PDA

View Full Version : Halifax Transit

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Halifax Hillbilly
Oct 27, 2007, 1:15 PM
It's time for a thread to discuss our mass transit system.

How widespread is over-crowding? The last couple of months have to be the worst I've ever seen in Halifax. The 1, 7, 20, and 52 are all consistently full during rush hour, and many routes are leaving people behind because there is no space. What other routes are busy, and how long until we get some service upgrades to deal with this? I can't remember the last time there was an upgrade on the 1 but this route has been overcapacity for years.

hfx_chris
Oct 27, 2007, 3:39 PM
Anybody could tell you why buses are getting more crowded in the last couple of months: school. Routes 1 and 7 are both university routes, the 52 services an NSCC campus in Bayers Lake (and a call centre near Burnside) both of which can be busy at peak times. And of course it only makes sense that routes like the 20 would get busier; all of those univeristy students have to get home.

As far as how Metro Transit is dealing with it, they took delivery of 25 new buses earlier this year and are currently taking delivery of 25 more. Of course that means some of them are for replacements. I know at least 9 buses were retired when the 25 came earlier this year, and I'm expecting at least another 5-10 to be taken out of service in the next few months.
That's still a lot of new buses, so expect some service improvements in the coming months. The next scheduled service improvement is in late November, so if they're going to increase frequency on any routes it would happen then.
I know last August they created a new route 16 Parkland, which goes from the Dartmouth bridge terminal (Sportsplex) to Mount Saint Vincent (and Clayton Park West beyond that) via the MacKay Bridge, something I know a number of people have been asking for for years.

Edit: I forgot to mention there's also rumours of additional MetroLink buses being ordered, with a few possibly being articulated ("bendy" buses). I know they've been pushing for that in Sackville due to heavy loads, and Metro Transit also wants to add MetroLink service to other areas.

Halifax Hillbilly
Oct 27, 2007, 5:11 PM
Anybody could tell you why buses are getting more crowded in the last couple of months: school. Routes 1 and 7 are both university routes, the 52 services an NSCC campus in Bayers Lake (and a call centre near Burnside) both of which can be busy at peak times. And of course it only makes sense that routes like the 20 would get busier; all of those univeristy students have to get home.

As far as how Metro Transit is dealing with it, they took delivery of 25 new buses earlier this year and are currently taking delivery of 25 more. Of course that means some of them are for replacements. I know at least 9 buses were retired when the 25 came earlier this year, and I'm expecting at least another 5-10 to be taken out of service in the next few months.
That's still a lot of new buses, so expect some service improvements in the coming months. The next scheduled service improvement is in late November, so if they're going to increase frequency on any routes it would happen then.
I know last August they created a new route 16 Parkland, which goes from the Dartmouth bridge terminal (Sportsplex) to Mount Saint Vincent (and Clayton Park West beyond that) via the MacKay Bridge, something I know a number of people have been asking for for years.

Edit: I forgot to mention there's also rumours of additional MetroLink buses being ordered, with a few possibly being articulated ("bendy" buses). I know they've been pushing for that in Sackville due to heavy loads, and Metro Transit also wants to add MetroLink service to other areas.

Dave McCusker (head of transportation planning) in HRM spoke at my transportation planning course. New MetroLink routes are not likely within the next year or two the way he was talking. Articulated buses on the MetroLink would be great as ridership continues to grow.

The crowding on the 1 is definetly university students, but I'm not sure it's the major factor on other routes. The 7 is packed with Citadel High students, and the 20 is busiest between Mumford Terminal and Spryfield. There's sometimes 30-40 people getting on the 20 at Mumford. These are only the routes that I know get crowded but there are definetly some peak hour buses coming in from the suburbs that are full up with commuters. Ridership is up across the board.

I'm interested in what they'll do in November. Service upgrades would be great but they've had problems on the 1 for at least a couple of years now but haven't put more capacity on the route. I'm not too optimistic, I think it could be months before they catch up with the capacity problems. Hopefully they stop expanding service for a while to catch up with the problems on their busiest routes.

Keith P.
Oct 27, 2007, 5:39 PM
I find it hard to believe the #1 is overcrowded because it seems to run every 5 minutes or so. Back when I lived downtown it was never very busy because it ran so (I felt TOO) frequently.

By far the worst route in terms of overcrowding over the years has to be the #10, which is simply a torture test for the regular rider. It also serves the universities int he south end, then loops downtown to pick up workers, then heads to Dartmouth and is the only route that serves the area north and east of the Sportsplex such as Woodland, MicMac Mall, and Main street. It is simply ridiculous both in terms of undercapacity and in terms of route design.

Wishblade
Oct 27, 2007, 5:58 PM
MetroLink is so successful, there should be more routes added to different parts of the city. I use the one to and from Portland Hills everyday and ridership is excellent. They aren't to the point of overcrowding yet, but that can change in the near future.

I think a MetroLink terminal in Bedford or Hammonds Plains might be worth the city looking into. But to be honest, it isnt an urgent need. Other issues need more attention right now like adding more busses to the busiest routes.

someone123
Oct 27, 2007, 6:41 PM
Has there been any news related to the new ferries? A high speed ferry, if it worked properly, would be the next best thing to commuter rail from Bedford. I think there would be high demand if they connected it properly to buses running out to Hammonds Plains on one side and Sackville/Fall River on the other.

Halifax Hillbilly
Oct 27, 2007, 7:30 PM
I find it hard to believe the #1 is overcrowded because it seems to run every 5 minutes or so. Back when I lived downtown it was never very busy because it ran so (I felt TOO) frequently.

By far the worst route in terms of overcrowding over the years has to be the #10, which is simply a torture test for the regular rider. It also serves the universities int he south end, then loops downtown to pick up workers, then heads to Dartmouth and is the only route that serves the area north and east of the Sportsplex such as Woodland, MicMac Mall, and Main street. It is simply ridiculous both in terms of undercapacity and in terms of route design.

The 1 runs every ten minutes in peak times, and every 15 minutes most of the rest of the day. And yes it's definetly overcrowded during peak times. People are consistently left behind most rush hours on the section along Coburg Rd. near Dal. It's really bad if it's low-floor buses, but people are still sometimes left behind on the older buses. The 1 is the only bus route in the city that covers it's costs.

Haven't ridden the 10 before but if it serves that large an area it makes sense it's crowded. That's a long way to go on a packed bus from downtown or the universities.

skyscraper_1
Oct 27, 2007, 10:26 PM
10 Westphal is definitely packed between 3:30-6pm. I usually catch the #1 past peek hours so it is usually never too full when I get on. # 52 runs frequently during the evening rushhour, so the only time it is really full is when Converges has a major change in shifts.

Halifax Hillbilly
Oct 29, 2007, 7:50 PM
Has there been any news related to the new ferries? A high speed ferry, if it worked properly, would be the next best thing to commuter rail from Bedford. I think there would be high demand if they connected it properly to buses running out to Hammonds Plains on one side and Sackville/Fall River on the other.

I think a high speed ferry would be better than commuter rail: similar speeds on a more direct route.

The city is trying to get a higher level of government to partner with them to help cover the initial costs. I wouldn't expect anything soon.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 29, 2007, 8:09 PM
I created a thread for the fast ferry.

hfx_chris
Oct 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
Yes but ferries are limited to servicing certain areas, namely areas adjacent to water. Ferries can't serve Timberlea, Beaver Bank, Windsor Junction/Fall River or Hammonds Plains.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 29, 2007, 10:55 PM
I'm all for rail that would support the whole HRM, the city would seem alot more accessible... and living in Amsterdam, I could really see it work the way it does here. I basically get to school that would be as far away as bedford from my place in the peninsula in halifax, except its a 25 minute metro here that mostly winds outside of the city. In halifax, good luck doing that on a bus in any time close to that.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 29, 2007, 10:56 PM
And almost all of it is above ground, a likely solution for Halifax. How many years away do you think this kind of thing is for Halifax??

Halifax Hillbilly
Oct 31, 2007, 4:45 PM
And almost all of it is above ground, a likely solution for Halifax. How many years away do you think this kind of thing is for Halifax??

We're a long ways from any LRT at this point. We still don't even have a BRT system, just two suburban routes that have very limited BRT capabilites.

We should start reserving corridors for BRT routes connecting off the peninsula. If we start using dedicated right of ways where possible and transit priority signals and queue jumping lanes than we can get decent speed out of buses and avoid congestion, which are the major advantages that rail has over buses.

After that we wait thirty years until the population densities can support rails along our transit corridors. I really don't see Halifax with rail anytime soon.

terrynorthend
Oct 31, 2007, 6:11 PM
I'd love to see a rail system in Halifax. A simple above ground Metro type of system, like what I think WorldyHaligonian describes in Amsterdam. Most stations need not be expensive; they can be simple central platforms with a bit of shelter. Then we could get a few of those nice Bombardier trains, just 2 cars apiece. Maybe we could get a deal on them if we bought them in Maine and then shipped them across the border ;)

hfx_chris
Nov 1, 2007, 1:03 AM
We're a long ways from any LRT at this point. We still don't even have a BRT system, just two suburban routes that have very limited BRT capabilites.

We should start reserving corridors for BRT routes connecting off the peninsula. If we start using dedicated right of ways where possible and transit priority signals and queue jumping lanes than we can get decent speed out of buses and avoid congestion, which are the major advantages that rail has over buses.

Our BRT system (and yes it is a BRT system) does in fact have bus-only and queue jumping lanes, as well as transit priority lights. Not many, but they're there. Dedicated right-of-ways, now that would be a treat which would never happen, there just isn't enough room. We don't have the space for something like, say Ottawa's Transitway.

Halifax Hillbilly
Nov 1, 2007, 3:22 AM
Our BRT system (and yes it is a BRT system) does in fact have bus-only and queue jumping lanes, as well as transit priority lights. Not many, but they're there. Dedicated right-of-ways, now that would be a treat which would never happen, there just isn't enough room. We don't have the space for something like, say Ottawa's Transitway.

We have two "BRT" lines that don't even bring you to all the major employment areas on the peninsula (no dockyards, no hospitals, no universities). The Portland Hills line relies very heavily on park-and-ride, and almost all trips are from Portland Hills to Downtown. It's great the MetroLink is so popular but it really only helps a small percentage of transit users.

In my mind the Link is an express service packaged as BRT. I realize that dedicated ROWs aren't possible in this city, however the Link only has a couple of queue-jump lanes and some priority intersections. That's pretty low on the BRT scale. It saves about six minutes on the trip from Portland Hills.

Halifax Hillbilly
Nov 1, 2007, 3:29 AM
I'd love to see a rail system in Halifax. A simple above ground Metro type of system, like what I think WorldyHaligonian describes in Amsterdam. Most stations need not be expensive; they can be simple central platforms with a bit of shelter. Then we could get a few of those nice Bombardier trains, just 2 cars apiece. Maybe we could get a deal on them if we bought them in Maine and then shipped them across the border ;)

Personally if I'm building an expensive light rail system it's going to have killer stations. The biggest benefit of LRT to me is it's ability to direct development. Many cities have had tremendous success creating redevelopment along LRT corridors, whether development takes place near stations on grade seperated lines, or along street level LRT lines. For a city of Halifax I don't see huge speed benefits to LRT over because most rail-lines couldn't be on seperate right of ways, so I would put lots of money into making a statement with the physical infrastructure. You'd get the money back in new investment along the routes.

someone123
Nov 1, 2007, 3:49 AM
Why can't a rail line have its own ROW? The city owns the streets, and a single lane dedicated to rail can move far more people than one lane for car traffic, not to mention the fact that the rail line makes it possible to remove buses, making everything flow much better.

Like I said, I've never seen any evidence that adequate thought has gone into this, despite the number of studies that the regional council likes to commission.

Streetcars and electrified buses should also be considered. What about running a streetcar out to the universities and hospitals from the downtown or along Robie Street? A streetcar along Brunswick/Gottingen? An electrified route for the 1?

hfx_chris
Nov 1, 2007, 10:12 PM
Ah, how I love your ideas of having electric trolliecoaches and/or trams running in Halifax again... but I think just getting an LRT line would be enough of an accomplishment. I doubt however we'll see any overhead lines or power poles any time soon, probably everything would be diesel anyway.
Oh, except that Metro Transit has ordered (or will be ordering) two diesel-electric hybrid buses supposedly for a new downtown shuttle route (not free like FRED) that would link the ferry terminal with places like Spring Garden, SMU & Dal and the hospitals.

But I think what Hillbilly was referring to with rail right-of-ways is that the rail line that comes into Halifax around the basin and through the west end is only one set of tracks, and would need special sidings built so trains could pass each other at certain locations, not to mention how would you work it around existing CN and VIA rail traffic. They would basically need to build a second line parallel to the first... would have been a lot easier had the city not let CN tear the second line up a few years back.
Ottawa's O-Train is one set of tracks the entire way except for the middle station at Carleton University, where the trains are timed to pass each other.

Halifax Hillbilly
Nov 2, 2007, 6:43 PM
But I think what Hillbilly was referring to with rail right-of-ways is that the rail line that comes into Halifax around the basin and through the west end is only one set of tracks, and would need special sidings built so trains could pass each other at certain locations, not to mention how would you work it around existing CN and VIA rail traffic. They would basically need to build a second line parallel to the first... would have been a lot easier had the city not let CN tear the second line up a few years back.
Ottawa's O-Train is one set of tracks the entire way except for the middle station at Carleton University, where the trains are timed to pass each other.

The biggest problem I have with that route is that it runs near everything but not really directly by anything. It is close to Dal but any station would be a couple of hundred metres from the main campus, ditto for SMU. It's not really close to hospitals and the station is on the edge of downtown. It's a very peripheral route I wouldn't put a lot of money into trying to make this a rail corridor.

hfx_chris
Nov 2, 2007, 11:39 PM
Again, you keep talking about the Via Rail station, but I don't see what that has to do with anything... build the LRT station IN downtown, like the lands to be vacated when they (hopefully, eventually) demolish the Cogswell interchange.

Jonovision
Nov 3, 2007, 3:55 AM
It's all well and good to build a station right in the heart of downtown, but where would you run the track to connect the rail cut and the new station?!

hfx_chris
Nov 3, 2007, 10:12 PM
What do you mean where would you run it? Halifax does have streets that run in a north-south direction.
Hollis, Lower Water or Brunswick Streets all jump out at me, and would require little (as I see it) in the way of alterations (aside of course for laying the actual track). Hell, Brunswick is wide enough for the north-bound leg, and Hollis could work for the south-bound. The beauty of using Brunswick is you could service Spring Garden with it as well, including a nice new terminal built-in to whatever redevelopment takes place at Queen and Spring Garden.

reddog794
Dec 22, 2007, 12:53 AM
What about a serious look at putting tram lines in the streets again? Have a like 4 routes spider out from DT, and have another go down Robie, and another go down Quinpool, down Cogswell, into the DT. LRT just doesn't make sense here because of the amount of work/money it would take to put in. Either that or take a page from Bogota, a city in Colombia, with ten times the pop. but no rail, just buses, and they have a 70% ridership. Economics aside, it's cheaper to start off, and can be designed with more freedom.

hfx_chris
Dec 23, 2007, 4:54 PM
If light rail doesn't make sense, how would tram cars isolated to the peninsula make any more sense? Don't get me wrong, I love rail transit and tram cars, but they are very limited in what you can do with them. You can't easily change a route without ripping up streets and laying new track, if there's an accident or major incident you can't do detours, tracks have to be replaced after X number of years. And add to that the price of building a new car barn/maintenance facility somewhere in Halifax, because I don't think either of their Burnside bus garages have the space to accommodate trams and perform maintenence on them; plus I don't know how keep the Bridge Commission would be on the idea of laying track across their bridges.
It's a shame the tore up all of the track and switched to trolley coaches... If anything, all this would be now is an expensive touristy gimmick. Just buy a bunch of new articulated buses, run them on the busy routes (which they should be doing, not buying more conventional 40-foot buses) which are already experiencing overcrowding.

someone123
Dec 24, 2007, 1:49 AM
Tram lines have disadvantages compared to buses but they're also more comfortable, cleaner, and the rail infrastructure itself is much more permanent. Building a streetcar or LRT line through an urban neighbourhood where previously there were only buses and where cars can be difficult immediately makes it much more attractive. I think some kind of improved transit line to the North End, for example, could be used to encourage much more infill than would otherwise happen.

Development and transportation projects go hand in hand.

reddog794
Dec 24, 2007, 8:14 AM
You said it someone. Connect the core of the city better.

You could put the Tram shed up north end, near the bridge, close to the bedford hwy. Make a station there too, to shorten the Link travel time from Bedford.

I'm sorry if you got the idea I was implying to put tracks on the bridges, because that wasn't where I was going with it. I don't know how much the bridges are designed to carry, but it would be tempting fate if you did install a line on either bridge. Improve the ferry times to make up for the former.

I was walking around Dartmouth Crossings today a came to realize it needs it's own FRED. It's a very vehicle minded design, isn't it? You'd figure with all this climate talk, you'd want less cars on the roads. Not more reasons to to use them.

Other than that, the bus service to it has deffinately improved. An idea struck to have a link route run from Sunnyside Mall, down to Woodside ferry, and have Dartmouth Crossings, Burnside, MicMac, Alderney Gate, Penhorn, as stops. It would also lead to less cars on the Circ.

sorry for the long post, I'm not sure when I'm going to have a stable net connection again

Halifax Hillbilly
Dec 24, 2007, 8:40 PM
Other than that, the bus service to it has deffinately improved. An idea struck to have a link route run from Sunnyside Mall, down to Woodside ferry, and have Dartmouth Crossings, Burnside, MicMac, Alderney Gate, Penhorn, as stops. It would also lead to less cars on the Circ.

I like that route idea. The crosstown bus service in this city needs to improve a lot. With Burnside/Dartmouth Crossing and Bayer's Lake as major employment and shopping hubs you are going to need more routes connecting suburban centres.

I would also suggest routes from Spryfield heading towards Bayer's Lake, and a route from Clayton Park going over the bridge to Burnside.

hfx_chris
Dec 26, 2007, 1:25 AM
Clayton Park to Burnside service is already provided by the route 52. I know one thing that was mentioned is that the city wants to improve service between Lower Sackville and Bayers Lake, which right now is very difficult to get between.

Interesting you mentioned Dartmouth Crossing reddog - it was touted as being very pedestrian friendly, the developers kept saying they've learned from the mistakes of Bayers Lake... but... I find it very pedestrian un-friendly. There's no crosswalks where you need them, and walking from either Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire or Home Depot to the bus stops is difficult at best. I see the only thing they've learned from Bayers Lake, is that you can't build on either side of a major, heavily used and busy road like Chain Lake Drive. Getting across that street is deadly. At least the streets in DC are easier to cross (even without crosswalks)

Halifax Hillbilly
Dec 26, 2007, 10:21 PM
Clayton Park to Burnside service is already provided by the route 52. I know one thing that was mentioned is that the city wants to improve service between Lower Sackville and Bayers Lake, which right now is very difficult to get between.

The 52 from Lacewood Terminal to Burnside takes about 45 minutes vs. fifteen minutes by car. I realize that buses are generally slower than autos but a bus trip can't be three times longer if you want to attract any choice riders. I think Metor Transit will have to look at offering more service across the MacKay Bridge to better serve Burnside.

Lower Sackville to Bayer's Lake sounds like a very good idea.

How much new routes can be expected from Metro Transit?? New buses are on the way but they will still have to deal with overcrowding on some of the core routes. It might be a while before we see expanded bus service.

hfx_chris
Dec 27, 2007, 5:49 AM
Don't hold your breath on new routes. Yes new buses are coming into service (and have been for a little while), but a lot of those are already earmarked for replacements. I can think of at least 10 buses which have been retired in the last couple of months. Plus as you said, some of the core routes are experiencing overcrowding, so they'll have to also deal with increasing trip frequency to alleviate those problems first, before thinking about many new routes.

The MacKay bridge was without a doubt one of the most under-utilized corridors around. They finally started making use of it during off-peak times with the route 16 Parkland, connecting Lacewood with Highfield and the Bridge terminal. I suppose that's one quicker way to get from Clayton Park to Burnside, via the route 16, but by the looks of the schedules it would involve about a 20 minute stopover at Highfield to catch either the 52 or 64 into Burnside.

Halifax Hillbilly
Dec 27, 2007, 2:12 PM
Don't hold your breath on new routes. Yes new buses are coming into service (and have been for a little while), but a lot of those are already earmarked for replacements. I can think of at least 10 buses which have been retired in the last couple of months. Plus as you said, some of the core routes are experiencing overcrowding, so they'll have to also deal with increasing trip frequency to alleviate those problems first, before thinking about many new routes.

I've been hoping for them to deal with the overcrowding on the 1 since I came back into the city three years ago. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath on that one either, as Metro Transit has put in several new routes in that time but not once has done anything about the problems on the 1 or other routes. I think this time though they are getting near the breaking point on a couple of routes and they have no choice but to increase capacity.

reddog794
Dec 27, 2007, 9:08 PM
One point that makes me wonder is why isn't there an intensification of routes during peak times? With more buses on the roads wouldn't it push cars off. Not literally, but where people would be more inclined to ride the buses, because it's harder for a car to get around all the buses, i.e. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I still believe in a DC FRED, as well as a BL FRED. Have dedicated buses for your major shopping/business areas. I'd also love to see FRED expanded downtown. An alternative to trams, DT... for now.

HillBilly you raise a good point, shouldn't the drive of any mass transit, be to have shorter travel times than cars?

Halifax Hillbilly
Dec 28, 2007, 2:36 AM
One point that makes me wonder is why isn't there an intensification of routes during peak times? With more buses on the roads wouldn't it push cars off. Not literally, but where people would be more inclined to ride the buses, because it's harder for a car to get around all the buses, i.e. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I still believe in a DC FRED, as well as a BL FRED. Have dedicated buses for your major shopping/business areas. I'd also love to see FRED expanded downtown. An alternative to trams, DT... for now.

HillBilly you raise a good point, shouldn't the drive of any mass transit, be to have shorter travel times than cars?

I'm not sure Halifax can really put too many more peak time buses on the road with the way the routes are structured right now. Almost every route in the city goes down Barrington or Spring Garden and the bus stops are already congested. I think the routes should be restructured to get rid of all the duplicates and run articulated buses on express routes connecting downtown to the suburbs.

I agree that there is lots of potential for shuttles around downtown, universities, hospitals, and the business parks. If it's easier to get around throughout the day to run errands and other trips people could be more likely to leave the car behind for the commute.

someone123
Dec 28, 2007, 4:57 AM
I think Halifax's bus system would be much better if it were structured more around a few high frequency express routes plus transfers instead of the current system where there are a bunch of minor "complete" routes that serve random parts of the city. Eventually these high frequency routes would be the ones that I suggested earlier as being good candidates for replacement by rail or whatever else.

The current system is extremely frustrating for anybody coming in from the suburbs. A lot of the suburban routes also serve random parts of the city (e.g. your downtown bus might also add 10 mins to your trip by going to SMU) and they tend to stop every two blocks. As a result of this setup my morning commute took about 40 mins instead of 15 by car or 50 minutes walking, which is pretty pathetic. And that's not counting the many times the bus arrived late or not at all.

The other fundamental problem with transit service in Halifax is that suburbs are not designed for good service. They do things like plan for space for buses to stop but they do not plan for bus lanes or even decent road access (as opposed to cul-de-sac setups, which aren't even permitted in some cities anymore). Partly the city's terrain makes this kind of planning difficult but even so there's a lot of room for improvement.

hfx_chris
Dec 29, 2007, 5:05 PM
I know there are plans in the works for a full-time downtown "shuttle" (not free like FRED) that'll run from the ferry terminal, up Spring Garden to the hospitals and universities. Not sure when that's going to become a reality though.

I can't see Metro Transit providing a dedicated shuttle service within Dartmouth Crossing. However, they do need an additional route (I've suggested before a route connecting the Bridge Terminal, a major transfer point, with DC via Highfield Park and Commodore Drive), and this route should be setup to provide service in the opposite direction within Dartmouth Crossing that the existing route 56 does. If you notice, the route 56 enters DC via the Wright Avenue/Hwy 118 interchange, so it hits the theatres and restaurants up that end, then goes south to where Wal-Mart/Home Depot are. From there it gets back onto highway 118 via a second ramp at that end. That's great if you're watching a movie at the theatre then want to pop in Wal-Mart, but not the other way around if you're in Wal-Mart and have to catch a movie. No buses head north in there. A second bus route coming from the Bridge needs to enter via Commodore, turn right in front of Canadian Tire, do the little loop in front of Wal-Mart/Home Depot/Best Buy, then head north towards the theatre and restaurants. Now you've got northbound and southbound service, provided by two routes. It's like a dedicated shuttle service running every 30 minutes.

Halifax Hillbilly
Dec 30, 2007, 2:45 PM
I know there are plans in the works for a full-time downtown "shuttle" (not free like FRED) that'll run from the ferry terminal, up Spring Garden to the hospitals and universities. Not sure when that's going to become a reality though.

I believe Metro Transit is looking to make use hybrid buses for this route. It would definitely be a great help as right now the connections from the ferry terminal to the rest of the system are terrible.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated FREE downtown shuttle running very frequently. Make it very convenient to use the bus for quick errands downtown and you might get a lot of people trying the bus who otherwise wouldn't. Other than the Link bus there isn't a lot of Metro Transit services that appeal to choice riders and the majority of people dismiss public transit without ever trying the service.

hfx_chris
Dec 31, 2007, 2:39 AM
I believe Metro Transit is looking to make use hybrid buses for this route.
Correct. I think they're ordering two..but they could take a while to arrive.

reddog794
Jan 3, 2008, 9:29 PM
I was just looking around, and I can't seem to find a "set in stone" transit plan for Halifax, little more than a "written in smoke" plan. So I ask, what is the 25 year vision for MetroTransit? Where are we putting our money towards? I might just not be able to find it, HFX_chris, what do you know? You seem to have a good ear for transit plans here.

hfx_chris
Jan 5, 2008, 4:51 AM
Unfortunately I don't, because I don't believe HRM has ever made anything public. Sadly to me it looks like they're just bumping along.

If there is a transit plan, only the transit planners seem to have it.

Halifax Hillbilly
Mar 14, 2008, 9:16 PM
Transit share is up in Halifax according to the 2006 census! :cheers:

Between 2001 and 2006 transit share increased from 9.9% to 11.9% of work trips.

75.8% of commutes were made in a vehicle, down from 77.6%.

Walking and biking stayed virtually the same at around 11% combined.

They're pretty modest gains but not too shabby considering employment in the downtown is more or less stagnant and there hasn't been any huge investment in the system. I would imagine the Link routes had the most to do with the increase.

Dmajackson
Mar 16, 2008, 2:09 AM
Yah the Link was defenitely the major help in this increase but other routes are on the increase as well. Both parking lots are overflowing. Another help was probably the insane number of people using #80 and #81 from Hemlock Ravine.

I was just on the Metro Transit site and they want people to name the new highway bus routes. I picked the Rural Express (REX).

hfx_chris
Mar 17, 2008, 2:53 AM
No no no, pick Community Link! I'll copy and paste my rationale from another forum:

My thoughts: Since the BRT is named MetroLINK, and I know it was mentioned they wanted to name the (potential) future high-speed ferry MetroLINK, I think they should stay with the -LINK suffix. I picked Community Link, or C-Link as it may be known (but for goodness sakes, put CommunityLINK on the buses, not C-Link.

Metro Express and Rural Express both sound too much like descriptions of the service, and less like actual names.
Metro Dash is questionable, as I doubt the drive in from Sheet Harbour (or however far out it's going) could be called a 'dash'.

Oh, and Metro Liner? That one just makes me laugh. Might make a decent name for a rail transit system, but not buses.

So, everybody vote for the C-Link!

Dmajackson
Mar 17, 2008, 3:04 AM
They're actually planning to name the fast ferry HarbourLink but your point still works. I decided C-Link was smarter so i cancelled out my vote for now.

kwajo
Mar 17, 2008, 6:51 PM
I don't live in Halifax, but I put my vote in for the "Quick Hick Stick"

Halifax Hillbilly
Mar 19, 2008, 2:03 AM
I was just on the Metro Transit site and they want people to name the new highway bus routes. I picked the Rural Express (REX).

When is this service supposed to start?

And what kind of service might it have to the airport?

Dmajackson
Mar 19, 2008, 3:46 AM
I don't know much about the Express service but what i do know is that it would service highways 102, 103, and 107 along three corridors; Enfield, Musquodoboit, and Tantallon.

I was searching and i found the proposed future transit map for HRM which shows the rural express path and yes it looks like it will service the airport. :) There is no timeline that i can find but the map can be found at http://www.halifax.ca/regionalplanning/FinalRegPlan.html just scroll down and click Future Transit and Transportation.

Halifax Hillbilly
Mar 20, 2008, 1:26 PM
Here we go - rural express service is expected to start this fall to Tantallon.

I like the idea - many of HRMs transit plans aren't bad they just take so long to roll out.

Rural express will make quick trip from Upper Tantallon

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
The Chronicle Herald
Thu. Mar 20 - 5:20 AM

An upcoming rural express bus service will help make the route from Hammonds Plains a road less travelled, says the area councillor.

A new Tantallon commuter route, which will originate at the Hubley Centre Mall in Upper Tantallon and make only two stops along Highway 103 at exits 4 and 3, will hopefully be launched this fall, says Coun. Gary Meade (Hammonds Plains-St. Margarets).

"It’s going to be a very important service," Mr. Meade said of the direct route that would have buses running every 15 or 30 minutes during peak morning and afternoon travel times.

Currently, a bus runs twice daily to downtown Halifax from the shopping centre but it makes stops all along the way, he said.

"It’s the milk route and it takes an hour and 15 minutes to get downtown."

The new half-hour service will entice more riders, Mr. Meade said.

A park ’n’ ride for about 200 cars would be located either in the Sobeys parking lot or at the nearby St. Margaret’s Centre.

"We’re negotiating with Sobeys right now."

There is no set cost for the service, but it will likely be higher than the $2 that MetroLink commuters are charged to go from Portland Hills or Lower Sackville into downtown, Mr. Meade said.

However, it will be well worth the saving in gas and parking costs in downtown Halifax, he said.

A report on the service will come before council in the next few weeks.

The new bus route folds perfectly into a new study released Wednesday by GPI Atlantic Inc.

The study reveals that even though 71 per cent of Halifax’s residents live in Metro Transit’s service area — and 90 per cent of those in urban and suburban areas live within 500 metres of a transit stop — the vast majority don’t use public transit.

In fact, 76 per cent of commuters use private vehicles, while only 12 per cent ride buses and 11 per cent walk or cycle.

However, the report notes that the popularity of Metro Transit’s new express bus services shows that many commuters are willing and ready to switch to mass transit if it is fast and convenient.

Mr. Meade says those elements will be key in winning over new ridership from his district.

"And I imagine after awhile that people who live in Hubbards and Chester will come in and park their cars and go into town that way too," he said.

Other express routes are also in the works, Mr. Meade said.

Those include express transit services between the downtown core and communities along the Highway 107 and Highway 102 corridors.

Like the service to Upper Tantallon, the other routes would provide regional transit express services designed for the commuter market from local stops and park ’n’ ride lots in the highway corridors.

They include the Musquodoboit Harbour corridor, including Porters Lake, Lake Echo, East Preston and Minesville, and the Enfield corridor that includes Fall River.

Dmajackson
Mar 20, 2008, 3:14 PM
Hopefully this service is as popular as the Link in Sackville. Those buses really helped to relieve congestion in Burnside. I heard they are planning to use a different type of bus for this service. Does anyone know if its like the Link buses or something else entirely?

Wishblade
Mar 20, 2008, 3:15 PM
I don't know much about the Express service but what i do know is that it would service highways 102, 103, and 107 along three corridors; Enfield, Musquodoboit, and Tantallon.

I was searching and i found the proposed future transit map for HRM which shows the rural express path and yes it looks like it will service the airport. :) There is no timeline that i can find but the map can be found at http://www.halifax.ca/regionalplanning/FinalRegPlan.html just scroll down and click Future Transit and Transportation.

Now Im probably not alone in thinking this, but is that route to out past sheet harbour and back even financially feasible? It seems like an incredibly long route with what would be a very small passenger volume.

Halifax Hillbilly
Mar 20, 2008, 3:47 PM
Now Im probably not alone in thinking this, but is that route to out past sheet harbour and back even financially feasible? It seems like an incredibly long route with what would be a very small passenger volume.

It's a good question. We'll see what the proposed fares are to go that far out of town.

Halifax Hillbilly
Mar 20, 2008, 3:48 PM
Hopefully this service is as popular as the Link in Sackville. Those buses really helped to relieve congestion in Burnside. I heard they are planning to use a different type of bus for this service. Does anyone know if its like the Link buses or something else entirely?

They need buses that can operate safely at highway speeds so it will be something entirely different.

Dmajackson
Mar 20, 2008, 3:57 PM

The rural bus routes do seem unfeasible of all those ones i can only see the Peggy's Cove area one being possible and that one would only make money in the summer unless the fares were very high (at least $5.00 or more).

gm_scott
Mar 21, 2008, 2:57 AM
I hope they quickly add some new routes, like the proposed. I would really use a bus a lot if it came into Fall River frequently.

Dmajackson
Mar 27, 2008, 4:35 AM
Being a student on the SMU campus i commonly take the 18 "Universities". To me though this title is somewhat misleading. It directy services SMU and MSVU but not Dal. In my opinion they should create a route that really services all the universities along a route something like this: Inglis Street (with a loop near Tower Road), Robie St, University Ave (up to Dal terminal), Coburg Rd, Oxford St, Jubilee, Connaught, Windsor, and out to MSVU via Bedford Highway. From there it could go up to Lacewood. This is a simple route and would only operate during the university calender year. To make it more effect they could try to fit it around class times, if possible.

Does anyone else think is a good idea. I would like some feedback before i attempt to email either Uteck or Metro Transit.

someone123
Mar 27, 2008, 4:52 AM
I'm not sure it makes sense since the number of people trying to travel between universities is small and making the trip to all of them would simply add unnecessary time.

The current Dal/SMU routes are also packed as it is and Metro Transit doesn't have much of an incentive to improve them because of the passes.

Halifax Hillbilly
Mar 27, 2008, 4:55 PM
I'm not sure it makes sense since the number of people trying to travel between universities is small and making the trip to all of them would simply add unnecessary time.

The current Dal/SMU routes are also packed as it is and Metro Transit doesn't have much of an incentive to improve them because of the passes.

Agreed. I would rather see higher frequencies on the 1 and other buses to deal with the universities than chaning the routes around. IMO the university routes (17,18) are some of the most sensible right now. If I was to write Metro Transit about anything it would be the over-crowding, not the route design.

What is lacking is fast service between the universities/hospitals and the ferry terminal. Apparently this will be addressed by Metro Transit with downtown shuttles shortly.

Dmajackson
Mar 27, 2008, 10:24 PM
Agreed. I would rather see higher frequencies on the 1 and other buses to deal with the universities than chaning the routes around. IMO the university routes (17,18) are some of the most sensible right now. If I was to write Metro Transit about anything it would be the over-crowding, not the route design.

What is lacking is fast service between the universities/hospitals and the ferry terminal. Apparently this will be addressed by Metro Transit with downtown shuttles shortly.

For this route it wouldn't alter the 17 or 18 at all it would just add a new route ("19" probably). Depending on travel time this could solve overcrowding on these partciular routes.

As for route 1 i dont see what everyone is complaining about. That route has buses every 10 minutes during peak and from looking in it while it passes me multiple times a day i've never seen it overly crowded. If it was up to me route 1 would be one of the last i would upgrade i woud rather spend the money on possible bus lanes, better waiting areas for major stops, or upgrading the really busy routes.

I do agree with the shuttle thing though. Only 2 full-time routes go to the Halifax ferry terminal (five including peak routes).

Halifax Hillbilly
Mar 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
For this route it wouldn't alter the 17 or 18 at all it would just add a new route ("19" probably). Depending on travel time this could solve overcrowding on these partciular routes.

As for route 1 i dont see what everyone is complaining about. That route has buses every 10 minutes during peak and from looking in it while it passes me multiple times a day i've never seen it overly crowded. If it was up to me route 1 would be one of the last i would upgrade i woud rather spend the money on possible bus lanes, better waiting areas for major stops, or upgrading the really busy routes.

I do agree with the shuttle thing though. Only 2 full-time routes go to the Halifax ferry terminal (five including peak routes).

I just feel we have so many long winding routes already in this city, that adding another bus route that is similar to two others would confuse the problem.

As for the 1 the worst crowding happens along Coburg near Dal and Oxford between Coburg and Quinpool. I take the bus a lot and it can get very crowded. I've been on full-sized buses that had to stop picking up passengers near Dal. Coming into the city in the morning during peak hours the bus gets extremely full along the same stretch. It's not just standing room only, sometimes it's full to the doors.

10 minutes frequencies only seem high because the other routes come so infrequently (generally 30 minutes). I really believe the 1 needs a service upgrade because it's consistently overcrowded. Ideally I think Metro Transit would put in a short-turn route from Barrington to Quinpool Rd. on the 1 running a couple of times an hour in rush hour just to get some more capacity on the section that needs it.

There may be more crowded routes on the system but this is the worst one I ride. People who have the choice won't ride the bus if it's unreliable (too full to get on) and uncomfortable (too crowded). Better service is needed to attract new riders, or just to properly serve the existing ones.

Dmajackson
Mar 29, 2008, 4:17 AM
I just feel we have so many long winding routes already in this city, that adding another bus route that is similar to two others would confuse the problem.

As for the 1 the worst crowding happens along Coburg near Dal and Oxford between Coburg and Quinpool. I take the bus a lot and it can get very crowded. I've been on full-sized buses that had to stop picking up passengers near Dal. Coming into the city in the morning during peak hours the bus gets extremely full along the same stretch. It's not just standing room only, sometimes it's full to the doors.

10 minutes frequencies only seem high because the other routes come so infrequently (generally 30 minutes). I really believe the 1 needs a service upgrade because it's consistently overcrowded. Ideally I think Metro Transit would put in a short-turn route from Barrington to Quinpool Rd. on the 1 running a couple of times an hour in rush hour just to get some more capacity on the section that needs it.

There may be more crowded routes on the system but this is the worst one I ride. People who have the choice won't ride the bus if it's unreliable (too full to get on) and uncomfortable (too crowded). Better service is needed to attract new riders, or just to properly serve the existing ones.

Okay yah i see the #1 on Spring Garden so it might be less crowded there. I do agree with the winding routes though. The #80 for example makes a somewhat pointless path through Bayers Road. We never pick people up there outbound we jut drop people at an area with a bunch of routes from downtown already. In my opinion the #80 should go up Windsor or another route that doesnt involve the gidlock on Bayers Rd. The problem is though most routes use these winding routes. We should have more routes like the 7 were its a rectagular shape not some random lines on a map.

Dmajackson
Apr 4, 2008, 12:52 AM
Commuting picture in N.S. steady — census
Halifax commuters follow national trend, take more public transit
By KELLY SHIERS Staff Reporter
Thu. Apr 3 - 5:37 AM

A man smokes his pipe as the Halifax-Dartmouth ferry prepares to dock nearby on the Halifax waterfront Wednesday. Public transit use in Halifax has increased by two per cent since 2001, the 2006 census shows. Overall in Nova Scotia, there has been a one per cent increase in public transit use. (BLAKE MacEWAN)

Halifax commuters are following a national trend, opting to go green by carpooling, taking a ferry or hopping a bus to work, according to data that Statistics Canada released Wednesday.

"Essentially the Nova Scotia picture has stayed relatively the same in terms of . . . how people travel to work," said Stephanie Sodero, transportation co-ordinator for the Ecology Action Centre.

"Where we show the biggest movement (since 2001) was in Halifax. . . . Seeing a three per cent decline in the percentage of people who are driving alone and seeing a two per cent increase in transit use — these are relatively modest trends, but they’re good trends," she said.

The 2006 census figures show younger workers in Halifax Regional Municipality are more likely to go green. Almost 20 per cent of workers under age 25 use public transit. Another 19.9 per cent of young workers walk to their jobs.

Overall, the figures indicate 12 per cent of all commuters in HRM use transit, while 11 per cent walk and bike to work. Since 2001, the overall number of people walking and biking to work in HRM decreased by one per cent, Ms. Sodero said.

In Nova Scotia, there has been a one per cent increase in public transit use, she said.

Still, the most popular way to get to work, no matter where you live in Canada, is behind the wheel of a vehicle.

The 2006 census counted 10,644,325 Canadians who drove themselves to work. A further 1,133,150 Canadians were passengers in cars, trucks or vans. A total of 2,757,530 people said they use some sort of sustainable transportation — walking, biking or using public transit.

In Nova Scotia, there were almost 403,000 commuters, with 293,220 saying they drive themselves to work. Another 43,710 are passengers in cars, trucks or vans. Almost 60,000 people choose public transit, or to walk or cycle.

Ms. Sodero said the findings should encourage governments to provide more options for commuters throughout the province

reddog794
Apr 5, 2008, 6:39 AM
Okay, so how do we turn a 2% growth into a 4% growth?... only without all the nasty oil shortage and war type things happening right away.

someone123
Apr 5, 2008, 6:59 AM
The bus system needs a core network of express type routes along the lines of what the MetroLink provides to Dartmouth. By offering limited stops and skipping certain areas they can go a little bit faster and at higher frequencies. MetroLink has been a huge success and there's no reason why it can't be replicated in other similar parts of the city (Spryfield, Clayton Park, Bedford, Sackville).

There should also be a plan to piece together ROWs in different parts of the city for bus lanes. Eventually the city could move over to some electrified routes and maybe light rail.

None of this is overly complicated or controversial. Unfortunately, a lot of money that could be used for important transit projects is currently being wasted. I don't know much about Metro Transit's internal workings. Maybe after the municipal elections we'll have a council with some real priorities and direction.

Dmajackson
Apr 5, 2008, 9:26 PM
The bus system needs a core network of express type routes along the lines of what the MetroLink provides to Dartmouth. By offering limited stops and skipping certain areas they can go a little bit faster and at higher frequencies. MetroLink has been a huge success and there's no reason why it can't be replicated in other similar parts of the city (Spryfield, Clayton Park, Bedford, Sackville).

There should also be a plan to piece together ROWs in different parts of the city for bus lanes. Eventually the city could move over to some electrified routes and maybe light rail.

None of this is overly complicated or controversial. Unfortunately, a lot of money that could be used for important transit projects is currently being wasted. I don't know much about Metro Transit's internal workings. Maybe after the municipal elections we'll have a council with some real priorities and direction.

Sackville already has a MetroLink and if the fast ferry is built Bedford shouldn't need a MetroLink, but Clayton Park defenitely needs a MetroLink leaving from Lacewood Terminal. I'm not familiar with Spryfield's traffic but i think they could build one nearby anyways.

hfx_chris
Apr 19, 2008, 10:36 PM
I think they're saying Spryfield and Clayton Park MetroLink won't be coming for a few years yet; 2011 and 2012.
Metro Transit put a couple things up on their site:

5-year Approach (http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/news/documents/MetroTransit5YearApproach.pdf)

Regional transit plan (http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/news/documents/RegionalTransitPlan.pdf)

Hopefully this service is as popular as the Link in Sackville. Those buses really helped to relieve congestion in Burnside. I heard they are planning to use a different type of bus for this service. Does anyone know if its like the Link buses or something else entirely?As far as I know it would be suburban buses, which are basically identical to urban buses except for a couple of changes, such as no back door to increase seating, comfier high-back seats similar to what MetroLink currently uses, so they'll probably just use the same seats, and a few mechanical and structural modifications for constant highway driving. Some can be purchased equipped with luggage racks, either overhead or at the front, which would be handy if they decide to service the airport. But basically they're identical to what they're using now. I doubt they would pay for expensive highway coaches...that's overkill.

I do agree with the shuttle thing though. Only 2 full-time routes go to the Halifax ferry terminal (five including peak routes).3 actually, routes 2, 4 and 6. ;)

Dmajackson
May 13, 2008, 1:40 AM
Just some new changes:

-#21 now goes to Greenwood Heights all the time, and

-#72 Portland-bound will service Commodore Drive and DC.

hfx_chris
May 13, 2008, 12:03 PM
-#21 now goes to Greenwood Heights all the timeGood. There's a lot of people living up in there, it made no sense that some runs would bypass that subdivision during rush hour.

-#72 Portland-bound will service Commodore Drive and DC.Another good one! Even better in fact. I said right from the start the 72 should service Dartmouth Crossing - now there's service from the Highfield area directly to DC.

Of course, my idea right from the start was to route the 72 through Dartmouth Crossing, which would provide service to DC from the eastern Dartmouth area. The then new route 56 should have serviced DC from the Bridge terminal on Wyse Road, by taking Victoria, Highfield and Commodore.
But what do I know :cool:

Dmajackson
May 13, 2008, 8:14 PM
Downtown Shuttle Services

(Tuesday, May 13, 2008) - HRM will hold a public workshop this Thursday to gather comments from residents regarding the design for a downtown shuttle service that is included in the municipality's five-year transit plan.

The plan will add more and more regional transit services such as fast ferry, rural express buses and new MetroLink routes. These services will bring passengers to major transit terminals at Scotia Square and the Halifax Ferry Terminal. Although these two locations are within walking distance for a large portion of downtown employment, they are not as convenient for those whose workplace is farther away. With the Downtown Shuttle, commuters will disembark and have an attractive, comfortable vehicle waiting to take them to key destinations in and around the downtown.

The public will have the opportunity to help HRM decide which are the key destinations to service by downtown shuttle. The buses will use hybrid diesel-electric technology to minimize noise and emissions.

Information regarding the workshop has been sent to business associations, hospitals, universities, DND, and Citadel High School.

When: Thursday, May 15, 2008

Where: Delta Halifax Hotel, 1990 Barrington Street, Baronet Room #6

Time: 1st Session: 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
2nd Session: 10:45 a.m to 12:15 p.m.
3rd Session: 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.

--30--

John O'Brien
Manager, Corporate Communications
490-6531

(Credit: http://halifax.ca/mediaroom/pressrelease/pr2008/080513DowntownShuttleServices.html)
This is great news. Shuttles downtown will defenitely help us to get "greener" (they are hybrid buses), more ridership and make downtown more attractive!!!

someone123
May 13, 2008, 9:33 PM
I don't know much about Dartmouth transit, but the downtown shuttle is definitely needed. It should be really easy for people to get from Barrington or the ferry terminal to any of the major nearby employment areas - all around the downtown, dockyards, hospitals, and universities. The whole idea of trying to mix and match suburban areas with different parts of the peninsula just doesn't work well.

Good to hear that they're looking at electric, though I'm not sure what they mean exactly by hybrids. Does this mean that they will run off of lines but also have diesel engines or does this just mean that they'll have some kind of battery pack?

gm_scott
May 13, 2008, 11:38 PM
Just Buses with diesel power and a battery pack.
Good choice I must say.

hfx_chris
May 14, 2008, 1:41 AM
Yep, diesel-electric hybrids.

Dmajackson
May 17, 2008, 3:08 AM
Call for more metro bus connections
Lack of service to Quinpool Rd., workshop hears
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Fri. May 16 - 6:08 AM

There aren’t enough bus connections linking Halifax’s downtown to Quinpool Road or the south end, a transit workshop heard Thursday.

Providing a connecting service to those areas would persuade commuters to leave their cars at home, Sandra Hamm said.

The Saint Mary’s University librarian usually carpools daily from Musquodoboit Harbour and finds it much faster than taking the bus.

"I don’t want to take a MetroLink bus to Scotia Square and then spend 10 minutes waiting for another bus (to go the rest of the way to SMU)," she said.

"That doesn’t really reduce my time."

Ms. Hamm was one of about 30 people who took part Thursday in three planning sessions hosted by the municipality.

A new downtown shuttle service is in the works for 2010 but the city wanted rider input before putting the buses out on the street.

During 90-minute sessions in a downtown hotel boardroom, participants were given a table-sized map, a jar full of push pins and string. Their task: to link as many bus stops — including pickups at Scotia Square and the Halifax ferry terminal — as possible.

A lot of the talk during a mid-morning session centred on the lack of service to Quinpool Road.

It’s especially important for Sarah MacDonald, the student services representative for the Centre for Arts and Technology on Barrington Street.

"Although our campus is downtown, not everybody can afford to live downtown," she explained in an interview.

As a result, students often choose to live on Quinpool Road, but "figuring out the transfer system can be a little complicated."

However, the trek downtown is also a little too long to regularly do on foot, Ms. MacDonald said.

The councillor for downtown Halifax says the new service would be a boon to the residents, tourists and commuters who frequent the downtown.

For any of them, parking issues and lack of transit connections can make it challenging and time-consuming to get around, Coun. Dawn Sloane said.

"Often, people are downtown and they need to get to Spring Garden Road to do an errand and they take their car. And I just cringe at that thought," she said.

"This (service) will allow people to say, ‘I’m not going to take my car’ . . . so I’m definitely a cheerleader for it."

The concept also appeals to Laena Garrison, co-ordinator of TRAX, the transportation wing of the Ecology Action Centre in Halifax.

"Not taking your car is really fundamental to what TRAX is all about," she said, noting the group also encourages cycling as well as public transit.

Its own research shows that increased frequency and reliability are key to getting more people on the bus, so she’s glad the city is working from the same premise.

"Definitely two thumbs up!" she said.

She’s also impressed that the city took the time to invite people to the workshop before the service was introduced.

"It’s a great way to get people involved and to teach people that it’s not an easy task to figure this out," Ms. Garrison said.

Even Halifax’s manager of transportation admitted that was an unexpected benefit of the exercise.

"We get an appreciation of what priorities are for people, and the participants, I think, get an appreciation for the job we have to do," David McCusker said in an interview.

"And they start to understand why we can’t do everything for everybody."

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Some of the comments on the Herald website are actually smart for this particular article. One person mentioned banning parking on SGR and Barrington (downtown only). I do agree they should ban parking on these roads and to help buses get there easier they should make Robie (south of Cunard) three lanes with no-parking all the way down to at least South maybe even Inglis.

Dmajackson
May 27, 2008, 3:30 AM
New Rural Express information document:
http://halifax.ca/MetroTransit/MetroExpress.html

EDIT: The new nickname for the MetroExpress is METROX. Pretty cool, eh?

Dmajackson
Jun 13, 2008, 1:19 AM
Now that the Chebucto Road Reversing Lane is planned for construction for this year i think they should add a bus route into these plans. I'm not familiar with bus routes/ridership levels out there so please forgive me if this is a stupid route.

-leaves Cogswell/Barrington
-up North Park Street
-Cunard/Chebucto
-Mumford Terminal
-Bayers Road Terminal
-Lacewood?

hfx_chris
Jun 13, 2008, 2:28 PM
Sounds like a cross between the current routes 5 and 6 from downtown to Mumford, and the route 2 and 4 from Mumford to Lacewood..

Cogswell is already serviced by the route 6 which always has relatively low ridership during off-peak times. Cunard from downtown is serviced by the route 5 during rush hour only (and by the route 18 all day which doesn't go downtown), and in my experience hardly anyone ever gets on or off in that area.

However, I am all for increased service from the Lacewood terminal/Clayton Park area to downtown. The rush hour routes (21, 31, 33, 34, 35) are pretty good, but only if you're going one-way. The only other routes which directly service Lacewood and downtown all day are the route 2 and 4, which typically become crowded - and are very circuitous, as they try and service as many areas as possible. Would be nice to have a more direct downtown to Clayton Park route all day, however here's my suggestion:

Leave Barrington northbound to Duffus Street, left on Duffus straight onto Lady Hammond, Kempt Road, Bedford Highway, ramp onto Joe Howe, right on Dutch Village, right on Titus to Lacewood. Not only would this provide much more direct downtown to Clayton Park service by not dicking around all over Halifax, but it would provide a link between Clayton Park and north end Halifax which right now is missing. But personally I'm a big fan of "express routes" (not in the limited-stop MetroLink style, but just routes which bypass a lot of nonsense), and Metro Transit has to maximize the potential of every route they create due to limited funding and resources... this is why I would never want to be a transit planner.

Dmajackson
Jun 14, 2008, 8:11 PM
Cogswell is already serviced by the route 6 which always has relatively low ridership during off-peak times. Cunard from downtown is serviced by the route 5 during rush hour only (and by the route 18 all day which doesn't go downtown), and in my experience hardly anyone ever gets on or off in that area.
Yes i guess it does have some resemblence to #6 but instead of going to Chocolate Lake this would swing up to Bayers Road and as far as i know there is no route that does that directly from D.T. If need be this could be rush-hour only but if it somehow services Mumford and Lacewood i imagine it could be popular enough to have mid-day or saturdays. Cunard is also serviced by #17 for the same length as the #18 (just from Windsor to Robie).
Leave Barrington northbound to Duffus Street, left on Duffus straight onto Lady Hammond, Kempt Road, Bedford Highway, ramp onto Joe Howe, right on Dutch Village, right on Titus to Lacewood. Not only would this provide much more direct downtown to Clayton Park service by not dicking around all over Halifax, but it would provide a link between Clayton Park and north end Halifax which right now is missing. But personally I'm a big fan of "express routes" (not in the limited-stop MetroLink style, but just routes which bypass a lot of nonsense), and Metro Transit has to maximize the potential of every route they create due to limited funding and resources... this is why I would never want to be a transit planner.
That would be a nice route. When i created mine i was just thinking of servicing Chebucto not other roads. If it needs more capacity it could extend down to Bayers Road Terminal on Desmond and just loop back up Dutch Village (from experience that would add approx. 3-4 minutes maximum) not adding much time. If it doesnt require this loop then on the inbound buses from Titus it could turn down Main Ave and go on the Bfd Hwy/Kempt Rd via the bus only ramp.

hfx_chris
Aug 7, 2008, 12:00 AM
Just heard from a friend the details on August's scheduled route changes. Aside from the regular schedule adjustments, there's some good news both for people working at the new RIM office, as well as folks traveling from Lower Sackville or Bedford to Bayers Lake - a new route 89 Bedford is to be introduced. Routing is as follows, in his words: "Service will operate from Lacewood terminal to Cobequid Terminal.
Via Lacewood Dr, Parkland Dr, Kearney Lake, Bluewater Rd, Hammonds
Plains Rd, Symonds Rd, Innovation Dr (service to RIM), Hammonds Plains
Rd, Bedford Hwy, Cobequid Terminal."

Also the route 63, which currently provides rush hour only service from the Sportsplex/Bridge Terminal to Woodside will now provide all day 30-minute service in both directions. The route will still terminate in Woodside during the rush hour trips, but the non-peak trips will continue up the Hwy 111 and terminate at Penhorn. Finally, Woodside to Penhorn service. Incidently, the route 63 as it currently is changes into a route 65 at Woodside, which travels to Penhorn and beyond anyway, so there will still be connections between those points during rush hour.

He also claims the next order of buses should be articulated ("accordion"). Unknown if they're for MetroLink or regular service, but I would bet on regular service. I don't think they're planning to extend MetroLink any time soon - although I did overhear a driver talking to another driver that a Tantallon MetroLink route may be in the cards...

Dmajackson
Aug 7, 2008, 2:25 AM
That Route 89 sounds like a great idea. Many Bedfordians have doctors or just want to shop in the Lacewood area. This serves Kerney Lake, Bedford, Lwr Sackville, Bedford West Business Campus, Lacewood, Wdgewood and indirectly Kingswood and Hammonds Plains. If we get any more routes out here we'll have to consider take over #'s 90-99. :D

Now all we need is the fast ferry and I'll stop complaining about the buses out here...:yes:

reddog794
Aug 7, 2008, 5:44 AM
Or an articulated Bedford link in the mean time.

I wonder if any of the new buses are going to Burnside. I'd imagine they would service DC a bit more as well, to improve that economic shot.

someone123
Aug 7, 2008, 6:15 AM
That Route 89 sounds like a great idea. Many Bedfordians have doctors or just want to shop in the Lacewood area. This serves Kerney Lake, Bedford, Lwr Sackville, Bedford West Business Campus, Lacewood, Wdgewood and indirectly Kingswood and Hammonds Plains. If we get any more routes out here we'll have to consider take over #'s 90-99. :D

I'm guessing there will be more routes in the next few years as more development happens in the area. RIM is just one part of a larger office park and there will be residential development along the lines of Bedford South happening between Kearney Lake/H. Plains/102.

The Tantallon area must be growing fairly quickly as well.

hfx_chris
Aug 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
Or an articulated Bedford link in the mean time.

I wonder if any of the new buses are going to Burnside. I'd imagine they would service DC a bit more as well, to improve that economic shot.

The problem as I see it with Dartmouth Crossing, is the two routes which service it originate in east Dartmouth, specifically Portland Hills. The 72 should continue to service DC, but the route 56 should never have been put in the way it was, it should be running from the Sportsplex/Bridge terminal to DC via Victoria and Highfield.

Dmajackson
Aug 7, 2008, 5:19 PM
I imagine there will also be a new route for the Mainland Common Rec Centre area. Bedford West will get one when it is developed, the 88 will be extended to include all of Bedford Commons, a new route should loop around Bedford South/Hemlock Ravine, and imagine the Sambro Loop might get a route eventually.

All in due time though...:D

hfx_chris
Aug 7, 2008, 6:13 PM
I imagine there will also be a new route for the Mainland Common Rec Centre area.
That area is already pretty well covered for transit...

reddog794
Aug 7, 2008, 7:42 PM
I wonder if they are going to improve the bus service inside of Burnside. Alot of people avoid the bus if they work there, unless they work on Ilsley, or Burnside drive, because they can't get around very well outside of those two drags.

Dmajackson
Aug 7, 2008, 8:33 PM
I believe they are planning to have shuttle buses for Burnside (like what they want downtown).

hfx_chris
Aug 7, 2008, 9:23 PM
Yeah, that's the plan - also a Community Shuttle for Cole Harbour, Sackville or Bedford and one for Clayton Park I believe. But like all things Transit does, while the idea behind it is okay, the execution is all wrong. They're planning to use smaller Access-A-Bus style vehicles. Yeah, I'd love to see how crowded those are in Burnside during rush hour...
They're also going to use those for the Metro Express / rural express service. Again, I'd be willing to bet those fill up very quickly.

reddog794
Aug 8, 2008, 6:52 PM
The next big thing, "Accordion Access-a-Bus"

hfx_chris
Aug 9, 2008, 3:13 AM
Huh? :sly:

Dmajackson
Aug 9, 2008, 3:29 AM
lol...i can actually see that happening:

If we are goin to be obsessed with small buses this should the way to go:
http://www.carfree.com/cft/i033-480.jpg
Source (http://www.carfree.com/cft/i033.html)

Route #1 in ten years from now:
http://www.vanhool.com/images/bussen/AGG300.jpg
Source (http://www.vanhool.com/images/bussen/AGG300.jpg)

hfx_chris
Aug 9, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, could you imagine a double-articulated bus in downtown Halifax?

Actually, it would probably be okay as far as cornering is okay, since most drivers say the artics they have now are easier to get around corners than a regular bus, despite how it looks.

Keith P.
Aug 9, 2008, 3:47 PM

No, I can't. Barrington Street would come to a standstill and gridlock would result.

terrynorthend
Aug 9, 2008, 10:27 PM

During a snowstorm?? Lol

hfx_chris
Aug 10, 2008, 7:41 PM
During a snowstorm?? Lol

Oh yeah, the artics have a bad enough time fishtailing at the foot of Spring Garden as it is :D

hfx_chris
Aug 10, 2008, 7:41 PM
No, I can't. Barrington Street would come to a standstill and gridlock would result.

Dunno. They would be able to take on more passengers with, in theory, fewer buses.

Keith P.
Aug 10, 2008, 10:31 PM
Dunno. They would be able to take on more passengers with, in theory, fewer buses.

Except you know that the idiots that run Transit don't adjust bus frequency when a different sized bus is used. If they did we would see #10s far more frequently when the useless low-floors get assigned to that route. But we don't. They would still run these triple-artics every 5 minutes on route 1 and since every other route in town also goes down Barrington there would be no room left.

hfx_chris
Aug 11, 2008, 12:12 AM
They would still run these triple-artics every 5 minutes on route 1 and since every other route in town also goes down Barrington there would be no room left.

No, they would continue to run regular sized low floors on the route 1 :haha:

Dmajackson
Aug 11, 2008, 4:49 AM
I would love to see one of these make the corner on Joe Howe. And we thought the vehicles have problems nowadays...;)

hfx_chris
Aug 11, 2008, 2:26 PM
Which corner? Joe Howe and Scot Street?

Dmajackson
Aug 11, 2008, 7:54 PM
Turning from the Windsor St Exchange onto Joe Howe. The corner that flips trucks all the time now...