PDA

View Full Version : Favorite restaurant(s) in Halifax?

Pages : [1] 2

skyscraper_1
Oct 21, 2007, 3:22 PM
Out of curiosity what is your favorite restaurant(s) in Halifax. My favorite has to be 'Your fathers mustache' and 'Rouges Roast'. For more simple meals I love the Med on Barrington.

terrynorthend
Oct 21, 2007, 10:05 PM
I love Seven, Onyx and Bitter End. Of course these are mucho dinaro and therefore special occasion places. For more everyday fare I like The Economy Shoeshop, especially the little bar at the northmost end.

hollistreet
Oct 21, 2007, 10:49 PM
Try Anatolia and Turkish Delight for great Turkish food. The best pizza can be found at Morris East, just west of Barrington on the south side.

Wishblade
Oct 22, 2007, 12:23 AM
I love eating at the Pogue Fado. But for food on the run, anything from pizza corner will do me just fine :P.

alps
Oct 22, 2007, 12:26 AM
Swiss Chalet :cool:

I went to a new little takeout type place called "Noodle Nook" the other week on Blowers Street, it was kind of expensive but quite good.

Jonovision
Oct 22, 2007, 2:15 AM
My favorites would be Salties, The Economy Shoe Shop, and Gingers Lemon Grass.
And I also love going to Pete's Fruitique for lunch! Nothing better then Hot Potato Mondays!

skyscraper_1
Oct 22, 2007, 2:22 AM
My favorites would be Salties, The Economy Shoe Shop, and Gingers Lemon Grass.
And I also love going to Pete's Fruitique for lunch! Nothing better then Hot Potato Mondays!I love the boxes of Salad from Pete's. They are tasty!

hfx_chris
Oct 22, 2007, 2:29 AM
I never have fancy meals out (:() but for lunch you can usually find me at the Harbourside Market.

someone123
Oct 22, 2007, 6:05 AM
I also like Anatolia and Turkish Delight. Taj Mahal is good, along with Il Mercato. Deco is pretty good and has an interesting interior. There are a bunch of cheap and decent Chinese restaurants around, like Cheelin and Great Wall.

I've never actually been to the Noodle Nook, but it does seem pricey. Low prices are normally a big part of the appeal of places like that.

phrenic
Oct 22, 2007, 1:17 PM
Dodo's Cafe and BBQ was my favorite place in the city until it closed last month.:hell:

Now i'm serching for a new favorite.

Wishblade
Oct 22, 2007, 1:19 PM
Dodo's Cafe and BBQ was my favorite place in the city until it closed last month.:hell:

Now i'm serching for a new favorite.

I used to love going to the North End Diner for lunch, until it burned down last winter :(. I know how you feel :hell:

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 22, 2007, 8:21 PM
Seven, The Argyle, Opa, The Ardmore Tea Room, Mr. Chang's, The Fireside, Alexandra's, Salty's, KOD, Armdale Pizza (best BBQ chicken pizza in Halifax), Shoe Shop, Doraku, Freeman's

I could go on for days... growing up off of Quinpool, some of those places are solid. Remember Hogies?

keninhalifax
Oct 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
Don't eat out much, but I went to the Wooden Monkey this weekend and it was fantastic! I had the "Haddock with a flair" (grilled with salsa) and a pint of Tall Ship Amber, which is fresh from tap. Mmmm...

Halifax Hillbilly
Oct 24, 2007, 5:12 PM
Mexico Lindo in Fairview has some pretty fantastic Mexican.

I agree with everyone who's pointed out Cheelin and Turkish Delight. Both are nice, kinda slide under the radar.

Talay Thai! Awesome spring rolls, pad thai, and the curries are all awesome too.

someone123
Oct 24, 2007, 6:42 PM
Talay Thai is pretty good too.

Mexico Lindo is okay, but I wish Halifax had more of a variety of Mexican restaurants/burrito places (that's a pretty common complaint across Canada).

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 24, 2007, 7:04 PM
Does Turkish Delight have Döner kebab?

beyeas
Oct 24, 2007, 7:56 PM
Talay Thai is pretty good too.

Mexico Lindo is okay, but I wish Halifax had more of a variety of Mexican restaurants/burrito places (that's a pretty common complaint across Canada).

yeah I used to live in New Mexico (close to Santa Fe) and am hugely missing truly good mexican food. Mexico Lindo is ok, but is still really trying to aim it towards a watered-down canadian audience. It is the best Mexican in Halifax, but that bar is set pretty low.

someone456
Mar 24, 2008, 3:07 PM
The Taj Mahal on South for a curry is outstanding. The new CUT Steakhouse if you want a truly amazing dining experience. It isn't cheap, but if you want cheap go to the Midtown. You get what you pay for.

Keith P.
Mar 24, 2008, 10:27 PM
In no particular order, here are some of the places I like:

Tareks
The Hungry Chilli
Gio
Gingergrass
Il Mercato
Fireside
Milamodo

Dmajackson
Mar 25, 2008, 12:24 AM
No particular order but i like:

Il Mercato
McKelvies
Keg
Brewdebakers
Salties

Barrington south
Jul 20, 2009, 5:29 PM
I love Indian food. And one of two Indian places in town has moved. Curry Village has moved from Clyde to Dresden Row, north of spring Garden....I will always remember eating there one time,
and sitting behind me was one of the most beautiful woman I have seen in my entire life.....The greasy owner would not stop harassing this lovely young lady while she was trying to eat, and he was ignoring me and everyone else in the place......so I got up and gave him a lecture in front of everyone and stormed out!!...

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 20, 2009, 8:05 PM
Anybody know where you can get really good kebab? Last time I orderded it, I didn't get the type you would find in most european cities.

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 20, 2009, 8:10 PM
Oh, btw Barrington, do I get bonus points if I say HH? lol

Barrington south
Jul 20, 2009, 9:49 PM
Anybody know where you can get really good kebab? Last time I orderded it, I didn't get the type you would find in most european cities.
Considering the origins of a "kebab" are Arabic, and are not native to Europe, I would give Anatolia restaurant a try, or considering that you are on a no longer "Ballin"...try Turkish Delight.....
And yes I am aware that Turkish culture is not technically Arabic, but the two cultures have been heavily influence by each other, and I think the Turks do a better job at the Kebab than the Arabs.....
for the most part.....

WARNING....

I have not eaten at either restaurant however,
and am just talking an educated guess....so I hope it works out if you go to either.....
Anitollia is supposed to be quiet desent....but like I said, Turkish Delight is probably more along the lines of your non-ballin budget now that you are no longer staking chips at one of big 5....

Barrington south
Jul 20, 2009, 10:46 PM
Considering the origins of a "kebab" are Arabic, and are not native to Europe, I would give Anatolia restaurant a try, or considering that you are on a no longer "Ballin"...try Turkish Delight.....
And yes I am aware that Turkish culture is not technically Arabic, but the two cultures have been heavily influence by each other, and I think the Turks do a better job at the Kebab than the Arabs.....
for the most part.....

WARNING....

I have not eaten at either restaurant however,
and am just talking an educated guess....so I hope it works out if you go to either.....
Anatolia is supposed to be quiet desent....but like I said, Turkish Delight is probably more along the lines of your non-ballin budget now that you are no longer staking chips at one of big 5....

Wordly, I checked it out for you,
as I am now "Mr. spring garden"....

amongst many other things.....

DO NOT GO TO TURKISH DELIGHT!!!!

I thought because it was opened by the same people as Anatolia it would be similar,just more budjet......
WRONG...first off, they fry their Kebabs....TOTALLY WRONG, second, they appear to be using meat usually reserved for dog food....and lastly, the bloke cooking looks like an ex-garbage man

Now Anitollia....is totally authentic....cooked over charcoal embers....soooo much better....this is what u would of had in europe....that is if you had the real thing....try saving up you flow, and try it.....I give it my seal of approval.....and I know a lot about food dude

Takeo
Jul 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
Tareks
Hungry Chilli
Milamodo
Mezza

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 21, 2009, 4:26 AM
Wordly, I checked it out for you,
as I am now "Mr. spring garden"....

amongst many other things.....

DO NOT GO TO TURKISH DELIGHT!!!!

I thought because it was opened by the same people as Anatolia it would be similar,just more budjet......
WRONG...first off, they fry their Kebabs....TOTALLY WRONG, second, they appear to be using meat usually reserved for dog food....and lastly, the bloke cooking looks like an ex-garbage man

Now Anitollia....is totally authentic....cooked over charcoal embers....soooo much better....this is what u would of had in europe....that is if you had the real thing....try saving up you flow, and try it.....I give it my seal of approval.....and I know a lot about food dude

Oh I am a foodie as well and what I'm looking for is more like "street meat" version, almost average donair quality, like doner kebab. The more authentic Turkish doner is usually served on a plate, but is generally the same quality as the other forms unless you go to one of the type of places you visit. When I lived in Amsterdam I lived off of the cheaper wrap or pita style (almost like the donair, except less greasy and different sauce and meatloaf) with the delicious hot sauce and garlic sauce (different from our garlic sauce).

I went into Turkish Delight and the guy didn't seem to know what I was referring to and I left. Its massive in Germany and there is a whole wikipedia article dedicated to it that includes mention of our donair form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_kebab

Barrington south
Jul 21, 2009, 9:29 AM
Ohh a Doner Kebab as it is called in the U.K...where it also massive, as in Germany. Don't no much about fast food.....

Keith P.
Jul 21, 2009, 9:58 PM
I read the Wiki article and every variation on this regardless of the country seems equally disgusting...

Doggard
Jul 22, 2009, 12:29 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but the food at Shiraz (1240 Hollis Street) is great, very authentic Persian. If you like hot sauce then make sure you ask for it. The restaurant is about the size of a postage stamp, plus, the guys that run the place are too nice.:tup:

Haliguy
Jul 22, 2009, 12:40 AM
My favorites are Athens, the Economy Shoe Shop, Mezza, The Wooden Monkey.

Dmajackson
Jul 22, 2009, 12:57 AM
Il Mercato is awesome along with the Keg, and Cafe Chianta. :)

Aya_Akai
Jul 22, 2009, 1:17 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but the food at Shiraz (1240 Hollis Street) is great, very authentic Persian. If you like hot sauce then make sure you ask for it. The restaurant is about the size of a postage stamp, plus, the guys that run the place are too nice.:tup:

I've always been curious about that place, thanks for the suggestion... I figured just where it was, how it looked (a little shady lookin')...that it was a front for "something" lol. Now I know, I'll have to go try!

Barrington south
Jul 22, 2009, 1:48 AM
Cafe Chianta. :)
Like their rabbit a lot, their Caesar salad is also descent

Barrington south
Jul 22, 2009, 2:05 AM
My fav 5 (in no order) are.....Mosaic, Seven, Stories fine dining...(absolutely love all the exotic wild game they prepare.....and they re-invent their menu every couple of monthes).... and fiasco....I truly love high end seafood too, so my choice for that is the 5 fishermen

These are not where I do my partying, so I am not including places like the shue shop, whose scene....while not what it used to be ...I like....but who's food has become unbearable

Ohhh and just so y'all don't think I got a silver spoon up my ass, I love getting drunk at bubba ray's, watching European soccer or UFC or getting hammered on the Mustache patio on a glorious day

Man, I know some dirty ass secrets about he owner of Mezza....hehe

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 22, 2009, 2:08 AM
I love rabbit... deer venison is ultra baller.

Yeah, kebab is "fast food", but I wouldn't call it disgusting... I've had alot of shitty supposed cuisine (especially in Halifax).

Now Toronto and Montreal are both killin it... my friend's dad is one of the biggest chefs in Canada and has such creativity. Lobster Poutine anyone? Sounds gross but it is amazing...

Barrington south
Jul 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=worldlyhaligonian;4369123].. deer venison is ultra baller.

QUOTE]

very true....but caribou is the best meat I have ever eaten......by a mile.....when eaten rare...it is impossibly succulent, incredibly flavorful and it's tenderness makes the finest beef grade seem like hoarse meat

Barrington south
Aug 30, 2009, 11:19 PM
Got a juicy piece of gossip here!!!...
Ray Bear, the owner of the quasi-fine dinning res.

BEAR RESTAURANT

is in serious financial trouble it seems....his partner has pulled out, he owes over $500,000 to creditors and contractors.....

he is on the verge of filing for barcrupcy....

and I've noticed in the last few days he has a nice new sandwich board out front with the entire menu on it, he has started putting table and chairs on the side walk, to create as mush of a patio as possible for the location, and pulled back the curtains and opened the main doors, so people can actually tell it's an establishment....Hmmmmm......maybey he should have thought of all these tactics before....his business was about to kick the can.....i'm starting to sound like frank magazine here.....not good...

DigitalNinja
Aug 31, 2009, 2:58 AM
Is that place any good at all?

Also, everyone has to find their way out to wolfville to go to actons, the food is great for fine dining, portions are excellent, and it's not to expensive to cause its so far out they dont charge as much

Barrington south
Aug 31, 2009, 12:20 PM
the food is supposed to be decent, but over priced and not by any means inspirational.....one stand out item that many love is the Spicy Dragon Sushi Roll

Takeo
Aug 31, 2009, 1:26 PM
Is that place any good at all?

Bear? I don't know. I'd been to Gio a few times when he was still there however and it was pretty good.

Halifax Hillbilly
Aug 31, 2009, 10:15 PM
Il Mercato is awesome along with the Keg, and Cafe Chianta. :)

Il Mercato I enjoy, although the dining room can get very loud. I wasn't impressed with Chianta, although to be fair its been five years since I ate there. My impression is that you can get better food for less at Il Mercato.

Two of my favourites are Chives and La Perla, in Dartmouth. Not overly adventurous cuisine but very, very well done and reasonable prices.

Keith P.
Aug 31, 2009, 10:30 PM
Got a juicy piece of gossip here!!!...
Ray Bear, the owner of the quasi-fine dinning res.

BEAR RESTAURANT

is in serious financial trouble it seems....his partner has pulled out, he owes over $500,000 to creditors and contractors.....

he is on the verge of filing for barcrupcy....

Very old news. That happened back in the spring. Somehow he has managed to get by.

and I've noticed in the last few days he has a nice new sandwich board out front with the entire menu on it, he has started putting table and chairs on the side walk, to create as mush of a patio as possible for the location, and pulled back the curtains and opened the main doors, so people can actually tell it's an establishment....Hmmmmm......maybey he should have thought of all these tactics before....his business was about to kick the can.....i'm starting to sound like frank magazine here.....not good...

You sound a little jealous, to be truthful.

I dunno if he will make a go of it or not. They spent a lot of money on the space and that shiny stainless open kitchen. You go there not because you're hungry necessarily but for the food experience. Are there enough folks out there willing to pay for that? Who knows, but Ray will find out I expect. I wish him well.

someone123
Aug 31, 2009, 11:19 PM
I went to Bear on a random weeknight during my last visit and it was semi-busy. The restaurant business must be very tough - it is hard telling what will or won't catch on and you have to be able to operate for many months to find out.

At this point I think Halifax actually has a pretty great variety of restaurants given the size of the city. I am usually a little surprised when I go back to visit and find that the quality of food there is often just as good as in Vancouver or Toronto, and for some things is better.

Barrington south
Aug 31, 2009, 11:30 PM
Bear? I don't know. I'd been to Gio a few times when he was still there however and it was pretty good.

YeaH, he had a very good rep at gio, for some unknown reason it did not translate to BEAR as well as would have been expected

Barrington south
Aug 31, 2009, 11:56 PM
Very old news. That happened back in the spring. Somehow he has managed to get by.

the owing $500 000 to creditors is old to me...the being on the verge of bankruptcy was new to me

You sound a little jealous, to be truthful.

Keith, I'm not really sure how to to respond to that one...HAHAHA....considering, after only the SHUE SHOP I'M a owner of one most successful places in town, I'm not really sure where you're coming from.....and ya know ...like...we already have a sandwich board...a massive patio....and our doors are always open, so I haven't a clue what your prattling on about.....jealous of a business on it's death bed?!!!...no....being critical of a bad business venture?....yes

You go there not because you're hungry necessarily but for the food experience.

well that's just the thing Keith......the general consensus is....it is not a impressive food exsperiance....desant yes.....over priced...yes....but, like I said, insperational?.....not a chance....and if his sole purpose was a exceptional food....fail.....if his purpose was a thriving business....on the verge of fail

Keith, I don't know you suddenly have a fly in your bonnet over me...I wish all the success and happiness in the world to MR Bear.....i'm simply reporting gossip....hell I love having a thriving res....bar business around me.....it ad's to the scene and makes for more of a happin' barrigton south destination....

Keith P.
Sep 1, 2009, 1:06 AM
Keith, I don't know you suddenly have a fly in your bonnet over me...

I don't. I haven't been to your place in years, but I liked it when I used to go there. Seems to me there is always an inordinate interest among those in the food/drink biz in what their competitors are doing though, and I detected that in your post. Maybe you need to tend the home fires a bit when I read some of the reviews about your place in the Coast. But hey, Bear has some mixed reviews too; some love it, some less so. It's a fickle business and I'm glad you seem to be doing well.

When talking about success, though, don't forget that the Shoe Shop went bankrupt last year.

Barrington south
Sep 1, 2009, 2:42 AM
When talking about success, though, don't forget that the Shoe Shop went bankrupt last year.

I think that had more to do with the Marque, seahoarse, and to a lesser existent the pressgang than the shoe shop

I also think this guy moon88 who states...on the coast... "People need to now a thing or two before they come here"....and then goes on to claim we have pizza on the menu?!!!...wtf.....we have never had pizza on the menu....ever!!...and last time I checked, braised lamb shank, 12 oz AAA grain fed free range steak, lobster fettachine, Cornish pasty, smoked salmon club on rye sandwich, madras chicken curry, jambalaya and pork tenderloin are not basic pub food....so I don't put much value in the coast reveiws......we are in the process of ordering new axminster carpets from England, however....that point is valid...I admit

Barrington south
Sep 1, 2009, 3:14 AM
[QUOTE=Keith P.;4434204] Seems to me there is always an inordinate interest among those in the food/drink biz in what their competitors are doing though,

your spot on with that one keith....in many ways the res/bar scene is like a gaggle of popular girls at the local high school....catty as hell, gossip is rife, when a new player enters the sceane....the claws come out...and nothing is loved more than seeing the once mighty fall

and I'm glad you seem to be doing well.

thanks man..apprieciate it....hopefully, you'll come out to the Christmas party
QUOTE]

JET
Sep 1, 2009, 5:06 PM
I rather like Jamiesons in Cole Harbour, and Cousins and Il Mercato in Halifax. All are a bit of a trip from the DDT; maybe something nice will open there. JET

Helladog
Sep 1, 2009, 9:11 PM
Is Alfredo, Winstein & Ho's still in the Dome?

Keith P.
Sep 1, 2009, 10:58 PM
Is Alfredo, Winstein & Ho's still in the Dome?

Long gone.

Barrington south
Sep 2, 2009, 1:36 AM
Winstein & Ho's

was that a fine dining restaurant

Takeo
Sep 2, 2009, 1:54 AM
was that a fine dining restaurant

Not exactly. LOL.

Barrington south
Sep 2, 2009, 1:42 PM
:p

DigitalNinja
Sep 2, 2009, 9:31 PM
I went to ilmercato the other day and the mushrooms wern't washed that were put in our dishes, they still had dirt on them.

Barrington south
Sep 2, 2009, 10:11 PM
man Mosaic is hurting big time....love the place....in my top 5....mostly for it's sex appeal .....mabey they should remove the....curried rabbit poutine from the menu

Keith P.
Sep 2, 2009, 10:58 PM
man Mosaic is hurting big time....love the place....in my top 5....mostly for it's sex appeal .....mabey they should remove the....curried rabbit poutine from the menu

I was there a few weeks ago at suppertime... lots of stuff on the menu unavailable... nobody else in the place... if it wasn't for their latenight hookup business they looked like they were ready to close. A shame.

Barrington south
Sep 3, 2009, 12:38 AM
if it wasn't for their latenight hookup business they looked like they were ready to close. A shame.

so true

Helladog
Sep 3, 2009, 1:16 AM
Not exactly. LOL.

That was a good restaurant tho. I like Daryl's, near Fenwick...another of my favs.

Barrington south
Sep 3, 2009, 3:03 AM
Helladog....the most interesting man in the maritimes!!!:cheers:

"I don't always drink beer....but when I do......."......lol

Helladog
Sep 3, 2009, 8:34 PM
Helladog....the most interesting man in the maritimes!!!:cheers:

"I don't always drink beer....but when I do......."......lol

"Stay thirsty my friends!"

Barrington south
Sep 3, 2009, 11:55 PM
:haha:

Keith P.
Sep 21, 2009, 10:15 PM
Has Bear closed or is Chef Ray just AWOL? Mixed reports on that subject today.

Also word on the street is that Seven is going to close soon.

Barrington south
Sep 21, 2009, 10:24 PM
Also word on the street is that Seven is going to close soon.

heard the same thing

Barrington south
Sep 21, 2009, 10:28 PM
Has Bear closed or is Chef Ray just AWOL? Mixed reports on that subject today.

the word from this part of the grapevine is That Chef Bear's partner, whom used too be a silent partner, is now running operation's, not hands on of coarse, apparently he is in the publishing bus. in California

Dmajackson
Sep 22, 2009, 2:34 AM
Deluxe eatery loses namesake chef Bear
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Mon. Sep 21 - 9:20 PM

High-end Halifax chef Ray Bear says he has left a Barrington Street restaurant that faces more than $600,000 in lawsuits.

Bear Restaurant opened in November 2008 and still bears his name. But Mr. Bear said Monday he stopped working there 10 days ago.
“It owes a lot of money,” he said in a telephone interview. “There were promises there to look after it, but I just felt in my heart that business wasn’t going to be done in a correct way, so I had to leave.”

Mr. Bear, who is from Halifax, said he is looking for opportunities elsewhere.

“But I hope to return to Halifax as soon as I can.”

Court documents show several contractors are suing to recoup a total of $607,747 for renovation work done to the restaurant.

The largest suit comes from Brifox Ltd., a company that built Bear. It claims it is owed $546,638.

Brifox is suing several companies and people with connections to the project, including Mr. Bear and his financial backer, California businessman David Tabah.

Mr. Tabah heads a numbered company that owns the restaurant.

He said Monday in a telephone interview from New York that lawsuits against the restaurant have nothing to do with Mr. Bear’s departure.

“He abandoned the restaurant because he couldn’t take the pressure,” Mr. Tabah said.

He said he doesn’t know whether he’ll change the restaurant’s name.

“I have no firm plans for anything yet.”

In court documents, Brifox claims the numbered company that owns Bear Restaurant is “merely a shell, sham, a puppet or alter ego” of the people and companies named in its suit.

But in a countersuit, both Mr. Tabah and Mr. Bear deny those claims. And in court documents, they allege that much of the work by Brifox “was performed incompetently, negligently and in breach of good construction, building and installation practices.”

On top of that, “Brifox charged close to $400,000 over the agreed amount,” Mr. Tabah said in an interview.

Contractors have liens on the building, said landlord Louis Lawen. But the restaurant has been paying its rent, he said.

“If they weren’t paying rent, they wouldn’t be there,” Mr. Lawen said.

(clambie@herald.ca )

Barrington south
Sep 26, 2009, 7:35 PM
Seven closing

such a frustrating\sad state of affairs for this city, my opinion, when the argyle can survive, yet seven does not thrive, or even stay alive

my favorite place in the city

not because of the food

but because of the big city sex appeal of both the decor and people,
I did more drinking there than eating
a touch of contemporary class that just never caught on
I would of loved to have bought it as is, I defiantly would have made it a success
I hope the new owner doesn't gut the intirior....and tries to revitalize it

Barrington south
Sep 26, 2009, 7:41 PM
Tried the relatively new Portuguese\Brazilian restaurant in the former wooden monkey space, it's called PIPA

the dishes I had where VERY flavorful and quiet satisfying
their food is the pinnacle of authenticity as far as Portuguese and Brazilian cuisine is concerned

the owner's are very nice people too

I will defiantly be back

kwajo
Sep 26, 2009, 8:24 PM
I would rank the Wooden Monkey as my favourite restaurant in The Fax. Not that I've been to every other place in town, but I've been around and yet I keep coming back for their food, it really is excellent.

Barrington south
Sep 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
I question why the Monkey does not have organic milk, which can be bought at any grocery store, as I do ever day

I thought they had an all organic philosophy? why do they have only mass produced non-organic beer in bottles then?

I eat all my meat Hormone and anti-biotic free

when I asked the server if the wooden monkey's steak was free of such nasty things....she said..."all our beef is free range and grain fed"
that's great, but what does that have to do with being organic?
she went and asked the kitchen they where clueless, so I went to Pipa instead
it is also common knowledge amongst Argyle street proprietors that the Eastern Food truck delivered to them on a regular basis in there old loc.

i

Dmajackson
Oct 15, 2009, 7:24 PM
On an even playing field
Quinpool restaurants seek lounge licenses
Halifax News Net
By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News

You may be able to meet for a drink at more spots on Quinpool Road, if some restaurateurs have their way.
Some Quinpool Road restaurant owners are appealing to city hall for the same right as eateries and bistros in Bayers Lake, Dartmouth Crossing and Spring Garden Road.
Currently, most restaurants on the busy commercial strip are not allowed to serve alcohol unless a patron orders food — a zoning law dating back to 1986.
Rock Island Cafe, Mezza Mediterranean Grill and Jimmy Zelios, co-owner of It’s All Greek To Me are putting the wheels in motion to ask city hall for special permission to have lounge licenses.
“The fact that it’s not an option is detrimental to some businesses,” said Zelios, who says his current liquor license at It’s All Greek To Me suits him fine, but, this spring, he’s looking at opening another businesses on Quinpool that would go well with a lounge license. (He didn’t want to disclose what it is yet.)
Khalid Wasi, owner of Rock Island Cafe, which offers Bermuda and Carribean cuisine and operates an open mic night on Thursdays, agreed.
“We’re just trying to put our restaurants on the same level playing field as the other restaurants in the downtown and other parts of the city, like in the business parks,” he said. “To me, it’s ludicrous that we don’t have that, and we have to jump through these hoops to get it done.”
At a recent Peninsula Community Council meeting, Northwest Arm-South End Coun. Sue Uteck asked city staff to look into the request and draft a report. She said the public will have the chance to weigh in on any proposed changes along the commercial strip.
“I think that once the neighbours understand this isn’t a new bar opening up. It’s not a lounge to 2 a.m. They just want to have the ability for customers to go in to listen to music and have a beer,” she said.
But, Zelios says, Quinpool shouldn’t be an extension of the downtown with happy hours and drink specials. If given the privilege, owners and managers have to act responsibly, he adds.
“We don’t want to offend anyone in the neighbourhood. The last thing we want is people leaving our establishments and causing a disturbance on the street or damaging property,” Zelios said. “We should be able to be on the same playing field, but we can’t let it get out of hand.”
Karla Nicholson, general manager of the Quinpool Road Mainstreet District Association, is on the same page. She says it’s not fair that people can meet everywhere else in the city for a glass of wine after work, but not at most of the businesses on Quinpool Road.
“They don’t want to extend their hours. They don’t want VLTs. They’re not looking for troublemakers. They’re looking for people who want to go in and have a glass of wine after work or sit there and have a glass of wine after their dinner without breaking the law,” Nicholson said.
Three businesses on Quinpool already have lounge licenses. Freeman’s Little New York and Atlantica Hotel Halifax’s lounge licenses were grandfathered in. Athens’ lounge license was included in its development agreement.

ljones@hfxnews.ca

Keith P.
Oct 15, 2009, 11:38 PM
Adding something to the fairly barren restaurant landscape in Dartmouth, I see that It's All Greek To Me has opened their second location in the Russell Lake strip development, adjacent to the Sobey's. Should do well.

Takeo
Oct 16, 2009, 1:18 AM
Just wondering... is the title of this thread misspelt on purpose? Favor ATE. LOL :P

Jstaleness
Sep 25, 2010, 1:27 AM
Has anyone been in Chebucto Coffee yet? I'm curious. I also have read that it may expand into the second floor as a restaurant or something.

Jstaleness
Dec 9, 2010, 10:38 PM
Did I hear correct that a Baton Rouge is possibly coming to Halifax?

And...then I answered my own question I guess.
http://www.batonrougerestaurants.com/32-restaurant-en/baton-rouge-halifax-coming-soon-.html

someone123
Dec 10, 2010, 12:06 AM
I was under the impression that they are opening one in the Morse's Teas building.

habfanman
Dec 10, 2010, 12:14 AM
Not Murphys on the Water! Been there twice and it's an overpriced tourist trap.

There's a Greek place on Quinpool- Athens I think- absolutely top notch.

Jstaleness
Dec 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
Not Murphys on the Water! Been there twice and it's an overpriced tourist trap.

There's a Greek place on Quinpool- Athens I think- absolutely top notch.

There are a few greek restaurants on Quinpool. Athens is also my favorite.

Keith P.
Dec 10, 2010, 9:56 PM
Athens is the worst of the bunch. Ever since they relocated they went downhill bigtime. The lids are now running the place and they don't have a clue.

someone123
Dec 10, 2010, 10:26 PM
I haven't been to Athens in ages. It was never a high-end place but it used to have cheap, decent food. Sparta used to do cheap breakfasts that were popular with Dal students.

I finally went to Mezza when I was in Halifax in August and was impressed. Everything I had there was done well.

CorbeauNoir
Dec 29, 2010, 12:18 AM
I've been really impressed with the variety of restaurants here. Obviously the raw amount of them dosen't compare but the options in cuisine is seriously on par with that I encountered in Vancouver. Haven't had the chance to go to too many places but The Old Triangle is a solid favorite of mine. Bit pricey but I love Irish pubs to death and their seafood chowder is the best replacement for comfort food I've been able to find being on the other end of the country from home.

I just wish there was a genuinely good Indian restaurant here - given how much of a British feel Halifax has to it the lack of good curry is a bit of a shortcoming. That spot on Dresden Row (Curry House?) is okay when I'm craving some Indian but I've had way better out west.

Jstaleness
Dec 29, 2010, 12:20 AM
Is the Taj Mahal open again or is it reopening?

CorbeauNoir
Dec 29, 2010, 12:22 AM
Is the Taj Mahal open again or is it reopening?

It's open; I actually haven't had a chance to try them but I've heard a ton of bad things about them.

Dartboy
Dec 31, 2010, 11:33 PM
Im bored tonight. They kept it small and hands on and do it very well. I dont try others much as this is like home.

On the Darkness side. Moxies not bad for a chain. Porters is Hit or Miss middle of the road. Loved the Porterhouse no longer offered. YOu want big cheap servings - SAMs - get fish not steak.

halifaxboyns
Jan 3, 2011, 6:03 PM
Moxie's is okay and we've had it out west for ages. But they keep screwing witht he menu and it's very annoying. I remember one day in the summer, I decided to go for a walk and then treat myself to the penne carbonara at Moxie's. I arrived to find it had been removed and replaced. Now the item they put in it's place (I can't remember it's name) is gone.

Added to that, they took aware my shaker martini (the appletini) - which impresses me even less!

A good place I didn't get too while I was home is Zen for Chineese food (in Clayton Park). The sit down restaurant has very good service and the staff are polite, but you can also get it to go.

someone123
Jan 4, 2011, 1:09 AM
Moxie's style restaurants are very common in Vancouver -- slick looking decor but somewhat expensive and pedestrian food. They're an attempt to turn a certain kind of higher-end restaurant into a ubiquitous chain with a recognizable brand. It seems to have worked well.

Jstaleness
Oct 5, 2011, 6:39 PM
The Baton Rouge has been open for a bit now. Has anyone on here tried it yet?

Jstaleness
Oct 5, 2011, 6:51 PM
On a different note. Does anyone know what happened to Perks Coffee? I know that there was an eviction from the Lwr. Water location but I can't find out why the other locations closed. They always seemed fairly busy when I was at one.

haligonia
Oct 5, 2011, 9:30 PM

I know people who have been, and the reviews seem to be pretty negative. The atmosphere is great, but the service is lackluster and the food is mediocre at best.

eastcoastal
Oct 5, 2011, 9:44 PM
On a different note. Does anyone know what happened to Perks Coffee? I know that there was an eviction from the Lwr. Water location but I can't find out why the other locations closed. They always seemed fairly busy when I was at one.

The Quinpool location is closed... don't know much more than that.

Keith P.
Oct 5, 2011, 10:34 PM

From what I understand, the lady who bought the business from Michel got in financial trouble. Maybe she overpaid, maybe she mismanaged, I dunno. But she couldn't pay her bills and closed the whole thing down. Too bad, i always liked Perks.

Northend Nerd
Oct 5, 2011, 10:40 PM

I tried Baton Rouge last Saturday and it was really good. I had steak and my girlfriend had ribs and shrimp. Good service but you pay for it $$$.

I would have to say that my favourite restaurant in Halifax in Mary's Place on Robie. By far the best breakfast for the best price, but the rest of their menu is also very good. Licensed too :tup:

Keith P.
Oct 5, 2011, 10:44 PM

The space is very nice and I had no issues with service but I find the menu choices a bit odd. Nothing really jumped out at me as a gotta-try. What I had was fine, not outstanding but not bad either. I think they need some help in figuring out what they are. The menu choices did not make me want to go back.

PoscStudent
Oct 5, 2011, 11:50 PM

My parents went there last week and were impressed. I just got back from Halifax after a few days there, I had Jack Astor's which was good and went to Your Father's Mustache which I had heard good things about but I just found it okay.

coolmillion
Oct 6, 2011, 12:14 AM
I know people who have been, and the reviews seem to be pretty negative. The atmosphere is great, but the service is lackluster and the food is mediocre at best.

I partially agree. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing but I think it's pretty easy to make a decent burger. Mine seemed to be of the frozen variety and overpriced. The dessert on the other hand was great fresh homemade key lime pie and red velvet cake. The patio could be great because it gets late afternoon sun but there's so much traffic flying by, including trucks, that it's way too noisy. Some bushes or trellis could fix this. The inside looks great though and I will give it the benefit of the doubt and try something even more meaty.

Jstaleness
Oct 6, 2011, 12:48 AM
My parents went there last week and were impressed. I just got back from Halifax after a few days there, I had Jack Astor's which was good and went to Your Father's Mustache which I had heard good things about but I just found it okay.

What did you order at the Mustache? Their Caesar Salad is one of the reasons I go. It usually wins best salad in Metro.

PoscStudent
Oct 6, 2011, 1:48 AM
What did you order at the Mustache? Their Caesar Salad is one of the reasons I go. It usually wins best salad in Metro.

I had a pasta with an big name, it was spicy with chicken sausage and shrimp.

beyeas
Dec 5, 2011, 5:19 PM
my wife and I went to Sweet Hereafter (a cheesecake place on Quinpool) last weekend. It was really good cheesecake, and a fairly funky atmosphere that my wife enjoyed. Hopefully they do well, as it is nice to see some new variety on Quinpool.

JustinMacD
Dec 5, 2011, 5:29 PM
Can't go wrong a classic, The Bluenose II.