PDA

View Full Version : Maclean's article on Larry O'Brien

waterloowarrior
Oct 27, 2007, 5:11 AM
This article gives an overview of this whole strange situation

Mayor may not

Since his election last year, Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien has been the centre of controversy. But is he a criminal?

JORDAN TIMM | October 25, 2007 |

On the morning of Feb. 10, Ottawa awoke to learn that its colourful new mayor had been accused of a serious crime.

Less than three months after high-tech entrepreneur Larry O'Brien rode his conservative platform to a surprise victory, the Ottawa Citizen ran a front page story outlining a claim by fellow candidate Terry Kilrea that O'Brien had tried to bribe him to drop out of the race. O'Brien denied all wrongdoing. A police investigation followed, the Ottawa force deferring to the Ontario Provincial Police to remove any hint of bias. As their investigation wore on, as O'Brien struggled to get his bearings in his new job, and as questions surrounding his election spread even to the floor of the House of Commons, Ottawa residents realized they'd elected a mayor who would spark controversy over more than just his plans to curb city spending.

Since donning the chain of office, Larry O'Brien has been plagued by criticism and headline-grabbing gaffes. He's struggled through a difficult relationship with his council, and has learned the hard way that running a city is nothing like running a business. "I don't think I was ready," O'Brien says now, sitting in his corner office on the second floor of a City Hall heritage building. "I should probably have had five years' experience in municipal government before I made the move. Having said that, through those first five or six months, I probably got that experience through trial and error. I got an accelerated learning process through the school of hard knocks."

It's been quite an education. "That transition from private sector CEO to consensus-builder has been difficult, I think," says Councillor Peter Hume. "I mean, he didn't start out particularly well. He called us all lazy the first week he was in power."

O'Brien come to office vowing to shake up the way Ottawa does business, and to transform it from a bland government town into a city that "swaggers." O'Brien swaggers. A self-made multi-millionaire, he has a condo at the swish 700 Sussex building, next door to the Parliament Buildings and home to the likes of Belinda Stronach. He has his eye on a World's Fair bid for the city, and is trying to bring Ottawa's CFL franchise back from the dead. During the Ottawa Senators' playoff run last year, O'Brien sported temporary Senators tattoos on his bald head. He's been the city's cheerleader-in-chief.

But after campaigning on spending restraint, to allow for a tax freeze, O'Brien supported a pay raise for councillors in his first weeks as mayor that would have goosed his own salary by $32,000. He declined the raise days later after a public outcry, but then his niece Heather Tessier was hired as his executive assistant — the best candidate for the position, the mayor's office claimed, and the appearance of nepotism be damned. In office, O'Brien showed an uncertain knowledge of the way the city and its government actually ran. "You know, the first city council meeting I saw with my own eyes, I was, in fact, chairing," he says. "And the first political debate that I ever saw with my own eyes, I was, in fact, in. When you look up the words political novice in the dictionary, my face would be there."

He did manage to secure the votes on council needed to fulfill a promise to mothball the city's light rail transit plan. The result? Ottawa was slammed with $300 million in lawsuits over contract cancellations — more than the $260 million the city would have spent had it gone ahead as planned. O'Brien maintains he's confident about the outcome of the legal actions, calling the city's defence "clear and concise and irrefutable."

Against the advice of the city's chief medical officer, O'Brien then fulfilled the third of his three campaign pledges by cancelling the city's crack pipe distribution program. It aimed to reduce the spread of serious disease among drug users in the downtown core, but O'Brien says it wasn't working; and he drew fire for comments suggesting that surrounding towns were busing their homeless into Ottawa, comparing panhandlers to pigeons and claiming that if citizens stopped "feeding" them they would go away. "I still stand by this," the mayor told Maclean's, reiterating his belief that the majority of panhandlers in Ottawa's downtown Byward Market area are addicted to crack. "These people need our help. They don't need handouts. I made the comment that the citizens of Ottawa had to resist the temptation of feeling good by giving these people a toonie, and so I came up with the allusion that it was like feeding pigeons. If you don't feed the pigeons, they'll go away. Certain people took that to mean that I had a problem with homelessness. It had nothing to do with homelessness; it had a lot to do with panhandling and the drug problem in the downtown of Ottawa."

In the summer, two of the mayor's high-profile staff resigned: spokesman Mike Patton left to run, unsuccessfully, for the PCs in the Ontario provincial election; and chief of staff Walter Robinson, a former head of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation and one-time federal Tory candidate, resigned after just six months, citing "disagreements."

And still, the mayor remains relentlessly optimistic. This fall, he's managed to keep his tax freeze on the table for the 2008 budget, and he's won enough votes to pass a contentious motion that will, for three months, give him the power to review city contracts of more than $10,000, despite vocal resistance from some councillors who think it will violate the separation of legislative and administrative branches of government. (Originally, he'd tried to win the power to approve contracts, but that didn't fly.) O'Brien feels like he's getting his bearings. "Finally," he says, "maybe for the first time since I've been elected mayor, I feel like I have the moral authority to be the head of council."

Moral authority has been hard to earn. "He had a disrespect for politicians when he came in," says long-time Councillor Rick Chiarelli. "And that's part of why he got elected, because people wanted someone who wasn't political. But I think he's started to develop respect. The year has been a big pile of poop, but we're starting to see a pony in there somewhere." Save for one thing: the spectre of the police investigation.

Terry Kilrea finished second in Ottawa's 2003 mayoral election. A candidate again in 2006, his conservative views were similar to O'Brien's, though his polling numbers were nowhere near as high as in 2003. After the election, Kilrea swore an affidavit and passed a polygraph test for the Citizen over his claims that O'Brien offered him up to $30,000 in cash to drop out of the race. He also claimed that they discussed an appointment for Kilrea, a court enforcement officer, to the National Parole Board — a claim that has dragged the names of Ottawa-area Conservative cabinet minister John Baird, former Conservative MP John Reynolds, and party campaign director Doug Finley into the investigation. O'Brien and his team were allegedly going to use their influence with those men to secure the appointment. With the reopening of Parliament last week, the federal Liberal party seized on the allegations, grilling the Conservatives in Question Period about their alleged involvement.

O'Brien has denied the allegations, and told the Citizen he had a hard time recalling any such conversations with his rival. "I fell asleep on my boat in July drinking a beer and when I woke up I was the mayor of Ottawa," he said. "That's how fast it went." His supporters say there was no need for any bribe, since support for Kilrea migrated to O'Brien the minute he entered the race.

With the OPP investigation now concluded and the case turned over to the Crown attorney for assessment, a decision is likely near on whether to charge O'Brien. "Everybody understands that this could have consequences way beyond the charges against one individual," says Councillor Clive Doucet. "You're going to end up compromising the ability of the city to run itself."

Doucet, among others, says the controversy has been a huge distraction. "It sucks the political energy out of this place like it was attached to a vacuum," says Hume. Rumours abound that some councillors are quietly positioning themselves for a shot at O'Brien's job if he resigns or is forced out in the face of criminal charges. "I've heard talk that some members of council are looking at limiting the mayor's authority over signing and over contracts if the charges involve bribery," says Chiarelli. "We'll have to look at it at that time. But I don't think he's going to resign. I think he's going to stay."

O'Brien won't be drawn on what he'll do if he's charged. "I'm looking forward to its conclusion, and that's really all I can say. I'm not nervous about it. I didn't do anything wrong. I will be thoughtful and will take into consideration the citizens of Ottawa before I make a decision about what I would do."

But there's no doubt O'Brien wants the chance to realize his vision for the city. Part of his plan for Ottawa is that it be run in a style that's "low-key to the point that the citizens don't even know that they have a municipal government. That level of boredom and efficiency would be wonderful."

He grins. "Boredom is good in management." After his first 10 months in office, it must look good — both to him and to the people of Ottawa.

from

http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/article.jsp?content=200701025_10929_10929

very bizarre. I'm really curious about what's going to happen next

waterloowarrior
Oct 30, 2007, 4:25 AM
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=605c0a18-4803-407d-8922-39cbb4abfd13&k=8637
Mayor's phone records seized in OPP bribery probe

Gary Dimmock, Ottawa Citizen

Published: Monday, October 29, 2007

In late September, anti-rackets police detectives seized Mayor Larry O'Brien's personal phone logs and e-mail records from his computer at Calian Technology Ltd., a publicly traded staffing services firm he founded in 1982.

Mr. O'Brien is the subject of an Ontario Provincial Police bribery probe, launched March 27 following a report in the Citizen that documented two meetings between him and Terry Kilrea, who alleged that Mr. O'Brien offered him up to $30,000 and help to get a federal appointment if he bowed out of last year's mayoral race.

Mr. O'Brien has not been charged with any crime and none of the allegations have been proved in court. He has denied that he did anything wrong.

Mr. Kilrea, a court-enforcement officer, told the Citizen he was tempted by the alleged offer but turned it down.

Police documents released at the Ottawa court house yesterday show that the Ontario Provincial Police got two orders to seize phone and e-mail records from Bell Canada and Calian with the hopes of tracing any communication between Mr. O'Brien, Mr. Kilrea, John Reynolds, the co-chair of the last federal Tory campaign, and John Baird, a federal cabinet minister who handles appointments for the Ottawa region.

The information and material police obtained were turned in to the court, which allowed the police to use them in their investigation.

The information was obtained through what's called a production order - a relatively new police tool that allows a judge or justice of the peace to order someone other than a person under investigation to hand over information.

In police documents, Det. Sgt. Brian Mason cited two suspected offences under Section 125 of the Criminal Code: Influencing or negotiating appointments or dealing in offices.

The production order specifies that police are investigating whether: "Larry O'Brien, between the 01st of July 2006 and the 31st of August 2006 did in the expectation of a benefit of $30,000 solicit the resignation of Terry Kilrea from the City of Ottawa Mayoral race of 2006 contrary to section 125 (b) of the Criminal Code."

The order also specifies that police are investigating whether Mr. O'Brien "did procure to be given to Terry Kilrea a reward of an appointment to the National Parole Board as consideration for the co-operation by Terry Kilrea to withdraw from the 2006 mayoral race."

The order reveals that OPP detectives sought: "Images of Larry O'Brien's computer hard drive at Calian taken on August 5th, 2006 and September 2nd, 2006, related to email transactions to Larry O'Brien during his 2006 Ottawa Mayoral campaign, at address lrob@calian.com, containing any communication captured on the said computer server during the 2006 Ottawa Mayoral campaign between Larry O'Brien, Terry Kilrea, John Baird, Heather Tessier (the mayor's niece and former executive assistant at City Hall), John Light (a political aide to Nepean-Carleton MP Pierre Poilievre), John Reynolds, Tim Tierney (a former Terry Kilrea campaign worker), and other related emails. Also, an image relating to emails captured by this server related to a blackberry account with the email of larryo@bell.blackberry.net, containing any communication captured on the said computer server during the 2006 Ottawa Mayoral campaign between Larry O'Brien, Terry Kilrea, John Baird, Heather Tessier, John Light, John Reynolds, Tim Tierney and other related emails."

The other production order, served to Bell Canada's security department shows police were looking for the following: "Subscriber details and telephone tolls from July 11th, 2006 to July 14th, 2006 for Bell Mobility cellular telephone number 613-290-1911 (the mayor's cellphone). Subscriber details and telephone tolls from July 11th, 2006 to July 14th, 2006 for Bell telephone number 613-562-3641 (the mayor's home phone, which doesn't have voice mail set up). Any additional telephone numbers associated to Larry O'Brien's address at G107-700 Sussex Drive Ottawa Ontario, K1N 1K4 as well as associated subscriber details and telephone tolls from July 11th, 2006 to July 14th, 2006 for these numbers. The subscriber information for numbers listed within the tolls either to or from the above noted telephone numbers."

Days after the Citizen featured e-mail correspondence from Mr. Baird, Mr. O'Brien and Mr. Kilrea, the OPP won a search warrant to seize hundreds of e-mails. Some of those e-mails showed that Mr. Kilrea messaged Mr. Baird, then the president of Treasury Board, asking if his name had been put in for an appointment.

Mr. Baird replied that he knew nothing about it.

Mr. Baird was interviewed by the OPP on May 4, at 9:01 a.m. and, according to a summary of his recorded statement, told detectives that "he was never approached by anyone in regards to this appointment." The police summary noted that Mr. Baird "did get a phone call from Larry O'Brien either the morning of, or the night before regarding an article that was about to come out in the Citizen. It was to give him (John Baird) a heads up and about ten (10) days later the story appeared in the Ottawa Citizen."

The summary of the Baird interview continues: "Baird said he never spoke to John Reynolds about the issue and he does not recall making any phone calls or e-mails to people regarding this incident."

Mr. Reynolds has denied discussing any alleged offer.

According to a summary of Mr. O'Brien's recorded interview with OPP detectives, the mayor said: "He doesn't recall sending Baird an e-mail but he believes he called John Reynolds."

In the same statement, according to the summary, Mr. O'Brien said he "called someone to make inquiries as to whether or not what he had said was improper and as a result of a call he learned that it was not."

Mr. O'Brien also acknowledged that even taking to Mr. Kilrea as he had was "offside," but that he didn't know how far offside.

In a Jan. 12, taped interview with the Citizen, Mr. O'Brien acknowledged that he spoke to Mr. Kilrea about his campaign debt, and said that he spoke to his lawyer about what he could and couldn't do to entice anyone to enter or exit the race. He said he never said nor did anything inappropriate.

At the request and expense of the Citizen, Mr. Kilrea swore to his allegations in an affidavit, and later passed a polygraph about its contents.

Gary Dimmock is a senior writer at the Citizen
and can be reached at gdimmock@thecitizen.canwest.com. or at 613.291.2827.

Rathgrith
Oct 31, 2007, 11:18 PM
phone, computer records?

Why don't people burn these things so the line doesn't follow back to them?

eemy
Nov 2, 2007, 2:44 AM
Ontario police seek Baird's expenses in probe of Ottawa mayor (http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=9e082afe-1042-401b-8620-0c893bfe5c19&k=51518)
Patrick Dare and Gary Dimmock , CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ontario Provincial Police officers investigating a bribery allegation against Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien are probing an alleged evening at a local restaurant reportedly attended by the mayor and then-Treasury Board president John Baird.

But Baird, the senior federal minister in the Ottawa region, says he never had dinner with the mayor at Hy's Steakhouse.

The police used a production order to get information about an evening at Hy's sometime between July 11 and Aug. 8 last year, reportedly attended by Baird, O'Brien and Greg Strong, a former business associate of the mayor's.

Production orders are a new police tool, authorized by a judge or justice of the peace, that allow police to get information from people who aren't subjects of an investigation.

Some court documents for the Hy's probe were released Tuesday at the Ottawa courthouse.

Det.-Sgt. Brian Mason was seeking credit card receipts for dinner or drinks payments made by any of the three men, O'Brien's company, Calian Technology, or the Curam Group, Strong's public relations company.

The officer was also seeking documentation for reservations any of the three men may have made and the names of Hy's staff who may have served the three men throughout the evening.

Information obtained under the production order was turned in to court this week, which allows police to use it in the investigation.

O'Brien has been under investigation since March, after an Ottawa Citizen story in which former mayoral candidate Terry Kilrea said O'Brien offered him up to $30,000 to cover his campaign expenses and offered to help him get an appointment to the National Parole Board if he dropped out of the race for Ottawa mayor.

Kilrea, a court enforcement officer, has said he considered the offer and decided against it.

He dropped out of the mayor's race anyway and O'Brien, a businessman, won the fall 2006 election despite his lack of political experience.

O'Brien had been elected to no public office until he beat former mayor Bob Chiarelli and former city councillor Alex Munter for the mayor's job.

No one has been charged in the case and none of the allegations against O'Brien have been proven in court. The mayor denies he did anything wrong.

Reached Tuesday, O'Brien said he never talked about the matter with Baird. He issued this prepared statement Tuesday night through his lawyer, Vincent Clifford:

"Today, Mayor O'Brien has been asked repeatedly by various media representatives about a purported meeting at a restaurant with John Baird regarding Terry Kilrea. Mayor O'Brien vehemently denies ever engaging in a discussion with John Baird regarding the possibility of procuring a parole board appointment, or any other benefit, for Terry Kilrea."

In an interview Tuesday night, Baird said he never had a dinner appointment with O'Brien and Strong, but, "I may have bumped into them."

He said Hy's is a busy restaurant two blocks from his office that he goes to frequently, so he meets a lot of government people and journalists there.

Baird said he has checked his diary to confirm his memory and that there was no dinner appointment with O'Brien or Strong.

Kilrea has said he e-mailed Baird, after meeting with O'Brien, to inquire about a possible appointment to the parole board. Baird's e-mail response was that he knew nothing about the matter.

On Tuesday, Baird said he's co-operating fully with the investigation, but that the suggestion that the Conservatives were about to hand Kilrea an appointment is false.

"I never discussed any appointment of Terry Kilrea with anyone," Baird said Tuesday. "No one ever asked me to get this guy appointed. If they had, I wouldn't have."

Baird said the Conservatives were in the process of bringing in the Federal Accountability Act last year, so the last thing they'd want to do is make questionable appointments in his backyard.

"I'm the accountability guy," said Baird. "Qualified government appointments was one of the things I was working to put in."

Baird said he has been following the investigation in the news media, but he's not happy about being associated with the story.

"I don't like being pulled into this because I'm clean on it," he said.

Strong declined to comment Tuesday on the alleged Hy's Steakhouse meeting.

"I'm not getting into this stuff. I have no comment," said Strong.

The summary of a May 4 police interview with Baird - used to support a search warrant served on another person as part of the investigation - says that after Kilrea e-mailed Baird, he then visited Baird at his House of Commons office.

Baird said he knew nothing about an appointment and told Kilrea that he didn't think Kilrea had the capacity for a National Parole Board job.

Baird told police he liked Kilrea but, in good conscience, he would not be able to support him in an appointment.

The summary of an April police interview with Conservative organizer John Light said he was supporting Kilrea in the mayoral race and so wasn't interested when he was asked to run O'Brien's campaign. But Light said Strong told him not to worry and that Kilrea would be offered something.

© Ottawa Citizen 2007

Wouldn't it be nice if Baird's name got sullied in this whole affair too?

adam-machiavelli
Nov 2, 2007, 4:14 AM
That would be too good to be true.

AuxTown
Nov 2, 2007, 2:54 PM
Baird is a mettling dufus. I hope he never sticks his nose into our municipal politics again.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 2, 2007, 2:58 PM
I think it would be soooo perfect if Baird gets in trouble for this. Karma baby, it always comes around to bite you in the ass. :P

Rathgrith
Nov 2, 2007, 3:06 PM
^^ Especially with another looming election. Things will get interesting. Hopefully.

waterloowarrior
Dec 8, 2007, 3:26 PM
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=434eaa06-41b7-4e11-a193-72742a113568&k=10697

Police intend to charge O'Brien

Mayor says he never offered parole board job to Kilrea in exchange for dropping out of race

Gary Dimmock and Jake Rupert, The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Saturday, December 08, 2007

The Citizen has learned that police intend to charge Ottawa Mayor Larry

O'Brien following an exhaustive bribery probe into allegations that he offered an opponent up to $30,000 and help to get a federal appointment if he dropped out of the 2006 mayoral race.

The charges, under Section 121 of the Criminal Code of Canada, could be laid as early as Monday morning.

clynnog
Dec 9, 2007, 12:12 AM
Baird is a mettling dufus. I hope he never sticks his nose into our municipal politics again.

Never have more relevant words been said about Baird...

s3n
Dec 10, 2007, 8:48 PM
Will there be a re-election if O'Brien does have to step down? I know of other cities that carried on without their mayor in cases of death/termination, but we're barely a year into this council's term.

ajldub
Dec 10, 2007, 8:50 PM
Wow this story is getting BIG. I don't know if a political career, even in the bush leagues of eastern ontario municipal politics, can survive this much bad press...

eemy
Dec 10, 2007, 9:18 PM
I'm really really hoping that John Baird gets charged with something. I absolutely despise that man. O'Brien has been growing on me since he took office, but I still just loath Baird.

clynnog
Dec 10, 2007, 9:30 PM
I'm really really hoping that John Baird gets charged with something. I absolutely despise that man. O'Brien has been growing on me since he took office, but I still just loath Baird.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that Baird can't remember if he had a meeting or not with O'Brien at Hy's....no matter how busy you are you would remember that. I believe he does have a fall back crux position that he may have run into O'Brien at Hy's by chance.

BlackRedGold
Dec 11, 2007, 3:41 PM
O'Brien has been growing on me since he took office,

If you see your doctor, he can prescribe some ointment that will take care of it.