PDA

View Full Version : Rumour Mill

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

raisethehammer
Aug 29, 2008, 3:17 PM
check out the idiotic 'park' being developed by LIUNA. So far it's a slab of concrete.
Really nice.

adam
Aug 29, 2008, 5:40 PM
where?

raisethehammer
Aug 29, 2008, 6:05 PM
King William St.

matt602
Sep 9, 2008, 8:25 AM
Heard from a friend that Best Buy will be holding a job fair in the future for a new location in Hamilton. Unfortunately I can't get any more specific. I'm going to assume it's Upper Stoney Creek.

raisethehammer
Sep 9, 2008, 11:02 AM
they had a big sign in front of the Sheraton recently saying that they're hiring.
No location though.

Everyone REALLY needs to check out this pathetic parkette by LIUNA now.
Wow! A slab of concrete with some benches surrounded by mulch.

DC83
Sep 9, 2008, 11:42 AM
^^ There is a Best Buy being built as we speak in Upper Stoney Creek @ Stonechurch & Upp Mt Albion. It's almost done, pretty much.

Where is the parkette? Beside Reardon's?

SteelTown
Sep 9, 2008, 1:30 PM
I believe two Best Buys will open at the same time in Hamilton. One in Ancaster and one in Stoney Creek. The one in Ancaster is bigger and some employees relocated to the Future Shop in Ancaster's Smart Centre.

FairHamilton
Sep 9, 2008, 2:16 PM
Where is the parkette? Beside Reardon's?

Yes, in the spot of the building they tore down a few weeks ago.

I guess concrete and benches are better then a weed filled, vacant lot........

DC83
Sep 9, 2008, 2:23 PM
^^ it is... in Hamilton.
Hence why we're covering our city hall in the stuff! haha

I'll have to check it out 2nite. Shame too I was just down there yesterday, but avoid King William like the plague now :(

matt602
Nov 27, 2008, 11:56 PM
The Cineplex Odeon on Upper James closes on Dec. 18. True?

Dundasguy
Nov 28, 2008, 2:06 AM
The Cineplex Odeon on Upper James closes on Dec. 18. True?

I can't see that being happening unless they move it.

realcity
Dec 18, 2008, 4:05 AM
who's positioning themselves to run for mayor against Fred.

I think Clark is, that's why the tapegate, he was trying to hurt Fred's equity. Unfortunately it backfired, which is too bad, I think Clark would be a good mayor, he has the connections.

Also Bratina would likely throw his hat in.

It will be wide open next municipal election.

highwater
Dec 18, 2008, 4:36 AM
I think Ferguson's got delusions of grandeur as well. And DiIanni's boy, Chris Eklund.

SteelTown
Dec 18, 2008, 5:00 AM
I really REALLY hope and pray Mark Chamberlain runs for Mayor.

BCTed
Dec 18, 2008, 5:07 AM
I can't see that being happening unless they move it.

They're opening a new theatre on the East Mountain the next day. This might be true.

markbarbera
Dec 18, 2008, 3:41 PM
The Upper James Cineplex Odeon is showing no film listings for the upcoming week.

SteelTown
Dec 18, 2008, 4:32 PM
That would be a great spot for a Superstore.

coalminecanary
Dec 18, 2008, 4:35 PM
pretty sure bratina will not run for mayor but sometimes i wish he would.

hammergirl
Dec 18, 2008, 4:39 PM
That would be a great spot for a Superstore.

It would. The Upper James Fortinos is the "old" small format now. Sometimes that's a good thing though.

The Burger King on Upper James is under renovation and there's a sign up saying they're hiring.

drpgq
Dec 18, 2008, 11:21 PM
Just out of interest, how old are the Upper James cinemas? It seems over the past twenty or thirty years that cinemas just don't last that long.

SteelTown
Dec 18, 2008, 11:23 PM
I don't think it's any older than 10 years.

matt602
Dec 19, 2008, 12:22 AM
I was thinking that earlier this week as I passed, it certainly doesn't look more than 10 years.

SteelTown
Dec 19, 2008, 12:40 AM
I know it was built before the Linc started construction. I remember I used to walk across the field before the Linc to the theatre.

I remember when I thought the cup holder on the chair was an amazing idea haha. At Limeridge you always had to bend over and pick up your popcorn or pop on the floor. I remember going to Limeridge most Tuesdays because of the deal.

SteelTown
Dec 19, 2008, 12:28 PM
Upper James screens go dark

December 19, 2008
Brent Lawson
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/484405

The seven-screen Cineplex Odeon on Upper James is closed today -- the same day Cineplex officially opens its new complex in Stoney Creek.

Cineplex Entertainment, which sent out several media releases about the opening of its new 10-screen cinema, did not announce that the Upper James location was closing.

But Pat Marshall, vice-president, communications and investor relations, hinted there may still be something in the works for the Upper James location.

"We're closing the older facility. We're not in a position to announce anything beyond that at this point. So from our perspective, there's not a lot of news there. The news is really the fact that we're opening this phenomenal, new state-of-the-art theatre.

"At some point later on, if we have other news to announce, we'll announce it then."

Why is the Upper James location closing?

"Because we wanted to replace that theatre with superior assets, which is why we built the new Silver City Hamilton Mountain Cinemas," said Marshall.

Hamilton's newest cinema complex will open its doors as scheduled today after seven months of construction on the 41,000-square-foot project, said a spokesperson.

SilverCity Hamilton Mountain Cinemas features 10 screens -- including two equipped for 3-D films -- and more than 2,000 stadium-style rocker seats.

The complex, which employs more than 100 part-time staff, is located at 795 Paramount Dr. in Stoney Creek.

Customers can take advantage of a chill-out lounge, order refreshments in advance through FastLane service or buy tickets at home and scan them in on their way into the theatre.

The only signage hanging outside the old Mountain theatre last night were the weathered movie posters for the final films screened there. Nothing told moviegoers that the doors were closing.

Building general manager Clive Thompson, who has worked there since it opened 13 years ago, said they told patrons over the past few weeks about the closure, even handing out coupons for free popcorn and thanking everyone for their patronage.

Thompson deferred to head office on most questions, but said the employees have been given the option of working at the Ancaster theatre or the new facility.

"They've taken care of all of them," he said.

Most of the people heading in to see a movie last night were not aware of the closure.

"It's sad the theatre is closing," said one man as he hurried to his seat. "Stoney Creek is too far, Ancaster is too far. Now what?"

markbarbera
Dec 19, 2008, 1:57 PM
Not a huge surprise as the movie theatre business these days is competing with state of the art home theatres and a ten-year-old projection system is out-dated.

I suspect a new Silver City is in the works for the city. My bet is on it being located at the Centre Mall redevelopment.

adam
Dec 19, 2008, 3:52 PM
Also people have gone to theatres too often and felt ripped off... charging $10 or more for a crappy movie only works so many times before people stop going... although apparently during a recession movie theatres do very well!

SteelTown
Dec 19, 2008, 4:09 PM
The Cineplex Odeon on Upper James won't sit empty for long. Something will happen with the property. I remember when that section of Upper James was a field and Odeon paid $1 million for the property. After that Upper James exploded with growth pass Stone Church.

markbarbera
Dec 19, 2008, 4:52 PM
Pretty sure Cineplex Odeon leases the property on Upper James - don't think it's property they own.

SteelTown
Dec 19, 2008, 4:56 PM
They may not own it but someone does and paid $1 million. The opening of Odeon started the boom of growth on Upper James from Stone Church to Rymal.

realcity
Dec 19, 2008, 6:16 PM
I remember when they torn down that red brick (like a little one room school house) building to build the cinemas. Barton Community Center or something it was called. Back then it was my 'off-ice hockey practice' location, so I was glad to see it go. I hated off-ice practice. Now it would've been cool if that building was still there, among all the boxes.

MsMe
Dec 19, 2008, 6:19 PM
There might not be room at the Centre for one. As I had mentioned before. I think the old Commiso building on Nash and Barton would be a good place for a theatre and already has parking. Plus the building is already empty.

realcity
Dec 19, 2008, 6:20 PM
just go to Jackson. By far the best cinemas in town. they're quiet, you can walk around the mall, get a coffee before and/or after the movie, have dinner at Honest Lawyers.

It's a better experience then the friggin 'theme park' they have going on at SilverCity.

markbarbera
Dec 19, 2008, 7:19 PM
I like JS cinemas too.

Msme there is available space on Centre Mall property. Besides the building in the north-west corner of the property (tenant not yet identified), the old Canadian Tire location will be redeveloped once it moves to the new spot at the east end of the property. And Cineplex Odeon has a good leasing relationship with Redcliffe.

MsMe
Dec 19, 2008, 8:22 PM
just go to Jackson. By far the best cinemas in town. they're quiet, you can walk around the mall, get a coffee before and/or after the movie, have dinner at Honest Lawyers.

It's a better experience then the friggin 'theme park' they have going on at SilverCity.

Well I never go to movies or rarely rent them, can't afford to. Oh well, such is life.

mishap
Dec 19, 2008, 10:29 PM
Not a huge surprise as the movie theatre business these days is competing with state of the art home theatres and a ten-year-old projection system is out-dated.

I suspect a new Silver City is in the works for the city. My bet is on it being located at the Centre Mall redevelopment.
Same here. Why do they need to rezone the existing Canadian Tire site when it's already commercial? And who is the "attraction" tenant that the Centre Mall team has been hinting at? And why is the new theatre called "Silver City Hamilton Mountain" when they don't have a lower city location?

I've been wondering about this ever since they mentioned the rezoning.

matt602
Dec 20, 2008, 1:37 AM
I'd be utterly surprised and very happy if a Silvercity were announced for anywhere in the inner, lower city. My problem with the cinema at JS is the fact it is lacking stadium seating. A lot of people will argue that it's just one of those Silvercity gimmicks, but I hate having to look around people's heads to see the screen. The stadium seating really is a huge improvement to the experience, in my opinion.

astroblaster
Dec 20, 2008, 3:01 AM
i dream of a silvercity in the wilson/rebecca/king william mega parking lot area

adam
Dec 20, 2008, 3:45 AM
a 2 storey movie theatre would be great downtown

SteelTown
Dec 25, 2008, 6:19 PM
Just a quick buzz.....yesterday I was informed a good rumour that a movie theatre will likely be built at Centre Mall near Ottawa St.

I can see this killing the movie theatre at Jackson Square. Same happened with Limeridge Mall with Ancaster Silver City.

MsMe
Dec 25, 2008, 6:22 PM
Aren't they also putting a new one in on Stonechurch complex?

SteelTown
Dec 25, 2008, 6:25 PM
Yes, called SilverCity Hamilton Mountain, not just SilverCity Hamilton, like SilverCity Ancaster.

matt602
Dec 25, 2008, 8:34 PM
So the one at Centre would be Silvercity Centre Mall possibly?

SteelTown
Dec 26, 2008, 12:38 AM
No, probably just SilverCity Hamilton not SilverCity Centre Mall. SilverCity Ancaster would have been SilverCity Meadowlands.

block43
Jan 19, 2009, 9:25 PM
Also from www.tcarch.ca
Queen Street Condominiums
- Hamilton, Ontario

Options for Homes not-for-profit condominium project on the site of an existing church, thoughtfully incorporating the materiality of the original building, while also recreating a place of worship.

http://tcarch.ca/images/projects/585.jpg

SteelTown
Jan 20, 2009, 12:17 AM
I'm guessing that's at Queen and King, next to the Mount St. Joseph building. The property is already zoned for a high rise. Believe Darko owns the land.

matt602
Jan 20, 2009, 12:48 AM
Believe Darko owns the land.

Well, there goes my excitement for this project. :no:

SteelTown
Jan 20, 2009, 3:42 AM
I dunno for sure if Darko owns the land. Options for Homes Hamilton is run by Carl Turkstra and Mark Chamberlain. Orginally they wanted to redevelop the Tweedsmuir School but instead the city will turn the land into a park.

flar
Jan 20, 2009, 3:56 AM
"Options for Homes not-for-profit condominium project..."

Vranich is in on a not-for-profit condominium project?

"...on the site of an existing church, thoughtfully incorporating the materiality of the original building, while also recreating a place of worship."

Does this mean they are tearing down that church to build this? Don't we have about fifty brown brick slabs like this already? It's right on King Street and half the lot is a carport of some kind. If the building were cut in half and stacked one on top of each other at least it would be as tall as the other buildings within a three block radius. It's right beside Hess Village, why not build something distinctive, even it it's not-for-profit.

omro
Jan 20, 2009, 6:46 AM
why not build something distinctive, even it it's not-for-profit.

It is distinctive, and distinctly UGLY! :haha:

block43
Jan 20, 2009, 2:25 PM
Is it recladding an existing highrise? I'm confused.

flar
Jan 20, 2009, 2:49 PM
I interpret it as being built on the site of that old church across from the Scottish Rite.

coalminecanary
Jan 20, 2009, 2:53 PM
If it weren't for the CG shading, I'd say that rendering came straight out of a 1972 apartment building planner guidebook. Barf.

SteelTown
Jan 20, 2009, 2:56 PM
I think it's at the vacant site on Queen St, the land is zoned for a high rise. There has been rumbling about a high rise in the works so this must be it.

The Mount St. Joseph building, which Darko owns, is suppose to be a hotel.

flar
Jan 20, 2009, 3:00 PM
I know it's not-for-profit, BUT they could make a lot more money if they subdivided the lot and sold off those lots, and built a taller building on a smaller footprint.

omro
Jan 20, 2009, 5:15 PM
Is it recladding an existing highrise? I'm confused.

Hopefully it is, rather than a new one. That wouldn't be so bad, ok it's still ugly, because old highrises are. But reclad highrises tend to look better than the bare darkened concrete original exteriors.

Jon Dalton
Jan 20, 2009, 6:47 PM
That looks like alot of pavement.

hmagazine
Jan 21, 2009, 4:24 AM
Anyone else know anything about the Dundas Rona Cashway closing its doors?

Rumour has it that Shoppers has bought the site and is planning to build a huge mega monster shoppers drug mart there...

coalminecanary
Jan 21, 2009, 1:49 PM
heard the same thing and they are having a big sale this weekend...

adam
Jan 21, 2009, 6:16 PM
Wait a little while for the commercial real estate market to crash. These giant stores with huge parking lots are going to be deserts with no tenants and no customers!! I wonder if we'll have Lloyd Ferguson as the "lone driver" making sure there are no bumps in the pavement along these desolations HAHA

SteelTown
Apr 2, 2009, 12:49 AM
It appears the City is making progress on the CN land. With the 2009 Municipal Budget Council will create an Intergovernmental office to deal with Queen's Park and Parliament. With the creation council wants to discuss with Queen's Park regarding the CN land.

To me that's a hint the City wants brownfield funding for the CN land. But obviously you can't do brownfield cleanup unless the tenant, CN, relocates.

drpgq
Apr 2, 2009, 3:00 AM
I didn't see this posted already, but it interested me.

Jackson Hayes
The Hamilton Spectator
(Apr 1, 2009)

A city official was driving a truck with a plate registered to a prominent Hamilton developer's company when he was in a drunk driving fender-bender -- the same developer from whom he is accused of illegally accepting $5,000.

The city will not comment about the case.

Information linking Moodie to local developer Denis Vranich came to light through documents filed in a Burlington court earlier this week.

Calls to both Moodie and Vranich were not returned.

Moodie, former head of Hamilton's downtown residential loan program, pleaded guilty Monday to impaired driving and driving with a suspended licence stemming from a minor accident on Feb. 22, 2008.

Ministry records show the licence plate of the truck Moodie was driving was registered to Vrancor Real Estate Corp.

A corporate profile report for Vrancor Real Estate Corp. shows Denis Vranich as president and secretary of the company.

When told about the impaired driving incident, city spokesperson Michael Kirkopoulos said it is a "personnel issue" and the city does not have a comment.

The controversy over the relationship between Moodie and Vranich emerged in May 2008 when the OPP charged both men with municipal corruption.

Moodie faces an additional charge of public breach of trust.

At the time, Moodie was heading the downtown residential loan program, which gave city money to development projects aimed at revitalizing downtown.

Investigators allege Denis Vranich gave Moodie $5,000 in November 2005 to secure loans for his father, developer Darko Vranich.

Though he is still facing the corruption charge, an internal investigation by the city in July 2008 showed Moodie did not violate the employee code of conduct and he returned to work last summer.

However, instead of returning to the loans program, he was moved to the downtown renewal office where he works as a business development consultant.

It was also revealed in court on Monday that Moodie's driver's licence had been suspended since November 2006 because of unpaid fines.

He was forced to surrender his already suspended licence following his guilty pleas and the city has not revealed how the convictions will affect his current job.

There was also no word from the city on if another review of the relationship between the two men would occur.

Moodie and Denis Vranich are expected in court April 16 on the municipal corruption charge. Moodie will be in court June 9 for sentencing on the driving offences.

realcity
Apr 2, 2009, 12:13 PM
Word is Stinson's Hamilton Grand has be modified into a supertall. He plans on unveiling the new design soon.

matt602
Jun 30, 2009, 6:59 AM
Anybody heard anything about the old Lifesavers building on Cumberland? At some point in the last while the owners installed a ton of cameras on the outside and sealed the building down pretty good. They also appear to be gutting it out and it looks like some new windows were installed. I think the building would make an excellent loft project, myself.

BrianE
Jun 30, 2009, 12:47 PM
No idea. But someone has been using the property as a granite storage facility for over a year now.

drpgq
Nov 14, 2009, 6:30 PM
Heard that an accounting firm is moving into the old Skinner Optical building on John St. North, right by Gore Park. Good news, since that building has been empty for a while now.

realcity
Nov 16, 2009, 5:14 PM
nice.... but can't picture the bldg

Gurnett71
Nov 16, 2009, 6:09 PM
nice.... but can't picture the bldg

I think its the building right behind where McDonalds used to be at John/King.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.256457,-79.866263&spn=0,359.99865&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=43.256361,-79.866307&panoid=lOrkHAFN1g6dpahxi45QZg&cbp=12,305.4,,0,-9.75

drpgq
Nov 16, 2009, 7:32 PM
^^^

That's the one.

matt602
Nov 16, 2009, 9:55 PM
I still don't know what building it is that's being referred to. I don't know where that McDonalds was.

drpgq
Nov 17, 2009, 2:16 AM
The McDonalds was the big white building on the NW corner of King and John. If you follow the McDonalds building along John going north, there's an alley and then the next building on John is it.

Jon Dalton
Nov 17, 2009, 11:52 PM
Hi & Buy Dollar Discount. My roommate remembers as a kid when it was McDonalds. I believe it's vacant now except for the dollar store.

matt602
Nov 18, 2009, 12:18 AM
Yep, took a walk around the building today. I honestly could never picture the building as a McDonalds. I guess it has been changed a fair bit since.

SteelTown
Nov 18, 2009, 12:56 AM
I remember McDonald's at that location. Must have closed early 90s?

markbarbera
Nov 18, 2009, 1:35 AM
It closed when it relocated to the Jackson Square location in the Standard Life Centre -1988 maybe?

Personally I miss the King Street Wendy's even more...

bigguy1231
Nov 18, 2009, 8:00 AM
It closed when it relocated to the Jackson Square location in the Standard Life Centre -1988 maybe?

Personally I miss the King Street Wendy's even more...

I worked at that Wendy's the day it opened. It was a huge place with front and back dining areas. When it first opened there were line ups out the door. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights when the theaters in the area emptied out.

adam
Nov 18, 2009, 6:10 PM
A sense of community... interesting concept.

Gurnett71
Nov 19, 2009, 2:59 AM
I worked at that Wendy's the day it opened. It was a huge place with front and back dining areas. When it first opened there were line ups out the door. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights when the theaters in the area emptied out.

I have a faint recollection of Wendy's downtown. Where on King was it located?

The McD's on King/John was quite the strange layout IIRC. The service counter was at the very back of the store, which is quite far from the King Street doors. I think there was a dining area on the second floor.

LikeHamilton
Nov 19, 2009, 4:39 AM
This was the first McDonalds in Hamilton. it opened in the late 70's.

bigguy1231
Nov 19, 2009, 6:43 AM
I have a faint recollection of Wendy's downtown. Where on King was it located?

The McD's on King/John was quite the strange layout IIRC. The service counter was at the very back of the store, which is quite far from the King Street doors. I think there was a dining area on the second floor.

The Wendy's was in the old Spectator offices just East of where the McDonalds was at John and King. There was no second floor in the McD's. The dining room was at the front of the store.

markbarbera
Nov 19, 2009, 12:17 PM
This was the first McDonalds in Hamilton. it opened in the late 70's.

That doesn't sound right. The McD's at Mohawk and Upper Gage has been around since at least 1972.

SteelTown
Nov 19, 2009, 2:02 PM
I can start a good rumour....

Been hearing rumbling that the province might consider funding some money towards redeveloping the Auchmar Estate. Hamilton wants to turn the place into a Civic Curatorial and Welcome Centre. Would fit in perfectly with the 2015 Pan Am Games. Would be a place to invite dignitaries to Hamilton.

highwater
Nov 19, 2009, 2:42 PM
Hope that's true. It's high time they did something with Auchmar. It's such a huge asset for this city.

SteelTown
Nov 23, 2009, 2:24 PM
Looks like it's happening....

Auchmar tops city's $14.4m wish list
Council to debate applying for federal cash

November 23, 2009
Dana Brown
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/677775

The city is looking to apply for $14.4 million in new funding from the federal government, a good chunk of which they hope will allow it to revamp the Auchmar site.

City councillors will discuss the proposal from staff to apply for the funds at a meeting Monday.

If approved, the cash would come from the Southern Ontario Development Program, which seeks to promote innovation, diversification and economic development.

There are three projects on the city’s wish list, starting with a plan to create a business development proposal to form to the Hamilton Waterfront Development Corporation. The cost would be $100,000.

Next, the city is looking at a $4.3 million project to revamp Frid Street in the west end as part of a planned innovation district expansion. Some funding is already available for that project.

Last is the $10 million Auchmar project.

Under the funding rules, up to 50 per cent of total costs are available for capital projects and up to 75 per cent is available for non-capital projects. It’s expected those applying for cash will kick in at least 10 per cent of the overall cost.

The deadline for applications is Dec. 1.

realcity
Nov 23, 2009, 11:34 PM
what's all the digging at the corner of Burlington and James.?

SteelTown
Nov 23, 2009, 11:37 PM
A&w?

markbarbera
Nov 24, 2009, 12:35 PM
A&w?

I've heard rumour of this before, but the location doesn't really fit the chain's typical target demographics. Can't get a solid confirmation on if this is one of the new franchise locations. I do know that the next A&W to open in Hamilton will be at the corner of Queenston and Grays Road.

SteelTown
Nov 24, 2009, 12:50 PM
If you check the food thread you'll see I've been keeping my eyes open on A&W. Some person got franchise for a bunch of new A&W in Hamilton, think like 3 more to open soon.

realcity
Feb 26, 2010, 7:10 PM
The land was cleaned and now it hasn't had any activity for about two months now? No "coming soon" sign or anything. Are we now having trouble getting an A&W project?

realcity
Feb 26, 2010, 8:00 PM
A & W
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/theshawsphotos/AW.jpg?t=1267214343

SteelTown
Feb 26, 2010, 8:02 PM
OMB and Setting Sail is keeping this project from coming alive.

realcity
Feb 26, 2010, 8:06 PM
Why doesn't Setting Sail worry about itself?

SteelTown
Feb 26, 2010, 8:08 PM
The neighbourhood took the Setting Sail policies to the OMB.

realcity
Feb 26, 2010, 8:13 PM
What does that have to do with A&W? Does Setting Sail own this land?

SteelTown
Feb 26, 2010, 8:16 PM
The Setting Sail policies covers the land. All of the destinated land is "on hold" until OMB makes a ruling.

realcity
Feb 26, 2010, 8:23 PM
destination?
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/theshawsphotos/destination.jpg?t=1267215768

I'll wait for a hotel then

SteelTown
May 3, 2010, 3:37 PM
Shaw = 100 King St West? Possibly

matt602
May 3, 2010, 10:37 PM
If this were true, it begs a different question: are they looking into acquiring Cogeco's share of Hamilton as well? 100 King West would be well out of their current service area.

mishap
May 4, 2010, 2:03 AM
If this were true, it begs a different question: are they looking into acquiring Cogeco's share of Hamilton as well? 100 King West would be well out of their current service area.
Any worse than Cogeco sending their customers to Lime Ridge Mall? Seriously, what kind of company does not have an office in its service area?

When I moved from Dundas (formerly Western territory) to the east end of Hamilton (formerly Rogers territory), I decided I wasn't keeping the cable service. So I called Cogeco and made arrangements to return the digital box. They couldn't take it on Main West, because there was no more customer service there. Ditto Lawrence Road. Absolutely nothing in the lower city, where their customers are located. But I could drop it off at Lime Ridge as soon as possible, though I could probably count my annual visits there on one hand. I ended up taking it to Burlington, because that's where I worked at the time. That's kinda sad.

Sometimes, the company that's the hardest to get away from is the one most worth leaving.

realcity
May 10, 2010, 4:27 PM
Any worse than Cogeco sending their customers to Lime Ridge Mall? Seriously, what kind of company does not have an office in its service area?

When I moved from Dundas (formerly Western territory) to the east end of Hamilton (formerly Rogers territory), I decided I wasn't keeping the cable service. So I called Cogeco and made arrangements to return the digital box. They couldn't take it on Main West, because there was no more customer service there. Ditto Lawrence Road. Absolutely nothing in the lower city, where their customers are located. But I could drop it off at Lime Ridge as soon as possible, though I could probably count my annual visits there on one hand. I ended up taking it to Burlington, because that's where I worked at the time. That's kinda sad.

Sometimes, the company that's the hardest to get away from is the one most worth leaving.

It's all this incremental dissolving of Hamilton's businesses, and offices that has resulted in the Code Red series. And everyone is left scratching their heads?

bigguy1231
Jul 3, 2010, 8:55 PM
Since this is the rumours section and I haven't seen anything mentioned about this here. I heard that Hooters bought the Harvest Burger on King W. Supposedly, Harvest Burger will be gone by the end of the year to be replaced with a downtown Hooters.

Anyone hear anything about this or is it just a rumour.