PDA

View Full Version : Aura | 83M | 22F | Under Construction

Wooster
Oct 14, 2007, 3:45 AM
The Calgary Planning Commission Agenda is up for next week. One of the items up for approval is Aura. A 154 unit, ~22 floor condo at the corner of 12th avenue and 9th street. Being developed by Intergulf-Cidex, designed by Poon Mckenzie architects.

Since you can now see the plans and design on the CPC agenda, I thought I'd post a couple other images of it to give a better idea of colour and material.

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/BU/dba/calgary_planning_commission/agenda/2007/dp2007_1773.pdf

From the CPC report:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/development/Aura5.jpg

Colour:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/BUF2/aura1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/development/aura3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/development/aura4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/development/aura2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/development/aura6.jpg

frinkprof
Oct 14, 2007, 3:49 AM
Looks alright. Love the balconies. Not sure about the red column running the up to the roof though. Looks its best from the last two sides.

skrish
Oct 14, 2007, 4:03 AM
I like it alot. I'm also not sure about the red strip though.

Deepstar
Oct 14, 2007, 4:34 AM
I voted 'good' on this one. I don't know about the red stripe. Take that away and the blue also, and it's a 'very good' Overall it's a good sign when a project like this are the average ones.

Surrealplaces
Oct 14, 2007, 4:47 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/development/aura4.jpg

I gave it a vore of -good-. It looks alot like Colors in some of the renderings. In the rendering above it looks quite nice.

craner
Oct 14, 2007, 4:59 AM
Thanks Josh,
I actually like it in the black and white rendering . . . in color, not so much.

craner
Oct 14, 2007, 5:01 AM
I must add that another project of this type in the Beltline is a positive thing.
:)

Doug
Oct 14, 2007, 5:04 AM
There are a couple of Concord Pacific condos in Vancouver near BC place that look very similar to this one. Regardless, I like this one.

Wooster
Oct 14, 2007, 5:09 AM
I gave it a good. It is amazing how everyone's standards are so high now because of the general quality of development these days. If this is considered a 'meh' to a good chunk of people, I'd say we're in good shape in terms of the standard of design. Similarly with Grosvenor.

The greatest feature of this project is the stuff at grade. Really nicely landscaped, and the townhouses are really good. They match well with the tower above, and they will create a nice visual rhythm for the pedestrian. It will frame the new park across the street well.

The tower itself is decent. The red coloured metal panel is alright. Doesn't offend me, but isn't a particularly attractive feature. There is a similar looking design element in a project near GM place in Vancouver posted a few times. The glazing probably most closely resembles chocolate, which looks fantastic.

Just Build It
Oct 14, 2007, 5:10 AM
I really like this one.

Wooster
Oct 14, 2007, 5:15 AM
There are a couple of Concord Pacific condos in Vancouver near BC place that look very similar to this one. Regardless, I like this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/joshwhit/development/auraclone.jpg

unibrain
Oct 14, 2007, 6:07 AM
I think this one is alright.. it's not a "wow", but I think it's an attempt to give our downtown condos some added color. it's fairly simple in most respects, but adds a little flavor to it by adding the color fin... maybe red isnt the best color to use.. but color nonetheless. I thought the red fin was to have an LED strip running down it?

I like how it's different from every angle... there's too many symetrical condos being built. this one will be interesting from all views. The problem with local architects is that they dont think outside the box. They start with square footprints that end up giving them square buildings. I KNOW for a fact that a twisting building such as 1133 Georgia probably set the developer back a good chunk of change due to all the engineering involved (not to mention the extra structural parts to build a twisting building), but in a sea of square buildings, you'd think a developer would want to break through and give Calgary it's first twisty/organic building, different from the norm... The Bow is doing something differnt.. lets hope it's a sign to come.

I really like 1133 Georgia being built in Vancouver. It's simple.. clean.. and different.

http://www.mcmparchitects.com/img/photos/1133%20W%20Georgia.jpg

ExcaliburKid
Oct 14, 2007, 8:40 AM
Lose the colors and this one could have been great. Otherwise, another winner for Calgary

Claeren
Oct 14, 2007, 2:34 PM
I think this one is alright.. it's not a "wow", but I think it's an attempt to give our downtown condos some added color. it's fairly simple in most respects, but adds a little flavor to it by adding the color fin... maybe red isnt the best color to use.. but color nonetheless. I thought the red fin was to have an LED strip running down it?

I like how it's different from every angle... there's too many symetrical condos being built. this one will be interesting from all views. The problem with local architects is that they dont think outside the box. They start with square footprints that end up giving them square buildings. I KNOW for a fact that a twisting building such as 1133 Georgia probably set the developer back a good chunk of change due to all the engineering involved (not to mention the extra structural parts to build a twisting building), but in a sea of square buildings, you'd think a developer would want to break through and give Calgary it's first twisty/organic building, different from the norm... The Bow is doing something differnt.. lets hope it's a sign to come.

I really like 1133 Georgia being built in Vancouver. It's simple.. clean.. and different.

You did allude to it already, but the cost difference between this and the project you cite is enormous. Not really a fair discussion in that regard.

I like this project if it is geared towards the lower end of the new-construction price spectrum (whatever THAT means these days). However, if it is yet another project geared towards luxury buyers at $600+/sq-ft then i think they could have offered more....

I voted 'good'. Far from 'great' but also far from 'bad'.

Claeren.

Coldrsx
Oct 14, 2007, 3:53 PM
quite nice...i still cannot get over how much is being proposed for calgary versus Edmonton.

Bad Grizzly
Oct 14, 2007, 4:12 PM
^What amazes me is that condos are still selling. I thought we hit a point where affordablity was gone, but people still seem to keep buying them.

This is a good project, not great but a good decent filler. The materials make all the difference in this one. Take a way the red and blue, and it's much better.

MichaelS
Oct 14, 2007, 6:00 PM
I don't care for the colours, but everything else looks pretty good.

Grendel
Oct 14, 2007, 6:05 PM
I really wanted to go with "good" here, but when the moment came to tick a box, I went with my heart and rated it a "meh".

Though I'm more than willing to concede that this is a decent-looking building, especially compared to some of the stuff currently under construction, there's just something that doesn't quite do it for me here; maybe it's the rigid squareness of the place, the long, narrow balconies; or maybe it's the gimmicky red-stripe down the side. Whatever it is, the overall impression that I get from the place is "giant block of apartments", rather than say "a homey, inviting place where I'd want to live".
Having said all that, it certainly could have been a lot worse. In the grand scheme of things, I think that in time it'll no doubt wind up being regarded as a fairly anonymous, unremarkable building among many others, and nothing more.

Calgarian
Oct 14, 2007, 6:25 PM
quite nice...i still cannot get over how much is being proposed for calgary versus Edmonton.

I think it is because Calgary has a very big CBD, and since traffic is pretty much screwed, the the yuppies are moving downtown to be closer to their work. Also I've heard that Calgary has lots of people from Vancouver, Toronto, and other big cities where this urban lifestyle is already common, and they are moving downtown where they are most comfortable. Also, there are a LOT of investors buying these units.

Calgarian
Oct 14, 2007, 6:27 PM
Aura looks good, I like the colour. It is almost too similar to the one in Van. though.

coolguyj
Oct 15, 2007, 4:24 PM
i think without the colours it would have been just a plain glass box. this one is alright

Surrealplaces
Oct 15, 2007, 6:00 PM
I think it is because Calgary has a very big CBD, and since traffic is pretty much screwed, the the yuppies are moving downtown to be closer to their work. Also I've heard that Calgary has lots of people from Vancouver, Toronto, and other big cities where this urban lifestyle is already common, and they are moving downtown where they are most comfortable. Also, there are a LOT of investors buying these units.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Calgary traditionally draws more migration from the bigger cities, while Edmonton, has traditionally drawn from rural Alberta and Saskatchewan. Folks from Toronto to and Vancouver etc..are used to condo living, and the prices.

A friend of mine just moved here from Vancouver this summer, and had been looking at Condos. To him they all seemed like a bargain.

Innersoul1
Oct 15, 2007, 7:31 PM
I had to go with great on this one. I am all for diversity in building design and esthetic. I really appreciate that some colour was infused into this one. Although the blue and red seem random I like how it stands out. I think that some colour in addition to the glazing is a nice touch. It is also nice that the colour and the features used to display the colour are very simple. The other lines on the building are very simple and sleek and the podium is well done.

Should be nice and will certainly add some character to that part of 12th!

:tup:

murman
Oct 15, 2007, 7:43 PM
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Calgary traditionally draws more migration from the bigger cities, while Edmonton, has traditionally drawn from rural Alberta and Saskatchewan.

:( I weep for Edmonton.

Bigtime
Oct 15, 2007, 7:49 PM
:( I weep for Edmonton.

"Taste the sad Michael!"

I voted good.

Calgarian
Oct 15, 2007, 7:54 PM
I hope this one goes ahead soon.

Big Sky
Oct 15, 2007, 8:37 PM
I had to go with *Good* for this one. It is in no way bad, but just isn't anything special. These projects are still good to see nonetheless.

tokama
Oct 15, 2007, 9:26 PM
Good.

CMD UW
Oct 15, 2007, 11:47 PM
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Calgary traditionally draws more migration from the bigger cities, while Edmonton, has traditionally drawn from rural Alberta and Saskatchewan. Folks from Toronto to and Vancouver etc..are used to condo living, and the prices.

A friend of mine just moved here from Vancouver this summer, and had been looking at Condos. To him they all seemed like a bargain.
Actually, a greater proportion of Edmonton's housing market is in the multi-family category versus Calgary where it is still primarily dominated by the single-family category. So although I would agree that Calgary does pull in more migrants from Vancouver etc., correlating that to 'more' highrise or larger condo market is quite incorrect.

Latest CMHC housing stats Jan - Aug 2007

Calgary (City)
Single - 4177
Multi - 3551
Total - 7728
Proportion - 54% Single / 46% Multi

Edmonton (City)

Single - 2787
Multi - 3296
Total - 6083
Proportion - 46% Single / 54% Multi

entheosfog
Oct 16, 2007, 12:43 AM
I kinda like this one and I think the colour pieces make it stand out a bit and make the building more unique to Calgary. I do agree, as was said earlier, that it does remind me of those condos in Vancouver...

poopysheep
Oct 16, 2007, 1:46 AM
this buiding is nice... i actually like the red stripe thing...

however... i live a block away and honestly i don't like the scale... i wish that there was more money in some nice brick ( i know everyone here hates brick ) brownstone type row housing - similar to the ones on the corner of 10th and 13ave...

i know that density is a great thing for the beltline and we really are lucky to have so much going on and i realise the benefits of a strong urban fabric in the core however as a home owner ( yes one of the last actual HOUSES ) in the beltline i am having a difficult time digesting how many buildings are going up...

just in my immediate area is the that Vantage Pointe "thing", Stella Nova Luna, the Kai towers, Aura, Xenex, Emerald Stone, Montana, L/M (god let this one never happen ), the Parry Bros. Site....

and all the buildings look the same... what about some different scale.... townhouses... brownstones... walk ups...

and tearing down all the old homes... i think the last of the homes left in Connaught should be salvaged and restored... there are plenty of empy lots and areas that can be developed ( ie: crappy little strip malls )

ok sorry... rant over...

entheosfog
Oct 16, 2007, 2:03 AM
this buiding is nice... i actually like the red stripe thing...

however... i live a block away and honestly i don't like the scale... i wish that there was more money in some nice brick ( i know everyone here hates brick ) brownstone type row housing - similar to the ones on the corner of 10th and 13ave...

i know that density is a great thing for the beltline and we really are lucky to have so much going on and i realise the benefits of a strong urban fabric in the core however as a home owner ( yes one of the last actual HOUSES ) in the beltline i am having a difficult time digesting how many buildings are going up...

just in my immediate area is the that Vantage Pointe "thing", Stella Nova Luna, the Kai towers, Aura, Xenex, Emerald Stone, Montana, L/M (god let this one never happen ), the Parry Bros. Site....

and all the buildings look the same... what about some different scale.... townhouses... brownstones... walk ups...

and tearing down all the old homes... i think the last of the homes left in Connaught should be salvaged and restored... there are plenty of empy lots and areas that can be developed ( ie: crappy little strip malls )

ok sorry... rant over...

Which house is it you live in, if you don't mind me asking?
I too echo your thoughts and I think that the Stella, Nova, Luna block is a bit over-kill. There are many empty lots or crap strip malls that could be developed, like you said.

Pavlov
Oct 16, 2007, 2:14 AM
Actually, a greater proportion of Edmonton's housing market is in the multi-family category versus Calgary where it is still primarily dominated by the single-family category. So although I would agree that Calgary does pull in more migrants from Vancouver etc., correlating that to 'more' highrise or larger condo market is quite incorrect.

Calgary (City)
Single - 4177
Multi - 3551
Total - 7728

Edmonton (City)

Single - 2787
Multi - 3296
Total - 6083

Point taken, although "multifamily" is not a homogeneous group. Certainly, my impression is that there is more "big city" large scale multifamily (ie midrise and highrise towers) being built and proposed in Calgary than in Edmonton.

poopysheep
Oct 16, 2007, 2:46 AM
i live on 13 Ave and 10 street.. there are about 10 houses on this block left along with those brick walk ups and the Sturgess townhouse type things... a few rental 3 story type thing and one that was condo'ed... then like ugly bookmarks we have the Royal Oak and the ugly assed apartment on the other end...

the sad thing is that of the 10 houses 3 are businesses... 1 we call the party house and is screaming for a reno, 3 are suited and have renters ( which i'm cool with ) and the 3 remaining houses is us( we have 1 child ) and a family with 7 children and a single mom with a teenage daughter... we all know each other very well and have bbq's and sunday night dinners together... this is an amazing street... i'd love to see the other homes have families move in... the sturgess townhomes have about 4 kids in them as do those brick ones at the end of the block... the ugly apartment building is FULL of kids... i don't understand why families all move out to that suburban wasteland.. the beltline is capable of having wonderful neighborhoods...

Deepstar
Oct 16, 2007, 4:28 AM

Calgary (City)
Single - 4177
Multi - 3551
Total - 7728

Edmonton (City)

Single - 2787
Multi - 3296
Total - 6083

That has been the case for a while, but it's the type of multi-family that is the big difference. Edmonton has far more of those suburban 3 storey projects.

SunCoaster
Oct 17, 2007, 12:57 AM
To me the rating on this project is dependent upon it's location and city ... given it's in Calgary Beltline I'd rate it "good plus " ... Calgary Downtown "good minus" ... Lower Mainland - "meh" ... Edmonton - "great" ... Saskatoon, Regina or Winnipeg - "great plus"

As for the red and blue stripes ... I'm kind of ambivalent ... in some ways it adds to the project and in some ways it detracts from the project ... that said, the stripes help to define this project as residential because without them this project could probably pass for a commercial tower

entheosfog
Oct 17, 2007, 5:45 AM
i live on 13 Ave and 10 street.. there are about 10 houses on this block left along with those brick walk ups and the Sturgess townhouse type things... a few rental 3 story type thing and one that was condo'ed... then like ugly bookmarks we have the Royal Oak and the ugly assed apartment on the other end...

the sad thing is that of the 10 houses 3 are businesses... 1 we call the party house and is screaming for a reno, 3 are suited and have renters ( which i'm cool with ) and the 3 remaining houses is us( we have 1 child ) and a family with 7 children and a single mom with a teenage daughter... we all know each other very well and have bbq's and sunday night dinners together... this is an amazing street... i'd love to see the other homes have families move in... the sturgess townhomes have about 4 kids in them as do those brick ones at the end of the block... the ugly apartment building is FULL of kids... i don't understand why families all move out to that suburban wasteland.. the beltline is capable of having wonderful neighborhoods...

That's one of my fave streets in all of Calgary for sure. Having those homes all in a row show how all of the Beltline used to look about 80 years ago. I wonder if there could be some sort of heritage designation to the streetscape as opposed to individual houses. The houses individually may not get designation but all of them together should be preserved, I think, otherwise soon there won't be any houses left in the Beltline at all.

Anyway, there seems to be a misconception that inner city=bad place to raise kids. But I'll save that discussion for another time.

Western Spaghetti
Oct 21, 2007, 10:54 PM

Calgary (City)
Single - 4177
Multi - 3551
Total - 7728

Edmonton (City)

Single - 2787
Multi - 3296
Total - 6083

Actually, Surreal's point is valid. While Edmonton has a higher percentage of mult-family units, almost all of those units are the 'point of view' style suburban variety, as opposed to the downtown highrise variety which is where a large nuumber of Calgary's units are being created. Correlating it to a larger condo market in general might not hold true but it does for the high rise/high end condo factor.

Boris2k7
Apr 4, 2009, 8:14 PM
This thread can be renamed to:

Aura | 83M | 22F | Approved

frinkprof
Apr 5, 2009, 2:38 AM
Here's a picture I took of this site this past summer.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/frinkprof/P5210457.jpg

Hopefully this one resurfaces during the next upswing.

Skeletor
Apr 5, 2009, 7:12 PM
Woah! I just voted on this, and then realized that it was 18 months old! :haha:

Design-mind
Dec 22, 2012, 5:19 PM
It has been to long since the last update so here is what the site looks like now.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8359/8297669322_0b6f7ecebf_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8297678008_208bf83380.jpg

Design-mind
Jan 5, 2013, 6:15 PM
Most of the surface level has been poured. We should start to see this rise now.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8183/8349565931_1dcf54733d_c.jpg

Spring2008
Jan 5, 2013, 7:16 PM
According to Cidex this one is actually 24 floors:

Make downtown your own.

Towering 24 stories above the big-city lights at the corner of Twelfth Avenue and Ninth Street Southwest, Aura is just a few blocks' walk from work, play, shopping, nightlife... everything you need for an urban lifestyle that's as vibrant and stylish as it is convenient.

http://www.cidexhomes.com/high-rise

Design-mind
Jan 7, 2013, 10:01 PM
Yes you are correct "Spring2008". Good catch! The website says 24 floors plus I counted the floors on the rendering and it shows 24 as well, so it must have always been 24 floors.

Design-mind
Feb 2, 2013, 7:00 PM
above grade

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8098/8437900711_05b4ea1aaf_c.jpg

Design-mind
Mar 13, 2013, 1:29 PM
From yesterday.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8106/8553699139_a527bd9565_c.jpg

Design-mind
Mar 28, 2013, 8:25 PM
Great day for a pour!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8229/8598904310_3014dfff62_c.jpg

Design-mind
Apr 5, 2013, 1:23 PM
Mine from early this morning.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8622139226_df4943a1b4_z.jpg

Calgarian
Apr 5, 2013, 4:20 PM
Looks like they have the forms for the 4th floor ready to go. Aura should start going pretty quickly now.

Design-mind
Apr 9, 2013, 1:30 PM
pouring concrete yesterday.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8534/8633773307_6d4126bef3_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8536/8633777947_f4b20d4f65_c.jpg

Design-mind
Apr 23, 2013, 1:16 PM
Mine from this morning.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8261/8674304091_a578f9b3bd_c.jpg