PDA

View Full Version : So how goes the hockey team?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Canadian Mind
Oct 29, 2007, 11:38 PM
Any recent news regarding expansion of your guys' rink and/or getting an actual franchise?

DC83
Nov 29, 2007, 1:48 PM
Sale of the Lightning falls through

TSN - The Sports Network

11/26/2007

TAMPA, Fla. - The proposed sale of the Tampa Bay Lightning to a group that includes former Florida Panthers coach Doug MacLean is off.

The team said Monday night that an agreement Palace Sports & Entertainment reached in August to sell the NHL franchise to Absolute Hockey Enterprises was terminated on Nov. 14. The deal also included the leasing rights to the St. Pete Times Forum and about 2.2 hectares adjacent to the downtown arena.

"The Lightning entities terminated the agreement because of the failure of Absolute to comply with the terms of the purchase," the team in a statement issued after the St. Petersburg Times reported on its website that the deal fell apart when Absolute did not make a required US$5-million payment.

"At the same time, the buying group expressed continuing interest in purchasing the team, while informing PS&E that there were internal disagreements to be resolved. .. While there is no current agreement in place to sell the team, PS&E is hopeful that those differences can still be resolved and a successful ownership transfer can take place."

Palace Sports & Entertainment is led by Detroit Pistons owner Bill Davidson, who bought the Lightning in 1999 and helped transform the club from a perennial last-place team into a franchise that won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

The proposed sale was announced on Aug. 7.

MacLean, fired in April as the Columbus Blue Jackets' president and general manager, was joined that day at a news conference by fellow investors Jeff Sherrin, a Coral Springs real estate developer, and Oren Koules, a Los Angeles TV and movie producer.

DC83
Nov 29, 2007, 1:49 PM
So I wonder if Balsillie is following this story?

SteelTown
Nov 29, 2007, 1:52 PM
Tampa Bay Lightning is a good team to acquire, I think we all know where Dave Andreychuk came from.

DC83
Nov 29, 2007, 1:56 PM
Tampa Bay Lightning is a good team to acquire, I think we all know where Dave Andreychuk came from.

Was he born in Hamilton Mountain Arena? Isn't that why they named it after him?? hahahaha

Ya, the team would be welcome here a) as they're previous Stanley Cup Winners; b) Dave's the man!! haha

Hell, we all know ANY team would be welcome here... even the Capitals (which aren't doing much worse than the Laffs, ps) haha

raisethehammer
Nov 29, 2007, 2:00 PM
I'd be loving that since I have Vinny and St. Louis on my fantasy team!

flar
Nov 29, 2007, 2:14 PM
The problem with the Lightning is they have good attendance. Why can't Carolina or Florida go on the market...

DC83
Nov 29, 2007, 2:45 PM
I'd be loving that since I have Vinny and St. Louis on my fantasy team!

To have Vinny in this city would make me VERY happy!
He's one of my faves for sure! I actually voted for him for the 2008 All-Star Game.
You guys should vote too: http://fanballoting.nhl.com/

SteelTown
Dec 19, 2007, 12:40 AM

Balsillie also tested the waters for an National Hockey League team in Hamilton earlier this year, inking a non-binding deal with Nashville Predators owner Craig Leipold to buy the team for US$238 million.

But the deal collapsed after NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and Leipold took exception to Balsillie setting up a website to accept deposits for season's tickets and private boxes for the team.

In an interview related to a RIM product announcement in November, Balsillie reluctantly declined - on the advise of his public relations aide - to comment on his personal quest for an NHL team.

"Yeah, I can't comment on that stuff right now," he laughed. "But stay tuned. Stay tuned. Who knows what will happen on any of this stuff? It's the craziest thing, you know. It's all the craziest thing."

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hbwuc3CJBB3zpvQ0Hzhihz0lN0Mg

DC83
Jan 20, 2008, 8:22 PM
Kelly: Canadian cities should be considered

TSN.ca Staff

1/20/2008 10:14:49 AM

NHL Players Association executive director Paul Kelly would like Canadian cities to be included should the NHL consider future expansion.

In an interview with the Palm Beach Post, Kelly listed a number of cities that are "anxious" to get a team, including Seattle, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Kansas City, Las Vegas and Houston.

"The six Canadian franchises do so well, they pack the buildings, get great TV, great revenue streams. If you put another team up there, be it in Nova Scotia or Hamilton, it would be more of the same."

In the most recent collective bargaining agreement between the players and the owners, the salary cap has been set at 54% of hockey-related revenues. Any increase in revenue would mean an increase in the salary cap and, theoretically, player salaries.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=227769&hubname=

oldcoote
Feb 5, 2008, 7:34 PM
I think it's fairly obvious that Hamilton will never get an expansion team while Gary Bettman is the commish.

I do think that some teams are ripe for relocation however.

Nashville remains on that list, although I think they will go to Kansas City.

Florida is the most likely team to be bought and moved, with Atlanta on the shortlist.

Expect movie mogul Jerry Bruckheimer to own the expansion Las Vegas Sinners.

DC83
Feb 5, 2008, 7:54 PM
^^ Oooh. Despite the fact that I HATE that Las Vegas would have an NHL team before Hamilton, the Las Vegas Sinners IS a great name! hahaha

FLA is doomed. But I'm sure it will be relocated to yet another sunbelt city where Hockey is the 4th or 5th... or 6th,8th, 9th, etc favourite sport behind NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR, PGA, Horse Racing, and what's that new sport I saw on American TV the other day? MLE? Major League Eating?? YES... it exists (http://www.majorleagueeating.com/)! Americans are disgusting!

SteelTown
Feb 5, 2008, 9:03 PM
Why don't we just rape Buffalo and take the Sabres well Toronto takes the Bills? lol

SteelTown
Mar 31, 2008, 11:11 PM
NHL cleared by Canada's antitrust watchdog

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - The National Hockey League won a legal faceoff on Monday when Canada's antitrust watchdog was there was nothing improper in its handling of failed bid for the Nashville Predators.

The Competition Bureau started an investigation last year when the NHL reportedly balked at an attempt by Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie, co-chief executive of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion, to buy the Nashville team with an eye to moving the club to southern Ontario.

Locating the team in Hamilton, Ontario, would have put it in direct market competition with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres, but there was no evidence the NHL blocked the move for antitrust reasons, the regulators said.

"The NHL was consistently of the view that the Nashville Predators franchise should not be relocated at this time, irrespective of where the franchise would be relocated," the bureau said.

The Predators were eventually bought by a group of businessmen who plan to keep it in the Tennessee city.

BCTed
Mar 31, 2008, 11:51 PM
NHL cleared by Canada's antitrust watchdog

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - The National Hockey League won a legal faceoff on Monday when Canada's antitrust watchdog was there was nothing improper in its handling of failed bid for the Nashville Predators.

The Competition Bureau started an investigation last year when the NHL reportedly balked at an attempt by Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie, co-chief executive of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion, to buy the Nashville team with an eye to moving the club to southern Ontario.

Locating the team in Hamilton, Ontario, would have put it in direct market competition with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres, but there was no evidence the NHL blocked the move for antitrust reasons, the regulators said.

"The NHL was consistently of the view that the Nashville Predators franchise should not be relocated at this time, irrespective of where the franchise would be relocated," the bureau said.

The Predators were eventually bought by a group of businessmen who plan to keep it in the Tennessee city.

I wonder if old Jimbo has any more tricks up his sleeve.

Goldfinger
Apr 1, 2008, 1:01 AM
Balsillie just got a seat on the Trilateral commission. I would imagine his new network of friends may be able to help him out.

the dude
Apr 1, 2008, 2:40 AM
^^ Oooh. Despite the fact that I HATE that Las Vegas would have an NHL team before Hamilton, the Las Vegas Sinners IS a great name! hahaha

FLA is doomed. But I'm sure it will be relocated to yet another sunbelt city where Hockey is the 4th or 5th... or 6th,8th, 9th, etc favourite sport behind NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR, PGA, Horse Racing, and what's that new sport I saw on American TV the other day? MLE? Major League Eating?? YES... it exists (http://www.majorleagueeating.com/)! Americans are disgusting!

you forgot 'jai alai' and dog racing as two sports that are more popular than hockey in florida...but it's a valid market in spite of that. damn, i hate bettman.

DC83
Apr 1, 2008, 2:59 AM
you forgot 'jai alai' and dog racing as two sports that are more popular than hockey in florida...but it's a valid market in spite of that. damn, i hate bettman.

Whoa! I had NO idea what 'jai alai' was, so I had to YouTube it! haha It's like Extreme Squash meets Lacross meets Basket Weaving all on an NBA sized court. Interesting!?

People in Florida like this sport?
Well at least it's better than Major League Eating... and the XFL...

BCTed
Apr 1, 2008, 2:59 AM

I am not a fan of Gary Bettman either, but both Florida franchises were awarded before he became commissioner.

DC83
Apr 1, 2008, 3:05 AM
I am not a fan of Gary Bettman either, but both Florida franchises were awarded before he became commissioner.

Ya, but we (in Hamilton) have a special hate for the FLA teams, especially Tampa as that is one of the cities (along with Ottawa) that got the expansion franchise when Hamilton was a 'shoe-win' (back in '92). Not to mention the fact that the majority of the people in the regions have most likely never stepped foot on ice to play hockey... so therefor can hardly appreciate it.

If there's one thing (besides the GAME of Hockey itself) that unifies Canada, I think it's our hatred for Betteman! The country (esp Winni, QC & the Hammer) will definately throw a parade in honour of his ousting (hopefully a joint parade showcasing our new NHL teams)!

BCTed
Apr 1, 2008, 3:13 AM
Ya, but we (in Hamilton) have a special hate for the FLA teams, especially Tampa as that is one of the cities (along with Ottawa) that got the expansion franchise when Hamilton was a 'shoe-win' (back in '92). Not to mention the fact that the majority of the people in the regions have most likely never stepped foot on ice to play hockey... so therefor can hardly appreciate it.

If there's one thing (besides the GAME of Hockey itself) that unifies Canada, I think it's our hatred for Betteman! The country (esp Winni, QC & the Hammer) will definately throw a parade in honour of his ousting (hopefully a joint parade showcasing our new NHL teams)!

The Florida hate is one thing and the Bettman hate seems to be another. Tampa was actually awarded a team in 1990 so we can't blame Gary for that one.

It is nice to think that Gary Bettman's removal will bring about teams in any of those three cities, but it is not really true. If a team in Hamilton ever does come about, it will not be exclusively (or perhaps not at all) because of his departure.

DC83
Apr 1, 2008, 3:21 AM
^^ Agreed! We all know he's a puppet to the Board of Governors... who we all know suck up to MLSE since they contribute the most to revenue-sharing... and this anti-competiton ruling today doesn't help either way.

However I'm confident that with the strong Canadian Dollar, the huge turnarounds from ALL 6 Canadian teams since the lockout, and the dying market in the States, etc... Canada will have at least 2 more hockey teams in the very near future: Winipeg & Hamilton.

It's only a matter of time down there. First they can't afford their houses, next they wont be able to afford a car to drive to their suburban arenas, next their seasons tickets, then eventually the whole team. ATL seems to be the biggest loss at the moment. We'll see how that goes *crosses fingers*

ps: I know ATL & Tampa's arenas are urban... I was just bein a bug ;)

BCTed
Apr 1, 2008, 3:26 AM
^^ Agreed! We all know he's a puppet to the Board of Governors... who we all know suck up to MLSE since they contribute the most to revenue-sharing... and this anti-competiton ruling today doesn't help either way.

However I'm confident that with the strong Canadian Dollar, the huge turnarounds from ALL 6 Canadian teams since the lockout, and the dying market in the States, etc... Canada will have at least 2 more hockey teams in the very near future: Winipeg & Hamilton.

It's only a matter of time down there. First they can't afford their houses, next they wont be able to afford a car to drive to their suburban arenas, next their seasons tickets, then eventually the whole team. ATL seems to be the biggest loss at the moment. We'll see how that goes *crosses fingers*

ps: I know ATL & Tampa's arenas are urban... I was just bein a bug ;)

I actually heard that both arenas were located on the Mountain next to power centres.

DC83
Apr 1, 2008, 3:37 AM
I actually heard that both arenas were located on the Mountain next to power centres.

... then it might look like THIS

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/DC_83/SBP.jpg
ScotiaBank Place, Kanata (Ottawa) ON... approx 25 min drive from city centre. Wonder how long it would take to walk there?!

BCTed
Apr 1, 2008, 3:52 AM
... then it might look like THIS

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/DC_83/SBP.jpg
ScotiaBank Place, Kanata (Ottawa) ON... approx 25 min drive from city centre. Wonder how long it would take to walk there?!

Good gosh, DC83... I almost threw up my midnight snack! What were you thinking?

the dude
Apr 1, 2008, 4:54 AM
the palladium/corel centre/place scotiabank was built as the cornerstone of a...SUBURBAN BIGBOX DEVELOPMENT!!! it's total bullshit and could have been located somewhere closer to downtown, like the lebreton flats for example:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/ottawa2.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/ottawa-1.jpg
the one time i drove there it took an hour and a half. the queensway is as unpleasant an 'expressway' as the gardiner. the other times i took the bus which was free, if memory serves me correct.

SteelTown
Apr 1, 2008, 11:22 AM
A lot of legal mumbo-jumbo
Competition Bureau agrees NHL would not allow a veto to relocate team to Hamilton

April 01, 2008
Steve Milton
The Hamilton Spectator

The ruling certainly doesn't help Hamilton's chances of getting an NHL hockey team, but it doesn't kill it.

The Competition Bureau ruled yesterday that the league did not contravene Canada's Competition Act in its processing of Jim Balsillie's bid to buy the Nashville Predators last spring. The Bureau also examined Balsillie's earlier attempt to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In both cases, Balsillie would likely have eventually moved the team to Copps Coliseum.

The ruling removes, for now, one of the potential legal hammers that could have been used to break down the National Hockey League's resistance, should Balsillie -- or anyone else -- buy a team and formally try to move it to Hamilton.

"We are confident that the NHL's policies are not anticompetitive," said Richard Taylor, deputy commissioner of competition, on the Bureau's website. "We conducted an extensive investigation which established that the NHL's policies were directed at furthering legitimate interests of the NHL, and not to prevent competition. This concludes our investigation of the matter."

The Canadian Bureau decided to look into the matter when several Canadian media outlets, including The Spectator, questioned whether the league actions might be blocking a second team from coming to southern Ontario.

But the Bureau agreed that the NHL would not permit any single team -- read, Toronto Maple Leafs or Buffalo Sabres -- to exercise a veto to prevent a franchise from entering into southern Ontario.

According to Section 36 of the NHL bylaws, only a majority of teams would have to vote in favour of relocation.

Legal and political pressures were never going to be the key to getting a team here anyway, although their existence would have certainly helped in a peripheral way. And it should be remembered that the Competition Bureau instigated the investigation of the NHL on its own, not at the urging of Balsillie, although he didn't oppose it.

But it was already clear, from their conciliatory tone of late, that the Balsillie camp will take a softer approach on its next attempt to purchase.

They followed all the protocol on the Pittsburgh deal and felt that the league absolutely skewered them as the deal was closing. So they became much more visible, vocal and aggressive in the Nashville dealings.

In so doing, Balsillie forced the issue of Canadian teams and the viability of Hamilton as a franchise site into the national, and NHL, consciousness. But he also rubbed many NHL governors the wrong way.

Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger doesn't think the Competition Bureau's ruling changes much in the city's pursuit of an NHL team.

"It's nice to know the law of the land doesn't think the NHL would do anything against the Competition Act," Eisenberger said yesterday.

"From where I sit, and from what a lot of people think, this market could easily handle another team. It could handle all three teams and create a big rivalry."

Balsillie's agreement with the city for long-term rights to Copps Coliseum formally expired when his company did not own a team by Dec. 31.

The NHL was happy with the ruling, of course.

"We were never concerned about an adverse finding, despite the fact that we were obviously the target of a misguided smear campaign intended to arouse public sentiment, especially in Canada," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Canadian Press.

Former Nashville Predator owner Craig Leipold pulled out of negotiations with Balsillie last summer after agreeing in May to sell the Predators for $228-million US.

After protracted negotiations, the team was sold for $193-million US to Predators Holdings LLC, which includes mostly local business people. But the largest investment has been made by William (Boots) Del Biaggio, a Californian, who originally had been hired by the arena in Kansas City to bring a team there.

With no other bidders, Del Biaggio's presence, and Leipold's subsequent purchase of the Minnesota Wild, the sale price appeared to be well over market value and raised many, many eyebrows.

And some are still raised. As they should be.

Oh, oh, is that a smear? Or merely misguided?

And the response from the Balsillie camp?

"The Competition Bureau is there to ensure access to markets and effective competition practices in Canada for the benefit of all Canadians," said Balsillie's lawyer, Richard Rodier, in a prepared statement.

"No doubt they conducted the inquiry to the best of their abilities to reach their conclusion, and did what they deemed best to protect the interests of Canadian consumers of professional hockey."

Rodier would not comment further on the issue. Did we mention that they're taking a more conciliatory approach?

How the Competition Bureau came to this conclusion, only they know for certain, but we'll certainly be reminding them of their finding -- and so should the local MPs -- the next time a team gets close to moving to Hamilton. Whenever that is.

Because now we all know, for sure, that the NHL would never do anything anticompetitive.

Never. Ever.

DC83
Apr 1, 2008, 11:07 PM
^^ Good article!

"We were never concerned about an adverse finding, despite the fact that we were obviously the target of a misguided smear campaign intended to arouse public sentiment, especially in Canada," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Canadian Press.

Wow. That's all I can say to THAT!

the dude
Apr 2, 2008, 5:50 AM
i think we all realize that the maple leafs will never allow a team to re-locate to the hammer. that's always been the problem and always will be the problem. there isn't a greedier organization anywhere in professional sport.

FairHamilton
Apr 2, 2008, 1:17 PM
If the economy in the US is really as bad as recent reports and a recession is imminent (if not already present), I would say there may be a few NHL teams in financial difficulties. That would mean some US teams are going to go on the auction block, or face closing down.

Think about it, if you can’t get a network TV contract, sell out games and make money in good times, how are things going to be in bad times. Hockey is really a fringe sport in many US markets (much of the US) and after 20+ years (some would say 30+) of trying to gain traction is not even near critical mass and acceptance in the public’s attention.

Perhaps the economy will finally force the NHL’s hand. Here's hoping.......

oldcoote
Apr 2, 2008, 2:59 PM
i think we all realize that the maple leafs will never allow a team to re-locate to the hammer. that's always been the problem and always will be the problem. there isn't a greedier organization anywhere in professional sport.

I used to believe this. Now, I'm not so sure.

First of all, it will require more than the Leafs and Sabres to scuttle a Hamilton franchise.

Secondly, I think you can play to the greed of MLSE. If you were MLSE, would you rather pay $10 million equalization payments to the Nashville's and Florida's, or have a successful and viable franchise an hour away in the Hammer? Also, approach the Leafs about using Leafs TV to air some Hamilton games. Become a partner with them, and nurture a natural rivalry.

I do believe that Hamilton will never be awarded a new franchise though. It has to come via relocation.

coalminecanary
Apr 2, 2008, 4:50 PM
What's funny is that I think that a Hamilton Team could actually boost Leafs' income. I mean, we aren't going to suck away all of the fans. If anything, a Hamilton team would attract more anti-leaf fans who pick just about anyone BUT the Leafs out of spite than it would actual die hard leaf fans.

Imagine the possibilities of cross promotion, offering package ticket deals where you see one night in hamilton and one in toronto, and the rivalry that will build up could build both franchises up higher than they could have imagined.

i think it would end up being good for both teams. it would probably hurt buffalo more than toronto...

Berklon
Apr 2, 2008, 11:52 PM
A Hamilton/Toronto rivalry would be pretty intense and would generate a lot of interest - even more than Toronto/Ottawa and maybe matching Toronto/Montreal.

I guess it could be called the "GO Series" as it would be one simple GO train ride away between the two cities (assuming GO extends train service all the way to Hamilton in the evening). Very convenient that the ACC and GO train are meshed together, and the Hunter St. station is only a few blocks from the Copps (James North an extra 2 or 3 blocks further).

the dude
Apr 3, 2008, 2:47 PM
unfortunately, either mlse doesn't know or doesn't care about the potential benefits of having another team 45 mins down the road. all they see is competition and i don't believe that will ever change.

there'll likely be teams in winnipeg and quebec before hamilton. i thought i heard something about quebec building a new arena, so it looks like they might be back on the market for a team. actually, i wouldn't be surprised if there were teams in stockholm and london before we ever get a sniff.

FairHamilton
Apr 3, 2008, 7:03 PM
Imagine the possibilities of cross promotion, offering package ticket deals where you see one night in hamilton and one in toronto, and the rivalry that will build up could build both franchises up higher than they could have imagined

The problem with that is the Leafs don't ever need to offer "ticket deals"........

SteelTown
May 6, 2008, 4:29 PM
Balsillie still in the hunt as would-be team owner

Billionaire rumoured to have contacted Sabres owner about purchase

May 06, 2008 04:30 AM
Rick Westhead
Sports Business Columnist

Billionaire Jim Balsillie contacted the owner of the Buffalo Sabres about buying the team earlier this season, a sign the Research in Motion co-founder is still seeking an NHL franchise after two previous high-profile flameouts.

Balsillie phoned Sabres owner Tom Golisano around Christmas, according to a source familiar with the matter. Golisano indicated he would be open to selling the club – but not if Balsillie intended to relocate it.

Golisano, founder of payroll processing company Paychex based in Rochester, N.Y., has long ties to the Western New York area. Worth about $1.8 billion, in 2003 he bought the Sabres out of bankruptcy for $92 million.

Comparatively, Balsillie's pursuit of an NHL team has been chock-a-block with tumult. The 47-year-old had a tentative agreement to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2006. But he withdrew his offer after learning the NHL would restrict his ability to move the club. His next attempt was to buy the Nashville Predators. That was scuttled last summer.

Balsillie indicated he would move that club to Hamilton and began taking deposits from prospective season ticket holders. But Predators' then-owner Craig Leipold would go on to sell the team for less money to local investors.

Some observers believe the NHL pressured Leipold to accept the less-lucrative offer to keep the team out of Balsillie's hands – and keep the Predators out of the Maple Leafs and Sabres backyard.

Balsillie's setbacks notwithstanding, several investment bankers who specialize in the sports industry said there's still a good chance he will wind up with an NHL team.

As concerns about the stalling U.S. economy continue to percolate, as many as half of the NHL's 30 teams – a group headlined by the Phoenix Coyotes, the Atlanta Thrashers and the Predators – could be available.

Balsillie, a long-time hockey fan who named conference rooms at RIM's head office after retired NHL stars such as Guy Lafleur, Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe, isn't speaking publicly about his pursuit of an NHL club, his lawyer said.

In an interview with CBC last month, Balsillie said of his attempts to buy a franchise: "I don't know where the path is going to go. It started as something like, `Boy, this would be fun.'"

Asked about clashing with the NHL and commissioner Gary Bettman, he said, "They're doing what they're doing. For me it started as a fun thing. After a while, I got tired of feeling like a boarder in my own house. As a Canadian, I felt like I was a boarder in my own house."

Balsillie, who hired a former Ontario Hockey League player to whip him into shape for shinny games, said he plays hockey twice a week.

His position? "A rover," he told the CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos. "I don't know my goalie's name."

Several sports bankers said the Coyotes headline the list of NHL teams that Balsillie may now be targeting. The Coyotes are said to be losing as much as $30 million (U.S.) a season and are struggling to pad season-ticket sales, as well as local broadcast and sponsorship revenue. One obstacle to buying the Coyotes and moving them would be the team's lease, several bankers said.

Other NHL teams that could be available for sale include the Thrashers, Florida and Columbus, whose attendance slipped a league-high 9.5 per cent this season and whose owner John McCallum recently died.

In Buffalo, meantime, the Sabres have emerged as a small-market NHL success story. The Sabres sold out 38 of 40 home games this season, and drew 71,217 to an outdoor game at the NFL's Ralph Wilson Stadium. A lean operation – one team official said "we don't have a bunch of vice-presidents of this or that" – the Sabres also generated as much as $9 million from their local broadcast contract with broadcaster MSG and was cash-flow positive.

DC83
May 6, 2008, 4:45 PM
here we go againnnnn!! hahaha

Coyotes, eh? Wayne Gretzky, eh? Hmmm, sounds intriguing. I know a certain coach/Great One who supports an NHL Franchise for Hamilton.

It's so unfortunate that the MLSE is a group of money-hungry, greedy, goons! The NHL would truly thrive if Hamilton, Winnipeg & QC were to get our teams back.

Should I keep my fingers crossed again? They started to go numb thru the whole Preds fiasco! haha

ps: I don't want the Sabres! They deserve to be there. Buffalo obviously loves Hockey and they love the Sabres. It wouldn't be fair to steal that from them. Take it from Phoenix, Columbus or FLA... City's that don't care! (for the record, I was against the potential purchase of the Pens back then too, as they're an obvious hockey town)

oldcoote
May 6, 2008, 5:31 PM
Didn't Phoenix just get a new arena via a truckload of public money? I don't see them moving.

Florida (Miami) is a hockey wasteland though. And I think Atlanta's in trouble. They had to trade one of their 2 best players this year (Hossa) and they've been mired in mediocrity for years.

I am a Leaf fan born and bred, but I would likely convert into a Hamilton fan and season ticket holder. I was one of flock who put money down the last time.

SteelTown
May 6, 2008, 6:16 PM
Getting the Coyotes would probably be Hamilton's best shot at getting an NHL team. Could you imagine Wayne as Coach in this area!? Pat Quinn as GM. Insane lol

Good to know that Jim Balsillie is still in the hunt for a new team.

DC83
May 6, 2008, 7:21 PM
I am a Leaf fan born and bred, but I would likely convert into a Hamilton fan and season ticket holder. I was one of flock who put money down the last time.

I also put money down on those tix... I'm an optomist, what can I say... :(

I'm a born-n-bred Habs fan. This would be a very tough conversion for me. But like thousands others around, the conversion would happen and the team would make mad cash here.

Wayne would be happy to play in Hamilton... I seem to remember several highlight reels from a recent Sports Centre Top 10 (5 of the 10 -- it was Top 10 Goals wearing that half-maple leaf jersey) were from Wayne & Lemieux from the 89(?) Canada Cup? He seems to play pretty damn well in Copps! ;)

matt602
May 6, 2008, 8:31 PM
I'm glad the Buffalo owners don't want a team going anywhere. I wouldn't even want it to come here. Buffalo needs their team.

HAMRetrofit
May 6, 2008, 10:36 PM
He should just buy two teams.

Buy the Sabres and a struggling southern team. Move the Sabres to Hamilton to avoid paying penalties. Then move the struggling team from the south to Buffalo. Then he can pay himself relocation fees.

Either that or just buy a majority share in MLS.

BCTed
May 7, 2008, 2:40 AM
I'm glad the Buffalo owners don't want a team going anywhere. I wouldn't even want it to come here. Buffalo needs their team.

I would not like to see Buffalo lose either the Sabres or the Bills.

This Balsillie story is mostly a non-story given the completely unsurprising and perhaps almost expected nature of it. When I heard that Tom Golisano was willing to part with the team, my first thought was that Balsillie would probably give the tires a bit of a kick.

Given Jim Balsillie's persistence, there will always be an outside chance that he will purchase a team and move it to southern Ontario. Every indication has always been that the home for such a team would be Hamilton and I hope that that is indeed Jimbo's plan.

the dude
May 7, 2008, 9:07 AM
^ '87 canada cup...good times. lemieux from gretzky...murphy used as a decoy...6-5 victory...total sweetness.

as always, the question is not whether a team would be successful here or whether there's a potential owner - the answer is yes. it's whether or not mlse will allow another team into its territory. mlse carries a great deal of clout at the commissioner's office and pretty much has veto power over such a move. the question is, under what circumstances would they allow this to transpire? can't think of one, save for them owning the team. still got my fingers crossed, though.

oldcoote
May 7, 2008, 2:22 PM
the question is, under what circumstances would they allow this to transpire?

$

Can Balsillie can convince MLSE that a team moving to Hamilton would put more money in MLSE's pockets?

MLSE has likely peaked in terms of ROI. They are maxed out in terms of ticket sales. They have branded everything. They own a stable of media. They own a successful soccer team. They're even into Toronto's lucrative condo market.

So what if Balsillie said, for example, Leafs TV can carry 20 Hamilton games a year? Maybe MLSE could handle some of the branding of the Hamilton franchise?

More than that. Create a rivalry. Play into the Argo's/Cats rivalry. Sure, the Leafs may lose a few fans (like me), but the league stands to gain a whole lot more.

SteelTown
May 7, 2008, 2:26 PM
There was an idea suggesting that Balsillie might turn over Copps to MLSE if he acquires a team. Therefore MLSE would make money off sales, foods, marketing, Leafs TV, etc.

DHLawrence
May 7, 2008, 4:09 PM
The NHL has to realize that Balsillie won't give up until he has a team of his own, no matter where it's located or where it will eventually go.

I'd like it if he bought one of the teams from Texas or Florida or another state that hasn't received regular snowfall in the last fifty years. Let's start repatriating our franchises!

BCTed
Jun 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
Canada deserves more teams: PA boss
Paul Kelly wants the NHL to focus more on Canada, writes Bruce Dowbiggin
Bruce Dowbiggin, Canwest News Service
Published: Sunday, June 01, 2008

Source: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=154bc648-b56b-4e86-bace-70f52f2ef5b2&p=2

Paul Kelly, the Boston lawyer who's now the executive director of the NHL Players' Association, believes that Canada should have at least one -- and perhaps more -- NHL franchises if the league relocates a team or expands.

"I think it would be a huge error not to relocate one of the existing franchises to Hamilton or Winnipeg," Kelly told the Toronto Star when asked about where failing U.S. franchises might move. Kelly then pointed out that it's folly for the league to blackball RIM billionaire Jim Balsillie, who wants to bring another team to southern Ontario. "He built his company from nothing into an $80-billion company. We would be foolhardy not to see his efforts happen."

(Kelly subsequently told Canwest News Service by e-mail that this is an issue he will be pursuing, and that getting teams to Canadian markets where they can be more profitable is in the NHLPA's interest.)

The impetus for Kelly's remarks about Balsillie is a couple of stories in the past few days. First, the Star produced an internal NHL financial document that supports our contention that the rise in the Canadian dollar and the performance of Canadian teams is obscuring major problems elsewhere in the league -- problems not solved by the draconian lockout.

That brings us back to the purported unsuitability of Balsillie. The American leader of the NHLPA wants the BlackBerry Guy to add more Canadian content to the NHL. Wayne Gretzky has added his voice, saying Hamilton is a bonafide market. But so far, the Canadian voices in the ownership are silent. It's self evident that hockey is Canada's game and passion. Southern Ontario -- at the very minimum -- should have a team.

But who will bring that message to NHL headquarters in Manhattan, where Bettman seems more concerned with rescuing the deadbeats he brought into the league than bringing real money, energy and hockey passion to the sport?

the dude
Jun 1, 2008, 1:11 PM
that's nice to hear.

hamilton, winnipeg and quebec - it's so bloody simple it hurts...damn i miss the nordiques.

raisethehammer
Jun 1, 2008, 6:50 PM
Bettman is a friggin idiot....I hope the NHL goes out of business entirely. Anyone watching any of this Stanley Cup??? horrible. It's like a non-contact girls/Euro league. You used to have to battle to win the Cup...now it's a sissy US game with no passion and no battling required (none allowed actually!).
Screw Bettman!

DHLawrence
Jun 1, 2008, 6:51 PM
I say remove the SoCal, Texas, Arizona, and Florida teams, and any other teams that are in locations without regular snowfall, and move them to the northern US and Canada--places that will actually appreciate more teams and stimulate competition between them.

The only problem I can see with southern Ontario getting a team is that the OHL might suffer, especially in Waterloo Region. Why go to a Kitchener Rangers game when you can go a bit farther and get an NHL game? Even so, might drive a bit more competition between the two leagues to attract spectators.

SteelTown
Jun 4, 2008, 3:33 AM
This upcoming NHL off season should be an interesting time, might be the best chance for Balsillie to aquire a team.

NHL teams courting RIM's Balsillie
Theresa Tedesco, Chief Business Correspondent, National Post
Published: Tuesday, June 03, 2008

As many as eight National Hockey League teams have been in discussions or made overtures to Jim Balsillie in recent months about a possible sale or minority partnership with the Canadian billionaire, sources say.

A struggling U.S. economy, strong Canadian dollar and weak hockey markets south of the border have combined to make the deep pockets of the 47-year-old co-founder of the BlackBerry device too irresistible to some NHL owners, despite Mr. Balsillie's tempestuous relations with the league's head office in New York.

Since last December, Mr. Balsillie, who has an estimated net worth of US$1.6-billion according to Forbes magazine, has both received and initiated approaches with the owners of NHL clubs, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

Mr. Balsillie, the co-chief executive of Research in Motion Ltd., declined to comment on Tuesday.

However Richard Rodier, a special advisor to the Canadian billionaire, confirmed there have been discussions with current NHL owners, although he refused to identify the teams.

"Our experience has been that there is certainly no shortage of owners who want to sell their team right now but we have to be very careful about the market," he said. "If the team were doing well financially in the applicable market, one can assume the owner would have no interest in selling it."

Of the eight ownership groups who engaged in talks and negotiations with Mr. Balsillie, several represent NHL teams in the southern United States, including the Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning and Dallas Stars. An offer was tabled by Mr. Balsillie for the Buffalo Sabres last December but was scuttled when he insisted on moving the team to Southwestern Ontario.

Other discussions involved partners in groups that own teams, for example, the Edmonton Oilers, where one of the 34 partners had expressed an interest in selling his stake to Mr. Balsillie.

In any event, Mr. Balsillie, a fiercely patriotic hockey fan, has said he is not interested in owning an existing Canadian team. Nor does he want to move a franchise from one Canadian city to another.

According to insiders, the Waterloo, Ont.-based businessman maintains a firm desire to relocate a team from the United States to Canada, most likely to Hamilton, Ont., and refuses to accept conditions that include a prohibition from moving a team that is struggling in its current market.

Bill Daly, deputy commissioner of the NHL, confirmed Tuesday the league is "aware" that "contacts" have been made between Mr. Balsillie and some team owners.

"To the extent that there are those kinds of communications, I am not necessarily surprised," he said. "Whenever you're dealing with businessmen in these types of situations, you are looking at your options all the time. I don't think there's an abnormality in those types of contacts from time to time."

Wayne McDonnell, a clinical assistant professor of sports management at New York University, says a slowdown in the U.S. economy is creating a "buyer's market" in the 30-team league.

"We are in for some tough economic times and if you're buying a hockey franchise, you're likely going to get a discount," he explained. "Owners are looking at a quick opportunity to sell a franchise for more than they paid for it, especially because there are some very weak U.S. markets the NHL calls home."

Prof. McDonnell, who worked as a financial analyst and accountant at Madison Square Garden and Radio City Music Hall in New York, said there are "always going to be owners who shop their teams because the NHL over-expanded into markets they quite frankly don't belong in, especially in the U.S."

For example, Prof. McDonnell is skeptical of the league's move into such "interesting and unchartered" cities as Nashville and Columbus, where he says the vast majority of the community is employed by Ohio State, which supports football and basketball.

"I look at them, I shake my head and ask, ‘are they valuable, fruitful markets for the NHL?' "

In the end, Prof. McDonnell says, "Hockey is a tertiary sport in the U.S.," adding, "I think the NHL's lifeblood is Canada or more into the international markets than it is in the U.S."

In December, 2006, Mr. Balsillie withdrew his US$175-million offer to purchase the money-losing Pittsburgh Penguins after the NHL tried to impose a series of conditions on the sale of the team, including a clause that would have prevented Mr. Balsillie from relocating the Penguins for at least seven years.

Last year, his attempt to purchase the financially-crippled Nashville Predators for US$238-million ended in similar failure after the league refused to consider Mr. Balsillie's request for a consent to move the team at the same time the board of governors voted to approve his ownership.

Canada's federal Competition Bureau investigated the NHL's relocation practices and policies on ownership transfers last year. The anti-trust watchdog ruled on March 30 that the NHL's policies are not anti-competitive.

National Post

BCTed
Jun 4, 2008, 3:42 AM
Since last December, Mr. Balsillie, who has an estimated net worth of US$1.6-billion according to Forbes magazine, has both received and initiated approaches with the owners of NHL clubs, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

Nice article, but the market value of Jim Balsillie's RIM stake is currently in the $3.5 billion to $4 billion range.

FairHamilton
Jun 4, 2008, 1:05 PM
^Agree with you BCTed, $1.6B seemed to be a little low to me as well.

I like it when I'm right!! My post from April: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=140228&page=2

If the economy in the US is really as bad as recent reports and a recession is imminent (if not already present), I would say there may be a few NHL teams in financial difficulties. That would mean some US teams are going to go on the auction block, or face closing down.

Think about it, if you can’t get a network TV contract, sell out games and make money in good times, how are things going to be in bad times. Hockey is really a fringe sport in many US markets (much of the US) and after 20+ years (some would say 30+) of trying to gain traction is not even near critical mass and acceptance in the public’s attention.

Perhaps the economy will finally force the NHL’s hand. Here's hoping.......

Berklon
Jun 4, 2008, 1:36 PM
"...several represent NHL teams in the southern United States, including the Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning and Dallas Stars".

Pretty sad when 3 of those teams have won a cup in the last 8 seasons and they're looking to sell.

oldcoote
Jun 4, 2008, 2:08 PM
"...several represent NHL teams in the southern United States, including the Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning and Dallas Stars".

Pretty sad when 3 of those teams have won a cup in the last 8 seasons and they're looking to sell.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. Dallas and Tampa Bay draw well (both are in the top half of the league in attendance).

I think Atlanta is definitely a candidate, as is Florida and Phoenix.

Berklon
Jun 4, 2008, 2:34 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. Dallas and Tampa Bay draw well (both are in the top half of the league in attendance).

I noticed that as well, but they're looking to sell... so they must not be making much money in any case. We have to remember, just because they're selling out or have good attendance doesn't mean they're generating a lot of revenue from ticket sales. Ticket prices might be pretty cheap in order to draw in the crowds. Plus their local TV might not be generating much revenue (nevermind the fact that their cut from the embarrassing national TV contract is a joke).

raisethehammer
Jun 4, 2008, 2:43 PM
I'd love to lose 15 teams overnight. Move a few to Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec and let hockey get back to being a real sport again.
Not this sissy version they're playing these days.
I'm glad CBC's ratings are down...I haven't watched, and I won't. The NHL sucks.
Having said that, bring on a team to the Hammer!! haha. It would be awesome for downtown.

oldcoote
Jun 4, 2008, 2:44 PM
I noticed that as well, but they're looking to sell... so they must not be making much money in any case. We have to remember, just because they're selling out or have good attendance doesn't mean they're generating a lot of revenue from ticket sales. Ticket prices might be pretty cheap in order to draw in the crowds. Plus their local TV might not be generating much revenue (nevermind the fact that their cut from the embarrassing national TV contract is a joke).

The NHL will always be a gate driven league in the U.S., but you may be right about the correlation between ticket sales and revenue. Look at this:

http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/080530_nhl_tickets_revenue.pdf

Interesting stuff.

Dallas's season ticket sales fell by 4000 since 2001. Still at 12,500, but that's cause for alarm.

SteelTown
Jun 4, 2008, 2:53 PM
According to the news Balsillie did take a serious look at Phoenix but much like Nashville the team is hooked for the arena for a certain period of time.

Gurnett71
Jun 4, 2008, 3:27 PM
Nice article, but the market value of Jim Balsillie's RIM stake is currently in the $3.5 billion to $4 billion range.

As of the end of April, Basillie holds approximately 34,276,000 shares of RIM. On paper, he is worth over $4.7 Billion today for those holdings alone--probably some unexercised options out there as well.

HAMRetrofit
Jun 4, 2008, 4:01 PM
Should be interesting what happens with these teams married to their stadium clauses. How much financial loss are these owners willing withstand. They will probably need to fold their teams entirely.

oldcoote
Jun 4, 2008, 4:11 PM
According to the news Balsillie did take a serious look at Phoenix but much like Nashville the team is hooked for the arena for a certain period of time.

I think there's an $800 million penalty to break the lease in Phoenix. It had to do with them building a new facility.

BCTed
Jun 5, 2008, 1:27 AM
As of the end of April, Basillie holds approximately 34,276,000 shares of RIM. On paper, he is worth over $4.7 Billion today for those holdings alone--probably some unexercised options out there as well.

That is certainly much higher than the figure quoted in the article ---- that seems like a bit of lazy journalism to me.

BCTed
Jun 5, 2008, 4:11 AM
Richard Rodier was on Prime Time Sports today and I just had a listen. A few points:

- He made it sound as if Hamilton is pretty well the only city that Jim Balsillie has targeted for re-location, which is just confirmation of something we have pretty well known since 2002 or 2003, when Rodier first came onto the scene. He suggested that Jim is very fond of "The Hammer" and that he is very keen on helping to revitalize a hurting city.

He was asked if JB would consider a purchase of the Toronto Maple Leafs if they ever became available, and his response, after a bit of waffling, was that he did not think so. He was also asked if places like Kitchener-Waterloo would be acceptable as a Plan B and he made it sound like such a Plan B was not in existence.

- He suggested that some kind of evidence would be coming out within the next week or so that would suggest that Gary Bettman would never allow Jim Balsillie to apply for a team without forcing him to agree to not attempt to move a team to southern Ontario for at least seven years.

- He has not been in touch with Gary Bettman or Bill Daly over the last year. It does not sound like JB's camp and the commissioner's camp are on very good terms.

- No specific plan to purchase any specific team is currently in place, but when asked if a deal could come together by September, he suggested that something like that was very possible.

fastcarsfreedom
Jun 5, 2008, 6:37 AM
All interesting turns-of-events and what is shaping up to be an interesting few years ahead for the league, Jim Balsille and, potentially, Hamilton. The economic situation in the U.S. has definitely put more teams in play--even in some of the better-performing markets in the southern U.S. hockey appears for many to be discretionary entertainment--and thus, expendable in light of tough economic conditions--this obviously hurts that gate considerably. I was surprised to see Tampa on the list, which has been a highly successful franchise--unlike the Panthers who have faultered from the start on the other side of the state. Atlanta is no surprise at all. Nashville and Phoneix have their tricky leases--Phoneix (Glendale actually) spent lavishly to build what is now Jobing.com Arena after the America West Arena provided to be a really difficult place to play hockey in (despite having being built in 1992). If Balsille makes something work, and the economy finally forces Bettman's hand, it could be and would be a great day for Hamilton--something many of us have waited our whole lives for.

I do have to strongly disagree with the opinion on this board that the game has become "Americanized" or is becoming increasingly milquetoast. The just completed Pittsburgh-Detroit series was fantastic, physical and fast. Detroit, which has had great success over the past decade is a deserving franchise with committed ownership and a great legacy as part of the league's history--the Red Wings represent everything that's right with the NHL as far as the U.S. market goes...granted they are more exception than rule.

Would certainly be interesting to see what changes would be in store for Copps...capcity may be an issue--however, it's important to note that the trend in new-builds have been back down after the 20,000+ frenzy of the 1990s--the Devils' new facility, Prudential Center seats only 17,000+ for hockey...about the same as the Igloo...which Pittsburgh is so anxious to get out of.

the dude
Jun 5, 2008, 7:38 AM
there will have to be some contraction of teams in the nhl. there just aren't enough legitimate hockey markets for all these faltering franchises to relocate to - hamilton, winnipeg and quebec...that's it. teams might succeed in portland or seattle but i don't think there's any serious interest at this time. kansas city? not a legit hockey market - go scouts! las vegas? get real. another toronto-based team? perhaps. imo, the nhl is going to become much smaller in a big hurry.

SteelTown
Jun 5, 2008, 11:18 AM
Don't count Balsillie out
BlackBerry billionaire determined to bring NHL club to Hamilton

June 05, 2008
John Kernaghan
The Hamilton Spectator

A combination of a weakened American dollar and sagging economy combined with robust revenues from Canada's National Hockey League teams is heating up the issue of U.S. based teams moving to Canada.

And that puts Hamilton and Winnipeg back on the front burner with NHL Players Association head Paul Kelly naming the two cities as prime candidates for relocated U.S. franchises.

Meantime, on the heels of a Toronto Star account that Canada's six teams contribute almost one-third of the 30-team league's ticket revenues, The National Post reports that up to eight NHL teams have been in discussions or have approached BlackBerry billionaire Jim Balsillie about a sale of a franchise or minority ownership.

Meantime, Balsillie's Hamilton friend, Ron Foxcroft, says the RIM mogul seems determined to bring a team to Hamilton.

"Ten years ago I said anyone who wanted to bring an NHL team needed to be on medication. But he's the exception. I wouldn't bet against him."

Another element that could be moving in Balsillie's direction is that the man who seems determined to block his Steeltown aspirations, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, may be losing the confidence of owners.

With a disproportionate chunk of live-gate money coming from Canada, 31 per cent, on top of minimal TV revenue in the U.S., Canadian teams are now subsidizing some Southern U.S. teams.

And the man who brokered the deal which kept the Nashville Predators out of Balsillie's hands last year, William (Boots) Del Baggio, faces two lawsuits for acts of fraud in obtaining loans and seems to have gone underground.

The NHL and the Predators have not clarified if Del Baggio actually put a promised $60 million into the franchise when a local ownership group assumed it.

That Nashville group was assembled after Balsillie began taking deposits on season-ticket packages for the team in Hamilton.

That was during the second of three reported attempts by buy teams and move one to Hamilton.

Balsillie broke off negotiations to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2006 when the league said he could not move the team.

And the Post claimed his plan to buy and move the Buffalo Sabres fell apart for the same reason late last year.

The billionaire, a passionate Canadian and hockey fan, still has to resolve the territorial rights of Toronto Maple Leafs and the Sabres if he tries to move a team.

Richard Rodier, a special adviser to Balsillie, confirmed to the Post that there have been negotiations with current NHL owners, though he declined to name them.

Hamilton councillor Terry Whitehead, the city's pointman on NHL matters, says he keeps in "indirect" touch with Balsillie.

The high-tech magnate has let his exclusivity agreement for leasing Copps Coliseum lapse, Whitehead said, but "there's no other candidate right now and we're interested and open for business."

raisethehammer
Jun 5, 2008, 2:23 PM
anyone who can stick it to Bettman is a good man in my books.
Bettman blows.

oldcoote
Jun 5, 2008, 2:56 PM
All interesting turns-of-events and what is shaping up to be an interesting few years ahead for the league, Jim Balsille and, potentially, Hamilton. The economic situation in the U.S. has definitely put more teams in play--even in some of the better-performing markets in the southern U.S. hockey appears for many to be discretionary entertainment--and thus, expendable in light of tough economic conditions--this obviously hurts that gate considerably. I was surprised to see Tampa on the list, which has been a highly successful franchise--unlike the Panthers who have faultered from the start on the other side of the state. Atlanta is no surprise at all. Nashville and Phoneix have their tricky leases--Phoneix (Glendale actually) spent lavishly to build what is now Jobing.com Arena after the America West Arena provided to be a really difficult place to play hockey in (despite having being built in 1992). If Balsille makes something work, and the economy finally forces Bettman's hand, it could be and would be a great day for Hamilton--something many of us have waited our whole lives for.

I do have to strongly disagree with the opinion on this board that the game has become "Americanized" or is becoming increasingly milquetoast. The just completed Pittsburgh-Detroit series was fantastic, physical and fast. Detroit, which has had great success over the past decade is a deserving franchise with committed ownership and a great legacy as part of the league's history--the Red Wings represent everything that's right with the NHL as far as the U.S. market goes...granted they are more exception than rule.

Would certainly be interesting to see what changes would be in store for Copps...capcity may be an issue--however, it's important to note that the trend in new-builds have been back down after the 20,000+ frenzy of the 1990s--the Devils' new facility, Prudential Center seats only 17,000+ for hockey...about the same as the Igloo...which Pittsburgh is so anxious to get out of.

Some great points, although I found much of the Finals to be rather lopsided and uninteresting unless you're a Red Wings fan. They were clearly the better team. Congrats to them.

Capacity at Copps would be fine for an NHL team, although it would require some extensive remodelling to allow for private suites. I think everyone realizes that the Bell Centre in Montreal is too big for hockey at 20,000 +. I think the capacity of the ACC is 18,000.

Bettman doesn't want Balsillie in the league because he is what Mark Cuban is to the NBA. He's a relatively young, self made, passionate fan for whom a team is much more than an investment. He would be a fabulous owner for the fans, but a pain in the ass for the league. I am a born and bred Leaf fan, but it wouldn't be difficult for me to throw my support behind a Hamilton franchise.

Just allow me to get downtown via LRT and all would be fine.

fastcarsfreedom
Jun 5, 2008, 4:48 PM
Yes, Bettman blows, no argument here. He's made his impact in his time with the league, or, done his damage if you will--the holy grail that was a U.S. TV deal has fallen apart and if there are actually as many disaffected owners as the media is now reporting, it would be a joyful day if they threw the twerp out on his ass.

Of course Copps would require extensive work in order to be revenue-positive. The Bell Centre actually tops out at over 21,000--too large perhaps, but the Canadiens gate is absolutely epic and their contribution to revenue-sharing props up more than a few other teams.

FairHamilton
Jun 5, 2008, 6:12 PM
Of course Copps would require extensive work in order to be revenue-positive. The Bell Centre actually tops out at over 21,000--too large perhaps, but the Canadiens gate is absolutely epic and their contribution to revenue-sharing props up more than a few other teams.

I think a team in Hamilton could sell out 21,000 every game, based on the catch basin for a Hamilton team and the interest in the hockey in the area. I agree that Copps is dated and would expect a new arena being needed within 5 years of a team landing in Hamilton. That's the big risk to Hamilton: Where will that arena be built? Downtown, suburbs, K-W................

I think a Hamilton team would be a boost to Toronto and interest in hockey in this market. Look at the Toronto - Ottawa rivalry, and multiply it by 10 for a Toronto - Hamilton rivalry. A Hamilton - Buffalo rivalry might also materialize, but my belief is the Sabres might be hurt as many in our area who travel to Buffalo for a game would redirect their attendence to Hamilton.

I think Hamilton would be a great middle to upper middle of the pack revenue team in the NHL.

SteelTown
Jun 5, 2008, 9:36 PM
Richard Rodier was on Prime Time Sports today and I just had a listen. A few points:

- He made it sound as if Hamilton is pretty well the only city that Jim Balsillie has targeted for re-location, which is just confirmation of something we have pretty well known since 2002 or 2003, when Rodier first came onto the scene. He suggested that Jim is very fond of "The Hammer" and that he is very keen on helping to revitalize a hurting city.

He was asked if JB would consider a purchase of the Toronto Maple Leafs if they ever became available, and his response, after a bit of waffling, was that he did not think so. He was also asked if places like Kitchener-Waterloo would be acceptable as a Plan B and he made it sound like such a Plan B was not in existence.

- He suggested that some kind of evidence would be coming out within the next week or so that would suggest that Gary Bettman would never allow Jim Balsillie to apply for a team without forcing him to agree to not attempt to move a team to southern Ontario for at least seven years.

- He has not been in touch with Gary Bettman or Bill Daly over the last year. It does not sound like JB's camp and the commissioner's camp are on very good terms.

- No specific plan to purchase any specific team is currently in place, but when asked if a deal could come together by September, he suggested that something like that was very possible.

Here's a link to listen to this interview....

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/media.jsp?content=20080604_193510_3836

Jim refers to Hamilton as "The Hammer" lol.

raisethehammer
Jun 5, 2008, 9:42 PM

wow...great stuff.
Bettman can't go on much longer like this.
Now he has the players association in support of JB and the idea of a team in Hamilton.
The dollar is on par with US dollar and we hear that 33% of ticket revenue in the league comes from 6 Canadian teams (yes, in a league of 30).
It's common sense (which explains why Bettman is in the opposite camp) and it will happen eventually. Whether the nerdy, non-athletic loser is still around to see it is another story.
I can only hope for this - WHEN the Hammer gets an NHL team and Bettman comes for opening night to do some stupid speech, I will pay an insane sum of money to get into that building and I'll boo so loud that I can't talk for a week.
What a deafening sound it would be if that day happens. He'd be nuts to ever step foot on a Hamilton rink and open his dweeby little mouth.
What a joyous moment it would be.:notacrook:

fastcarsfreedom
Jun 6, 2008, 1:00 AM
Long live the Prince of Wales and Campbell Conferences.

If the word is in the wind that Balsille could come to Hamilton and have a reasonably successful franchise (in terms of Canadian teams) it's an easy win for the rest of the owners (with two possible exceptions)--revenue sharing and the income Canadian franchises get from TV means higher revenues (potentially) for everyone. I remember seeing a TV news report on the amount the Habs pay into revenue sharing the last time I was in MTL--can't remember the specific numbers--but they were staggering.

Anyone else pick up on this pissing match over the rights to the HNIC theme music? As soon as I heard the reports this morning I figured it was the composer's people turning up the heat to strike a richer deal with the CBC. I would HATE to have to see HNIC without that iconic music--however, I give some credit to the network for not wanting to be taken to the cleaners...Hello Canada, and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland...

raisethehammer
Jun 6, 2008, 1:47 AM
I know...I can't believe that we might not hear that theme song again.
Crazy.

They pay $500.00 EVERY time they play that tune (wow...that chick must be raking it in).
I'm not sure if she's trying to up the price or if they've had enough with $500.00 per usage.
Still, that will suck if they can't use it anymore.

BCTed
Jun 6, 2008, 2:10 AM
There are rumours that Del Biaggio, who appears to be in some kind of financial distress and may be ready to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy, offered to sell his stake in the Predators to Balsillie. Balsillie was apparently interested, but the whole thing was apparently scuttled by Gary Bettman.

This appears to be the story that Richard Rodier was hinting about. It appears that the expectation is that Bettman's move will cause a big stink among owners.

FairHamilton
Jun 6, 2008, 2:13 AM
Crazy.

They pay $500.00 EVERY time they play that tune (wow...that chick must be raking it in).
I'm not sure if she's trying to up the price or if they've had enough with $500.00 per usage.
Still, that will suck if they can't use it anymore.

Royalties are king!!!! I heard Mel Torme would get at cheque for $250,000 every July because that is when they paid the royalties on a song he co-wrote called, The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)............... And that is re-occuring revenue.

CBC will pick it up again. Just like the Ron Maclean contract negotiations, there will be a public outcry and they will cave and pay whatever it takes......... Anyways, that is my prediction.

fastcarsfreedom
Jun 6, 2008, 3:22 AM
Agreed FairHamilton--I would shocked if they don't pick it up--sadly the tactics of the organization that represents the composer will be effective. They released their statement this morning, but the CBC has come back and said that it's all news to them--as far as CBC Sports was concerned negotiations were still ongoing...too bad they hadn't bought the rights outright years ago--assuming she was willing to sell.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this supposed upheaval amongst some of the U.S. franchises--in the past they have given lukewarm support to Bettman's efforts to ensure there were no additional Canadian franchises--but after 15 odd years I think it's fair to say that the sport is simply not going to explode outside of it's traditional U.S. markets...and as such, a lucrative U.S. TV deal is simply never going to happen. If things get dire enough and there are teams in danger of folding--is that the game changer that opens the door to more Canadian teams? Borrowing is a tough game these days--so selling franchises would obviously be an uphill battle. The ultimate dream would be teams back in QC and the Peg, as well as Hamilton...like I said...that's a fantasy--but realistically...if we can get a team in Copps...the rest would merely be gravy.

beanmedic
Jun 6, 2008, 3:26 AM
According to a news article I read today, $500 per use is the amount that has always been charged. The person holding the rights is not trying to raise the amount, but simply to renew the agreement.

Nutterbug
Jun 6, 2008, 6:31 AM
Atlanta is no surprise at all.

Atlanta Flames pt. II.

Do those nimrods ever learn from history?

Berklon
Jun 6, 2008, 10:05 AM
Atlanta Flames pt. II.

Do those nimrods ever learn from history?

Nope... and that is why they'll put a team in Kansas City again and in a couple years we'll call them the "Kansas City Scouts pt. II".

It's amazing that the state of Missouri will have the same number of hockey teams as Ontario (2) and will have one more than the province of Quebec. Ya know, because when everyone thinks of hockey you can't help think of Missouri. :rolleyes:

oldcoote
Jun 6, 2008, 1:51 PM

Just download it from iTunes. :tup:

FairHamilton
Jun 6, 2008, 2:06 PM
Just download it from iTunes. :tup:

And you can listen to it all the time for only $0.99, not $500 per play ;)

I once heard the Shuffle Demons play the song in concert, it was pretty amazing.

The Shuffle Demons, now I'm showing my age :D

raisethehammer
Jun 6, 2008, 2:15 PM
Nope... and that is why they'll put a team in Kansas City again and in a couple years we'll call them the "Kansas City Scouts pt. II".

It's amazing that the state of Missouri will have the same number of hockey teams as Ontario (2) and will have one more than the province of Quebec. Ya know, because when everyone thinks of hockey you can't help think of Missouri. :rolleyes:

haha...it's funny and pathetic at the same time.

Gurnett71
Jun 6, 2008, 2:24 PM
The Shuffle Demons, now I'm showing my age :D

Spa, spa, spa, spadina bus!!:tup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZnLjRi_g9o

SteelTown
Jun 7, 2008, 6:23 PM
REPORT: DEL BIAGGIO TRIED TO SELL PREDS' STAKE TO BALSILLIE

Jim Balsillie appears to have been shut out once again in his attempt to buy his way into the National Hockey League.

According to a report in the Toronto Star, financier and Nashville Predators' minority owner Williams "Boots" Del Biaggio denied in his attempt to sell Balsillie his 27 per cent stake in the Predators in order to liquidate some of his assets. Del Biaggio has recently been accused of loan fraud and has filed for personal Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.

"(It's) another public relations campaign," Bill Daly, the NHL's deputy commissioner, told the Star via email.

"The league doesn't decide anything. The board of governors decides. I would imagine, however, that every potential seller must take into consideration the `approvability' of the potential buyer. Given the track record we have with this particular potential buyer, I'm not sure a healthy dose of skepticism on the `approvability' factor isn't warranted."

However, Richard Rodier, Balsillie's legal adviser, say the Research-in-Motion founder has the support of other NHL owners.

"I think clearly the commissioner's office is skeptical, more than skeptical," said Rodier. "As for individual owners .. we've had messages of support from a lot of individual owners."

Balsillie failed in an attempt last year to purchase the Predators and move them to Hamilton, Ontario.

FairHamilton
Jun 7, 2008, 7:27 PM
REPORT: DEL BIAGGIO TRIED TO SELL PREDS' STAKE TO BALSILLIE

Jim Balsillie appears to have been shut out once again in his attempt to buy his way into the National Hockey League.

According to a report in the Toronto Star, financier and Nashville Predators' minority owner Williams "Boots" Del Biaggio denied in his attempt to sell Balsillie his 27 per cent stake in the Predators in order to liquidate some of his assets. Del Biaggio has recently been accused of loan fraud and has filed for personal Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.

"(It's) another public relations campaign," Bill Daly, the NHL's deputy commissioner, told the Star via email.

"The league doesn't decide anything. The board of governors decides. I would imagine, however, that every potential seller must take into consideration the `approvability' of the potential buyer. Given the track record we have with this particular potential buyer, I'm not sure a healthy dose of skepticism on the `approvability' factor isn't warranted."

However, Richard Rodier, Balsillie's legal adviser, say the Research-in-Motion founder has the support of other NHL owners.

"I think clearly the commissioner's office is skeptical, more than skeptical," said Rodier. "As for individual owners .. we've had messages of support from a lot of individual owners."

Balsillie failed in an attempt last year to purchase the Predators and move them to Hamilton, Ontario.

I really hope a NHL Team south of the border folds. Just closes down. Well, most like the league would take it over. That would seem to be the only way for them to get the message: There are cities out there that want, and will support a NHL Team.

Keeping teams in the US won't get the NHL that elusive U.S. TV contract, well at least it hasn't so far.

FairHamilton
Jun 9, 2008, 8:39 PM
Royalties are king!!!! I heard Mel Torme would get at cheque for $250,000 every July because that is when they paid the royalties on a song he co-wrote called, The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)............... And that is re-occuring revenue.

CBC will pick it up again. Just like the Ron Maclean contract negotiations, there will be a public outcry and they will cave and pay whatever it takes......... Anyways, that is my prediction.

I guess I got that one wrong: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/06/09/hnic-song.html?ref=rss

Who saw that coming???? But it definitely makes sense that CBC wasn't interested in buying the song in perpetuity as they won't have HNIC in perpetuity. Looks to me like the agency that was negotiating on behalf of the composer was perhaps using the CBC as a level to get more $$$ out of CBC.

DC83
Sep 12, 2008, 10:51 PM
Gretzky on NHL expansion:
(from Sep 12 2008)

The part owner and coach of the Phoenix Coyotes says he isn't sure if the NHL will ever add another Canadian franchise but does think there would be a market for one in Southwestern Ontario.

"I don't think there's any question that Hamilton or Kitchener or that area, that region, could definitely support a National Hockey League team," said Gretzky. "It's one of those things where there's so much red tape ...

"Down the road, I can possibly see a team in Hamilton or Kitchener being part of the National Hockey League. ... These kind of things have a way of working themselves out."

full article:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/09/12/hamilton_gretzky/

NorthEndRules
Sep 13, 2008, 3:58 AM
It's been a dissapointing 2 years. First with the Predators not coming up and the Connaught not moving forward. Maybe Gretzky can bring the Coyotes up to Hamilton. He's originally from Brantford isn't he. I would nominate him to deity status for sure.

Berklon
Sep 30, 2008, 3:12 AM
Talk is JB is closing in on a deal to purchase Boots Del Biaggio’s 20 per cent stake in the Predators.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/09/29/balsillie_predators/

If true, this gives JB a much better chance of moving the team to Hamilton as he'll be working from the inside. The monster financial meltdown in the US increases his odds as well.

BCTed
Sep 30, 2008, 9:04 AM
Talk is JB is closing in on a deal to purchase Boots Del Biaggio’s 20 per cent stake in the Predators.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/09/29/balsillie_predators/

If true, this gives JB a much better chance of moving the team to Hamilton as he'll be working from the inside. The monster financial meltdown in the US increases his odds as well.

The source of the rumour is Bob McCown of the Fan 590 and he claims that Balsillie is close to purchasing a majority of the team rather than just 20 percent of it. McCown claims that the sale is "virtually complete" and could be announced at any time. However, both Balsillie's camp and the Nashville ownership group are denying that they have had any contact at all.

I don't know that you can say that what is happening in the US helps Balsillie. He has lost over a billion dollars in paper net worth over the last couple of trading days and tightened credit markets would probably make it more difficult rather than easier for him to secure the financing necessary to purchase something as big as an NHL team.

Let's see what happens!

Berklon
Sep 30, 2008, 1:05 PM
I don't know that you can say that what is happening in the US helps Balsillie. He has lost over a billion dollars in paper net worth over the last couple of trading days and tightened credit markets would probably make it more difficult rather than easier for him to secure the financing necessary to purchase something as big as an NHL team.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I guess it comes down to how the NHL will weather the storm compared to how JB will. They'll both get hit, but we don't yet know by how much.

In any case, I'd anxious to hear the developments in this (if revealed to be true). A team in Hamilton can go a long way in helping this city and in turn can really help the NHL.

SteelTown
Oct 1, 2008, 2:29 AM
Balsillie back in Predators picture
Twice-spurned NHL suitor has competition for 27-per-cent share of team up for grabs in bankruptcy court

DAVID SHOALTS AND SEAN GORDON
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

September 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM EDT

Jim Balsillie has competition for the minority share of the Nashville Predators once held by the disgraced William (Boots) Del Biaggio.

Herb Fritch, a minority partner in the NHL team, plus two other sources told The Globe and Mail Tuesday the Predators ownership group headed by majority owner David Freeman has bid for Del Biaggio's 27-per-cent share of the team, which is under the control of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in San Francisco.

Del Biaggio was supposedly investigated and approved by the NHL as a prospective owner after the league rejected a bid for the team from Balsillie, the co-founder of Canadian-based Research In Motion Ltd.

Del Biaggio lost control of his share when he filed for bankruptcy last June. He has been accused of fraud by several lenders and is facing a multitude of lawsuits seeking upward of $170-million (all currency U.S.).

Balsillie's lawyer, Richard Rodier, declined to comment. A Predators spokesman said Freeman also has no comment.

Fritch, the chief executive officer of HealthSpring Inc., a health-care company based in Nashville, said purchasing Del Biaggio's share would increase the value of the franchise, which cost the partners $176-million when it was purchased from Craig Leipold last year.

Fritch also said, “There are some governance issues we could clarify easier.”

One source said the bid for the 27-per-cent stake is for $20-million. In Del Biaggio's bankruptcy filing, the share is said to be worth $23.5-million, and is his biggest single asset. Fritch declined to say how much the partners bid, but admitted it was at a discount to the stated value.

There is ample evidence, however, that Balsillie would not be afraid to make a much higher bid.

Before he was rejected as a potential owner by the NHL because he made no secret about his plans to move the Predators to Hamilton, Balsillie had agreed to pay Leipold $238-million for the team.

Fritch said the bankruptcy trustee may not be able to simply sell to the highest bidder. He said there are two complications: Balsillie's bid would have to be approved first by the rest of the Predators' owners, and then by the NHL's board of governors.

“I believe our group has to approve any sale of those shares, so we have some control over who gets them,” Fritch said, before adding he was not sure if that right would hold up in bankruptcy court.

“I don't care what the amount [of the bid] is, it's got to be approved by the powers that be,” he said. “I think the bankruptcy trustee has to take that into account.”

Del Biaggio once claimed his shares included the right to buy out the other partners if certain financial obligations were not met.

That is crucial to any potential bid by Balsillie, who would need full control to take advantage of clauses in the Predators' arena lease that allow the team to move by the end of the 2009-10 season if attendance targets are not met and the team loses a total of $20-million over three seasons.

While Freeman has said there is no such right, sources say it might have to be decided by the bankruptcy court.

Todd Neilson, the bankruptcy trustee, would not say who has filed a bid for the shares. When asked via e-mail if he was bound to accept the highest bid, Neilson did not respond.

If the partners succeed in buying the Del Biaggio shares, they will own 95.4 per cent of the team. The remainder is in the hands of Warren Woo, who bought 30 per cent of the franchise in partnership with Del Biaggio.

In any event, it looks like it will be a long time before the winning bid is announced. Del Biaggio's court problems are complicated and it looks like a long, bitter fight is ahead.

Del Biaggio's labyrinthine business dealings are detailed in the increasingly fractious and complicated bankruptcy proceeding that continues to grind on in a San Francisco court. (Del Biaggio is also the subject of a U.S. grand jury probe and a separate FBI criminal investigation.) There are more than three dozen creditors – including Washington Mutual, a savings and loan that went bust this week in what it being termed the largest bank collapse in U.S. history.

The various factions of creditors are squabbling with the bankruptcy trustee over whether they should have access to confidential filings and documents.

A lawyer for the trustee, John D. Fiero, said during a court proceeding in mid-August that they shouldn't because he is trying to protect “what the trustee is doing with regard to trying to tee up a sale of the hockey team.”

And the court-appointed trustee is even suing one of the creditors, a California-based family trust fund, alleging it is really a co-debtor of Del Biaggio's and should therefore return the portion he paid back of a $5-million loan.

According to court documents filed on Aug. 15, the fund, known as the Brandenburg Revocable Trust, lent the money to Del Biaggio on July 18, 2007, “so I [Del Biaggio] can make an offer to acquire the assets of the Predators.”

The loan was to expire 18 months later, at which point the fund could ask for money, or convert the loan into a 7.5-per-cent interest in the hockey team.

In a breezy letter to confirm the deal, Del Biaggio added a sweetener: If the trust converted the loan into equity, they would get an additional 10-per-cent cut on profits and bonuses.

But three weeks later, on Aug. 6, 2007, the Brandenburg trust suddenly called the loan, and received $4-million in November.

The catch? The trustee alleges Del Biaggio was already insolvent by then, and that he made the payments “for the benefit of Lee H. Brandenburg” – a trust administrator who referred to Del Biaggio as “dear Boots” and “a great partner and a great friend” in a letter calling the loan.

He also alluded to the Predators purchase as “a terrific deal.”

Brandenburg denied the allegations in a counter-claim filed last week, and continues to be listed as a creditor in the court file.

Another of Del Biaggio's creditors is a group of companies in which he once held major financial stakes – in a quirk of U.S. law, they are also listed as debtors, given his stocks.

And in a hearing before Northern California District Bankruptcy Court Judge Thomas E. Carlson, the lawyer for the group likened Del Biaggio's methods to “a Ponzi scheme” and speculated the flamboyant former venture capitalist could well confess to his misdeeds rather than drag out a criminal prosecution.

SteelTown
Oct 1, 2008, 11:46 AM
Bad news for U.S. economy good news for Hamilton?

STEPHEN BRUNT
sbrunt@globeandmail.com
October 1, 2008

And now, a little something to perhaps brighten your day in the face of all of those scary headlines: Could it be that an unexpected, happy consequence of the economic meltdown in the United States will be a second NHL franchise in Southern Ontario?

Hear this one out. It is clear now that, despite taking a severe haircut of his own over the past week (more than a half-billion dollars on his Research In Motion shares alone), Jim Balsillie is still fighting the good fight, and still determined to make NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's life miserable.

Stonewalled in previous attempts to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins and Nashville Predators, Balsillie remains steadfast in his pursuit of an NHL franchise, perhaps now through the bankruptcy courts, where the 27-per-cent interest in the Preds formerly held by alleged flim-flam man William (Boots) Del Biaggio is in play.

Getting from there to the opening faceoff at Hamilton's Copps Coliseum will be a tricky, complicated business.

But understand the reason Del Biaggio - who is now in bankruptcy protection, facing fraud lawsuits from several lenders and under investigation by the FBI - bought the stake (allegedly with other people's money) in the first place was his belief he could gain control of the team when it inevitably failed in Nashville and move it to Kansas City.

He went so far as to solicit investors based on that premise.

If Balsillie is indeed interested, he must have similar views - minus the Kansas City part - and he understands that by working through the bankruptcy courts he can't be derailed by NHL politics or the legal butt-covering that prompted Bettman to twice make sure a sale to Balsillie was never consummated.

But even if it doesn't work, even if Balsillie is stymied once again, it isn't the end of the quest. And the continuing U.S. economic crisis, though it may well shave down his personal fortune, is playing right into his hands.

Life is going to get tougher for all kinds of businesses, including those at the bottom end of the professional sports food chain. Franchises with cash-flow problems, franchises carrying significant debt, franchises in sports that don't provide television-money lifelines are going to struggle to survive.

Everyone understands there were at least four NHL teams that fit that description even before the stock markets imploded: the Florida Panthers, Atlanta Thrashers, Phoenix Coyotes and Nashville.

You can bet there are a few more now, absolutely thrilled to be hitched to a collective agreement that forces them to spend at least $41-million on player salaries this season.

To keep Balsillie out of Nashville, Bettman performed the finest sleight-of-hand manoeuvre in his term as commissioner: first persuading then-Predators owner Craig Leipold to forgo a once-in-a-lifetime chance to cash out, then finding Leipold a nice soft, profitable place to land with the Minnesota Wild, then bringing Del Biaggio into the mix after some apparently slapdash due diligence.

(That Leipold in turn loaned Del Biaggio money to buy his stake - money Leipold quite likely won't ever see again - makes the delicious circle complete.)

But just try doing that again. Soon enough, a beleaguered team owner unwilling to continue believing that prosperity is just around the corner is going to take Balsillie's cold hard cash and take his leave from professional hockey.

Could the league governors still reject Balsillie as an owner?

Well they could try, but presuming he meets their own rather loose standards (remember, the NHL leads all professional sports in the number of owners that have left in handcuffs), they would do so at the risk of legal action.

If Balsillie got his team, could they try to block him from moving it?

Well, again, they could try, but if he met the criteria for relocation laid out in the NHL constitution (the reason Balsillie began selling season-ticket futures in Hamilton when it looked like he'd landed the Preds), they'd be similarly inviting a trip to the courts. And the NHL has in the past done everything possible to prevent its territorial-rights provision from being put to a legal test.

So if Balsillie buys the Predators or another club, it's a reasonable bet it would eventually wind up where he wants it.

It's a reasonable bet, also, that in perilous, uncertain economic times, the house of cards that is NHL overexpansion is going to start shaking.

Bad news for somebody, somewhere. But for others, perhaps, an opportunity.

matt602
Oct 2, 2008, 12:38 AM
Good article that was.

fastcarsfreedom
Oct 2, 2008, 5:10 AM
No question the economic "tangle" in the U.S. is going to hurt the weaker NHL franchises--tickets are a lot more 'discretionary' in Atlanta, Nashville, Miami, etc -- than they are elsewhere in the league.

SteelTown
Oct 2, 2008, 11:37 AM
Balsillie unlikely to pursue Preds as 'minority owner': lawyer

October 02, 2008
Toronto Star
TORONTO

Media reports that Canadian businessman Jim Balsillie, who has long sought an National Hockey League franchise for southern Ontario, is again attempting to buy all or part of the Nashville Predators appear to be premature.

Reports surfaced that Balsillie, the co-founder of Waterloo-based Research In Motion Ltd., was close to either purchasing the Preds outright or making a bid for the 27-per-cent share of the team which is in the hands of a bankruptcy court. That share was held by William (Boots) Del Baggio, who filed for bankruptcy early this year, and is listed in court documents as being worth about $25-million US.

But sources yesterday indicated that linking Balsillie's name to the Preds in any ownership capacity at this time is misleading. One source said that to even suggest Balsillie is "kicking the tires" on potential financial involvement with the Nashville franchise is overstating the reality of the situation.

If such a move is being made, it's being done without the involvement of anyone at this end.

Hamilton Councillor Terry Whitehead, who has been front and centre in previous attempts, says he's heard absolutely nothing from Balsillie or his people.

As for the folks running Copps Coliseum, out of which any team would presumably play at least in the short term, it's the same story.

"We've had absolutely no contact," says HECFI CEO Duncan Gillespie.

This may or may not be significant, as during Balsillie's courtship of the Pittsburgh Penguins, a deal was in place that would've given him exclusive use of Copps. That deal expired and has never been renewed. However, it's clear from past hopes, that the decks would be cleared with little difficulty if the opportunity to bring a team to town materialized.

Richard Rodier, Balsillie's lawyer, said his camp expects that whoever purchases the outstanding 27 per cent of the Preds wouldn't have much control over the future of the franchise.

It would seem unlikely that Balsillie, given his desire to bring another NHL team to Canada, would pursue minority ownership in a club he could not ultimately control.

SteelTown
Oct 4, 2008, 4:00 PM
NHL may not avoid Balsillie much longer

October 04, 2008
Steve milton
The Hamilton Spectator

This entire, gooey, Nashville Predators mess is rooted in two places.

The first is the NHL's 20-year-old indiscriminate love affair with the sunshine belt, and the second is the league head office's almost-pathological disdain for a Hamilton franchise.

They combined to keep the Preds in Nashville and out of Jim Balsillie's hands, when neither makes sense.

And now, in an economic climate where they make even less sense, the NHL has to be very nervous that its inner workings could be aired in the public forum of a California bankruptcy court beginning Monday.

When the ownership group left holding the bag in the wake of Boots Del Biaggio's bankruptcy decided to join the list of lawsuits against him this week, it opened the door for many questions that the NHL might not be allowed to avoid. Such as, how was Del Biaggio directed to the local group who wanted to prevent the team moving? And by whom? And why?

And with L.A. Kings owner Phil Anschutz's company loaning $7 million to Del Biaggio, and outgoing Preds owner Craig Leopold loaning him another $10 million, how were the transactions not mentioned during the due diligence process? Surely the 11th-hour need for money, surpassing half the value of the investment, pointed to at the very least a lack of the deep pockets the NHL says it always seeks.

And if Anschutz and Leopold did pass that information along to the league, who did what with it? And what does that mean, in a legal situation involving fraud allegations?

Some marketing and legal people are surprised the Nashville ownership group, in default of a $40-million loan, is suing Del Biaggio for damages up to $100 million. While it might be the group's only chance to get at Del Biaggio's limited resources, it suggests a quickly sinking ship. Investors and sponsors always backpedal from instability, and nothing reeks of "temporary" like the Predators in Nashville.

Ownership says the franchise is not in dire straits, but we all learned long ago not to put any stock in anything anyone in the Predators-NHL loop says.

Remember, Del Biaggio denied to The Spectator speculation in this newspaper that he was overpaying for his shares so he could move the team to a rink in Kansas City managed by Anschutz's company. Then it turns out that he really did plan to move the team somewhere if he got full control.

Remember also, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was defiantly adamant that Del Biaggio's legal problems had no impact on the franchise. Four months later, the ownership's lawsuit interpreted "no impact" as a potential $100-million impact.

Meanwhile Balsillie, who retains his commitment to being a majority NHL owner, has been laying low. Richard Rodier, Balsillie's lawyer and spokesman, made all the salient points during Balsillie's original bid to buy the Preds 17 months ago.

Rodier denies that Balsillie has re-offered to buy the Predators outright.

"There's not a scintilla of truth to that," he reiterated yesterday.

But sources have also said that at least one other NHL owner has contacted Balsillie in recent weeks about purchasing his team, and there has been rumoured interest from a couple of other franchises as well. There is also an unnamed bidder for the $40 million debt the ownership group has with an American institutional lender, but it's not known if Balsillie is that potential purchaser.

Rodier isn't commenting on any of those issues, but it's clear that the anti-Balsillie sentiment isn't as widespread among league governors as was painted a year ago.

It's entirely likely Balsillie and Rodier have also spent some time getting to know a few owners, trying to reverse the demonization of Balsillie that emitted from head office during the aborted Pittsburgh and Nashville purchases.

The NHL will continue to frame its actions around the Predators as a well-intentioned rescue process, as it did successfully in Ottawa, Buffalo and Edmonton, but not in Quebec City and Winnipeg.

But, from the few peeks we've had behind the curtain, the motivation here doesn't appear to be quite that pure.

Much of the Nashville morass was predicted in general terms more than a year ago by certain cynical observers, including The Spec. The consortium of Del Biaggio and the local citizens group paid about $40 million less than Balsillie had agreed to pay, but still forked over significantly more than the franchise's true value.

The whole thing didn't pass the smell test. What remains to be determined is how much fire was behind the wisp of smoke. It may never be determined, but protracted legal battles are likely to bring to light things that would have remained forever in the dark.

Although Del Biaggio contacted him in June about buying out his shares, Balsillie has kept his distance, at least publicly, and hasn't thrown any gas on the fire. That's in his best interests, because if there was anything untowards in the Preds' purchase, the current partners will try to ferret it out. Balsillie doesn't have to and he may well end up as the soft landing place for the Preds - or another struggling franchise.

And there must be a number of NHL owners who are wondering why they were convinced to stand so firmly in Balsillie's path during his initial purchase bid.

How a guy who has the money and really loves the game was rejected from the lodge, while a schmoozer sailed through the front door, is just one of a number of uncomfortable questions the NHL faces the next few months.