PDA

View Full Version : Whats this area in halifax?

Spitfire75
Oct 12, 2007, 5:07 PM
So I was driving around the city the other day looking for a new apartment (currently living at Ocean Towers), checking out all the new places under construction and came to this area between Fairview and Bayer's Lake.

Just wondering if anyone knows what they're building here, the whole place is under construction with one building frame already up. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me, the view was amazing from up there. You can see almost all the tall building in Halifax from there.

Anyway, this pic is really out-dated from Google earth, as Regency Park Dr attaches to Main Ave now, and there's an exit from Dunbrack to Main Ave as well. But I was just wondering if anyone had more info about the development. Or even what the area is called.

Ps: long time reader, first post

http://i23.tinypic.com/245na5u.jpg

Wishblade
Oct 12, 2007, 5:15 PM
That would be the Mount Royal development on the south end of the site, and on the opposite end Im assuming is still part of Clayton Park.

Mount Royal is going to be a mixed density residential development.

Spitfire75
Oct 12, 2007, 5:45 PM
Cool, thanks

alps
Oct 12, 2007, 9:20 PM
Welcome, Spitfire!

Anyone have any renderings of this development? I know basically nothing about it...

Wishblade
Oct 13, 2007, 4:31 AM
Welcome, Spitfire!

Anyone have any renderings of this development? I know basically nothing about it...

Well, here is the official site for it....

you can see a basic layout of the development under "Community map & location".

http://www.atlantisrealty.ca/FS_Projects_MountRoyale.htm

someone123
Oct 13, 2007, 6:56 AM
Can you drive from Regency Park to Main Ave now? Last time I was there you couldn't.

I'd imagine that the North side of that land will just be mixed apartments/condos.

Anybody know the status of the land between the 102/103 and Chain Lakes just to the South? It has rail access but not much else.

Another question is whether nor not Bayers Lake will ever be extended. There are roads leading behind some lots that just trail off.

I also remember a big development between St. Margaret's Bay Road and the 103 in Timberlea but I think that may not have been approved (very hard to see why given the location).

Halifax Hillbilly
Oct 13, 2007, 1:19 PM
Another question is whether nor not Bayers Lake will ever be extended. There are roads leading behind some lots that just trail off.

The city will be creating a functional plan for their business parks. It's pretty clear that Bayer's Lake is a disaster and with the construction of Dartmouth Crossing it's forcing the city to look closely at what it's going to do with Burnside. I can't imagine much will happen in Bayer's Lake until that process is done.

Jonovision
Oct 13, 2007, 2:45 PM
Is this the site with a crane on it? I can see a crane in the far distance when I look over from dartmouth, it should be somewhere along the bi-high, but when I go over there I can't for the life of me find it?

sdm
Oct 13, 2007, 2:59 PM
Is this the site with a crane on it? I can see a crane in the far distance when I look over from dartmouth, it should be somewhere along the bi-high, but when I go over there I can't for the life of me find it?

Thats UG crane isn't it?

Haliguy
Oct 13, 2007, 3:22 PM

Yes there is a crane on it.

keninhalifax
Oct 14, 2007, 2:09 PM
This is partially the last phase of development in Clayton Park West, which is due to coincide with the potential opening of the Mainland Common park.

bluenoser
Oct 15, 2007, 9:36 PM
Yes I think most of the NE chunk (at least) of that shaded area falls under the mainland common. I think the school (Halifax West) and the baseball and indoor soccer fields are technically part of the common.

I also remember reading that Bayer's Lake wanted another exit off the 102 but the province wouldn't allow it due to the two existing exits being too close, thus cluttering the highway. I thought they had decided instead to build a tunnel under the highway, I guess to somehow connect with Main Ave?

Keith P.
Oct 15, 2007, 9:57 PM
I thought they had decided instead to build a tunnel under the highway, I guess to somehow connect with Main Ave?

They must still be thinking about it. There is no evidence that anything is being done to improve access to Bayers Lake.

someone123
Oct 16, 2007, 2:40 AM
I vaguely remember something about that. Another exit would not work because the 103 interchange is right there. Then again, the NW Arm Drive exit is almost an equal distance farther down. A tunnel under the highway seems like the best option.

One thing they are definitely planning is another exit on the 102 between Kearney Lake and the Hammonds Plains Road.

Eventually there will also be a highway 113 connecting the 102 and 103. I don't know what, if anything, they plan to do between the two endpoints, aside from maybe a Kearney Lake Road exit.

citiguy
Oct 17, 2007, 12:57 PM
someone123, I have notice that you have a lot of information that most people wouldn't be aware of. I work in the industry and I am assuming that you must too.

As for the the exit on to the 102 between Kearney Lake and Hammonds Plains Road it is the extenison of Larry Uteck from the Hemlocks to Bedford West. Which from my understand has to be done before any new development goes up in Bedford South/Hemlocks.

Spitfire75
Oct 17, 2007, 3:48 PM
I find all this stuff so interesting, what industry are you guys in?
I was just looking at google and the end the of the Larry Uteck suburb seems way too close to Kearney Lake exit, are you sure?

Spitfire75
Oct 17, 2007, 3:49 PM
Sry, double post. Forum was glitchy.

citiguy
Oct 17, 2007, 7:58 PM
I am sure of it. The road will curve and end up being between the the Kearney Lake exit and the Bedford exit.

citiguy
Oct 22, 2007, 3:22 AM
Check out the Department of Transportation.

citiguy
Oct 22, 2007, 5:54 PM
Also, check out the final regional plan:

http://www.halifax.ca/regionalplanning/FinalRegPlan.html

and look under future transit and transportation.

Spitfire75
Oct 22, 2007, 11:11 PM
Cool, thanks. lots of info there.