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/IMG_0536.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/IMG_0537.jpg

matt602
Dec 3, 2007, 10:27 PM
Ugh that Budweiser ad needs to go. Now.

raisethehammer
Dec 4, 2007, 12:19 AM
Dude..you took a long, snowy walk today eh??

I love this project, but man those fake windows on the stucco really should go. gross.

Can't wait for this to open...gonna rock.

the dude
Dec 4, 2007, 2:13 AM
ya, i guess they were going for a uniform look. don't know if it's necessary. i really hope the clean up the stone; it's looking a little dirty.

DC83
Dec 4, 2007, 12:17 PM
Awesome... that rooftop patio sure looks like a great place to be this time of year ;) haha jks

Ya, I like how they matched the stonework along the side... but those windows up-top are terrible. Maybe if they had some coloured lights behind some tinted glass or something. That's make it stand out at least.

matt602
Dec 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
It looks as if the part where the steel beams are is seperate from the fake windowed part (I think it's just like that because the stairs come up there). I would be willing to bet they'll implement something like what you suggested, DC, so people can get the view while they eat.

DC83
Dec 5, 2007, 12:43 PM
So all the scaffolding is down as of 6:15am this morning when I was waiting for my bus at main/john.
I guess they wont be cleaning the stone?

raisethehammer
Dec 6, 2007, 9:53 PM
they need to install lights on the exterior...some dramatic colour or something. really make this a landmark.

the dude
Dec 31, 2007, 4:11 PM
heard recently that the company doing the reno had been fired. too slow...work too shabby. it'll be an even longer wait for its completion i guess.

raisethehammer
Dec 31, 2007, 4:20 PM
oh brother....tell them to use their own company. don't rely on Hamilton companies when it comes to renovating a historic building.

DC83
Dec 31, 2007, 4:21 PM
heard recently that the company doing the reno had been fired. too slow...work too shabby. it'll be an even longer wait for its completion i guess.

Wow that sux!! haha I see a cpl workers outside every now-and-then. But doesn't ever seem to be anything going on.

I've noticed the interior of the building on the east side of the structure (along main) is done. But not the actual tap house itself.

matt602
Dec 31, 2007, 7:47 PM
oh brother....tell them to use their own company. don't rely on Hamilton companies when it comes to renovating a historic building.

I think the company was actually from Toronto, or somewhere in the GTA.

raisethehammer
Dec 31, 2007, 10:01 PM
I wonder who? I can't find any info on the project. hopefully not from mississuaga or brampton! that'd be even worse!!

the dude
Jan 1, 2008, 5:26 PM
^"advancya"

SteelTown
Jan 1, 2008, 8:56 PM
^ A London company.

SteelTown
Feb 5, 2008, 12:23 PM
Item 2 in the What's-Holding-Them-Up department is The London Tap House.

StreetBeat reported last summer that a Whistler-based outfit was turning a 160-year-old stone building at Main and John into a restaurant and bar, with room for 900 on five levels. It was a $2 million project, to be finished in October.

Walk past that corner today, and you'll see nothing but boarded-up windows. Some figure the project is dead and buried.

Far from it, says Scott Rowe. He was in charge of opening the 666-seat London Tap House in London, Ont., in 2006 and now has the same job here.

He says work was slowed by construction of a rooftop patio, with 220 seats, glass walls, bar and washrooms. The whole roof had to come off, and new steel beams had to be fabricated.

That's complete now, and inside the finishing work is now under way. There are new custom windows behind that plywood. The bar is in, the kitchen is laid out, and 5,000 square feet of hardwood flooring arrives this week.

The job of hiring 75 staff will begin soon, and the London Tap House hopes to be open late next month. That rooftop patio could be a spectacular place to catch the first rays of spring.

DC83
Feb 5, 2008, 12:50 PM
^^ I actually noticed more work being done on this place in the last week than all of January!

I was walking up John on Sunday, playing w/ my iPod, not paying attention to anything... then all of a sudden this guy stops me right infront of the Tap House. He's like, "Whoa... u gotta watch out buddy!" Then all of a sudden, someone on the roof starts shovelling snow off of it onto the sidewalk! Good thing that guy stopped me! hahaha

So it's clear they've started work again, and I'm very happy to hear about the interior. I seriously can't wait til it opens, and IMO I think a Spring opening is better than 'late fall' especially with a rooftop patio!!

matt602
Feb 5, 2008, 7:55 PM
Should be pretty awesome. I peaked in while they had a door open and yes they have definitely retained the vintage look. The original brick walls haven't been covered.

matt602
Mar 22, 2008, 2:32 AM
Nearly done. Some pretty hardcore security for the windows on the corner...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/sugarton/Downtown%20Hamilton/londontaps.jpg

raisethehammer
Mar 22, 2008, 2:36 AM
if I'm not mistaken, I think those are sliding doors that will allow a patio-type vibe on the inside. you might be right though...they might just be covering them until it's done.
I went by today and thought they were going to be windows that open to the street...I hope so anyhow.
I love the big wood doors too.

FRM
Mar 23, 2008, 10:59 PM
will the entire building be covered in stucco or just that top part? and the rest with other material? That would look a little odd to me.

Either way I can't wait til this one opens up.

matt602
Mar 23, 2008, 11:04 PM
I'm pretty sure they're done with the stucco. They should be keeping the original stone on the lower parts. The building isn't gonna change much from it's current state, they're just working on windows and doors now and I suppose they might sandblast the stone a bit more or something.

raisethehammer
Mar 24, 2008, 1:04 AM
lookin good on the inside. I could see in tonight with the interior lights on. second floor looks to be almost done on the interior. this will be the newest hotspot come summertime....rooftop patio, here I come!!

raisethehammer
Mar 27, 2008, 2:39 PM
London Taps is putting up their signs this morning. Looks great!

DC83
Mar 27, 2008, 4:11 PM
^^ Oh, when I cuaght my bus @ 7:25am, the 'London Tap House' letters were all up. Does look great! The building needs a good wash tho!

raisethehammer
Mar 27, 2008, 4:36 PM
looks like they have a sign facing Main and another one facing John.
I can't wait for this place to open. Just imagine if Stinson does a 50+ storey tower next door, you'll be able to sit on the rooftop patio and stare straight up at Hamilton's tallest scraper.

thistleclub
Mar 27, 2008, 5:22 PM
^^ Oh, when I cuaght my bus @ 7:25am, the 'London Tap House' letters were all up. Does look great! The building needs a good wash tho!

The south-facing letters seem a little wonky, but maybe that's what they're going for. And for whatever it's worth, they've been powerwashing that building for weeks.

DC83
Mar 27, 2008, 5:35 PM
The south-facing letters seem a little wonky, but maybe that's what they're going for. And for whatever it's worth, they've been powerwashing that building for weeks.

really?? haha Yikes. I can still see the old paint-on ads that used to be on the side of the bldg. Whatever. Still looking better than it did when it was empty!

raisethehammer
Mar 27, 2008, 7:50 PM
the signs look fine to me.
they are painting the window frames or sanding them...can't quite tell what they're doing.

also, off topic, but I noticed the honest lawyer looks like it's going to light up the night soon based on the incredible number of light fixtures they've just put up over their sign.

matt602
Mar 27, 2008, 8:10 PM
They're painting the window frames, they were doing it yesterday as well. Looks nice. Makes them look a bit older.

thistleclub
Mar 27, 2008, 8:38 PM
really?? haha Yikes. I can still see the old paint-on ads that used to be on the side of the bldg. Whatever. Still looking better than it did when it was empty!

I liked that – a ghost of a ghost sign, tough to make out but it lends an extra air of authenticity. And when I say "wonky" I guess I'm referring to how the letters read from oblique angle, specifically Bowen Street. When I stopped to have a look, it seemed like not all of them were on the same parallel plane.

raisethehammer
Mar 27, 2008, 9:42 PM
yea, the windows do look older. along with the wooden doors, this place is gonna be awesome!
I sure hope those metal sliding walls are for opening up to the street (although I'd be interested to see what it's like to sit inside that Main st sliding window - you'd be yelling your conversation the whole time).

drpgq
Mar 28, 2008, 1:35 AM
Anyone know what is up with that Gallagher's place on John? There's a zoning sign plastered on the front door now.

coalminecanary
Mar 28, 2008, 1:42 AM
had a problem with their liquor license application, so that's been part of the delay. also they bought the building next door and are delayed due to higher costs of putting a kitchen in there. perhaps the zoning application is in relation to that...

JT Jacobs
Mar 28, 2008, 2:16 AM
yea, the windows do look older. along with the wooden doors, this place is gonna be awesome!
I sure hope those metal sliding walls are for opening up to the street (although I'd be interested to see what it's like to sit inside that Main st sliding window - you'd be yelling your conversation the whole time).

Way, way back in the year of 1997AD, I used to bartend at Sundried Tomatoes, and we used to have the door open to the patio. It was a bit loud from Main ST, but not so bad. I'm glad the Tap House has this sliding glass door thingie--it'll be terrific.

Would any adventurous Digital Canon Rebel/Nikon/Kodak Instamatic owner be willing to post a photo or two of the Tap House for the poor out-of-towners now that the LTH is sporting signs, huh pleasepleaseplease?

raisethehammer
Mar 28, 2008, 2:54 AM
yea, I remember sundried tomatoes and that sliding wall....it faced John St though right??
London Taps has a couple facing John and one FACING main! yikes. let's hope parking is allowed on the street there or you might end up eating a side of steel coil with your salad.

matt602
Mar 28, 2008, 2:59 AM
About 3 or 4 years ago I remember passing Sundried Tomatoes and noticing that a Mustang had slammed into the corner of the building. A couple weeks later the place went out of business and closed (possibly related, possibly not). The car didn't do much damage to the building, but still...

raisethehammer
Mar 28, 2008, 3:10 AM
London Taps looks 100 times better tonight than it did a week ago. I'm really impressed with these guys. Can't wait for it to open.

raisethehammer
Mar 28, 2008, 3:13 AM
brand spanking new pics from today:

I LOVE all the wood, stone and brick. Wow. This place is gonna rock.

JT Jacobs
Mar 28, 2008, 3:46 AM
brand spanking new pics from today:

I LOVE all the wood, stone and brick. Wow. This place is gonna rock.

Much obliged, RTH.

JT Jacobs
Mar 28, 2008, 3:55 AM
Wow, a serious project. Looks great. That's quite the procedure to drop the staircase in.

That is a second to none view from the patio: I can't wait to see it in the flesh!

matt602
Mar 28, 2008, 9:48 AM
I had no clue that they ripped up the top floor so much. Raises my faith in the quality of this project.

DC83
Mar 28, 2008, 1:33 PM
London Taps looks 100 times better tonight than it did a week ago. I'm really impressed with these guys. Can't wait for it to open.

I totally agree. I look at it EVERY day while waiting for my bus, and it looks 100X better with the letters up & the dark painted windows.

speaking of signage, it looks like there's electrical behind the letters. I hope it has LED shadow lights behind it. It'll make it look so dramatic! Can't wait for this place to finally open! I'm kinda glad they waited til spring, especially after THIS winter... it only makes sense for the rooftop!

raisethehammer
Mar 28, 2008, 1:35 PM
the interior looks like such a great place to chill. that rooftop will be boss.

DC83
Apr 14, 2008, 8:30 PM
I regret to inform you all that they are prepping the lower 1/3 of this building for a stucco treatment :(

It'll be done w/in the next few days

HAMRetrofit
Apr 14, 2008, 8:53 PM
That is really not a good idea on their behalf. Salt and road effluence sprayed on the building from Main Street will eat away at it extremely fast. If anyone is in contact with them perhaps suggest some type of concrete paver or stone.

If anything the top 2/3 would need to be stucco. This is of course if they care about their building's longevity.

DC83
Apr 14, 2008, 8:58 PM
ok, well it may not be stucco... they've layed wire meshing along the walls... but why would they put stonework (or composite stone) on an already-stone building?

raisethehammer
Apr 14, 2008, 9:57 PM
for pete's sake.....

HAMRetrofit
Apr 14, 2008, 11:24 PM
ok, well it may not be stucco... they've layed wire meshing along the walls... but why would they put stonework (or composite stone) on an already-stone building?

I haven't the slightest clue why someone would pervert a building in this way. I did not realize it was stone.

11thIndian
Apr 15, 2008, 12:26 AM
They've been doing some sort of prep work around the doors and windows of the first floor for the last few weeks, framing out plywood for some sort of finish work, and pressure spraying the black paint off the top of the first-floor stone. I saw that they were putting mesh up on the plywood yesterday. Hopefully they're aren't foolish enough to stucco the entire first floor. That would just be crazy, and would really cheapen the look of the building. I think I might walk over there tomorrow morning from Timmie's and see if I can find someone to ask.

the dude
Apr 15, 2008, 3:16 AM
criminal. it really should be illegal to stucco an historic building like that.

11thIndian
Apr 15, 2008, 12:47 PM
There was no one out there working when I was down for my morning XL, but visually it definitely looks like they won't be maintaining the ground floor as it is. The ghost sign on the south side of the building is gone. I was informed by my wife this morning though that she didn't think the building was stone, but concrete block. They obviously aren't going to be doing the entire building, or they wouldn't have put up the signage yet. They capped the building with the yellowed colour for the rooftop patio; either their going to do the ground floor with that, or something more subtle.

I'm back into wait and see mode.

DC83
Apr 15, 2008, 1:40 PM
^^ There was writing on the exterior walls before the mesh wiring was put up indicating shades of colour. I believe the front (facing John) will be a dark coloured sutcco as per the 'dark' written all over this wall.

It wasn't any further ahead this AM as I waited for my B-Line... but that was 6:45am! We'll see when I get home from work, I'll update the second I walk thru the door! haha

the dude
Apr 15, 2008, 1:43 PM
I was informed by my wife this morning though that she didn't think the building was stone, but concrete block.

ummmmm, it's limestone and it was built in the 1850s. trust me on this one.

flar
Apr 15, 2008, 2:08 PM
Trust the dude, it's absolutely definitely limestone, one of the remnants of Hamilton's pre-Confederation stone heritage.

11thIndian
Apr 15, 2008, 2:08 PM
That's what I thought. But she's usually right (or so she tells me), so I gave here the benefit of the doubt.

DC83
Apr 16, 2008, 1:19 PM
So the 'prep' layer of stucco has been spread across the south wall :(
But by the looks of it, only the areas around the doors facing John will be stuccoed... we'll wait and see.

I did notice this morning that the spaces between the rooftop structure has been filled with glass panelling. Looks pretty decent.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/londontaphouse2.jpg
from TheDude earlier in this same thread

11thIndian
Apr 16, 2008, 1:48 PM
They've also put metal bars criss-crossing the roof-top patio, presumably for seagul wire?

They've got to be on a bit of a run to get completed now. Patio weather will be on us soon, and I'd imagine they'll want to miss out on as little of it as possible. Someone who posted in the thread earlier seemed to be in-the-know. I was hoping he'd pop back and give us an ETA.

I don't know if it's been posted in this thread, but here's the breakdown on the different parts of LTH:

"Barrister's Den"- A relaxing casual setting suited for great conversation, delicious eats/drinks and a challenging game of chess 11AM-2AM [basement?].

"The Lounge" - Your gateway to an exciting evening of dancing, laughing, and enjoyment. 7PM-2AM

"Dancing Room" - A truly fabulous dancing experience. 7PM-2AM

"Restaurant" - Delicious menu selections in a relaxed setting - the perfect spot to meet, eat and laugh with friends. 11AM-2AM

"Roof-Top Patio" 4 stories high with beautiful views of Hamilton... come enjoy a cocktail or two in the sun. 11AM-2AM.

That's a whole lotta bar!

DC83
Apr 16, 2008, 2:45 PM
They've also put metal bars criss-crossing the roof-top patio, presumably for seagul wire?

Most likely some sort of tarp? The back half of the roof doesn't have it, so it would be open to air for smokers (blah). It would be silly to have a rooftop bar w/o any sort of protection from the elements.

The windows behind the the ghetto, brown metal sheets are actually really nice... panneled, wood frames. When the place is open open, I'm sure those security screens wont be pulled down nearly as much.

flar
Apr 18, 2008, 10:51 AM
Come to think of it, I beleive the building is sandstone actually, not limestone. But either way it's stone. Most below escarpment structures are made of sandstone, and above escarpment is limestone.