PDA

View Full Version : SkyTrain Station Renovations

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Jared
Jan 27, 2009, 5:35 AM
You don't need bypass tracks at every single station... just where you expect trains to pass. Normally though it's the local trains that would pull into the side track to stop in the station while express trains whiz straight through. Because Skytrain is elevated and never designed to accomodate building express trains in the first place, it would be very expensive to implement an express train system.

Waterfront - Broadway - Metrotown - New Westminster - Scott Road (Interurban terminus) - Surrey Central - (future expansion parallel to Fraser Hwy)

Not only expensive, but as I mentioned, severely dispuptive to existing service.

And you would need 4 sets of tracks (2 in each direction) at EVERY station. For Waterfront, Broadway, Metrotown etc. as you mentioned, you'd need extra tracks with new platforms, at all the other station's you'd need bypass tracks.

The frequencies on the line are simply to high for the express to share the same platform at the stops that it would stop at; it would cause a backup of trains behind it.

Spork
Jan 27, 2009, 8:20 AM
Updates:

Broadway: They have begun fencing off the area West of Broadway Station beside Scotiabank for the Mezzanine extension.

Surrey Central: They have begun sanding the tiles on the platform level for... repainting? Seems odd that they would do this before doing other renovations. Does anybody have any renders or information on what the plans are for this station's renovations?

twoNeurons
Jan 27, 2009, 5:46 PM
Platform doors are pretty cool, but.... there have been 10 accidental deaths since the system opened 23 years ago? Someone on here will know approximately how many rides have been taken in those 23 years... however many tens of millions it is, the odds of someone falling to their death on the Skytrain tracks must be absolutely minuscule. From a cost-benefit perspective, not nearly high enough to justify the millions and millions that platform doors will cost to install and maintain IMO.

It would keep the stations warmer, though. :)

The major barrier to this system, though, is not political will, it's different livery.

I'd like to see some consistency, myself. Not for platform doors, but rather, so people know where to line up for the doors and for consistent platform marking.

jlousa
Jan 27, 2009, 6:02 PM
Updates:

Broadway: They have begun fencing off the area West of Broadway Station beside Scotiabank for the Mezzanine extension.

Surrey Central: They have begun sanding the tiles on the platform level for... repainting? Seems odd that they would do this before doing other renovations. Does anybody have any renders or information on what the plans are for this station's renovations?

I think you mean the CIBC, the Scotia bank is on the northwest corner and has nothing to do with the station work.

Spork
Jan 27, 2009, 6:14 PM
Yes, CIBC is correct. I associate both with being old and smelly.

arashi_1987
Feb 14, 2009, 7:49 PM
It would keep the stations warmer, though. :)

The major barrier to this system, though, is not political will, it's different livery.

I'd like to see some consistency, myself. Not for platform doors, but rather, so people know where to line up for the doors and for consistent platform marking.

yes, air conditioning and heating of stations would be much welcomed...as well as protection from wind and rain (lougheed station is one of the worst in terms of this...but I admit it's probably the only station that has the least obstructed view without much glass)

officedweller
Mar 30, 2009, 11:34 PM
From the VIA Architecture webiste - render of Main St Station renos:

http://www.via-architecture.com/projects/mainstreetbroadwaystation/index.html

http://www.via-architecture.com/projects/mainstreetbroadwaystation/image06.jpg

Also interesting render to renovated New Westminster Station (integrated with Plaza 88 - not sure where the other track is - maybe this is on the north side of the westbound guideway):

http://www.via-architecture.com/projects/transitstationdesign/index.html

http://www.via-architecture.com/projects/transitstationdesign/image02.jpg

deasine
Mar 30, 2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks OD. The New Westminster Rendering looks a little unusual. It won't be as "open" when they have they install fare gates... that's for sure.

Also another rendering I haven't seen for Broadway STN:
http://www.via-architecture.com/projects/mainstreetbroadwaystation/image04.jpg
Source: Via Architecture

DKaz
Mar 30, 2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks OD. The New Westminster Rendering looks a little unusual. It won't be as "open" when they have they install fare gates... that's for sure.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think all they have to do is add a glass wall with the exception of a few fare gates, unless the mall is only for fare paying transit users. lol. New Westminster Station all together needs to be reorganized, like the direct elevators from street level to platform level.

Looks nice regardless, lots of light on that end. The western end of New Westminster Station will almost be 'underground' by the time development of that block is finished.

Metro-One
Mar 31, 2009, 12:07 AM
When are the renovations of Broadway Station suppose to be completed? Because so far the station looks exactly the same as before except for the relocating of the elevator and some new lights.

LeftCoaster
Mar 31, 2009, 12:33 AM
I believe the elevator work was actually a separate tender.

SpongeG
Mar 31, 2009, 12:41 AM
completion is 2010 isn't it?

The_Henry_Man
Mar 31, 2009, 1:53 AM
OMG New Westminster Station definitely needs a HUGE reno immediately!! I was there yesterday afternoon, and that place is a dump. It's dark, old, and torn apart (No offense, but the overall appearance and cleaniness of the City of New Westminster itself is probably the worst of all Metro Vancouver cities). The entrances are also quite hidden and not very safe. It has probably one of the worst station environments of the entire Skytrain system, besides Columbia (of all M/C/E-Lines).

Spork
Mar 31, 2009, 3:44 AM
Too bad they didn't go with those wood beam/glass roofs and instead installed aluminum crap over top.

Actually, on second thought, if you see the building through the end of the platform, the platform shown is the south side of the platform, so this will be part of the podium that they are building on that side.

twoNeurons
Mar 31, 2009, 5:02 AM
Too bad they didn't go with those wood beam/glass roofs and instead installed aluminum crap over top.

Actually, on second thought, if you see the building through the end of the platform, the platform shown is the south side of the platform, so this will be part of the podium that they are building on that side.

The sign says: "Train to Commercial" So if that means anything, then this image is facing East. Which would mean that yes, this would be an extension on the South Side of the Station. Which would be mean two sided boarding for East-bound trains.

--------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SRY/VCC

New Extended Platform/Mall

nname
Mar 31, 2009, 5:09 AM
The sign says: "Train to Commercial" So if that means anything, then this image is facing East. Which would mean that yes, this would be an extension on the South Side of the Station. Which would be mean two sided boarding for East-bound trains.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SRY/VCC

New Extended Platform/Mall

New West station has side platforms configuration, so the change is just to widen (and extend) the platforms without building new ones.

Mac Write
Mar 31, 2009, 9:53 AM
Boy I can't wait for that New West station build out (will I be an old man before it's built?)

metroXpress
Mar 31, 2009, 3:45 PM
http://www.lestwarog.com/newspaper/2005/anewstart_files/image001.jpg

Googled around and found this from the Vancouver Sun..kinda old though...

officedweller
Mar 31, 2009, 6:33 PM
Thanks for the platform analyses.

Allen check out the Plaza 88 thread for renders of the project's mall component.

lightrail
Apr 7, 2009, 4:30 AM
Some shots of the construction around New Westminster Station taken by me on April 6, 2009:

View from the Westbound Platform looking west
http://members.shaw.ca/david.marlor/nwa.jpg

View taken from the end of the westbound platform looking west
http://members.shaw.ca/david.marlor/nwb.jpg

The existing station.
http://members.shaw.ca/david.marlor/nwc.jpg

My question - is the station moving further west? Seems from the renders that it must be, but on the second picture, the floor level seems to be the same as the guideway, not the platform. Is the overhang for the platofrm, or noise retention? Any ideas?

metroXpress
Apr 7, 2009, 4:31 AM
Allen check out the Plaza 88 thread for renders of the project's mall component.

Thanks! :tup:

hollywoodnorth
Apr 7, 2009, 4:36 AM
this project has been poorly handled from the PR stand point all over....nothing on the translink site about this. I mean with a major project happening around/to the station you think SOMETHING would be up there...........

and you look around the NewWest City site and there is nothing........

officedweller
Apr 7, 2009, 6:47 PM
Some shots of the construction around New Westminster Station taken by me on April 6, 2009:

View taken from the end of the westbound platform looking west
http://members.shaw.ca/david.marlor/nwb.jpg

My question - is the station moving further west? Seems from the renders that it must be, but on the second picture, the floor level seems to be the same as the guideway, not the platform. Is the overhang for the platofrm, or noise retention? Any ideas?

Thanks for the pics.

From the pics, I think that the platform will probably remain separate from the retail mall - maybe that VIA Architecture render was preliminary and the concept was rejected(?). You can see in the pic that the station mezzanine level will be joined up - you can see the rebar poking from the edge of the slab on the floor below. On the floor at roughly the platform height, it looks like a clean, finished edge and the area just inside the columns looks like a mall corridor. Looks like there is a bit of a lip along the corridor, either to allow flooring in the corridor, or for drainage if the corridor is an exterior breezeway. Then again, the SkyTrain doors and the floor slab look like they may line up (maybe in future?)

SpongeG
Apr 7, 2009, 9:31 PM
i think the overhang is for noise reduction to the towers above

and i think the mall's corridor is to the right of those columns in the pics

mr.x
Apr 8, 2009, 3:10 AM
From the Buzzer blog, Broadway Station renovations:
http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php/2009/04/broadway-station-construction-update-for-march-april-2009/#more-2916

Steel support framework is now up on the west wall. The framework will hold the glass walls when they are finally installed.
http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/steelsupportframework.jpg

http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/concreteblockwalls.jpg
What’s been completed in March?
The concrete block walls at right are built to house the electrical and elevator rooms in the station.

* Concrete block walls have been built on the east side to house ancillary rooms (the electrical room, elevator machine room, etc).
* Concrete slab has been poured in the south half of the station.
* We’ve installed steel support framework along the west wall, in preparation for the installation of the glass walls.
* Underground electrical and mechanical services in the south station are complete.
* Further installation of electrical services have been completed throughout the concourse (bottom) level of the station.

What’s coming up in April?
The concrete slab poured in the south half of the station.

* Concrete work will begin on the stairs in the south station.
* Structural steel installation for the new elevator will begin.
* The installation of the exterior glass wall on the west side of the station.
* Further installation of electrical services and mechanical services throughout the concourse level of the station.
http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/concreteslabsouth.jpg

deasine
Apr 8, 2009, 3:56 AM
I noticed they opened it up much more... glad the stupid screens are gone... I wish they would replace the second level screens too =(

SpongeG
Apr 8, 2009, 4:03 AM
makes me wonder why they didn't make it with a south entrance when they opened the expo line

metroXpress
Apr 8, 2009, 4:07 AM
^ didn't think that it was necessary?

deasine
Apr 8, 2009, 4:12 AM
makes me wonder why they didn't make it with a south entrance when they opened the expo line

Hey at least they left room for it =P

mr.x
Apr 8, 2009, 4:12 AM
2040: hmmm....I wonder why they didn't bother building longer platforms for the Canada Line. :D

metroXpress
Apr 8, 2009, 4:16 AM
:previous:

2040: Why did they add the SkyTrain extension to Surrey that can only run those small Mark II cars :D

deasine
Apr 8, 2009, 4:17 AM

2040: Why did they add the SkyTrain extension to Surrey that can only run those small Mark II cars :D

No... the Surrey Extension is being built with full length platforms + the extension.

mr.x
Apr 8, 2009, 4:18 AM

Well, that doesn't really work. The cars can obviously be lengthened to much greater lengths, with platform extensions of course.

metroXpress
Apr 8, 2009, 4:24 AM
^ However, people would still want higher capacity cars like the ones in HK.
Also, you can move from Car 1 to Car 8 (if you added that many) in Mark II series...you can only move between two cars :P

mr.x
Apr 8, 2009, 4:29 AM
^ However, people would still want higher capacity cars like the ones in HK.
Also, you can move from Car 1 to Car 8 (if you added that many) in Mark II series...you can only move between two cars :P

In the future, such as a mid-life refit, the car interior seating arrangements can be rearranged for side seating like Hong Kong's trains, thus increasing capacity dramatically.

As for moving between cars, that can happen as well. Those are called C-cars, once Translink starts buying them we can do it as well. Kuala Lumpur, which uses ALRT technology as well, recently bought a bunch of C-cars from Bombardier. Now, they have trains where you can move from car 1 to car 5. Another example perhaps could be Beijing's Airport Express, which uses Bombardier's ALRT as well.

Jared
Apr 8, 2009, 4:46 AM
From the Buzzer blog, Broadway Station renovations:
http://buzzer.translink.ca/index.php/2009/04/broadway-station-construction-update-for-march-april-2009/#more-2916

Steel support framework is now up on the west wall. The framework will hold the glass walls when they are finally installed.
http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/steelsupportframework.jpg

http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/concreteblockwalls.jpg
What’s been completed in March?
The concrete block walls at right are built to house the electrical and elevator rooms in the station.

* Concrete block walls have been built on the east side to house ancillary rooms (the electrical room, elevator machine room, etc).
* Concrete slab has been poured in the south half of the station.
* We’ve installed steel support framework along the west wall, in preparation for the installation of the glass walls.
* Underground electrical and mechanical services in the south station are complete.
* Further installation of electrical services have been completed throughout the concourse (bottom) level of the station.

What’s coming up in April?
The concrete slab poured in the south half of the station.

* Concrete work will begin on the stairs in the south station.
* Structural steel installation for the new elevator will begin.
* The installation of the exterior glass wall on the west side of the station.
* Further installation of electrical services and mechanical services throughout the concourse level of the station.
http://buzzer.translink.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/concreteslabsouth.jpg

Most of the glass is now up on the Western wall. I think they still have a little bit at the North end to add, though.

lightrail
Apr 8, 2009, 4:48 AM
I doubt translink will ever buy C-cars. The reason is that the A-B model allows the maximum flexibility in running the trains. They can easily split trains or combine them, whereas with the C-cars, they're stuck with a set train length.

jlousa
Apr 8, 2009, 5:14 AM
The current talk is to buy some C cars, that would enable 5 car trains, that can still be split easily to make 3 and 2 car trains. You are correct though in that they do not plan on making a thru train that could not be seperated.

dreambrother808
Apr 8, 2009, 5:25 AM
I wish they would replace the second level screens too =(

That is phase II, which hasn't been fully planned yet, according to the Buzzer Blog.
They state that Phase I will be finished by the end of this year and Phase II will begin shortly after that.
I would assume after the Olympics?

twoNeurons
Apr 8, 2009, 5:59 AM
The current talk is to buy some C cars, that would enable 5 car trains, that can still be split easily to make 3 and 2 car trains. You are correct though in that they do not plan on making a thru train that could not be seperated.

And really, there isn't much need to facilitate through travel from one end to the other.

SpongeG
Apr 8, 2009, 6:05 AM
And really, there isn't much need to facilitate through travel from one end to the other.

unless your a murder chasing someone

*seen to many movies like that*

Spork
Apr 8, 2009, 6:14 AM

I believe that there was quite a bit of discussion about this earlier, and the general consensus was that it would allow additional capacity in the way of standing space in the gangway (also note how crowded the ends of the cars are in the current A-B configuration with the three seats facing forwards, etc.

officedweller
Apr 8, 2009, 6:51 AM
From one of those SkyTrain Capacity Reports that JLousa linked to some time ago, it sounded as if you can't just buy a C car and insert it into an A-B married pair - but rather, that you need to buy a A-C-B configuration as a married set, and the report recommended that A-C-B configurations be purchased rather than A-B pairs, otherwise TransLink would be stuck with too many 4-car A-B+A-B trains and not enough 5-car A-C-B+A-B trains to maximize capacity (on the 80m platforms).

metroXpress
Apr 8, 2009, 3:45 PM
In the future, such as a mid-life refit, the car interior seating arrangements can be rearranged for side seating like Hong Kong's trains, thus increasing capacity dramatically.

As for moving between cars, that can happen as well. Those are called C-cars, once Translink starts buying them we can do it as well. Kuala Lumpur, which uses ALRT technology as well, recently bought a bunch of C-cars from Bombardier. Now, they have trains where you can move from car 1 to car 5. Another example perhaps could be Beijing's Airport Express, which uses Bombardier's ALRT as well.

Thanks for telling me about the C-cars. I didn't know that they have those.

(||||||-||||||-||||||-||||||-||||||)
A C C C B

Is this what it's like?

Mac Write
Apr 8, 2009, 4:24 PM
My gut says you can add C cars after as that one system did just that upgraded from A-B to A-C-C-B.

officedweller
Apr 8, 2009, 8:09 PM
I think KL bought whole trains that were A-C-C-B, so still not sure if they can be inserted into an existing married pair.

twoNeurons
Apr 8, 2009, 8:59 PM
I'd imagine that it's not "easy" to insert a "C" into an "A-B".

I'm sure it can be done, but it likely won't be something done on the fly... and it won't be cheap.

Likely much cheaper to pay the extra up front and order them in the right configuration from the get go.

SFUVancouver
Apr 15, 2009, 5:15 AM
Broadway Station 10th Avenue Entrance
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2923/broadwaystn10thaveentra.jpg
http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights20.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ca/) Taken by SFUVancouver, April 14th, 2009

I don't know if this is part of the plan, but I hope the metal mesh panels on the platform level are replaced with glass. Repainting the metal spaceframe would be good too.

Also, I noticed that skylights have been added to Gateway station. Currently there are just metal mesh panels on the roof but sunlight now streams through to the platform.

jlousa
Apr 15, 2009, 5:19 AM
Looks good, I see they decided to protect the trees even though they are located directly in front of the station and should've probably been moved a few metres away. Glass does look good though. :tup:

Whalleyboy
Apr 15, 2009, 5:25 AM
its amazing how just adding glass to an expo station alone can make it look so much better=P
its part of the reason why i've always like king george

SpongeG
Apr 15, 2009, 6:33 AM
simple change - great effect

paradigm4
Apr 15, 2009, 7:17 AM
Wow looking good!

I don't know if this is part of the plan, but I hope the metal mesh panels on the platform level are replaced with glass. Repainting the metal spaceframe would be good too.

Also, I noticed that skylights have been added to Gateway station. Currently there are just metal mesh panels on the roof but sunlight now streams through to the platform.

That's Phase II for Broadway. And Gateway has had the sunlights for a while - depending on the weather, it's sometimes hard to notice the difference

Mac Write
Apr 15, 2009, 8:26 AM
What are those big black hoses and that panel at the end of the east bound looks new (white brackets).

Any chance we will see the ugly green/gray triangle tubing banished from all Expo Line stations?

DKaz
Apr 15, 2009, 3:00 PM
Any chance we will see the ugly green/gray triangle tubing banished from all Expo Line stations?

Seeing how they support the roof over the platform... they can probably add structural columns (seeing how they want to make the platform spacious and airy I don't think that'll happen) or build new supports from the side ($$$$$)

Hed Kandi
Apr 15, 2009, 3:35 PM
What's happening with the Main St. station reno's?

Metro-One
Apr 15, 2009, 3:47 PM
The green triangular tubing is the only aspect i like of the old stations! To me it makes the stations unique and it adds an interesting industrial feel to them.

racc
Apr 15, 2009, 4:08 PM
What's happening with the Main St. station reno's?

They have got the funding. I expect they will proceed after the Olympics.

dreambrother808
Apr 15, 2009, 4:28 PM

That's Phase II, currently in planning, starting sometime after this phase is finished.

deasine
Apr 15, 2009, 5:42 PM
The green triangular tubing is the only aspect i like of the old stations! To me it makes the stations unique and it adds an interesting industrial feel to them.

I think they should paint those silver =)

officedweller
Apr 15, 2009, 7:01 PM

That external truss system also probably allows fewer columns on the platform than in some of the newer stations.

CBeats
Apr 15, 2009, 7:21 PM
I thought they were doing work on Main St. in time for the Olympics. I'm guessing Metrotown work won't commence until after them next year.

It sounds like at least the Metrotown renovation plan is in line with the eventual extension/renovation of all Expo Line platforms, and maybe Main St. is as well, but not Broadway.

DKaz
Apr 15, 2009, 9:24 PM
They can extend the Broadway Station platform south.

CBeats
Apr 16, 2009, 7:18 AM
:previous: Are they doing that as part of phase 2 of the Broadway renovation? I didn't see it in the report at the beginning.

DKaz
Apr 16, 2009, 6:39 PM
No, it'll happen in the future, maybe a Phase 3. They just want the existing station renovated as soon as possible as it is overcrowded at this point.

CBeats
Apr 16, 2009, 7:42 PM
No, it'll happen in the future, maybe a Phase 3. They just want the existing station renovated as soon as possible as it is overcrowded at this point.

Right, thanks.

mr.A
Apr 16, 2009, 9:10 PM
the windows are in and a lot of electrical work is being done in the new south entrance. pictures are taken today 16 april
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3343/3447804689_a74164eca1.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3567/3448606492_ae2610a633.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3447801401_f46b7d478c.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3353/3447796581_ddfe9a7458.jpg?v=0

DKaz
Apr 16, 2009, 9:29 PM
Looking good, I'm seriously impressed. Maybe they can investigate more select guideway sections that can be converted to storefronts like that,

Whalleyboy
Apr 16, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm still amazed how a little glass can make an older expo station look alot nicer

red-paladin
Apr 17, 2009, 1:46 AM
I'm sure the passarelle could be converted to platform, as it is exactly the same elevation (I mean it is flat and level with the tracks), and all they really need to do is remove the windows, add some columns and add some supports and beams to hold the platform edges.
However, as it was stated before, they might intentionally leave it there, so that people are funneled to the middle of the platform, and a crowd coming up the escalators doesn't push people towards the edge of the tracks once they get to the top.
After all, they can just leave the passarelle the way it is and extend the platform further south. Once the south elevator/stairs are up, a lot of
people will be entering the station that way, and it would be better to add
space for them at that end, to help with the overcrowding.

twoNeurons
Apr 17, 2009, 7:27 AM
Now if only they replaced that white dirty mesh with glass...

CBeats
Apr 17, 2009, 7:33 AM
Now if only they replaced that white dirty mesh with glass...

That's the plan :cool:

officedweller
Apr 17, 2009, 6:52 PM
Glass looks great - but I didn't really mind the mesh - the mesh required a lot less maintenace than the glass will require (i.e. graffitti etching, etc.).

Spork
Apr 17, 2009, 7:52 PM
Glass looks great - but I didn't really mind the mesh - the mesh required a lot less maintenace than the glass will require (i.e. graffitti etching, etc.).

There won't be any graffiti etching unless:
a) That French "Spiderman" guy comes here and decides to do some random graffiti on skytrain stations for some reason.
b) People regularly jump over the track from the centre platform in order to graffiti M-line stations.

officedweller
Apr 17, 2009, 9:34 PM
I was thinking of the mesh at ground level.

cornholio
Apr 17, 2009, 10:06 PM
There won't be any graffiti etching unless:
a) That French "Spiderman" guy comes here and decides to do some random graffiti on skytrain stations for some reason.
b) People regularly jump over the track from the centre platform in order to graffiti M-line stations.

You can ride between the MK1 skytrain cars, have done it my self many years ago. Or you can jump between them and do your business on the other side and jump back. The cameras at the stations record in low quality and no one actually watches the live feed.
Another option is to open the doors enough to get your hand through, since they open a a few inches.

Spork
Apr 17, 2009, 11:11 PM
I was thinking of the mesh at ground level.

But aren't they removing it? Will it be glass on the outside and mesh on the inside? Say it isn't so! AGH!

officedweller
Apr 17, 2009, 11:17 PM
But aren't they removing it? Will it be glass on the outside and mesh on the inside? Say it isn't so! AGH!

That's what I meant - the new glass at ground level will be accessible to graffitti...

SpongeG
Apr 18, 2009, 11:32 PM
i am amazed at the lack of gtaffitti in vancouver - looking at otehr cities pics - especially europe u see it on everything and anything - don't park a truck too long or its tagged to death

is the plan to demolish safeway still going to happen? - the plan to move it to the opposite end of the lot and than create a little "shopping" village in the old buildings spot

jlousa
Apr 18, 2009, 11:58 PM
The Safeway relocation plan is in the distant future (at least 10yrs probably closer to 20yrs) They spent a lot of money renovating that store just a few years ago. Of course if property values somehow shoot thru the roof it could happen sooner, but don't hold your breath.

Metro-One
Apr 19, 2009, 2:50 AM
Translink does a good job removing graffiti, i wouldn't worry to much (although we could all do a lot better)

deasine
Apr 19, 2009, 3:34 AM
Translink does a good job removing graffiti, i wouldn't worry to much (although we could all do a lot better)

It could be way better... especially on buses.

mr.A
May 5, 2009, 9:11 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3504503599_f09fbf7826.jpg?v=0
new floor ,north entrance
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3360/3505306154_7d88725e03.jpg?v=0
new stairs and elevator, south entrance

SpongeG
May 5, 2009, 9:14 PM
looking good

Hed Kandi
May 6, 2009, 12:40 AM
When is work scheduled to begin on the Main St. station?

SpongeG
May 6, 2009, 1:41 AM

Whalleyboy
May 6, 2009, 5:12 AM
possibly this year actually
http://www.translink.ca/en/Get-Involved/Public-Consultations/Main-Street-Upgrades.aspx

SpongeG
May 6, 2009, 6:23 AM
i have no idea

just taking a stab in the dark

i thought it was suppossed to be done before the olympics

WaxItYourself
May 6, 2009, 2:19 PM
i have no idea

just taking a stab in the dark

i thought it was supposed to be done before the olympicsI think that is they are beginning to 2009/2010 before the Olympics begin it has to be done before the Olympics. I thought that was one of the stipulations of having the Olympics here. That no construction be happening while they are on.

DKaz
May 6, 2009, 4:20 PM
They don't have time to finish it before the Olympics, it'll have to be done after.

crazyjoeda
May 6, 2009, 8:10 PM
I think that is they are beginning to 2009/2010 before the Olympics begin it has to be done before the Olympics. I thought that was one of the stipulations of having the Olympics here. That no construction be happening while they are on.

That is for the canada line.

SpongeG
May 6, 2009, 9:13 PM
They don't have time to finish it before the Olympics, it'll have to be done after.

so a guess of 2010 would be right :D

WaxItYourself
May 6, 2009, 10:45 PM
That is for the canada line.

What I mean t was there can't be any construction going on around the Olympic Village while the Olympics is on because it would take away from the beauty of the city.

Whalleyboy
May 6, 2009, 10:59 PM
i thought the same thing about construction not being done during the olympics but the link that i put out said other wise. I kind think it stupid to have like a have finish station out there during the olympics makes it look like we suck at getting things done around here

mr.A
May 18, 2009, 12:58 AM
the upgrades started in November and still no end in sight. took this picture today May 17th
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3371/3540950436_a9f06fd05d.jpg?v=0

Spork
May 18, 2009, 1:59 AM
The upgrades actually appear to be coming along very well in my eyes. I saw a sign a couple of weeks ago and it looks like the elevator will be moved between june-july.

mr.A
May 18, 2009, 4:20 AM
I hope you are right. there is a lot of work needed and the new elevator, see my previous picture,is still the same as of today. But 2 month should be enough to do it.

hollywoodnorth
May 18, 2009, 5:42 AM
The upgrades actually appear to be coming along very well in my eyes. I saw a sign a couple of weeks ago and it looks like the elevator will be moved between june-july.

yup I agree this project is coming along nice. Its not being POUNDED out maybe but its being done within budget or under I would think and will be great once finished :)

metroXpress
May 18, 2009, 2:17 PM
It's ok if it's slow.....we just want to see it done :)

mr.A
May 31, 2009, 9:51 PM
station roof addition south
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3371/3583130202_dd863ce189.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3320/3582324999_2a77d5e182.jpg?v=0
new entry north
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3651/3582329145_bdb1904519.jpg?v=0

Mac Write
May 31, 2009, 10:08 PM
Yuck the roof extension looks ugly (that damn old look triangle construction (ya I know Triangle is the best load barring).