PDA

View Full Version : North Atlanta and Buckhead Skyline Views

jfsatlbldr
Oct 14, 2007, 5:26 PM
Some shots taken recently of various skyline views;
Perimeter Center/400 area
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/jfsatlbldr/Skyline%20Views/10-13-07150a_edited-2.jpg
Vinings/Galleria
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/jfsatlbldr/Skyline%20Views/10-12-07062a_edited-1.jpg
North Buckhead/Lenox
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/jfsatlbldr/Skyline%20Views/10-12-07143a_edited-1.jpg
South Buckhead
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/jfsatlbldr/Skyline%20Views/10-12-07052a_edited-1.jpg

dante2308
Oct 14, 2007, 5:29 PM
Nice pics. Its cool to think that all those high and midrises aren't even near the CBD of Atlanta.

SteveD
Oct 15, 2007, 4:45 PM
Nice, Joe...Nice. That 3rd photo, North Buckhead, Lennox, is Sweet!:tup:

atl2phx
Oct 15, 2007, 6:45 PM
[QUOTE=jfsatlbldr;3111381]Some shots taken recently of various skyline views;

holy smokes! the view from terminus northeast is amazing.

North Buckhead/Lenox
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/jfsatlbldr/Skyline%20Views/10-12-07143a_edited-1.jpg

Trae
Oct 17, 2007, 2:05 AM
The third is my favorite.

Plasticman
Oct 17, 2007, 4:04 PM
This is why I say Buckhead has its own skyline comparable to many large cities like Nashville, Louisville, and Charlotte.

atl2phx
Oct 20, 2007, 2:35 PM
This is why I say Buckhead has its own skyline comparable to many large cities like Nashville, Louisville, and Charlotte.

amazing when you consider most of what you see in buckhead today only came about over the past 15 years.

Andrea
Oct 20, 2007, 6:17 PM
amazing when you consider most of what you see in buckhead today only came about over the past 15 years.

Well, 20 years or so. That's true of all of Atlanta's commercial districts other than downtown. Highrise construction outside of downtown was infrequent until the 1980s.

rickydavisfan21
Oct 21, 2007, 4:29 AM

I disagree, Louisville, Nashville, and Charlotte all outshine buckhead. Buckhead has no urban fabric, it is an area with sparse towers, it has some impressive height, but its nothing compared to any of the cities u mentioned

Brown Duckz
Oct 21, 2007, 5:05 AM
I disagree, Louisville, Nashville, and Charlotte all outshine buckhead. Buckhead has no urban fabric, it is an area with sparse towers, it has some impressive height, but its nothing compared to any of the cities u mentionedI think his point is valid, that this suburban area has height......

Neosoul
Oct 21, 2007, 5:25 AM
Delete

Neosoul
Oct 21, 2007, 5:26 AM
I disagree, Louisville, Nashville, and Charlotte all outshine buckhead. Buckhead has no urban fabric, it is an area with sparse towers, it has some impressive height, but its nothing compared to any of the cities u mentioned

His point was skyline, not urban fabric.

atlantaguy
Oct 21, 2007, 1:02 PM

Wrong. Take a look at KCGridlocks "Above Atlanta" thread to educate yourself a little. There is plenty of urban fabric.

mo1217
Oct 21, 2007, 1:57 PM
I would have to agree with atlantaguy on this one...Buckheads buildings are just as impressive or moreso than Nashville, Louisville and Charlotte[exception being BofA corporate center].Buckheads architecture exceeds those 3 cities.The urban fabric in those downtown cities Louisville,Nashville,& Charlotte would not run rings around Buckhead. Lets not forget Buckhead is a community within the city of Atlanta and not a downtown core as those 3 cities mentioned. Urbanity is more than buildings and density, it's also excitement, energy,etc...and the buckhead community within Atlanta certainly does fair well with those 3 cities in that respect.

Labtec
Dec 31, 2007, 8:12 PM
Can't Believe I Missed this one, great photos!

Go7SD
Jan 1, 2008, 1:25 PM
Buckhead reminds me of Clayton in St Louis but on a bigger scale. Clayton is served by Metrolink while Buckhead has Marta. As for malls, Clayton has the St Louis Galleria and Buckhead has Lennox Square Mall and Phipps Plaza. The Buckhead skyline has grown at a astonishing rate since I live in the Atlanta area 20 years ago. Can anyone comfirm if the rumors of Buckhead wanting to succeed from Atlanta to become it's own city is true? I heard about it on the news sometime last year on 750am WSV.

Go7SD
Jan 1, 2008, 1:33 PM
When ever I drive along I-75/85 going north from the downtown-midtown area just pass Atlantic Station I can get a really awesome view of those cranes just dotting across the Buckhead skyline. It's like a another city from a distance.

gttx
Jan 1, 2008, 4:48 PM
Can anyone comfirm if the rumors of Buckhead wanting to succeed from Atlanta to become it's own city is true? I heard about it on the news sometime last year on 750am WSV.

Never going to happen.

Behind_Phips
Jan 1, 2008, 4:59 PM
Joe....go get us some more pictures. Please!

JiltedSnake
Jan 2, 2008, 5:56 PM
Originally Posted by Roy McDowell
Can anyone comfirm if the rumors of Buckhead wanting to succeed from Atlanta to become it's own city is true? I heard about it on the news sometime last year on 750am WSV.

I was doing so New Year's cleaning and came across this blub from "The Story Atlanta": Buckhead leaders split on joining Milton County (Jan 11, 2007).
In summation, Sam Massell, pres. of Buckhead Coalition had this to say about the 45% ad valorem taxes generated by Buckhead. "To remove this from Atlanta would bankrupt the city-an image that could bring growth to a standstill," he said. "There is no study to suggest Buckhead would see a reduction in taxes or any other benefit from the present proposals, nor is there realistically an honorable upside for north Fulton on what many see as a political punishment."

I agree, "It'll never happen."

Andrea
Jan 2, 2008, 6:58 PM
In summation, Sam Massell, pres. of Buckhead Coalition had this to say about the 45% ad valorem taxes generated by Buckhead. "To remove this from Atlanta would bankrupt the city-an image that could bring growth to a standstill," he said.

He's right. An alternative might be the township legislation proposed by Rep Ed Lindsey and by Rep. David Adelman. It would give greater control of some elements of government to the local community, such as planning and zoning. Buckhead has been an element of Atlanta so long that it's hard to imagine it no longer being part of the city.

Dueling Township Bills (http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/freshloaf/2007/11/19/dueling-township-bills/)

HB 651 (http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2007_08/search/hb651.htm)

CottonCity251
Jan 2, 2008, 9:38 PM
Buckhead has nothing on Charlotte or Nashville. Not even Louisville for that matter. It looks like tacky unplanned sprawl with height. It might look like the other cities in about 15 years or so. Charlotte CBD has density and is well planned for development. Unlike Atlanta which looks like its growing without a plan with shit popping up everywhere.

Andrea
Jan 2, 2008, 10:50 PM
I don't see how anybody can say Atlanta doesn't have a plan.

Stratosphere 2020
Jan 3, 2008, 12:00 AM
Buckhead has nothing on Charlotte or Nashville. Not even Louisville for that matter. It looks like tacky unplanned sprawl with height. It might look like the other cities in about 15 years or so. Charlotte CBD has density and is well planned for development. Unlike Atlanta which looks like its growing without a plan with shit popping up everywhere.

Woh bit hostile.

Neosoul
Jan 3, 2008, 12:46 AM

What's interesting is that an area that is "tacky unplanned sprawl with height" is attracting as much, if not more, commercial, high end retail, and luxury residential developments as Charlotte, Nashville, or "even Louisville for that matter. " :D

PremierAtlanta
Jan 3, 2008, 1:26 AM

This is a very telling post.

The fact that you are even here defending Charlotte, Nashville and Loiusville's CBD's (mid-major southern cities) againt Buckhead (a highend destination district; grown up around a pair of high end destination malls) is astounding. This fact alone should be enough to make any Buckhead booster proud. As posted above, even if it's not as dense, none of the cities you listed above have the same amount of office or retail development as Buckhead. Charlotte is the only rival in terms of residential development.

But then again....I'm sure Mobile has more office, retail and residential development than Buckhead.

My philosophy....if they are not talking about you, then you are not important. Buckhead must be something special.

scania
Jan 3, 2008, 2:56 AM
:previous: That was one of the best post I've seen. It's going to be hard to top that one.:tup:

WSUSOM
Jan 3, 2008, 2:58 AM

How can anyone call Buckhead suburban sprawl when it's located within the city of Atlanta and approximately 10 or less miles from the Downtown CBD and abuts midtown. When people make random statements like this it makes me wonder if they have ever visited the city itself.:shrug:

scguy
Jan 3, 2008, 3:49 AM
Guys lets not forget that we are comparing a neighborhood against whole city skylines. IMO, Buckhead looks better than the 3 mentioned. I havent been to DT Charlotte in a few years but when I was there last (and I know it has changed some) it was sterile, boring and lacked any urbanity at all. Louisville has the urbanity but not a very appealing skyline (IMO).

Andrea
Jan 3, 2008, 4:04 AM
[Buckhead is] approximately 10 or less miles from the Downtown CBD...

It's exactly 6.2 miles from Buckhead to Five Points. That was the original course of the Peachtree Road Race. I always thought it was interesting that it worked out to be a perfect 10K.

ATLaffinity
Jan 3, 2008, 6:23 PM
what's mobile?

CottonCity251
Jan 3, 2008, 6:59 PM
what's mobile?

If you ask that on a Mobile thread, I and everyone else will answer you. I refuse to change the subject because this thread is not about Mobile.

atl2phx
Jan 3, 2008, 10:54 PM

somebody piss on your christmas tree while you were plugging in the lights?

if i felt like you do about atlanta, i would purposely avoid trolling the atlanta threads.

there's plenty good going on down in mobile, enjoy it and keep your acrid attitude there. thanks.

CottonCity251
Jan 4, 2008, 5:44 AM
somebody piss on your christmas tree while you were plugging in the lights?

if i felt like you do about atlanta, i would purposely avoid trolling the atlanta threads.

there's plenty good going on down in mobile, enjoy it and keep your acrid attitude there. thanks.

And I have an "acrid" attitude for voicing my opposition to the comment that was made..? You were better off calling my remarks acrid. I view different threads to expose myself to numerous types of architecture and cityscapes, trolling is for dummies with nothing to do. Try getting an understanding of someone before making assumptions or throwing advice, it shows misinterpretation and bad comprehension. I know you wouldn't bet a darn dollar that I do like Atlanta..? I have said many times on SSP that I would love to stay there. Just because I don't like something that happens doesn't mean I don't like the city. Thanks.

Style
Jan 4, 2008, 7:05 AM
while unplanned and with little thought to a pedestrian (or to any mode other than the automobile), buckhead outshines nashville + charlotte in culture and things to do in downtown. just throwing that out there. as many of you know, i'm probably the biggest cheerleader for charlotte there is...so take it with a grain of salt. ;) is buckhead perfect? no. does it have a killer skyline? yes.

i think buckhead is actually the poster child of what all cities in the south are going to do as we run out of land and being to make different nodes within our urban areas. buckhead is arguably a very important part of the metro atlanta area and it is showing how cities can work with developers on large in-fill projects. buckhead is very new and many of the lessons learned will come from buckhead in the coming 15 years after many of these new developments receive criticism from other developers and those concerned with urban planning in general. just my 2 cents on buckhead.

atl2phx
Jan 5, 2008, 5:18 AM
I know you wouldn't bet a darn dollar that I do like Atlanta..?

fuk it.

i'd bet ya, but i don't want to be paid in confederate dollars and i'm pretty sure there's isn't a good exchange rate these days.

did i misinterpret your comments? when you refer to a skyline (any skyline) as 'tacky unplanned sprawl with height' and 'shit popping up everywhere', i have to believe your either trying to provoke other forumers with inflamatory remarks (i.e. trolling/flaming), or your simply bitter about that in which you degrade.

talk about making assumptions, misinterpretation and bad comprehension?

here's how out of the loop you are on atlanta and buckhead:

the activity you see in buckhead is more of a byproduct of strategic planning vs. the result of non-planning.

in fact, buckhead has a modern, current and well defined zoning and development plan devised roughly 20 years ago, revised several times since and now bearing the fruits of such plans. among other things, the buckhead coalition and businesses that support self imposed taxes for community improvements advocate high-rise commercial and residential development and infrastructure improvements along peachtree and in the surrounding area.