PDA

View Full Version : [Pitt Meadows] Meadows Gate | 10 floors | Completed

j4893k
Oct 3, 2007, 2:19 AM
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/2de3e3f6-b472-4835-9142-3ead50913788/tower.jpg?size=l
image from http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/index.html

BY BRUCE CONSTANTINEAU, Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Three 10-storey condo towers will soon sprout from the heart of Pitt Meadows town centre, more than doubling the height of the city's current tallest buildings.

The rural community's skyline will change dramatically after the $80-million Meadows Gate project is completed by late 2009.

The concrete towers and a four-storey wood-frame building will contain 241 housing units and 20,000 square feet of commercial space at the corner of Harris and Ford roads.

"That amount of housing units and commercial space is big for this city so it's really quite an important development," Pitt Meadows acting city planner Ron Boyes said in an interview. "If it's successful as we expect it will be, it should be a magnet for other development."

He noted the project is situated in a strategic location in the town centre, near city hall and a future civic square. It's also just two blocks from a West Coast Express train station.

Construction on the site - currently a vacant, run-down shopping plaza - is scheduled to start in December, with completion by the fall of 2009.

Project marketing director Nick Askew said the development will benefit from the expansion of the Pitt River Bridge and Translink's Golden Ears Bridge project linking Langley with Maple Ridge, due for completion in late 2009.

Sales of units in the project's first tower will begin later this month, with units ranging from 567 square feet to more than 1,300 square feet and prices ranging from about $220,000 to more than $500,000. More than 1,000 potential buyers have already registered with the project.

Askew said the target market includes locals looking to downsize from single-family homes, investors who expect values to appreciate and first-time buyers attracted by the relatively affordable prices.

Boyes said the city will assess the impact of the new condo towers before determining if others will follow.

"We're looking at the redevelopment of certain other commercial areas that could be spurred on by this," he said. "They may want to look at this sort of development so maybe we will see some others."

But Pitt Meadows won't experience explosive growth because the current Metro Vancouver regional plan calls for the city to have a maximum population of about 21,000 to 22,000, from the current estimate of 17,000 people.

Meadows Gate is being developed by Vancouver-based RG Properties, whose other projects include Skyreach Place in Kelowna, Planet Ice in Coquitlam and Maple Ridge and the Pitt Meadows Family Recreation Centre.

j4893k
Oct 3, 2007, 2:40 AM
Not anything too special but it's pretty significant considering it's the first condo tower in Pitt Meadows. I wonder if the new regional plan will allow more population in the area if LRT or Skytrain is eventually extended there.

SpongeG
Oct 3, 2007, 3:32 AM
is that one the site where the movie theatre was? that placed died off when the theatre pulled out and the new centre opened just down lougheed

j4893k
Oct 3, 2007, 3:47 AM
I honestly have no idea. Rarely do I go to Pitt Meadows, I just bumped into this while reading the Sun online. Does anyone else have any background info about the project?

David
Oct 3, 2007, 5:54 AM
I am very familiar with Pitt Meadows -- it's like my 2nd hometown ;)

It is not located on the site of the old movie theatre.
It is here - the strip mall right on the SW corner of Harris and Ford (harrison ford??)
the civic complex is right south of it
and the article is not exaggerating about it being a vacant strip mall... there is literally NOTHING there. It's sad.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=pitt+meadows,+bc&ie=UTF8&ll=49.22197,-122.690592&spn=0.003188,0.009892&t=h&z=17&om=1

hollywoodnorth
Oct 3, 2007, 11:55 AM
yup i know that site well......great project for the city :)

SpongeG
Oct 3, 2007, 9:08 PM
ah ok - i have passed it about once