PDA

View Full Version : Portland - Milwaukie Light Rail (PMLR) | Completed

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

MarkDaMan
Mar 26, 2007, 4:10 PM
Co-chairs give two transport packages $350 million
by Libby Tucker
03/26/2007

Alternative transportation scored big in the Ways and Means co-chairs’ recommended budget released by the Oregon Legislature on Thursday.

“There are two key investments we’re proposing,” Rep. Mary Nolan, D-Portland and co-chair of the joint Ways and Means committee said, “subject to the whole deliberative procedure.”

Included in the $15.3 billion budget for the state’s general fund and lottery fund in 2007 to 2009, was the proposed $100 million ConnectOregon 2 multimodal transportation funding package.

The lottery-bond-backed transportation package comes on the heels of the $100 million ConnectOregon package passed by the 2005 Legislature for aviation, rail, transit, and marine infrastructure.

The $250 million Milwaukie light rail project also received an official nod from the co-chairs for lottery-backed bonds slated for 2009 to 2011.

Portland to Milwaukie light rail “has been on the drawing board for quite a while,” said Olivia Clark, TriMet’s executive director of governmental affairs. “The people in inner Southeast Portland and in Clackamas County have been waiting a long time for this.”

Now ten years in the making, the proposed Milwaukie light rail extension project was recently revived by the regional government Metro. If approved, the 6.5-mile line will be completed in 2014, connecting an estimated 20,000 riders to the existing MAX system.

The state allocation will cover 40 percent of the project cost, with the remaining 60 percent provided by the Federal Transit Administration, according to TriMet.

“We need to take advantage of all the planning and preparation for the Milwaukie line,” Nolan said.

Overall, transportation and economic development received $238.7 million of the ’07 to ’09 co-chairs’ budget. The co-chairs’ budget also recommended the creation of a $50 million fund for county roads to supplement money lost from federal timber harvest receipts.

Missing from the budget, however, was any additional allocation for much-needed road maintenance or repair and capital improvement projects. Neither was the proposed Wilsonville to Salem commuter rail extension included.

The Portland Business Alliance, for example, had lobbied for a $350 million transportation funding package to increase freight mobility and decrease highway congestion.

“There’s probably some additional flexibility (for funding) in the transportation subcommittee,” Nolan said. But “probably nothing that would compare in magnitude to those that have already been proposed.”

To view the full budget online visit: www.leg.state.or.us/comm/ lfo/home.htm.

http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?recid=29177&userID=1

NJD
Oct 5, 2007, 2:13 AM
The next expansion of Portland's MAX light rail will be heading south. This is actually the second phase of the South Corridor Project, the first phase of the project being the under construction segments from the Gateway District to Clackamas (Green Line) and the simultaneously constructed Transit Mall tracks down 5th and 6th Avenues in downtown.
http://www.trimet.org/images/projects/southcorridormap.gif
-image from Trimet

This next phase will add tracks from the new Transit Mall's southern terminus over a new bridge to downtown Milwaukie and optionally further.
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/7fe/6f4/7fe6f449-1dea-44f4-b31c-6b69ef605924
-image from Metro

Currently the project is partially funded by dedicated State bonds, and Metro, with Trimet and City and State agencies, are conducting public meetings on the final design before additional funding from the Federal Government is sought. This new line is more than likely going to be an extension of the Yellow Line from North Portland due to its history of being part of the old North - South Light Rail route and the future alignment of the Yellow line down the remodeled Transit Mall. Further expansion will be possible to Oregon City at some future time, however this is unlikely to occur before other proposed lines to Vancouver, Tigard and Forest Grove come to fruition. Increased bus service will be included in the project from the Line's terminus to Oregon City in the mean time.

NJD
Oct 5, 2007, 2:15 AM
A new bridge over the Willamette
Posted by The Oregonian October 04, 2007 16:56PM

Plans are in the works for Portland's first new bridge in 34 years, one that would carry the MAX, streetcars, bicycles and pedestrians over the Willamette River -- but no cars. The bridge would be part of an $810 million planned light-rail line from Portland to Milwaukie.

The exact route the bridge takes across the river could be set within the next three months. A final design and type of construction could take another 18 months.

mcbaby
Oct 5, 2007, 10:30 AM
sounds good.

Dougall5505
Oct 5, 2007, 1:49 PM
Could this be PDX's next bridge?
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1034/1489534655_c3d16702d9_o.png
A new span for the region would carry trains, walkers, bikers, maybe buses. No cars.

Friday, October 05, 2007
DYLAN RIVERA
The Oregonian Staff
Portland's first new bridge in 34 years could be a 30-story, white monument climbing from the Willamette River into the skyline and standing in contrast to the many steel truss structures that define bridge city.

The span would carry light-rail and streetcar service, bicycles, pedestrians and possibly buses. But it would have no cars -- a testament to a generation that built one of the nation's most coveted transit systems.

The bridge would link downtown and OHSU, the city's largest employer, with OMSI, one of its biggest tourist and educational attractions, and with Milwaukie to the south. Carefully sculpted, the span could become a symbol of the region's aspirations as a national center for design and innovation.

"I don't think the Marquam Bridge does that," says Lloyd Lindley, a landscape architect and chairman of the Portland Design Commission. "What would make a great iconic bridge would be something that translates those qualities into something that's identifiable. It can be something as literal as Portlandia or as abstract as the Fremont Bridge."

The exact route the bridge takes across the river is crucial to many riverfront interests -- there are at least five alignments now in play. The route could be set within the next three months. City Council and Metro hearings would follow until a final selection by July. Construction could start in 2011, with an opening in 2015.

That's a dramatically different situation from the last decade or so of wrangling over the light-rail line, money for which failed by a 2 percent margin in a 1998 referendum. Now, the bridge is part of an $880 million planned light-rail line from Portland to Milwaukie that got a big jolt when the Legislature committed $250 million earlier this year.

With money for a bridge within the region's grasp, planners are pushing landowners and businesses on both sides of the river to decide on a route.

"I think this can actually happen," Portland Planning Director Gil Kelley says.

Adding to the core

Aside from the overall goal of connecting the region's growing Southeast suburbs with downtown, Kelley says the bridge has a crucial role to play in Portland's core. It can link the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland State and Portland Community College in what he calls a "science and technology quarter."

"Rather than have the river as a separator, this bridge has the potential to literally join the two banks," Kelley says. "To do that, it needs to be as low as it can possibly be, it needs to be as pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly as it can possibly be, and clearly be transit supportive."

City and regional officials in 1998 chose a route that would link OMSI with the RiverPlace area just north of the Marquam Bridge. A committee of design and civic activists picked a bridge type called a "cable-stayed" structure.

Popularized by the 1992 bridge in Seville, Spain, designed by Santiago Calatrava, cable-stayed spans have a tall column or set of columns tied to a bridge deck with a series of cables. The result often appears like a permeable fan of cables running from the tower's top out to points all along the bridge deck. The design they chose included a 380-foot tall center column, taller than downtown's Fox Tower office building.

Cable-stayed design

TriMet and Metro planners are contemplating a cable-stayed design and a normally less costly concrete segmented design, much like the Glenn Jackson Bridge, which ferries Interstate 205 over the Columbia River. But a segmented bridge could result in multiple columns dipping into the Willamette, disturbing salmon habitat more during construction and leaving more impediments to river navigation.

Metro and TriMet will settle on a bridge type during preliminary engineering, from September 2008 to September 2009.

Before the region picks a bridge design, however, nearby landowners are going to put it through an acrobatic test:

Can the bridge deck leap from ground-level near OMSI to a height of 72 feet above the river, to allow barge traffic? Then, can it descend on the west side in such a way as to remain high enough to clear a waterfront bicycle trail but dip low enough for a street-level station in South Waterfront?

And how well can a train ride up and down steep grades? The wheelchair-bound?

That's just the height issue.

Can the bridge meet the west bank farther south than the 1998 alignment, making for an easy transfer for OHSU employees from the light rail to the Portland Aerial Tram?

Most area landowners say the old route under the Marquam Bridge would not serve the South Waterfront area, which has gone from lines on a map in 1998 to a new high-rise neighborhood that continues to expand. Hundreds of residents have moved into condos, hundreds more units are under construction and 950 OSHU employees report to work daily at the university's first South Waterfront office tower.

OHSU has several more blocks to build on near the tram, and it plans an expansion to the north, on 20 acres donated by Portland's Schnitzer family.

"The way we look at it, the southern end of our property line in the Schnitzer Campus really is the center of our campus," says Mark Williams, OHSU's associate vice president for campus planning, development and real estate.

But that southern alignment could cut off land owned by Zidell Marine, says Bob Durgan, a real estate consultant for Zidell. The longtime family-owned company operates a barge building business on part of 33 acres it owns between OSHU's tram-area land and the Schnitzer Campus site.

Zidell would rather see the bridge touch down wherever it would help the city spur private-sector biotech development in the district, Durgan says. That would also generate tax revenue for South Waterfront's urban renewal district, which has ambitious goals for affordable housing, parks and riverfront wildlife habitat.

Thousands of future South Waterfront workers and residents -- not just OHSU's Marquam Hill employees -- need access to rail, Durgan says.

"It's about the transportation at the bottom of the hill, not the connection to the top of the hill," he says.

OHSU could build on Zidell's land and the Schnitzer site, Durgan says -- that might speed rail service to downtown, and still be within a third of a mile of the tram, according to TriMet estimates.

OHSU's Williams contends that a southern alignment, along what Metro refers to as Porter Street, serves the whole waterfront area, even south of the Ross Island Bridge. And it would leave Zidell with plenty of ripe development sites.

The southern push on the bridge's west end is already prompting planners to nudge the route to the south on the east end as well.

That could mean landing the east bank station a block south of OMSI, between 6 acres it recently bought and the Portland Opera's headquarters just to the south. Opera and OMSI officials say that's their preference.

Such a southern route could morph the bridge design into two columns of a lower height, TriMet officials said.

But what if that produces a zigzag line -- from the opera building to the southern route near the aerial tram? How much track and expense would that add to an already nine-figure project?

How much time would it delay Milwaukie-to downtown Portland commuters? And would it jeopardize federal funding?

Metro and TriMet say they'll have answers by springtime.

And their answers may determine whether the bridge itself is all about utility or also about creating another Portland icon.

Dylan Rivera: 503-221-8532; dylanrivera@news.oregonian.com For environment news, go to http://blog.oregonlive.com/pdxgreen
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1261/1489534623_01b8332923_o.png

NJD
Oct 5, 2007, 6:40 PM
^ I was previously for the original alignment, but now that I am seeing more information out, I think I am more leaning towards the "red" Meade to Caruthers bridge. It would serve the new campus, plus it is closer to the tram and south waterfront, it comes close enough to OMSI, and it is aligned directly between the Ross Island and Marquam Bridges creating huge view corridors and is far less cluttered.

65MAX
Oct 5, 2007, 7:35 PM
Either of the new bridge alignments is a major improvement over the original. However, I still question the wisdom of using Lincoln to get from the bridge to 5th/6th. I-405 would be more direct and operate at much faster speeds (grade-separated) than a Lincoln alignment. Also, a station between 1st and 4th would provide better access to the areas both north and south of I-405.

Oh, and let's hope the final design for the bridge doesn't look like a giant clothes pin.

pdxtraveler
Oct 5, 2007, 8:12 PM
That bridge looks great! I really like it. Is it high enough from river transit though? I know most of that is north, but sail boats and some barge steering bridges are fairly high.

Okstate
Oct 5, 2007, 10:31 PM
Speaking of boats, how popular is the river-boating-dining-sightseeing experience to Portlanders? Has anyone been on the Portland Spirit or any other boat tour, recommendations?

Drew-Ski
Oct 9, 2007, 12:11 AM
The Phase II-Portland to Milwaukie Route, is really going to help spur revitalization in the Inner Central SE and Milwaukie Areas. It is my observation that this region of the Metro has not enjoyed the prosperity that has been witnessed in other areas. This line will definately bring much needed re-developement above what is currently going on in downtown Milwaukie and also ease the traffic issues along this corridor. I really am pleased that the line will connect with OMSI because it is real cumbersome trying to get there now and should really help drive upward the numbers of paid admissions.

zilfondel
Oct 10, 2007, 12:29 AM
Either of the new bridge alignments is a major improvement over the original. However, I still question the wisdom of using Lincoln to get from the bridge to 5th/6th. I-405 would be more direct and operate at much faster speeds (grade-separated) than a Lincoln alignment. Also, a station between 1st and 4th would provide better access to the areas both north and south of I-405.

Agreed! We really don't need the MAX and Streetcar both paralleling a slow-streetcar like service in the PSU area, which already has pretty good transportation connectivity. The MAX should focus on providing fast, efficient transit corridors when it can.

Speaking of boats, how popular is the river-boating-dining-sightseeing experience to Portlanders? Has anyone been on the Portland Spirit or any other boat tour, recommendations?

I have been on the Portland Spirit a couple of times; I found it quite fun and enjoyable - more people should ride it!
I think there is also a riverboat that operates further up the river, but I'm not sure if it goes all the way to Portland or not. I would be intrigued to ride it, actually.

OutrageousJ
Oct 10, 2007, 12:41 AM

I completely agree. In fact, the more grade-separated the better.

On another note, does anyone know if Tri-met has looked into adding "Express" service to any of the new MAX extensions? 4 tracks like New York has probably isn't feasible or needed, but a third track that could be reversed during rush hour times and only hits certain stations (maybe the park&ride and downtown Milwaukie) would save a lot of time and ease loads on the normal trains.

NJD
Oct 31, 2007, 6:15 PM
nothing really new, but here's press from The Bee:

FROM THE EDITOR
Dare we say it? — Inner Southeast light rail MAY get built this time
The Bee, Oct 31, 2007
Eric Norberg / THE BEE

http://www.thebeenews.com/news_graphics/119344449183155300.jpg
At the first of the two workshops, this one at Cleveland High cafeteria, Metro Councilor Robert Liberty was involved the whole evening – starting out with introducing the meeting, and later pitching in to hold maps of the MAX stations under discussion, while participating neighbors summarized the discussions held during the evening about each one.

Since the Inner Southeast first started its invariable support of plans and funding for light rail in the metro area, some three decades ago, it has always been promised it is part of the plan. Taxpayers in this part of town helped pay for Gresham’s successful light rail; we helped pay for Washington County’s successful light rail.

When it came our turn, we supported that too, while Washington County applied a principle introduced to us many years ago in a talk by Jon Kvistad, then President of Metro: “The IGM-NGL factor”, which he translated as, “I Got Mine, Now Get Lost”. The funding measure did not carry for our MAX, and we got pushed off the table.

It was not till the turn of the 21st Century that Tri-Met and Metro attempted to address the obvious transportation needs in this part of town, with light rail seemingly forever off the table, that their suggestions that perhaps extra bus lanes on McLoughlin — or perhaps a nice motorboat service? — might be just the ticket for us. In these public forums, they discovered what we who live here already knew: Forget the speedboats, we want light rail.

One of this editor’s first headline stories late in 2000 when he assumed the position at THE BEE was the news that “light rail is back on the table”. (Two months later, the daily newspaper reported the same.)

Much due diligence in planning and public meetings followed, with the cautious proviso that it was all dependent upon funding appearing. However, things were looking brighter — till we attended an OMSI-sited “final open house” a couple of years later, at which for the very first time we heard of the possibility that instead of building light rail along increasingly congested four-lane McLoughlin Boulevard, it might instead be built alongside a six lane interstate freeway on the eastside.

The idea seemed ludicrous to us; even if projected ridership were similar, as was claimed, clearly the need was along McLoughlin first, and this area had been earmarked for the service from the beginning. However, shortly afterward, the I-205 alignment was selected instead, and they’re building it now. And we all still get stuck in rush hour traffic on McLoughlin.

For the third time, our own MAX line is actively back on the table, and this time things look surprisingly bright. Much of the needed “local” funding (to qualify for federal funding) has been taken care of by the legislature, which has dedicated lottery-backed bonds to our project; we have active supporters now at the federal level, apparently, as well as local advocates including Robert Liberty, this area’s Metro Councilor, Carolyn Tomei and Kate Brown in the state legislature, and Portland’s Transportation Commissioner and newly-announced Mayoral candidate Sam Adams, among many.

As part of the planning process, community workshops took place on October 2nd at Cleveland High and on October 11th at Sellwood Middle School to address siting of our MAX stations, and issues and opportunities surrounding such stations. As Liberty said in introducing these workshops, this was a remarkably early point in the process to plan stations, and it offered the opportunities for neighborhoods to get involved early enough in the process to make a real difference.

The mood was optimistic at the Cleveland High workshop, although residents of the Hosford-Abernethy and Brooklyn neighborhoods for whom it was held also had some concerns about station locations and track routing. For example, in Brooklyn, in order to accommodate the tracks in the center of 17th and still permit free traffic flow on the street, 17th would be widened, with the extra space suggested to come from the west side, thus taking out a few small businesses.

If that workshop was positive, the Sellwood Middle School meeting was much more so; we heard virtually no qualms from the neighbors participating, and the Harold Street station, once in the plan and then unobtrusively removed in the mid-’90’s is now back on the map “tentatively”, as we have long advocated. Next job: Remove the word “tentative”.

We also were quite impressed with the very positive response to a suggestion of our own: That since the proposed Harold Street station, on the east side of McLoughlin at the Brooklyn Train Yard vehicle entrance, would be only two blocks from Reedway, and a Reedway right-of-way still exists east of the rails from the days in the mid-1930’s before McLoughlin was completed and cut it off, why not build a bike-and-pedestrian footbridge over the Union Pacific main line at Reedway?

Such a path would allow Reed College students easy access to MAX, as well as residents in the huge Wimbledon Square apartment complex just north of there, and would additionally allow easy and fast bike and pedestrian access between Westmoreland and Reed College and the Reed neighborhood, and vice versa.

The Harold Street pedestrian crossing is an already established route generations have gotten across McLoughlin with, to catch northbound buses; with MAX and the additional traffic the footpath might create to and from Westmoreland, the only needed step (already long overdue) is upgrading the responsiveness of the timing mechanism on the Harold Street light.

At each workshop, facilitators worked with neighbors around tables devoted to specific proposed MAX stations, identifying issues and opportunities, and concluding with a summary for the whole room on the outcome of each table’s discussions, presented by one of the participant neighbors.

Next step: Late this month, two open houses, to summarize those workshops and provide further public input: On Monday, November 26th at Sellwood Middle School Cafeteria, and on Tuesday, November 27th, at OMSI Auditorium. Both events will run from 6 till 8 pm, and your invitation is to “drop in anytime”.

NJD
Nov 24, 2007, 9:39 PM
Metro is studying the southern terminus options and is looking for feedback. I prefer the Tillamook Branch alignment for higher speed and less impact on historic and other existing buildings, and I also like the extension to Park rather than DT Milwaukie. Frankly, the further south the alignment is the more feasable an extension to Oregon City becomes.
http://www.metro-region.org/files/planning/ptld-milw_align_fact_sheet-south.pdf

bvpcvm
Nov 25, 2007, 12:01 AM
the tillamook branch to park place is definitely FAR better than the others. also, probably cheaper - fewer sharp curves and less street-running.

Sekkle
Apr 28, 2008, 8:30 PM
Some info from the latest Portland Streetcar Citizens Advisory Committee meeting minutes (http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/cgi-local/journal.cgi?folder=journal&next=61)…

Karen Withrow from Metro made a presentation about the Milwaukie Light Rail Project. Metro started on the Portland-Milwaukie project approximately a year ago and they are preparing to release the Environmental Impact Statement in April 2008 which will start the public comment period. They will hold three open houses and a public hearing during the comment period. Metro wants to make sure that people are aware of the project and aware of ways they can contribute input into the project. Bob Richardson asked about where the bulk of the cost increases are going to be. Withrow responded that a substantial piece of the costs increase is that they are looking to extend the project further south approximately two miles from the original design, which includes some elevated track. Also, the cost of construction has increased since the original cost estimates were released. There will be a lot more information in the Environmental Impact Statement about the expected costs.

Chris Smith asked about the bridge crossing. Withrow responded that there is good discussion coming out of the partnership committee. Metro and the committees have been talking to property owners about the bridge alignment and it seems there may be something between Porter and Mead (Southern end of the OHSU campus) on the west side. On the east side the most support is for Sherman. None of the bridge crossing options come close to touching the island. They are all North of the Tram. Smith asked about the difference between the draft EIS and the final EIS. Withrow responded that the draft is more minimal and that there will be more detail when the final EIS is submitted. Susan Pearce asked about the height of the bridge. Withrow responded that there are ongoing discussions with the users of the river and that the two heights that are being discussed are 65ft and 72ft. Based on the discussions so far it looks like 72ft is more likely (the Sellwood Bridge is 75ft). Richardson asked about what the highest incline we can have and still have a navigable bridge. Withrow responded that the current grade is designed at an incline between 4% and 5%.

tworivers
Apr 28, 2008, 8:48 PM
Two full miles?? How far is OC from Milwaukie?

**edit: looks like approx. 6 miles? Man, I wish they'd just decide to go all the way, so a future extension would be unnecessary. Still, a 2-mile increase is good news...

NJD
Apr 28, 2008, 9:25 PM
^ interesting... the earlier extension to Park is only 3/4 mile from the Milwaukie design terminus, which means it could extend to Oak Grove Blvd (I believe there is a Fred Meyer there) or Concord Road along McLoughlin (or the trolley ROW). Lake Oswego is also 2 miles from the original terminus...

bvpcvm
Apr 29, 2008, 1:53 AM
milwaukie terminus + 2 miles = Risley Ave
park ave + 2 miles = Naef Rd

but it would surprise if they're really doing this. there's nothing about it on metro's web site. the most recent document (3/28) shows the alignment with "potential" extension to park ave. honestly, i think following the route back over the river to lake oswego would be the best way to go (the streetcar route has always seemed fairly iffy to me).

rsbear
Apr 29, 2008, 3:05 AM
milwaukie terminus + 2 miles = Risley Ave
park ave + 2 miles = Naef Rd

but it would surprise if they're really doing this. there's nothing about it on metro's web site. the most recent document (3/28) shows the alignment with "potential" extension to park ave. honestly, i think following the route back over the river to lake oswego would be the best way to go (the streetcar route has always seemed fairly iffy to me).

And from Lake Oswego west through the existing right-of-way to meet up with WES in Tigard. And continue on the east side down to Oregon City. If off-peak each line ran every 15 minutes that would still leave Milwaukie to Portland headways of only 7 1/2 minutes - off peak. Then continue the green line down I205 to Oregon City to meet up with that line.

bvpcvm
Apr 29, 2008, 2:20 PM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=120940989590562900

OHSU lobbies for rail route

By Jim Redden
The Portland Tribune, Apr 29, 2008
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news_graphics/120941257166596200.jpg
In an open house today, Oregon Health & Science University is looking for public input on its plans for a satellite campus on 9.3 donated acres in the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area. The design would place the new MAX line along the campus’ southern edge on its way out of downtown.
COURTESY OF OHSU

An intense three-month period of public review, comment and decisions on the next MAX line kicks off informally today.
It’s the day Oregon Health & Science University holds an open house on the latest design for its proposed satellite campus in the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area.
The campus will be built on 9.3 acres donated to the teaching university by the Schnitzer family.
Although it’s not officially part of the regional decision-making process on the Portland-to-Milwaukie light-rail line, the design includes the route OHSU wants for the planned bridge across the Willamette River that will carry the line from downtown through its campus.
As depicted in the maps to be displayed at the open house, the route would carry the line along the southern edge of its 19.3-acre campus, where it abuts property held by ZRZ Inc., the barge-building company owned by the Zidell family.
Among planners working on the line, the route is known as the revised Porter-Sherman alignment.
It would follow a new Southwest Porter Street on the campus before crossing the river over the bridge and landing on Southeast Sherman Street between the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry and the Portland Opera headquarters.
OHSU does not have the authority to set the alignment, however.
That will be determined over the next three months by the governments and agencies that are partnering on the project — the cities of Portland and Milwaukie, TriMet, and Metro, the regional government charged with managing growth in most of the tri-county region.
The goal is to submit a detailed plan for the line to the federal government on Aug. 1 so that it can be included for funding in the Omnibus Transportation Spending bill that Congress is expected to pass next year.
The total cost is estimated at between $1.25 billion and $1.4 billion, with the federal government expected to contribute $750 million.
The state of Oregon has committed $250 million in lottery-backed bond funds, with the local governments expected to pay the balance.
Major steps toward these decisions are scheduled to begin shortly after today’s open house.
An advisory committee chaired by former Portland Mayor Vera Katz is scheduled to meet May 1 to recommend a route for the bridge.
Called the Willamette River Partnership Committee, it comprises property owners on both sides of the river, including the owners of the Portland Spirit tour boat, which docks along the east bank of the river near where the bridge could touch down.
David Knowles, a consultant working on the project, said the Porter-Sherman alignment is receiving serious consideration.
Within two weeks of the group’s making its recommendation, Metro is scheduled to release a Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the entire Portland-to-Milwaukie route. It will analyze a number of alternatives that have been under discussion and is intended to help the participating governments make their decisions.
Public comment will be taken for 45 days after the release of the environmental impact statement.
Big decisions are on horizon

Metro is tentatively scheduled to hold open houses on the line May 15 and May 27, with times and locations to be announced.
A Citizens Advisory Committee helping Metro will make its recommendations before the end of the public comment period.
Some of the biggest decisions will then be made by a steering committee consisting of elected officials from the jurisdictions along the line.
They will choose the exact route, including the alignment of the river bridge and the location of the station stops.
Those recommendations will go to Metro for approval before being submitted to the federal government. The elected Metro Council is scheduled to adopt what is called the locally preferred alternative of the plan July 24.
As it is designing its satellite campus, OHSU is concerned about far more than just the route of the next MAX line.
Because the location is a former brownfield with no real street grid, it’s essentially a blank slate — giving designers a free hand to place the roads and bridges within it.
According to Susan Hartnett, OHSU’s director of transportation who is working on the project, one goal is to create the most environmentally sustainable campus in the country.
Toward that end, the current design calls for streets to be oriented slightly off a true east-west alignment to allow the buildings to take full advantage of the sun’s heating rays.
Campus rises up, literally

Hartnett and other OHSU officials also are working to determine the best land elevations throughout the campus. The site is below the allowable flood line set by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. It will be raised substantially by fill dirt before construction begins.
Depending on the design of the bridge ramp, portions of the new Porter Street could be raised 14 feet over its current elevation. Other parts of the campus will need to be raised at least 4 feet, Hartnett said.
The proposed design includes a 100-foot-wide Willamette Greenway running the length of the campus.
This feature is included in the city’s master plan for the North Macadam area. OHSU is not in a position to determine the exact greenway design, however, because most of that land is owned by ZRZ.
Hartnett cautioned that although a lot of work has gone into the campus design proposal, it is not intended to be the final version. Public feedback from the open house will help shape refinements, Hartnett said.
No schedule has been set yet for construction to begin.

jimredden@portlandtribune.com

NJD
Apr 30, 2008, 9:57 PM
Milwaukians want Park Avenue extension for light rail
Station location desires downtown vary; many frustrated over process

By Matthew Graham
The Clackamas Review, Apr 30, 2008

If light rail is coming through Milwaukie, residents want it extended to Park Avenue.

That was the sentiment at a meeting Monday night at which residents got to voice their preference for a terminus — either Lake Road downtown or Park Avenue in Oak Grove — and for station placements in Milwaukie. Residents provided input on whether they wanted one or two stations, and where they preferred the stops; at Harrison, Monroe, Washington or Lake.

“The project itself is a regional project and Milwaukie has a voice in that project, but it’s a single voice,” said Kenny Asher, Milwaukie community development director. “But I would say [the Milwaukie site location] is a local choice. In terms of planning them, that’s for this community to decide.”

“It’s city staff that is asking you to help us answer these questions,” Asher said, explaining that the meeting was put on by the city, though Metro and TriMet representatives attended.

Park Avenue preferred

Many community members supported the light rail extension down to Oak Grove for two reasons: they saw a terminus and turnaround as too large and cumbersome for Lake Road at the south end of downtown; and they realized the benefit of catching more potential traffic farther south.

“I think what makes this particular line work is the extension to Park Avenue because you have to catch the traffic before it hits the bottleneck,” said Jeff Klein, chair of both the Lewelling Neighborhood District Association and the Planning Commission.

Linda Hedges, secretary of the Hector-Campbell NDA, said she wants an extension to Park Avenue with a station at Lake Road.

“I think the Lake Road area has the biggest potential for future redevelopment,” she said.

Some didn’t have specific site preferences, but had ideas for the downtown area.

Wallace Bischoff, a 48-year resident of Milwaukie, said having a single station would allow for a more concentrated police presence, and said at least one station is necessary to serve the riverfront area and to develop commercial properties downtown.

While Jerry Foy, of St. John’s church and school, said one station on the north end of downtown, away from the schools, would be best if light rail comes through.

Frustrations over process

Some in attendance, though, expressed frustration over the process, saying they couldn’t make these decisions without data on their impacts, some of which will be included in the Supplemental Draft Environmental Impact Statement to be released May 9, while others said the city’s and Metro’s process was insufficient.

“The way this meeting is set up it will reflect in the record later as people having agreed to one or two of the stations” when they’re fundamentally opposed to light rail, said Beth Wasko.

Some said they felt like children being asked what color sweater they preferred — a question meant more to make them feel like they were making an important and consequential decision, though either way they’d be wearing a sweater they didn't like.

Mike Miller said he needed more information to make such a decision.

“I don’t know how you make a decision on a station when you don’t have the impacts on the neighborhoods, you don’t have the costs to the city,” he said.

And Patty Wisner, chair of the Design and Landmarks Commission, took that sentiment one step further.

“After going to the last station planning meeting I thought this was an exercise in futility without knowing the effects on traffic on our streets,” she said. “I think relying on the SDEIS to placate our concerns is lame at best.”

Wisner said she wants Milwaukie staff to find a neighborhood in Portland with similar characteristics in terms of street size and traffic that now has light rail and to study the traffic backup when a train comes through.

“And then let’s get flaggers out and actually stop traffic for those time intervals in Milwaukie,” Wisner continued. “Let’s stop traffic in Milwaukie before millions and billions are spent, because those people at TriMet and Metro, this project is job security for them … they don’t have to live with it in Milwaukie.”

Asher replied that finding out those things was the whole reason for the SDEIS.

“The EIS process, the reason we keep talking about it, all the questions you guys are asking, everything under the sun, are the reason” it’s required, he said. “For me, spending millions of dollars and a year-and-a-half with an army of [engineers and consultants], that’s what I want as a taxpayer of the region.”

NJD
Apr 30, 2008, 10:03 PM
Span Spin
Diagnosis for a new bridge alignment: OHSU benefits.
http://wweek.com/photos/3425/large/10906.jpg
BY NIGEL JAQUISS | njaquiss at wweek dot com

Former Mayor Vera Katz will double down this week on a big bet she made years ago that OHSU’s dreams would power Portland’s future.

Katz—who is chairing a committee that includes representatives from TriMet, Metro and the City of Portland—is scheduled Thursday, May 1, to announce the preferred alignment for a new bridge over the Willamette River that would finally extend light rail from downtown to Milwaukie.

Such a light-rail extension has been planned for more than a decade. But after months of study, Katz’s committee—staffed by her former planning director, David Knowles, now a private consultant—has decided to recommend shifting it south, close to Oregon Health & Science University’s South Waterfront campus.

The 6.5-mile extension to Milwaukie inched closer to reality last year, when the Legislature committed $250 million in lottery-backed bonds to what TriMet spokeswoman Mary Fetsch says is a project price tag of $1.25 billion to $1.4 billion.

A battle among South Waterfront property owners during Katz’s tenure over where light rail would cross the Willamette ended in 2003 with a “locally preferred alternative” that crossed the river at Southwest Harrison Street near Riverplace. That line would run in a straight line across the Willamette to OMSI.

A lot has changed since then, however. The city has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in infrastructure in South Waterfront, including extending the Portland Streetcar and building the tram to OHSU, two projects that were initiated when Katz was mayor.

Now OHSU wants the light-rail bridge shifted to the south of its planned “Schnitzer Campus.” A stop there would serve its 1,000 employees in the current South Waterfront building and another 11,000 employees on Marquam Hill.

OHSU, which recorded 672,000 patients visits last year, is the city’s biggest generator of traffic, OHSU real estate director Mark Williams says.

“We’re trying to carry on the mission of providing health care and medical education to the public,” Williams says. “As part of that public mission, we want to get people out of cars and a different [light-rail] alignment will help us do that.”

As with any public project, two central questions are who pays and who benefits. Like the tram, such a shift in the light-rail extension will provide a big benefit to OHSU, the city’s largest employer. And like the tram, much of the added cost will probably be borne by adjacent businesses—and depending on the ultimate price tag and discipline to the project’s budget, possibly taxpayers.

Katz calls any comparison to the tram incorrect. “This bridge will benefit the whole region,” she says. “It will help OHSU as well, but it’s about time we stepped up to help the city’s largest employer.” Tom Miller, chief of staff to City Commissioner Sam Adams, who directs the Office of Transportation, says local businesses should pick up the incremental cost of extending the project to accommodate OHSU’s vision for South Waterfront.

One of those businesses, Zidell Marine, which builds barges just south of the Ross Island bridge, has argued for sticking close to the 2003 alignment.

Doing so, says company representative Bob Durgan, would maximize the amount of developable land in South Waterfront and be cheaper.

TriMet project manager Dave Unsworth says shifting the alignment south will add $34 million, but significantly boost ridership by linking to the tram and South Waterfront. He adds that the 2003 alignment would have created disastrous traffic and required costly elevation.

“The extra cost could end up being a wash, and we get more ridership and less traffic,” he says.

NJD
Apr 30, 2008, 10:17 PM
don't want the Lincoln stop? want a stop near Reed? prefer an extension southward?

Comment period has begun for Milwaukie MAX:
send comments, questions and concerns to: trans@metro.dst.or.us
info at: www.metro-region.org/southcorridor

bvpcvm
May 1, 2008, 12:16 AM
what i don't like about this is that the nearest station is still almost 1/4 mile from the tram, so it'll almost get you there - but not quite. of course, going all the way down to the tram would really complicate crossing the river, so i guess there's no actual good solution.

zilfondel
May 1, 2008, 6:16 AM
I still don't see why this corridor will cost around $150 million/mile (excluding the cost of a what - $400 million bridge?).

thats double the cost of every other previous MAX extension...

I dunno tho, the Bybee station will be pretty close to Reed College. Maybe a 1/4 mile walk.

urbanlife
May 1, 2008, 5:52 PM
I still don't see why this corridor will cost around $150 million/mile (excluding the cost of a what - $400 million bridge?).

thats double the cost of every other previous MAX extension...

I dunno tho, the Bybee station will be pretty close to Reed College. Maybe a 1/4 mile walk.

I am guessing it has something to do with the elevation change. The streetcar had alot to deal with to get down to the water.

NJD
May 1, 2008, 6:46 PM
^ Trimet and Metro have yet to release the details of the alignment, only lines on maps and aerial photographs. My guess is a lot of aerial guideway to and from the new bridge, grade cuts separating railroad and major street interchanges, the land and building acquisitions along most of this route (versus in street ROW and Freeway shoulders as we have seen on previous projects), mitigation and safety measures for the nearby residents, and mostly the crazy construction boom worldwide causing material prices to skyrocket all contribute to the overall cost.

MarkDaMan
May 2, 2008, 3:36 PM
WoW, this thing is picking up steam!

Panel realigns route of Portland to Milwaukie light-rail span
The proposed Willamette River crossing would link the South Waterfront to an area south of OMSI
Friday, May 02, 2008
ERIC MORTENSON
The Oregonian

A new bridge to carry light-rail trains, streetcars, bicyclists and pedestrians over the Willamette River should be built on an alignment that connects one of Portland's biggest tourist draws to its biggest employer, a committee of property owners, business leaders and government officials agreed Thursday.

The Willamette River Crossing Partnership, chaired by former Mayor Vera Katz, recommended what it called a "most supported" alignment. The crossing, part of the new $1 billion-plus Portland to Milwaukie light-rail line, would jump the river just south of Oregon Museum of Science and Industry on the east side and land on the west side between Southwest Meade and Sherman streets.

The western landing would provide access to Oregon Health & Science University's South Waterfront property and to the aerial tram that ascends to the medical school's facilities on the hill.

The alignment puts the new bridge between the Marquam Bridge to the north and the Ross Island Bridge to the south. The recommendation goes to the Project Steering Committee, made up of elected officials.

Final alignment approval is expected this summer, after which bridge design and engineering work would begin in earnest. Construction is tentatively scheduled for 2011-14. The bridge would go into service in 2015.

Many details must be sorted out before then.

Mariners are concerned that the bridge be high enough -- 75 feet above the water line is the working assumption -- to allow river traffic. They also say the channel in which they pass under the bridge should be aligned with other bridges, so boats and long barges in particular don't have to swerve back and forth to make passage.

Also at issue are the landings on either end, the location of pilings and the slope of the bridge.

The cost of the overall project, including the bridge, is estimated at $1.25 billion to $1.4 billion. Of that, $1 billion is known to be available. The federal government will provide up to $750 million, and the Oregon Legislature has allocated $250 million in state lottery bond money.

That leaves a local match of $250 million to $400 million, and Metro may provide $72 million toward that figure, said Richard Brandman, the regional government's deputy planning director.

The light-rail extension, nearly seven miles long, is a joint project of the cities of Portland, Milwaukie and Oregon City, Clackamas and Multnomah counties, TriMet, Metro and the Oregon Department of Transportation.

Previous proposed alignments for the bridge included one that would have swooped under the Marquam Bridge. That's been discarded in favor of an alignment that links what planners say could be Portland's science and technology quarter, in addition to providing mass transit to the fast-growing suburbs southeast of the city.
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/120969693220700.xml&coll=7

zilfondel
May 2, 2008, 10:51 PM
hopefully we'll be able to walk/bike across the river at that point, too. That would be awesome.

CouvScott
May 6, 2008, 2:53 PM
Newest alignment would connect Oregon Health and Science University, OMSI with bridge across Willamette River
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Monday, May 5, 2008
BY TYLER GRAF
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/couvttocs/southcorridorbridgeoptions.jpg
As Metro prepares to release the draft environmental impact statement for the South Corridor Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Project, the River Partnership Committee, composed of residents and business leaders and headed by former Mayor Vera Katz, has presented its own option for the location of a bridge across the Willamette River.

The committee is recommending a bridge that would connect Oregon Health and Science University to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, as a way of bridging the science and technology corridor that spans the river. Like the other alternatives presented in the environmental statement, the committee’s recommended option would carry cars, bikes, pedestrians and light rail, but it would do so from a westside landing between Mead and Porter streets.

“It’s very realistic that this (newer option) could be the option used down the road,” said Karen Kane, senior public policy coordinator for Metro.

The impact statement, set for release this week, examines the current site locations for the multi-modal bridge along the South Corridor.

The committee’s recommendation, however, is not addressed in the environmental statement. The proposals included date back to 2003, when Metro Council identified its original option, consisting of 6.4 miles of light rail, 11 stations and the new bridge across the Willamette River just south of the Marquam Bridge.

Four other alternative options identified in the environmental statement all would place the eventual bridge farther south than the 2003 option, and at a greater cost. The location of the option proposed by the River Partnership Committee, with its OHSU-to-OMSI connection, would fall in the middle of the said bridge proposals already studied in the environmental statement.

Portland city planner Steve Iwata says “hybrid options”, such as the new proposal, can emerge as long as their effects are eventually studied.

“This should make the process less complicated,” Iwata said, adding that there has been strong involvement from business leaders and residents.

The new proposal will likely be studied in the final environmental impact statement, Kane, of Metro, saids.

However, the light-rail project would require the acquisition of between 55 and 62 properties, including between two to four residences. Several of the neighborhoods through which the new light rail would travel are home to a significant number of minority and low-income residents, though Metro maintains in the environmental study that no “disproportionately adverse effects are anticipated.”

And although the new proposals are more expensive, they still fit into the budgetary parameters set out by the environmental statement, according to Iwata. It would also fulfill OHSU’s transportation and environmental goals, Metro said.

According to the statement, between 22,000 and 25,000 daily light-rail trips would be expected along the Portland-Milwaukie corridor by the year 2030, depending on the option chosen.

Public comment on the impact statement begins May 9 and lasts for 45 days. During the middle of that period, a citizen advisory council will be making its recommendations. At the end of the period, project management will make its recommendations.

urbanlife
May 6, 2008, 5:27 PM
hopefully we'll be able to walk/bike across the river at that point, too. That would be awesome.

I think the bridge would be a waste if that wasnt included into it.

alexjon
May 6, 2008, 6:49 PM
I thought that was the plan from the get-go?

I'd be pretty mad if it didn't happen, especially since walking across the Ross Island Bridge is nothing short of frightening.

tworivers
May 6, 2008, 7:25 PM
Comment period has begun for Milwaukie MAX:
send comments, questions and concerns to: trans@metro.dst.or.us
info at: www.metro-region.org/southcorridor

I'm not seeing anything on that webpage about a comment period being underway -- just that there will be one this summer.

Sekkle
May 6, 2008, 9:21 PM
^ It is underway (well, starting May 9th anyway). Go here (http://www.metro-region.org/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=223) for info. The supplemental draft EIS (http://www.metro-region.org/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=27496) has been posted.

tworivers
May 6, 2008, 9:57 PM
My bad -- thanks.

NJD
May 7, 2008, 1:03 AM
In response to an email inquiry about the bridge design, a public affairs coordinator from Metro responded:
the bridge will not have auto lanes but is designed to have a pedestrian and bicycle path. Also, the more southern bridge alignments are currently the ones we're hearing the most favorable comments about.

NJD
May 8, 2008, 8:05 PM
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/552/5ad/5525ad46-36fc-4d6e-bc39-18c02a310d36

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/4be/21a/4be21ae9-b2e0-4e44-95fd-0d19cf49d189

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/985/3f6/9853f641-d0b5-43d1-a09d-5030c8c53a9b

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/275/ac3/275ac3e5-f5b2-4271-bdff-a70dffb446db

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/6c4/d41/6c4d41de-1b2a-475c-80a1-9b200c6e8986

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/5bb/63a/5bb63a7a-a3ca-45ac-8714-d9814b2f03ca

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/a09/d7f/a09d7ff2-7b54-415a-983e-3b4be0cb5446

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/8d5/ee2/8d5ee268-1bd3-45ae-b6d3-0496fcf1a93b

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/349/b73/349b734a-1935-44e1-8a02-65785eaeefef

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/a0b/fae/a0bfaed3-f0a8-48da-8b91-88d176641200

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/23d/dea/23ddea23-6f1d-4bdc-8dcc-2dbea2d864db

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/ee3/910/ee3910bc-0d15-42c6-9adc-3cfe0df67be6

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/aaf/cab/aafcabbe-5b0e-412c-bb8d-2a737b5cb066

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/535/57f/53557f71-15bb-4ee5-8bcc-07782dfaef52

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/7ed/ac3/7edac325-2879-4fdc-a1f7-00ab47432724

Note: these renderings are at 5% design and will more than likely change. Also, notice that buses will travel over the new bridge and on the viaduct to Lincoln Street. The last picture eludes to Trimet running the CRC light rail and not C-Tran.

OutrageousJ
May 9, 2008, 1:58 AM
Great pictures - are there more available online somewhere?

I really hope Tri-met does the project correctly, and makes the alignment as fast as possible (fewer stations, more grade separated, etc.)

MarkDaMan
May 9, 2008, 2:31 AM
please not the concrete segmented bridge...that is so much the Portland way though.

RED_PDXer
May 9, 2008, 2:49 AM
I really hope Tri-met does the project correctly, and makes the alignment as fast as possible (fewer stations, more grade separated, etc.)

This alignment will likely be fairly fast. The Harbor Drive and Harold Ave stations will not be cost effective and will probably be removed from the station list while the City of Milwaukie is against the Main St. alignment (resulting in one less station and a grade separated alignment in that area) in the North Industrial area and citizens there have voiced preference for only one station in downtown Milwaukie (which is all it really needs). Also, the only way to extend south of Milwaukie will be a grade-separated alignment because ODOT refuses to allow an at-grade crossing of McLoughlin Blvd. Thus, all the cards are in favor of a faster alignment. The downside however (as I'm sure we've all heard), is that the alignment will be quite costly. TriMet probably can't afford to extend the alignment to Park Ave, so the crux of this project lies with the City of Milwaukie and whether or not they'll support it ending in downtown Milwaukie (resulting in more park-and-ride traffic in their sleepy town). If any of you live in or around Milwaukie and you want this project to happen, you best be speaking up NOW!

RED_PDXer
May 9, 2008, 2:58 AM
please not the concrete segmented bridge...that is so much the Portland way though.

Initially I agreed with you that the concrete segmental bridge was not the way to go, that we should spend more money on a more architecturally significant bridge. However, my initial reaction doesn't jive with the context of this bridge. There are tall buildings in South Waterfront, there are bridges close by on either side of this alignment, and there's a scenic horizon to the east. This bridge would be competing visually with too many things. I think the CRC bridge is more fitting for an architecturally significant design because it stands out and can be viewed from all around, whereas this bridge is in a crowded setting already. Of course the CRC bridge is limited in height because of the airport nearby.. that's a whole other issue though..

MarkDaMan
May 9, 2008, 4:39 AM
The CRC, if built, will be an architecturally bunk bridge. It will be functional and that is it.

A stunning bridge next to the Marquam (and let's all admit it is here to stay for MANY years) is needed in DT Portland. I have yet to see that the cost of a suspension bridge is actually that much more expensive than a box girder bridge. And if it is, I think a discussion at the point is necessary.

philopdx
May 9, 2008, 7:50 AM
I say "go go go" and "rah rah rah", let's do something fantastic and leave an aesthetic legacy. Enough with the mediocrity - that's what places like Alabama are for. We are a Pacific Rim city, let's reach for the stars!

I'm sure we can have our cake and eat it too - some kind of sensible balance to build a striking structure, but preserving the majesty of the surrounding area. If San Francisco and Boston can do it, so can we!

NJD
May 9, 2008, 4:21 PM
Here are the actual cost estimates. From: http://www.metro-region.org/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=27496 Notice how much inflation is effecting this project...
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/ab2/e5b/ab2e5b02-c090-4fa2-a5ee-24e1e0be5ade

Here are several excerpts from the Lake O-Portland Streetcar alternatives evaluation summary with some interesting info about the Milwaukie MAX project... from: http://www.metro-region.org/files/planning/loaa_draft_exec_sum_web.pdf
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/550/d76/550d76b5-5f1b-47c6-b63d-ca7332a3696c

alexjon
May 9, 2008, 6:43 PM
Cable-stayed! CABLE-STAYED!

The 251
May 15, 2008, 5:06 AM
I say "go go go" and "rah rah rah", let's do something fantastic and leave an aesthetic legacy. Enough with the mediocrity - that's what places like Alabama are for.

You’re right on the money with that comment. Wait.. uhh, well… maybe we could check our sources? You should check out these links to reports published by some of the most globally renowned companies: Forbes, CNN, and Expansion Management Corporation.
No hard feelings though.. just sticking up for my home :D

#1: Mobile, AL - America's 10 Fastest-Growing Large And Small Metros (http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/30/economy-cities-alabama-biz-cx_bw_0130econcities_slide_12.html?thisSpeed=30000)
(note that Mobile is number one in BOTH lists)

#4: Huntsville, AL - America's 10 Fastest-Growing Large And Small Metros (http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/30/economy-cities-alabama-biz-cx_bw_0130econcities_slide_15.html?thisSpeed=30000)

#6: Auburn, AL - America's 10 Fastest-Growing Large And Small Metros (http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/30/economy-cities-alabama-biz-cx_bw_0130econcities_slide_17.html?thisSpeed=30000)

#3: Birmingham, AL - Top 10 Fastest Growing Real Estate Markets (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/moneymag/0805/gallery.resg_gainers.moneymag/3.html)

# 5: Montgomery, AL - Top 10 Cities For Investment Opportunities (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/biz2/0709/gallery.boom_towns.biz2/5.html)

#7: Mobile, AL - Top 10 Cities For Investment Opportunities (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/biz2/0709/gallery.boom_towns.biz2/7.html)

#10: State of Alabama - Top 10 States For Starting a Business (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/fsb/0711/gallery.Top10BestStates.fsb/index.html)

Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville AL - America's 50 "Hottest" Cities (http://www.expansionmanagement.com/smo/DocReserve/DocReserve_Content/1-List%20of%2050%20Hottest%20Cities(2).pdf)

#75: Hoover, AL - Top 100 Best Places to Live (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/top100/index3.html)

#86: Huntsville, AL - Top 100 Best Places to Live (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fsb/0803/gallery.best_places_to_launch.fsb/86.html)

#96: Daphne, AL - Top 100 Best Places to Live (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2005/top100/top100_4.html)

#8: Daphne, AL - Top 400 Strongest Micropolitan Economies in U.S. (2006) (http://www.policom.com/EconomicStrength2007.pdf)

I could go on and on, with more reports about our economy but you probably aren't interested. I would be suprised if anyone even looks at these reports at all... but its worth a try. :)

Okstate
May 15, 2008, 3:43 PM
^ it was an ignorant statement..don't worry about it.

alexjon
May 16, 2008, 2:17 AM
And besides, it was architectural commentary, not economic.

MarkDaMan
May 16, 2008, 2:44 AM
why post a bunch of top this or that lists? Doesn't show much more than insecurity.

Post pics and show us why someone's comments are off the mark, instead of a bunch of meaningless lists of accolades.

Portland has quiet a few top this or that lists too...and for things like livability, greenieness, open space, bike commuting, LEED buildings, alternative energy usage per capita, best micro brews, and such. I couldn't care less if you have the fastest growing metro. Chandler, Arizona for many years was the fastest growing city over 100,000 and I can attest, nothing of great interest was going up there.

oh, and all those top 100 places to live...well, Hoover, Huntsville, and Daphne, were behind gems like, charming Layton, UT at 41, stunning Livermore, CA at 31, breathtaking Henderson, NV at 20, and let's not forget, one of the most desirable places to live, even in the top ten, Sugar Land, TX, at NUMBER THREE...you might even run into Tom DeLay there!

no hard feelings though, just a little ribbing

philopdx
May 16, 2008, 3:11 AM
Well, you know, I guess I just touched a nerve, so I'm very sorry for that. My comments were describing the mostly lackluster architecture in my home state!

Yes, that's right - I lived 28 years in Alabama, so I do know of what I speak. The irony is, The 251, that Mobile has one of the most striking buildings in the state - The RSA Battle House tower! If ya'll could build 20 more like that, you'd be in business!

And okstate, I have no quarrel with you and I wasn't making commentary on your state. Never been to Stillwater, but I loved Norman when I was there last year! But, bottom line is, the statement wasn't based on the lack of knowledge (ignorance) - it was based on YEARS of agony!! :D

That being tidied up, I will leave you gentlemen with two cheeky tidbits of news from my home state!

It's a.... family tradition
http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=5598920&nav=menu33_3_6

Praise be unto the lawd!
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/1008072scuba1.html

Okstate
May 16, 2008, 4:36 AM
^ Well in the spirit of those stories...I can't resist adding to the list with some of my local news. My vocab wasn't up to par Phil... my bad. :)
http://www.stillwater-newspress.com/local/local_story_136075242.html

The 251
May 16, 2008, 4:59 AM
why post a bunch of top this or that lists? Doesn't show much more than insecurity. Post pics and show us why someone's comments are off the mark, instead of a bunch of meaningless lists of accolades.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying... I wasn't trying to compare Alabama to any specific place, I was just saying we have a lot more going on here than you would think. I just appreciate as much recognition as possible, because it is hard to come by. Not trying to start a war, just educating you on some info I think you might find interesting about my neck of the woods. :)

Here are a few pictures of where I live in Mobile, AL. This is just a mixture of new and old pics I have accumulated over the past 3 years. That is me in the 2nd pic lol.... Hope you enjoy

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/May152008.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/100_1100.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/100_1093.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/water_st_sb_at_govt_st.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/water_st_at_conti_st.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/rsa_curt004.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/rsa_rooftop-1_site.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-03-19_005818.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/100_0011.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/100_0161.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-01-05_060203.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-03-15_232639.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-03-15_232803.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-04-02_143353.png

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-04-02_143944.png

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-04-02_145123.png

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-04-02_145330.png

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-04-02_145757.png

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/91101983.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/_MG_7281re.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/_MG_7706re.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/_mg_6569re417.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/conventioncenter.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/metros_112.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/rsasun.png

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/100_1139.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/us-090_098_truck_wb_at_cochrane_br_.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2007-12-31_022834.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/n100500906_30073110_9463.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/cfiles40229.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2187810920037083228YbRxci_ph.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-03-18_014722.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-03-18_012351.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-03-18_011439.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-03-18_011309.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/sl15.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/sl3.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/slg.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/10258.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/13650.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/15287.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/18119.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/1855.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2894.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/3557.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/6248.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/7568.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/9856.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/1519226485_f5d022628d.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/1520075760_9572189012.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/159716128_fc6ec1c6cc.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/159714775_07cf94cccd.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-03-18_010702.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-03-18_010948.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of Birmingham:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-04-13_232651.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-04-13_233647.jpg

And finally, here are pictures of Huntsville(1) and Montgomery(2):

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/2008-04-14_001149.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/alabama/vfiles6709.jpg

Glad to see you are somewhat interested.
I welcome all of you to come over and check out the threads we have set up in the Southern Region of the Forum. :D

philopdx
May 16, 2008, 6:41 AM
OK, that cable-stayed bridge was pretty cool, I'll admit. I hope we can get something like that up here in PDX.

But the RSA tower though in the last pic - <sigh>, it's set 95 feet back from the street at the primary entrance with no real street level interaction. It's lies on a very large plot and pedestal, surrounded by low level maintenance buildings and fountains so that there wont be any density to speak of within a city block or two radius of the building for a very long time. It's one of many of David's Bronner's alabaster symbols of his own relevance in downtown Montgomery. You can see another one of his buildings immediately to the right of the central tower, it is actually adjacent to the tower in the pic, but in reality it's about half a mile up the hill. The signature RSA tower "look" is an all white finish with a pale green roof. They are multiplying like bacteria in downtown Montgomery.

The Capital City Club is nice, located on the top floor of the RSA tower. I had breakfast there several years ago and was served by black women in powder blue aprons and bonnets, just like in gone with the wind (I sh@# thee not).

Funny place, Montgomery is.

Also, may I add a bit of commentary to the Birmingham pic - notice the absolute gridlock in the foreground. Since the Bham metro has no transit to speak of, vehicle miles driven creeps up year after year. People keep moving further out, first Vestavia, then Hoover, then Helena, then Pelham, then Alabaster, then Chelsea, then Calera and on and on. In contrast, Portland metro's aggregate vehicle miles driven peaked in 2002 and has been dropping since - thanks to MAX and buses and soy-drinking-bike-riding hippies! YEAH!

(I should know since I love soy milk and don't own a car!) :notacrook: :notacrook:

westsider
May 16, 2008, 7:53 AM
Mobile wins hands down, They've got Rich Boy!

---Rich Boy sellin' crack, Just bought a Cadillac (THROW SOME D'S ON THAT BITCH!)---

MarkDaMan
May 16, 2008, 3:24 PM
Thanks for posting...the bridge rocks..couple nice buildings too! Needs some densification but otherwise it surpassed my images of what I thought it would look like

PacificNW
May 16, 2008, 3:57 PM
Thanks for sharing your pics...... It is a part of the country I have yet to visit.

The 251
May 17, 2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks guys. I cant believe you know who Rich Boy is! haha.
We live 2,635 miles away and you have heard of Rich Boy?? Thats awesome :D

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/vickshow/n51209697_30852618_478.jpg

alexjon
May 17, 2008, 9:44 PM
What cute little towns!

tworivers
May 28, 2008, 5:16 AM
Check out the comments section beneath the article (http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=121191131853973100). Holy Milwaukiestan. Does anyone have a guess as to 1.) whether or not a bunch of those comments are likely from the same person or if 2.) A simple article in the "Clackamas Review"/Portland Tribune really does inspire large numbers of people to reveal their true opposition to the evil mass transit and freedom(car)-hating socialist mafia? I suppose the former is more likely, combined with the internet being a great forum for minority-opinion voices to sound louder than they are --otherwise, I doubt Carlotta Collette (former Milwaukie city councilor and current CRC resister) would have won her Metro seat so resoundingly.

TriMet to Milwaukie: Your light-rail share is $5 million
City crafts a legal memo to protect itself from possible changes in expensive project

By Anthony Roberts

The Clackamas Review, May 27, 2008, Updated 10.5 hours ago (16 Reader comments)

TriMet officials told Milwaukie City Council last week that the city’s cost for the proposed light-rail line is $5 million, a fraction of the overall cost of the project.

Before the city moves forward on light rail, however, councilors are working to craft a legal document that would ensure TriMet makes certain improvements and lives up to promises and guarantees made throughout the light-rail process.

City council has presented TriMet with a memorandum of understanding (MOU), a 10-year agreement that would outline certain elements of transportation planning in the city. While such agreements are often non-binding, Councilor Greg Chaimov said lawyers from both sides are hashing out the agreement and considering how much weight it may hold in future deliberations.

Chaimov said the MOU came in the wake of the fallout over the Southgate site. TriMet had been working on moving the current transportation center at 21st Avenue and Harrison Street – a nightmare for downtown merchants – to the former theater site north of downtown, a move the city had been seeking for years. The transit agency pulled the plug on the project after legal troubles, leaving Milwaukie’s City Council furious.

Mayor Jim Bernard said Southgate made the MOU “even more important,” but noted that the city has wanted such an agreement for some time.

“Southgate makes it even more important. We’ve been working on this for many, many months,” he said. “Southgate just makes it so we are being more direct and this document needs to be more of a contract than a draft.”

He said the city isn’t yet close to signing off on an agreement.

“We’ve given them an agreement and basically got back nothing,” he said, “so we’re going to be very insistent with that before we move forward.”

As for the light-rail cost, $5 million is a small portion of the total cost of the project, which could run up to $1.4 billion. Most of the line runs through Portland and Multnomah County, with the largest single expense being a new bridge over the Willamette River in Portland. The project will receive more than half of its funding from the federal government, and the state has also pledged $250 million in lottery funds to the project.

bvpcvm
May 28, 2008, 6:06 AM
when i've read comments on tribune articles in the past it does seem like there's a small group (maybe 10-15) people who comment all the time. they seem to have their own little agendas and take every opportunity to whine, loudly. well, fuck them. at some point gas will get expensive enough that they'll no longer be able to afford to drive from mom's down to 7-11 and they'll be screaming that the gubmint hasn't built enough transit.

bvpcvm
May 28, 2008, 6:08 AM
also, wtf? i'm surprised to find myself agreeing with eric halstead, but why was tri-met planning to move that transit center to the middle of nowhere? the whole point is to get people to places where things are - not to parking lots on the edges of four-lane highways. i'm glad that project bit it.

IanofCascadia
May 28, 2008, 7:49 AM
Yeah, check out some of the comments on the older news stories from the newspaper of my hometown (www.tdn.com)... they are beyond ridiculous. Actually, in a way it is good that the comments became soooo idiotic since the editors had to step in. Now, in order to comment one has to register first... fixed the problem in a flash.

As to why Tri-Met is planning to the move the Transit center, I don't know. However, I would suspect...
1. Lower land values (reduced cost)
2. NIMBY Input (just look at the comments on the Tribune)
3. Perhaps to allow room for future transit oriented density (we can always hope)

bvpcvm
May 28, 2008, 8:21 AM
^ they're actually no longer planning to move it there; the plan's been canceled. but i think you're right, now that i think about it, that NIMBYs wanted it out of downtown and pushed trimet into agreeing to southgate lot. all moot now, of course.

NJD
Jun 27, 2008, 11:07 PM
Light rail steering committee chooses extension to Park Ave.
Metro likely to adopt reccomendation; One Milwaukie commissioner questions alignment choice

By Matthew Graham

The Clackamas Review, Jun 27, 2008

Regional leaders making up the Portland-to-Milwaukie light rail steering committee want the line to go behind the industrial area on north Main Street in Milwaukie, following the Tillamook rail already there, and to extend to Park Avenue in Oak Grove if the line is approved by Metro.

The committee, including Milwaukie Mayor Jim Bernard voted on the recommendation on Thursday.

Metro is likely to stick to the recommendation, Bernard said; two of the Metro commissioners were on the steering committee, and he said he’d talked to most of the others and was pretty confident in their support.

Bernard said most of Milwaukie’s desires were met, primarily the extension to Park Avenue. The alternative was a terminus on Lake Road in downtown Milwaukie.

Everyone on the steering committee was on board with [the Park Avenue extension],” Bernard said. “What I had to fight for was a commitment from the steering committee to make sure that the costs are kept in line so that the Park Avenue alignment isn’t taken away because they want a prettier bridge or another station here or there.”

He said he also fought to make sure that if the rail ends in downtown Milwaukie, it doesn’t do so for long.

“My other amendment really had to do with, if we don’t get to Park Avenue, that we make this a priority, that finishing the next project in line would be to get to Park Avenue or maybe to Oregon City,” he said.

City Council last month voted in favor of a single Milwaukie stop at Lake Road and an extension to Park Avenue. The city hasn’t, however, voted on an alignment choice. Bernard said he believed City Council would favor the Tillamook alignment over what is referred to as the 2003 Locally Preferred Alternative, which would have cut in front of the industrial area down McLoughlin and then through it near Mailwell Drive. The 2003 LPA would have directly impacted a number of businesses and probably disrupted freight access for the whole area, whereas the Tillamook alignment is only expected to impact one business.

“We haven’t really voted at City Council but I’m pretty sure that we intend to support the Tillamook branch because we had created a committee to study the affect on the industrial property at the north Main area, and the one alignment that goes through the industrial, we had looked at that and decided that the impact would be too great,” Bernard said.

City Councilor Joe Loomis, on the other hand, said he regretted having prematurely terminated the McLoughlin alignment proposed last year.

“A lot of the emails I received are kind of how I feel too, that McLoughlin would have been a better option, so that’s what I’m struggling with right now,” Loomis said. “To me the Mcloughlin alignment would have accomplished a couple of really huge things for our community, we would have had more parking at the Cash Spot site and they would have had to build a station that could cross over the to the riverfront park and I really thought that, if it didn’t have any fatal flaws, it would have accomplished that.”

Bernard told the Review two weeks ago that the alignment did have such a pitfall, though – ardent opposition from the Oregon Department of Transportation, which has invested a lot of money in refurbishing the highway in recent years.

Still, Loomis said it’s an important project and he would continue to study the reports to find the best alignment before voting on it in July.

“I’m hoping to move forward with it, because I think its an important project for then region, but its going to be a project that’s going to be here forever,” he said. “I want to put it in the right place.”

bvpcvm
Jun 28, 2008, 12:25 AM
awesome. the behind-the-industrial-area route will avoid any sharp turns, which means tri-met will have no reason to run the trains slowly.

RED_PDXer
Jun 28, 2008, 5:43 PM
awesome. the behind-the-industrial-area route will avoid any sharp turns, which means tri-met will have no reason to run the trains slowly.

I wish you were entirely correct. The schools and churches in downtown Milwaukie have been against light rail/transit for some time. It's likely the train will be limited to 25-35 mph through downtown to appease them.

bvpcvm
Jun 28, 2008, 6:48 PM
well, yeah, through downtown i guess, but that's a relatively short part of the whole route - probably equivalent to downtown gresham. except with only one or two stations. the rest of the route though should be a more or less straight shot. remember the route they wanted back in 1995? completely ridiculous - several sharp turns and a loop through downtown that would have completely slowed things down. this won't be too bad in comparison.

NJD
Jul 10, 2008, 1:39 AM
TriMet endorses Vancouver, Milwaukie light rail projects
Posted by Dylan Rivera, The Oregonian July 09, 2008 12:42PM

TriMet's board of directors gave a limited endorsement Wednesday morning to a new $4.2 billion Interstate 5 bridge, with a light-rail extension from North Portland to Vancouver.

The board also endorsed a route for a $1.4 billion rail line from downtown Portland to Milwaukie, a separate project that once was envisioned as one continuous line from Milwaukie to Vancouver.

The favored Milwaukie route would connect Oregon Health & Science University with the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. It also would have one Milwaukie stop at Lake Road near downtown and extend south of Milwaukie to Park Avenue in Clackamas County.

"I'm really excited about the potential for that line and the whole north-south coming together," said Rick Van Beveren, who represents Washington County on the board.

Milwaukie Mayor Jim Bernard and Clackamas County Chairwoman Lynn Peterson spoke in favor of the Milwaukie project.

The board's statement on the Columbia River Crossing, as the Vancouver project is known, only called for a new bridge with light rail and space for pedestrian and bike uses. It did not address the number of lanes in a new bridge or the route a rail line should take in Vancouver.

TriMet General Manager Fred Hansen said "it makes sense" to provide at least three lanes in each direction for through traffic, about what the bridge has now, and a shoulder for stalled vehicles. But he spoke against the design by Oregon and Washington bridge planners, which called for three auxiliary lanes in each direction. Those would be short lanes that would extend on and off ramps, bringing the bridge to 12 lanes.

Auxiliary lanes would be acceptable if they help meet safety and efficiency goals, but not adding car traffic, Hansen said. "Auxiliary lanes are not there for adding additional capacity for the bridge."
-- Dylan Rivera
dylanrivera@news.oregonian.com

RED_PDXer
Jul 12, 2008, 11:18 AM
TriMet endorses Vancouver, Milwaukie light rail projects
Auxiliary lanes would be acceptable if they help meet safety and efficiency goals, but not adding car traffic, Hansen said. "Auxiliary lanes are not there for adding additional capacity for the bridge."
-- Dylan Rivera
dylanrivera@news.oregonian.com

Auxiliary lanes DO increase traffic capacity. Imagine if SE Division Street had a third lane for left turning vehicles. The third, auxiliary, lane is not a through lane, but does take turning traffic out of through lanes, allowing through movements to proceed uninterrupted. More traffic capacity is thus provided without vehicles blocking the roadway all or some of the time. CRC's argument that providing 3 through lanes is not increasing capacity is totally bogus and all traffic engineers should recognize that.

tworivers
Jul 12, 2008, 8:14 PM
Auxiliary lanes would be acceptable if they help meet safety and efficiency goals, but not adding car traffic, Hansen said.

Sounds like Trimet is ready to roll over.

Sekkle
Jul 14, 2008, 2:47 PM
Auxiliary lanes DO increase traffic capacity. Imagine if SE Division Street had a third lane for left turning vehicles. The third, auxiliary, lane is not a through lane, but does take turning traffic out of through lanes, allowing through movements to proceed uninterrupted. More traffic capacity is thus provided without vehicles blocking the roadway all or some of the time. CRC's argument that providing 3 through lanes is not increasing capacity is totally bogus and all traffic engineers should recognize that.

Technically, from a traffic engineering standpoint, auxiliary lanes do not increase capacity. They do improve operational efficiency. Thus, when the argument needs to be made that certain highway improvements will not increase capacity (there are various reasons why this argument would need to be made - opposition like we're seeing to this project is just one), auxiliary lanes are a way around that. I understand what you're saying, though.

RED_PDXer
Jul 15, 2008, 4:18 AM
Technically, from a traffic engineering standpoint, auxiliary lanes do not increase capacity. They do improve operational efficiency. Thus, when the argument needs to be made that certain highway improvements will not increase capacity (there are various reasons why this argument would need to be made - opposition like we're seeing to this project is just one), auxiliary lanes are a way around that. I understand what you're saying, though.

In the end, the operational efficiency results in greater road carrying capacity during periods of peak demand. I suppose if there were no on- and off-ramps in this section of the highway, the point would be moot, but there are. Thus, the proposed 12-lane bridge with on- and off-ramps can accommodate much greater traffic flows than the current 6-lane bridge with on- and off-ramps, increasing speeds and making this route much more attractive to commuters, which will in turn overload other parts of I-5, and North Portland arterials. Vancouverites will be able to get across the river and onto North Portland streets to avoid the congestion around I-405 and the Rose Quarter.

All this for the bargain basement price of 4.something billion dollars.. As Councilor Liberty says, it'd be cheaper to buy out the dozen or so river users that need to have the drawbridge raised than to build this monstrosity..

NJD
Jul 16, 2008, 6:10 PM
Milwaukie endorses light-rail line
Commissioners raise concerns about downtown terminus; say they want Park Avenue extension

By Matthew Graham

The Clackamas Review, Jul 15, 2008,

The Milwaukie City Council Tuesday night endorsed the Tillamook alignment for the Portland to Milwaukie light-rail line, supporting the route that cuts behind the city’s north industrial sector, through downtown, and extends to Park Avenue. Council endorsed a single downtown Milwaukie stop at Lake Road.

The 4-1 vote of support mirrored the option already endorsed by both the project steering committee and the Oregon City City Commission.

The proposed 6.5-mile line would run from Southwest Jackson Street in downtown Portland south to Portland State University and the South Waterfront district, would cross the Willamette River near Oregon Museum of Science and Industry and travel south through parallel to Highway 99E/McLoughlin Boulevard.

At the northern edge of Milwaukie's north industrial area it would follow the heavy rail tracks of the Tillamook branch behind the industrial area, cutting through downtown Milwaukie and extending to Park Avenue in Oak Grove.

The project, which has been in the works for more than a decade, is expected to cost around $1.4 billion, with 60 percent coming from the federal government and $250 million from the state. Milwaukie has tentatively been asked to contribute $5 million, but Metro will continue looking for funding sources and solidifying overall cost estimates once it adopts the plan.

The city did not support the full project report pushed forward by the steering committee. Commissioners took issue with a clause in that report stating that if funding levels didn’t allow them to reach Park Place, the line would terminate at Lake Road in downtown Milwaukie.

Councilors Greg Chaimov and Susan Stone said they felt that would be a betrayal of much of what they’d heard from constituents who said they didn’t want the line to end downtown, which requires three tracks for a turnaround, a much larger impact than a single station.

Still, city and TriMet staff said the endorsement of the line gave the project enough momentum to keep pushing forward.

“The message should be council supports the project moving ahead,” said David Unsworth, TriMet’s project development manager.

He said the vote “absolutely” gives Metro and TriMet the momentum they need to push forward and to go out for funding for the project.

“This is a once in a century opportunity for Milwaukie and Milwaukie gets that,” said Kenny Asher, Milwaukie’s community development director. “With this action I have no doubt that the Metro council is going to push this on to the [Federal Transit Administration].”
Lone dissenting vote

The vote was not a final decision on light-rail line, it was merely an advisory vote for Milwaukie to tell Metro its preferences for and support of the project. Metro will make the final decision on whether the line will be built on July 24.

The dissenting vote came from Commissioner Susan Stone, who has argued that city-wide votes on light rail in the past had failed, so she felt a yes vote would betray her constituents; that such a large expenditure of transportation dollars should go to a public vote; that the rail would come through neighborhoods in defiance of a list of 14 points the community said it wanted if light-rail came through; and that the city would be better served by a streetcar system.

Some residents at the meeting echoed her concerns, saying the rail would come through neighborhoods and pass within a block of three schools and that other alignments or transit options ought to be studied.

But Mayor Jim Bernard and other commissioners have discussed the benefits of the rail. Bernard said it would be an economic boon and would help the city attract new businesses and leverage money to continue its redevelopment of downtown.

A large number of community members, including residents and representatives from the north industrial area, Dark Horse Comics and more, voiced strong support for the Tillamook alignment.

The final resolution adopted by council also contained a caveat highlighting concerns for schools, neighborhoods, parks and businesses and making a point that means of mitigating those concerns should be addressed in the Final Environmental Impact Statement.

alexjon
Jul 16, 2008, 6:22 PM
Sweet!

September 10, 2014! Downtown Portland to Milwaukie! I'll be there :D

I wonder if that shop that has the really cheap computers is there still? If not, I'll just grab grub and swing on over to the comic shop.

NJD
Jul 25, 2008, 8:36 PM
:) Metro OKs Portland-to- Milwaukie light-rail line
Vote means work begins in earnest on $1.4 billion project

By Matthew Graham
The Clackamas Review, Jul 24, 2008,

A $1.4 billion light-rail line connecting downtown Portland with Milwaukie got the green light Thursday afternoon.

Metro’s Council voted unanimously to approve the project’s land-use final order, putting the 6.5-mile line on track to be built mostly along existing rail track south through Portland’s redeveloping South Waterfront area, across the Willamette River on a new alternative transportation bridge, down Southeast 17th Avenue and then paralleling McLoughlin Boulevard to downtown Milwaukie.

Metro councilors said the project was necessary to the region’s public transportation system that could become more vital as fuel prices increased in the future.

“The heart and soul of Milwaukie has overwhelmingly supported this project,” said Metro Councilor Carlotta Collette, a former Milwaukie City Councilwoman who has worked on the light-rail project for nearly a decade.

“I want to see people taking light rail to our beautiful Riverfront Park,” she said. “I want to see people taking light rail to our new farmers market. I believe this will help revitalize downtown Milwaukie.”

Along the Tillamook line

The Portland-to-Milwaukie light-rail line has already received approval from several jurisdictions, including Portland, Milwaukie and Oregon City. Although they were just advisory votes, each jurisdiction expressed support for the project and hopes that it would boost the region’s economy.

Prior to Metro’s vote, 15 people testified on the project, nearly evenly split between those favoring the work and those opposed. Milwaukie Mayor Jim Bernard said he has long advocated for the light-rail line and urged Metro to find money that would extend it from Lake Road, where it could end, to Park Avenue, the city’s preferred terminus.

The planned 6.5-mile line would run from Southwest Jackson Street at Portland State University to the South Waterfront district, would cross the Willamette River near Oregon Museum of Science and Industry and travel south parallel to Highway 99E/McLoughlin Boulevard.

At the northern edge of Milwaukie’s north industrial area it would follow the heavy rail tracks of the Tillamook branch behind the industrial area, cutting through downtown Milwaukie and extending to Park Avenue in Oak Grove.

The project has been in the works for more than a decade. About 60 percent of the project’s funding (an estimated $750 million) would come from the federal government and $250 million from the state lottery funds.

With the vote of approval, Metro will start seeking definite funding for the project. Milwaukie has tentatively been told that its share will be $5 million. The adopted Tillamook alignment is also expected to cost $25 million less than what is referred to as the 2003 LPA, which would have run in front of and then cut through Milwaukie’s north industrial area.

The line is expected to have 25,000 trips a day by 2030.

Locally preferred alternative

Milwaukie’s main sticking point in its vote of approval was an extension to Park Avenue in Oak Grove, rather than the line terminating in downtown Milwaukie. That would cost between $100 million and $110 million because of the difficulty of crossing Kellogg Creek. Oregon’s Department of Transportation has said it opposes any road-level crossing of the creek along McLoughlin Boulevard.

But Bernard and representatives from TriMet said all of the parties at the table want the line extended to Park Avenue. TriMet plans a regional park-and-ride lot in the area with about 1,000 parking spaces.

A “locally preferred alternative” report, however, included a stipulation that if funding for the extension isn’t found, the line would end at Lake Road in downtown Milwaukie.

:) Metro: 'Yes' to Milwaukie light-rail line
Transit - The vote allows for a study and a request for $750 million in federal funds
Friday, July 25, 2008
DYLAN RIVERA and PETER ZUCKERMAN
The Oregonian Staff

After more than a decade of debate and a failed referendum, the Metro Council has unanimously endorsed plans to extend light rail from Portland to Milwaukie.

The $1.4 billion project would build the first Willamette River bridge in downtown Portland since 1973 and extend light rail to the growing southeast section of the metro area. The line would have a stop in the South Waterfront and the bridge would carry the Portland Streetcar, buses, bicyclists and pedestrians -- but no cars.

The vote clears the way for a more thorough study of the line and a request for $750 million in federal money.

The project also received unanimous though less-enthusiastic support Thursday from Clackamas County commissioners, who expressed concern about public outreach.

Regional leaders see the Milwaukie line as the fulfillment of a decades-long promise to connect the southeast metro area to downtown with mass transit. The line would put more than 22,000 households and almost 89,000 workers within walking distance of a rail station, Metro estimates.

Most Milwaukie-area elected officials have endorsed the rail line and worked to get money for it, including $250 million from the Legislature last year that gave the project a massive boost. That's a big change from the late 1990s, when voters there rejected it and recalled the mayor and two council members over rail and other concerns.

Carlotta Collette, a former Milwaukie City Council member who represents the area on the Metro Council, said the city's feelings have turned around. "The heart and soul of Milwaukie has overwhelmingly supported this project -- at farmers markets and neighborhood meetings."

The bridge would connect Oregon Health & Science University with the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, and each plans to expand its campus beside the rail stations.

The line also would connect Southeast Portland neighborhoods such as Hosford-Abernethy, Brooklyn and Sellwood, and speed bus lines that now cross bridges farther south.

About a dozen people testified at the Metro Council. Some were skeptical that rail would reduce congestion but others were hopeful it could reduce dependency on cars.

At its southern reaches, the preferred route would run through Milwaukie beside a freight railroad known as the Tillamook Branch, stop at Lake Road in Milwaukie and end at Park Avenue in the Oak Grove section of Clackamas County.

Paul Savas, echoing complaints from other county residents at the commissioners meeting, said Clackamas County "failed Citizen Involvement 101." He and others said planners ignored concerns from Oak Grove residents and pooh-poohed worries about crime and lost business.

Commissioners noted that the county, TriMet and Metro have sent fliers and held open houses and public meetings about the proposed rail line.

Next week, transit planners expect to apply for federal permission to start preliminary engineering, a key step in landing federal money. If all goes well, the line could open in 2015.

alexjon
Jul 25, 2008, 8:54 PM
Bob Pampl-- I mean Robert Pamplin Jr. is devoting literal HOURS of airtime on KPAM each day to opposition.

NJD
Aug 7, 2008, 1:06 AM
nothing new...

Metro Council gives final land-use approval for S.E. light rail project

The Bee, Aug 6, 2008

On Thursday, July 24th, the Metro Council unanimously approved two decisions intended to make way for more detailed engineering work and environmental analysis on the Portland-Milwaukie segment of the “South Corridor Light Rail Project”.

The Council approved the Land Use Final Order, which finalizes light rail routes, station locations, and park-and-ride facilities. Additionally, its approval of the “Locally Preferred Alternative” affirms intent finally to construct light rail in this transportation corridor.

The approval confirms the light rail route from the downtown Portland Transit Mall into South Waterfront, across the Willamette River, through southeast Portland and into Milwaukie and north Clackamas County. It also identifies stations and park and rides along the route. A Metro spokesperson commented, “The project will provide reliable transit options and enhance the regional light rail system.”

The long-delayed Inner Southeast light rail project will initially consist of a 7.4-mile run of track, originating in downtown Portland and ending just south of Milwaukie at Oak Grove.

Specifically, the new line will run between S.W. 4th and 5th Avenues near Portland State University in Portland, and Park Avenue in Oak Grove, and will follow the Tillamook Branch railroad alignment in the North Milwaukie Industrial area through downtown Milwaukie.

The project includes a Willamette River crossing between S.W. Mead and S.W. Porter Streets to an eastern landing near S.E. Sherman Street, just south of the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI). The bridge will carry light rail, busses, and any future Portland Streetcar route, and includes a 12-foot pathway for cyclists and pedestrians.

“This light rail line will provide numerous benefits,” said Metro Councilor Robert Liberty, who represents Inner Southeast Portland. “More than 22,000 households or 50,000 people live within walking distance of the stations, 14,000 riders per day will have a less time-consuming commute, and drivers on the Ross Island Bridge will see less congestion, because busses will be diverted to the new structure.”

Though the specific light rail stations on the line are yet to be finalized, it includes up to eleven stops. Stations will likely be located in the area of S.W. Lincoln Street and S.W. Harbor Drive; in the South Waterfront development; at OMSI; at S.E. Clinton Street; S.E. Rhine Street; S.E. Holgate Boulevard; S.E. Bybee Boulevard; S.E. Tacoma Street; Lake Road in downtown Milwaukie; and at the line’s terminus at Park Avenue in Oak Grove.

Some controversy and much local support centered on the longest gap between the stations on the line — between Holgate and Bybee Boulevards — where planning in the early 1990’s had indicated a station would be sited to serve the north end of Westmoreland. Although considerable local interest revived what is now proposed as a Harold Street station, with positive support from the Citizens Advisory Committee, the Sellwood-Moreland Improvement League (SMILE), and Reed College, the Harold Street proposal was thought by Metro and Tri-Met to be too costly to include in the initial construction plans.

Due to the prediction of a computer model, there also was concern that the one-minute delay to the transit time of trains occasioned by stopping at Harold Street could discourage Clackamas County riders from using the service.

However, the plan adopted by Metro includes an official plan for “a future station at Harold Street on McLoughlin Boulevard”, which reportedly will mean that the tracks will be constructed south of S.E. Harold on the east side of McLoughlin Boulevard in such a way as to have the necessary spacing and configuration to allow construction of a future station there.

The Metro Council vote follows approvals from Clackamas and Multnomah counties, the cities of Portland, Milwaukie, and Oregon City, and the Oregon Department of Transportation.

The line is expected to cost between $1.25 and $1.4 billion. Funding will come from the Federal Transit Administration, lottery-backed bonds approved by the Oregon legislature, and local shares, with contributions from Metro, Tri-Met, Clackamas County, and the cities of Portland and Milwaukie.

Metro is leading the Portland-Milwaukie project in partnership with Tri-Met, the Oregon Department of Transportation the cities of Milwaukie, Portland, and Oregon City, and Clackamas and Multnomah Counties.

zilfondel
Aug 7, 2008, 5:31 PM
What? The bridge will only have a single 12' ped+bike way?

We're going to have major pedestrian traffic jams on the bridge!

JordanL
Aug 7, 2008, 7:09 PM
What? The bridge will only have a single 12' ped+bike way?

We're going to have major pedestrian traffic jams on the bridge!

From all those people walking to the south eastside industrial area?

NJD
Aug 7, 2008, 11:49 PM
^^What? The bridge will only have a single 12' ped+bike way?
The City of Portland has listed a 20' wide minimum if there is to be only one ped/bicycle lane across the bridge as a parameter for accepting the LPA. 12' for each side if two.

^ From all those people walking to the south eastside industrial area? Yes. With the congruence of the Springwater trail, Eastbank Esplanade, Clinton and Lincoln bike boulevards, and a potential new connector along the MAX tracks from the river to 17th Avenue (as mentioned also in the LPA decision).

JordanL
Aug 8, 2008, 8:23 AM
Yes. With the congruence of the Springwater trail, Eastbank Esplanade, Clinton and Lincoln bike boulevards, and a potential new connector along the MAX tracks from the river to 17th Avenue (as mentioned also in the LPA decision).

I would only ever walk through there grudgingly...

The Eastbank Esplanade will never be a generally attractive place to walk until they do something about I-5 and the Marqam Bridge.

alexjon
Aug 8, 2008, 3:39 PM
I think it's 12' on both sides?

zilfondel
Aug 8, 2008, 10:42 PM
From all those people walking to the south eastside industrial area?

You clearly haven't been down there when its busy. Last Saturday it took me almost 45 minutes just to walk across the Hawthorne bridge, because there were so many people.

They should have 12' pedestrian + 12' bicycle (eastbound) + 12' bicycle (westbound) at a minimum.

I would only ever walk through there grudgingly...

The Eastbank Esplanade will never be a generally attractive place to walk until they do something about I-5 and the Marqam Bridge.

Ten's of thousands of people use the Eastband Esplanade everyday. You don't have to, but that doesn't mean it is not used.

JordanL
Aug 9, 2008, 7:29 AM
You clearly haven't been down there when its busy. Last Saturday it took me almost 45 minutes just to walk across the Hawthorne bridge, because there were so many people.

I take the Hawthorne bridge every day, however the Hawthorne Bridge dumps right into Tom McCall Waterfront Park, not a development area a mile south boxed in by the Marqam and Ross Island bridges.

Unless it's not crossing at the south waterfront.

Ten's of thousands of people use the Eastband Esplanade everyday. You don't have to, but that doesn't mean it is not used.

So somewhere on the order of 4-10% of the population of Portland uses the Easbank Esplanade everyday? Seeing as Trimet doesn't crack 20% on a busy day, I'm gonna have to say bullshit.

(And are you really trying to tell me you don't think that the construction and zoning around and of I-5 on the east bank impedes foot traffic?)

And for the record, my name is in the original pamphlet for the Eastbank Esplanade that Vera Katz had. She didn't even ask to use my name. ;)

zilfondel
Aug 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
(And are you really trying to tell me you don't think that the construction and zoning around and of I-5 on the east bank impedes foot traffic?)

No, I'm saying quite the opposite: many people have to walk all the way up to the Hawthorne Bridge because you cannot cross at the Marquam or Morrison bridges. So, in fact, a new crossing would likely be a draw for additional people to cross the river by foot or bicycle, as it would be closer and more convenient than walking a 1/2 mile out of your way.

So somewhere on the order of 4-10% of the population of Portland uses the Easbank Esplanade everyday? Seeing as Trimet doesn't crack 20% on a busy day, I'm gonna have to say bullshit.

I do not know precisely how many people are using it; my point is that during the busy times of day it can be extremely crowded (http://bikeportland.org/2005/11/21/hawthorne-bridge-gets-new-markings/)and "congested (http://bikeportland.org/2008/04/09/what-happens-during-a-bridge-lift-in-portland/)" by pedestrians and cyclists. Since the Hawthorne bridge has 2x10' sidewalks, it would seem prudent that this new bridge have larger ones, to accommodate Portland's increasing population.

For instance, ped & bike traffic on the bridges is increasing exponentially (http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=158296).

also... (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=44671)

More than five percent of city residents report that they usually bicycle to work. For those who do not use a bicycle as their primary means of transportation, another 9% report the bicycle as the "other mode" they use instead of their primary mode. While rates of bicycle use vary across the city, both for primary and secondary use, we see that approximately 14% of city residents reported using a bicycle for commuting in 2006. This is a significant increase from the reported 11.4% reported as recently as 2004.

urbanlife
Aug 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
14% percent, just another reason why I love this damn city.

RoseCtyRoks
Nov 4, 2008, 8:49 AM
Here's a little more about the Milwaukee light rail bridge designs......they've narrowed it down a bit, but nothing definite. Check out the link to the cable-stayed design about half way down the page; it has some great examples of actual bridges of this design, which LOOKS the best, imo.

http://www.portlandspaces.net/blog/the-burnside-blog/2008/11/1/winning-strategies-for-bridge

PDX City-State
Nov 4, 2008, 4:33 PM
Nice to see the Burnside Blog alive again. I love the cable-stayed option as well. It reminds me of the new Bob Kerrey bridge in Omaha. This type of bridge is very emblematic of the current style of bridge building. It would be a nice addition.

pdxman
Nov 16, 2008, 2:34 AM
Just discovered Trimet's more organized, complete website on the south corridor project. Not sure how long its been there but here it is: http://www.trimet.org/pm/

pdxtraveler
Nov 17, 2008, 3:55 PM
Just discovered Trimet's more organized, complete website on the south corridor project. Not sure how long its been there but here it is: http://www.trimet.org/pm/

Great find! That has to be new, I was just on the Trimet site looking for info and it was pretty lacking. Though I noticed the openning date has moved out about 3 years (or is that my mistake). I thought it was 2012 not 2015. But with things in the world the way they are I am happy that is still in progress!

65MAX
Nov 18, 2008, 10:16 AM
Not 2012. The original completion date was 2013, then 2014, but that was never carved in stone (obviously). The timetable now seems a little more realistic.

RoseCtyRoks
Dec 8, 2008, 9:30 AM
The two choices for the new Willamette bridge (Milwaukee) are the Cable Stay, and the Wave design. More concept info from the committee will be coming out this thurs for the public to view.

Get 'er done!!!!!! Which would you choose from what you see so far, and are you for this project in general?

:rolleyes:

http://www.portlandspaces.net/blog/the-burnside-blog/2008/12/7/willamette-crossing-s-fork-in-the-road

IanofCascadia
Dec 8, 2008, 5:11 PM
Personally, I much prefer the cable-stayed design (the engineer in me has always gotta come for things like this) but I admit that I think the design should be tweaked a little. Portland's first non-automotive bridge should be domineering and prominent, not something that looks like it was designed to "fit in". To me, the beauty of something such as a major bridge should be in the synergy of the engineering and aesthetics. I say make it proud.

urbanlife
Dec 8, 2008, 5:45 PM
http://www.archi-europe.info/Archinews/032006/2portrait.jpg

the bridge in Rotterdam come always comes to mind. They took the cable stay bridge and made something unique out of it, rather than just another cable stay bridge.

65MAX
Dec 8, 2008, 6:15 PM
^^^^
Agreed. Cable-stayed doesn't have to look like the same old-same old. Every major city has one. Take the Rotterdam example and make it unique and distinguishable from the others.

tworivers
Dec 8, 2008, 6:54 PM
I also prefer the idea of a customized cable stay design. And I'm not too keen on the idea of using the Marquam as a contextual landmark, "background bridge" or not. I'm holding out hope that in the not-too-distant future it will go Ross Island-new bridge-Hawthorne, and that horizon hogging monstrosity will be gone.

zilfondel
Dec 9, 2008, 1:40 AM
I want the wave-form, actually. I like its low profile as compared to the hills...

RED_PDXer
Dec 9, 2008, 2:58 AM
Aesthetically, I like the cable-stayed more. The detail of the cables provides a nice modern contrast to the sleek towers of the South Waterfront. Then there's the cost.. The wave-frame is an untested and structurally more complicated design that will most likely lead to cost overruns and project delays. I appreciate good design as much as the next skyscraper forum nut, but I'd rather have the difference in cost put toward better service on the new light rail line and jumpstarting TODs at each of the station areas by acquiring land for new high density developments. Sorry for being pragmatic..

65MAX
Dec 9, 2008, 11:21 AM
I also love the wave form bridge, but it would be overwhelmed by the Marquam. Since the Marquam is unfortunately with us for the next 50-100 years, I'd rather have a design that would diminish the Marquam as much as possible. A cable-stayed bridge right next to it would do that. But it has to be unique, otherwise it will look like any other city's bridge.